• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

"I'm fine. Take me to the next."

"They've been here for months already. If it would-."

"I said, that I'm fine."
Fine indeed. Freaked out, insecure, neurotic and emotional.

I do not see this ending well. Orion is actively avoiding rage enlightenment and his endurance is not limitless.

The minor is taking it remarkably well.

Were you expecting him o look a bit like his nio dad?

In the main comics continuity there is actually a thing where Orion has inherited something of Darkseid's grey skin and rocky appearance but uses Mother Box to cover it with an illusion of a more handsome and "normal" face because he hates that resemblance to his father. Not that there's any reason for OL to be able to see through a Mother Box illusion.

I wonder if Canis Minor would be a candidate for Fear enlightenment. None of the other lights seem like a good match... Except for Orange, perhaps.

Wonder if Orion is successful in mastering Red Light if he'd see the appeal of gathering liked-minded fellows to form a Red Lantern Corps made up of those full of righteous rage about the state of the universe and are driven to fight against it.

Were you expecting him o look a bit like his nio dad?

Honestly even Darkseid looked normal once, but his appearance partially changed when he desired to make people more intimidated by him

He's supposed to, without his motherbox disguising him. Barring the concrete skin and glowing red eyes of course.

New-Gods-v1-03.JPG

Likewise shown in the Kingdom Come version, where barring the beard he's just a pallet swap of Darkseid.

Butcher's Blood (part 15)
21st January 2013
11:58 GMT

I don't ask Orion how he's doing as he stalks along the subterranean passageway, because I can actually take a hint. His helmet's back on, and… He looked like he was managing it.

Ping.

"Can you see it?"

"Not… Yet."

We're not far away from places that people who've gone berserk are known to have worked. If there's a reservoir of the stuff then it should be possible for me to see it… Soon? Unless I can't see it unless it's already in someone, or if it's mostly outside conventional reality…

It's not as if there are a lot of people I can share information with on the subject.

My ring blinks.

"Illustres here."

"Darkstar Nguyen. I've got some bad news."

"About time. What is it?"

"Have you scanned for teleporter traces?"

I don't respond with 'no'. Instead, I scan for teleporter tr-.

"Oh."

"The locals haven't made any deal for any off-world visitor to use teleporters to assist in mining. I haven't spoken to the ruler yet, but I don't think he'll know anything about it."

"You haven't checked out the site, have you?"

"No, I'm leaving that for you and Orion. Unlike both of you, I don't think I could survive exposure to elemental rage blood. I'm going to see if I can get a description of any alien traders who've been through here recently."

"Good work. Keep it up."

I close the channel, then keep trying-.

Ping.

"What is this?"

Orion is… Staring at a section of rock floor-. Scan.

"Someone teleported a mass of rock out-."

"I can see that." He draws back his right fist. "I would know what they-."

"I can-! I can do that without bringing the mine down on our heads."

Ping.

He lowers his fist.

"Then do so."

I smile as he steps aside and generate a crumbler borer, then press it into the rock. The rock isn't anything special, and the concentration of metal in this area isn't high enough for them to think it was worth digging out. If there's anything-.

The wind blows past us as I breach the vacuum created by the teleportation, and a moment later the borer is fully through. I dismiss the construct.

"Alright, that-."

Orion jumps down, falling about two hundred metres-. The rock shakes as he lands, super strong legs easily absorbing the impact. I step forward after him, falling at a somewhat more sedate rate as I try and get a better scan result.

"Can you see anything?"
Primordial Presence.
"Something great and powerful was here. I can feel the echoes of its passing. But it is gone."

I lower myself into the cave, and… Yes, this isn't something they could get away with in most places. The amount of energy this type of teleporter uses… Leaves the rock completely smooth, fused along its boundary zone. It would be detected, not just by teleport sensors but by the fact that every circuit in the area would melt. Then the heat and seismograph readings, in case that wasn't enough.

"Could a normal teleporter move this… Butcher's Blood?"

"He said it could have melded with any local substance."

I form a small pneumatic drill construct and use it to hammer a hole in the floor until I'm through the metamorphic portion.

"Interesting that they knew exactly where to look, when the locals didn't have a precise location."

Ping.

"Neither did we have a precise location. Who could know about this?"

"Anyone… Who was around when the Maltusians were experimenting with the glow. My first guess would be Krona, but… Really, any of them. Merchants have been visiting this world for a long time, the existence of the Green Lantern Corps is common knowledge and the Orange Lantern Corps hasn't exactly been quiet. Plenty of people could have put things together."

"Mother Box, analyse every trace that their teleporter has left. I want their-."

