• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

alan03.jpg
Well I'm sure Hinon would love to... study... such a change brought about by Alan being a Hope elemental.

Quick question: Whatever happened to the demonically corrupted Dr. Fate that Paul wound up dealing with, I know he left him with Dr. Mist after helping the civilians who got tricked into wearing him, didn't he used his ability to assimilate and turn him into a construct or am I misremembering things.

Even if that version of Nabu is corrupted it could have helped in finding a way into the Tower without getting caught by Quinn.

Also is the Nabu of this fic a child of Vandal Savage like in canon?

Black Arrow (part 1)
Universe 191
22nd January 1945
08:43 GMT

Far below me, the broken remains of the Royal Navy limp back towards their home ports. I suspect that the older vessels will be broken up for parts. The rest might be as well, depending on how the final treaty negotiations go. I still don't really understand how this version of Britain ended up so far behind in radar technology given that we were leaders in the field in my timeline, but from what I've heard they genuinely had no idea how the vessels of the United States navy were finding their ships for months.

Though compared to all of the other things wrong with this world, who has better radar doesn't really rate.

The Confederates States of America existed until last year, and went from enslaving their black people to gassing them en masse. The Russian Empire's government is in a state of flux, France is semi-officially a puppet of the German Empire, which is frankly better than they deserve for what they did to their minorities.

If Britain had joined them in that behaviour I'd be heading to Australia to help them against the Japanese instead. As it is, I was forced to intervene to stop the German Empire dropping nuclear bombs on London and Brighton until even the characteristically bullish Winston Churchill was forced to acknowledge the international situation and sue for peace.

I am not happy with their choice of allies, but when you get right down to it… It's still my country.

My burden and I transition downwards, well inside the security cordon around Chequers and into the immediate presence of most of the British Cabinet.

"Gentlemen."

I give them a moment to stop soiling themselves, ignore the exclamations of surprise and profanity, and after a few seconds the demands of the bodyguards and soldiers that I lay on the ground.

I glare at Detective Inspector Thompson over the barrel of his revolver.

"I just demonstrated the ability to teleport. What exactly do you think your potato gun is going to do?"

"Good-! God!" One of the more intelligent apparatchiks is staring at the large metal ovoids I brought with me. "Those are-!" He turns to look at Prime Minister Horace Wilson. "Those are German superbombs!"

For some reason, rather than the snappy name 'nuclear bomb' or the technically accurate name 'fission bomb', here they're called 'superbombs'. And 'tanks' are called 'barrels', which sort of makes sense, and jet engines are called turbo engines, which doesn't.

"Those are the German superbombs that were heading for London and Brighton. Look grateful."

I retract the flight aura around them, causing them to fall to the ground and embed themselves in the lawn.

"I disarmed them, but they're otherwise quite functional."

A number of the men around me start to edge away, though I'm not sure exactly how they're planning on getting to the minimum safe distance. Soldiers start getting closer, though it looks like whoever's supposed to be organising them isn't physically present.

"Hm." Winston Churchill walks up to one and raps the knuckles of his right hand against the metal. "Thought they'd be bigger."

"If you'd been fighting the Kaiser's father, it probably would have been." My right hand shimmers as I take a small bottle of pills out of subspace. "A present for you." I toss it to him, and he catches it with the assurance of a man who spent a good deal of his youth playing cricket. "One a month should be enough to kill your black dog, though you shouldn't drive or operate heavy machinery for a few hours after taking one."

He looks into the bottle for a moment, then returns his attention to me, actually walking closer and sizing me up.

"Do you want something, young man?"

"Britain lost its empire -and Ireland- at the end of the first War. In a vainglorious attempt to get it back, you sided with people who thought that gassing sizeable parts of their own population was… Something other than totally monstrous. And now the country has no friends and an awful lot of dead young men. So what next?"

I transition next to him and put my right arm around his shoulders.

"Smile. I'm here to help."

I'm not sure if he's taking it in his stride or just too depressed to care. "Myes? How so?"

"I've managed to lay my hands on samples of technology about… Let's call it a hundred and fifty years, in advance of anything on Earth. Quite a lot of samples. And I'm willing to… Not so much 'share' as 'hand it over'. You don't have any oil any more? Don't worry, it all runs on hydrogen. Short of raw materials? Don't worry, I have spaceships. It is my desire and intent to use the opportunity caused by this destruction to build the country into something better than it's been before. Better than anything on the planet, in point of fact."

