• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Not arguing with the first bit, but could he see their intent/desire to be rid of him? This version doesn't seem to be enlightened.
Paulragon was looking at people's desires as a matter of habit long before he was enlightened. Presumably it's easier to do so when enlightened, but definitely an option without enlightenment.

Not arguing with the first bit, but could he see their intent/desire to be rid of him? This version doesn't seem to be enlightened.

The Illustres could see desires and orange light impulses in others before Enlightenment. Although I can't remember if he always had to use his Eyes of the Ophidian technique for it.

That's something I miss, the named techniques. My inner gamer/anime fan suffers their absence.

This Paul doesn't have that power.

Responding to Vearmina.

Uhhh... fucking source?

Where in any of the 40k chapters has that even been remotely hinted at? Why wouldn't he be able to do it? 40k lore already has something that basically does that, and a Power Ring is a whole lot better than base Warp Sorcery, so the idea that he somehow couldn't or wouldn't be able to look at someone's desires is absurd.

I think that what's making the WH40k story compelling at the moment is that Paul isn't really a big gun narrative wise.

The problems and situations he deals with are personal and meaningful to him vs the heavy tones of carrying the weight of the world on his shoulders in the main storyline.

Just a heads up at their pre dark age humanity was just as if not more advanced than the elder. They just had magic and warp fuckery that evened the playing field. Humanity's standard equipment was what the league of votann normally use.
The Votann were a Golden Age mining expedition.

So the actual Golden Age tech is probably a good bit higher then even that.

Responding to Vearmina.

Uhhh... fucking source?

Where in any of the 40k chapters has that even been remotely hinted at? Why wouldn't he be able to do it? 40k lore already has something that basically does that, and a Power Ring is a whole lot better than base Warp Sorcery, so the idea that he somehow couldn't or wouldn't be able to look at someone's desires is absurd.
Because that's not a natural power of Power Rings.

And no, Power Ring's aren't better then base Warp Sorcery.

Because that's not a natural power of Power Rings.

Replying to Vearmina.

You... haven't actually read this story even once, have you? Because it's either that or you've conveniently missed the people pointing out that in this AU fanfiction, where "canon" only matters when and if the author of the text says it does, that very much is a natural ability of Power Rings.

And no, Power Ring's aren't better then base Warp Sorcery.

They absolutely are. There is nothing The Warp is capable of that a Power Ring can't also do, usually to a much higher level of power and precision than any Psyker or Warp Echo out there. The only "advantage" The Warp has over The Glow and its associated technologies is that Chaos has a fucking aneurism any time someone tries to research it, making progressing that field of knowledge exceptionally difficult.

Power Rings have allowed teleportation, time travel, universe hoping, and more all while providing a sufficiently adept user with the power to annihilate galaxies and fight gods that make even the most fanwank-y interpretations of The Four seem quaint in comparison.

Of course that power scale hardly matters in WTR since Zoat doesn't seem particularly inclined to allow the setting to get that strong, a move I can whole heartedly applaud because power scaling is for nerds, so Chaos is a galactic threat that can't tell what its own hands are doing most of the time at best, and Power Rings are far more reasonable than whatever the hell the comics are doing.

If Kais doesn't work out then I'll either have to try fire warriors suffering from battlesuit psychosis, and I don't think that will go well for anyone."
He says 'either', but then as far as I can tell he never says more than one option.
I mean, sure, Tsua'm can speak reasonable English and I know that she's working on a translation program, but those things are so awkward compared to just… Not needing it.
What, P'ol doesn't want to learn Gothic? Come ooonnn.
Just a heads up at their peak pre dark age humanity was just as if not more advanced than the elder. They just had magic and warp fuckery that evened the playing field. Humanity's standard equipment was what the league of votann normally use.
I think it's up to interpretation. Both sides have pretty incredible technological feats. I don't see much point in making a distinction between physical and psychic tech, but even if we are then the dark elder have some really impressive purely physical tech, which is especially impressive because they can't even use the most advanced eldar tech due to it all being psychic.
The Illustres could see desires and orange light impulses in others before Enlightenment. Although I can't remember if he always had to use his Eyes of the Ophidian technique for it.

