• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

If Major Adams was using proper grammar it would be 'Is there', but I think it works for spoken dialogue.
I thought that with 'there' at both ends of the sentence stuffing-in an apostrophe 's' sounded better. Military man might be trained to avoid speaking so he might be mis-understood? Dunno.
Personally I'm not a fan of having magic restricted to just planetside, but Zoat's made it pretty clear that's what he's using here.

I'd probably excuse the lack of magic in space based superhero stories by saying that the majority of super science sci fi tech out in the galaxy is some level of magitech and that most races simply don't differentiate magic from science.
Tricky bit is the question of what are the limits of physics?

Then, you run into the whole 'Clarke Tech' issue...

Last edited:
Paul has a number of researchers working on exploring the Dream and its relation to magic, has himself learnt magic theory, has regular contact with gods and other mythological beings.

You really need to stop declaring in-universe facts as unproven assumptions.
Theory =/= Fact

Further, he has no real idea how they are doing what they are doing, so his assumption that they are operating under the same theoretical limitations as Earth based magic users is not just stupid, but dangerously stupid.

Theory =/= Fact

Further, he has no real idea how they are doing what they are doing, so his assumption that they are operating under the same theoretical limitations as Earth based magic users is not just stupid, but dangerously stupid.
You might want to think about whether they feel they've got time to consider what 'model' of space-magic they should be using?

The 'suck it and see' approach. :)
(Yes, I'm aware, this is QQ. :) )

12th April
11:40 GMT

"You still can't see through the walls?"

"No. But given what Doctor Mist was saying… Just waiting until the spell runs out of power is a perfectly viable option, if you want to take it slowly."

The big concern is what will they be doing while you wait? Is it something you can afford to allow them to do? Better to go in hard and prevent it.

"Unless they're sacrificing the hostages for power."

"Ah-? No, that wouldn't work. Magic… Short explanation: while magic energy is universal, unless they're tapping directly into the Dream, magic users are generally manipulating pre-existing structures using pre-existing power flows. Out here there's no system and no ready power source. Ritual sacrifice won't work because there's nothing to respond to it; you can't ritually violate arcane taboos which don't exist."
And I doubt there's enough structure out here to support the creation of any kind of pattern. Unless they're hoping it happens to Pluto.

"You sure they know that?"

"This wouldn't be possible without specific preparation."

"You willing to bet their lives on it?"
I mean, OL can accept the calculus of war, but there's only so far you can go...

I shrug, though the armoured plates covering my shoulders don't move.

"There's nothing stopping them ordering their thralls to kill themselves anyway."
Which would be a total pyrrhic victory move.And a dick one.

"Illustres Paul?" Koriand'r is looking back through the open hull towards the still-enthusiastically erupting Pluto. "Should that planet be behaving like that?"

"There was a theory that it had subterranean oceans. Depending on their chemical composition and location, that's certainly within the realms of possibility. If you want to see something really impressive, I'll take you to the Rao system when we're finished here."
...OL, you really should be paying attention to Pluto...

Major Adams shakes his head.

"No one's going to fire a giant laser at a planet for no reason. The hostages take priority, but we need to find out what that reason is." He looks at Lantern Khan. "There a good place for a command post through there?"
Thanks goodness someone isn't holding an idiot ball out here. Seriously, OL is going out of his way to have tunnel vision there.

"Yes? Several. I command from wherever I am, and I need to be-"

"That's fine. Just take us to the closest."
He's guessing whoever's controlling the ClusterCorp workers has to be nearby? It's a logical assumption.

"-seen and heard to my best advantage, that I may inspire-"

Major Adams looks at me. I just shake my head.
Yes, he's always like this. You get used to ignoring it...

"-my serfs-. I mean slaves-. I mean thralls-. I mean scum-. I mean valuable employees-. No, wait, that's completely wrong. I don't even know why I said-."

"How about you go inspire them right now?"
I'm impressed, he's already good at keeping Manga Khan on plot.

"Yes!" He flies towards the closest doorway, a construct butler forcing it open for him and a potted plant being thrown out by the air pressure shift and hitting him in the face. "My people! I come for you!"