Red light surrounds us, manifesting in the corporeal world! Fragmentary shapes, local people, a bear, a bull, a demon, not people but the tiny imprints that their rage has left on the red light. Some pass-. Pass around me, leaping, jumping, running, swimming for Orion.

Ping!

He yanks off his helmet and spreads out his arms as they hit.

"I know your rage! But it is nothing that I have not felt a hundred times! If you want to make Orion your fool-"

Ping.

He breathes in slowly, lowering his arms.

"-then you will need to do much more than that. Lantern! Can you see any more?"

"No. But I couldn't see that until it appeared."

"Rage calls to rage. It is contagious. Live surrounded by anger and you will often become angry yourself. The tiny spark of rage felt by these mortals opened them to infection. But my rage is greater, and it is ruled by me."

We take a closer look, and it does look like it's all… Merged with him, unlike it was with the local miners.

"Conclude your business with the Dals and Dars and whoever else of this world. I wish to use the astro-harness's sensors to track those who stole the Butcher's Blood."

"I-"

BOOM!

"-will. Illustres to Darkstar Nguyen."

"Go ahead."

"When you have those pictures, send me a copy. I want to show them around the other cities. I have a suspicion that someone's been up to something."

Last edited:
Hehe, Paul dealing with Orion is likely comparable to how other people deal with him. Working around someone who is so sure of himself and simply acts without thinking a lot.
I lower myself into the cave, and… Yes, this isn't something they could get away with in most places. The amount of energy this type of teleporter uses… Leaving the rock completely smooth, fused along its boundary zone. It would be detected, not just by teleport sensors but by the fact that every circuit in the area would melt. Then the heat and seismograph readings, in case that wasn't enough.
Sounds like setting off the super volcano was a smokescreen to steal the Butcher's Blood, giving the Dal bad info to hide how big of an effect it would have to make him do it and then port it out while everyone distracted.

Sensors that would have detected teleporting would not have been able to tell difference between it and volcano going off.

So Paul can't see it until it is active, yet someone else managed to locate and steal it?

That means New God level technology at least, right?

Or, as Orion explained, someone already has Red Light technology and the Blood reacted to it.

So, taken together, someone is kick starting their own Corps, or someone powerful is trying to deny Paul the Red Light. Unfortunately he has enough enemies that that does not narrow it down much...

21st January 2013
11:58 GMT

I don't ask Orion how he's doing as he stalks along the subterranean passageway, because I can actually take a hint. His helmet's back on, and… He looked like he was managing it.

Ping.
"Come on, sweetie, yo can hold it together... This is nothing, right?" I guess his own Rage is so large, that adding the taint of the Butcher's Blood is like a drop of dye in an olympic-sized swimming pool. Though it's probably more lively.

"Can you see it?"

"Not… Yet."
Which is worrying, if they're probing the mines. This place should have some trace of the Butcher's Blood.

We're not far away from places that people who've gone berserk are known to have worked. If there's a reservoir of the stuff then it should be possible for me to see it… Soon? Unless I can't see it unless it's already in someone, or if it's mostly outside conventional reality…

It's not as if there are a lot of people I can share information with on the subject.
To be fair, when working on a project this esoteric, a lot of the people you could work with are those you wouldn't want inside a parsec of it.

My ring blinks.

"Illustres here."

"Darkstar Nguyen. I've got some bad news."
...Uh-oh. I take it Jade's been checking in with the local authorities for more detailed information?

"About time. What is it?"

"Have you scanned for teleporter traces?"
Oh, that does not sound good.

I don't respond with 'no'. Instead, I scan for teleporter tr-.

"Oh."
Doubleplus ungood. Let me guess. Someone's already made off with the deposit?

"The locals haven't made any deal for any off-world visitor to use teleporters to assist in mining. I haven't spoken to the ruler yet, but I don't think he'll know anything about it."

"You haven't checked out the site, have you?"
...You do remember Jade is still a squishy regular human, right?

"No, I'm leaving that for you and Orion. Unlike both of you, I don't think I could survive exposure to elemental rage blood. I'm going to see if I can get a description of any alien traders who've been through here recently."

"Good work. Keep it up."
Good plan. It's likely someone has been collecting the Blood. But for what reason?

I close the channel, then keep trying-.

Ping.
"Excuse me, mister Lantern? We've got something here."

"What is this?"

Orion is… Staring at a section of rock floor-. Scan.
Looks like he's on the trail of something mystical.

"Someone teleported a mass of rock out-."

"I can see that." He draws back his right fist. "I would know what they-."
And a typical superheroic reaction to something in their way, huh?

"I can-! I can do that without bringing the mine down on our heads."

Ping.
"Stay calm, sweetie. Let him help." Mother Box as the voice of reason, as always.

He lowers his fist.

