• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

I don't think he's off playing Emperor (Took me a min to Parse GEoM, clearly my plastic crack addiction treatment is going well.)

Judging by the few scraps we've seen. There was the Western interlude where, I think it was Batlash? Bartholomew something or other....ran into a native american group safe guarding an ancient precursor city containing a robot with the minds of their people for safe keeping. 'The Ancestor' was mentioned as having fought off burning martians and other things during early human history. So if he's not Emperor by the DC old West, I'm thinking he's laying fairly low at least until the 'modern' DC setting.

Equity (part 34) New
April 25th, 2013
Now

I don't wanna sound like a whiney bitch-.

The little Reach ship I was flying at-. Its force field bends and breaks as I fly at it, fists out. I power through, smashing into the hull armour which breaks just as easily. And then there's kind of a weird bit where I'm flying through the ship, and things are starting to come apart but the people inside haven't realised it yet. I see them doing whatever they do, looking around in surprise as the wall next to them breaks and I fly through. I slow down for a moment and shove one of them out of the way before carrying on, heading for the opposite side of the ship. They've got spacesuits, so they'll probably survive. And if they don't, it's a war. No one is going to care about dead space nazis.

And I failed already.

But come on! Between being able to melt things by pointing at them and actual super strength, what would anyone pick?

I turn back around, and it's great how much smoother the motion is than the old version. That's still there, but now my organs are extra-toughened I can use more force without turning my insides into slushie.

And back through the ship. BOOM!

Okay, no actual boom, but they know how I wrecked this little patrol's other ships, so they've-. They've got to be running away from the parts I'm smashing. I don't… See any Reach-goo on my hands when the hull on the far side explodes away from me, so I think I'm good and superhero-approved.

I will say this about super-melting powers. Pushing through a ship this way a lot tidier. Hulls are designed not to break, obviously, but if you melt them a bit first then the hole out is clean.

Oh. No. Looks like that one didn't get into a spacesuit in time. They sort of.. wave at me for a moment. The Controller told me that Reach people are a bit more resistant to getting spaced than humans, but… I mean, what? What do you want me to do? None of my upgrades let me magic up a spacesuit, and you're the enemy anyway.

240px-Paragon_Interrupt.png

I mean… I guess I could push them back through into the ship. The atmosphere bubble thing usually holds up for a while-.

Some sort of blue laser thing hits them, and they stop moving. I glance back, kind of annoyed. I mean, we're in a war, I decided to save some guy's life, and-.

A gun drone. Something-. Not everything the Controller been collecting can be used in me-. Or the other Effigies. So we get little robots around, watching how we do things-. Cameras so he can tell me what to do differently, how to use my powers better. And they have guns because we're in a war.

"Effigy One. Is there a problem?"

"I just thought I'd take that guy prisoner."

"Why?"

"I mean…" The ship behind me starts to snap in half as the holes I made in it start spreading. "Because…"

Because that's being a superhero, and that's…

That's the best thing to be. Except the Controller thinks the best thing to be is the Controller. And the next best is a good weapon.

I can't sigh in space. And-. Yeah, the Controller's been upfront about what he expects from me. I get powers but I gotta put in the hours. I'm not trying to say insect-space-nazi didn't deserve it or wouldn't have done it to me-.

"Interrogation, maybe?"

"We have plenty."

There's a… Space-wobble thing as the Legion salvage team arrives. Can't see any active Reach ships, so I guess that's it. The Controller was a bit annoyed that I couldn't describe it better than 'space wobble'. Guess I got a couple of extra senses from one of my upgrades, but I'm not really sure which one it was.

"But that one might have been unique."

What am I doing? Just.. shut up and get back to work.

I fly over to the hull and start ripping off the gun-. Oh yeah, that's easier than it used to be.

"Possible, but unlikely."

"I'm just saying… We don't know. And we could have found out. You know?"

"We are not here to gather intelligence. I only do this much because it is more convenient than dealing with complaints from allied Controllers."