Major Adams gives me a low-level glare as we fly after him, and I'm forced to catch the remains of the plant as it slides off Khan.
No doubt thinking 'Seriously, who gave him a power ring, and how can I slap him upside the head?'

"Why does that guy have a power ring?"

I repot the plant and set it aside.

"Not all Orange Lanterns are supposed to be combat-orientated. He's a surprisingly -very surprisingly- skilled economist."
He'd have to be fucking amazing at it...

I accelerate after Lantern Khan. No other members of the crew are immediately in sight. I can see where they ripped out a dividing wall, presumably to make moving materials to the mining laser easier.

"I feel a corporate motivational speech coming on!"
Oh gods, please don't let him get started on the marketing goodthink doublespeak...

The automated defences deploy as we cross what I.. think was a raw materials store room. Pulse laser batteries this time. I generate a shield construct for Major Adams while the beams reflect off Lantern Khan's shiny armour and burn slashes across the inside of the room.

Khan makes an identical line of pulse lasers and destroys their metal cousins in a single volley.
Well, he's efficient when sufficiently motivated, at least. Didn't even slow down.

"There's a factory oversight centre just up-"

He creates giant hand constructs and pulls the door -and a chunk of the wall- open.
Can get a little carried away, though...

The Star Hunter in the middle of the room blinks, then red lightning leaps from the tips of its tentacles and reduces Khan's armour to smouldering slag! The thralls around it are armed with-

Major Adams fires a scintillating beam of energy from his forearms at the Star Hunter, and I see the circuit runes embedded in its skin light up as it works to shield itself.
Oh, shite, it is the Chaos Starros. Time to go Doomguy on them!

-some sort of arcane gun, though they look somewhat bodged. The Star Hunter's red lightning continues crackling out, passing though my construct barrier and striking my armour before being soaked by my spell eater. I form railguns and fire mage slayers as the facially mutilated thralls rouse themselves and-.

Alan's drawn his purple healing ray and he uses it to shoot the closest thrall in the face. The cuts steam and vanish and the thrall collapses.
Clever. That hopefully breaks the spell instantly.

**Will not stop us. Can not stop us.**

The wards around the room-. No, the entire ClusterShip fail, and I see the trapped desires of the people the Star Conquerors are puppetting twisting and writhing, unable to express themselves-.
Ow. I bet that doesn't feel pleasant...

Alan shakes me, and I blink as I see that we've pulled back into the cargo area. He backs off slightly as I come to my senses.

"You feeling yourself again?"

I nod. Clever starfish.
But a total dick. It's getting a kick in the sphincter-mouth for that.

Lantern Khan's gaseous form is lurking near the ceiling, orange ring glowing in cover while he takes shots at the thralls with Alan's purple ray. Major Adams is going all out in his assault on the Star Conqueror, trusting Koriand'r to shield him from small arms fire.

Why did that-? My spell eater is dripping down my cuirass, overwhelmed by whatever the Star Conquerors did to try and take me down. I replace it and generate a coilgun as Alan goes back to pulling injured crew out of the line of fire.
Ouch, it overloaded it? That must have taken a lot out of it, though - those spell eaters are built Tonka tough...

**All will be one.**

Message to Batman: Star Conqueror presence confirmed. Engaging.
And that will get the other local Lanterns on site five minutes ago. Good call.

Message sent.

Major Adams suddenly stops shooting, arms dropping as he lolls in the air. His spell eater has gone into meltdown, and-.

Tiny pieces of debris hurl themselves at his face, only to be defeated by his dilustel epidermis. Trying to cut a star shape? So it doesn't require contact.
Thanks goodness for nigh-indestructible skin.

I tag Major Adams with a replacement spell eater -need to emphasise how they aren't actually a replacement for a field magician- and then fire a ultraviolet laser at the Star Hunter. Kind of a shame I didn't melt down Nabu's helmet to make an Ace of Order, because that's clearly chaos magic it's using. The laser does nothing but make it realise that I'm mobile again, which means that its shield is general purpose rather than specific.

