• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Fear Ourself (part 14)
20th January 2013
19:02 GMT

There's a thump-clatter as Hinon drops a large personal lantern shaped object on the floor next to me.

"Just… Why?"

"I had no idea that would attract Parallax. I'd have thought that giving Dame Carol the Star Sapphire was more likely to summon Predator, and that didn't happen."

"The Predator is firmly under Zamaron control."

"And I thought the Guardians had Parallax. Wasn't that part of why they let Larfleeze keep the Orange Light Fountain?"

"I thought that as well. And then I thought, 'if any man in the universe could break their prison by accident, who would it be?'."

"Sinestro? He's been using a yellow ring for a while, and he would have been told about the Entities when he was First Lantern."

She adopts a thoughtful expression.

"You think he's been planning this since he would have had access to Parallax's containment vessel? While he was still a serving Green Lantern?"

"I'm suggesting it as a possibility. I've got no real idea what draws Entities still in the wild to a particular location. It's a big universe."

"No, seven galaxies is not a big universe."

"An evasion? My Lady Controller, I thought better of you."

"They're usually perfectly content to exist within their… Honden, you call it? Because that's the view of the universe that they understand. Parallax moving to a place would flare that portion of the Honden, but the observable effect wouldn't be larger than those fears flaring for the people in the affected region."

"Or of the affected type."

"Yes, quite. Parallax was first brought into the material universe by Krona's experiment. Though, I… I would have done the same. At the time, such things were quite a curiosity."

"Did he bring it out just to study it?"

"Partially that. It was also… The few other intelligences that existed at the time were socially and technologically primitive. They were one of the few sophont beings around that had a power of any real significance. It was the first time we could talk to something that was… Not like us, but…"

"In your league."

"As it turned out, no, but yes. And as we learned more of their nature we were naturally disappointed. The Zamarons-. Proto-Zamarons, in particular. For them, love was community. Family. They didn't expect the Predator to be quite so possessive as it is."

"And since then?"

"The Ophidian was on Okaara. The Guardians kept Ion, and eventually moved it to the Green Central Power Battery once their Corps was established. The Proselyte travelled to a world that resonated with its colour and returned to its Honden. Parallax was kept contained by the Guardians due to its intensely malicious nature."

"The Butcher? Adara?"

"We rather lost track of them while containing Krona. We assumed that they copied the Proselyte, and given that we haven't seen them since that appears to be a reasonable conclusion."

"Nekron?"

"Oh, we know exactly where he is."

"Any advice on fighting Parallax?"

"Yes. It relishes fear, but it's not much given to physical aggression. It will fight and wound to make people afraid, but it won't want to have to work for a victory against someone who doesn't fear it."

"That's awkward, because I am afraid. There's a hugely powerful creature out there that wants to undo all my work, to ruin the lives of people I've helped just to make me afraid that it will keep going."

"Feeling fear will give it power. I suggest that you stop."

"That's the stupid thing. If Parallax just learned to take joy in little fears, there wouldn't be a problem. But if it rampages around slaughtering people so it can feel their fear as they die, it'll eventually run out."

"Logical, but wrong. You're underestimating the area involved. Even with a mere seven galaxies to work with, even destroying an inhabited world's worth of people each day, there would still be more than enough time for the population to replenish itself."

"I.. suppose that-."

Green flames flare into being besides me, spreading out to reveal a heavy wooden door construct. A moment later it opens and Lord Malvolio strides through, Lantern Priest a little behind him.

"Oh. Aren't you impressive."

Lord Malvolio looks at me for a moment, then turns towards Hinon, arms crossed. "What manner of mischief has this ungovernable Lantern wrought?"

"Thank you for answering, my lord. Events have conspired to bond the Fear Entity to a mortal man and he's planning on creating fear in me by threatening the worlds N.E.M.O. protects. I wouldn't ask you to fight the Reach with us; you have your own worlds to shepherd. But the Fear Entity is everyone's problem."

"Mine own fears are brought low and bound long since, unable to rise above their timorous and trembling station. Fear has its place, but not in the manner of a great and galloping beast, bringing rack and ruin as it runs. In this task, my blade is yours, 'til the brute is bested, beaten and banished."

"Thank you. Hinon, would it be possible to build a Yellow Light Fountain to-."

