• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Please stop trying to make it seem like you actually know anything. It's getting increasingly pathetic every time you try it.
Every comment like this just makes me more sympathetic to Vaermina, honestly impressed by their thick skin in the face of so much aggression.

Every comment like this just makes me more sympathetic to Vaermina, honestly impressed by their thick skin in the face of so much aggression.

I'm starting to think it's less about having a thick skin with Vaermina and more of lacking any relationship, or understanding, whatsoever with reality.

I'm starting to think it's less about having a thick skin with Vaermina and more of lacking any relationship, or understanding, whatsoever with reality.
I get that that's your view of them, I don't bother tracking names but that's generally what people try and hammer home in an unnecessarily insulting way, but I'm just impressed with Vaermina's restraint in not returning fire with fire.

Edit: I don't really know why you guys are doing it either, from my POV it just makes you look bad without any actual payoff in Vaermina's responses. Is it just for the likes (as a recent comment indicated)?

Please stop trying to make it seem like you actually know anything. It's getting increasingly pathetic every time you try it.
You might want to check your science before going around claiming others don't know things.

He's actually got a point. A million tons of feathers vs a million tons of bowling balls. Just because the density is different doesn't magically make something weigh less when you are defining it by it's weight.
Yes, but weight wise it's harmless, it would have no gravitation field of note, and the only way it could do even minimal damage would be via something firing it like a bullet. And it doesn't actually have the size to do any real damage that way because it would massively over penetrate creating nothing more then a tiny marble sized hole in the ship.

Mind you, that's ignoring that it would have exploded with the force of a small nova instantly vaporizing both Pluto, the Cluster Corp Ship, and Paul the moment containment was breached, due to the matter's gravitational effects no longer being strong enough to overcome it's natural repulsive force.

So yea, it's idiotic on multiple levels and makes me think Zoat likely meant something other then Tonnes. (Probably a million cubic kilometers.)

Was Pluto the location of the mass relay in Mass Effect? Or one of its moons? It would be a funny joke if that's what this was. I know it isn't but coming from a mass effect fic to this just had my brain go there and gave me a laugh.

Can someone translate Manga Khan's Morse code?

I'm betting it says "Lord and Lantern" or something like that.

Edit: Ninjas. Also I was right!

Paul you idiot... A million tonnes of neutronium is nothing...

It's like... Less then a square millimeter of the stuff... And less weight then a small mountain... Meaning it would have no real gravitational pull to speak of...

What makes you think that Paul was worried about the gravitational pull of the neutronium? Paul doesn't mention that at all in the reasons why the ship might be moving.

"Tractor beam. Strapped-on thrusters that are still stealthed, somehow. Some extreme-density materials escaping some sort of suppression field and causing a sudden change in local gravity. Some types of exotic portal. And… Probably other things. It might just be that someone was messing around with the ClusterShip's artificial gravity system, but-."

Yes, but weight wise it's harmless, it would have no gravitation field, and the only way it could do even minimal damage would be via something firing it like a bullet. And it doesn't actually have the size to do any real damage that way because it would massively over penetrate creating nothing more then a tiny marble sized hole in the ship.

Mind you, that's ignoring that it would have exploded with the force of a small nova instantly vaporizing both Pluto and the Cluster Corp ship the moment containment was breached, due to the matter's gravitational effects no longer being strong enough to overcome it's natural repulsive force.

So yea, it's idiotic on multiple levels and makes me think Zoat likely meant something other then Tonnes.

First of all, that was an off-the-head number for a hypothetical worst case scenario. Second of all, fucking explosions strong enough to eject matter outside the atmosphere, and a series of them, so it doesn't have to be single mass that explodes simultaneously.

Yeah, he tanked his own reputation, and refuses to pull his head out of his ass, and constantly annoy the rest of the thread. That's not being thick-skinned, that's being pig-headed.

I get that that's your view of them, I don't bother tracking names but that's generally what people try and hammer home in an unnecessarily insulting way, but I'm just impressed with Vaermina's restraint in not returning fire with fire.

Hmm.

You might want to check your science before going around claiming others don't know things.

Yeah, he's no saint. He is just as vitriolic as the rest of us, he just has so many detractors it's hard to see that.