"Did you acquire this from some sort of space men?"

"Four foot tall lizard space men, to be precise." I release him and approach the Prime Minister, then look over to a comparatively open area to his right and raise my left hand. "If you gentlemen could make a space?"

The space is made with alacrity.

"This is one of their tanks. Note the general shape of the armour. You can keep it; I've got hundreds of thousands of the things. This is one of their fighters. Note the exterior radar and missiles. You can keep it; I've got hundreds of thousands of the things. I've put about half of the ships I acquired in orbit around Jupiter, the other half will get here in a few decades. I'll take a team of researchers there once you've assembled one."

Mr. Wilson tries to keep his face calm.

"What happened to their owners?"

"They tried to invade my planet and got their just deserts."

"Their government?"

"They tried to have their army invade my planet and got their just deserts. If their species reorganised their government immediately and started rebuilding their military infrastructure immediately after that then they might be able to get another fleet here in eighty years. They won't." He doesn't look reassured. "Have you ever met a lizard you liked?"

"Britain is in no condition to start a war."

"Good. Don't. I don't want Britain expanding at the expense of its neighbours; I want human civilisation in space to be British. You will have multiple new industries to send the demobbed men into, and the asteroid belts have material resources aplenty. There is no practical benefit from picking fights with Germany or America, though you'll find that kinetic harpoons fired from spacecraft are a reasonable strategic counter to enemy nuc-." I wince inwardly. "'Super bombs'."

"We have yet to conclude negotiations with the German Empire concerning reparations."

"Offer whatever cash and demilitarisation they want and refuse anything else. Make sure that you have the option of paying ahead; I'll cover it in gold the moment the ink is dry. Don't worry about territory: you don't need the Channel Islands when you're getting Mars."

He looks like I'm going too fast for him, which is entirely deliberate. But you don't get this far in politics by being a complete dullard.

"And, what do you want?"

"I want you all to buck your ideas up. I can accept that you didn't know exactly what your allies were doing but that sort of thing stops now. Strategic partnerships with evildoers are useful in the short term but always come back to bite you in the arse. If you couldn't explain it to St. Peter then don't do it."

He nods, slowly. "I think that we can reach an agreement. Would you like to come inside so that we can discuss your proposal in more detail?"

Last edited:
EDIT: On a side note, like everyone else, I've been playing a lot of Elden Ring. How would a Orange Lantern Paul variant make that situation work?

Depending on how big Elden Ring's stars actually are? He doesn't. Rhadon, assuming a universe that operates like ours, was holding stars that were up to 16,000 light years away still while being eaten alive and driven insane by a virus. That doesn't get into things like Ancient Dragons being at least 4D entities who exist outside of standard time and all the other magical nonsense that goes on.

There are at least 5 Outer Gods doing who knows what in The Lands Between, and basically all of them are some level of asshole.

Man, turtledove really had it out for the Brits. No explosive metal bombs, no superbombs, and allying wirh the csa.
No, they got superbombs, but they were only able to make two. One destroyed Hamburg and the second was shot down in transit.
That's the Worldwar series, innit? But I don't remember America and the rest becoming evil? Did you mix it with something else?
Southern Victory x Worldwar.

He doesn't. Rhadon, assuming a universe that operates like ours, was holding stars that were up to 16,000 light years away still while being eaten alive and driven insane by a virus.
And Rhadon was still put down by the MC Tarnished, so what's that point?

Personally for a power ring Paul, Ranni's Age of Stars ending speaks to me because it turns away from twisting back into centering around a new Order or the Erdtree. Plus offering Ranni a new power ring built body or somehow reaching Rennala through some kind of avarice desire adjustment maybe could be something.

Is this Future Paul, or another alternate version?
And if it's a alt, how does he recharge? I've never read Turtledove, but I doubt that these aliens had a Emotional Spectrum compatible technology lying about. Still possible, of course.

Btw, I've been living the recent chapters. Thanks again!

And Rhadon was still put down by the MC Tarnished, so what's that point.

