• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

prayers

I don't remember any version of X-Men I watched mentioned his name
Possible corrections, pick the one that carries the right nuance:
"I don't remember if any version of X-Men I watched mentioned his name"
"I don't remember any version of X-Men I watched mentioning his name"
"I don't remember any version of X-Men I watched that mentioned his name"

You've been hyphenating this in previous updates.

Though, rather than beating him, adding him to the churchbells might be an option...
Ah, going from being the beaten to being the beater.

Honestly, the 'Evil Mutants' thing was always a stupid thing, borne of the era's Comics Code. Later incarnations did often drop the 'Evil'... When they were fighting for mutant rights, not simply criminals or led by madmen.

I once read that the name was used because Magneto thought human values were corrupt, so anything they consider evil would be good and hw chose to call his group that to spite humanity.

Another possibility, likely in-universe where Magneto isn't contractually required to twirl his mustache every fifteen minutes, is akin to the one some Transformers continuities use for the origin of the term 'Decepticon' - "They applied the term to us, so we made it our own".

After all, the FoH and others no doubt had plenty of soundbites in which they referred to 'those Evil Mutants'...

There IS that weird virus explanation for mutant hatred.

Most of humanity is infected with a sapient virus, but mutants are immune and this leads to the virus exerting negative feelings towards mutants!
Sublime.

Which is relevant to the version of Paul in Earth's Mightiest Heroes.

That's why I like The Redemption of Althalus. It tells David Eddings' one story in a single book rather than three, meaning you don't need to read the other four times he wrote it.
The solo books about the (very long) lives of Belgarath and Polgara are also quite good. Like the Silmarillion to his main quartet's LotR, but focused on character and what it does to someone to live thousands of years and be the pawn of prophecy.

The best thing to do about Kurt's half-brother is tell his daddy that he has been a VERY naughty boy and needs to have a good long "talk" with his father. Also maybe tell Logan about him.

Mystique asked about Paul's fiscal wealth and personal power before asking about love between him and Rogue. Zoat is implying that that is indicative of her priorities, that she didn't ask about love prior to wealth or power.
I'm not going to touch Zoat's hot take about the necessity of love, tempting though that may be.

It might be that she figures if Paul is determined enough to track herd own her to ask and not respond to her attempt at killing him with violence? That's close enough to love not to bother asking about. Also, given her long and troubled history? She may well think that love is nice but doesn't mean much if you can't support and protect your spouse.

The TV Tropes page puts the Teen Titans universe with the Red Lantern as Earth 32. Looking back through a number of chapters, including the debut chapter, I didn't see that stated, but there is quite a bit of this story and comments.

Was it actually confirmed in any chapter or other posts?
I don't remember the show ever being stated to be an Earth 32, but I might have easily missed that.

The TV Tropes page puts the Teen Titans universe with the Red Lantern as Earth 32. Looking back through a number of chapters, including the debut chapter, I didn't see that stated, but there is quite a bit of this story and comments.

Was it actually confirmed in any chapter or other posts?
I don't remember the show ever being stated to be an Earth 32, but I might have easily missed that.
Mr Zoat made a list of universes and had that world as Earth 32. However, I didn't save the post.

Mr Zoat made a list of universes and had that world as Earth 32. However, I didn't save the post.
Yeah, it's like I said. A story this long with an author that interacts means that there's a lot to dig through, and that's before you factor in it being spread across three sites.

Do you remember what site or thread it might have been in?

Yeah, it's like I said. A story this long with an author that interacts means that there's a lot to dig through, and that's before you factor in it being spread across three sites.

Do you remember what site or thread it might have been in?
It was somewhere on this thread.

prayers
Possible corrections, pick the one that carries the right nuance:
"I don't remember if any version of X-Men I watched mentioned his name"
"I don't remember any version of X-Men I watched mentioning his name"
"I don't remember any version of X-Men I watched that mentioned his name"
You've been hyphenating this in previous updates.
Thank you, corrected.

