• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

I can think of at least three things she doesn't know she wants but probably would if she knew about them.

1) The data gathered on the Anti-Moniter fragment.

2) The data gathered during his fight with Krona.

3) An introduction to the Sivana's.

Would you like an imaginary pacifier with that equally pointless comment?

Would you like an imaginary pacifier with that equally pointless comment?
I'm not trying to thread-police but that is kind of uncalled for. The vast majority of comments posted basically anywhere could be classified as pointless, just because you don't like the person who posted something is no reason to do this.

If you have something actually against what they posted or an actual response then fine, but it seems pointlessly uncalled for to do this.

12th April
22:03 GMT -5

I'm not looking forward to this.

But there's never going to be a good time. I'm at home, sitting on the settee and I'm as up to date on Earth affairs as I can reasonably be.

"Ring, contact Clarissi Dox."
Ah, meetings with the boss, always a fun time. Do wonder how the old boy's getting on...

Compliance. Call pending.

I offered to book Koriand'r in at a hotel, but she preferred to take Alan up on his offer of m-. Of his spare room. My old room. Jade's apartment doesn't have a second bedroom or I'd have offered to put her up myself. She appears to be enjoying her time on Earth so far, including the alien starfish fight. I suppose that there are only so many times you can fight pirates who's ships aren't capable of threatening a Lantern before it starts to get a bit dull.
Even a Tamaranean can get bored with easy wins. Good thing she's had a change of scene before she stopped wanting to do it.

Good news about the healing rays. KordTech's valuation -and Ted's personal wealth- was increased hugely by his magic weather control system, and unlike in the field of power generation there don't appear to be any competitors. Which surprises me a little; Mark Mardon may be resident in Iron Heights but his technology exists. I've strongly been considering trying to resurrect his brother to get access to it myself, but… Perhaps that doesn't have the best of associations.
Weather Wizard is a bit too interested in being a Rogue, I suspect. Can't see the forest of possible profit for the trees of superheroic interference.

"Illustres."

"Clarissi."

No facial projection. That's usually a fifty-fifty with Dox, and I haven't noticed a particular pattern. I assume it's based on whether he's working on something he actually needs to look at or not.
At least he hasn't fobbed you off on a backup VI simulation. I would not be surprised if he had that set up, just in case.

"Slight problem."

"I am aware that Manga Khan resigned. The fleet which you requested remains en-route to Earth and you already have the authority to replace him."
Good, they're actually in OL's chain of command this time? That was half the problem with Manga Khan...

"He quit after the outermost planet in our system turned out to have a Mother Star inside it. In point of fact is was mostly Mother Star by mass. The Mother Star is dead and we think we got all of the rest of the Star Conquerors. The Mother Star's corpse is currently in-system. Sending scans now."
And he's so matter-of-fact about it. When did something like Pluto being a giant starfish stop being amazing?

"A shame that no record of the bioengineers who created these macroorganism exists."

"Preliminary investigations suggest that it was magic. I'm still looking into how it was achieved. Do we have any telepathic Lanterns available?"
Raiding the still-functional chunks of brain for useful data? I suppose it'd take a hell of a long time to decompose, if it did at all.

"Lantern Nax may become available in the future, but at the moment I need her to focus on countering Reach bio-infiltration techniques. The L.E.G.I.O.N. xenology team will have to suffice for now."

I nod.

"I'm sure we'll cope. Earth is getting the expertise required, but we're still organising things. Is the fleet briefed on the Sheeda?"
With any luck, that's the only Earth Bullshit they'll have to deal with. Until the next random thing comes along. Seriously, who wrote the random encounter tables for Earth?

"The limited information you assembled was included in their briefing documents. Do you have any information indicating that their return is imminent?"

"Depends what you mean by imminent. I'd say 'yes', but given the time frame involved and the recent incident with Krona that could be years away. The only good news is that it can't have already happened."
So, he's expecting them 'Real Soon™' Which means anytime now, but probably the worst possible moment possible.

"If I thought that anyone understood what changes you made at Vanishing Point I would accuse you of misusing your language's temporal tenses."

"I can't give away what I don't know. Though I do know a couple of time travellers if you want me to try and get a more helpful answer."
Abra Cadabra, and presumably Nylor Truggs? Though the latter may take some tracking down.

"Do so. You should strongly consider them as recruitment candidates."

"I.. don't think either of them like me well enough for me to want to risk giving them a power ring."
Truggs is probably the last person you want to give a ring... And yet a damn good candidate, because he knows what he wants and how to go about getting it.