A Tarnished, who is all but totally immortal and depending on which reading of the lore you go with, is actively being helped by at least one of those aforementioned Outer Gods. Paul has a fancy ring, basically no way to charge it without a whole hell of a lot of research, and one life unless he gives himself over to someone like Godwyn or The Greater Will decides he's cool.

And the point is that a non-mainline comics level, beginner Lantern, would get absolutely stomped if they tried going after anything big because Elden Ring is a high fantasy setting operating off of Shounen JRPG mechanics which let you kill god.

Alternate version. Note the lack of coloured speech marks.

And if it's a alt, how does he recharge? I've never read Turtledove, but I doubt that these aliens had a Emotional Spectrum compatible technology lying about. Still possible, of course.

Seconded. Can we at least get the cliff notes on what happened to this version of Paul for him to have the resources of an alien species he's already eradicated?

Why is this called Black Arrow?

Universe 191
22nd January 1945
08:43 GMT
Interesting. A pretty major sidestep from regular history. And one written by the more-or-less acknowledged master of alternate history fiction? Good taste. It'd be interesting to see if there are any superheroes developing in this world...

Far below me, the broken remains of the Royal Navy limp back towards their home ports. I suspect that the older vessels will be broken up for parts. The rest might be as well, depending on how the final treaty negotiations go. I still don't really understand how this version of Britain ended up so far behind in radar technology given that we were leaders in the field in my timeline, but from what I've heard they genuinely had no idea how the vessels of the United States navy were finding their ships for months.
Maybe the people responsible went into different fields in this timeline? Nearly a century of variant history can make for some Mothra-sized butterflies.

Though compared to all of the other things wrong with this world, who has better radar doesn't really rate.

The Confederates States of America existed until last year, and went from enslaving their black people to gassing them en masse. The Russian Empire's government is in a state of flux, France is semi-officially a puppet of the German Empire, which is frankly better than they deserve for what they did to their minorities.
Sounds like they all need a sensible kick in the pants.

If Britain had joined them in that behaviour I'd be heading to Australia to help them against the Japanese instead. As it is, I was forced to intervene to stop the German Empire dropping nuclear bombs on London and Brighton until even the characteristically bullish Winston Churchill was forced to acknowledge the international situation and sue for peace.

I am not happy with their choice of allies, but when you get right down to it… It's still my country.
So, hows this Paul charging his ring? Did a certain Lantern happen to be still sitting undiscovered in China, perhaps?

My burden and I transition downwards, well inside the security cordon around Chequers and into the immediate presence of most of the British Cabinet.

"Gentlemen."
And if this world has no superheroes, this will seem more like a divine visitation than anything.

I give them a moment to stop soiling themselves, ignore the exclamations of surprise and profanity, and after a few seconds the demands of the bodyguards and soldiers that I lay on the ground.

I glare at Detective Inspector Thompson over the barrel of his revolver.
Bullets. How primitive.

"I just demonstrated the ability to teleport. What exactly do you think your potato gun is going to do?"

"Good-! God!" One of the more intelligent apparatchiks is staring at the large metal ovoids I brought with me. "Those are-!" He turns to look at Prime Minister Horace Wilson. "Those are German superbombs!"
Well, that's a fine escalation compared to the Battle of Britain.

For some reason, rather than the snappy name 'nuclear bomb' or the technically accurate name 'fusion bomb', here they're called 'superbombs'. And 'tanks' are called 'barrels', which sort of makes sense, and jet engines are called turbo engines, which doesn't.

"Those are the German superbombs that were heading for London and Brighton. Look grateful."
Because different terminaology makes it feel like a different world. And to be fair, 'Tanks' are only called that because of a wartime security protocol.

I retract the flight aura around them, causing them to fall to the ground and embed themselves in the lawn.

"I disarmed them, but they're otherwise quite functional."
And if they're smart, they can use the samples to make their own... Though getting fissile material might be tricky.
EDIT: Okay, they already know how to build them. But the extra material can't hurt, can it?

A number of the men around me start to edge away, though I'm not sure exactly how they're planning on getting to the minimum safe distance. Soldiers start getting closer, though it looks like whoever's supposed to be organising them isn't physically present.

"Hm." Winston Churchill walks up to one and raps the knuckles of his right hand against the metal. "Thought they'd be bigger."
Ooof, talk about dark moods. Something the real life man did suffer from...

