• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

And here comes the "What the hell did you do this time?" rant from either Dox or Hinon...
OL: o_O "Did you... Just express Rage through an Orange Power Ring?"

Hinon/Dox: Bitch, I'm a genius! I do what I want and I like what I do!

Well, he just... OL'd at him for a few minutes. Honestly, you've met OL, how did you not expect something like this when he turned up? :rolleyes:

They haven't known each other all that long, so she does not fully realize the full scope of his...thing.

She may have fought that no one is that stupid or weird.

Now she knows.

Sounds... Plausible. And logical, really. Mere flesh is not really designed to act as a lens for one seventh of the universe's emotional energy.

Plus the fact that said entity is a sadist probably doesn't help.

And if OL should happen to be able to arrange a leasing contract for those Rings between Qward and NEMO... Well, who'll argue?

Probably those that do not trust the Qwardians to not screw them over, which is a possibility.

Seems kind of foolhardy to go into this without some options, yes...

Paul has done some foolhardy things before.

Oh. I assumed the data she requested was regarding whatever Paul planned to do with the yellow ring.

I thought so too. Was that not what was implied at the end regarding telemetry data from the yellow ring he would get?

At the beginning I thought the Illustres was making time to find Lysis and greed-port to her to free Jade, not actually make a deal with a relatively unknown Weaponer whose motives and goal he can't actually be certain of. And Qward may be in shambles, but with the possibility that Sinestro may be working with Lysis, being totally uncaring of them getting an unlimited supply of power rings sounds like the coming of the War of Light.

Fear Ourself (part 13)
20th January 2013
18:26 GMT

"It's not damaged." The Weaponer performs checks on her equipment, but it's just as untouched as I left it. I guess that Parallax was having too much fun playing with my brain. "Good."

Jade shudders again, and I tighten my arms around her. Normally she'd hate looking weak, but I feel her need and see her reassurance. I haven't asked what it showed her yet, but I will, later.

"That's a ring forge. Have you forged rings before?"

"Yes. Eight Earth years ago. It was probably the pinnacle of my career."

Eight years… Not Sinestro, then. His fall from grace-. His getting booted out of the Corps, happened twelve years ago. Jordan had had his ring for a little over a year. Eight years… That was when Jordan fought St'nlli, so it's-.

"You made the Anti-. The antithesis rings."

"I was one of the Weaponers who worked on that project. Does Kalmin talk about it?"

"No. Wait, that was after Sinestro got his ring. I thought that Kalmin was deposed shortly after that."

"He was. The Antithesis Ring project was started before he met Sinestro. Varnathon let us continue it, probably so that he could arrange for us to die when the Green Lantern Corps made their counterattack."

"You appear to be alive."

"I ran a little faster. When you're surrounded by people who think with their thunderbolts, it pays to plan ahead."

"So the plan was… Have Parallax possess him, use that power to help you forge a ring.. by using them to bypass the focus requirement."

"Forge rings and personal lanterns. Parallax was irrelevant. And I would have given one to Harrolds, as per our agreement. And if his mind survived intact, he could have gone home to use it."

"Where did Parallax come in?"

"Why are you calling it that? 'Parallax' doesn't-."

"Yes, I-. Yes, I know. What do your people call the Fear Entity?"

"Qpwkohinaugvreau. The insect that drinks minds through a fear-proboscis."

"'Parallax' might be nonsense, but at least it's pronounceable. But where did it come in?"

"It wasn't supposed to. The tank I had Harrolds in was designed to prevent it seeing him as I increased the amount of yellow light passing through him. When you broke containment, it would have been like a beacon going off."

"Beacon… Okay, but where was it?"

"I don't know. Kalmin kept most of his research into the yellow light to himself." The rim of the hole I made in the tank glows for a moment, then starts to close. "I'm surprised that you don't know."

"I thought that the Guardians had it. But if they kept it locked up for millennia, I doubt that one person achieving enlightenment would break it out."

