• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

I really hate Darkseid.

It sounds childish and it probably is, but I despise how great of an effect he's had on Earth 16, and just for his own amusement and satisfaction at that.

In response, they've made the prototype of a weapon that can hurt him where it counts. First test isn't going great, but it still may turn out to be a pyrrhic victory.

Guys guys guys guys guys

I just realized who can help them in their moment of crisis

Who has beaten Darkseid again and again

Who embodies everything the Anti-Life tries to destroy

Who is based on Earth

SANTA CLAUS!!!

Guys guys guys guys guys

Who is based on Earth

SANTA CLAUS!!!
To be fair, Santa never beats Darkseid one on one. He gets in and gets out of APokalyps every year and can doge the Omega Effect so it's not like he'd be useless, but he's far from a sure bet.

Guys guys guys guys guys

Who is based on Earth

SANTA CLAUS!!!

I'm still half-expecting this to end with Darkseid himself squishing Mannheim like a bug, for having become too much like his new master.

There, after all, can be only one.

Do Or Die Time (part 17)
17th February 2013
Eris Knows

"…reason to eradicate the rapscallions, yet you stayed your hand…"

I look around but can't see a thing aside from the wisp of Alan. Sounds like Malvolio's found Batman. On the other hand-

It was the right thing to do, right? You get an opening, you take it.

-I think I can hear Mannheim justifying this to himself. Telling himself that he did nothing wrong. Telling himself something that he knows to be untrue because he believes that he's powerless to do anything about it. Okay, this is starting to-.

The black stops retreating and I fly into it-.

Idon'twannaIdon'twann…

Guh!

"You okay there?"

"I'll live."

I look… Up, and I can just about make out the millions of tendrils reaching out, each a crushed hope, a thwarted or counterproductive desire, a moment of destructive rage

"I guess we're here."

"And what about everyone else?"

"Hopefully they'll sense us when we start."

"And… How do we do that?"

"Each of these strands connects to an element of his psyche. Grab one relating to hope and try and wake his up. You'll probably need to use the white light to get in. I'll show you."

I thought that touching the white light on my own would be hard. But… I don't know if it's enlightenment, the others being here, Nommo being here… It's not hard. It's almost harder not to.

Whu-?

Hello, Mister Mannheim.

You don't want to be controlled by people, do you? You pushed out Morgan Edge for a reason. Even though the relationship was profitable, you didn't want him there. So how do you feel about this?

I-I can't…

That's the Anti-Life talking. It's lying. Darkseid is lying right into your brain.

It… Wasn't like this… To start with…

It's not an issue of what it was or wasn't. It's an issue of WHAT YOU WANT.

The strand I grabbed onto evaporates. I guess I made my point. I hope I did, anyway. I feel around-. There goes another one. And another, and all the ones with orange associations are evaporating. Excellent.

"Alan, you're up."

His flame flickers for a moment, and then-.

"Huh."

"Yes?"

"I've done a lotta good."

"Ah, yes, you're a superhero."

"No, I mean… I guess a lotta the time… I don't.. see it. I don't see people going on and living improved lives because of me, I just get that one moment of crisis. But the white light, it's… Showing me things."

Interesting, and I'm glad that he's getting the extra motivation, but it's not really relevant.

"Bruno, what did you want to be when you were a kid?"

He waits for a moment.

"Huh, really? Well, we're gunna need a whole lot of those when this mess is over. You could give it a shot."

And… Yes. More strands collapse and fade.

Everyone, we're over here!

The all-enveloping black.. doesn't fade, but it's pulled back, thinner than it was before. In the distance I can see tiny flecks of colour-.

I throw out orange strands made of my desire to resolve this crisis towards each of them-. The green and yellow are already heading this way, but the red… I can barely see the red.

I feel it as my strands connect to Batman and Malvolio as tethers. Which means that I should be able to communicate with them.

"Orange Lantern here. New plan. Bruno Mannheim's original personality is still in here. If we eliminate the Anti-Life infection working on him, that should finish this."

"He shall regret-"

And their flames are there, Anti-Life strands burned away from them.

"-clasping us to his bosom."

"Not exactly. As I said, he's become increasingly like Darkseid. But it's got to the point where it's entirely left his original personality behind, and that's still in here. I think that the simplest way to handle this is to purify him."