Meanwhile on Earth 534834 (part 5)
Earth 534834

8th February 1992
08:51 GMT -5

Guide dog sniffing cautiously at me from her position next to Irene Adler's legs, the woman herself faces my general direction with a frown on her forehead.

"I wasn't expecting to speak with you today."

And though I wouldn't be so gauche as to say it, I was expecting someone younger. Though I.. suppose that with her shapeshifting abilities, it's about as hard to guess Ms. Darkhölme's age as it is Logan's.

"Okay? I can leave if you want." I frown. "Ah. Does you not expecting to speak to me mean that I've got some sort of protection against prognostication or does it mean that I've inadvertently broken the universe?"

"I hope that the universe isn't that fragile." She pauses. "But you being here isn't helping. I know that I'm talking to you and I know nothing about this conversation."

I nod sympathetically. "I feel the same way, most of the time."

"Hm." She raises her right hand to her chin. "I heard nothing as you walked up the path. You might have been walking quietly, but I can hear your feet moving now. And you rang the bell. The other possibility is that you flew."

"The second one."

"Are you here to arrest me? My power doesn't lend itself to combat and I'm an old woman. I'd prefer to come quietly rather than be grabbed by a giant robot."

I shake my head. "Those aren't a thing anymore. And I can't arrest you unless I see you committing a crime right in front of me."

"One of Charles' adventurers?"

"One of his students. A.. mature student, obviously."

"Your name?"

The card's no good, because she's blind. I could add the Braille characters to it, but just thrusting something she can't see towards her seems a little rude. "I work under the name 'Orange Lantern'."

She steps back from her door. "You may as well come in. Try not to make too much of a commotion; I'm too old to keep moving every few years."

"Thank you." I frown. "I.. thought that your ability allowed you to walk around?"

She sidesteps around a hall table, a knob-ended cane lying on top of it. I follow her inside and shut the door, her dog coming forward to give me a few sniffs before returning to its mistress's side.

"It usually does. Anywhere where I will walk, I can look a moment or two ahead and use that to navigate. But with you here, I can't, because as far as my power knows there's no chance of this happening."

I nod. "And so no chance that you'll be where you are."

"Not talking to you." She leads the way into the kitchen. "There are any number of things that could cause me to be somewhere else in my own home."

I nod, glancing at the photographs on the wall. Some of a younger Ms. Adler and Ms. Darkhölme, some of other people I don't recognise. The one that draws my attention is a group picture of the two of them with Anne-Marie. Huh. I don't think she has a copy-.

"You've stopped. You're looking at the photograph."

"I was speaking to Ms. Darkhölme a few hours ago."

"Oh? How is she?"

"She was in good health. I think she's up to something evil, so I'm doing a three monkeys impression until it becomes overt." Wait a moment. "Don't you know?"

"I know roughly how well she's likely to be in a variety of situations. It's not the same."

I suppose that makes sense.

Inside the kitchen the dog walks over to its basket and flops down, watching its mistress. Ms. Adler picks up her abandoned mug of tea but leaves the newspaper where it is. Because she doesn't need to read it -she can't- but she can look into any future where she might read it and read it there.

"Well? What brought you here?"

"I read up on your file in Professor Xavier's records. I understand that you were going blind before your ability manifested?"

"That doesn't mean that my precognition didn't cause my blindness, just that it manifested first."

"If you like, I can give you a brain scan more accurate than anything available to human medicine. If it was a side effect or unrelated, it's easy for me to fix."

"Did Charles finally find a mutant healer?"

"Sorry, I don't have an x-gene. And I can only heal certain people. But in your case it's a service I'm happy to provide."

"And why am I part of the elect?"

"I'm Anne-Marie's boyfriend, and I'm here to invite you to our wedding."

I see the tea in her mug shake slightly, so she puts it down on the work surface.

"I didn't see that coming, either."

"No?"

"If anyone, I was expecting Gambit."