"Complaints? What are they complaining about?"

"It need not concern you."

And I can't help but think. The old woman Controller Paul hangs out with, the one in charge of the Orange Lantern Corps. She's their boss, isn't she? She's the only one I've seen telling another Controller what to do. And she's on the Nemo Council. And there's that other Controller who runs the Darkstars, he's on the Council too.

My Controller… He's kind of… Just got me. I haven't seen him working with the Controllers making the ships or doing stuff for the old woman. So…

Does that mean he's, like, the Controller-me? He just wants his own thing that he can do well, and… And he's not just going to work for someone else if he doesn't have to-.

The weird field he put over the Reach patrol so they couldn't call for help or run away disappears, and the Controller… I think he's actually here in person. He doesn't usually do that. He flies over, but he's not looking at me. He's staring at that weird crystal he picked up a few days ago.

I straighten up a bit, though I don't think he'll care or notice.

"Sir?"

"Secrecy is secured. I will have another target for you presently."

"Is it an important one?"

"I do not yet know how to conceal an entire star system. There are few things that the Reach truly values that are smaller than that."

"How about a bigger ship, then?"

"I will consider it. For now, I wish to continue trials of your abilities here."

I nod, but he's still not looking.

"My studies indicate that your strength is to a degree dependent on your mental focus."

"Like a Green Lantern?"

"An apt analogy. Your body now responds to the force of your will, which forces the exotic matter to conform to its requirements."

"So it's kind of like what I was doing with telekinesis, only…"

"Yes. You will have to identify the mental triggers yourself."

Still not looking up from that crystal, he points to the front bit of one of the ships I just wrecked.

"Fly through that at maximum speed. Think of nothing but the action. I will monitor you."

Guess Legion finished taking prisoners off it. Amazing what teleporters can do. I turn, hold out my fists and fly-.

Oh.

I guess they hadn't finished with it, then.

Last edited:
April 25th, 2013
Now

I don't wanna sound like a whiney bitch-.
Effigy once more, it seems. And if he's been getting upgraded, I'd be surprised what he's got to whine about, unless there's some emotional fulfilment he's missing out on. Which there may well be if he's making the mistake of overworking.

The little Reach ship I was flying at-. Its force field bends and breaks as I fly at it, fists out. I power through, smashing into the hull armour which breaks just as easily. And then there kind of a weird bit where I'm flying through the ship, and things are starting to come apart but the people inside haven't realised it yet. I see them doing whatever they do, looking around in surprise as the wall next to them breaks and I fly through. I slow down for a moment and shove one of them out of the way before carrying on, heading for the opposite side of the ship. They've got spacesuits, so they'll probably survive. And if they don't, it's a war. No one is going to care about dead space nazis.
Making fine use of the Viltrumite DNA upgrade, I see. Using himself as a human torpedo...

And I failed already.

But come on! Between being able to melt things by pointing at them and actual super strength, what would anyone pick?
Still not a patch on a Power Ring, though super-strength is a handy backup.

I turn back around, and it's great how much smoother the motion is that the old version. That's still there, but now my organs are extra-toughened I can use more force without turning my insides into slushie.

And back through the ship. BOOM!
Heh. I can imagine hauling himself about with telekinesis was a bit awkward. Like flying himself about like a kid plays with an action figure.

Okay, no actual boom, but they know how I wrecked this little patrol's other ships, so they've-. They're got to be running away from the parts I'm smashing. I don't… See any Reach-goo on my hands when the hull on the far side explodes away from me, so I think I'm good and superhero-approved.

I will say this about super-melting powers. Pushing through a ship way a lot tidier. Hulls are designed not to break, obviously, but if you melt them a bit first then the hole out is clean.
Still trying to think like a hero rather than a soldier, of course. Which probably means every death he causes weighs heavier on him.

