• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

It hasn't been removed because it was never there. Wynne demanded the Justice League give "my ring" back in an earlier chapter.

Is quite possible that without using the ring regularly and with the ring having zero power the brainwashing didn't stick.

I guess Hinon never thought whoever got the ring wouldn't use it regularly or not steal a battery for it.

I'm guessing that either the thing with Atom didn't happen in this universe, or he's lying.
No reference to it has ever been done in the DCAU, and the only issue Captain Atom had with being transferred to Project Cadmus was being forced to fight the Justice League.

Suuure you do. Admittedly, the DCAU Royal Flush Gang was a hell of a shitshow... Poor Ace.
For all Eiling's faults, the soldiers under his command never had any loyalty issues, same with Galatea(well, whenever Kara wasn't around anyway) and for all that they were lied to about their origins even the Ultimen were generally treated well. Other then Waller coming down hard on Milo for repeatedly failing his task(perfecting splicing, which to be fair didn't get done until the late 2030s so you cant say it wasn't a difficult task), mistreating it's personal wasn't ever one of Cadmus's sins.

I open the case and touch the ring… Yes, it's either the ring or a functional duplicate. I'm happy either way.
Or, as is more likely, the original made non-functional.

Since with no power you wouldn't be able to tell the difference if they did something like strip out the AI and database leaving nothing more then a few dregs of orange light in a changer.

AMAZO was able to replicate Stewart's green lantern ring with a mere glance.

If Peter had hired Ivo Peter could have mass produced power rings.

How AMAZO's nanites were able to not only replicate a green lantern ring but it's charge, well don't ask me. lol

But Ivo doesn't work for Peter, likely because Luthor has some iron Vlad contracts that prevent his employees from working with competitors.

Ivo is also dead at this point.

It hasn't been removed because it was never there. Wynne demanded the Justice League give "my ring" back in an earlier chapter.

Is quite possible that without using the ring regularly and with the ring having zero power the brainwashing didn't stick.

I guess Hinon never thought whoever got the ring wouldn't use it regularly or not steal a battery for it.

The restriction is still there, Zoat just forgot about it, but when it was pointed out to him he changed it to 'the ring' instead of 'my ring'

The phrase is "knuckles rapped" right?
Thank you, correceted.
Or something a bit more serious, in case they want their Lanterns to know that they can't break laws.
Guardians give Lanterns a lot of leaway for 'clear and present danger' stuff, but he got a ticking off about misrepresenting the situation. And to be fair, they did wrongly accuse him of blowing up a planet not too long ago.
'That was', I believe.
Thank you, corrected.

But Ivo doesn't work for Peter, likely because Luthor has some iron Vlad contracts that prevent his employees from working with competitors.

Ivo is also dead at this point.

Well since it seems my assumption that my point was obvious was sadly not the case- The fact that human science was quite obviously able to replicate Guardian technology makes your argument that guardian technology is beyond human capacity a false statement.

your argument that guardian technology is beyond human capacity a false statement.

[Conspiracy Theory Hat]

"Ah. But how can you know that Ivo wasn't secretly a Guardian all along! / that Stewart wasn't in cahoots with Ivo! / that Stewart's power ring wasn't replaced by a piece of glowing plastic offscreen!"

Well since it seems my assumption that my point was obvious was sadly not the case- The fact that human science was quite obviously able to replicate Guardian technology makes your argument that guardian technology is beyond human capacity a false statement.

Okay, most human tech can't replicate Maltusian tech, but the occasional piece of schizo tech can.

Happy?

Hell for all we know Amazo just gave himself the ability to make energy constructs without actually replicating the tech in the ring, but just making that little addition to his finger.

Principle of the thing or not I'm still suspicious of the amount of work he put into getting back something he can't even use anymore. I suspect that he's been affected by the orange light more than he realizes.

There are people that can become really pissed about something being taken away from them, even when they can't use said thing.

It also may not be any influence of the orange light, but Paul may just have some odd priorities.

Like wanting the so-called good guys to actually obey the law.

They're vigilantes (or at least used be vigilantes for years before the JL formed - not sure how official they are with the US gov the UN in this universe). They probably still consider laws to be optional guidelines at best. If you think Superman has a flying licence you've got another thing coming. In fact, I've heard sometimes he just slowly floats just above the street several yards away from the crosswalk. He can't be charged with jaywalking because he technically isn't walking. They are all like that.

WHAT?! WHAT MADNESS IS THIS?! I think I'm getting a slight sense of broken suspension of disbelief or something. Did the Guardians really returned it just like that? Who hit them with the Common Sense interrupt button?