"No. But it might wake it up."

"Be-cause… The easiest way to keep someone imprisoned is if they don't try to escape. That also matches how confused he sounded about it."

The Guardians are just about the only people who could trap Parallax. Or another maltusian faction. Or-. No. They're not the only ones who could. They're just the only ones who would without immediately trying to weaponize it.

The tank finishes resealing itself and Weaponer Lysis turns back to me.

"Once he is inside, 'Parallax' will not be able to merge with him."

"Are you sure? A central power battery might be a better vessel."

"Perhaps. And if I had one, I would test it as a solution. Has it been used in that way before?"

"Ah… No. Ion and Ophidian are both in theirs willingly. Ophidian was trapped in a sort of proto-central power battery, but that had an insane Orange Lantern to be next to it at all times. I don't know if that was required, and I don't know about the others."

"Do you know anything useful?"

"Based on the visions it made me have, I can predict that it will travel into Reach territory, attempt to ally with them and then attack Sereaven. It wants me to be afraid. Now, what was that about a way to disrupt its connection with Harrolds? Because I've already got the device Controller Hinon made for me to render Larfleeze unable to focus."

"Was he merged with an Entity at the time?"

"No."

"Then you're welcome to try it, but I doubt that it will do anything. We can depart. I'll need to work with Kalmin or your Controllers to complete my work."

"So you don't have a disruptor, or-?"

She reaches into one of her pouches and pulls out… A green power ring, with the-

"I am entity Volthoom. Baseline universal substrate anomaly detected. Predicting-."

-strange double-loop Power Ring symbol on the bezel.

"Silence!" The ring doesn't stop muttering to itself, but the volume drops to barely audible. "It's unusually talkative. If you put it on, it talks constantly in your head. Harrolds was using it, but he found it extremely aggravating. Having tried putting up with it myself, I am sympathetic to his decision. Putting it on him should disrupt his connection to Parallax as the green light invades his psyche."

I nod. "Where's his personal lantern?"

"According to him, he doesn't have one. Whatever 'Volthoom' is, it provides power on its own. I would have preferred to make something similar, but Parallax is far too strong and I don't know of any other lifeforms that would work."

"Alright. I'll-."

Jade's right hand shoots out as she steps away from me, fingers pointing to-.

"Darling, I'm not sure that's-."

She pulls away from me, hand still reaching. "I'll risk it."

Weaponer Lysis holds it in Jade's direction, an expression of mild curiosity on her face as the ring flies in Jade's direction and lands on her right middle finger.

"I am entity Volthoom. New wearer detected. Manual activated. Control processes available. Playing manual."

Jade winces as her armour reformats into Power Ring's colours or green and white with the Power Ring logo on the chest.

"I'll take this as a try-out. What's our next-." She winces, the barely audible droning of the ring continuing. "Next step?"

"We travel to the anti-matter universe and I discuss things with my former teacher." She looks at me. "Bring everything, damage nothing."

I nod, orange light flowing out and enveloping her entire workshop.

"Transition in three, two, one."

Last edited:
Jade shudders again, and I tight my arms around her. Normally she'd hate looking weak, but I feel her need and see her reassurance. I haven't asked what it showed her yet, but I will, later.
That should say 'tighten'.

"It wasn't supposed to. The tank I had Harrolds is was designed to prevent it seeing him as I increased the amount of yellow light passing through him. When you broke containment, it would have been like a beacon going off."
That should say 'in'.

"I don't know. Kalmin kept most of his research into the yellow light to himself." The rim of hole I made in the tank glows for a moment, then starts to close. "I'm surprised that you don't know."
That should say 'of the hole'.

"I am entity Volthoom. Baseline universal substrate anomaly detected. Predicting-."
This is interesting. Mr Zoat, if it's not a spoiler, what is Volthoom in your fic?

Weaponer Lysis holds it in Jade's direction, an expression of mild curiosity on her face as the ring flies in Jade's direction and lands on her right middle finger.