"Work on them. We may require their expertise."

I nod. "Since the Sheeda are time travellers, I might be able to persuade them to cooperate that way. It's not in either of their interests for our civilisation to be destroyed."
Yeah, their timelines weren't nice places to start with, but having the Sheeda stomp on them might not improve them.

"Whatever you think best."

I nod.

"One other minor thing. Lantern Koriand'r has been experimenting with Alan Scott's ring and she's got rather a knack for it. Have you given any thought to us expanding the range of colours we use?"
Ah, going straight to the top? Best way to get some action on it, I suppose.

"Why?"

"Useful people respond better to other colours. Plus, if we don't, someone else might. I can talk to Lantern Ferris about having her train Violets, we have Alan for Blues, and I'm sure that we could find someone for other colours."
Shouldn't be too hard to find good candidates. Might be worth going in search of the Indigo Corps, try and get them onside.

"Other versions of you, for example."

I'm glad he didn't mention Sinestro, if only because for him to do that he'd have to have already decided to do it.
I suppose you might get Sinestro's interest by pushing the law and order angle. Just have to keep a handle on his preference for being the guy in charge...

"I'm not sure how to get in touch with all of them, but yes. I'm a fairly reasonable guy. There's almost certainly things we could trade for their help."

"I'll talk to unaligned multusians about it, though I'd rather not split our focus. The Controllers are being somewhat slow in aiding us in building up our fleet resources."
Figures. Too many super-weapon projects on the side?

"Perhaps some of them would prefer other colours as well?"

"It's possible. Is there anything else?"

"No, that's it, thank you. Illustres out."
Well, that went well. I suppose Dox isn't the kins to go in for shouting over the comm. Though he might have a bit of a headache after talking with OL.

I lower my left hand, mentally accessing Lantern Nax's file. Ah. Well, I'm working with the entire Sivana family, I can't really complain. That sort of thing is why I'd wouldn't have minded getting a psion or two on staff. Though I suppose that a dominator's cold disinterest would be better than a psions active malice.

Or maybe a scientist from New Genesis? I doubt that they'd go for it…
Better to look for people who won't be assholes in the name of Science!

I sigh inwardly.

Next call.
Ah, some days you just can't get away from the phone...

"Call Kalmin."

"Compliance."
Feeling him out about another Blue Ring, eh?

"What?"

"Thank you for taking this call."
Eh, Kalmin doesn't give a toss about politeness, does he? Down to business!

"Still alive then, Illustres?"

"So far. Look, Alan's ring and personal lantern are working really well. He's rejuvenated, he find making constructs… Fairly intuitive. What would I have to do to persuade you to make another one?"

"Another blue ring?"
And now Kalmin has a headache. Probably thinking 'Damn Humans...'

"Yes."

"The process is catalysed by my emotions. To make another one I would have to have something new to hope for. And that's not even counting the payment."
Oh, boy. What's he going to ask for this time? given the hoops OL had to jump through for Alan's Lantern.

I nod slowly.

"What sort of payment would you want?"
Please be something easy...

"Sinestro's head. I can't think of anything else that I want."

"I'll get back to you. Illustres out."
...Fuuuuuck. Couldn't be something fun, could it, Kalmin?

A nice quite moment, touching base with his co-workers. At least now he has a decent goal, if a grisly one. And confirmation that the fleet he asked for on Venturia's behalf is actually en-route. So some progress on that front. What next, I wonder?

...fight pirates who's ships aren't...
Perhaps 'whose' might fit better here? I'm not an expert...
"I'll talk to unaligned multusians about it...
"I'll talk to unaligned maltusians about it...
He's rejuvenated, he find making constructs…
He's rejuvenated, he finds making constructs…

I'm not trying to thread-police but that is kind of uncalled for. The vast majority of comments posted basically anywhere could be classified as pointless, just because you don't like the person who posted something is no reason to do this.

If you have something actually against what they posted or an actual response then fine, but it seems pointlessly uncalled for to do this.
Let's look at the actual content of his post. It basically said, here's stuff she doesn't know, which alright. And yes, you are right that if it was any other person I wouldn't have replied, but given the reputation Vearmina has built for himself, his comment looked like another thinly-veiled complaint, and one without any substance to it either.

So... Here's a question...

Why doesn't he just ask the guy to send him a copy of the Blueprints so Alan can make his own rings?

I think this was brought up in the story earlier, something about Alan not really knowing how.