"And what of justice, for all he has wrought?"

"Do you torture criminals before executing them?"

"Nay. T'would be better for him to answer for his crimes in his right mind. How may this be done?"

"You can create a link by touching the white light, then it's up to you to make him… In your case, regain the impetus to focus his own will."

I look-. Batman shimmers for a moment, throwing off the Anti-Life strands frantically trying to reconnect to him. Then-.

"Done."

Another batch of strands detach, another part of the blackness opens up.

"Any man who could do this must have some measure of will."

Leave him to it, and look for Carol and Orion. Carol is a little closer, but I can see dozens of Anti-Life strands trying to connect to her. Orion has fewer attackers, but it looks like they're further into him. I should prioritise him.

A new orange strand made of an understandable desire to tear apart the Anti-Life and an instant later I feel it connect.

"Orion-."

"You! You did this to me!"

Last edited:
"…reason to eradicate the rapscallions, yet you stayed you hand…"
That should say 'your'.

You don't want to be controlled by people, do you? You pushed out Morgan Edge for a reason. Even thought the relationship was profitable, you didn't want him there. So how do you feel about this?
That should say 'though'.

I feel it at my strands connect to Batman and Malvolio as tethers. Which means that I should be able to communicate with them.
That should say 'as'.

Leave him to it, and look for Carol and Orion. Carol is a little closer, but I can see dozens of Anti-Life strands trying to connect to her. Orion has fewer attackers, but it looks like they're got further into him. I should prioritise him.
That should either say "they've gotten further" or "they're further".

I guess Paul is going to have to deal with Orion's issue sooner than expected. I can get that Orion is angry at the changes to his body and soul, but he signed up for this when Paul made the offer. Hopefully Paul can cause him to start channeling that hate and rage into a positive direction rather than lashing out at allies, hating himself for what he's become, and mindlessly trying to destroy everything related to Darkseid.

The strand I grabbed onto evaporates. I guess I made my point. I hope I did, anyway. I feel around-. There goes another one. And another, and all the ones with orange associations are evaporating. Excellent.

"Alan, you're up."

"Huh."

"Yes?"

"No, I mean… I guess a lotta the time… I don't.. see it. I don't see people going on and living improved lives because of me, I just get that one moment of crisis. But the white light, it's… Showing me things."
Will be interesting to see what it does to Paul.

Yes, yes he did.

Because he absolutely wanted to use you for his own gain with no real consideration for what it would do to you.

17th February 2013
Eris Knows

"…reason to eradicate the rapscallions, yet you stayed you hand…"

I look around but can't see a thing aside from the wisp of Alan. Sounds like Malvolio's found Batman. On the other hand-
For all you know, the lot of you are standing there practically shoulder-to-shoulder, each able to see only as far as you can reach. I don't think distance really has any meaning in this place. It's all a state of mind, really.

It was the right thing to do, right? You get an opening, you take it.

-I think I can hear Mannheim justifying this to himself. Telling himself that he did nothing wrong. Telling himself something that he knows to be untrue because he believes that he's powerless to do anything about it. Okay, this is starting to-.
Self-deception can be the strongest form of lying, sometimes. We want to believe the lies we tell ourselves...

The black stops retreating and I fly into it-.

Idon'twannaIdon'twann…
Looks like he's found some sort of inner border.

Guh!

"You okay there?"
...A border that doesn't want anyone crossing it, it seems.

"I'll live."

I look… Up, and I can just about make out the millions of tendrils reaching out, each a crushed hope, a thwarted or counterproductive desire, a moment of destructive rage
Painted in an infinite number of shades of black...

"I guess we're here."

"And what about everyone else?"
Make some noise, they'll probably find you.

"Hopefully they'll sense us when we start."

"And… How do we do that?"
Not sure if OL's thought that far ahead. He's operating in the classic hero manner right now: Making it up as he goes.

"Each of these strands connects to an element of his psyche. Grab one relating to hope and try and wake his up. You'll probably need to use the white light to get in. I'll show you."

I thought that touching the white light on my own would be hard. But… I don't know if it's enlightenment, the others being here, Nommo being here… It's not hard. It's almost harder not to.
Let's hope it doesn't stay that way once you're out. Touching the light of Life is not something to be done casually.

