• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

I'm going to assume Mannheim and his super robot are probably resistant to the gamma gong, but that would still be an extremely useful piece of tech to capture. More so if it can be replicated.

Ringing it once will freeze/paralyze/render motionless a room full of people. Twice will do that to a city, and three times to a planet. That could be quite helpful in this current crisis.

Moving beyond Earth, in Batman: the Brave and the Bold, it was able to separate Blue Beetle from his scarab. If it's replicable, and can do that in this continuity, that would be very useful against the Reach.

Ringing it once will freeze/paralyze/render motionless a room full of people. Twice will do that to a city, and three times to a planet. That could be quite helpful in this current crisis.

What? Really?
I hope 4 times is the solar system, 5 times the galaxy, and 6th the whole universe.

Pyrrhucy (part 15)
14th February 2013
15:33 GMT -5

I try moving my right arm, and nothing happens. I-. I can't blink? Blink or move my eyes. Breathing is.. difficult. There's a small amount of give, enough that I can take shallow breaths, but that's it. It's not much of a problem for me as the ring can oxygenate my body fine without me breathing, but the other three are going to have difficulty.

The man with the gong carefully puts it down on a stand before walking closer. Nohnar Ko steps out in front of us and salutes him.

"Sir."

"Good work, trooper." Ah, so that's Volgar Zo. "Introduce me to your prisoners."

I think he's pointing at me, but I can't move my eyes to check and he's right in the periphery of my visual field.

"This one is an Orange Lantern. Two rings. I don't know what that signifies."

"Where are they now?"

"In one of the pouches in his undersuit. But they acted as a conduit to the Apokoliptian mind control effect. They might just be broken now."

I try moving my arms again. Nothing. I never asked Diana about the gamma gong; it just sounded like a stupid gimmick weapon, and… Kanjar Ro just wasn't that big a part of their history and had no affect on Earth in general. Supposedly, three strikes on that thing will stop an entire world in its tracks. One strike stopped the Justice League, though I've got no idea how Kanjar Ro was planning on making them actively do his bidding.

How is it doing that?

Kalcan ne zes-.

Demonstrate visually.

"A yellow ring? I thought that only Sinestro had those." Volgar Zo steps right up close so that he's the only thing in my field of view. "Did you kill him? Or do you work for him?"

Since I can't move my eyes I can't roll-

"Oh! Silly me."

-them. The git smirks at me.

"And the others? The large one?"

The ring shows me a field of pressure surrounding me and the other three. Nothing around the Dhorian soldiers, which means that it's… Directed by intent?

Is the field strength decaying?

Ri-.

With images. Actually, make that the default.

Hm. No, it's not. It's completely constant. Not activating my tattoos that I can feel, so it's not magic. Not plasma or magnetic, I could break out of those easily enough. Is the field present anywhere else?

Yes. Around the gamma gong itself.

"He is called Eiling. He is monstrously strong. He made a hole from their dugout to their sewer by punching the soil. This one is Kadabra. He's… Some sort of technologist. The pointer in his hand is a multi-tool."

I don't think they're looking at me. Force field only goes that far, so… I try sending a filament outside the boundary. It doesn't work, the yellow band hitting the field and going no further. Alright, I've got just enough room around my body that if I separate the components I can create a cold gun. Let's try that.

"And the living ice statue?"

"They called him Icicle. I didn't see him do anything."

"Could he actually be a living ice statue?"

"I don't know, sir."

"There are a great many strange things on this planet." He enters my field of vision again as he walks away. "Trooper, head to medical and get your injuries checked."

"I feel fine, sir."

"And you may well be fine, but I'd rather be sure. If you are, get down to the armoury and get issued replacement equipment, then consider yourself dismissed for the duty cycle."

Cold gun in place, so-.

A roar of displaced air and the crackling of ice crystals exploding out of… Mahkent's hands! His angle isn't good and he can't really aim with his hands, but it looks like he can change the angle a little as an act of will. Ice coats a strip across the deck towards the gamma gong, enveloping Nohnar Ko and two other soldiers along the way but missing Volgar Zo as he dives aside!

And fire.

My cold beam scythes through the embarkation area, and-. Gets blocked by the plasma shields of every single Dhorian including Zo. Ko won't be wearing one, but there's no point shooting the only Dhorian here who isn't wearing a force field.

I can break shields, but my crumbler rounds are in my other rings' subspace pockets.

Can I crumble the gamma gong's paralysation field? Try that.