That's something I miss, the named techniques. My inner gamer/anime fan suffers their absence.
I'm pretty sure he had to use that technique every time, I don't think he had any passive ability to detect desires before enlightenment. Also that technique made his eyes glow I think, so if he told the tau about the ability then they might tell him not to use it on their leaders. Kind of a security risk, after all.

Using the Warp to do power ring like stuff tends to ge extremely dangerous for the user. Heck the Warp is extremely dangerous.

My solution for fixing the darn 40k setting is a retrovirus that makes everyone a blank.

That means goodbye Warp fuckery.

o_O Oof. I know they might all be aware of that, but to come out and say it right to the big guy's face...
I'd have to reread Fire Warrior to know for certain, but I think Aun'Va may have been the one to impliment the 'do not recruit' policy.
I remember that story of a Tau force fighting Slaanesh daemons and cultists and assuming the more exotic entities are simply an unusual alien race... From a White Dwarf not long after the original codex rolled out, I think...
As far as I remember, it was a Daemon Prince of Slaanesh leading some Chaos Space Marines. They thought that it was Slaanesh.
Swap around 'than' and 'that'?
Me said:
If Kais doesn't work out then I'll either have to try fire warriors suffering from battlesuit psychosis
Thank you, corrected.

What, P'ol doesn't want to learn Gothic? Come ooonnn.
Why would he want to learn High Gothic? He'd get more mileage out of learning Tau Standard, even if he can't do the scents.
Using the Warp to do power ring like stuff tends to ge extremely dangerous for the user. Heck the Warp is extremely dangerous.

My solution for fixing the darn 40k setting is a retrovirus that makes everyone a blank.

That means goodbye Warp fuckery.
It would also block everyone who wasn't a necron or the SI from faster than light travel and cause thousands of worlds to starve to death. Which is why the necron ending to Battlefleet Gothic 2 is actually really bad.

Can't new rings be created from the assimilated? I remember Larfleeze having done that with a bunch of the people that were drawn to him and even did it to one of the Guardians, but I don't actually remember Paul ever doing something like that himself. Is it something that requires an ungodly amount of desire to do maybe? Something that Larfleeze had, but Paul lacks?

Paulragon was looking at people's desires as a matter of habit long before he was enlightened. Presumably it's easier to do so when enlightened, but definitely an option without enlightenment.

That required summoning the eyes of the ophidean and making his eyes vividly glow orange, it's not something he can do without the other party noticing unless he is a fair distance away and hidden.

Something he cannot do during this meeting.

I hope Paul has given his superiors the heads up that the Ring feeds and powers itself from the warp and that will make then be wary of just giving the ring to someone else after killing Paul, because otherwise he isn't keeping his nominal allies on the loop.

Just a heads up at their peak pre dark age humanity was just as if not more advanced than the elder. They just had magic and warp fuckery that evened the playing field. Humanity's standard equipment was what the league of votann normally use.

That's just your headcanon. Besides a few instances in books that show that humanity and the Iron Men has some radical weaponry there is no real indication on what the peak of the Golden Age was. It is also possible that the league of votann was humanities very early or perhaps even very late attempt at colonizing the core with reliable and less complex tech. Complex machines are harder on maintenance and production, so sometimes the low tech solution is best. The galactic core is a very hazardous place after all.

There is also no source on what Elder civilization was like either. Keep in mind, they were around for MILLIONS OF YEARS before humanity. The craft worlds are the amish hicks of that civilization.

Can't new rings be created from the assimilated? I remember Larfleeze having done that with a bunch of the people that were drawn to him and even did it to one of the Guardians, but I don't actually remember Paul ever doing something like that himself. Is it something that requires an ungodly amount of desire to do maybe? Something that Larfleeze had, but Paul lacks?
Paul can do that, but doesn't because he already has Controllers making rings that won't cause users to hear the voices and/or see the memories of the Construct-Lantern used to make the ring.