Found it:

"He doesn't seem like the sort of fellow who'd be slow to tell you if he'd learned to do something he thinks you can't do." He frowns slightly. "You can't, right?"

"I haven't yet. I probably can. But… I can get as many orange power rings as I want, and I can't make a new ring without already having a ring. Making a lantern is useful because I can do it when I have some charge but don't have access to my personal lantern, which is.. why I learned to make one."

"So you can't coach me."

I shrug. "Sorry."

"Oh, no. It could be an interesting change of pace. You know, back in the forties, Ted asked me how my ring worked. I guess he thought I made it myself."

I frown. "Ted Grant, or-."

Alan shakes his head. "No, no, Knight. I let him run a few tests, but we didn't really learn anything." He shakes his head. "After that, I just figured it was beyond human science."

get that mask that can make others feel any emotion you want, use it when fighting sinestro to make him feel hope, which should make him unable to use his yellow ring (unless im mistaken?), then kill him.

or team up with alan to fight him.

easy.

the outermost planet in our system
Pluto is not a planet. If it were, then Haumea, Makemake, and Eris would all be planets as well, and analysis of the Kuiper Belt indicates that there could be anywhere from 200 to 70,000 more objects out there of comparable size. Unless you're prepared for the list of planets to get really long, to the point of irrelevancy Pluto, unfortunately, just doesn't belong.

Pluto is not a planet. If it were, then Haumea, Makemake, and Eris would all be planets as well, and analysis of the Kuiper Belt indicates that there could be anywhere from 200 to 70,000 more objects out there of comparable size. Unless you're prepared for the list of planets to get really long, to the point of irrelevancy Pluto, unfortunately, just doesn't belong.

Maybe OL should invetigate Haumea, Makemake and Eris to see if they have Mother Stars in them as well.

Maybe OL should invetigate Haumea, Makemake and Eris to see if they have Mother Stars in them as well.
I, guess? I mean, it does seem very coincidental that the one plutoid that was discovered back in the early 20th century just happened to be the one that's mostly a Mother Star, and there's no reason not to suspect some of the others of being something similar. Then again, it is Earth, with it's massively powerful bullshit field (aka magic), so it could be causal.

Might be something to schedule for a lazy afternoon.

He won't really go for that, right?

Koriandr is not so important that her changing ring colour justifies going against Sinestro.

Koriandr is not so important that her changing ring colour justifies going against Sinestro.
Watsonian: OL is powered by desire, if he wants to get Koriandr a blue ring, he's gonna get Koriandr a blue ring.

Doylist: She's a potential waifu and OL has done less reasonable things just to be nice before.

It's not just for Corriander.

Watsonian: OL is powered by desire, if he wants to get Koriandr a blue ring, he's gonna get Koriandr a blue ring.

Doylist: She's a potential waifu and OL has done less reasonable things just to be nice before.

Paul wants to make the Blue and Vioet Corps subsidiaries of the Orange Corps, or at least heavily affiliated.

So... Here's a question...

Why doesn't he just ask the guy to send him a copy of the Blueprints so Alan can make his own rings?
How are power rings made?
The hard way. Unlike in the older comics the power rings in this setting do not have the 'deputisation protocol' that briefly made a reappearance during Blackest Night. Forging a power ring or a personal lantern is a work that requires incredible spiritual discipline and technical skill.
Not exactly assembling IKEA furniture here.

The drones start reducing their acceleration in order to avoid flying past me, making shooting them a little easier. The ones in a direct line start to die en masse but I'm aware that the swarm is starting to loop back and surround me. Since I'm not slowing and the angle isn't good for them at the moment I'm not taking extra hits myself, but that will change when the form up behind me.
when they form up
"But anyway, I hope that consider staying on anyway. You might get offered a power ring eventually, and even if you don't I'm sure that the Darkstars would love to have someone with your abilities."
that you consider
I generate a shield in front of me bearing the orange sigil and I stop retreating, allowing them to close the distance. Their energy pulses slam into it accurately enough, though I'm sure that if it were me shooting like that Christopher would be patting me on the shoulder and referring to me as 'son'.
perhaps make the link local?

ditto
ditto
A cave, a forest, a.. desire set that I've felt before. Soldiers in blue and white armour, humanoid, an officer in familiar-looking robes… A near-humanoid with a slightly pointed oval head. The boy has black sclera, an unusual trait, but one which-
ditto
"When I first arrived on this Earth, I had a ring but to lantern. My ring could locate other people's lanterns, and I found one in New York that no one appeared to be using."
ring but no lantern
"Colonel." I raise my hands slightly. "No one is more disinterested that me in reopening this definitively closed murder investigation. I am simply doing medical research."
than me in
Beryl raises her eyebrows at me, but I just nod. "'Rip Hunter'. Do you think I should tell people that my first name is 'Esk'?"