I frown. "Really? He didn't seem like the type."

"It wasn't likely. And you invited Raven."

"And Kurt."

"Kurt-? Did you tell Raven you were inviting him?"

"Yes. She didn't really react, but… I suppose that given how long it's been since she had anything to do with him, that.. may just be awkward for her rather than-."

"I wouldn't assume that." She looks thoughtful for a moment. "How long have the two of you been together?"

"About three months. I wanted to.. wait a little longer. She.. emphatically didn't. Um, Professor Xavier managed to transfer Carol Danvers' personality back into her so that's not an issue any more, and when she woke up she didn't seem to really remember Anne-Marie, so we… Probably got away with that."

"It was necessary."

I raise my right index finger. "It was probably necessary. I understand that sometimes you miss consequences."

"That's true." She nods. "And if I can't see you at all, then everything that I thought I knew about her future could be wrong."

"I love the Seldon Plan, and so does my good friend The Mule. But I'm not going to complain because if you hadn't done that I might not have met her. She might have stayed with the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants-."

"It was supposed to be in apostrophes."

"I'm sorry?"

"'Evil Mutants'. A place for those cast out of polite society because they were different and so of course they were evil. Creed took it as a challenge." She shakes her head with a grimace. "I've got no idea what she saw in him."

"Okay, but can you come?"

"Do you have a date?"

"I haven't actually asked her yet. Um. Do you have..? Any advice on..? How to go about that?"

"Oh good grief."

Last edited:
"I love the Seldon Plan, and so does my good friend The Mule. But I'm not going to complain because if you hadn't done that I might not have met her. She might have stayed with the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants-."

"I'm sorry?"

"'Evil Mutants'. A place for those cast out of polite society because they were different and so of course they were evil. Creed took it as a challenge." She shakes her head with a grimace. "I've got no idea what she saw in him."

See, finally someone that views the name the way it should be.

As an incredibly cringe, chunni name someone came up with in their teens because they thought it was cool, and now they can't get rid of. :V

Or as someone making a joke, others appearing to be 100% on board and getting it, until you realise the "joke" part went over everyone's heads and they took it literally.

"Yeah, we're evil!"

"For fucks sake, I was being sarcastic!"

"I love the Seldon Plan, and so does my good friend The Mule.

I actually got that reference, though it is a bit obscure even for people who love Asimov's stories.

FYI, the mule was a mutant with mind reading and mental domination powers who merely by existing disrupted Seldon's plan to restore civilization as quickly as possible after the fall of the previous galactic civilization. Part of The Foundation series of stories.

Last edited:
Earth 534834

8th February 1992
08:51 GMT -5

Guild dog sniffing cautiously at me from her position next to Irene Adler's legs, the woman herself faces my general direction with a frown on her forehead.

"I wasn't expecting to speak with you today."
Ah. Her gift having trouble dealing with his unusual nature, or has she been expecting someone else, I wonder? At any rate, if she wasn't expecting him, then she won't be able to know what he wants, or pull that always-annoying precognitive trick of answering questions you were about to ask...

And though I wouldn't be so gauche as to say it, I was expecting someone younger. Though I.. suppose that with her shapeshifting abilities, it's about as hard to guess Ms. Darkhölme's age as it is Logan's.

"Okay? I can leave if you want." I frown. "Ah. Does you not expecting to speak to me mean that I've got some sort of protection against prognostication or does it mean that I've inadvertently broken the universe?"
I mean, she was born in the late 19th century. And given that mutant aging is inconsistently depicted over the years, this version might well be over a hundred years old... Which makes her original choice of costume (a slinky blue leotard, boots, gloves, hooded cloak and gold mask) a very courageous choice.

"I hope that the universe isn't that fragile." She pauses. "But you being here isn't helping. I know that I'm talking to you and I know nothing about this conversation."