It would also block everyone who wasn't a necron or the SI from faster than light travel and cause thousands of worlds to starve to death. Which is why the necron ending to Battlefleet Gothic 2 is actually really bad.

If enough planets aren't self sufficient when it comes to food the setting is already fucked up beyond salvation without the Warp fuckery. All it would take is a big enough conflict and thousands of worlds would starve to death anyway.

Think of it like the Common Cold, in old times many died ,up to about 50% or more of the human population but nowadays the virus went trom extremely lethal to mostly survivable. The worlds that survive would be free of Warp fuckery and without Psyckers or whatever is called all those Warp beings would die off.

Plus the Blank retrovirus would also severely neuter Orks ability to bullshit reality.

Also the survivors would eventually develop some non Warp method of FTL travel anyway.

Edit: Lead poisoning may have killed the Roman Empire,;The Warp is way worse.

If enough planets aren't self sufficient when it comes to food the setting is already fucked up beyond salvation without the Warp fuckery. All it would take is a big enough conflict and thousands of worlds would starve to death anyway.
Hive Worlds have to import food. What you just described would kill most of the Imperium's industry, including the bit keeping the Emperor functioning. And yes, attacking Agri Worlds is a known way to weaken Hive Worlds.
Think of it like the Common Cold, in old times many died ,up to about 50% or more of the human population but nowadays the virus went trom extremely lethal to mostly survivable. The worlds that survive would be free of Warp fuckery and without Psyckers or whatever is called all those Warp beings would die off.
But not the material physics fuckery of the necrons, who now rule everything.
Plus the Blank retrovirus would also severely neuter Orks ability to bullshit reality.
The one upside. Ork spores need a waaagh field to work. Without one all orks will die off.
Also the survivors would eventually develop some non Warp method of FTL travel anyway.
No, because that's really hard. And because the necrons have killed them.

As I'm sure that you can understand, selfless devotion to the Greater Good and a burning desire to acquire things for yourself are usually mutually contradictory drives."

Though it may be possible for the individual to merge these two together so that they see themselves acquiring things as serving the Greater Good.

We… Once spoke of the Greater Good as an inevitable enlightenment that all intelligent life would naturally strive towards. I think that it is commonly acknowledged now that we overestimated the appeal of reason."

Ohoh, yeah.

Ah! Reasonability in 40K! Heresy!

(Good job, P'ol, keep it up)

The Reasonable Meri es approve of his methods.

Responding to Vearmina.

Uhhh... fucking source?

You're asking Vaermina for a source about their opinion and You're using reason?

These things do not compute with Vaermina.

You... haven't actually read this story even once, have you?

Judging by 99% of their posts, I'd say that's pretty likely.

They absolutely are. There is nothing The Warp is capable of that a Power Ring can't also do, usually to a much higher level of power and precision than any Psyker or Warp Echo out there. The only "advantage" The Warp has over The Glow and its associated technologies is that Chaos has a fucking aneurism any time someone tries to research it, making progressing that field of knowledge exceptionally difficult.

Plus using the Warp runs a big risk of getting your soul raped, so aside from rings being at least as powerful, they're also a lot more safer.

I think he did it once, but I'm not completely sure.

Maybe it was the Renegade.

So 'designing' a tau capable of doing this might well require engineering one from scratch. A Sixth Caste, as it were. I don't see them wanting to take that step...

That may have been why Paul was interested in their genetic records.

So... Telling their soldiers about the kind of things they're likely to face actually lets them deal with the stress of it better. :p Gee, what an amazing idea!

Perfectly reasonable idea.

Which is why the Imperium will never implement it.

Be thankful their low warp presence makes belief in the Greater Good unlikely to spawn their own daemons...

Though their alien subjects are another matter.