"I am entity Volthoom. New wearer detected. Manual activated. Control processes available. Playing manual."

Jade winces as her armour reformats into Power Ring's colours or green and white with the Power Ring logo on the chest.

"I'll take this as a try-out. What's our next-." She winces, the barely audible droning of the ring continuing. "Next step?"
I am unsure whether or not I want Jade to keep that.

. I haven't asked what it showed her yet, but I will, later

I'm guessing it's her having never escaped from her father's influence.

Forge rings and personal lanterns. Parallax was irreverent. And I would have given one to Harrolds, as per our agreement. And if his mind survived intact, he could have gone home to use it."

And if he died you would have buried one with him.

Yes, I-. Yes, I know. What do your people call the Fear Entity?"

"Qpwkohinaugvreau

Bless you.

The insect that drink minds

"drinks"

Parallax' might be nonsense, but at least it's pronounceable.

Yep.

20th January 2013
18:26 GMT

"It's not damaged." The Weaponer performs checks on her equipment, but it's just as untouched as I left it. I guess that Parallax was having too much fun playing with my brain. "Good."

Jade shudders again, and I tight my arms around her. Normally she'd hate looking weak, but I feel her need and see her reassurance. I haven't asked what it showed her yet, but I will, later.
Hopefully with lots of ice cream, chocolate and paralytic massages. One safe bet on a vision is her as if she'd never gotten out from under her father's control, running around in a 'Tigress' outfit or something...

"That's a ring forge. Have you forged rings before?"

"Yes. Eight Earth years ago. It was probably the pinnacle of my career."
Huh. So she has some experience working with Rings. No doubt under Kalmin's stern eye.

Eight years… Not Sinestro, then. His fall from grace-. His getting booted out of the Corps, happened twelve years ago. Jordan had had his ring for a little over a year. Eight years… That was when Jordan fought St'nlli, so it's-.

"You made the Anti-. The antithesis rings."
The Anti-Green Rings, in other words. And there's Lysis, front and centre of the page picture, indeed.

"I was one of the Weaponers who worked on that project. Does Kalmin talk about it?"

"No. Wait, that was after Sinestro got his ring. I thought that Kalmin was deposed shortly after that."
I mean, a Power Ring knock-off doesn't just leap full-formed from a forge. No doubt there were many prototypes and dead-ends, like the Antithesis Rings.

"He was. The Antithesis Ring project was started before he met Sinestro. Varnathon let us continue it, probably so that he could arrange for us to die when the Green Lantern Corps made their counterattack."

"You appear to be alive."
Naturally. :rolleyes: Because the man had a veritable obsession with backstabbing and wasting talent...

"I ran a little faster. When you're surrounded by people who think with their thunderbolts, it pays to plan ahead."

"So the plan was… Have Parallax possess him, use that power to help you forge a ring.. by using them to bypass the focus requirement."
Still begs the question of how she would persuade them to do so. Or did she have contingencies for an unwilling entity?

"Forge rings and personal lanterns. Parallax was irreverent. And I would have given one to Harrolds, as per our agreement. And if his mind survived intact, he could have gone home to use it."

"Where did Parallax come in?"
Well, at least she'd keep her bargain. Better than some would.

"Why are you calling it that? 'Parallax' doesn't-."

"Yes, I-. Yes, I know. What do your people call the Fear Entity?"
And 'Fear Entity' sounds so impersonal, you know.

"Qpwkohinaugvreau. The insect that drink minds through a fear-proboscis."

"'Parallax' might be nonsense, but at least it's pronounceable. But where did it come in?"
...I mean, if some of that alphabet soup of consonants are glottal stops, or the like, it might be manageable. Koo-Pwuh-Kow-Hee-Norg-Vroo?
Or maybe it works like Ōlelo Hawaiʻi? With each clump as a different sound: Koo-Pwuh-Koh-Hi-Na-Ooh-Guv-Ruh-Oo?