Whu-?

Hello, Mister Mannheim.
Always pays to be polite, especially to an old-school gangster like Big Brucey.

You don't want to be controlled by people, do you? You pushed out Morgan Edge for a reason. Even thought the relationship was profitable, you didn't want him there. So how do you feel about this?

I-I can't…
Does seem a little nasty to have done that, but you want what you want...

That's the Anti-Life talking. It's lying. Darkseid is lying right into your brain.

It… Wasn't like this… To start with…
At this point, he's lying in Mannheim's soul like it's a comfy bed...

It's not an issue of what it was or wasn't. It's an issue of WHAT YOU WANT.

Is it? Is the Anti-Life losing it's grip on, or is he losing all desire completely?

"Alan, you're up."

Gotta remember, OL, Alan hasn't invested as many skill points in the more esoteric branches of the Lantern role skill tree as you have.

Having a moment of introspection, Alan?

A chance that, in the end, you wouldn't have now if not for OL... Funny how life is.

Interesting, and I'm glad that he's getting the extra motivation, but it's not really relevant.
What, you don't think the Life Entity could lend a hand to defend itself through you?

"Bruno, what did you want to be when you were a kid?"

He waits for a moment.
Heh. Good tack. How many of us are where we thought we'd be when we were ten?

"Huh, really? Well, we're gunna need a whole lot of those when this mess is over. You could give it a shot."

And… Yes. More strands collapse and fade.
Heh. Leaves a lot of possibilities as to what it was.

Everyone, we're over here!

The all-enveloping black.. doesn't fade, but it's pulled back, thinner than it was before. In the distance I can see tiny flecks of colour-.
It's good to see that you're starting to make some headway, at least.

I throw out orange strands made of my desire to resolve this crisis towards each of them-. The green and yellow are already heading this way, but the red… I can barely see the red.

I feel it at my strands connect to Batman and Malvolio as tethers. Which means that I should be able to communicate with them.
Probably feel strange as hell, given this place seems to allow for far deeper links than normal.

"Orange Lantern here. New plan. Bruno Mannheim's original personality is still in here. If we eliminate the Anti-Life infection working on him, that should finish this."

"He shall regret-"
You hope it will, anyway. If nothing else, it'll leave the Anti-Life without a mortal mind to work through, which seems important for it.

And their flames are there, Anti-Life strands burned away from them.

"-clasping us to his bosom."
To be fair, Malvolio, now you're inside all his defences. Imagine trying to bash through the Anti-Life using the White Light as a battering ram.

"Not exactly. As I said, he's become increasingly like Darkseid. But it's got to the point where it's entirely left his original personality behind, and that's still in here. I think that the simplest way to handle this is to purify him."

"And what of justice, for all he has wrought?"
Or, for all you know, there'll be two Mannheims after this. One mortal, one a clone of Darkseid...

"Do you torture criminals before executing them?"

"Nay. T'would be better for him to answer for his crimes in his right mind. How may this be done?"
At least he's being reasonable about it. No 'eye for an eye' logic here. Not until Mannheim can understand that he did wrong.

"You can create a link by touching the white light, then it's up to you to make him… In your case, regain the impetus to focus his own will."

I look-. Batman shimmers for a moment, throwing off the Anti-Life strands frantically trying to reconnect to him. Then-.
I imagine Mannheim's fears are pretty simple right now...

"Done."

Another batch of strands detach, another part of the blackness opens up.
...Heh.I suppose it was a fairly low-difficulty skill check there.

"Any man who could do this must have some measure of will."

Leave him to it, and look for Carol and Orion. Carol is a little closer, but I can see dozens of Anti-Life strands trying to connect to her. Orion has fewer attackers, but it looks like they're got further into him. I should prioritise him.
What about Balewa? Or are you trusting that he can make it here on his own?

A new orange strand made of an understandable desire to tear apart the Anti-Life and an instant later I feel it connect.

"Orion-."

I mean, you did agree to it. No regrets now, New God.

