• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

I'm kinda hoping that Canis asks OL later, why? Why not let her go?

Why try to fix things?

And OL, being the kind of monster he is, explains that the reason he does almost anything, is because he wants the Universe to Work a certain way.

And, if he was a little less... solid.... that way, Canis would most likely be dead, eaten by barely controlled Orange Light.

(I call him a monster, because he's not really human any more, is he?)

I'm kinda hoping that Canis asks OL later, why? Why not let her go?

Why try to fix things?

And OL, being the kind of monster he is, explains that the reason he does almost anything, is because he wants the Universe to Work a certain way.

And, if he was a little less... solid.... that way, Canis would most likely be dead, eaten by barely controlled Orange Light.

(I call him a monster, because he's not really human any more, is he?)

Just because Paul may no longer have a human mindset doesn't mean that he's a monster.

Plenty of humans can be monsters.

Paul is abnormal but he's not some sadistic creature that enjoys suffering and pain.

Would you call the likes of Diana and Koriand'r monsters because they're not human, but a Titan and alien?

A lot of people also do things because they want the universe to work a certain way, Paul is just more honest about that and tends to state that more often.

Canis dying also isn't exactly that big of a tragedy.

While we consider him to be funny and playfully insane, he is also a remorseless monster that enjoys the pain of others and has committed atrocities, like destroying civilizations and enslaving potentially millions.

Last edited:
5th May
03:13 GMT -5

Left fist left fist left fist!

Focusing on keeping my blade from her face, Aurakos can't react as I stop trying for a pin and settle for just punching her in the chest plate. As I somewhat-expected the blows don't do a great deal and my crumbler gauntlet fails to activate, but-.
Once again, the balancing factor kicks in. After all, she can't disintegrate things by touching them. If she could, this fight would probably have ended a lot faster... Like rocket tag.

"I don't know?"

She tries to stamp on my bleeding foot but I crouch slightly so that my left knee prevents her hitting her sword. She stamps on the side of the boot instead, which-.
He's holding her that far off the ground? Or is his armour that much larger that he's like eight feet tall? Either way, that stomp-stab thing would have hurt. Good dodge.

"Try it!"

She doesn't break the armour, but a super strength stamp's opposite reaction results in her body jerking upward and my reflexive grab with my left hand results in me going with her. We hit the ceiling together and she brings her feet up to try and push off me. I latch my left hand onto her shoulder to prevent her changing angle, keep my right hand's blade pointing at her face and bend my left leg back-
Nice tactic. If she falls down under you, your mass will drive the sword into her head. Try to twist, you get an opening to stab her anyway. The only problem...

DRHHHHHHHHHHHH!

-which causes her sword to drop out. OOOw!
...Is the injuries you've already taken. Might want to down a potion from your little sippy straw dispenser. :p

"Canis! Catch it!"

Canis darts forward even as we both fall back towards the cave floor. The sword goes out to the side as Aurakos and I awkwardly wrestle for position, and Canis grabs it and pulls back just before we slam-
And if I understand the narrative effects of her Source-powered godspeech earlier, that means she's now disarmed. I suspect OL's knives are about to start playing up, unless her fists count as equal to them.

HUGGGGGGGGGHHH!

-back onto the ground! I land on my right side and Aurakos tries to break my hold to clamber on top of me.
Really missing that pain-suppression capability, huh? Dropping twenty-plus feet in about a half-ton of armour, plus the 150-odd kilograms of New God Zombie can't be pleasant.

Ophidian.

But the weight of this armour against the floor is nothing like enough to stop my arm moving and while she's wrenching at my left hand I stab with the blade on my right! She tries to evade but I still manage to slash under her helmet and cut through the flesh of her neck. I retract-
Okay, it's not counting her as disarmed enough to futz up your blades. And you nearly got the decapitation too. Keep this up and you might grind out the win.

A Sheeda maggot stumbles down the stairs, eyes glowing orange as its puppeted by my wraith. Not what I asked for, but-.

The maggot collapses, and its bloated stomach undulates and writhes.
Ah. The Wraith found a maggot about to pop, huh? I was right, this is messy. Ew.

-the blade and swing my right arm into the floor. Not a big swing -that just isn't possible from this position- but it's still enough to get me more or less upright while she's awkwardly hanging off me.

Ophidian.
Boy, Best Snake usually doesn't take this long when he calls her, does she? And good use of strength-boosts. You don't often see people fight like this in the comics.

The maggot bursts, and a wraith-possessed Spine Rider flies my way while Canis waves his Mother Box at his newly acquired sword.

