• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Shayera swoops through the boom tube and lands in the empty hangar, myself and Diana walking through at a more sedate pace behind her. She's not wearing either the traditional leotard of the Wonder Woman nor the old body stocking thing. Rather, she's just wearing normal Themysciran guard armour in what I'm assuming is an attempt to visually separate her new self from her former self. Or maybe not: it does cover more of her skin than the leotard. Maybe it provides better protection.
I'm picturing a traditional hoplite breastplate and skirt...

"Ah, Shayera, why don't-" She looks around. "-you go and tell Batman that you wrecked his ride. I need a quick word with Diana."
I don't envy her.

Diana tenses, and Shayera's eye narrow slightly.
Diana tenses, and Shayera's eyes narrow slightly.

"Not.. at first. After you-. Even after you left, I still couldn't.. bring myself to accept that I'd made a mistake. But I couldn't keep living like that. So I went to the shrine where the Wonder Woman's equipment is kept and bound myself in the Lasso of Truth."
Oh, boy. That's gotta be intense.

She sees my expression and nods solemnly. "It is no easy thing to confront all of your assumptions about the way things are and have your self-deceits torn away. You were right. Batman.. was right. And I am ashamed that I let my pride prevent me from seeing it sooner."
At least she's properly regretful now.

"No. My powers came back after I apologised. To my mother, to Captain Philippus… I asked Batman to let me use the Watchtower's communications systems to let me apologise to the world."
That must have been quite the broadcast.

Her eyes flick up to meet mine for a moment, then return to facing downwards. Yes, I suppose… Something like that, you don't just return to the status quo ante bellum. Still, it's a good sign that she's here. Depending on what my alter-ego's gotten together, we may well need her strength.
An extra tank is always handy, especially when she's also DPS.

"Hah!" The door between the parallel universe portal and the rest of the Mountain… Opens, and Sunset punches the air, pale blue light glowing around her hands. "Got it!"
I'm impressed she got it so quickly.

"Oh, that was totally intentional. Good work." She inclines her head slightly and raises her eyebrows. "Come on through and I'll introduce you to people."
[X] Doubt.

"Just don't lock me in a parallel universe for half and hour."
"Just don't lock me in a parallel universe for half an hour."

"No, minions are entry level labourers and thugs." She crosses her arms across her chest. "I'm a skilled professional heading my own department. That makes me a lieutenant. At least."

I turn back to Diana. "This is Sunset Shimmer. She's a lieutenant. At least."
Ah, Grayven, trollish as ever.

"I.. suppose that I am. And… What do you mean by 'study'?"
I picture her giving a panicked glance around for the nearest exits...

John glares at me as he keeps rocking a construct cradle, in which lies…

I amble closer as the infant looks up at me.
"You married Hawkgirl... And got Bizzay!"

The baby wiggles its arms in my general direction and closes its eyes again. I crane my neck in John's direction.
Evidently, babies like Grayven.

"Mine and Shayeras."
Needs an apostrophe, I think?

Hm, not seeing any wings. Not that I know enough about human-thanagarian hybrids to know whether that's typical or not.
Because of course Humans can breed with anything. No need to even question that.

"I can be available to babysit at very short notice."
"Sorry, Batman already called dibs on Godfather."

Ha, nice to see life moves on. And damn, John is gonna be one hell of a tough dad, isn't he, marinated in Will as he is?

That's not Warhawk, that's gonna be Conquesthawk and he will be awesome. I don't know if it's true but I heard if a friend's baby is named after you that gives honorary Godparent status, even if it's not official; I would definitely want Grayven as Godparent, that's Awakening coming and who knows how many "this is how you murder your enemies" presents.

I'm happy for Diana, I hope J'onn manages to overcome his affliction as well, I think he's the one that's suffering more, really; Diana at least was in her island and with her family, even if she was pushing people away. J'onn is alone on dead planet, stuck in an unnatural form, practically mute even if there's no one to talk to; that's just too damn sad.

Huh. Is there any support for the idea that power rings are by themself colorless and only gain color from the lantern?

No to the idea that they are themselves colorless, but yes to the idea that their colors can be changed by giving them different energies.

In the War of Light, the Star Sapphires could convert lanterns into new star sapphires, which included changing the color of their rings.

When Kyle recharged off of the Cosmic Cube in JLA/Avengers, his ring became cosmic cube colored.

In Blackest Night, before a black ring blows up by being emotionally charged, they change color to match the emotion overloading them.
4672846-prime01.jpg
1056433-prime_5.jpg

Post Flashpoint, Kyle's ring was changed to white, and the Lightsmith's beams changed the color of lanterns hit by them.

"Sunset, this is Princess Diana of Themyscira. Diana, this is Sunset Shimmer, my magical minion-."