Still can't move my arms. Fire again, wide beam. The soldiers are wearing helmets, but it doesn't look like they have their own oxygen supplies. If I freeze the air completely, then they're stu-.

Every soldier except for Ko flashes blue and then vanishes.

Oh. They've all got teleport beacons, and we're on their ship. There's no reason why they couldn't just leave. Ko's still stuck and they had to leave the gamma gong behind, but we've got nowhere to go-.

That's ice. Frozen water. Not the gel that Leonard uses. He's going to suffocate.

Mahkent tried firing ice again, but it's… Sporadic, pulses of ice erupting where he points. I didn't think to ask how cold his ice comes out, though I doubt that he's giving it anything less than his best.

Okay. Next thing. Cold beam at the gamma gong itself. Let's see if that works. No visible response from the gong, but let's see if I can move…

A tiny amount, and if the structure of the thing works remotely like normal matter then it's currently sitting at absolute zero. I can't make it any colder, and if it can still function then there isn't anything else I can do to it with a cold… Beam.

Would a heat beam work? I think the cold beam technology could be used to excite molecular vibration rather than suppress it, but I don't really have a good enough theoretical understanding of the physics involved to make the modification on the fly. I think I need to try manipulating a different type.. of-.

Mahkent is using his pulses of ice to… Push the ice he's already created towards the gamma gong. I'm not entirely sure what will happen when his ice finally envelops it, but the areas already about as cold as I can make-.

What if we strike the thing? Ordinarily I'd say that hitting a hit-activated artefact you don't understand is a terrible idea, but since none of us have any better options I… It's probably worth it.

Mahkent's ice pile-up just misses enveloping the gong, building up over and around it. But his ice isn't that cold, so if I super-cool that bit…

The ice cracks, and a lump falls and strikes the gong on the top, causing a small vibration-.

I step forwards as the field effect ends, Kadabra and Mahkent stumbling as they regain mobility.

Eiling collapses bonelessly to the deck, just as a shimmering blue light heralds the arrival of the Dhorian marines.

Last edited:
I don't think they're looking at me. Force field only goes that far, so… I try sending a filament outside the boundary. It doesn't work, the yellow band hitting the field and going no further. Alright, I've got just enough room around my body that if I separate the components I can create a cold gun. Let's try that.
It took him months to figure out how to do this with the Orange Light, yet he can just instantly do it with the Yellow after wearing the ring for all of 20 minutes? I call bullshit.

Cold gun in place, so-.
Where did he get the cold gun from? Yellow Rings can't do matter transmutation. And as mentioned later his subspace pocket is locked

Where did he get the cold gun from? Yellow Rings can't do matter transmutation. And as mentioned later his subspace pocket is locked
Considering how useful Paul finds it, he probably had the simplest version memorized as best as he can so that he can make it with a ring even if he isn't able to use his ring to maintain perfect recall.

Ring-slinging is a transferrable skill. He can't do anything esoteric with Fear, not like he can with Avarice, but the basic bread and butter Lantern stuff? Easy-peasy.
It absolutely is not.

With Orange Light you just have to want something badly enough and it magically happens. With the other lights you have to be able to perfectly invision whatever it is you want to create, and then focus that through the resulting emotion.

And filaments and matter transmutation are absolutely esoteric stuff given even the strongest most skilled greens can't really pull those things off with any reliability.

And that's not even counting he had the ring directly uploading visual information to his brain. Which is again. Not actually a thing anything but Orange is supposed to be able to do. And even with Orange that took Paul a lot of practice before he could figure it out safely.

And that's not even counting he had the ring directly uploading visual information to his brain. Which is again. Not actually a thing anything but Orange is supposed to be able to do

Replying to Vaermina.

Alan did it before, so has Guy. Try a different one, you might actually have a point.

14th February 2013
15:33 GMT -5

I try moving my right arm, and nothing happens. I-. I can't blink? Blink or move my eyes. Breathing is.. difficult. There's a small amount of give, enough that I can take shallow breaths, but that's it. It's not much of a problem for me as the ring can oxygenate my body fine without me breathing, but the other three are going to have difficulty.

The man with the gong carefully puts it down on a stand before walking closer. Nohnar Ko steps out in front of us and salutes him.
Some kind of stasis field, certainly. That is basically what a Gamma Gong does. But the mechanics of how has always been uncertain. Focused gravitational effects, Mass Effect-style? Precisely aligned forcefields? Temporal compression of some sort? Psionic control matrix? I wonder if the Dhorians made the tech themselves, or stole it from someone else.