I agree on the mass issue. A million tonnes of something is a billion kilograms, or 10^9 kg. Plugging that into the gravitational force equation, that mass a meter away from you would cause an acceleration of about 6.7*10-11 ​* 109​ = 0.067 m/s2​. Something far enough away to be on the planet they're orbiting would have to be several orders of magnitude lower than even that. Either the mass is off, or it's not gravity causing the issue.

Last edited:
12th April
11:56 GMT

"…sections have reported in."

The construct of Batman nods as Major Adams gestures to the containment device I built for the Star Hunters. Physical restrains, telepath suppression, some of Lantern Khan's robot men-at-arms and… My attempt at a ward. In theory a way for the Ophidian to feed on any spell they try to create, just in case they're not as tapped out as I think they are. I'll get Dr Balewa to replace it with something Earth-appropriate if that's where we take them.
Even a beginner's ward should be sufficient at this point. Best to be careful anyway.

"Eight of the medium sized Star Conquerors are on board and we've got some one Manga Khan's robots-"

.-.. --- .-. -.. .-.. .- -. - . .-. -.
'Lord Lantern' again? Seriously, Manga khan, he's not going to call you that no matter how many times you IM him.

"-keeping watch on them, but they're not doing anything. Whatever magic they were using, looks like they've run out. Orange-. Illustres, thinks these cages will hold them until Doctor Mist can make something more permanent."

"Unless the Guardians want them. A Sciencell would be better than anything we could build. Though given their status as a galactic menace, I'm perfectly happy to just disintegrate them. And not just because that's almost certainly what the Russians are going to do if we give them the people who abducted their cosmonauts and stole their ships."
Assuming they make it that far. Pluto is still cracking, isn't it?

"I'll take that under advisement. The status of the cosmonauts?"

"Hooked up to some sort of magic device." I shrug. "It was dead when I got there, and they appeared to be fine. Everyone here knows that they're going to have to be quarantined, so Manhunter and Doctor Mist can give them a good going over before we send them home."
Good to know they're safe. Presumably they were being used as batteries for the Chaos Starros' spellcasting.

I'm not sure what the device was supposed to do. I don't recognise a lot of the runes, and if they were using an truly alien system it will be one for the thaumaturgists.
Yet more work for Atlantis.

Major Adams nods again.

"Lantern Khan is going over the ship's internal monitoring records now. I want to be sure we got all of these things before we leave."

And that could take a while. The Star Conquerors tried doing something to L-Ron and the robotics maintenance people were badly affected by their thraldom. And Lantern Khan's blithe attitude now that the ClusterShip is back under his control means that he isn't motivated strongly enough to do it quickly.
Ugh. Seriously, if only you had the direct authority to smack him upside the aurora.

"Have you found any more of these things back on Earth?"

"Doctor Mist was able to trace them. We'll be launching an attack shortly."
Hopefully the League's previous dosage of anti-Starro device will hold out. Wouldn't do for the team to get mind-controlled again.

"I'll be glad to know those things are finally dealt with. Good luck. Captain Atom out."

I shut the communication channel down. Okay, next step. Kahn's getting the ClusterCorpCrew back into order. Alan and Koriand'r are checking on the crew's health. I… Could go and patch the-.

The ship.. vibrates.
...Well, that isn't good.

-hull-?

"Illustres to Lantern Khan. Are we underway?"
Why ask him, he doesn't care enough to know.

"I don't know. Are we?"

"I felt a vibrat-." Why am I bothering asking him? "Ring, source of vibration?"
God, it's like Manga Khan has been sapping his intelligence this whole arc.

"Ejection of matter from planet."

Hm. Well, I know that sufficiently violent volcanic eruptions on Earth can throw material into space. And if things are getting that violent then I think we can safely assume that no Star Conquerors went down there. But just in case
They didn't need to go down there, they were already there!

"Captain Atom, unless you desperately need me I'd like to head outside and make sure that we're not about to get a continent thrown at us. This ship has shields, but they're not military grade."

He shakes his head, then nods at the Star Hunter.

"I'd rather have you stay on guard."
I would still have real-time monitoring active. Even if you can't go outside yourself, you can look.

I nod.