Brute force and ignorance it is, then.
Kick it inna gubbins!

I don't even bother with a construct. Thick orange beam from my ring to the ward, just enough kinetic force to make it activate and a whole lot of effort draining it. Because-.
FEED!

The Star Hunter collapses to the deck, the runes in its body flickering out. The few remaining thralls-

"Aaaagh!"

-drop their weapons, staggering as the bleeding wounds on their faces are suddenly a pressing concern. I scan the Star Conqueror, and… It's barely alive, but it is still functioning.
Nicely done, leeched almost all of its magic out of it...

Major Adams appears to have recovered, and Lantern Khan reconstitutes his armour and raises his arms high.

"My people! I have returned!"

Most of them don't throw anything.
"Ah, a favorable welcome! You missed me!"

Okay, ship's secured. Now for the Russian crews (assuming they weren't amongst the enthralled) and whatever's happening to Pluto. Because a continent-sized Star Conqueror is not going to be fun to fight. And yes, they grow that large.

...the Star Conquerors are puppetting...
Feels awkward. Perhaps 'puppeteering' would fit better?

"-my serfs-. I mean slaves-. I mean thralls-. I mean scum-. I mean valuable employees-. No, wait, that's completely wrong. I don't even know why I said-."

Haa!

Called it:

Hey remember this guy didn't just lose his ship, he also lost his slaves...I mean workers...yeah workers, that's what I meant.

No Ayn Rand bullshit speeches, please.

Kind of a shame I didn't melt down Nabu's helmet to make an Ace of Order

Not really a shame.

While an Ace of Order could be useful, its primary abilities would be damaging Chaos elementals and some other magical beings.

While the Helmet can provide a mage with a great deal of power and has far more versatility, like teleportation, magical shields, healing and who knows what else.

By contrast an Ace of Order would only be able to harm some things without the versatile powers the Helmet provides.

I guess he can try to make such and Ace if Nabu left notes on what his Helmet is made of, making more of that stuff and then infusing it with Order magic.

He could ask Hephaestus and Vulcan for help with that.

So this Star Hunter was using magic. Perhaps by drawing power from the "lifeform" under the recognized-by-magic "planet" Pluto?
I'm not poking at the Dwarf Planet status, but at the theory that 90% of this Pluto is frozen starfish.

These Star Conquerors were created when Klarion used his magic on them.

Klarion, being a Lord of Chaos, lacks many of the restrictions that mortal magic users have on where they can use their magic, so maybe his altered Star Conquerors can dosome things an ordinary mortal can't.

Paul really needs to stop declaring unproven assumptions as absolute fact.

Theory =/= Fact

Ok, I gotta ask, but have you actually been reading this story, or not?

Paul has spent time in Atlantis, is in contact with several knowledgeable magic users, one of which has what is possibly the largest library of arcane knowledge in existence, courtesy of its former owner being a space traveling alien Lord of Order who most likely also brought knowledge of magic from other planets, has acquired a great deal of knowledge about magic, has a database made by an ancient race that has encountered millions of civilizations, several of which were most likely magic using ones, he's been having a former Atlantean city explore the connection between the material universe and the Dreaming for him etc.

As for why he didn't assume they wouldn't operate under the same restrictions as Earth magic users, that can be explained as him using his previously acquired knowledge from his many, many sources on how mortal magic users can operate, and despite their nature, the Star Conquerors are at the end of the day still mortal magic users, with just a few Chaos modifications made.

Forget what Silverias said, you don't need a gutter for all your painfully ironic statements, you need a continent wide sewage system.

Paul has spent time in Atlantis, is in contact with several knowledgeable magic users, one of which has what is possibly the largest library of arcane knowledge in existence, courtesy of its former owner being a space traveling alien Lord of Order who most likely also brought knowledge of magic from other planets, has acquired a great deal of knowledge about magic, has a database made by an ancient race that has encountered millions of civilizations, several of which were most likely magic using ones, he's been having a former Atlantean city explore the connection between the material universe and the Dreaming for him etc.

