• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

If it makes you feel better, in Young Justice, apparently "homo magi" are just metas whose metagene superpower is being superhumanly good at using magic.

Which actually has some support in the comics.

When Invasion! happened, and the gene bomb went off, the superheroes who were affected included Dr Fate.

Plus the explicit existence of magical metahumans in DC, such as the Texan street gang the Posse, who all had inherited latent magical superpowers which were activated when Spectre killed all those Lords of Order and Chaos. They showed up in Blue Beetle, they thought he might be a fellow magical metahuman whose power involved cosplaying as Guyver.

I know about the Posse and about it being a thing in the comics. I just find it as annoying as 'actually the Greek Gods are aliens from another dimension' stuff. Plus it also gets weird when you remember that on Earth 16, there are Martians with magical abilities.

I know about the Posse and about it being a thing in the comics. I just find it as annoying as 'actually the Greek Gods are aliens from another dimension' stuff. Plus it also gets weird when you remember that on Earth 16, there are Martians with magical abilities.

Homo Magi being better at magic ≠ Other people can't use magic.

Aquaman is superhumanly good at swimming, Flash is superhumanly good at running. Doesn't mean that others can't swim or run.

Homo Magi being better at magic ≠ Other people can't use magic.

Aquaman is superhumanly good at swimming, Flash is superhumanly good at running. Doesn't mean that others can't swim or run.

I got the impression from s4 that all magic users are Homo Magi? But I get your point given the Marvel family

I got the impression from s4 that all magic users are Homo Magi? But I get your point given the Marvel family

Not unless the writers changed their minds.

Kes writes...

Hi!
I have a few Young Justice questions about magic. First, is magical affinity in their world partly genetic? (Zatanna shares her father's powers, and many Atlanteans have magical skill.) Or does it have more to do with teaching and personality (Kent Nelson told Nabu that Wally's soul belonged to science)? Could a lone student with a spellbook learn, or does it take more than that?
Last, I absolutely loved Zatanna changing her boots to a more practical version in "Secrets"! More battle-practical female attire, please!
Greg responds...

1. It helps.
2. Certain individuals may have more of an affinity for magic than others.
3. Potentially. Doesn't mean they'll be good at it.
4. Thanks; we agree.

Tower Offence (part 4)
8th November 2012
19:11 GMT +3?

"Is that-?"

I shoot Alan a glare as he slows down for a step. "Irrelevant!"

And credit to him, that half-step is the only one he misses. "Because we get out like this, or we don't get out."

My eyes flick down for an instant before returning to the curving path ahead. Sanderson is flickering, which hopefully means that we're leaving soon.

"If you've got an idea, pipe up. Just don't stop running."

"When we get back, I need to hit the gym."

"No, you don't. Your body is a manifestation of the blue light as much-." Ah, there's that first lick of lactic acid. "As much as it is flesh. Don't use your ring here."

"Okay." He's breathing a little heavier than I am, but I think he's okay at the moment. "What happens?"

"It messes Sanderson up." Who's still flickering. "Not sure how badly, but last resort."

"Got it."

Two loops left, then a straight. I don't think that the mist is getting closer, so this might just mean that we're getting low on gourd dream power.

"Constantine in the boat?"

"Awkward to put him there."

"Okay with the-. The weight."

"For now."

"Then we're-. Fighting.. Fate."

"Yeah, but we'll both be able to use our rings then."

"Unless he catches us outside."

"Short fight if he does."

"You're just filled with-. Positivity, aren't you?"

I frown. "Yes? It would be the easiest place for us to throw him into-."

"We're taking him alive, Paul."

"Sure, if reasonably practical. We're just… Forcing entry in case our worst fears are realised. He might just fold."

"Or have a good explanation."

I nod, taking a moment to regularise my breathing as we get back onto the straight. Okay, now we're doing the course backwards and it looks like… There was a wall-mounted sideways section. Timing is going to be tricky, and Sanderson is still shimmering, but I'm not-.

The Demon jerks on my shoulders. "I'm out."

"What?"

"The gourds. I'm-."

"How long?"

"Doesn't matter. I can't create more stability."

"Work the ropes, take our dreams. If we keep acting within the rules of this dream, it should-."

"Wrong ropes, and we're in a storm. It'll decay on us."

Ah. Yes, I can see the pink mists flowing in now, chunks of the track falling away and vanishing as individual trails rush ahead of the wave front.

"Ideas?"

"Bit late in the-."

"I got it!" Sanderson's head shoots up as his shimmering stops. "Keep running!"

"Suuuure?"

"Two jumps! You can do this!"

Alan nods. "We need to-."

