• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

There were several points in the story that it was mentioned that an American politician was disgraced due to sleeping with cheerleaders. I think they were referring to the VP.
That would sadly be in-character for at least one of the types of person that have become politicians, for about as long as there have been politicians. He probably denied it, too, but 'well, he would, wouldn't he?'

That happened in the Renegade timeline. SHADE may end up being a problem in the Paragon timeline later down the line.
If you remember, they originally weren't going to bother with Horne. Then the Renegade was a positive influence on him.

I wouldn't want to be Senator Knight, is what I'm saying.
There were several points in the story that it was mentioned that an American politician was disgraced due to sleeping with cheerleaders. I think they were referring to the VP.
Horne's opponent in his first election. The Republican party's previous president actually made an effort to get his VP's name associated with popular programs during his second term, and the man was perfectly capable and generally well liked. As a result, Democrat who wanted the nomination at some point in the future decided to skip that election and try later. Horne was the party candidate because it didn't matter if he lost.

And then the video came out, the VP's reputation tanks, Horne actually put in an uncharacteristically charismatic debate performance and the Democratic party couldn't really swap him out at that late stage.

I think it's more that he spent time to get to know Jade before expressing his interest in her. As such, he regards her as important and makes sure to spend time with her when they're both free, which admittedly not as often as it used to be. However, just because they both have busy lives doesn't mean they can't try to make their relationship work. If it does, great; if it doesn't, that's fine too. I think the two of them are mature enough to end a relationship if they both find they aren't satisfied by it. Besides, we already saw a relationship crash and burn when the Renegade screwed up his relationship with his version of Jade, so I'd rather we don't see that happen again with Paul.
The problem has never been on Paul's side. He is perfectly happy with a relationship that only exists for a day or two every other month when two busy people both happen to be free at the same time.
Jade however is not. She wants something more significant than what they have. Quite possibly more significant than the semi-eldritch quasi-abomination Paul has become can give her.

Was I the only one expecting a bombshell candidate name to drop ? Like President LEX LUTHOR ?

i mean if they really wanted to get away from work, i'm sure Paul could throw together a makeshift cottage on an isolated beach on Themiscyra, and we could see what Zoat could accomplish in terms of erotic prose...

in all seriousness though, i think it would be entertaining to see Pavlos' fellow Themiscyran citizens interacting with Jade. who gets jealous, who would want to have a sparring session, who would do the 'older sister teasing' thing... i think i just really enjoy the bawdy Amazon culture.

Was I the only one expecting a bombshell candidate name to drop ? Like President LEX LUTHOR?
Luthor hasn't really done anything to win the public over to his side, and he isn't strongly associated with either major party. It would be a struggle, and that's not the Light's plan.

Luthor hasn't really done anything to win the public over to his side, and he isn't strongly associated with either major party. It would be a struggle, and that's not the Light's plan.

While what you are saying is true, my mind instinctively goes to Lex Luther US President any time I watch a quite scene in the DC universe with everybody relaxing and then suddenly somebody mentions the presidential race.

22nd September 2012
07:21 GMT -5

"Unless they print a truly stupid amount of money -and I don't think he would- all he has to do is convince people that the government has things in hand, and then whether or not his actions would improve things by themselves, normalcy will return because people will convince themselves that it is returning. Knight won't be a great President, but he would actually do President stuff, and sometimes a placeholder is all that's required."

Just a touch of commentary?

Trigon doesn't need power ups, he can just flat out conquer the entire universe, or supposedly, rip a universe apart like its made out of tissue paper. He was trapped once in the comics. He escaped by consuming the souls of every single being in a universe.

Raven inherited his power. In the Teen Titans/X-Men crossover, Dark Phoenix acknowledged Raven as a spiritual sister and peer.

But since he's a Titan villain he doesn't get all the hype Darkseid gets, plus DC doesn't shill Trigon ad nausea.

Unless Zoat massively nerfs Trigon there's absolutely nothing Paragon can do to stop him once invited in.

I don't know, I only know Trigon from the Teen Titan cartoon but a quick reading of his villains wiki page kind of takes the wind out of this.
1. Trigon tries to take over the world the Teen Titans stop him.
2. Trigon takes over the world and Raven joins him, Raven then dies and Trigon is killed
3. Trigon comes to earth to kill Superman, Mr Mxyzptlk fights him to at least a stand still
4. Some how and for come reason Bizarro and Trigon fight, Bizarro punches a hole through him and crushes his heart?o_O

Trigon does have a limitation- He can't stay if he's not invited. He needs Raven to invite him into the universe, and then he can conquer it and turn it into his own personal infernal playground.