As for why he didn't assume they wouldn't operate under the same restrictions as Earth magic users, that can be explained as him using his previously acquired knowledge from his many, many sources on how mortal magic users can operate, and despite their nature, the Star Conquerors are at the end of the day still mortal magic users, with just a few Chaos modifications made.
All makes sense to me... With the proviso, people get inventive/innovative, every so often. :)
(It all had to be created sometime/somewhere, no matter how fantasy stories tell us to only look to the past for the good stuff... The gold you made the 'Golden Age' from had to come from somewhere... "Our ancestors were so much more clever than us." Ha! :) )

Honestly if it didn't have such a big chance of backfiring, probably the best way to deal with Star Conquerers would be to dump Black Mercy onto them.

Personally I'm not a fan of having magic restricted to just planetside, but Zoat's made it pretty clear that's what he's using here.

I'd probably excuse the lack of magic in space based superhero stories by saying that the majority of super science sci fi tech out in the galaxy is some level of magitech and that most races simply don't differentiate magic from science.

In this case, it's becuase the Guardians of the Universe exterminated magic from said universe.

Except for Earth, because they knew very well that poking the White Entity with an antimagic stick would be a case of "they chose...poorly."

In this case, it's becuase the Guardians of the Universe exterminated magic from said universe.

Except for Earth, because they knew very well that poking the White Entity with an antimagic stick would be a case of "they chose...poorly."

The comic Guardians did lock away magic from the rest of the universe, but this stories version most likely didn't.

Theory =/= Fact

Dictionary.com said:
scientific theory

noun

a coherent group of propositions formulated to explain a group of facts or phenomena in the natural world and repeatedly confirmed through experiment or observation:the scientific theory of evolution.

But let's not be disingenuous. I know that's not what you meant, and let's respond to what you did mean.

First of all, like Darko said, Paul has a host of experts to back up his opinion. Secondly, Earth based magic is different from other forms of magic only in where it powers itself from, and th inherent rules of that source.

This has been established before in the story multiple times.

Was going back in over parts of the story and came across a mention of a left eye while Grayven is transported to Major Kelly in arc Escalation as he uses it on a disguised Grayven to find out what he knows. Seems relevant to 'Evil' Paul. This to me indicates he would be a Grayven problem

"Then use the Left Eye on him, pump him for information and then dump him somewhere. This isn't complicated. He knew Grayven was a killer when he got involved. I'm surprised you're being this squeamish about it."

Left.. eye..?

"I'm not being squeamish, but there are practical concerns here. Father T-."

"Oh, shit or get off the pot, man. Are we questioning him or letting him go?"

Major Kelly's fatigues rustle slightly for a moment and then he turns around. OBEY.

"Just one or two things, Mister Daniels." OBEY.

"Oh, what now?" I don't think so.

"Are you aware of any action Mister Grayven may be planning or have planned against the British government?" OBEY.

"Ahh… No?" The pressure to obey, to supplicate myself before him continues. But I'm a god, damn it. My metaphysique is stronger than this enchantment. And compared to the Anti-Life…

"Are you aware of any of Mister Grayven's activities outside of public knowledge and your professional relationship?" OBEY.

I shake my head. "No, not really."

Mister Kipling's eyes widen. "He's faking! Praecantatio terminalis

Do Star Conquerors have a hive mind deal or are they capable of being individuals? I know they're literally Starfish Aliens but is it possible to have some of the species (whether the classic type or the new magical kind) act according to conventional human/humanoid morality? A heroic magic-telepath starfish could be fun.
I'd have to reread their initial appearance, but my current impression is that their hostility largely stems from self-preservation, from their point of view, as well as natural instincts to control people to fulfil their goals. Are they incapable of learning a different path?

Do Star Conquerors have a hive mind deal or are they capable of being individuals? I know they're literally Starfish Aliens but is it possible to have some of the species (whether the classic type or the new magical kind) act according to conventional human/humanoid morality? A heroic magic-telepath starfish could be fun.
I'd have to reread their initial appearance, but my current impression is that their hostility largely stems from self-preservation, from their point of view, as well as natural instincts to control people to fulfil their goals. Are they incapable of learning a different path?
Well, there is Jarro.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back