Godsdamn it, now I want to see how the discussion between the Guardians went, or how John Stewart sent the request/explanation for the Ring to be returned. This is... this is... I see it, but I don't know what this is. I'm laughing though, this is so weird, but I guess a good weird if it does resolve the Cold War between Peter and the Justice League.
Agreed! That is by far the hardest part of this chapter to swallow.
Reasonable Bobbleheads? WHAT SORCERY IS THIS?!
The good stuff.

Celestial circle at a minimum, possibly Solar.

That said I suspect they're playing a bit of a deeper game here. Someone capable of organizing the schizotech circus that is the terran scientific community may have value even to the guardians.

Reasonable Bobbleheads? WHAT SORCERY IS THIS?!
Well the ones from justice league/unlimited always did seem more reasonable than a lot of other versions. Hell if I remember right their version of the manhunters was even reasonable, like they discovered the problem with them before they wiped out a sector.

Well the ones from justice league/unlimited always did seem more reasonable than a lot of other versions. Hell if I remember right their version of the manhunters was even reasonable, like they discovered the problem with them before they wiped out a sector.

They still went crazy, but probably didn't wipe out a whole sector.

He's either been put on Temporary Leave for petty theft, or thrown in a Science Cell.

Either way, John's going to be glaring daggers at Batman for a good while, isn't he?

Worse he got sent to remedial training with kilowog.
So you just had to be a poozer.
Drill Sergent Nasty intensifies.

well after running a ton of scans and putting a few monitors and trackers on the ring they let him have it back.
it's empty so it's no real threat and if he does manage to recharge it they'll find out how and act from there.

It just sits wrong that John Stewart is the only one who maybe has some consequences from this, and Batman gets off scot free. I mean, yes, it fits Batman, but... I guess technically a third party returning stolen property doesn't absolve the original thief of their criminal culpability, but since Peter is talking civil suit, damages are now hard to show.

Agreed that it's weird how reasonably the bobbleheads are acting, but unfortunately I doubt we'll get an explanation.

Thank you, corrected.

As a US Army General, Eiling has nuclear weapons.
I was going to point out how, under US law, the military does not, technically, own nuclear weapons (they are the property of, and controlled by, the Department of Energy, of all things!), merely maintains custody of them for deterrence purposes, unless their release to the military for use is authorized by the President.

Then I remembered how Eiling was able to unilaterally call in a nuclear strike in the DCAU. Clearly, Earth-12's laws are different.

They're vigilantes (or at least used be vigilantes for years before the JL formed - not sure how official they are with the US gov the UN in this universe). They probably still consider laws to be optional guidelines at best. If you think Superman has a flying licence you've got another thing coming. In fact, I've heard sometimes he just slowly floats just above the street several yards away from the crosswalk. He can't be charged with jaywalking because he technically isn't walking. They are all like that.
Under US law, ultralight aircraft do not require registration or a pilot's license, so long as they meet certain restrictions. While Superman arguably does not meet those restrictions (if he qualifies as "unpowered" for those purposes, he's too heavy, while if he qualifies as "powered," his top speed is too high), he also doesn't qualify as a "vehicle" for legal purposes. No laws exist restricting people from flying without some form of mechanical or vehicular aid, so, technically, he wouldn't be breaking any laws.

My guess is that in a world where "flying brick" superheroes exist, they would end up having some additions to the Federal Aviation Regulations made to allow them to successfully blend into existing air traffic. These would likely include requirements to comply with Visual Flight Rules requirements for helicopter operations when flying without contact with air traffic control; to carry an altitude-reporting radar transponder and VHF AM aviation-band communications radio to operate in controlled airspace; to comply with Instrument Flight Rules requirements for operating in bad weather or above 18,000 feet altitude; to comply with airspeed limitations (basically a 250 knot limit below 10,000 feet and a 200 knot limit below 10,000 feet above sea level or about 2000 feet above ground level, whichever is higher, and within five miles of a controlled airport) for collision avoidance; and to carry an anticollision beacon light visible from a distance of at least three nautical miles when flying at night. Note that none of this requires that they, themselves, be registered or licensed, merely that they comply with those restrictions to prevent any "conflict" (read: crunchboomscreaming) with other aircraft. (Now, the communications radio and transponder requirements might effectively require them to register with the FCC for their operating licenses, but that still doesn't require them to have a pilot's license.)