And Paul is a Utilitarian so if one person needs to die to save the world...

I don't know, I only know Trigon from the Teen Titan cartoon but a quick reading of his villains wiki page kind of takes the wind out of this.
1. Trigon tries to take over the world the Teen Titans stop him.
2. Trigon takes over the world and Raven joins him, Raven then dies and Trigon is killed
3. Trigon comes to earth to kill Superman, Mr Mxyzptlk fights him to at least a stand still
4. Some how and for come reason Bizarro and Trigon fight, Bizarro punches a hole through him and crushes his heart?o_O

And Paul is a Utilitarian so if one person needs to die to save the world...

1-Raven defeated Trigon. As I stated, she inherited his power.

2- Again, Raven defeated Trigon (post mortem), I repeat, she inherited his power.

3- Myxy is shown in World's Funnest to destroy the DC multiverses on a weekly basis while play fighting with Bat-mite. They then snap their fingers and return everything back to normal. So whatever point you think that is, isn't.

4- And that was Bizarro showing beyond Superman power levels, with people in and out of character not knowing where that new power came from. So defeat by deus ex machina. Never mind that this is post flashpoint, where Trigon is a lord of hell and Etrigan's grandfather, which means he really isn't the same being that is the demon god of his own dimension.

Wow this is a nice change of pace. We get some downtime to see how things are progressing after the long work time off-planet.

Including that election subplot which should come to fruition in a couple months in both timelines.

So, a pleasant start to the holiday. Still, too early to tell is this'll be a running theme for the rest of the episode... I guess we'll see, as things unfold. Let's just hope something doesn't happen to interrupt this pleasant little time. And something will, I'm sure. Between 'comic book universe' and 'being the protagonist', OL's gonna get dragged into trouble sooner or later.

This entire arc will be "improbably over the top shenanigans occur in the background of every scene while partially blurred out of focus by a level-of-detail filter focused on the foreground protagonist's party"

How come Paul had dirty clothing last chapter? Does he want to make his clothing dirty? Because if not, shouldn't the Ring take care of it automatically?

How come Paul had dirty clothing last chapter? Does he want to make his clothing dirty? Because if not, shouldn't the Ring take care of it automatically?

I kind of assumed that was a super early sign that some more shenanigans were ensuing ala mental world/dream things, as a way of getting Paul to not notice anything by putting him in a downtime dream zone where he's supposed to be being inactive and keeping himself out of things and his mind off of strangeness. The other times things like this have happened it was too perfect, and perfection is far far faaaar too suspicious. Mundanity is far easier to get right, just throw a distant casual explosion in occasionally and he'll never know! It's the return of boss smiley!

Or maybe he's just having actual down time, who can say?

I kind of assumed that was a super early sign that some more shenanigans were ensuing ala mental world/dream things, as a way of getting Paul to not notice anything by putting him in a downtime dream zone where he's supposed to be being inactive and keeping himself out of things and his mind off of strangeness. The other times things like this have happened it was too perfect, and perfection is far far faaaar too suspicious. Mundanity is far easier to get right, just throw a distant casual explosion in occasionally and he'll never know! It's the return of boss smiley!

Given Zoat still hasn't addressed the Demon Text... You might be right...

Perhaps thare are clothes so dirty that even an orange power ring can't clean them?

My money's on return of Constantine.

Workhorse (part 3)
26th September 2012
10:02 GMT +3

Jade and I wave as the cocoa lorry drives away down the road.

Maybe I'm being a bit… Imperialistic, but I rather assumed that Kenya would have worse roads than this. Or-. Well, it looks fairly recently built, so maybe this was part of the post-Sheeda reconstruction?

I make a point of not having my ring just tell me.

Jade checks the balance of her backpack. "I think he's going to be dining out on that for a while."

"What?"

She peers at me quizzically, then… Then she smiles. "You don't know that you own this, do you?"

"What, the… Portal? I think they're leased."

"That truck, this road, that-" She points at the field of cocoa plants just the other side of the fence at the edge of the road. "-field, that-" Then points to the one on the opposite side of the road. "-field, and probably every field we're going to walk past for the rest of the day."

"Oh."

"It must be nice to be that rich."

I awkwardly adjust my own pack. "Money's just a tool?"

"Do you even know what your company is doing here?"

"Only very broadly. Farming equipment comes in, which helps areas ravaged by the Sheeda rebuild and export agricultural products back to Europe under contract for a guaranteed price."

"And you own the company outright, which means that all of the profit they make is yours."

I shrug. "I didn't want Kraft owning it."