"Not his minion."

I look at her sceptically. "You are literally my minion. I pay you, you do work for me. That's pretty much the definition of minion."

"No, minions are entry level labourers and thugs." She crosses her arms across her chest. "I'm a skilled professional heading my own department. That makes me a lieutenant. At least."

"What's his name?"

"Rex Stewart. Rex Grayven Stewart."

"I can be available to babysit at very short notice."

Moments like this are the reason Grayven is my favourite character.

"Sunset, this is Princess Diana of Themyscira. Diana, this is Sunset Shimmer, my magical minion-."

"Not his minion."

I look at her sceptically. "You are literally my minion. I pay you, you do work for me. That's pretty much the definition of minion."

This is what happens when you use mind control powers to make people self-determinate. They start demanding promotions.

"I will consider the issue." He turns away from me and looks back into the interior of the station. "This has been a… Not unpleasant change of pace."

"I'm glad you think so."

"It is fortunately, considering that Salaak has assigned me as temporary governor."
Fortunate?
There are three flares of pink in the air about a hundred metres above me, then it briefly rains mashed machinery. The Psion military has a combat drone focus so those were all non-sentient… Eh, Psions, probably non-sentient. I don't have any records of Psions using machine intelligences but they do have the capacity if they really wanted to. Teleportation assault having failed their next step is launching drone transports from gravitic accelerators from the nearest settlement complex, pooosibly with an oversight barge containing actual Psions. Ship-based assault is possible but unlikely; the Psions are far more happy to fire on their world than the Gordanians are but they wouldn't do that for a curious but limited incursion.

Tungsten slugs blast forth and… The drones are using gravity impellers, jerking left and right in defiance of momentum and effortlessly avoiding my shots. Fine, drop the railguns and switch to cold guns.

I nod. "Quite possibly. That's how I learned to focus the orange light to serve my team mates' needs." I pick up my cup and take a mouthful. I don't actually.. like tea, but as a non-narcotic social tool it is quite useful.

"The why-?"

"Hey, mi… Ah… Space station is you space station."
Your?
The Thunderer response to the Demons is well disciplined. Then stow their guns and draw their qwa-swords, each stab disintegrating a Demon with little visible damaging being inflicted on the Thunderer. But now they're drifting together, and they're to distracted to see their brother in arms prepping a qwa-bolt.

Nothing special, just some typos and one link

I imagine Divine Awakening wouldn't work on Rex since he's half-Thanagarian, unless Renegade gains access to ancient Thanagarian mystical knowledge (even then it would probably be a long-term research project).
Earth-50 Thanagarians probably worshipped the Old Ones like in Earth-12; it would be interesting to see if there's a parallel between the latter and the Seven Devils that Zoat and the comics use.

Has Renegade tried reverse-engineering Nth Metal too? I wonder if it would be conducive to making New God tech (which I also wonder about in regards to mithril and oricalchum). He hasn't interacted with the Thanagarian Empire, which could be a fun parallel to Paragon in the future; maybe Renegade would ally with the Seven Devil cultists as a tool to influence the Empire.

On a tangential note, while Earth still has its problems here, at least the Lords Universe (probably) won't have to worry about Darkseid.

I imagine Divine Awakening wouldn't work on Rex since he's half-Thanagarian,
Mentioned when Awakening Mr Tawney, the process isn't limited to species, so much as soul structures. The Earth-based arcane energies seem to produce soul structures comparable with DeSaads Divine Awakening research.

So if Rex is Earth (orbit) born and raised, his soul should develop from from the same arcane energies. Which is discounting him getting a reincarnated soul, in which case, it would almost certainly have been human in a past life.

... of course, all this is discounting that Thanagarians (along with Kryptonians & Rannians) are descendants of pre-flood Atlantis colonists in some DC continuities. So I have no idea if that would play a part.

Mentioned when Awakening Mr Tawney, the process isn't limited to species, so much as soul structures. The Earth-based arcane energies seem to produce soul structures comparable with DeSaads Divine Awakening research.

So if Rex is Earth (orbit) born and raised, his soul should develop from from the same arcane energies. Which is discounting him getting a reincarnated soul, in which case, it would almost certainly have been human in a past life.

... of course, all this is discounting that Thanagarians (along with Kryptonians & Rannians) are descendants of pre-flood Atlantis colonists in some DC continuities. So I have no idea if that would play a part.

Grayven mentioned that he couldn't Awaken Kon when he was making him full Kryptonian, so I think the species has to be Earth native. He also didn't Awaken MM which supports the idea.

Grayven mentioned that he couldn't Awaken Kon when he was making him full Kryptonian, so I think the species has to be Earth native. He also didn't Awaken MM which supports the idea.