Oh. No. Looks like that one didn't get into a spacesuit in time. They sort of.. wave at me for a moment. The Controller told me that Reach people are a bit more resistant to getting spaced than humans, but… I mean, what? What do you want me to do? None of my upgrades let me magic up a spacesuit, and you're the enemy anyway.
Case in point. Easy to smash their stuff when you can't see their panicked face, isn't it?

<Paragon Interrupt>

I mean… I guess I could push them back through into the ship. The atmosphere bubble thing usually holds up for a while-.
How compassionate of you. It's a pity that's a rarity towards the Reach.

Some sort of blue laser thing hits them, and they stop moving. I glance back, kind of annoyed. I mean, we're in a war, I decided to save some guy's life, and-.

A gun drone. Something-. Not everything the Controller been collecting can be used in me-. Or the other Effigies. So we get little robots around, watching how we do things-. Cameras so he can tell we what to do differently, how to use my powers better. And they have guns because we're in a war.
Hmm... Wonder if that was anything exotic or not. I mean, I doubt they'd bother to put the really crazy stuff in a drone that can be taken by the enemy.

"Effigy One. Is there a problem?"

"I just thought I'd take that guy prisoner."
Sounds kind of lame when you put it like that. After all, 'I... Didn't want to kill someone.' might get him some funny looks in the locker room.

"Why?"

"I mean…" The ship behind me starts to snap in half as the holes I made in it start spreading. "Because…"
At least he's got the 'trashing enemy ships' thing down pat.

Because that's being a superhero, and that's…

That's the best thing to be. Except the Controller thinks the best thing to be is the Controller. And the next best is a good weapon.
Jevek's probably cursing his decision to focus on living beings for this project. All those annoying things like emotions...

I can't sigh in space. And-. Yeah, the Controller's been upfront about what he expects from me. I get powers but I gotta put in the hours. I'm not trying to say insect-space-nazi didn't deserve it or wouldn't have done it to me-.

"Interrogation, maybe?"
Pretty sure if he'd had the chance and a weapon, he would have been shooting at you... If he weren't panicking at being sucked into space.

"We have plenty."

There's a… Space-wobble thing as the Legion salvage team arrives. Can't see any active Reach ships, so I guess that's it. The Controller was a bit annoyed that I couldn't describe it better than 'space wobble'. Guess I got a couple of extra senses from one of my upgrades, but I'm not really sure which one it was.
Strong bet it's a mixture of telekinetic senses and Viltrumite stuff. Or something else from the Invincible trophy room.

"But that one might have been unique."

What am I doing? Just.. shut up and get back to work.
Maybe it's been getting to you? The killing and destruction. Has Effigy even taken any time off since he got this job?

I fly over to the hull and start ripping off the gun-. Oh yeah, that's easier than it used to be

Stealing all the weaponry and materiel they can, eh? For research or just spare parts?

"I'm just saying… We don't know. And we could have found out. You know?"

"We are not here to gather intelligence. I only do this much because it is more convenient than dealing with complaints from allied Controllers."
Little things like 'What is this atypical energy signature in your facility?' or 'Is that a Red Light-infused burn? What have you been up to?' I'd warrant.

"Complaints? What are they complaining about?"

"It need not concern you."
Ah, he's going full super-villain genius. Arrogance and self-importance making him treat everyone like inferiors...

And I can't help but think. The old woman Controller Paul hangs out with, the one in charge of the Orange Lantern Corps. She's their boss, isn't she? She's the only one I've seen telling another Controller what to do. And she's on the Nemo Council. And there's that other Controller who runs the Darkstars, he's on the Council too.

My Controller… He's kind of… Just got me. I haven't seen him working with the Controllers making the ships or doing stuff for the old woman. So…
It's her 'granny knows best' energy. Other people just default to doing what she tells them, don't they? Besides the ones who remember her from back in the day.

Does that mean he's, like, the Controller-me? He just wants his own thing that he can do well, and… And he's not just going to work for someone else if he doesn't have to-.