"Synchronise. On my count, every other step. One, two, three, four." We both alter our pace slightly, trying to get into rhythm. "One, two, three, four, one, two three, four."

My legs are longer than his, but that's about as close as we're going to get. Jump's coming up.

"Jump on ten, not on eleven. One, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight,-"

The pink mist eats the wall holding up the ramp. Fuck it.

"-nine, jump!"

We jump, sailing unrealistically through the air with The Demon on my back and Sanderson in the boat. Sanderson yanks, tilting the boat just enough that we match angle with the wall jump as it starts to drift in the storm. Run, run, we've got about five seconds before we run into oblivion but there's nothing else to-.

Sanderson stands, pulls off his mask and hurls it ahead of us!

"Jump!"

Alan and I respond simultaneously, just as the ramp dissolves into the storm beneath us. I guess the bit of air we're in still exists-.

Something's glittering in the air in front of us, following the wake of Sanderson's mask. Sand? O-kay, I'm not going to question it, but there's still-.

"Mist!"

I turn left and see him standing on a hoarding, pink mist momentarily obscuring him from us. How immortal is he? I'm not hopeful, but it's possible that-.

Sanderson tears off his coat and throws it, the garment swinging through the air, hitting the mist, and-. It falls apart, but more glittering sand appears and the mist falls back. Dr. Balewa spots his opportunity, aims and then leaps, hurtling through the void and slamming into Alan's side!

"Oof."

"Your pardon." He untangles himself and takes position just ahead of Alan. "Demon, Orange Lantern's side. Prepare to run."

"Chance 'd be a fine-"

Far in the distance, pink mist pulls back and I can see the outline of a tower!

"-thing well fuck me."

The glimmering sand precipitates out of the 'air' before us, forming a path. The Demon moves quickly to get off me, getting his feet into position exactly as I feel a surface under my feet.

And we're running and we're running and we're out!

OOF!

And that's a wall.

Last edited:
8th November 2012
19:11 GMT +3?

"Is that-?"

I shoot Alan a glare as he slows down for a step. "Irrelevant!"
Talk about being run off your feet. But given the consequences for stopping, I can understand OL being a bit single-minded about staying on the hop. Though his legs have got to be burning by now.

And credit to him, that half-step is the only one he misses. "Because we get out like this, or we don't get out."

My eyes flick down for an instant before returning to the curving path ahead. Sanderson is flickering, which hopefully means that we're leaving soon.
Anytime soon, sandy-shorts. Clock's ticking away and things are getting tense.

"If you've got an idea, pipe up. Just don't stop running."

Bah! You have a ring of healing. You should already be in the best shape of your life, if you just hope to be.

"No, you don't. Your body is a manifestation of the blue light as much-." Ah, there's that first lick of lactic acid. "As much as it is flesh. Don'tyou're your ring here."

"Okay." He's breathing a little heavier than I am, but I think he's okay at the moment. "What happens?"
A killer migraine, at the very least. Oh, not for you. But if Sanderson there loses focus, then you all die.

"It messes Sanderson up." Who's still flickering. "Not sure how badly, but last resort."

"Got it."
Let's hope things like physics and Spectrum energies are a little more conventional once they reach the Tower.

Two loops left, then a straight. I don't think that the mist is getting closer, so this might just mean that we're getting low on gourd dream power.

"Constantine in the boat?"
Let's hope you don't run out of gas before you get to the end of the track... That would be an embarrassing way to end things.

"Awkward to put him there."

"Okay with the-. The weight."

"For now."
Besides, the Demon's skinny. He's just awkward.

"Then we're-. Fighting.. Fate."

"Yeah, but we'll both be able to use our rings then."
Fighting a Wizard on their home turf, with a good chance he knows you're coming. Probably a good thing he's nominally good at heart, or you'd be Scry-and-die'd before you even got underway.

"Unless he catches us outside."

"Short fight if he does."
Confidence! Good. Don't lose that focus.

"You're just filled with-. Positivity, aren't you?"

I frown. "Yes? It would be the easiest place for us to throw him into-."
The same place Nabu threw his captives? I wonder if we'll get to see them again this episode...

"We're taking him alive, Paul."

"Sure, if reasonably practical. We're just… Forcing entry in case our worst fears are realised. He might just fold."
Let's just hope his inner Constantine doesn't come to the fore.

"Or have a good explanation."

I nod, taking a moment to regularise my breathing as we get back onto the straight. Okay, now we're doing the course backwards and it looks like… There was a wall-mounted sideways section. Timing is going to be tricky, and Sanderson is still shimmering, but I'm not-.
Oh, great. The sign of a developer pressed for time: Reverse runs.