"It wasn't supposed to. The tank I had Harrolds is was designed to prevent it seeing him as I increased the amount of yellow light passing through him. When you broke containment, it would have been like a beacon going off."

"Beacon… Okay, but where was it?"
Well, nice job breaking it, OL...

"I don't know. Kalmin kept most of his research into the yellow light to himself." The rim of hole I made in the tank glows for a moment, then starts to close. "I'm surprised that you don't know."

"I thought that the Guardians had it. But if they kept it locked up for millennia, I doubt that one person achieving enlightenment would break it out."
...Given that in the comics, it took Sinestro being imprisoned inside the Central Green Power Battery for Parallax to gain a possible escape route...

"No. But it might wake it up."

"Be-cause… The easiest way to keep someone imprisoned is if they don't try to escape. That also matches how confused he sounded about it."
And the connection forged between Harrolds and Parallax by that Fear infusion might well have been like a funnel. Allowing the big bug to pour itself out of wherever it was and into Harrolds...

The Guardians are just about the only people who could trap Parallax. Or another maltusian faction. Or-. No. They're not the only ones who could. They're just the only ones who would without immediately trying to weaponize it.

The tank finishes resealing itself and Weaponer Lysis turns back to me.
Well, as you said, not immediately. Sooner or later, the temptation would overwhelm them and bam, Parallax gets out... Which was basically the backstory/plot of the Green Lantern movie, wasn't it, kind of?

"Once he is inside, 'Parallax' will not be able to merge with him."

"Are you sure? A central power battery might be a better vessel."
If only in terms of scale of capacity. Like comparing a coin battery to some industrial-sized power cell.

"Perhaps. And if I had one, I would test it as a solution. Has it been used in that way before?"

"Ah… No. Ion and Ophidian are both in theirs willingly. Ophidian was trapped in a sort of proto-central power battery, but that had an insane Orange Lantern to be next to it at all times. I don't know if that was required, and I don't know about the others."
Which raises all manner of questions about them, really. I guess they're either really well-hidden or no-one's complaining about them...

"Do you know anything useful?"

"Based on the visions it made me have, I can predict that it will travel into Reach territory, attempt to ally with them and then attack Sereaven. It wants me to be afraid. Now, what was that about a way to disrupt its connection with Harrolds? Because I've already got the device Controller Hinon made for me to render Larfleeze unable to focus."
Oh, yay. A sparkler when you need a flashbang.

"Was he merged with an Entity at the time?"

"No."
Best Snek barely wanted anything to do with him, after all.

"Then you're welcome to try it, but I doubt that it will do anything. We can depart. I'll need to work with Kalmin or your Controllers to complete my work."

"So you don't have a disruptor, or-?"
Hopefully something that's not too destructive to the surroundings or its user?

She reaches into one of her pouches and pulls out… A green power ring, with the-

Oh, dear. Well, I guess Harrolds was lying about not being familiar with Power Rings...

-strange double-loop Power Ring symbol on the bezel.

"Silence!" The ring doesn't stop muttering to itself, but the volume drops to barely audible. "It's unusually talkative. If you put it on, it talks constantly in your head. Harrolds was using it, but he found it extremely aggravating. Having tried putting up with it myself, I am sympathetic to his decision. Putting it on him should disrupt his connection to Parallax as the green light invades his psyche."
...And Earth probably does have a Crime Syndicate running things.

I nod. "Where's his personal lantern?"

"According to him, he doesn't have one. Whatever 'Volthoom' is, it provides power on its own. I would have preferred to make something similar, but Parallax is far too strong and I don't know of any other lifeforms that would work."
Hopefully the modern incarnation of Volthoom won't be making an appearance... Far too great a stink of New 52 clinging to them.

"Alright. I'll-."

Jade's right hand shoots out as she steps away from me, fingers pointing to-.
Whoa, girl! No!

"Darling, I'm not sure that's-."