The weird field he put over the Reach patrol so they couldn't call for help or run away disappears, and the Controller… I think he's actually here in person. He doesn't usually do that. He flies over, but he's not looking at me. He's staring at that weird crystal he picked up a few days ago.
Ooh, the M'Kraan Crystal? Shrunk down a bit for portability, given some appearances have it be the size of a house...

I straighten up a bit, though I don't think he'll care or notice.

"Sir?"
Man, all that respect, wasted on Jevek...

"Secrecy is secured. I will have another target for you presently."

"Is it an important one?"
And will it involve killing stuff or not? I think he could use a break from that.

"I do not yet know how to conceal an entire star system. There are few things that the Reach truly values that are smaller than that."

"How about a bigger ship, then?"
Nibbles and bites may not be satisfying, but they'll eventually fill you up. Better than biting off more than you can chew.

"I will consider it. For now, I wish to continue trials of your abilities here."

I nod, but he's still not looking.
Kind of hard to think well of him when he's being an ass, eh?

"My studies indicate that your strength is to a degree dependent on your mental focus."

"Like a Green Lantern?"
Makes sense. The Vilrtumites apparently fight harder when focused on a goal... Especially Mark.

"An apt analogy. Your body now responds to the force of your will, which forces the exotic matter to conform to its requirements."

Focused on yourself, rather than outwards... Towards your shed skin burning up... At least this is more pleasant-sounding.

Still not looking up from that crystal, he points to the front bit of one of the ships I just wrecked.
Kind of makes me wonder just how much attention he'll be paying to this bit of 'training'... Then again, he's probably got senses that don't need him to be watching something to observe it.

"Fly through that at maximum speed. Think of nothing but the action. I will monitor you."

Guess Legion finished taking prisoners off it. Amazing what teleporters can do. I turn, hold out my fists and fly-.
Jevek really treating him like a meaty robot, huh?

Oh.

I guess they hadn't finished with it, then.
...Ew. So much for getting out of this without needing a shower.

Every time I see this guy, I feel more and more worried about him. Jevek would clearly rather be working with automata, but he's making use of organic beings, with all their foibles... And then he gets annoyed when they dare to have a thought outside of their given objective. Kinda makes you wonder how the other Effigy operatives are doing...

He may actually prefer organics, since the last time Maltusians tried using robots for war and policing, an entire sector disappeared.
I really have to wonder how quickly that happened. I feel like you should watch over deployment of something like that for at least a few years. I mean if the Manhunters were working fine for a century and then suddenly went crazy I could sort of understand. After all organic organization sometimes go crazy too.

Last edited:
I feel bad for effigy he's really trying to do good he's just hitched his wagon to the wrong alien.
You hear about aliens in the news. It paints them as either mindless monsters, psycho criminals, or the kind you can have a beer with. Just a funny looking person, and sometimes they look just as human as your neighbors.

Aliens with the mindset of Controllers… pop up in science fiction and tales about the Fair Folk. Or maybe demons. The average person just wouldn't get the consequences of a "detached, professional" alien hiring you. Of furthering their goals with you as their hammer.

The little Reach ship I was flying at-. Its force field bends and breaks as I fly at it, fists out. I power through, smashing into the hull armour which breaks just as easily. And then there kind of a weird bit where I'm flying through the ship, and things are starting to come apart but the people inside haven't realised it yet.
'there's'
I turn back around, and it's great how much smoother the motion is that the old version. That's still there, but now my organs are extra-toughened I can use more force without turning my insides into slushie.
'than the'
I will say this about super-melting powers. Pushing through a ship way a lot tidier. Hulls are designed not to break, obviously, but if you melt them a bit first then the hole out is clean.
'that way is'?
A gun drone. Something-. Not everything the Controller been collecting can be used in me-. Or the other Effigies. So we get little robots around, watching how we do things-. Cameras so he can tell we what to do differently, how to use my powers better. And they have guns because we're in a war.
'tell me'?
I fly over to the hull and start ripping off the gun-. Oh yeah, that's easier than it used to be

Missing full stop?