Ophidian.
Wow, she is either out of range or really distracted by something. Or the Orange Light Entity around here doesn't answer to that name...

It's not that I can't feel her. There's definitely something there, but I can't feel anything like the level of responsiveness I usually get from her. Nice that she finds the Corps so enthralling…

Without her aid, I try to feel Aurakos's connection to the orange light myself. Depending on her level of remote control, there might not be anything other than the direction which Melmoth is providing her. And it's… Working. I see a cage forcing the orange light to move-.
Oooh, looks like picking up some of the top-end talents of the Orange Light shaman tree is finally paying off. This looks something like Grayven pushing his Godly senses into action...

"Wait." Melmoth's voice sounds uncertain. "What are you?"
I would be so tempted to reply with something like 'Your worst nightmare: A Fanboy with a Power RIng.' or something similar. At least OL managed to surprise him with that.

Aurakos copies me, bending her knees and swinging her feet against the wall with enough force to knock us into the middle of the room. Not wanting her to land on top of me I kick out with my right leg, hitting the floor and sending us careening-.

She grabs my left gauntlet and yanks, finally separating us. I hit the wall near the stairs, drop, then roll onto my f-feet. She lands.. on her hands and handsprings onto her feet nearer the centre of the room.
Oof. That gives her the advantage again, because she's a lot faster. Hopefully she doesn't go after Canis to recover her sword.

And both New Gods wince at the less-than subtle not-quite-Godspeech. Bet he sounds like a screaming toddler to their divine senses.

The light from her forehead shimmers between sigil-yellow and avarice-orange, causing her to stagger and her eyes to unfocus. I could try charging her down and stabbing her, but that risks her desires aligning with Melmoth's desires, which would undermine my work. Interesting that she's still got significant desires in grundy form. Also interesting that this challenge system thing considers my armour's healing potion dispenser to be equivalent to her regeneration; the wound in her neck is gone with only a small amount of grey blood clinging to her where it once was, while my foot is considerably less painful.
Well, at least he's allowed to heal up when given the chance. It's not going to make much difference in the long run, his armour is more likely to break before he runs out of potions...

"Why do you obey your murderer!? Why do you obey the backstabber who murdered your father!?"

Who do you Want to Kill?
Nice, work that narrative aspect. Push her to resist the mental control!

"Heroic resolve never ceases to be tiresome."

Aurakos jerks as her sigil glows brilliant-white, the light-
It's a trope for a reason, swirly-cheeks. And New Gods operate on narrative tropes, baby!

Wraith, now.

Yes, Master.
I wonder how that plays in the narrative of the battle. Does the Wraith count as a follower, or equipment? And will her challenge allow it to affect her?

-shining from her eyes, presumably a sign of Melmoth asserting full control. But as the wraith-possessed Spine Rider lunges for Aurakos's neck, my environmental shield re-engages because apparently she can't use her New God powers while like this.

Something's happening with her body, her armour shuddering is response to forces I can't see. But that doesn't matter, because my power rings are working again. I form a small construct crumble gauntlet, duke it under her helmet and push it in the direction of Melmoth's sigil.
Ah, the bastard's control is weakening her New God aspect. She can't maintain the terms of the challenge. This fight is over, then.

The lights from her head go out, and-.

The armour covering her right arm explodes as the limb within expands to grotesque proportions! The skin has torn in several places, grey blood dripping through the tears and muscles visible beneath! The limb is about eight times its former thickness and-.
Oh, crap! She's pulling a Tetsuo! Must be a side-effect of the Grundification. Her body must be trying to regenerate dozens of people's bodies from the blood in her veins. And hopefully that's enough to make Melmoth reconsider the concept... Unless he decides to use her as a bomb.

The rest of her body is doing the same, armour failing under the internal pressure as whatever Melmoth just did causes her to grow. If I'm going to.. preserve her, I need to stop this. With the armour gone there isn't anything to stop my ring-based abilities, so-.

A construct-claw grabs her helmet, severs the straps holding it on her head and pulls it off. The enslaved Spine Rider takes that as its cue to dart in, dodging her expanding shoulders to stab her in the swelling neck.
Should make it easier to prevent her from thrashing around while he.. operates on her. Hopefully he can preserve her mind, because that regeneration is likely trying to do the same thing inside her skull...

"Wraith, cut her brain's connection to the rest of her body."

Two dozen strands of orange light connect me to her grotesque and mostly naked body as I try feeling the magics being applied to her and feed on them.
Good way to defuse her New God traits: Empty the tank of magical energy. Let's hope it works, I want to see what she's like without Melmoth whispering in her head.