Well, looks like Orion is going to be troublesome after all. Unless OL can get him pointed at the right target, and convince him to help out. If anything, Orion would be a little more comfortable with this kind of connection than the rest of them... Though I have the feeling it'll take agreeing to let Orion kill him after they're out, as promised back when he got the Red Ring.

Not true. He told Orion that accessing the red light would probably affect him, and Orion agreed to do it as it would help him fight Darkseid.
He weasel worded so Orion would think the potential effects were both known and minimal.

Because if Orion had known "this could turn you into a rage monster" he never would have gone along with it. And yes, Paul knew that was a possibility. Because "rage monster" is one of the things that sometimes happened in the comics.

He weasel worded so Orion would think the potential effects were both known and minimal.

Because if Orion had known "this could turn you into a rage monster" he never would have gone along with it. And yes, Paul knew that was a possibility. Because "rage monster" is one of the things that sometimes happened in the comics.
He told Highfather, who definitely knew what it could lead to, which is why he was so hesitant to let Orion help Paul. And Orion was told that it would affect his mind, with no guarantees as to how bad it would affect him.

He told Highfather, who definitely knew what it could lead to, which is why he was so hesitant to let Orion help Paul. And Orion was told that it would affect his mind, with no guarantees as to how bad it would affect him.
Unfortunately, it seems that it affecting his mind is exactly why his mind is being unreasonable.

Do Or Die Time (part 18)
17th February 2013
But Probably Doesn't Care

Orion has kept his shape more than the rest of us, a privilege of being a New God I suppose. It's red with white detailing, and lets him clench his right fist while I can't even make a barrier.

"Darkseid did this to you. Anti-Life did this to you. If you focus, focus your rage as you should, and we will win."

He reaches-. He grabs onto me and this idiot is going to ruin everything! We're so close!

"Do you know how many times Father has exposed me to his Anti-Life? I know the touch, the feeling, but never has it invaded my soul so thoroughly as it has today!"

"Is it touching you right now!?"

"Is-?"

He recoils, tossing me ugh-. Tossing me aside and I hope he finds it that easy to make Mannheim angry, because I-. I don't usually get that angry.

"Done and done."

Malvolio moves away from the wall. Strands fade and I can almost see through the murk clearly. I don't know what effect this is having on the world, but I'm confident that it will work.

"Mannheim has been trapped in this malaise for at least a month. Probably much longer. What's the longest that you've ever been under?"

Orion keeps glaring at me as he slams his white-coated hand onto the wall, continuing to maintain eye contact with me as the white and red light that makes up his body roils.

"Ah." The white-indigo flame of Nommo arrives, towing Carol just behind it. "Then the world is not doomed. A most pleasant surprise."

"I need you to inspire Mannheim's original personality with your-."

"Yes, I see. Star Sapphire, are you well enough to make the attempt?"

"I will.. endure."

Great. Great.

"What exactly happens when we're done, Paul?"

Alan's drifted back a little to give the others space, parrying the few remaining strands trying to connect to him.

"We call the white light through Mannheim, and destroy the core of this place. If that doesn't shut the whole thing down, we fly around and use the white light to erase everything. If that doesn't get us back to the material world… Um. I don't know. It would depend on what this Anti-Life plane is when there's no Anti-Life in it."

"That's a nice problem to have. But why do you think Mannheim-. The Mannheim on the outside, thanked us?"

"If I hadn't heard Malvolio, he might have got me. If we'd tried using another Green Lantern -even Guy- he might have fully Anti-Lifed us both. And the connection goes both ways."

"So.. everything that feels emotion would… Would get Anti-Life exposure right away?"

"Yes. But..." I 'look around'. "If I understand what this place is correctly, then he was about to do that anyway. The thaumosphere is interconnected, and he's just demonstrated that he could consume entire realms. He'd have pressed on-."

"He'd have eaten everything." I hear a sigh. "You know, first time Jay and I worked together we stopped a couple of guys doing an insurance scam at a shoe factory. I ever tell you about that?"

"No, but I think Kid Flash mentioned it."

"I don't mind stepping up, but I gotta be honest with you. This.. is…"

"Yeah. Fortunately, rebuilding human civilisation should be simple, if not quick or-"

"It is done."

"-easy. Thank you, Orion."

I get 'nods' from Carol and Nommo as the last of the strands fade away, leaving us with a giant… It's a sphere. Okay.