The Demon jerks on my shoulders. "I'm out."

"What?"
This is not the time to be jumping ship! Especially since you're not in the boat yet.

"The gourds. I'm-."

"How long?"
...And they just ran out of gas. Any oily rags handy? :p

"Doesn't matter. I can't create more stability."

"Work the ropes, take our dreams. If we keep acting within the rules of this dream, it should-."
Really stretching it, OL. There's pushing your luck, and then there's desperate.

"Wrong ropes, and we're in a storm. It'll decay on us."

Ah. Yes, I can see the pinks mists flowing in now, chunks of the track falling away and vanishing as individual trails rush ahead of the wave front.
Any time, Sandy!

"Ideas?"

"Bit late in the-."

"I got it!" Sanderson's head shoots up as his shimmering stops. "Keep running!"
Oh, thank you! You heard the men, fellas. Leggit!

"Suuuure?"

"Two jumps! You can do this!"
...This is going to be awkward as hell.

Alan nods. "We need to-."

"Synchronise. On my count, every other step. One, two, three, four." We both alter our pace slightly, trying to get into rhythm. "One, two, three, four, one, two three, four."
This is one of those times when you'd wish you were playing an RPG with fate points, to guarantee those perfect rolls.

My legs are longer than his, but that's about as close as we're going to get. Jump's coming up.

"Jump on ten, not on eleven. One, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight,-"
At least no-one's arguing...

The pink mist eats the wall holding up the ramp. Fuck it.

"-nine, jump!"
Let the narrative power flow through you, OL. Believe!

We jump, sailing unrealistically through the air with The Demon on my back and Sanderson in the boat. Sanderson yanks, tilting the boat just enough that we match angle with the wall jump as it starts to drift in the storm. Run, run, we've got about five seconds before we run into oblivion but there's nothing else to-.

Sanderson stands, pulls off his mask and hurls it ahead of us!
Interesting. Channelling energy via the mask to help stabilise things?

"Jump!"

Alan and I respond simultaneously, just as the ramp dissolves into the storm beneath us. I guess the bit of air we're in still exists-.
Toon laws of physics, boys. Keep running and don't look down!

Something's glittering in the air in front of us, following the wake of Sanderson's mask. Sand? O-kay, I'm not going to question it, but there's still-.

"Mist!"
Yes, we know, that's what you're trying to avoid...

I turn left and see him standing on a hoarding, pink mist momentarily obscuring him from us. How immortal is he? I'm not hopeful, but it's possible that-.

Sanderson tears off his coat and throws it, the garment swinging through the air, hitting the mist, and-. It falls apart, but more glittering sand appears and the mist falls back. Dr. Balewa spots his opportunity, aims and then leaps, hurtling through the void to hit into Alan's side!
:confused: ...Oh, right. Wondered where he'd gotten off to.

"Oof."

"Your pardon." He untangles himself and takes position just ahead of Alan. "Demon, Orange Lantern's side. Prepare to run."
Getting down'll be a bit awkward, mind.

"Chance 'd be a fine-"

Far in the distance, pink mist peels back pulls back and I can see the outline of a tower!
Oh, hell yeah! Just watch out for that last Blue Shell!

"-thing well fuck me."

The glimmering sand precipitates out of the 'air' before us, forming a path. The Demon moves quickly to get off me, getting his feet into position exactly as I feel a surface under my feet.

And we're running and we're running and we're out!
And the race is over! Take five, boys, you earned it. Smoke 'em if you got 'em...

OOF!

And that's a wall.
...Ow.

All right! They've reached the tower! ...Now what? I suppose once they catch their breath, Doctor Mist'll be giving the front door a poke to see if he can pick the lock, eh? Since they can't reasonably go using the doorbell. Let's just hope his home security isn't too aggressive in its' response. ...Wonder if it's still running that personality emulation of Kent Nelson? :sneaky:

"No, you don't. Your body is a manifestation of the blue light as much-." Ah, there's that first lick of lactic acid. "As much as it is flesh. Don't use your ring here."
Does this mean Alan can make himself fitter by just concentrating?

Though now I have the funny idea of Alan hoping for a more fit body and ending up looking like a twenty something Olympic athlete.
alan03.jpg

What comic is this from?

I have no idea where the picture is from, but Alan woke up young again in Green Lantern Corps Quarterly number 5, in 93.

I misremembered it. I thought he regained his youth when he absorbed the Starheart and became Sentinel, but his return to youth actually predates that transformation.

I guess the Starheart was afraid he'd croak on him before he could get free and claim the universe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back