"Master, I do not know that I can."

"Do your best. Canis, if you can help, do so."

"Cutting off her arms-."
That may be a good idea, given the rapid mutation. It's gross, but a good idea. The only problem is if other body parts start doing the same thing.

"Canis."

"We heal back mundane injuries. Though I suppose her current.. state may impact that."
Which we've seen with Grayven. Remember all the times he's had to regrow fingers after they get cut/shot/torn off? Regrowing his eyes? Never mind the internal injuries he's recovered.

I remove my spell eater and attach it to Aurakos with a construct necklace.

"Let's not do anything we can't repair. I meant New God abilities."
So, plug Mother Box into her, let it try and regulate her bodily recovery. Good plan, Mother Box knows New God physiology better than OL does.

"Are you.. giving her to me? I did not think-."

"Canis, less… Less Apokolips. Alright? We're trying to help her."
She's a defeated foe, Canis, but she is not spoils of war. No enslaving, no abuse and definitely no rape. Wouldn't be surprised if that's what she expected them to do, if she lost the fight. After all, she comes from an ancient era, where that sort of thing would be normal...

"Then we should destroy her. Being twisted into something other than what we are is a most supreme torture for a New God." He comes a little closer, looking her the twitching abomination before us with… Actual distaste rather than the fascination he usually shows in situations like this. "I think that is what New Genesis would do."

"If she wants to destroy herself once she's back in her right mind, she can. First, we try and help her."
After all, if that's what she wants, then who are they to stop her? But as far as OL is concerned, that's a choice she can only make once she's whole... I'm also impressed that Canis could make such an observation as he did. He's come such a long way in such a short time (less than a year since he arrived, isn't it?)

And so the fight ends, not with one standing in triumph over the other, but in a desperate struggle to keep the defeated foe alive. Quite the interesting flow to its narrative, in New God terms. Seeing her recover should provide very interesting story threads in future. Of course, there's still the matter of things like the captured Columbians and Melmoth's rampaging Sheeda creatures to be dealt with too.
(Late post again, Mr Zoat. Old World Blues again?:D)

...her armour shuddering is response to forces...
...her armour shuddering in response to forces...

It's alright OL, I'm sure it happens to the best of us. Maybe next time she'll spring into action.

Maybe his inability to use his rings during the duel made her decide to leave.

Women don't tend to like a guy who can't get it up when the situation demands it.

Performance issues, a pain for every man.

...Is the injuries you've already taken. Might want to down a potion from your little sippy straw dispenser. :p

Do not mock the sippy straw you bastard.

Wow, she is either out of range or really distracted by something. Or the Orange Light Entity around here doesn't answer to that name...

Or she's embarrassed to go there after OL couldn't use his rings.

View it like a woman stepping out of the room when you couldn't get an erection.

This looks something like Grayven pushing his Godly senses into action...

But better since we can actually see it and don't have to go over it again to see if we missed something.

'Your worst nightmare: A Fanboy with a Power RIng.'

'Also a Fanboy of ponies, to the point an alternate of me is going to fuck one'

And both New Gods wince at the less-than subtle not-quite-Godspeech. Bet he sounds like a screaming toddler to their divine senses.

They may be used to it, what with Melmoth potentially screaming in her head and Canis may have dealt with Desaad, and I bet that he screeches when he orders others around.

Hopefully he can preserve her mind,

And get another New God ally.

Which we've seen with Grayven. Remember all the times he's had to regrow fingers after they get cut/shot/torn off? Regrowing his eyes? Never mind the internal injuries he's recovered.

To be honest while I knew New Gods had some regenerative capabilities I didn't think they were powerful enough to regrow lost limbs.

I thought all the times renegade healed from those injuries he was using his rings, a purple ray, a Box or something like that.

She's a defeated foe, Canis, but she is not spoils of war. No enslaving, no abuse and definitely no rape. Wouldn't be surprised if that's what she expected them to do, if she lost the fight. After all, she comes from an ancient era, where that sort of thing would be normal...

She may have come from the Earths past, but she also came from an advanced civilization so that may not have been normal.

But if Apokaliptians were responsible for making Aurakle in this universe then it's possible that it was normal..

Even if it wasn't, her time with Melmoth may have made her very determined to not lose another fight ever again.

If they do manage to actually revive her then she's probably going to need a lot of therapy, assuming she doesn't have some kinda trauma resistance like Tamaraneans in this story have.