"If you'd been fighting the Kaiser's father, it probably would have been." My right hand shimmers as I take a small bottle of pills out of subspace. "A present for you." I toss it to him, and he catches it with the assurance of a man who spent a good deal of his youth playing cricket. "One a month should be enough to kill your black dog, though you shouldn't drive or operate heavy machinery for a few hours after taking one."

He looks into the bottle for a moment, then returns his attention to me, actually walking closer and sizing me up.
Heh. Better living through chemistry. Presumably once he's got some in his system, we'd see some actual colour in that soul.

"Do you want something, young man?"

"Britain lost its empire -and Ireland- at the end of the first War. In a vainglorious attempt to get it back, you sided with people who thought that gassing sizeable parts of their own population was… Something other than totally monstrous. And now the country has no friends and an awful lot of dead young men. So what next?"
And I'm guessing you have ideas, Paul?

I transition next to him and put my right arm around his shoulders.

"Smile. I'm here to help."

I'm not sure if he's taking it in his stride or just too depressed to care. "Myes? How so?"
Also, nice flex on the actual Prime Minister. Just ignoring him in favour of, what I presume is, the leader of the opposition, if that?
Edit: Ah, just a member, then. And not especially rude in his approach. Just blunt.

"I've managed to lay my hands on samples of technology about… Let's call it a hundred and fifty years, in advance of anything on Earth. Quite a lot of samples. And I'm willing to… Not so much 'share' as 'hand it over'. You don't have any oil any more? Don't worry, it all runs on hydrogen. Short of raw materials? Don't worry, I have spaceships. It is my desire and intent to use the opportunity caused by this destruction to build the country into something better than it's been before. Better than anything on the planet, in point of fact."
...So, going to haul them into the Space Age by the scruffs of their necks, whether they like it or not, eh? Bold. I like it!

"Did you acquire this from some sort of space men?"

"Four foot tall lizard space men, to be precise." I release him and approach the Prime Minister, then look over to a comparatively open area to his right and raise my left hand. "If you gentlemen could make a space?"
At this point, you could ask one of the more handsome gents to give you a blowjob, and they'd do it... Mostly out of fear, but hey.

The space is made with alacrity.

"This is one of their tanks. Note the general shape of the armour. You can keep it; I've got hundreds of thousands of the things. This is one of their fighters. Note the exterior radar and missiles. You can keep it; I've got hundreds of thousands of the things. I've put about half of the ships I acquired in orbit around Jupiter, the other half will get here in a few decades. I'll take a team of researchers there once you've assembled one."
In other words: Show me you can do it yourself, and I'll give you a boost to the next step up.

Mr. Wilson tries to keep his face calm.

"What happened to their owners?"
...Nothing pleasant, I imagine.

"They tried to invade my planet and got their just deserts."

"Their government?"
Ooh, showing a bit of classic Orange Lantern mood there, Paul? Your planet. And given a Power Ring, you could make that true easily enough.

"They tried to have their army invade my planet and got their just deserts. If their species reorganised their government immediately and started rebuilding their military infrastructure immediately after that then they might be able to get another fleet here in eighty years. They won't." He doesn't look reassured. "Have you ever met a lizard you liked?"

"Britain is in no condition to start a war."
Oh, he's not asking you to start a war. Why worry about one patch of Earth when you can own the rest of the solar system?

"Good. Don't. I don't want Britain expanding at the expense of its neighbours, I want human civilisation in space to be British. You will have multiple new industries to send the demobbed men into, and the asteroid belts have material resources aplenty. There is no practical benefit from picking fights with Germany or America, though you'll find that kinetic harpoons fired from spacecraft are a reasonable strategic counter to enemy nuc-." I wince inwardly. "'Super bombs'."
And suddenly, I'm having images of Dan Dare flashing through my head.

"We have yet to conclude negotiations with the German Empire concerning reparations."

"Offer whatever cash and demilitarisation they want and refuse anything else. Make sure that you have the option of paying ahead; I'll cover it in gold the moment the ink is dry. Don't worry about territory: you don't need the Channel Islands when you're getting Mars."
Screw the rules, I have asteroids made of money!