I really have to wonder how quickly that happened. I few like you should watch over deployment of something like that for at least a few years. I mean if the Manhunters were working fine for a century and then suddenly went crazy I could sort of understand. After all organic organization sometimes go crazy too.

In some comics, Krona altered their programming so that they'd kill everyone.

Is the powers of a Viltrumite the only upgrade Effigy has right now?

So lacking empathic senses, did Effigy just not notice the red rage scar or did Jevek finally manage to heal it?

"Like a Green Lantern?"

I love how much Jevek just hates the fact that he's in a superhero multiverse and he's going to have to deal with the fact that the best powers are wishywashy ^^
The whole point of the Effigy project was to get a superpower program that wouldn't rely on lantern-like finnickiness of mood (or reading between the lines, skill in technical execution of difficult tricks) and yet...
Here he is.

Equitisation (part 1) New
Equitisation

28th April 2013
15:22 GMT

"Clarissi Dox, what can-?"

I hesitate for a moment as I see that Hinon is already in his office. Which almost certainly isn't that strange; she's the Orange Lantern Corp's main Controller sponsor and effectively 'in charge' of all of the Controllers directly working with us. Logically, they must meet often. I just.. haven't seen it. I… Guess I've sort of assumed that they left dealing with the gap between their responsibilities to me.

"Controller Hinon."

"Illustres. One of two, I understand."

I raise my eyebrows a little. "Is it a position with multiple openings? I know that the Green Lantern Corps has had two at various points, but I wasn't sure that's what we were doing."

"Linguistic drift." Dox's face remains characteristically neutral, though I think I detect a faint tone of disapproval. "For the entirety of the history of the Orange Lantern Corps, the only Illustres has been you. As such, rather than it being the rank of the senior-most member of the Honour Guard -a somewhat ridiculous standard when even you have only had your ring for less than three of your homeworld's years- the rank has become associated with your previously-unique relationship with the orange light."

"So…" Hm. "Alright, that makes sense. So… Is that the standard for joining our Honour Guard? For command rank-?"

"No."

"I mean… Field command positions, not high command." And I still shouldn't have said it. "Ah-."

"I am not unaware of the advantages of having Lanterns of that level of power assigned to oversight positions. And I am aware that I am better placed as a L.E.G.I.O.N. officer using my ring than as field Lantern." His eyes narrow slightly. "To truly excel as a Lantern one appears to need a certain impulsiveness which I lack."

"Dox, you've built the largest military in the-."

"I do not require you to massage my ego. I am well aware of my achievements. I have counselling on the subject, at my foster father's insistence."

"I second that insistence."

He appears genuinely puzzled. "Why?"

"Because I'm concerned about your wellbeing and long-term functionality?"

"Why do you think that your 'seconding' his insistence will have any effect when I am already following his advice?"

"Ah, logically it can't, but it does show that his isn't a lone voice or just his own opinion."

"Very well. Noted. Now, your recruitment of a sperm as an Orange Lantern. I am curious as to why you made that decision."

Hinon gives me a flat look. "Aren't we all."

"
I wanted the help, and I'm curious about his perspective. He doesn't really have the sorts of desires that most species have. They're more focused around the status of his Great Mother than his own."

"Not an optimal candidate?"

"Well, he might be. If Great Mother is amenable to creating more of them, we could have specially crafted custom Lanterns. Spending a little time tutoring one is well worth it, even if the answer turns out that it was a bad idea." I shrug. "I didn't know that other Lanterns were going to be able to make the breakthrough that I did, not really. As you said, it's only been a year. We don't know what makes an ideal Orange Lantern recruit because we've only tested the sort of people we know can handle it in ways we understand. And that makes sense because we're fighting a war, but-."