Mr Miracle spent time being tortured on Apokalips since he was a baby and he seems to be mentally stable from what we've seen.

Granted that could be his god powers at work freeing him from the traumas he's experienced.

There was this Worm fic called Therapy in which Taylor gains the power to cure people of mental illnesses and stay sane herself no matter what happens to her, so maybe Free also has some kinda similar sanity keeper power.

After all, if that's what she wants, then who are they to stop her? But as far as OL is concerned, that's a choice she can only make once she's whole... I'm also impressed that Canis could make such an observation as he did. He's come such a long way in such a short time (less than a year since he arrived, isn't it?)

Canis may not have changed all that much since he came to Earth.

This disgust of his for Melmoths actions may have been how he would react even before he came to Earth.

He did grow up on a planet where the leader can make people bend to his will and he actually believes all the things his boss says, so even spending time away from that place may not be enough to get rid of his beliefs like it would be for typical cultists.

Maybe it's the "equalness" effect? Paul isn't allowed to summon the full might of Ophidian, but is allowed to use that connection and his own metaphysical might to even the odds.

"Then we should destroy her. Being twisted into something other than what we are is a most supreme torture for a New God." He comes a little closer, looking her the twitching abomination before us with… Actual distaste rather than the fascination he usually shows in situations like this. "I think that is what New Genesis would do."

"If she wants to destroy herself once she's back in her right mind, she can. First, we try and help her."

Honestly, I'm with Canis here.
She's not just horribly and tortuously mutated. She's dead, possessed and mutated.

Paul is abnormal but he's not some sadistic creature that enjoys suffering and pain.

Would you call the likes of Diana and Koriand'r monsters because they're not human, but a Titan and alien?

A lot of people also do things because they want the universe to work a certain way, Paul is just more honest about that and tends to state that more often.

I think I have a different definition of monster than you.

Monster doesn't mean evil. It's just a way of saying "not human", to the point he only sort of fits amonst them.

And, I find Diana to be very human, if only in an Exemplar sort of way. Starfire is not of Earth, but she's closer in mindset to human than OL is.

I get the feeling that for many minor Psis, OL would be weird, or terrorfying, to be near. He looks human, but feels a bit like being near a Mythos leviathan.

I think I have a different definition of monster than you.

Monster doesn't mean evil. It's just a way of saying "not human", to the point he only sort of fits amonst them.

And, I find Diana to be very human, if only in an Exemplar sort of way. Starfire is not of Earth, but she's closer in mindset to human than OL is.

I get the feeling that for many minor Psis, OL would be weird, or terrorfying, to be near. He looks human, but feels a bit like being near a Mythos leviathan.

Most peoples definition of a monster is an evil being, not just something that isn't completely human.

A more proper description for OL would be unusual, abnormal or just plain weird.

All of these convey that he's not an usual human, but they don't imply that he's evil, unlike the term monster which does imply that he's evil.

And while some may find his unusual spiritual and mental nature to be somewhat disturbing, others may view it as being beautiful.

When they investigated that town which turned out to have a warlock working for Melmoth in it, the telepath boy there found Paul's mind to be a wonderful place to be in due to his enlightenment compared to the cluttered and disorderly minds of ordinary humans.

Maybe remove the -
Maybe 'near the center'
No, I'm happy with those.
New Gods can regrow lost limbs without medical assistance?
Yes.
Thank you, corrected.
Zoat did Paul build a temple for Hades on Tamaran like he did on Karna?
No.
No, I think that's correct.

Hope he does it in the future then.

It can potentially get some Tamaranean ghosts some much needed rest, it gets the still living Tamaraneans a place to go to after they die, it gets him some more points in Hades's good books, especially after the whole Melinoe kidnapping incident, and if he can introduce Helios to the Tamaraneans then he can potentially gain the favor of another Olympian, and assuming that Helios can somehow empower a Tamaranean then he may be able to empower Kori and Kom as his champions and make the OLC at least a little bit stronger.

...her armour shuddering in response to forces...
Thank you, corrected.
Honestly, I'm with Canis here.
She's not just horribly and tortuously mutated. She's dead, possessed and mutated.

Thank you, corrected.

I'm reminded of this fantasy book in which zombies were treated as second class citizens and worked in horrible conditions, basically they were something like an analogue for minorities, and they protested for their rights.

Paul has a pretty good track record of helping the undead so far what with getting all those souls into Erebus.

The whole thing with Nabu being the biggest exception, along with maybe a few demons that were human once.

I'm reminded of this fantasy book in which zombies were treated as second class citizens and worked in horrible conditions, basically they were something like an analogue for minorities, and they protested for their rights.

