• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Paul: "We prevented your timeline from being the dominant timeline, so you actually can't go back to your own time, so we actually can't send you home, only to something that probably resembles it, but it's not our problem either, so get out."
however far forward in the future
New Future Hero Group: "Time Traveling without a license? That's illegal. Off to time jail with you."
Old Future 'Hero' Group: "It wasn't illegal when we left!"
New Future Hero Group: "And when did you leave?"
Old Future 'Hero' Group: "It was now, but the timeline got altered so we didn't go to our home timeline."
New Future Hero Group: "Well, that's not our fault now is it? Off to time jail."

Somehow I expect they're going to be a problem for Paul in the future again.
They have to go back in time to before the point of divergence, then they will be able to go forward in time to their own future?

Last edited:
"Is there anyone else here? Because we've only got one time machine, so if we shove the four of you into it anyone else will be left behind."

"No."

"Now, we can't scan you brain, and Saturn Girl could probably keep us out if we weren't willing to inflict lasting psychological harm -and we're not- but I doubt that Magnet Boy is that resilient. Do you want to change your answer?"

"No. Aside form Dana, there's no one."
There's going to turn out to be a second time-travel copy of Cosmic boy, isn't there?

13th September 2012
18:22 GMT -6

I yank the pizza delivery girl up into the air, the Hawaiians she was carrying falling to the ground.

At least nothing of value was lost.
Bit of a sudden shift. But I suppose he's not going to cry over spilt milk. Truggs is gone? Move on to the next priority. Which means the Legion... At least, until Overman shows up with his world's Paul in tow to collect Angelika...

It's noteworthy that she doesn't react with fear. Rather, she does a quick test of her bonds and then goes limp, waiting to see what happens.

"You know, you're rather lucky."
Yeah, good sign you've got the right person there. Or you didn't and she's just a recurring supervillain victim...

"'cause crazy people kidnap me?"

"Because I found you ahead of the Chinese. Do you know what they do to Durlans?"
Hint, it's not pleasant. Not at all.

"What? What's a 'Dulan'?"

"Knock it off, Chameleon Boy. You didn't take the hint when I stopped Persuader killing Superman, but now you and yours are actually making my life difficult. The Chinese are really good at detecting Durlans, and their information sharing with the League covers the technology they use to do-"
In other words, Cham, 'You're nicked.'

Giving it up as a bad job, she reverts to his neutral humanoid form. Looks like the clothes weren't part of his body.

"-it. You can use your actual neutral form if you want; I know what it looks like."
Heh, a rare example of shapeshifters who don't basically go about nude while disguised. Looking at you, Miss M.
<M'Gann blushes.>
:D Not complaining.
<Blush intensifies.>

"That's not a good look around humanoids." He tests his construct bonds again. "What happened?"

"Dana Dearden."
Heck, he's seen stranger things, not like a budget shoggoth will faze him.

"What's she doing here?"

"I can only suggest that you ask Brainiac Five. I'm holding onto her coins until the four of you are back in the future where you belong."
;) ...As in, you'll hand them over once they're safely ensconced in their time machine and about to leave, and not one moment sooner? Because the alternative is leaving her powerless.

"That won't stop us coming back again."

"Yes it will; this isn't your past any longer, something I'd have been happy to explain to you if you'd just asked."
Admittedly, it's not the first time Legions have jumped timelines while travelling. At least one of the known variants is from Superboy Prime's Earth. Hooray for Hypertime.

"'Not our'-? Is that why our communicators stopped working?"

"I don't know what technology you use to communicate with the-." I wince. "It's not 'write a message and bury it', is it?"
Hey, can't beat the classics. Admittedly, you'd want a spot you know isn't going to get atomised by a nuclear blast or something.

"We tried that when the normal way didn't work, but we haven't had a response."

"And telepathy doesn't work worth a damn on Durlans because your minds can run on anything. How long have you been on Earth? In this era?"
And how many events have you messed up in an attempt to 'fix' time?

"We got here just ahead of Persuader."

"'Just ahead-?"

"Time travel." / "Time travel."
:rolleyes: Hooray for adjustable destination coordinates.