"It's worth researching as well." Dox nods. "Those selections you personally had a hand in continue to out perform those selected by our normal methods. Perhaps your relationship with the orange light leads you to them, or perhaps not. I am… Struggling to see how that applies here, but as you say, it will be worth knowing."

Hinon rolls her eyes. "Can we please get back to the reason why I'm here? Unless you intend to do a repeat of the Spider Queen, techno-organic spacecraft really aren't that interesting."

"I shall try not to take that personally."

"'Useful' and 'interesting' are not the same thing."

"That is why I am trying."

"Why are you-?"

"Controller Jevek Jos Jar and his… 'Effigies'."

I nod. "Yes, Mister van Wyck mentioned he was expanding. It should be interesting to see how they do."

"Were you aware that he's been enhancing them further?"

"
No, but… Good? I sort of assumed that a Maltusian who wanted to would have dozens of ways to augment someone."

"I could turn you into something else, certainly. Well, Dox anyway."
She peers at me. "You, I'm not sure about. You rather like being you. You resist change."

"
I.. am happy as myself."

"Few are, not in the way that you are. I honestly don't think that I could use the orange light to change you."

"
Well, ah, good? Plenty of humans augment humans. We've got one guy who can regrow his whole body from a few scraps of flesh and somehow retains his memories. Is there a problem that I'm not seeing?"

"He never did any research on the subject before. Rather than begin from first principles, he's been accessing parallel universes to acquire their knowledge using a device worryingly similar to Krona's tuning fork."

"
Has he been kidnapping parallel universe versions of me?"

"No, but he wouldn't necessarily need to. If he had access to Krona's records, then he could use the resonance to simply communicate with them."

"
So he's using them to get augmentative formulae and… Combining them? Would that work?"

"I said that he had no prior experience, not that he was a buffoon. He is combining compatible elements."

"
So..?"

"So he's drawing on different parallel universes! They don't all have the same physical laws, and he's rushing into production over pride."

"
Isn't he millions of years old?"

"We aren't so transcendent that we don't have egos, Illustres. Controllers seek unique knowledge and social renown. We also aren't the most strident in safeguarding individuals from other species. Jevek Jos Jar was a proponent of the use of Sun Eaters early in our conflict with the Reach, and I have no doubt that if the combined augmentations had unfortunate effects on his minions he would care not in the slightest."

I nod. "Alright. Plan of action?"

"We want you to accompany the Effigies, monitor their performance and general state of health. If they're simply better soldiers then we'll work out how best to use them. Otherwise, you have the best chance to mend them. Take Lantern Son of Great Mother with you. It will be a useful experience for him as well."

I nod. "Can do. When do we leave?"

Last edited:
Dox, you've build the

"built"

"Very well. Noted. Now, your recruitment of a sperm as an Orange Lantern. I am curious as to why you made that decision

On the outside he appears calm and collected, but on the inside im betting he's just screaming.

I'm honestly sure that this isn't her fake personality, but that he genuinely made her do that.

"Well, he might be. If Great Mother is amenable to creating more of them, we could have specially crafted custom Lanterns

You already have that option with the Spider Queen.

the Spider Queen techno-organic spacecraft really aren't that interesting."

Add a , after "Queen".

and he's rushing into production over pride."

"Isn't he millions of years old?"

And?

You've criticized the Guardians and immortals over their actions, and they're at least as old as Jevek.

Just because someone is old that doesn't mean that they're wise.

Equitisation

28th April 2013
15:22 GMT

"Clarissi Dox, what can-?"

I hesitate for a moment as I see that Hinon is already in his office. Which almost certainly isn't that strange; she's the Orange Lantern Corp's main Controller sponsor and effectively 'in charge' of all of the Controllers directly working with us. Logically, they must meet often. I just.. haven't seen it. I… Guess I've sort of assumed that they left dealing with the gap between their responsibilities to me.
Ah, a new episode begins. And we return to OL, stepping before his commanders to explain recent recruitments and developments, no doubt. To be fair, they probably knew Xor would be working on Enlightenment... But a giant space sperm? That's gonna take some explaining.