Paul has a pretty good track record of helping the undead so far what with getting all those souls into Erebus.

The whole thing with Nabu being the biggest exception, along with maybe a few demons that were human once.

Nabu was never considered not a person. He just had to die anyway. OL has killed plenty of people he considered people.

More like he used an obscure law that wasn't really used anymore but technically still legal, at the very least if the Justice League was willing to take him into custody he would be ready to use the justice system to his advantage, and while America and other countries may be willing to expand rights to sentient non-human beings there are places that persecute said beings with very little judgement.

Plus even if he can't permanently save her he can at least gain a temporary ally who could help stop Melmoths, afterwards be can have her body studied to learn more ways to empower another being or avoid from possibly killing them instead, especially if he dies again but gets stuck in his corpse.

Giving him her heart seems like a pretty big commitment.

The whole heart thing may have been just a metaphor, but she is commited to him.

When he asked her what she wanted she said that she wanted him, and when Truggs stole the ring she was desiring to come back to Paul.

Tamaran doesn't have a death god, or probably even an afterlife, so it would make sense for him to do it, and I bet the Tamaraneans would be willing to let him do it, seeing as he basically freed them and killed their enemies.

The Tamaraneans are an advanced people, not primitives who just discovered fire.

If their religion doesn't have an afterlife then by definition their religion doesn't require one.

The whole heart thing may have been just a metaphor, but she is commited to him.

When he asked her what she wanted she said that she wanted him, and when Truggs stole the ring she was desiring to come back to Paul.

Pretty sure that was just a metaphor.

And it was also a thing that happened before there were a bunch of other more interesting people for the Ophidian to obsess over.

Yeah, about that.

The Tamaraneans are an advanced people, not primitives who just discovered fire.

If their religion doesn't have an afterlife then by definition their religion doesn't require one.

Yeah, I'm not exactly site that's how it works in this story.

Just because their religion doesn't require one doesn't mean that they don't require one.

Souls typically need someplace to go and if Tamaran wasn't magically powerful enough to make something like an Old God, I remember that when Renegade took Talbot to Tamaran to give him a ring that Doom guy was feeling out the local magic and renegade said that it was weaker than Earth's, then they may not have an afterlife, even if they do in their religious beliefs.

From everything we know of X'hal she's more like an extremely superpowered Tamaranean, rather than an arcane being.

X'hal also may not be able to do anything to souls or for them, so she might be unable to help them in their post death existence, but Hades can.

I'm also not sure what the two sentences you just wrote have to do with each other, like how is the fact that they're advanced actually mean they don't require an afterlife.

The Gordanians and Karnans were advanced and Paul thought it was a good idea to build a temple on their world to get rid of any ghosts.

Earth is advanced, yet they need afterlives of some kind for souls to go to, or at least have some kind of system set up to deal with that.

Paul isn't a primitavist, yet he worships various gods so that he has a place to go to post death.

Tamaran may not have an afterlife due to X'hal not making one, or even being incapable of doing it, due to things like not knowing how to, or being unable to manipulate souls or magic on any level due to her being more of a hyper powerful metatamaranean rather than an arcane being, or just not being interested in doing it, and if they're not particularly magically active then they may not be able to make one for themselves out of their beliefs, so now there could be countless souls on their world that haven't found rest.

Them having the option of going to Erebus is a good thing since they can actually find some rest.

They may also just be interested in other religions that are shown to them and some of them may like to convert for the practical benefits the Hellenistic faith can offer them, like an afterlife they may like.

I think I remember that Zoat said on this site that the Heart thing was just a metaphor, but I may be mistaken, or Zoat changed his mind since he posted that on SB and now it is a metaphor.

He has stated that he sometimes doesn't think every single thing through unless it's somehow relevant to the story.

So then why do OL and various supernatural beings hear the heartbeat when he goes full orange?

So then why do OL and various supernatural beings hear the heartbeat when he goes full orange?

Good point.

Maybe he has the literal heart or it was just a metaphor and those sounds were him connecting to her using the piece in him.

Zoat does Paul have the actual heart of the Ophidian for a soul, or was it just a metaphor?

Good point.

Maybe he has the literal heart or it was just a metaphor and those sounds were him connecting to her using the piece in him.

Zoat does Paul have the actual heart of the Ophidian for a soul, or was it just a metaphor?
His soul is made of the orange light, and the Ophidian is the orange light so it's kind of both. Plus we have examples of entities like New Gods where the metaphor literally makes reality conform to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back