"Right, good work everyone. White light time again, but this time we need to generate it inside Mannheim."

I feel Alan 'looking' at me again. "How?"

"Resonance. Mystic entanglement. Connect the emotion in you to the emotion in him and then we all connect together."

Which shouldn't be hard for me at least. We both want to be out of here, and we both want the Anti-Life-

…the Anti-Life finally gone.

-gone. Good. Maintain that feeling, and wait for the others.

Alan's next, and then Carol. I don't know much about Mannheim's personal life so I'm not sure what the link there was, but the important thing is that it's done. Malvolio, Nommo, Batman and after a brief delay Orio-.

Oh gods.

I see the hopes long put aside for grim reality, suddenly made possible once more.

I feel the need to be loved when your lifestyle just doesn't allow it.

I see the ruthless resolve with which Malvolio/Mannheim forged an empire in the stars/of crime.

I see Nommo/Mannheim let a child flee the scene of a battle/robbery rather than be enslaved/taken hostage.

I feel the fear of not being about to-.

Oh. Damn me.

To trust anyone around me, to truly drop my guard.

And the rage at being a pawn, kept in ignorance and no matter what I do, used for other people!

I feel it all.

Bands of white light explode outwards from the black sphere, punching through and tearing free! Mannheim floats, white light radiating out of his body as the black all around us is-. Not pushed back. It's flat out disintegrated. My body… Our bodies reappear and… I see a translucent image of…

Ah, an angel designed by Lovecraft which more or less matches what I remember the Life Entity looking like. It looks… Honestly, it looks more surprised than anything else, though its unusual facial structure makes it a little hard to tell.

And then it's gone, and everything's gone, and we're back in Washington.

Next to Finality Man.

Last edited:
"Yes. But..." I 'look around'. "If I understand what this place is correctly, then he was about to do that anyway. The thaumosphere is interconnected, and he's just demonstrated that he could consume entire realms. He's have pressed on-."
That should say "He'd".

Bands of white light explode outwards from the black sphere, punching through and tearing free! Mannheim floats, white light radiating out of his body as the black all around us is-. Not pushed back. It's flat out disintegrated. My body… Our bodies reappear and… I see a translucent image of…

Ah, an angel designed by Lovecraft which more or less matches what I remember the Life Entity looking like. It looks… Honestly, it looks more surprised than anything else, thought its unusual facial structure makes it a little hard to tell.
Now that more people are aware of the Life Entity, is there any chance someone with malicious intent can get this info from any of them?

Awesome stuff, finally the rainbow strategy is coming through. Question is if that breakthrough waa enough to expand and eradicate the Anti-Life in the Thaumosphere or if they still need to shoot it through the Transmitters.

On another note:

Oh. Damn me.

-to trust anyone around me, to truly drop my guard.

Is Batman about to go the "Brother Eye" path? How can a guy as paranoid as that become even more paranoid? I still don't see how that gets fixed after this crisis is over.

17th February 2013
But Probably Doesn't Care

Orion has kept his shape more than the rest of us, a privilege of being a New God I suppose. It's red with white detailing, and lets him clench his right fist while I can't even make a barrier.

"Darkseid did this to you. Anti-Life did this to you. If you focus, focus your rage as you should, and we will win."
That might be more than Orion can manage in this state, OL. Rage has become part of him, and its fury burns hotter than anything else right now, and you are its target of the moment... And Red lanterns aren't known for changing targets before the previous one is dead.

He reaches-. He grabs into me and this idiot is going to ruin everything! We're so close!

"Do you know how many times Father has exposed me to his Anti-Life? I know the touch, the feeling, but never has it invaded my soul so thoroughly as it has today!"
Oh, boy. His anger is infectious too? This just gets better...

"Is it touching you right now!?"

"Is-?"
Not with such a raging fire, it isn't.

He recoils, tossing me ugh-. Tossing me aside and I hope he finds it that easy to make Mannheim angry, because I-. I don't usually get that angry.

"Done and done."
One more step completed then. Where it'll take you all remains to be seen.

Malvolio moves away from the wall. Strands fade and I can almost see through the murk clearly. I don't know what effect this is having on the world, but I'm confident that it will work.