She pulls away from me, hand still reaching. "I'll risk it."
...Yeah, I don't think she's in any mood to listen to reason.

Hopefully she can keep in charge of it. It's not exactly one for playing nice with its users.

Jade winces as her armour reformats into Power Ring's colours of green and white with the Power Ring logo on the chest.

Let's hope this isn't a big mistake... :confused:

"We travel to the anti-matter universe and I discuss things with my former teacher." She looks at me. "Bring everything, damage nothing."

I nod, orange light flowing out and enveloping her entire workshop.

"Transition in three, two one."
o_O ...Wait, I thought they were already in... :eek: No, wait! From Lysis' perspective, the positive universe is the Anti-matter universe!

So, first steps taken, albeit some in unexpected directions. Why do I get the feeling Kalmin and Lysis will end up having to rapidly build a Central Yellow Battery from scratch in order to confine Parallax? Which may benefit from a discreet call to Ganthet and Sayd, by any means necessary. :sneaky: Their experience may prove useful, and it may be a useful seed for future endeavours...

What -> Was
two -> two, [for consistency]
That should say 'tighten'.
That should say 'in'.
That should say 'of the hole'.
Thank you, corrected.
This is interesting. Mr Zoat, if it's not a spoiler, what is Volthoom in your fic?
I have no firm opinion at this time. Not the Forever Evil version, obviously, and not whatever that First Lantern thing was about.
Thank you, corrected.
Why is Volthoom a ring?
Because Volthoom is a ring.

So, looking up John Harrolds and the cursed 'Magik Power Ring' that Volthoom is associated with, I can pretty confidently say this isn't ideal.

Also Jade is going to need a vacation from her vacation after this. The vacation is more stressful than the work.

Edit: it may be possible to just assimilate the ring to break the curse, but there is something of a risk that it'd drain her heavily to fuel resisting the effect if someone tried.

So, looking up John Harrolds and the cursed 'Magik Power Ring' that Volthoom is associated with, I can pretty confidently say this isn't ideal.

Also Jade is going to need a vacation from her vacation after this. The vacation is more stressful than the work.

Edit: it may be possible to just assimilate the ring to break the curse, but there is something of a risk that it'd drain her heavily to fuel resisting the effect if someone tried.
I'm sure Grandma Controller could take care of it.

I think it's only the post-Flashpoint version of the Ring of Volthoom that drains the user to power itself. Zoat had explicitly said he's not using that version, but otherwise hadn't really decided what 'Volthoom' is currently.

Honestly, I understand why DC gave Krona's gauntlet to COTE's Power Ring and Zoat just gave a Yellow Ring to Earth -14's Alan Scott. It's easier than actually trying to sort out Volthoom.

Heck, the current official version of Earth 3 doesn't use Volthoom at all and instead just has the Emerald Knights functioning as a proper inversion of the Green Lantern Corps. Their rings are just regular green rings with a different sigil.

The Volthoom ring isn't that complicated if you ignore the post flashpoint retcons which Zoat was always unlikely to use anyway.

I mean is a power ring that works by a trapped mystical entity like someone's soul really that odd?

Especially since Alan was based on Aladdin and his genie of the ring and the genie of the lamp (aka lantern)?

There's odder.

Like in Ring of Evil, demons taught a Nazi a ritual of how to make a power ring with 13 human sacrifices, in that case Nazis willing to die for the cause. That ring eats souls and would scream at you in German if you did anything to upset their delicate sensibilities. That ring was also ineffective against iron.

The Volthoom ring isn't that complicated if you ignore the post flashpoint retcons which Zoat was always unlikely to use anyway.

I mean is a power ring that works by a trapped mystical entity like someone's soul really that odd?

Especially since Alan was based on Aladdin and his genie of the ring and the genie of the lamp (aka lantern)?

There's odder.