He looks like I'm going to fast for him, which is entirely deliberate. But you don't get this far in politics by being a complete dullard.

"And, what do you want?"
Ah, see, there's a clever fellow. Go along and you could be remembered as the greatest PM ever.

"I want you all to buck your ideas up. I can accept that you didn't know exactly what your allies were doing but that sort of thing stops now. Strategic partnerships with evildoers are useful in the sort term but always come back to bite you in the arse. If you couldn't explain it to St. Peter then don't do it."

He nods, slowly. "I think that we can reach an agreement. Would you like to come inside so that we can discuss your proposal in more detail?"
Smart man. Whether he can be held to that, will be seen in time...

So, that was quite the change of tone. Admit it, wouldn't you want to do something like that if you had a Power Ring and a shithole of a planet to deal with? Seriously, this would be an interesting alternate to follow later. Would the British government keep to their agreement, which I doubt they'd refuse, down the line someday? How would the rest of the planet take to learning that a spaceman gave Britain the stars? What happens when the Race send their next wave? So many questions...

He looks like I'm going to fast for him, which is entirely deliberate.
He looks like I'm going too fast for him, which is entirely deliberate.
Strategic partnerships with evildoers are useful in the sort term...
Strategic partnerships with evildoers are useful in the short term...

Good chance that this timeline still has some DC chunks floating around, maybe, and that this Orange Lantern had the idea to go looking for a Maltusian power source on Earth?

:eek:...You've been sprinting through an imaginary dreamworld that wants to eat you too? What kind of life are you living? :p

Last edited:
Wait, which planet did the race invade that belonged to Paul?

Why is this called Black Arrow?
Who are you, who do not know your history?.
Seconded. Can we at least get the cliff notes on what happened to this version of Paul for him to have the resources of an alien species he's already eradicated?
Yes.
So, hows this Paul charging his ring? Did a certain Lantern happen to be still sitting undiscovered in China, perhaps?
Something like that.
And if they're smart, they can use the samples to make their own... Though getting fissile material might be tricky.
They already know how to do that.
Also, nice flex on the actual Prime Minister. Just ignoring him in favour of, what I presume is, the leader of the opposition, if that?
No. In the war, Britain had a unity government with members of all parties taking part. Talking to the head of the Opposition would just mean talking to a Minister. And in any case the new Prime Minister is a Conservative.
And suddenly, I'm having images of Dan Dare flashing through my head.
Probably more Ministry of Space.
He looks like I'm going too fast for him, which is entirely deliberate.
Strategic partnerships with evildoers are useful in the short term...
Thank you, corrected.
Though it's not totally impossible.
I don't know. People's mental abilities usually decline as they get older and of course some people are born into positions of power, but actually getting there? I think it is.
Wait, which planet did the race invade that belonged to Paul?
Earth.
Did he give Churchill antidepressants?
Technically, yes. Just psycociblin based rather than the more common in modern days stuff.

And Rhadon was still put down by the MC Tarnished, so what's that point?

Personally for a power ring Paul, Ranni's Age of Stars ending speaks to me because it turns away from twisting back into centering around a new Order or the Erdtree. Plus offering Ranni a new power ring built body or somehow reaching Rennala through some kind of avarice desire adjustment maybe could be something.
Bad take imo.

Radahn was not only weakened to an incredible extent by the Scarlet Rot, an eldritch disease backed by the Outer God of Rot itself, delivered by Malena who was and is an Emperyan that had eaten away at his sanity over the course of a shit ton of time, but he was simultaneously throughout the battle still managing to hold back the very stars themselves while sniping you from across the map with super, siege weapon style javelins for arrows. And shattering the ground with the strikes from his sword. And so on and so on.

The Tarnished did not beat Radahn. They beat a broken, withered out husk who still had enough raw power to halt the very flow of fate and maintain his grasp over the stars through his still instinctively held mastery of sorcery. Who still kicked the shit out of most players and had a mass summoning mechanic behind it to even out the fight before he was nerfed.

And if taken anywhere near seriously, like all Fromsoft games, if you actually think about and mechanically measure the feats of the characters within, they are even more impressive. The Starscourge was considered the mightiest of the Demigods for a reason, and that includes even when factoring in the Emperyans a la Malena and Miquella.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back