"Mannheim has been trapped in this malaise for at least a month. Probably much longer. What's the longest that you've ever been under?"
More likely two months, at least. He'd have to have been channelling it before he sent the whole plan live.

Orion keeps glaring at me as he slams his white-coated hand onto the wall, continuing to maintain eye contact with me as the white and red light that makes up his body roils.

"Ah." The white- indigo flame of Nommo arrives, towing Carol just behind it. "Then the world is not doomed. A most pleasant surprise."
Not doomed today, at least. Tomorrow is still up in the air.

"I need you to inspire Mannheim's original personality with your-."

"Yes, I see. Star Sapphire, are you well enough to make the attempt?"
I wonder if any of this feels familiar to Balewa. There must have been some point like this when he was touching the edge of the White Light...

"I will.. endure."

Great. Great.
Any loving connection will work. As long as it's something more than simple desire, anyway.

"What exactly happens when we're done, Paul?"

Alan's drifted back a little to give the others space, parrying the few remaining strands trying to connection to him.
OL has no idea. And that's scary as hell.

"We call the white light through Mannheim, and destroy the core of this place. If that doesn't shut the whole thing down, we fly around and use the white light to erase everything. If that doesn't get us back to the material world… Um. I don't know. It would depend on what this Anti-Life plane is when there's no Anti-Life in it."

"That's a nice problem to have. But why do you think Mannheim-. The Mannheim on the outside, thanked us?"
Kind of hoping everythign jsut works out, huh? Like throwing yourself on the mercy of author fiat.

"If I hadn't heard Malvolio, he might have got me. If we'd tried using another Green Lantern -even Guy- he might have fully Anti-Lifed us both. And the connection goes both ways."

"So.. everything that feels emotion would… Would get Anti-Life exposure right away?"
Especially dangerous because OL is closely tied to his Entity. And once Anti-Life hits the centre of all Want in the universe, everything will want to give in...

"Yes. But..." I 'look around'. "If I understand what this place is correctly, then he was about to do that anyway. The thaumosphere is interconnected, and he's just demonstrated that he could consume entire realms. He'd have pressed on-."

"He'd have eaten everything." I hear a sigh. "You know, first time Jay and I worked together we stopped a couple of guys doing an insurance scan at a shoe factory. I ever tell you about that?"
You've come a long way since. To be fair, having a Lantern Ring kind of made you overlevelled for your early days.

"No, but I think Kid Flash mentioned it."

"I don't mind stepping up, but I gotta be honest with you. This.. is…"
Overwhelming? You're probably not the only one feeling that way.

"Yeah. Fortunately, rebuilding human civilisation should be simple, if not quick or-"

"It is done."
Just Love and Compassion, then. Things Mannheim was short of in his mortal existence, I bet.

"-easy. Thank you, Orion."

I get 'nods' from Carol and Nommo as the last of the strands fade away, leaving us with a giant… It's a sphere. Okay.
Oh, that seems familiar... Or it could be like something out of Evangelion, with this being the absolute borderline of Mannheim's soul.

"Right, good work everyone. White light time again, but this time we need to generate it inside Mannheim."

I feel Alan 'looking' at me again. "How?"
Well, you were holding onto his connections a moment ago... Pick them back up.

"Resonance. Mystic entanglement. Connect the emotion in you to the emotion in him and then we all connect together."

Which shouldn't be hard for me at least. We both want to be out of here, and we both hand the Anti-Life-
And all of us readers kind of want this plotline over and done with too. :oops: Methinks Arc Fatigue is setting in...

…the Anti-Life finally gone.

-gone. Good. Maintain that feeling, and wait for the others.
Let's hope the others find connections as easily.

Alan's next, and then Carol. I don't know much about Mannheim's personal life so I'm not sure what the link there was, but the important thing is that it's done. Malvolio, Nommo, Batman and after a brief delay Orio-.

Oh gods.
I bet it was something about his mother. I know it's a cliche, but all bad men do love their mothers. What form that love takes, that bond, depends on the lady in question, though...

I see the hopes long put aside for grim reality, suddenly made possible once more.

I feel the need to be loved when your lifestyle just doesn't allow it.
A man who's lived a hard life, but can see a better place ahead of him.