"Illustres to Lantern Koriand'r. Please exit the ship and prepare to block mass ejections from the planet."

"I will go at once."
Here's hoping she doesn't get hit first by whatever's digging its way free of Pluto.

I take a moment to scan the planet myself. I.. would have expected things to have died down by now, but it looks like the force of the internal explosions is being amplified by a solid structure under the planet's 'crust'. But the worst that could mean for us is that we'd need to make a jump with the ship before the crew are fully compos mentis. I'd-.

Why is that… Getting closer?
:eek:...Fuck, it's strong enough to pull them in from orbit?

"Lantern Khan, are we underway?"

"No, no, haven't touched the controls. Are we moving? Because I can go and shout at some people."
Moving might be a good idea in general...

"Stand by."

Major Adams frowns.

"What's the problem?"
Oh, nothing much, just Pluto rolling in its sleep...

"We're getting closer to the planet. Not.. quickly, but… This ship isn't designed to land."

"Was it the.. decompression? Were we pushed out of orbit?"
Physics isn't that loose, even in this universe. It'd have to vent, what, a thousand ship's masses worth of atmosphere to shift its orbital trajectory that much.

I shake my head.

"No, the atmosphere filter means that nothing like enough air escaped to do that. And the ClusterShip has automatic systems to anchor it in geosynchronous orbit and the Star Conquerors didn't remove them." I shrug. "With the crew recovering we can't fly away yet, but if it comes to it I can just tow the ship myself. The issue is that if I don't know why this is happening…"
And it's really making your neck itch, isn't it? :p Feeling a knife there, about to slip in?

He nods.

"We don't know what else is going to happen. What would cause this?"

"Tractor beam. Strapped-on thrusters that are still stealthed, somehow. Some extreme-density materials escaping some sort of suppression field and causing a sudden change in local gravity. Some types of exotic portal. And… Probably other things. It might just be that someone was messing around with the ClusterShip's artificial gravity system, but-."
So many things, so little likelihood of any of them being the cause...

"Lantern Koriand'r to Illustres."

"Go ahead."

"The eruptions are decreasing in intensity, but planet quakes are happening over a much wider area."
It's going to be like that scene in the Akira movie, isn't it? When Tetsuo lifts that container out of the underground vault... Slabs of rock tumbling like pebbles before something vast.

Okay, worse case scenario… Someone stuck a million tonnes of neutronium down there in a zero-tau field that was breached by the mining laser. That's… Still not a threat to anything other than this ship and us. And… Our movement downwards appears to be accelerating. Not.. to a terrifying rate, but I'm a little concerned.
:confused: I'm sure others have plenty to say about the neutronium thing. All I know, I wouldn't want to be anywhere near it, whether it's moving or not...

"Captain, the worse case scenarios here are much easier to deal with if I can see them coming. The Star Hunters aren't going anywhere, and between your lack of an organic brain in your enhanced state and your spell eater, you could incinerate them even if they did regain consciousness."

"Okay, if you're that worried, get out there."
And now the Captain's starting to get concerned, isn't he? This is a bit above his pay-grade...

"I'm not worried-worried. Just concerned about the bounds of my own ignorance."
Oh, boy, that line's a big opening for so many comebacks...:rolleyes:

I raise my left hand to my forehead

and a moment later

I'm looking down at the fracturing planet.
Well, that's not good at all. o_O Are we about to lose Pluto? It just never catches a break in any DC timeline, does it?

Man, this is looking worse and worse. And OL has no idea what's about to rip out of there, yet. Let's hope his telepathic shielding is up to snuff against five brains the size of New York State...

Zoat did Paul just create some kind of symbol, most likely the symbol of the Orange Light, near the Star Conquerors and just set it up so that it absorbs their magic using Orange Light, like how he absorbed some of Sephtians magic after the Hell fiasco?

How are they so blase about this?

The Star Conquerors cracked a dwarf planet and Paul is worried about the ship???

And he even detected a structure!

Unless the Stars are messing with their m(inds I will be very disappointed in them for not getting that something dangerus is breaking out.