Like in Ring of Evil, demons taught a Nazi a ritual of how to make a power ring with 13 human sacrifices, in that case Nazis willing to die for the cause. That ring eats souls and would scream at you in German if you did anything to upset their delicate sensibilities. That ring was also ineffective against iron.

So it's just like the rings larfleze Made

There's odder.

huh. I never knew about that storyline.

The magical power rings always feel less impressive to me for some reason.

So it's just like the rings larfleze Made

Well I wouldn't say just like, but yes they are similar methods.

Those orange rings were made by transforming people, I do believe that the Volthoom ring was made by putting someone into a ring.

huh. I never knew about that storyline.

The magical power rings always feel less impressive to me for some reason.

It was an elseworld, so it's not like it mattered to other storylines. With that demonic ring, the Nazis won world war 2, Green Arrow led the resistance, and John Stewart and Carol were canoodling behind Hal's back.

And finding magical rings less impressive makes sense- Magic is often used in fiction as a do anything phenomenon. So a do anything with magic ring is pretty much just par for the course, therefore a do anything techno-ring just seems more impressive in comparison.

Hmm. Volthoom is explicitly Green, calls itself an entity and is in ring form. And there's no normal Emotional Spectrum Entities in the negative universe(s). What if every one of the seven colors has a magical ring entity in the style of Volthoom in the negative universe(s) as a kind of counterpart to the positive-native Emotional Entities. I.e. Volthoom is anti-Ion ect.

Hmm. Volthoom is explicitly Green, calls itself an entity and is in ring form. And there's no normal Emotional Spectrum Entities in the negative universe(s). What if every one of the seven colors has a magical ring entity in the style of Volthoom in the negative universe(s) as a kind of counterpart to the positive-native Emotional Entities. I.e. Volthoom is anti-Ion ect.
It is definitely possible that he's an emotional entity in the form of a ring, but I think he'd have to be from a universe that has different emotional physics than universes 16 and -16, because -16 clearly does have emotional entities given we just saw Parallax merge with a guy, with no indication that it was moved here from the positive matter universe, and Lysis indicated that the entities are well-known to the Weaponers, given that they have a special name for the fear entity.
Furthermore, Zoat said that he has tentatively decided that the matter-antimatter universe pairs share a set of entities.

Him being an emotional entity from another universe pair would maybe make some sense with his backstory, too, since from reading the linked articles it seems to involve a lot of inter-universal travel.

It is definitely possible that he's an emotional entity in the form of a ring, but I think he'd have to be from a universe that has different emotional physics than universes 16 and -16, because -16 clearly does have emotional entities given we just saw Parallax merge with a guy, with no indication that it was moved here from the positive matter universe, and Lysis indicated that the entities are well-known to the Weaponers, given that they have a special name for the fear entity.
Furthermore, Zoat said that he has tentatively decided that the matter-antimatter universe pairs share a set of entities.

Him being an emotional entity from another universe pair would maybe make some sense with his backstory, too, since from reading the linked articles it seems to involve a lot of inter-universal travel.
What I am positing (keeping in mind that Zoat's stance on Emotional Entities and their relation to negative universes is tentative) is that there are two categories of Emotional Color Spectrum Entities. One is the more powerful Entities that originate in the positive universe(s). They are: Butcher, Ophidian, Parallax, Ion, Adara, Proselyte & Predator. They are powerful, can travel instantly through the universe, can perceive and travel to the negative universe, can possess or bond with mortal hosts, have abilities that are similar to yet categorically distinct from magic, have limited personality expression when not bonded and so on and so forth. Then there is a second, negative native Entity group. They are ring-bound, magical, vocally expressive, domineering. The only known one (and based on canon) is the Green one which goes by the name Volthoom.

Mr Zoat so a tiny continuity error. In Fear Ourself (part 12), Lysis refers to the Fear Entity as the Parallax Entity before Paul does. Then in Fear Ourself (part 13), Lysis is confused and questions Paul about why he is referring to it as Parallax.
Edit: She also literally calls it Parallax right before questioning why Paul does.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back