I see the ruthless resolve with which Malvolio/Mannheim forged an empire in the stars/of crime.

I see Nommo/Mannheim let a child flee the scene of a battle/robbery rather than be enslaved/taken hostage.
Lofty goals, tempered by mercy.

Oh. Damn me.

-to trust anyone around me, to truly drop my guard.
Yeah, Batman will need some careful handling after this. With any luck, he can learn to let go of that fear, though.

And the rage at being a pawn, kept in ignorance and no matter what I do, used for other people!

I feel it all.
I see Mannheim and Orion have a bit in common, eh?

Ah, an angel designed by Lovecraft which more or less matches what I remember the Life Entity looking like. It looks… Honestly, it looks more surprised than anything else, thought its unusual facial structure makes it a little hard to tell.
Hey, at least it's anthropoidal. Some Angels, and some of Lovecraft's weirder critters... Anything but.

And then it's gone, and everything's gone, and we're back in Washington.

Next to Finality Man.
But is he still hostile or not, that's the question.

Well, then. White Light deployed. Now to see if it did as they hoped it would, or if things are going to need a little more hands-on approach. Because for all they know, the Anti-life Infection could be self-sustaining. On the up side, if it did work, then the victory celebration can begin, and all of Humanity gets to share in the party. :D I shudder to imagine the collective hangover.

"Ah." The white- indigo flame of Nommo arrives...
Unneeded space.
...the few remaining strands trying to connection to him.
...the few remaining strands trying to connect to him.
We both want to be out of here, and we both hand the Anti-Life-
We both want to be out of here, and we both want the Anti-Life-

Hello, life entity. Looking very eldritch today.

Is Batman about to go the "Brother Eye" path? How can a guy as paranoid as that become even more paranoid? I still don't see how that gets fixed after this crisis is over.
It certainly looks that way.

Might even be worse then normal Brother Eye since Talia is likely to prod him towards more wider reaching options.

It certainly looks that way.

Might even be worse then normal Brother Eye since Talia is likely to prod him towards more wider reaching options.
I presume OL's going to remove the fear gas/smilex from Batman - I didn't get the sense that this was intended to be a permanent state of affairs

If I recall correctly, Mr Zoat talked about the villain Onomatopoeia 's comic origin when he joined Klarion for that assault on Fate's tower. Onomatopoeia worked with Batman and was welcomed into Bruce's home as an ally of teammate. However he revealed his true nature as a killer by killing one of Batman's loved ones- his wife?- while in the same room with him. The last panel was a reveal that he had Onomatopoeia's verbal tic.

Batman was paranoid enough to make a plan to take down every member of the Justice League. Batman was willing to use Scarecrow's gas on Martian Manhunter, unless I'm mixing up that strategy with the one in Life Ore Death. Batman can accept a scenario where someone does something terrible to put a stop to any mind-controlled evils he might commit. But Paragon!Paul collapsed the Jenga tower of Batman's new outlook. His acceptance that the world would not need him to stay as that paranoid, self-harming zealot.

I wish I had read the New Gods comics, the trials of Scott Free, so I could argue that this White Light plan was not required. Was not optimal. But hero!Lex, Dr Mist, Scott Free and many others failed. I mostly lay this at the feet of the Olympians and Silver City for not trying a cooperative push with Earth's mightiest heroes. But if they have Oracle powers that indicated they were vulnerable like the realm that was devoured... Hmph.

I presume OL's going to remove the fear gas/smilex from Batman - I didn't get the sense that this was intended to be a permanent state of affairs

I acknowledge and accept that. But is the Illustres planning to forcefully interfere with Batman's brain now? Because I just can't see Batman accepting any further tampering, no matter how well intentioned. And he now has a Power Ring to more properly defend himself.

I can't even see where Batman returns the Yellow Power Ring. Why would he? If he does return it, then what would be the reasoning? It's the most effective tool he has ever had and the most important one, to my eyes at least, in any possible contingency plan against the one that just recently messed up with his head i.e. the Illustres. So is the aforementioned going to fight Batman for it? I can't see that going well with the others. Even with the justification that "I need to take the ring back" or "I need to fix his brain", if Batman doesn't agree with it are they treating him as a villain now to take it by force?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back