• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Hasn't the MC been cut off from his subspace more than once? Why hasn't he incorporated more of his arsenal into his armor and on his person?
Space limits. By the time you include everything you need in your armour, it isn't armour so much as a spaceship. And now you need smaller armour in case of boarding parties.

Mr Zoat What is the SI's armour made of? I would normally assume that he would have had it made from the best posable martials, maybe the same martials that Diana uses. But considering how frequently he has it damaged in fights I asume he uses more mundane martials. If so, how come?

Mr Zoat What is the SI's armour made of? I would normally assume that he would have had it made from the best possible materials, maybe the same materials that Diana uses. But considering how frequently he has it damaged in fights I assume he uses more mundane materials. If so, how come?
Highly advanced non-magical materials. It's designed to spend its time in subspace until he needs it.

"My purple healing ray is in subspace."
I hope OL takes this as a teachable moment, and from now on makes sure some version of the healing ray (reversible switch or not, inbuilt into his armor or not) becomes part of his 'real space' load out.

Also, remember the original Robo Cop scene, where Murphy's gun was holstered inside his leg, but still accessible?
Having a side arm inside his armor sounds a bit self defeating. Especially since I remember OL mentioning his usual armor doesn't have normal seams for putting on and taking off; it was made to be taken on and off by shunting it through subspace.

EDIT to add:
Space limits. By the time you include everything you need in your armour, it isn't armour so much as a spaceship. And now you need smaller armour in case of boarding parties.
Both OL and Renegade are forks of the same person.
Any reason OL hasn't thought of stealthed drones as a to have more options without making the armor to large to go through doors?

Have a stockpile of nonmagical drones stored in subspace, a couple of which automatically get taken out when transitioning to a new scene.

Also, omitting the healing ray just seems dumb, on account of if being cut off from subspace becomes an issue, things have likely gone south, and the ability to heal would be a priority.

Last edited:
Every system added to the armour requires either the armour to be made bigger or something else to be taken out. The armour is there to tank a very limited number of attacks that bypass rings but not force fields or armour, and protect him while he retreats. It isn't supposed to be a general purpose combat rig, and isn't. The SI can't use Apokoliptian technology due to a) not having access to it and b) not being a New God.

Paul needs to do what Ironman does and build multiple suite for specific occasions while making his standby suit as modular as possible, so he equipped to do handle most situations he usually relies on his ring to handle, or just wear more rings in order to increase his battery capacity so the cost of subspace doesn't hamper his overall effectiveness. Maybe after dealing with this situation, not to mention see how things are on Earth-666 going to tell that version of Supergirl before taking her home, Paul should look into OMAC tech which Lex has been researching and combining it with Martian bio-tech so he has an armor that is similar to the Extremis or Endo-Sym armor.

Or finally capture an Reach scarab for his own use or for the Controllers and other researchers to study and build their own version, plus while Grayven has a sparky Sinestro AI imagine Paul dealing with his own version of Khaji Da.

Eh, I dunno. Putting all of his researchers' projects on hold just so he can mantain various metamagical armors and suits doesn't seem like it's that worth it when he's a Lantern. His ring has been toggled off what, four times in the whole story? It's a very minor nuisance at best and not worth the resource expenditure of becoming Ironman.

Is there any space compression technology?
Or portals?
Or non-ring subspace?

The ideal would be to see if Green Arrow can come up with a purple healing ray arrow, or hand over one to one of his allies whenever he's on a mission. Why make one person the pack mule for all the useful gear when you have other party members?

Actually, now I'm wondering about purple healing ray access for other heroes in general. I know Beauticia was working on making it standard in hospitals, but given the JL sometimes gets called in for natural disasters and certainly gets called into situations with a lot of injured people, I can imagine a couple of them might want to pack a healing ray so some civilians can make it to the hospital.

Oh man, Obsidian. What would be worse, Todd being strapped to a machine or Todd's schizophrenia being taken advantage of?

The ideal would be to see if Green Arrow can come up with a purple healing ray arrow, or hand over one to one of his allies whenever he's on a mission. Why make one person the pack mule for all the useful gear when you have other party members?

Actually, now I'm wondering about purple healing ray access for other heroes in general. I know Beauticia was working on making it standard in hospitals, but given the JL sometimes gets called in for natural disasters and certainly gets called into situations with a lot of injured people, I can imagine a couple of them might want to pack a healing ray so some civilians can make it to the hospital

Flash may be the best for this since he can evacuate people and then heal them.

Last edited:
Or finally capture an Reach scarab for his own use or for the Controllers and other researchers to study and build their own version, plus while Grayven has a sparky Sinestro AI imagine Paul dealing with his own version of Khaji Da.

Strictly speaking if he did a broad scan of Earth he might realize that Ted's got one in cold storage, assuming no anti-scry wards are in place. Other than that though getting access to a Scarab is unlikely given they were all but purpose-built to fight Lanterns and have every countermeasure under the sun The Reach could pack into them to prevent capture.