I nod as I turn and fly across the town that the visiting members of the Legion of Superheroes have made into their base of operations.

"I'll give you a full explanation when the three of you are together, but the reason for you being here has been rendered null and void."
Oh, that's going to go over well. You may need drawings to explain the changes to temporal mechanics...

"Because you've already unmade our future?"

"Because it's not this timeline's future any longer. Seriously, if we gave you a time machine and you returned to your era, you wouldn't see the things you remember."
...In which case, how can you be certain sending them home will get them to the right timeline anyway?

"That's what I said."

I generate a construct rope and suspend it in the air in front of him. The upper part has 'future' written on it, and the bottom 'present'.
Ah, even better than drawings. Hopefully this is as easy to understand as Doc Brown's explanation in 'Back To The Future 2'

"History. You arrived-"

I generate an arrow construct to point at the upper part of 'present'.

"-here. Krona and Time Trapper cut it off here."
A fine start so far...

I cut it off above 'present' and move the 'future' away from it.

"Your past has been restored already."
Presumably branching off somewhere further down the timeline, deeper down History.

I have the 'future' rope extend downwards, forming a 'present'.

"And I don't know what our future looks like, but hopefully it involves fewer time travelling inconveniences. Probably won't involve the United Planets, because I'm going to devote a substantial portion of the next century to burning the Reach to the ground, but that's not your problem."
;) <Turns to look at the audience> Everyone got that? Good? Good!

I'm not sure whether Chameleon Boy usually does facial expressions, but he definitely isn't bothering now.

"How do you know about this?"
...He helped set it up? OL, you may want to cover that when you explain it to all of them together.

"Dana tried arresting me. With everything else that was going on, Justice League telepaths scanned her. Between her and Abra Kadabra's willing cooperation-."

"He really comes from the seventieth century?"
A Seventieth Century, yes. His future is grandfathered in, same as Truggs'. Just on different tracks, if I understand right. Tracks that start somewhere before OL's arrival, same as Mandated!Paul's timeline...

"Some point in the future, yes. So other than you, Magnet Boy and Saturn Girl, is there anyone else here? Anyone that Dana didn't know about?"

"It's Cosmic Boy."

"Does he manipulate magnetic fields or 'cosmic' fields?"
Technically, no. I presume he picked it because it sounded cooler than 'Magnet Boy'. :p

"Magnetic, but that's still not his name."

"Then he should have picked a name that's a little less risible."
I mean, not every legionnaire is named after their power. Especially the Founders.

I nod as I see Angelika fly in our direction, a young woman I assume to be Saturn Girl-. Yes, that's the brain of a telepathic human. And a Belle Reve issue power suppression collar because we know what the brains of telepathic humans look like. Saturn Girl flying just ahead of her using her Legion flight ring.

"Is there anyone else here? Because we've only got one time machine, so if we shove the four of you into it anyone else will be left behind."
I bet Imra there is not happy about any of this either. If nothing else, she knows Brainy will chew their asses out for this.

"No."

"Now, we can't scan you brain, and Saturn Girl could probably keep us out if we weren't willing to inflict lasting psychological harm -and we're not- but I doubt that Magnet Boy is that resilient. Do you want to change your answer?"
...How many seats does the usual Legion Time Bubble have anyway? Four?

"Glad to hear it. What were you four even doing here, anyway?"
Besides making a dreadful mess of your mission?

"Trying to work out what went wrong."

"And ignoring the fact that you're the ones from the bad future?"
And let's not sugar-coat it, most versions of the United Planets Era aren't actually that fun, especially if you aren't part of the 'in' group.

"Lot's of bad things happened in the last. For me, the Reach occupation of Earth-."

"Nine hundred years ago, and the Durlan Civil War was probably a bigger deal in your history class."
A lot can happen in nine hundred years. And that's on just one planet.

"Yeah."

"Good news! It's not your problem any more. Good luck with your future, and may you never darken our doors again."
Until another group of Legionnaires turn up looking for them, or alternate versions of them do. Who knows?

I still can't believe it was that easy... I just know the other shoe is tumbling through the air, waiting for the worst possible moment to drop. Let's just hope OL is on planet when it does, so we can hear about it. Still, at least the Legion Lost subplot is effectively closed... For now. Now, what to do with all these Supergirls...