"Then do so."
Ah, it seems Orion's temper is fraying a little. So the Blood's taint is having a little effect on him.

I smile as he steps aside and generate a crumbler borer, then press it into the rock. The rock isn't anything special, and the concentration of metal in this area isn't high enough for them to think it was worth digging out. If there's anything-.

The wind blows past us as I breach the vacuum created by the teleportation, and a moment later the borer is fully through. I dismiss the construct.
Ah. Because of course they didn't think to counter-teleport anything in to offset the pressure differentials.

"Alright, that-."

Orion jumps down, falling about two hundred metres-. The rock shakes as he lands, super strong legs easily absorbing the impact. I step forward after him, falling at a somewhat more sedate rate as I try and get a better scan result.
Aw, not even an attempt at a superhero landing? Deadpool says 'Fie upon you! Fie!'

"Can you see anything?"
Primordial Presence.
"Something great and powerful was here. I can feel the echoes of its passing. But it is gone."
And within the last six months, if Kellen from yesterday is the most recent case of raging miners.

I lower myself into the cave, and… Yes, this isn't something they could get away with in most places. The amount of energy this type of teleporter uses… Leaving the rock completely smooth, fused along its boundary zone. It would be detected, not just by teleport sensors but by the fact that every circuit in the area would melt. Then the heat and seismograph readings, in case that wasn't enough.

"Could a normal teleporter move this… Butcher's Blood?"
So, not a small operation. Looks like they ripped out as much as they could around the deposit just to be on the safe side.

"He said it could have melded with any local substance."

I form a small pneumatic drill construct and use it to hammer a hole in the floor until I'm through the metamorphic portion.
I doubt they left anything behind. Not if their sensors could find it in the first place.

"Interesting that they knew exactly where to look, when the locals didn't have a precise location."

Ping.
"Perhaps they knew where it was beforehand. Someone is playing games with us...."

"Neither did we have a precise location. Who could know about this?"

"Anyone… Who was around when the Maltusians were experimenting with the glow. My first guess would be Krona, but… Really, any of them. Merchants have been visiting this world for a long time, the existence of the Green Lantern Corps is common knowledge and the Orange Lantern Corps hasn't exactly been quiet. Plenty of people could have put things together."
Mmm. Not hard to realise that if a Power Ring can come in one colour, and a second colour turns up, then there might be more. The only issue is colour symbolism...

"Mother Box, analyse every trace that their teleporter has left. I want their-."

Red light surrounds us, manifesting in the corporeal world! Fragmentary shapes, local people, a bear, a bull, a demon, not people but the tiny imprints that their rage has left on the red light. Some pass-. Pass around me, leaping, jumping, running, swimming for Orion.
Ah, he called down echoes of the Red Light, and the Butcher's Blood.

Ping!

He yanks off his helmet and spreads out his arms as they hit.
"Sweetie, calm down, this is not improving the situation!"

"I know your rage! But it is nothing that I have not felt a hundred times! If you want to make Orion your fool-"

Ping.
"Come on, Sweetie, don't be like that. You are not a fool."

He breathes in slowly, lowering his arms.

"-then you will need to do much more than that. Lantern! Can you see any more?"
...At least he's got a handle on it. I suppose knowing what people think of him just frustrates him more, though...

"No. But I couldn't see that until it appeared."

"Rage calls to rage. It is contagious. Live surrounded by anger and you will often become angry yourself. The tiny spark of rage felt by these mortals opened them to infection. But my rage is greater, and it is ruled by me."
...And OL is not really capable of feeling Rage that isn't coloured by his Avarice. The joy of Enlightenment.

We take a closer look, and it does look like it's all… Merged with him, unlike it was with the local miners.

"Conclude your business with the Dals and Dars and whoever else of this world. I wish to use the astro-harness's sensors to track those who stole the Butcher's Blood."
Let's not be too hasty. There may be other deposits here. Or they may find something useful about these unknown collectors.

Boy, rude. Fellow needs to learn to work with others...

"-will. Illustres to Darkstar Nguyen."

"Go ahead."

"When you have those pictures, send me a copy. I want to show them around the other cities. I have a suspicion that someone's been up to something."
The problem is whether said collectors even bothered to interact with the locals instead of quietly slipping into orbit, teleporting the mass and pissing off.

So. they've found a lead. A meager lead, but a lead nonetheless. Let's hope Orion has a little luck with the local energy traces. Because this is not looking like they're going to have much fortune. It will be interesting to see if there's a common thread to be found, if they visit other worlds. But until then... It all comes down to grunt work gathering information.

So Paul can't see it until it is active, yet someone else managed to locate and steal it?

Or, as Orion explained, someone already has Red Light technology and the Blood reacted to it.