"Controller Hinon."

"Illustres. One of two, I understand."

I raise my eyebrows a little. "Is it a position with multiple openings? I know that the Green Lantern Corps has had two at various points, but I wasn't sure that's what we were doing."
Better to sort out the question now, rather than in a couple of years when you have multiple Enlightened Lanterns who all want to be in charge.

"Linguistic drift." Dox's face remains characteristically neutral, though I think I detect a faint tone of disapproval. "For the entirety of the history of the Orange Lantern Corps, the only Illustres has been you. As such, rather than it being the rank of the senior-most member of the Honour Guard -a somewhat ridiculous standard when even you have only had your ring for less than three of your homeworld's years- the rank has become associated with your previously-unique relationship with the orange light."
And gaining two Enlightened Lanterns in the space of two years of operation must be giving Hinon a warm feeling. Something to lord it over the Guardians and their Green Lanterns.

"So…" Hm. "Alright, that makes sense. So… Is that the standard for joining our Honour Guard? For command rank-?"

"No."

"I mean… Field command positions, not high command." And I still shouldn't have said it. "Ah-."
To be fair, it is still only a couple of years and a lot of the wrinkly details of the Corps are still being ironed out. I doubt the Greenies had it all planned out beforehand. ...Then again, the Guardians wouldn't want to leave anything to chance again after the Manhunter debacle..

"I am not unaware of the advantages of having Lanterns of that level of power assigned to oversight positions. And I am aware that I am better placed as a L.E.G.I.O.N. officer using my ring than as field Lantern." His eyes narrow slightly. "To truly excel as a Lantern one appears to need a certain impulsiveness which I lack."
It's really just a matter of specialisation, perhaps. All the Lanterns you've recruited so far have been recruited for their combat prowess. Who's to say how a more intellectual sort of lantern would operate?

"Dox, you've build the largest military in the-."

"I do not require you to massage my ego. I am well aware of my achievements. I have counselling on the subject, at my foster father's insistence."
Smart man indeed.

"I second that insistence."

He appears genuinely puzzled. "Why?"

"Because I'm concerned about your wellbeing and long-term functionality?"
OL may not remember clearly what happened in the LEGION series, but he probably remembers it tended to go from bad to worse.

"Why do you think that your 'seconding' his insistence will have any affect when I am already following his advice?"

"Ah, logically it can't, but it does show that his isn't a lone voice or just his own opinion."
You know? It's called being a friend?

"Very well. Noted. Now, your recruitment of a sperm as an Orange Lantern. I am curious as to why you made that decision."

Somehow her dry observation makes the matter all the more silly-sounding.

"I wanted the help, and I'm curious about his perspective. He doesn't really have the sorts of desires that most species have. They're more focused around the status of his Great Mother than his own."

"Not an optimal candidate?"
Less likely to be overwhelmed by selfish desires, certainly?

"Well, he might be. If Great Mother is amenable to creating more of them, we could have specially crafted custom Lanterns. Spending a little time tutoring one is well worth it, even if the answer turns out that it was a bad idea." I shrug. "I didn't know that other Lanterns were going to be able to make the breakthrough that I did, not really. As you said, it's only been a year. We don't know what makes an ideal Orange Lantern recruit because we've only tested the sort of people we know can handle it in ways we understand. And that makes sense because we're fighting a war, but-."
You were focused on assembling soldiers, not philosophers or scientists.

"It's worth researching as well." Dox nods. "Those selections you personally had a hand in continue to out perform those selected by our normal methods. Perhaps your relationship with the orange light leads you to them, or perhaps not. I am… Struggling to see how that applies here, but as you say, it will be worth knowing."
Much like Mogo can sense the best candidates for Green Rings. Perhaps it's that simple, and OL or another like him could take the same role someday.