"No. Aside from Dana, there's no one."

He has an irrational hatred of Time Travel.
I sympathize with that. I had a D&D wizard character who went on a Doctor Who-like time travel adventure. During which we broke one prophecy, subverting another, and then wound up 10 years in the future, after being magically aged 20 years older. He developed the same Irrational hatred for time travel that Paul has. When ever it comes up it's a 50/50 on whether my character will start literally cursing or crying.

Heh, a rare example of shapeshifters who don't basically go about nude while disguised. Looking at you, Miss M.
<M'Gann blushes.>
:D Not complaining.
<Blush intensifies.>

Hey, she wears clothing.

Yeah it's just that red x thing, but it still counts.

I mean, not every legionnaire is named after their power. Especially the Founders

And Saturn Girl is probably the best example.

At least the others have names that make sense, even Cosmic Boy, who can manipulate a fundamental part of the cosmos.

And let's not sugar-coat it, most versions of the United Planets Era aren't actually that fun, especially if you aren't part of the 'in' group

True, but to them it's all they've known and they may think it's better than not having anything there that can help form diplomatic and peaceful relations between various species, and they'd kinda be right.

Darko mentioning Kipling made think of the possibility of Paul getting him, Ambrose, and any other trenchcoat wearing magician together to create a version of the Trenchcoat Brigade. That would good for a little fun. Even better, it might draw out John Constantine.

That doesn't sound like a good thing.

The chapters above this have the same date, Sept. 13. So shouldn't be this one be removed?
"No. Aside from Dana, there's no one."
Thank you, corrected.
;) ...As in, you'll hand them over once they're safely ensconced in their time machine and about to leave, and not one moment sooner? Because the alternative is leaving her powerless.
No it wouldn't. She's a time traveller. He could just bury them in a hole and she could dig them out when she arrives in the future.
Well I do like the LoS but there was no cold day in HFIL or Zeus becoming Celibate way they were gonna convince Paul, or anyone, that letting the Earth get destroyed by the Reach is a good thing.

So...Bye Felicia.
Black Cat was an option?
Was this "Life of Brian" Biggus Dickus reference?
Not deliberately.

No it wouldn't. She's a time traveller. He could just bury them in a hole and she could dig them out when she arrives in the future.
How is shoving them in a time machine supposed to help here?
Or burying the coins?

Because as I understand it, the future they come from was sufficiently divergent from the changed OL made, it got spinoff into its own parallel dimension. Taking them to the future from their current location takes them to OLC-Reach-be-gone future. Likewise, burying the coins in the here and now won't allow them to be dug up anywhere but this parallels future. Not the United Planets future, there they were never buried in the past.

If you want to bury the coins where Dana can dig them up in the justice legion of teenage kids future, you are going to first use a dimensional travel ability to go to their past (where OL was not active.)

Likewise, getting them home is going to need a sideways shunt (Sliders) and then the use of a time machine.

"I can only suggest that you ask Brainiac Five. I'm holding onto her coins until the four of you are back in the future where you belong."
…isn't Dana a native of the present? Don't think she can be said to 'belong' in the future.

Wait. He is sending them to the 'current' future? The one they quite likely never existed in.
…given he is immortal isn't that just making them his future self's problem?

Since you changed the TOC to Sept. 14, shouldn't this say Sept. 14 as well?
Thank you, corrected.
How is shoving them in a time machine supposed to help here?
Or burying the coins?

Because as I understand it, the future they come from was sufficiently divergent from the changed OL made, it got spinoff into its own parallel dimension. Taking them to the future from their current location takes them to OLC-Reach-be-gone future. Likewise, burying the coins in the here and now won't allow them to be dug up anywhere but this parallels future. Not the United Planets future, there they were never buried in the past.

If you want to bury the coins where Dana can dig them up in the justice legion of teenage kids future, you are going to first use a dimensional travel ability to go to their past (where OL was not active.)

Likewise, getting them home is going to need a sideways shunt (Sliders) and then the use of a time machine.
Broadly correct, though he could attach a burrowing robot to the time sphere and have it dig one after it switches tracks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back