So, taken together, someone is kick starting their own Corps, or someone powerful is trying to deny Paul the Red Light. Unfortunately he has enough enemies that that does not narrow it down much...
Atrocitus is literally in the middle of building his Lantern Corp this very moment.

Meaning it was likely him.

In Green Lantern the Animated Series. Which is functionally the same universe as Young Justice.
Replying to Vaermina: Yeah but he hasn't recruited Razor yet and I'm not sure how far along into the Green Lantern animated series Canon the current story is. I think we're still before that story began and I don't remember for how long the red lanterns had been operating by canon start.

Mr Zoat started writing this story before the events of the Green Lantern: TAS was made adjacent to the show's canon, so unless Mr Zoat says something, we can't assume that.
I think he mentioned something about Razor?

I think it may have been Weaponer Lysis.

Heck, this could be how she made the red ring in the Renegade timeline.

She and Harrold seem to be making a move.

Replying to Vaermina: Yeah but he hasn't recruited Razor yet and I'm not sure how far along into the Green Lantern animated series Canon the current story is. I think we're still before that story began and I don't remember for how long the red lanterns had been operating by canon start

Those two shoes are adjacent to each other, but they're not a 100% match, do things like the timeline for certain events will be different.

"Live surrounded by anger and you will often become angry yourself," this reminds me of what Malvolio's teacher, Priest, said about Green light side effects.

They didn't know the entire location; some (most?) was left for Orion to swallow. If they knew that it was locally melded to the rock, they could have just seen traces of each place a local got infected and triangulated the center. Advanced technology, but not, necessarily, that advanced.

Last edited:
Atrocitus is literally in the middle of building his Lantern Corp this very moment.

Meaning it was likely him.

When was it mentioned that Atrocitus is currently building his corps? Have I forgotten something?

You haven't forgotten anything. Vaermina is still headcanoning their own "improved" fic since they can't stand the one thats actually being written.

Atrocititus is still stuck on Ysmault, per Word of Zoat.

When was it mentioned that Atrocitus is currently building his corps? Have I forgotten something?

Zoat is adapting a storyline from the Green Lantern cartoon, that it turns out, was engineered by Atrocitus to recruit Razer into the red lantern corps.

So it's a natural enough assumption to make.

But as BR rightfully pointed out above, it's a wrong assumpton because Atrocitus is still imprisoned by the GLC.

In fact I remember Zoat mentioning that Atrocitus wouldn't make a Red Lantern Corps- he hates the GLC too much to emulate them.

So unless Zoat has changed his mind, which would be within his rights of course, Atrocitus would apparently do something else.

the Equestrian language was far less unified then it is today
"than"

"You have orange light in your soul. More than I do. Try calling on that, and just that."

Justice and righteousness are about more than personal desire. But I cannot deny that I would be far happier in myself if I lived in a just universe than I am living in this one.
Ascendant Godhead
The sword scintillates back into being, and now I can feel it, feel the construct, just as I feel the blade.
That gave me goosebump. Really intense stuff. Not just the part I quoted, but the entire thing with how Drusa and Alyn interacted together.

"That your happiness is the most important thing in the universe to me."

That's usef-.

No. No. That's stupid
I think that's the first time I've ever seen Drusa use fully orange speech other than when deliberately using her ring.

Now

Focus.

Don't think.

Focus.

Don't think.

It's easy to work like this, entirely in the now, all thought of what came before and what will come after banished from my mind. Who is that coward and traitor Agnie, who turned on her shipmates to live this half-life? Not me. Not here.
I really like how this one was started. Very interesting to see things from Agnie's point of view.

:confused:...Okay, a lot of godspeech, but the majority of it is just Knockout chanting 'Fight!'
I think it's cute how earnest she is.

Her head snaps back to the boom tube as she draws her-. Sword? Probably an Earth-sword with some sort of nonsensical ability.
Yes, she's used to earthling shenanigans.

Fortunately, with all the constructs Malvolio is using-

"I am entity Volthoom. Qwa-matter deployed."

-it's missed the more subtle uses of the green light.
Since when has Qwa-matter started to qualify as "subtle"?

I can't wait to see where this goes! Catching up is always a bitter-sweet feeling.

Since always. And in a similar vein, it's always been a matter of how much he cares about said hints.
Also how clear the hint is, which Zoat has used in this story as a problem from both sides (as in, someone tries to hint something at Paul and he thinks they're hinting at something else, or Paul tries to hint at something to another character and they fail to understand him, e.g. Paul basically calling Nabu a supervillain and Diana not realizing that he's calling Nabu a supervillain, since she 'knows' that he isn't - blanking on what episode that was, but it was before Nabu died).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back