Zoat did Paul just create some kind of symbol, most likely the symbol of the Orange Light, near the Star Conquerors and just set it up so that it absorbs their magic using Orange Light, like how he absorbed some of Sephtians magic after the Hell fiasco?
I don't remember exactly what he did back then, but no. This works the orange sigil into it but also has a lot of other runic programming.

I don't remember exactly what he did back then, but no. This works the orange sigil into it but also has a lot of other runic programming.

Here's what he did

"Sorry."

"So my answer is 'maybe'. I would wager that the Ophidian involving herself directly would have that effect, but I would not so wager for a normal recharge. Though that is not a certainty. I have no specific knowledge of power rings. I merely know that some arcane artefacts can retain tracing charms when being recharged."

"Okay." I hold out my hands towards him. "Please put a tracer spell on these."

He stares for a moment, and the rings sort of… Glisten? Alright, I've suspected that this is possible for a while

Rings, there is a foreign energy attached to you. Consume it.

Unable to precisely identify energy form. Initiate general purpose consumption?

… Yes?

"In progress."

The water around my hands turns to ice-. No, turns to frozen oxygen and hydrogen before melting and turning into a cloud of bubbles.

"Did that get it?"

"No, it did not. Perhaps-."

"Rings, try harder. Not heat, not electromagnetism, not matter. Magic. Think more like the orange light itself. Like what you do when you turn someone into an orange construct."

"Attempting."

And I-. Feel something.

Sephtian gasps as a faint orange sheen shimmers over his skin.

"Consumption complete."

"Did I get it?"

"Yes. Yes you did. And please do not ask me to ensorce your rings ever again. I think you may have found a way to save on your frequent spell eater consumption, and I assure you that the experience is no more pleasant for the caster."

Nice to see Paul advance in his use of magic.

Yeah, he's no saint. He is just as vitriolic as the rest of us, he just has so many detractors it's hard to see that.
No, V says stuff like this:

At least when they're even involving the person making the argument at all, generally they stick to the actual argument.

Everyone else responds with this:

This coming from you drips with so much irony that you need gutters installed.

Forget what Silverias said, you don't need a gutter for all your painfully ironic statements, you need a continent wide sewage system.

Dear god, you really do enjoy trying to act like you
actually know anything, do you?

Trying to actually use your brain may seem frightening, but please do it. You may find tha it's a whole lot easier to convince people to agree with you if you actually used your brain on more than just the rare occasion.

It's a rhetorical device. English, motherfucker. Do you speak it?

Why indeed? It is Vaermina after all.

I also haven't checked every time you've been an asshole to see if you were shitting a unicorn, but it still also hasn't happened.

It not equivalent, at all. There's only so far past reputation can justify your gut reactions, especially when I've seen interactions with V and others (presumably not regular commentators) that are generally positive on both sides. Even the regular's who pile on generally have some kinda rebuttal, but you gotta add the toxic comments too. V has a problem with automatically having 'Paul is wrong' as a stance, you guys have a problem with automatically having 'V is wrong' as a stance. That's an equivalency that works. V has the mildest form of aggression I've ever seen though, and his biases on Paul don't really effect anyone but himself (unless you let it) because I'm almost certain Zoat has got him on ignore. You guys have the most self-righteous form of aggression I've ever seen for the most trivial shit, and while V seems to be fine with it, it's still aggressively mobbing the unpopular kid.

It not equivalent, at all. There's only so far past reputation can justify your gut reactions, especially when I've seen interactions with V and others (presumably not regular commentators) that are generally positive on both sides. Even the regular's who pile on generally have some kinda rebuttal, but you gotta add the toxic comments too. V has a problem with automatically having 'Paul is wrong' as a stance, you guys have a problem with automatically having 'V is wrong' as a stance. That's an equivalency that works. V has the mildest form of aggression I've ever seen though, and his biases on Paul don't really effect anyone but himself (unless you let it) because I'm almost certain Zoat has got him on ignore. You guys have the most self-righteous form of aggression I've ever seen for the most trivial shit, and while V seems to be fine with it, it's still aggressively mobbing the unpopular kid.