"Sir."

"Good work, trooper." Ah, so that's Volgar Zo. "Introduce me to your prisoners."
I'm guessing the fact that he's likely in either lighter armour or more decorated gear would also be a hint.

I think he's pointing at me, but I can't move my eyes to check and he's right in the periphery of my visual field.

"This one is an Orange Lantern. Two rings. I don't know what that signifies."
Technically three, given the Yellow-hacked Indigo Ring he's wearing.

"Where are they now?"

"In one of the pouches in his undersuit. But they acted as a conduit to the Apokoliptian mind control affect. They might just be broken now."
Which is probably troublesome, but fixable, especially if OL can get out of this. I mean, worst case, he can greediport out of there, even if it means leaving the others behind...

I try moving my arms again. Nothing. I never asked Diana about the gamma gong; it just sounded like a stupid gimmick weapon, and… Kanjar Ro just wasn't that big a part of their history and had no affect on Earth in general. Supposedly, three strikes on that thing will stop an entire world in its tracks. One strike stopped the Justice League, though I've got no idea how Kanjar Ro was planning on making them actively do his bidding.

How is it doing that?
If I guess correctly, hostages. As in, Earth itself would get the three-strikes treatment if they didn't, I would assume.

Kalcan ne zes-.

Demonstrate visually.
Man, if only he could reset the user language. Too bad even the options menu is in Nok-speak. :p

"A yellow ring? I thought that only Sinestro had those." Volgar Zo steps right up close so that he's the only thing in my field of view. "Did you kill him? Or do you work for him?"

Since I can't move my eyes I can't roll-
He's certainly well-informed, at least. Though Sinestro is a galactic fugitive, so the Guardians probably made it known far and wide that he's a wanted man.

"Oh! Silly me."

-them. The git smirks at me.
...Okay, now I'm rooting for his ass to get kicked first.

"And the others? The large one?"

The ring shows me a field of pressure surrounding me and the other three. Nothing around the Dhorian soldiers, which means that it's… Directed by intent?
Which is pretty damn advanced, given the rest of their gear. Definitely lends credence to 'stolen science'.

Is the field strength decaying?

Ri-.

With images. Actually, make that the default.
Yeah, that kind of backtalk would get real annoying real fast.

Hm. No, it's not. It's completely constant. Not activating my tattoos that I can feel, so it's not magic. Not plasma or magnetic, I could break out of those easily enough. Is the field present anywhere else?

Yes. Around the gamma gong itself.
So it's projecting the effect consistently while active. Interesting. Would be awkward if the user inadvertently gonged themself. :p

"He is called Eiling. He is monstrously strong. He made a hole from their dugout to their sewer by punching the soil. This one is Kadabra. He's… Some sort of technologist. The pointer in his hand is a multi-tool."

And for those calling 'bullshit', remember: Leonard Snart built his original gun in a prison workshop. With a box of scraps. The only exotic thing needed for it is the unusual physics tricks it generates. And OL likely has the most basic design memorised, just in case.

"And the living ice statue?"

"They called him Icicle. I didn't see him do anything."
Though it's not unreasonable to make assumptions of his abilities based on his appearance, is it?

"Could he actually be a living ice statue?"

"I don't know, sir."
There are stranger phenotypes on Earth. Clay men, metal men, rock men. Name an elemental substance , and you can guarantee someone's been turned into it or is otherwise made of it...

"There are a great may strange things on this planet." He enters my field of vision again as he walks away. "Trooper, head to medical and get your injuries checked."

"I feel fine, sir."
Oh, you have no idea, captain. And you may not want to annoy some of them. Like you have here.

"And you may well be fine, but I'd rather be sure. If you are, get down to the armoury and get issued replacement equipment, then consider yourself dismissed for the duty cycle."

Cold gun in place, so-.
Well, at least the Dhorian guy gets the rest of the day off. Understandable.

A roar of displaced air and the crackling of ice crystals exploding out of… Mahkent's hands! His angle isn't good and he can't really aim with his hands, but it looks like he can change the angle a little as an act of will. Ice coats a strip across the deck towards the gamma gong, enveloping Nohnar Ko and two other soldiers along the way but missing Volgar Zo as he dives aside!

And fire.
Impressive that his power works beyond the sheathe of whatever-it-is that the Gong has them trapped in.

My cold beam scythes through the embarkation area, and-. Gets blocked by the plasma shields of every single Dhorian including Zo. Ko won't be wearing one, but there's no point shooting the only Dhorian here who isn't wearing a force field.