I nod sympathetically. "I feel the same way, most of the time."
True, a lot of Earth-616 metaknowledge is downright useless when applied to the Animated canon. Lots and lots of changes when they adapted stuff. Sometimes streamlining, sometimes... Confusing. Not least because some of the things we know now weren't written back then.

"Hm." She raises her right hand to her chin. "I heard nothing as you walked up the path. You might have been walking quietly, but I can hear your feet moving now. And you rang the bell. The other possibility is that you flew."

"The second one."
Hardly something she's unaccustomed to, though a lot of the mutants she's associated with over the years haven't been fliers...

"Are you here to arrest me? My power doesn't lend itself to combat and I'm an old woman. I'd prefer to come quietly rather than be grabbed by a giant robot."

I shake my head. "Those aren't a thing anymore. And I can't arrest you unless I see you committing a crime right in front of me."
At least she's sanguine about her chances in a fight, and the likelihood of someone wanting her for her talents.

"One of Charles' adventurers?"

"One of his students. A.. mature student, obviously."
No hiding his age here, thank you. It probably helps that a lot of the X-Men are in their twenties, so he wouldn't have felt a need to lie.

"Your name?"

The card's no good, because she's blind. I could add the Braille characters to it, but just thrusting something she can't see towards her seems a little rude. "I work under the name 'Orange Lantern'."
Heh. This must be a complete surprise to her, then.

She steps back from her door. "You may as well come in. Try not to make too much of a commotion; I'm too old to keep moving every few years."

"Thank you." I frown. "I.. thought that your ability allowed you to walk around?"
Though I suspect that application is a case of 'which direction will I not bang my shins into something?' :p

She sidesteps around a hall table, a knob-ended cane lying on top of it. I follow her inside and shut the door, her dog coming forward to give me a few sniffs before returning to its mistress's side.

"It usually does. Anywhere where I will walk, I can look a moment or two ahead and use that to navigate. But with you here, I can't, because as far as my power knows there's no chance of this happening."
Interesting. He's a complete blind-spot in her future-vision, and disrupting it in proximity. Fascinating implications.

I nod. "And so no chance that you'll be where you are."

"Not talking to you." She leads the way into the kitchen. "There are any number of things that could cause me to be somewhere else in my own home."
To be fair, even a blind person can memorise the layout of a house, given time and practice. Ever tried to walk to the bathroom in the dark and find yourself taking the right number of steps to reach the door without using a hand to guide yourself?

I nod, glancing at the photographs on the wall. Some of a younger Ms. Adler and Ms. Darkhölme, some of other people I don't recognise. The one that draws my attention is a group picture of the two of them with Anne-Marie. Huh. I don't think she has a copy-.

"You've stopped. You're looking at the photograph."
...Rogue didn't have a copy, since I bet you just scanned it. Nice little bonus present for her.

"I was speaking to Ms. Darkhölme a few hours ago."

"Oh? How is she?"
...Masculine. Though I suspect Irene here would have no problem with that.

"She was in good health. I think she's up to something evil, so I'm doing a three monkeys impression until it becomes overt." Wait a moment. "Don't you know?"

"I know roughly how well she's likely to be in a variety of situations. It's not the same."
And now I'm picturing her getting visions of different alternate universes' timelines. Given how predictably similar some things are, they're probably applicable.

I suppose that makes sense.

Inside the kitchen the dog walks over to its basket and flops down, watching its mistress. Ms. Adler picks up her abandoned mug of tea but leaves the newspaper where it is. Because she doesn't need to read it -she can't- but she can look into any future where she might read it and read it there.
Not a braille copy, I presume. Since she hasn't exactly got Daredevil's ink-sensitive touch. And man, is that ever a stretch of 'I'm blind, so my other senses are better.' :rolleyes:

"Well? What brought you here?"

"I read on your file in Professor Xavier's records. I understand that you were going blind before your ability manifested?"
Ooh, planning to see if the blindness is required for her powers, or if you can give her sight back? That'd be an interesting twist. And a nice wedding present.

"That doesn't mean that my precognition didn't cause my blindness, just that it manifested first."