Note that my comments apply to US law; other nations would probably have different (though mostly compatible and standardized) regulations regarding such things. Note also that every nation's aviation laws include an emergency authority that states that, in an emergency situation, the pilot is legally authorized to ignore any and all laws and regulations that would interfere with landing the aircraft safely; I suspect that, for much the same reason, a superhero responding to an emergency situation would be allowed to violate the airspeed restrictions so long as it's done with reasonable care to ensure that they do not cause further problems (such as colliding with an aircraft, or Superman flying down the main drag in Metropolis at supersonic speeds, generating a sonic boom that shatters every window in town). Also, at altitudes above 60,000 feet, airspace is uncontrolled, so for longer rapid-response flights (or even recreational/personal travel flights), any "flying brick" who wanted to go fast could do so up at those lofty heights that few aircraft can reach. Whether it would shave enough time to be worth climbing vertically through the controlled airspace to get there, well...

No laws exist restricting people from flying without some form of mechanical or vehicular aid, so, technically, he wouldn't be breaking any laws.

My guess is that in a world where "flying brick" superheroes exist, they would end up having some additions to the Federal Aviation Regulations made to allow them to successfully blend into existing air traffic.

Ok, first... wow! I really should've expected this by now. No matter how blatantly over the top my post is someone will take it completely seriously. Just to be clear: I was making (attempting to make) a funny post.

Second, thanks for the elaboration on why "flying bricks" might not be breaking any traffic laws (jaywalking or otherwise). I'm sure Mr Zoat will appreciate it when one of his SIs inevitably goes ahead with suing the League.

Of course, I have it on good authority that FAA has a long and troubled history with Superman (no, he isn't the first "flying brick" case in America but he is by far the most well known one). They've been trying to serve him for years but 'Superman' isn't legally a US citizen and even if he was good luck getting him to appear in court over something as trivial as FARs violation.

Recently, Luthor's legal team approached FAA representatives so... fingers crossed.

Worse he got sent to remedial training with kilowog.
So you just had to be a poozer.
Drill Sergent Nasty intensifies.

well after running a ton of scans and putting a few monitors and trackers on the ring they let him have it back.
it's empty so it's no real threat and if he does manage to recharge it they'll find out how and act from there.
I bet on this being what happened to John.

I am suspicious that Kyle Rainer was the delivery person. I do not recall him being a lantern in the old JLA or JLAU series, but Hal Jordan was (only seen in the background at Superman's funeral though). But I might be mixing up universes again.

A new lantern usually means that the old lantern is no longer able to do the job. (by death, retirement, or courts-martial) However, suspended for retraining or, as someone else said, space traffic cop duty is a possibility.

I am kind of sad that this means we won't get to see Peter Wynne V. Justice League in Court.

It just sits wrong that John Stewart is the only one who maybe has some consequences from this, and Batman gets off scot free. I mean, yes, it fits Batman, but... I guess technically a third party returning stolen property doesn't absolve the original thief of their criminal culpability, but since Peter is talking civil suit, damages are now hard to show.

Agreed that it's weird how reasonably the bobbleheads are acting, but unfortunately I doubt we'll get an explanation.

John does work for them so it makes sense that they would punish him and potentially leave Bats alone.

I doubt they put people in Science Cells for theft, but we don't know what they did to him.

I bet on this being what happened to John.

I am suspicious that Kyle Rainer was the delivery person. I do not recall him being a lantern in the old JLA or JLAU series, but Hal Jordan was (only seen in the background at Superman's funeral though). But I might be mixing up universes again.

A new lantern usually means that the old lantern is no longer able to do the job. (by death, retirement, or courts-martial) However, suspended for retraining or, as someone else said, space traffic cop duty is a possibility.

I am kind of sad that this means we won't get to see Peter Wynne V. Justice League in Court.

Kyle did show up in the episode where Amazo returned and moved Oa to another dimension.

I think Jordan only showed up in that time travel episode where he briefly replaced Stewart due to some time travel shenanigans.

Kyle apparently spent more time on Oa or in space either training or doing his job away from Earth, so that's why we rarely saw him.

He was most likely sent because he's human and they may have thought he would be better at interacting with other humans.

Hell he may have replaced Stewart as the 2814 Lantern while he's being punished for helping in the theft of the ring.

Sectors also tend to have two Lanterns.

Kyle did show up in the episode where Amazo returned and moved Oa to another dimension.

I think Jordan only showed up in that time travel episode where he briefly replaced Stewart due to some time travel shenanigans.

Kyle apparently spent more time on Oa or in space either training or doing his job away from Earth, so that's why we rarely saw him.

He was most likely sent because he's human and they may have thought he would be better at interacting with other humans.

Hell he may have replaced Stewart as the 2814 Lantern while he's being punished for helping in the theft of the ring.

Sectors also tend to have two Lanterns.
Ah, I had just assumed that Jordan was the other Lantern in the sector. Thank you.

And I am going to be seeing Stewart and Kilawog reenacting Full Metal Jacket for the rest of the day. It is hilarious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back