"No. That would take years of study at the very least, and it would need to be activated well away from Parallax. And I couldn't do it in any case. All this will do-" She indicates her lantern-prison. "-is contain Parallax if it is forced to leave its current host. And don't assume that it can keep it inside indefinitely."

Okay. I glance in the direction of Kalmin's laboratory. No large explosions, so I assume that he and Weaponer Lysis are getting on with things.

"In that case, Lord Malvolio, since we've got a little while before we need to depart, would you mind speaking with Jade about using green rings?"

"Doth your consort look with a covetous heart 'pon the rings of Oa?"

"No, she grasps with a determined hand 'pon the ring of Volthoom."

"And what manner of being is Volthoom?"

"A talkative one, who can power a ring without a personal lantern."

Lantern Priest shakes his head. "Personal lanterns are an unnecessary crutch, as both Lord Malvolio and I demonstrate."

"Alright, well, the training grounds are this way."

Last edited:
"Mine own fears are brought low and bound long since, unable to rise above their timorous and trembling station. Fear has its place, but not in the manner of a great and galloping beast, bringing rack and ruin as it runs. In this task, my blade is yours, 'til the brute is bested, beaten and banished."
Guardians: "We don't understand."

20th January 2013
19:02 GMT

There's a thump-clatter as Hinon drops a large personal lantern shaped object on the floor next to be.

"Just… Why?"
Yep, that's just about the reaction I expected from Orange Granny. Well, it was that or yelling and throwing things at OL's head, but that would just damage the objects thrown...

"I had no idea that would attract Parallax. I'd have thought that giving Dame Carol the Star Sapphire was more likely to summon Predator, and that didn't happen."

"The Predator is firmly under Zamaron control."
I'm guessing it's not bound in the fun way, though.

"And I thought the Guardians had Parallax. Wasn't that part of why they let Larfleeze keep the Orange Light Fountain?"

"I thought that as well. And then I thought, 'if any man in the universe could break their prison by accident, who would it be?'."
Ah, she knows OL well. :rolleyes:

"Sinestro? He's been using a yellow ring for a while, and he would have been told about the Entities when he was First Lantern."

She adopts a thoughtful expression.
Though it seems a bit much of him. Playing this long a game?

"You think he's been planning this since he would have had access to Parallax's containment vessel? While he was still a serving Green Lantern?"

"I'm suggesting it as a possibility. I've got no real idea what draws Entities still in the wild to a particular location. It's a big universe."
...Comparatively speaking. Hmm... If the universe is only seven Galaxies, are the other stars the eyes of those bound on the Source Wall?

"An evasion? My Lady Controller, I thought better of you."
Don't change the subject, OL. Rampaging Fear Entity, remember?

"They're usually perfectly content to exist within their… Honden, you call it? Because that's the view of the universe that they understand. Parallax moving to a place would flare that portion of the Honden, but the observable effect wouldn't be larger than those fears flaring for the people in the affected region."

"Or of the affected type."
So The Butcher might not even be noticed if it's hanging around a warzone, for example?

"Yes, quite. Parallax was first brought into the material universe by Krona's experiment. Though, I… I would have done the same. At the time, such things were quite a curiosity."

"Did he bring it out just to study it?"
Unless he was interested in having some very unusual pets, I would assume so.

"Partially that. It was also… The few other intelligences that existed at the time were socially and technologically primitive. They were one of the few sophont beings around that had a power of any real significance. It was the first time we could talk to something that was… Not like us, but…"

"In your league."
Pity the Entities are so focused on their own element, then.

"As it turned out, no, but yes. And as we learned more of their nature we were naturally disappointed. The Zamarons-. Proto-Zamarons, in particular. For them, love was community. Family. They didn't expect the Predator to be quite so possessive as it is."

"And since then?"
Sadly, the Predator is very much in the Yandere zone...

"The Ophidian was on Okaara. The Guardians kept Ion, and eventually moved it to the Green Central Power Battery once their Corps was established. The Proselyte travelled to a world that resonated with its colour and returned to its Honden. Parallax was kept contained by the Guardians due to its intensely malicious nature."

"The Butcher? Adara?"
And the less said about the Life Entity the better.

"We rather lost track of them while containing Krona. We assumed that they copied the Proselyte, and given that we haven't seen them since that appears to be a reasonable conclusion."