"Esk-?" I make a show of wincing. "Oh, that's terrib- " I open my empathic vision all the way, steeling myself as I do so. "-father."
I'm not understanding the joke here
He smiles at the memory. "-I saw something beautiful." He shakes his head. "Batman, I have seen life's purpose, and now it is my owen. That." He points to the window. "That is not life. That is…"
my own?
"The magic does not transport you anywhere. What you see is what should be here, if it had not been taken ehway. Your tattoos, your wards? They will not affect it."
taken away?
That… "So we should expect an upswing in the number of neophyte superheroes?" Maybe I need to spend more time with the Alliance.
localize the link?
The air glows orange as-. No, darn it! The orange glow is beaten back, the flames positively leaping towards it! What's left? The Ace is no good, didn't bring the Hellblazer with me and the tiny samples of kaahuite I have left over probably won't be much healthier for the burning angel than the flames themselves…
perhaps the link should be made local?
The campaign of demonisation and racism that was generated by their efforts stymies rational discussion on drug law to this day. And then you're got the CIA's involvement in all kinds of things that frankly make me sick to my stomach."
*blinks* I forget why I quoted this one
Broken link
Broken link?
Like batarians, gordanians are perfectly happy to enslave one another.
I don't see a typo so I think there was something about the link that needed fixing but I don't remember what
"Are you..?" Zatanna looks me over, blushing under her makeup, then averts her eyes. "Are you sure about this?"

"It was this, or go and work at Taco Whiz for a week with Diana and Kon."

I straighten my bustier.

"I've made my choice."
*blinks* what the heck is up with wonder woman working at a taco whiz?
I fly at speed, mindful not to outrace Koriand'r. The ClusterShip's guns aren't even trying to track me, and the shield emitters are visible wrecked around the docking sphere. Its main reactors are non-volatile -if only to cut down on costs- so I'm not worried about the ship itself being a trap. Being an explosive trap anyway; we'll still need to detain everyone we encounter in case they've been subverted.
visibly

Finally caught up on the main story... You Sir are an amazing author! keep up the great work!

when they form up
that you consider
Thank you, corrected.
perhaps make the link local?
ditto
ditto
ditto
No, I think I'll leave/make them them as links to the main story threads.
ring but no lantern
than me in
Thank you, corrected.
I'm not understanding the joke here
I... Think they were just trying to confuse Mr Hunter or make him think about specific things.
Accent.
localize the link?
perhaps the link should be made local?
As above.
*blinks* I forget why I quoted this one
No point asking me.
No good. I can't remember what the original looked like. Does anyone have any good armoured gorilla pictures?
Huh. Weird.
I don't see a typo so I think there was something about the link that needed fixing but I don't remember what
Can't help you there.
*blinks* what the heck is up with wonder woman working at a taco whiz?
Themyscira was in a parallel universe and the Justice League was shut down. She was broke and needed the job.
Thank you, corrected.
Finally caught up on the main story... You Sir are an amazing author! keep up the great work!
And I finally caught up with your corrections!

One point nobody seems to have made. Kalmin asked for Sinestro's head as payment for a new blue ring for Kory. This wouldn't be a problem at all, particularly if the agreement is for him to complete the ring and lantern before receiving payment.

Because, after all, he never specified that said head couldn't still be attached to its body...

Yes, but that's obviously Wilson. I need one that could be of the gorilla at the back.

Justice-Underground.jpg

How much hope would Kalmin feel if Paul delivered Sinestro's head, but with the rest of him attached? An opportunity to personally kill the man who ruined his standing on Qward seems like the sort of pleasant surprise to stir the blue light.

Well, the text in the chapter had the SI unable to tell if "that's actual power armour or he's just that big", and most art of Grodd that I can find has him wearing two pauldrons and a helmet at most so... ok, found some that fit. How about this?
I appreciate the effort, but that's clearly strapped on.
How much hope would Kalmin feel if Paul delivered Sinestro's head, but with the rest of him attached? An opportunity to personally kill the man who ruined his standing on Qward seems like the sort of pleasant surprise to stir the blue light.
Not really. Kalmin wouldn't hate the opportunity, but he's a Weaponer, not a Thunderer. He makes weapons for other people and they do the killing for him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back