I can break shields, but my crumbler rounds are in my other rings' subspace pockets.
And I doubt it's as easy to make a Crumbler construct, and not much point trying since it would be next to your own skin.

Can I crumble the gamma gong's paralysation field? Try that.

Still can't move my arms. Fire again, wide beam. The soldiers are wearing helmets, but it doesn't look like they have their own oxygen supplies. If I freeze the air completely, then they're stu-.
So whatever it is, the field is not truly physical in that sense.

Every soldier except for Ko flashes blue and then vanishes.

Oh. They've all got teleport beacons, and we're on their ship. There's no reason why they couldn't just leave. Ko's still stuck and they had to leave the gamma gong behind, but we've got nowhere to go-.
Hopefully their next move isn't to flood the cell with knockout gases. Though that does run the risk of killing their friendlies and all of you, depending on strength.

That's ice. Frozen water. Not the gel that Leonard uses. He's going to suffocate.

Mahkent tried firing ice again, but it's… Sporadic, pulses of ice erupting where he points. I didn't think to ask how cold his ice comes out, though I doubt that he's giving it anything less than his best.
And I doubt even he really knows how it works, only that it does.

Okay. Next thing. Cold beam at the gamma gong itself. Let's see if that works. No visible response from the gong, but let's see if I can move…

A tiny amount, and if the structure of the thing works remotely like normal matter then it's currently sitting at absolute zero. I can't make it any colder, and if it can still function then there isn't anything else I can do to it with a cold… Beam.
Okay, there is no way that the gong is technological, then. Nothing is that resilient.

Would a heat beam work? I think the cold beam technology could be used to excite molecular vibration rather than suppress it, but I don't really have a good enough theoretical understanding of the physics involved to make the modification on the fly. I think I need to try manipulating a different type.. of-.

Mahkent is using his pulses of ice to… Push the ice he's already created towards the gamma gong. I'm not entirely sure what will happen when his ice finally envelops it, but the areas already about as cold as I can make-.
Hopefully it doesn't shatter without releasing them. That would be especially annoying.

What if we strike the thing? Ordinarily I'd say that hitting a hit-activated artefact you don't understand is a terrible idea, but since none of us have any better options I… It's probably worth it.

Mahkent's ice pile-up just misses enveloping the gong, building up over and around it. But his ice isn't that cold, so if I super-cool that bit…

The ice cracks, and a lump falls and strikes the gong on the top, causing a small vibration-.
Teamwork!

I step forwards as the field effect ends, Kadabra and Mahkent stumbling as they regain mobility.

Eiling collapses bonelessly to the deck, just as a shimmering blue light heralds the arrival of the Dhorian marines.
Well, hopefully, they don't have a second gong, or this would already be over.

And right back to where they started, but at least this time they can move. I suspect OL's first action will be to snag the captain as a hostage against the Dhorian troops just laying in with plasma fire. But what next? They've shown they're willing to perform a double-cross, so how can they be trusted to play nice? I guess OL will have to put his more general Ring-slinging skills to use...

"There are a great may strange things on this planet."
"There are a great many strange things on this planet."

I'm failing to understand what's happening here. He's creating the cold gun in however many millimetres of space are around him, right? How is that enough space for a cold gun construct, even if it is distributed to be less compact? What am I missing? Is he disintegrating parts of his own body to fit the cold gun in there?

I'm failing to understand what's happening here. He's creating the cold gun in however many millimetres of space are around him, right? How is that enough space for a cold gun construct, even if it is distributed to be less compact? What am I missing? Is he disintegrating parts of his own body to fit the cold gun in there?

I would assume that, mechanically speaking, a cold gun is mostly power storage and ergonomics in the hands of a normal person based off of this, so the actual molecular movement suppression and beam projection are, or at least can be, very small. And since he's working with a Power Ring he doesn't have to worry about batteries or actually holding the thing, thus being able to fit it in however little space he has.

Could also be phasing it through is own body somehow? That would be new, certainly worth a mention at least if he was, but not entirely surprising. Or just doing as the comics do sometimes and skipping the projection entirely for just making the physics happen, though I doubt that one.

That would also work!

It's not like a cold gun needs a barrel; it doesn't fire projectiles, it projects an effect. It's just shaped like a gun out of UX considerations. So you can probably just lay the parts out in parallel rather than in gun form.

I'm actually fine with Paul being pretty talented with the yellow ring.