"Nekron?"

"Oh, we know exactly where he is."
Somewhere very secure and hopefully staying that way?

"Any advice on fighting Parallax?"

"Yes. It relishes fear, but it's not much given to physical aggression. It will fight and wound to make people afraid, but it won't want to have to work for a victory against someone who doesn't fear it."
In other words, it won't go for the kill unless it's certain it has an insurmountable advantage?

"That's awkward, because I am afraid. There's a hugely powerful creature out there that wants to undo all my work, to ruin the lives of people I've helped just to make me afraid that it will keep going."

"Feeling fear will give it power. I suggest that you stop."
Easier said than done, Hinon.

"That's the stupid thing. If Parallax just learned to take joy in little fears, there wouldn't be a problem. But if it rampages around slaughtering people so it can feel their fear as the die, it'll eventually run out."

"Logical, but wrong. You're underestimating the area involved. Even with a mere seven galaxies to work with, even destroying an inhabited world's worth of people each day, there would still be more than enough time for the population to replenish itself."
Billions of worlds, after all. Sooner or later, a new species will evolve, and eventually, Parallax will return.

"I.. suppose that-."

Green flames flare into being besides me, spreading out to reveal a heavy wooden door construct. A moment later it opens and Lord Malvolio strides through, Lantern Priest a little behind him.
Ah, big green. That'll be helpful, lacking Guy and his 'Ion on Speed-dial' connections.

"Oh. Aren't you impressive."

Lord Malvolio looks at me for a moment, then turns towards Hinon, arms crossed. "What manner of mischief has this ungovernable Lantern wrought?"
Heh. Everybody ragging on OL today. I mean, he kind of deserves it, but...

"Thank you for answering, my lord. Events have conspired to bond the Fear Entity to a mortal man and he's planning on creating fear in me by threatening the worlds N.E.M.O. protects. I wouldn't ask you to fight the Reach with us; you have your own worlds to shepherd. But the Fear Entity is everyone's problem."

Don't be too certain of that, Malvolio. ...Well, be certain of it, and hold on to that certainty when it tries to mess with you.

"Thank you. Hinon, would it be possible to build a Yellow Light Fountain to-."

"No. That would take years of study at the very least, and it would need to be activated well away from Parallax. And I couldn't do it in any case. All this will do-" She indicates her lantern-prison. "-is contain Parallax if it is forced to leave its current host. And don't assume that it can keep it inside indefinitely."
Hopefully long enough to get it back to the Guardians, and hope whatever they used to hold it is still usable.

Okay. I glance in the direction of Kalmin's laboratory. No large explosions, so I assume that he and Weaponer Lysis are getting on with things.

"In that case, Lord Malvolio, since we've got a little while before we need to depart, would you mind speaking with Jade about using green rings?"
Ah, right. That little situation.

"Doth your consort look with a covetous heart 'pon the rings of Oa?"

"No, she grasps with a determined hand 'pon the ring of Volthoom."
Though I suspect having a Green Ring of Malvolio's providence will be almost as good a balm to her wounded soul...

"And what manner of being is Volthoom?"

"A talkative one, who can power a ring without a personal lantern."
And possibly not a friendly entity, especially if it begins to slip its leashes.

Lantern Priest shakes his head. "Personal lanterns are an unnecessary crutch, as both Lord Malvolio and I demonstrate."

"Alright, well, the training grounds are this way."
I wonder what they'll make of the alternate universe ring...

All right. Getting some big green guns involved is definitely a good idea. If nothing else, they're going to be a lot more resistant to Parallax's fear attacks, between over-saturation and Enlightenment. Still, they can't count on them holding up...Sadly, Star Sapphires would probably not be useful hear, since their Love gives them more to fear losing...

Hello, Mr. Zoat I was wondering for a while If I could write a scene with your Lord Malvolio attempting to forge a ring, but now you have brought him on. So I'm wondering what the rule is for using the fictional universe you've created? If you tell me to back off that's fine I understand.

It always gets me that the universe is this small. Is the universe even expanding? Does Hubble's law hold here?
Also, something tells me Malvolio is not nearly as fear free as he thinks.

Bragging like that is usually the entrée to humble pie.
Usually it is, but given that Malvolio is generally a bit of a gigachad, I will not be surprised if he is simply speaking the truth.