Hinon rolls her eyes. "Can we please get back to the reason why I'm here? Unless you intend to do a repeat of the Spider Queen techno-organic spacecraft really aren't that interesting."

"I shall try not to take that personally."
Heh. I assume Lantern Son followed OL in, or they called him in too? Edit: Scratch that, I forgot about Lantern Ranx, the space-station.

"'Useful' and 'interesting' are not the same thing."

"That is why I am trying."
Son's such a nice boy.

"Why are you-?"

"Controller Jevek Jos Jar and his… 'Effigies'."
Ah... The kaiju-sized elephant in the room. Bigger than Lantern Son, for sure.

I nod. "Yes, Mister van Wyck mentioned he was expending. It should be interesting to see how they do."

"Were you aware that he's been enhancing them further?"

"
No, but… Good? I sort of assumed that a Maltusian who wanted to would have dozens of ways to augment someone."
Probably, but Humans seem to have a knack for finding especially peculiar yet effective methods.

"I could turn you into something else, certainly. Well, Dox anyway." She peers at me. "You, I'm not sure about. You rather like being you. You resist change."

"
I.. am happy as myself."
And ironically, he's the least 'special' of the alt!Pauls because of that. No tweaking, no power-ups or side-grades. Just going deep into a single skill-tree.

"Few are, not in the way that you are. I honestly don't think that I could use the orange light to change you."

"
Well, ah, good? Plenty of humans augment humans. We're got one guy who can regrow his whole body from a few scraps of flesh and somehow retains his memories. Is there a problem that I'm not seeing?"
...Who does he mean, again? 🤔 Resurrection Man, or someone else? Edit: Ah, right. Vandal Savage. Been so long since we saw him in Paragon timeline...

"He never did any research on the subject before. Rather than begin from first principles, he's been accessing parallel universes to acquire their knowledge using a device worryingly similar to Krona's tuning fork."

"
Has he been kidnapping parallel universe versions of me?"
Sort of taking the cliff-notes cheat-sheet version of research, basically. 'This worked there, let's see how it works here.'

"No, but he wouldn't necessarily need to. If he had access to Krona's records, then he could use the resonance to simply communicate with them."

"
So he's using them to get augmentative formulae and… Combining them? Would that work?"
I mean, OL's fiddled with that sort of thing and found some fundamentally incompatible.

"I said that he had no prior experience, not that he was a buffoon. He is combining compatible elements."

"
So..?"
The problem is when they synergise too well, and result in power jumps far beyond what Jevek planned for or could control?

"So he's drawing on different parallel universes! They don't all have the same physical laws, and he's rushing into production over pride."

"
Isn't he millions of years old?"
Doesn't mean he's patient. Just means he's old.

"We aren't so transcendent that we don't have egos, Illustres. Controllers seek unique knowledge and social renown. We also aren't the most strident in safeguarding individuals from other species. Jevek Jos Jar was a proponent of the use of Sun Eaters early in our conflict with the Reach, and I have no doubt that if the combined augmentations had unfortunate effects on his minions he would care not in the slightest."
Not unless they turned against him, I bet. Then it's all surprised-pikachu-face and 'How could this happen to me?'

I nod. "Alright. Plan of action?"

"We want you to accompany the Effigies, monitor their performance and general state of health. If they're simply better soldiers then we'll work out how best to use them. Otherwise, you have the best chance to mend them. Take Lantern Son of Great Mother with you. It will be a useful experience for him as well."

I nod. "Can do. When do we leave?"
Is this just to get Son out of their sight because people are being creeped out by the giant sperm-spacefighter-thing? :p But certainly, get some eyes familiar with malign hypercognitive disorders on Jevek...

All righty, then. Looks like we have a basic plot set-up. OL serving as oversight on Jevek and his little supersoldier project. Should result in some hilarity as Jevek tries to hold back his annoyance at the implied slight against his development process, while Marty gets to work with a superhero up close. At least until the excrement goes rotary impellor-wards and things get noisy.

Last edited:
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back