There was that entire fear elemental thing where he walked the guy through becoming fear enlightened. If he wasn't already focused on orange enlightenment he could probably have moved right onto fear after that.

vaermina raises a good point here, he should be limited purely to Physical Constructs and Yellow Energy beams shouldn't he?
Not exactly. He can't do anything complicated and original, but he's used cold guns so much that he actually knows how to make them. He could make a physical one if he had a workshop.

Jordan can make construct planes and missiles the same way. He doesn't need AI assistance because he's worked with them so much that he knows how they work.
"There are a great many strange things on this planet."
Thank you, corrected.
As I said in the quoted text, he doesn't have room to create a cold gun. However, he can create the parts of a cold gun in different places. Imagine a railgun. Normally the rail, the battery, the capacitor and the trigger would be a single unit. However, they don't have to be. You can put the battery in a backpack, for example.

IIRC, there's a thing in the story called a gemburner that makes thing hot using the same principals as a cold gun.

As I said in the quoted text, he doesn't have room to create a cold gun. However, he can create the parts of a cold gun in different places. Imagine a railgun. Normally the rail, the battery, the capacitor and the trigger would be a single unit. However, they don't have to be. You can put the battery in a backpack, for example.
Yeah, I understood that part. I just didn't think that even with that it could fit in such a small space. But if it can then it can.

He already has experience with fear from when he recruited that fear elemental to kill Nabu. He also has a talent for translating things into different emotional frameworks.

And he remembers the Fear Enlightened version of him from the Thundercats reboot. Admittedly, that Paul supplemented his yellow ring with magic, such as invoking the Ancient Spirits of Evil, but still...

Got to assume when fighting death worlders who are in the process of fighting off an apocalyptian invasion that any margin will be immediately used against you.

I do like that Icicle Jr also immediately broke out. Have to figure Kadabra comes up with something if they give him a few minutes.

It absolutely is not.
With Orange Light you just have to want something badly enough and it magically happens. With the other lights you have to be able to perfectly invision whatever it is you want to create, and then focus that through the resulting emotion.
And filaments and matter transmutation are absolutely esoteric stuff given even the strongest most skilled greens can't really pull those things off with any reliability.
And that's not even counting he had the ring directly uploading visual information to his brain. Which is again. Not actually a thing anything but Orange is supposed to be able to do. And even with Orange that took Paul a lot of practice before he could figure it out safely.
Ugh, I have to agree with Vaermina again.
It's not even THAT easy. You can't just make any damned thing with a yellow ring, someone has to fear it. Wanting a filament to go out that way works with orange, but if your enemy doesn't grasp the significance, who's going to fear a yellow filament? Not you, you're the one using it. Not them, they have no context. Yellow constructs are pulled from enemy's fears, or your own. You can't just shape them arbitrarily, though they can act somewhat autonomously because they inherit the behavior your subject is afraid of. Fear beats Will because no matter what green construct you make, or how much you will it to hold, the yellow light knows what shape you fear will make it fail, and makes that shape. Then your Will crumbles as you realize that fear's coming true, and it breaks through your construct just as you feared. It's all well and good to say you have nothing to fear but fear itself, until fear itself actually fucking shows up.

Ugh, I have to agree with Vaermina again.
It's not even THAT easy. You can't just make any damned thing with a yellow ring, someone has to fear it. Wanting a filament to go out that way works with orange, but if your enemy doesn't grasp the significance, who's going to fear a yellow filament? Not you, you're the one using it. Not them, they have no context. Yellow constructs are pulled from enemy's fears, or your own. You can't just shape them arbitrarily, though they can act somewhat autonomously because they inherit the behavior your subject is afraid of. Fear beats Will because no matter what green construct you make, or how much you will it to hold, the yellow light knows what shape you fear will make it fail, and makes that shape. Then your Will crumbles as you realize that fear's coming true, and it breaks through your construct just as you feared. It's all well and good to say you have nothing to fear but fear itself, until fear itself actually fucking shows up.
The canon induction process for members of the Sinestro Corps was to make a drained ring flare while being bombarded with images of their own fears. No other person was in there with them.

the-tale-of-sinestro-corps-member-bedovian-1-e1509964810198.jpg

When the SI makes an orange filament it comes from his desire to reach out and change something. When he uses a yellow one it comes from the controlled harnessing of his fear of losing control. If someone nearby feared him or feared his filaments, they would be stronger, but the process of creating them wouldn't change.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back