"If you like, I can give you a brain scan more accurate than anything available to human medicine. If it was a side effect or unrelated, it's easy for me to fix."
Being able to see for the first time in a hundred years might be quite the experience. and depending on his level of 'I want to do nice things for Rogue's family', she might find herself rejuvenated too.

"Did Charles finally find a mutant healer?"

"Sorry, I don't have an x-gene. And I can only heal certain people. But in your case it's a service I'm happy to provide."
Pity this Lantern doesn't have access to the Danner formula. Or Cap's Super-soldier serum, on that note. ...Unless that was included in the files OL shared with his alternates. :confused:

"And why am I part of the elect?"

"I'm Anne-Marie's boyfriend, and I'm here to invite you to our wedding."
:VBoom! Conversational bomb dropped. "Hello, I'm your future son-in-law. Surprise."

I see the tea in her mug shake slightly, so she puts it down on the work surface.

"I didn't see that coming, either."
Given the almost obsessive desire writers have to hook Rogue up with Gambit, I'm not surprised.

"No?"

"If anyone, I was expecting Gambit."
...Seriously, are her visions just her being able to see the 'canon' timeline playing out? :p It really feels that way. Would be funny if any predictions related to things Lantern has altered were completely wrong... For this version of history, but not for the canon.

I frown. "Really? He didn't seem like the type."

"It wasn't likely. And you invited Raven."
True, Gambit has had a few bad experiences with marriage.

"And Kurt."

"Kurt-? Did you tell Raven you were inviting him?"
Well, not doing that would be a bit of a rude surprise.

"Yes. She didn't really react, but… I suppose that given how long it's been since she had anything to do with him, that.. may just be awkward for her rather than-."

"I wouldn't assume that." She looks thoughtful for a moment. "How long have the two of you been together?"
Ah, now for a second round of motherly interrogation. And since Irene has different priorities, this won't come down to 'Rich? Powerful? Good.' like it did with Raven.

"About three months. I wanted to.. wait a little longer. She.. emphatically didn't. Um, Professor Xavier managed to transfer Carol Danvers' personality back into her so that's not an issue any more, and when she woke up she didn't seem to really remember Anne-Marie, so we… Probably got away with that."

"It was necessary."
One of her long-term plans, eh? I suppose it did provide both women with remarkable character development over the years, but... It wasn't particularly pleasant development.

I raise my right index finger. "It was probably necessary. I understand that sometimes you miss consequences."

"That's true." She nods. "And if I can't see you at all, then everything that I thought I knew about her future could be wrong."
Gee, it's as if laying down events based on long-term predictions wasn't a marvellous idea. :rolleyes:

And how would you pronounce that? 'The Brotherhood of Eeeviiilll Mutants', with a big dose of sarcasm on the 'Evil'? :p

"I'm sorry?"

To be fair, it's Victor fucking Creed, poster boy for evil mutants. o_O No, wait, animated canon. I'm sorry: 'Graydon' fucking Creed.

"Okay, but can you come?"

"Do you have a date?"
Ah, see... That's one of the problems...

"I haven't actually asked her yet. Um. Do you have..? Any advice on..? How to go about that?"

"Oh good grief."
You said it, Charlie Brown.

Okay, wasn't expecting this, but it is a pleasant surprise. Irene always was a fun character in the comics, deflating Mystique's ego and seriousness with her subtle humour. Pity they felt the need to off her for Drama. I expect she's going to have a few headaches dealing with lantern, though, between his unpredictability and his... Inexperience? Uncertainty? In romantic matters.

Guild dog sniffing cautiously at me from her position next to Irene Adler's legs...
Guide dog sniffing cautiously at me from her position next to Irene Adler's legs...
"I read on your file in Professor Xavier's records.
Perhaps '"I read up on your file in Professor Xavier's records." or delete the 'on'?