Hello, Mr. Zoat I was wondering for a while If I could write a scene with your Lord Malvolio attempting to forge a ring, but now you have brought him on. So I'm wondering what the rule is for using the fictional universe you've created?
Sometimes I just make something up and say that it's MINEMINEMINE and no one can touch it. But you're just so gosh darn earnest about it.

There isn't one. In no legal sense do I own any of this, and I have no real moral claim given that I'm already using someone else's work to base this on.
If you tell me to back off that's fine I understand.
It's difficult to tell you to back off when I have no idea where you are. For all I know you're on the opposite side of the world from me and backing off would actually bring you closer.
Thank you, corrected.

@MrZoat, does the ring of Volthoom slowly kill it's user here?

Eh,he keeps things interesting. For someone of her age, boredome is a serious risk to mental health.

He's been stewing in the Green Light of Will for centuries, like the Guardians his ability to feel the emotions of the other lights of the emotional electromagnetic spectrum might be impeded.

@MrZoat, does the ring of Volthoom slowly kill it's user here?
No, because that would be the Forever Evil version. It just annoys them until they've got enough cash that they can afford to find some other sap who'll take it off them. The blond version of Power Ring still thought it was worthwhile.

Last edited:
No, because that would be the Forever Evil version. It just annoys them until they've got enouigh cash that they can afford to find some other sap who'll take it off them. The blond version of Power Ring still thought it was worthwhile.

Ah, so you're treating the ring as a normal green ring, it just happens to have an annoying entity of unknown origin named Volthoom stuck inside it and powering it?

Ah, so you're treating the ring as a normal green ring, it just happens to have an annoying entity of unknown origin named Volthoom stuck inside it and powering it?
Pretty much. That's what it was during the period I was reading comics. The original version was literally just a green ring with a different sigil.

Pretty much. That's what it was during the period I was reading comics. The original version was literally just a green ring with a different sigil.
Actually apparently the original pre-Crisis version was seemingly magical? That version of Power Ring received his ring and a lamp (not a lantern) from a monk named Volthoom.

And the less said about the Life Entity the better.

Paul knows exactly where it is, and Hinon knows that Paul knows exactly where it is, and that's all that needs to be said about it.

In other words, it won't go for the kill unless it's certain it has an insurmountable advantage?

Exactly. Parallax was the first sentient being to feel fear, and it's never stopped being afraid. Just like the Butcher is ALWAYS ANGRY!!! ALL THE TIME!!!

Eh,he keeps things interesting. For someone of her age, boredome is a serious risk to mental health.

But too much excitement is a heart attack waiting to happen.

True.

He may be resistant to a lot of things, but this is the Fear Entity we're talking about.

Yep, that's just about the reaction I expected from Orange Granny. Well, it was that or yelling and throwing things at OL's head, but that would just damage the objects thrown...

I was expecting her just looking at him with a stoney silence.

Heh. Everybody ragging on OL today. I mean, he kind of deserves it, but...

No, no, don't say "but".

He deserves this and so much more.

Did anything ever come of Anya Savenlovich I can't remember? Im currently rereading early orange lantern corp building arcs and she's mentioned as the new green lantern for sector 2814

Last edited:
Did anything ever come of Anya Savenlovich I can't remember? Im currently rereading early orange lantern corp building arcs and she's mentioned as the new personal green lantern for sector 2814

Aside from that time she was presented we haven't seen anything else.

Paul did once mention that she's donating her body to science when she dies, but that's it

What happened to Ragnar again after his debut? Have conflicting memories

He hits recruits hard enough to force them to learn to heal themselves, is viewed as LePauls beefcake and is saddened thay his position as primary trainer means he doesn't have the same camaraderie that other orange lanterns do.

He hits recruits hard enough to force them to learn to heal themselves, is viewed as LePauls beefcake and is saddened thay his position as primary trainer means he doesn't have the same camaraderie that other orange lanterns do.

Beef GATE, as in a mini boss with enough HP to take a beating, keeping you away from the big boss.

Beefcake, is something completely different.

Actually apparently the original pre-Crisis version was seemingly magical? That version of Power Ring received his ring and a lamp (not a lantern) from a monk named Volthoom.

Yes, much to Superman's displeasure.

It also had no limitations towards wood or the color yellow, again to Superman's displeasure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back