You accidentally included your response in the quote Darko.

Flash may be the best for this since he can evacuate people and then heal them.

And he can reach people the quickest, making him ideal for emergency healing. Depends on how portable a healing ray is though, since if it's too cumbersome he might only bring it if he's strictly on healing/evac duty.

Strictly speaking if he did a broad scan of Earth he might realize that Ted's got one in cold storage, assuming no anti-scry wards are in place. Other than that though getting access to a Scarab is unlikely given they were all but purpose-built to fight Lanterns and have every countermeasure under the sun The Reach could pack into them to prevent capture.

True. Though I also don't think Paul is really trying that hard to find Earth's scarab, since it probably wouldn't take that much digging for someone to go 'Oh yeah Dan Garret used a scarab to fight crime, never joined the JSA though' and 'Oh the last person with Dan was Ted' and then have Ted go "Oh yeah, Dan gave me his scarab, but since it's alien tech I didn't feel like fusing it to my spine and instead I'm studying it to make inventions like flying solar powered vehicles" The Bug is superior to the Batmobile and deserves more recognition

I'm currently of the theory that Paul feels Earth can handle a scarab well enough right now, and he mentioned looking for Jaime Reyes in a one-off so.

Has everyone stopped to consider that maybe LePaul is just... Bad at designing Power Armor?

but since it's alien tech

In the context of WTR everyone thinks that Scarab is magic instead of sci-fi nanotech. I do agree Paul isn't really looking all that hard for it though, which is fair enough I suppose. It tends to go reasonably well in most continuities, so as long Blue Beatle the third isn't running around yet he's probably got the time to head-off any issues that could crop up.

While he did look for Jaime he accidentally got his name wrong, so he never actually found him.

In the context of WTR everyone thinks that Scarab is magic instead of sci-fi nanotech. I do agree Paul isn't really looking all that hard for it though, which is fair enough I suppose. It tends to go reasonably well in most continuities, so as long Blue Beatle the third isn't running around yet he's probably got the time to head-off any issues that could crop up.

While he did look for Jaime he accidentally got his name wrong, so he never actually found him.

Eh, in YJ canon Ted knew it was alien tech and that's given as the reason he never used the scarab himself. And I misremembered him getting the name wrong, did he do a search for Jamie Reyes or something?

Eh, in YJ canon Ted knew it was alien tech and that's given as the reason he never used the scarab himself. And I misremembered him getting the name wrong, did he do a search for Jamie Reyes or something?

Zoat is apparently went in a different direction, since WTR Ted would have probably happily showed Paul well before now.

Whether you consider this being that storyline butterflied away by Paul's presence on the watsonian level or Zoat making a decision on the Doylist level, well that's up to you.

And yes, apparently Zoat wasn't much of a BB fan because Paul did look for Jamie Reyes.

Zoat is apparently went in a different direction, since WTR Ted would have probably happily showed Paul well before now.

Whether you consider this being that storyline butterflied away by Paul's presence on the watsonian level or Zoat making a decision on the Doylist level, well that's up to you.

And yes, apparently Zoat wasn't much of a BB fan because Paul did look for Jamie Reyes.

Eh, for now I can headcanon that since Ted apparently didn't tell the League in canon, Ted wasn't really telling anyone because it was something Dan entrusted to him and he didn't want to take the risk of having the keepsake of his dead mentor getting used in some high octane adventure.

Lol very much so, every BB fan knows it's Jaime.

Every system added to the armour requires either the armour to be made bigger or something else to be taken out. The armour is there to tank a very limited number of attacks that bypass rings but not force fields or armour, and protect him while he retreats. It isn't supposed to be a general purpose combat rig, and isn't. The SI can't use Apokoliptian technology due to a) not having access to it and b) not being a New God.

So ask Ray Palmer for some help in (temporarily?) miniaturizing stuff: Earth Bullshit(tm) To The Rescue Again!

I imagine the League would corner Atom and go. "Please. Don't make Paul even harder to handle."

Also I do like Paul having limitations.
While I do agree, the entire point of having SI superhero characters is their foreknowledge and ability to make use of it. This extends to the technology available to them. There is no reason he can't try do do this.

I wonder if Paul's suit's scanners (or Paul's ring database once it drains as much power data as it can from dominator computers) will have useful data on replicating Obsidian's powers. Vril Dox II and the controllers would certainly like to know about reproducible anti-glow technology ASAP.

Eh.

They could have been facing the chimerical combination of both twins..
jsa+42+-1.jpg

While I do agree, the entire point of having SI superhero characters is their foreknowledge and ability to make use of it. This extends to the technology available to them. There is no reason he can't try do do this.
Well, yes, but this is a bit silly. Paul is a Lantern SI in a low-powered setting, for goodness sake. He started this story at about 98% power and has no reason to waste resources chasing other less productive power options just so he can become a munchkin's wet dream instead of applying his already cosmic-level powers to better the universe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back