We don't have an automatic problem with Vaermina whenever they post some new comment. There are times when people have agreed with what they posted, including myself, rare as those moments are, but if they continue to post comment after comment with no basis in reality whatsoever and use every justification, no matter how insignificant. nonsensical, misinformed and pathetic it is, to justify it, which they tend to do most of the time, then people really aren't going to want to be friendly or agree with them. If they also don't actually try to stop or change their stance, even when provided with reasonable evidence on why their stance is wrong, then people won't try to politely dissuade them. There comes a point where you can just lose patience with someones stupidity, that being polite to them feels like a wasted effort.

And calling us self righteous and aggressive over trivial shit is ironic considering that Vaermina has practically come to define that on this site.

If they also don't actually try to stop or change their stance, even when provided with reasonable evidence on why their stance is wrong, then people won't try to politely dissuade them.
Or what I actually see: 'If they don't try to stop or change their stance, even when piled on and aggressively mocked, they deserve what's comin to em'. Because we all know having a personal head canon despite someone on the internet disagreeing with you, is grounds for whatever insult you can think of.

And calling us self righteous and aggressive over trivial shit is ironic considering that Vaermina has practically come to define that on this site.
I'm not seeing it, overly certain maybe, aggressive and self-righteous? Nah.

Seconding that Vaermina is, unusually, actually right here. A million ton of neutronium has a mass of a million tons, which is basically nothing on a planetary scale. Now, a million cubic tons of neutronium at neutron star density... would still only raise Pluto's mass by 3%.

A million of a human-scale volumetric unit simply isn't gonna make any impression on a planet.

Or what I actually see: 'If they don't try to stop or change their stance, even when piled on and aggressively mocked, they deserve what's comin to em'. Because we all know having a personal head canon despite someone on the internet disagreeing with you, is grounds for whatever insult you can think of.

It's more like 'If they don't change their stance when presented with logical reasons why their stance is wrong, and hold onto those wrong beliefs no matter what, then you honestly find it difficult to sympathize with them'.

No, an individual having a personal head canon despite someone on the internet disagreeing with them isn't grounds for insulting that individual, but having a personal head canon that you believe in, when said canon makes zero sense, contradicts the actual canon of the story, and you still hold onto it even when told in a reasonable way why it is wrong, and insult and consider everyone that disagrees with you on your beliefs, even when they try to be as reasonable as possible, to be utter morons that are barely able to function, then people can become less polite, seeing as politeness doesn't seem to be working.

If being polite and reasonable doesn't work anymore, maybe being insulting and reasonable will. It's certainly a lot less mentally taxing than trying to be polite to someone like that.

Just because someone is a pariah that doesn't mean they're somehow a poor victim that needs to be defended from everyone that thinks badly of them. There are times when the pariah can just be a giant bastard that people tried to be friendly with, but they just kept insulting those people, so those people eventually just stopped being polite. The insults we throw at Vaermina are at least based in reality and truth, unlike many other pariahs, who have had things completely made up about them to insult them.

I'm not seeing it, overly certain maybe, aggressive and self-righteous? Nah.

We may have a very different definition on overly certain and aggressive self-righteousness.

Vaermina has been doing shit like this since Zoat started writing this story on SB, which was about 7 years ago, and doesn't seem to be stopping.

There comes a point when being overly certain can become being self-righteously aggressive, and after 7 years of Vaermina still doing this shit I'd say that said point has been reached.

I'm thinking when the Star Conquerors went into hiding one or more of the big ones got themselves frozen in Pluto. This was them getting it out.

Probably.

The other thing that could be down there is a ship they left from one of the races they controlled, but it's probably a really big Star Conqueror.

Well its gonna be interesting reading about a planet sized starro.

Seconding that Vaermina is, unusually, actually right here. A million ton of neutronium has a mass of a million tons, which is basically nothing on a planetary scale. Now, a million cubic tons of neutronium at neutron star density... would still only raise Pluto's mass by 3%.

A million of a human-scale volumetric unit simply isn't gonna make any impression on a planet.
I'm sorry, this sounds like something I should actually have read. Would anyone care to reiterate?

I'm sorry, this sounds like something I should actually have read. Would anyone care to reiterate?
I understand the comment to be about how the mass of that much neutronium would be irrelevant as far as gravity is concerned.

That what would be relevant is the change in volume, as a tiny volume turns in an immense one, which would produce an massive explosion. (That was in a second post.)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back