She looks away as we start walking along the side of the road. My ring's environmental shield is keeping Kenya's Autumn sun off me, but Jade opted to just bear it. It's about as hot right now as a typical British mid-summer and I don't like British mid-summer. But I suppose that she's more used to generalised hardship than me. Or… Prides herself on her ability to withstand it more than I do.

"Do you know what other reconstruction work your company has done?"

"Ah… Some civic infrastructure? Primary schools, sanitation, that sort of thing. It's basically-. What do you know about Industrial Revolution Britain?"

"Not a great deal."

"Well, there was a huge movement of people from the countryside to the cities, which resulted in large numbers of people crammed into tiny, unsanitary hovels. But a precious few of the newly wealthy industrialists realised that treating their workers that badly was immoral, and.. spread diseases which they could catch. So they took to building model communities for their workforces. Bigger houses available at low rents, wider roads, ornate churches and uplifting entertainments. In the case of Cadbury's, they built Bournville. You still can't buy alcohol there."

"Because alcohol encourages immorality. Were they Puritans?"

"Quakers, but really devout, ball-games-banned-on-Sunday Quakers. So us doing this sort of thing is really traditional as far as British Industrialists in general and Cadbury's in particular are concerned. Felicity loves it."

"Flushing toilets are more useful than a concert hall."

"Or art, like the Medicis tried. The Cadburys didn't look at it as a way to assuage their own guilt at their wealth. They did it because they saw an opportunity to make the world a better place."

Jade smiles faintly.

"I thought you were just in it for the chocolate."

"In this heat?"

"It's not that hot."

"It is if you're chocolate. Ah, though the first generation to grow up in Bournville were just the right age to fight in the First World War, so… Maybe hope that history doesn't repeat in quite the same way."

"You shouldn't plan another war until you've finished the one you've already got."

"After the Reach, any other war would be a step down. I mean, the Dominion are the Reach without the social skills or cunning, the Spider Guild are the Reach without the technology or intelligence and also without the social skills or cunning. The only real threat would be Apokolips, and they don't really go in for mass combat."

She glances my way with a small smirk.

"Planning on conquering the galaxy?"

"No. Nothing I particularly want requires it. Dox… Might be interested, but I think he could probably do a good job at it. Besides, ruling the galaxy in any meaningful sort of way is actually really hard. It's just too many people and too big an area."

"What would that mean for Earth?"

"Probably nothing. I can't believe that we still haven't got a faster than light drive, yet. Of all the things for the Light not to steal…"

"You could steal something."

"No point. I already have access to dozens of forms of faster than light travel. I don't bring them here because I don't want people getting lazy."

"Theft is a growing sector of the economy."

"And requires all sorts of skills that lend themselves to a species earning a place in the wider universe." I frown mildly. "Have you ever been to Kenya before? Other than-"

"Yes."

"-those professional occasions I already know about."

"Good phrasing."

"Thank you, I've been practising."

"No, not apart from that."

I frown a little. "You joined the Shadows almost immediately after leaving home, right?"

"Yes?"

"Have you been working full time since then? That is to say, even longer than I have?"

"The League of Shadows has-. Had retreats. And no one really cared if I disappeared for a few days between jobs. But I wanted to prove myself."

"So no backpacking across Kenya?"

"We had wilderness survival lessons. And urban survival lessons. And practice. This wasn't something we did for fun. What about you?"

"Before I came to this world, the closest I got to Kenya was Sharm el-Sheikh."

"No backpacking?"

"With the Scouts a few times. But it was usually colder and raining. Last time I carried a load this heavy, I was still in Secondary School."

"Was it a camping trip?"

"Lockers in inconvenient places and a bus that left five minutes after the school day ended. Some textbooks can be surprisingly heavy."

Last edited:
She peers at me quizzically, then… Then she smiles. "You don't know that you own this, do you?"

"What, the… Portal? I think they're leased."

"That truck, this road, that-" She points at the field of cocoa plants just the other side of the fence at the edge of the road. "-field, that-" The points to the one on the opposite side of the road. "-field, and probably every field we're going to walk past for the rest of the day."

"Oh."

"It must be nice to be that rich."

I awkwardly adjust my own pack. "Money's just a tool?"

"Do you even know what your company is doing here?"

"Only very broadly. Farming equipment comes in, which helps areas ravaged by the Sheeda rebuild and export agricultural products back to Europe under contract for a guaranteed price."

"And you own the company outright, which means that all of the profit they make is yours."
So the people who technically work for OL's company see him as their super rich boss who's using his company to make the world a better place first and a superhero second?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back