When I clicked on that link I briefly thought it was an old episode of Doctor Who with the white hexagon decor and dramatic dialog.
Ah, I see what you mean.
I actually got that reference, though it is a bit obscure even for people who love Asimov's stories.

FYI, the mule was a mutant with mind reading and mental domination powers who merely by existing disrupted Seldon's plan to restore civilization as quickly as possible after the fall of the previous galactic civilization. Part of The Foundation series of stories.
It's not just that he was a mutant, it's that he was a psychic, and so powerful that he could act on a strategic scale. Psychohistory can't be used to predict the actions of individuals, but that usually doesn't matter because a role can be filled by anyone. At a certain point it's inevitable that someone will do a thing along certain lines. Except that where top tier superpowers are concerned, it matters a lot.
Guide dog sniffing cautiously at me from her position next to Irene Adler's legs...
Perhaps '"I read up on your file in Professor Xavier's records." or delete the 'on'?
Thank you, corrected.

Eddings was an AI all along, iterating from a different seed each time. ;)

The good thing is, it's kind like rereading a story you really liked, but it isn't exactly the same each time.

Not a braille copy, I presume. Since she hasn't exactly got Daredevil's ink-sensitive touch. And man, is that ever a stretch of 'I'm blind, so my other senses are better.' :rolleyes:

Well it has sometimes been hinted that the chemicals that blinded him altered him to have enhanced senses.

Pity this Lantern doesn't have access to the Danner formula. Or Cap's Super-soldier serum, on that note. ...Unless that was included in the files OL shared with his alternates. :confused:

Even if he got some of those things, they may not work due to potential metaphysical differences between universes.

I hope this becomes a recurring thing between these two.
Your boyfriend is an Idiot.

Irene he's not that bad!

Anne-Marie he's a good man with a good heart and it's obvious how much you love each other.
But the boy had a head full of rocks, well at least you have better taste in men than Raven.

How did he shut those down? The organization that made them?

Assuming he didn't do any convenience editing?

I believe he previously mentioned the HUGE violation of Human Rights, along with the American Constitution that Giant Killer Robots Abducting Citizens Without Due Process it was. And really, earth based AI Master Mold vs Malthus AI Power Ring....I'm gonna go with the Ring. Now if we had Nimrod due to time travel shenanigans we might have more of a problem.

Oh she is just a Treat.
she also had a woman who had perfect recall burned alive just because she didnt like the fact that said woman hated being a mutant.

I believe he previously mentioned the HUGE violation of Human Rights, along with the American Constitution that Giant Killer Robots Abducting Citizens Without Due Process it was. And really, earth based AI Master Mold vs Malthus AI Power Ring....I'm gonna go with the Ring. Now if we had Nimrod due to time travel shenanigans we might have more of a problem.
okay but HOW did it happen? did he meet someone from the government? did he file a lawsuit? i mean he obviously can track down mastermould but how did he stop someone from restarting the project?

Last edited:
How did he shut those down? The organization that made them?
The early episodes of the series involve the X-Men wrecking the factory and their database. The organisation that made it was the US government.
Assuming he didn't do any convenience editing?
The SI doesn't have that power. And he finds plausible deniability useful where Xavier is concerned.
okay but HOW did it happen? did he meet someone from the government? did he file a lawsuit? i mean he obviously can track down mastermould but how did he stop someone from restarting the project?
Go and watch the series.

When I clicked on that link I briefly thought it was an old episode of Doctor Who with the white hexagon decor and dramatic dialog.

Doctor Who copied that guy.

They copied a whole lot of the big three in science fiction and they later went and copied the grandfather of science fiction, Jules Verne, cause why not?

Posted from phone so excuse formatting errors
she also had a woman who had perfect recall burned alive just because she didnt like the fact that said woman hated being a mutant.

Trask got told by the president to stop after the x-men hit the mutant registration bureau

iirc she outright asked if the mutants had a good reason to feel threatened

plus having a sentinel wreck a mall makes for bad press

Users who are viewing this thread

Back