I also asked Mr. Zoat a while ago whether Renegade could Awaken Genomorphs, which have alien DNA but were created on Earth (and while individually they may have weak souls, the Genomorph Entire would be very interesting if Awakened), but he said it wasn't possible, if I remember correctly.
This just made me think of Genomorphs encountering Tyranids (Zoat's profile name probably played a part)- does anyone know if someone's written a fic with that premise? Not a lot of good Tyranid crossover fanfiction out there (though I have read Hive Daughter and a couple others).

Edit: I also want to say I really enjoy your 40k/Star Wars Sorcerer fic Breadnaught, so thanks for that.

Here's the ones that were missed:
I missed this one.
You missed this...
...and this.
Should be General, obviously.

Here's some more regular corrections:
Either take out the 'if', or give the middle sentence ellipses.
Should that be 'than I'm used to'?
Not sure where this came from, it's fine on Sufficient Velocity, but it needs to be either 'killed your own' or 'sliced your own'. Both versions on SF are 'sliced you own'.
Paul says he was hoping for more than an 'interesting', but the only word the Controller has said at that point is 'come'.
The video is unavailable.
A space is between the period and end quotation mark.
Thank you, corrected.
Should plane be planet?
No, he's talking about the Prime Universe.
If the ring is transmitting the message directly into Paul's brain, shouldn't Amalak's text be orange?
Pass.
Fortunate?

Your?

Nothing special, just some typos and one link
Corrected.

Last edited:

Isn't that a theory rather than something that was ever established?

Anyway, in New Earth continuity, thanks to Brightest Day, it was established that Thanagar was colonized by refugees from Hawkworld, populated by humans from Earth and animal people (lion-manes, Lizarkons, Manhawks) with copious Nth Metal.

Humans mated with Manhawks, and that opened the portal to Thanagar, so Thanagarians would be human/manhawk hybrids.

That's not Warhawk, that's gonna be Conquesthawk and he will be awesome. I don't know if it's true but I heard if a friend's baby is named after you that gives honorary Godparent status, even if it's not official; I would definitely want Grayven as Godparent, that's Awakening coming and who knows how many "this is how you murder your enemies" presents.

I'm happy for Diana, I hope J'onn manages to overcome his affliction as well, I think he's the one that's suffering more, really; Diana at least was in her island and with her family, even if she was pushing people away. J'onn is alone on dead planet, stuck in an unnatural form, practically mute even if there's no one to talk to; that's just too damn sad.

Superman, as usual, gets no respect or redemption in this story. Ever. Any version of Superman.

I think Mr Zoat just doesn't like Superman or something.

You know, it's actually kind of satisfying that when I post typos and stuff Zoat actually corrects them. It's like when you see that one kitchen tile that's misaligned from the others and you know it's gonna bother you every time you see it, but in this case I can point it out to the guy who controls all the kitchen tiles and he actually fixes it.

Zoat, you have no idea how much typos bother me. Thank you for being a good sport about it, even when I'm an arse and accidentally post redundant stuff at you.

Superman, as usual, gets no respect or redemption in this story. Ever. Any version of Superman.

I think it's more Paul/Grayven, personally. His treatment of Kon pissed both off, and their perspective is colored by that. And since the story is from their POV, that's what we see.

[Briefly considers just copying and pasting his response to last time this came up]

The Renegade hasn't had any contact with Superman 50 since dosing his with gold kryptonite. Neither he nor you know anything about what he's thinking or doing now, or what he's been doing since the Renegade left. So I have no idea how you can draw any conclusions about how I feel about him.
You know, it's actually kind of satisfying that when I post typos and stuff Zoat actually corrects them. It's like when you see that one kitchen tile that's misaligned from the others and you know it's gonna bother you every time you see it, but in this case I can point it out to the guy who controls all the kitchen tiles and he actually fixes it.

Zoat, you have no idea how much typos bother me. Thank you for being a good sport about it, even when I'm an arse and accidentally post redundant stuff at you.
I remember spotting a spelling error in Fallout: Equestria, posting it and being told that the author had no interest in making corrections. Irritated me a bit.

Some things I didn't change. 'pooosibly' was entirely intentional.

[Briefly considers just copying and pasting his response to last time this came up]

The Renegade hasn't had any contact with Superman 50 since dosing his with gold kryptonite. Neither he nor you know anything about what he's thinking or doing now, or what he's been doing since the Renegade left. So I have no idea how you can draw any conclusions about how I feel about him.

I remember spotting a spelling error in Fallout: Equestria, posting it and being told that the author had no interest in making corrections. Irritated me a bit.

Some things I didn't change. 'pooosibly' was entirely intentional.
Hey, your story mate. If it's intentional, it's intentional, I'm happy just to be able to point it out in case it isn't

Users who are viewing this thread

Back