I mentioned a while back a strange Warp entity that helped a Tau ship, which may have been an embodiment of the Greater Good.

Power Rings have allowed teleportation, time travel, universe hoping, and more all while providing a sufficiently adept user with the power to annihilate galaxies and fight gods that make even the most fanwank-y interpretations of The Four seem quaint in comparison.

Of course that power scale hardly matters in WTR since Zoat doesn't seem particularly inclined to allow the setting to get that strong, a move I can whole heartedly applaud because power scaling is for nerds, so Chaos is a galactic threat that can't tell what its own hands are doing most of the time at best, and Power Rings are far more reasonable than whatever the hell the comics are doing.
I will wait patiently while you dig up any instance of a Power Ring directly effecting 1300+ Solar systems at once.

if memory serves, I think in the death battle episode where ben 10 fights Hal Jordan they talk about the squirrel green lantern surviving reality being rewritten or maybe it was kilowog? they specifically describe him surviving the universe getting retconned, with a comic panel for reference and everything.

Hive Worlds have to import food. What you just described would kill most of the Imperium's industry, including the bit keeping the Emperor functioning. And yes, attacking Agri Worlds is a known way to weaken Hive Worlds.

Thanks, now I hate the setting even more.

But not the material physics fuckery of the necrons, who now rule everything

Are you 100% sure the Blank retrovirus wouldn't affect thejr organic parts? Or they are 100% machine?

No, because that's really hard. And because the necrons have killed them.

There is a lot of loss tech that didn't need warp to work that became lost due to the machine rebellion and Warp entities also without Warp using tech becomes like 1000% safer.

If the Necrons are too machine to be affected by the blank retrovirus then they probably can be affected by digital viruses and malware more so as they had a very long tie without anyone taking advantage of that weakness.

if memory serves, I think in the death battle episode where ben 10 fights Hal Jordan they talk about the squirrel green lantern surviving reality being rewritten or maybe it was kilowog? they specifically describe him surviving the universe getting retconned, with a comic panel for reference and everything.
Ch'p and Ub'x both survived, but everyone they knew and loved had now always lived different lives.

Are you 100% sure the Blank retrovirus wouldn't affect their organic parts?
Quite the opposite.
Or they are 100% machine?
Most are. The rest are already pariahs.
There is a lot of loss tech that didn't need warp to work that became lost due to the machine rebellion and Warp entities also without Warp using tech becomes like 1000% safer.
That's... Not how I remember the timeline at the start of Inquisition War. I don't remember humans ever developing a form of non-warp faster than light. Older fluff had humans using some webway portals, but that's about it.
If the Necrons are too machine to be affected by the blank retrovirus then they probably can be affected by digital viruses and malware more so as they had a very long tie without anyone taking advantage of that weakness.
Not really. Necrons don't network, and there's no one more advanced than them who could create it.
Either "a standardised test" or "standardised tests".
Thank you, corrected.

Not really. Necrons don't network, and there's no one more advanced than them who could create it.
Well, for the advancement, the Void Dragon might be advanced enough, and he presumably doesn't like the Necrons (unless you're holding to the old lore of the Necrons still serving the C'tan?). But he isn't any more friendly to humanity or other organics than the Necrons are.

I will wait patiently while you dig up any instance of a Power Ring directly effecting 1300+ Solar systems at once.

Replying to Vearmina.

Mogo.

In the same continuity where the universe was confirmed to be 100 TRILLION light years across he light the entire thing up, an act that would require so much energy as to be physically impossible under real physics. If you could shove that much charge into anything it would be instantly obliterated, reality screaming bloody murder as local spacetime collapses into a black hole the size of a super cluster and instantly annihilating anything past that point for many hundreds of millions of light years from the sudden spike of energy.

The fact that this didn't happen is likely because the writer/s didn't understand the first thing about the physics involved in this, but from an in-universe perspective we're forced to assume that his ring was able to force the universe to not die instantly, which is arguably even more impressive, since thermodynamics still... mostly works.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back