• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

Xenforo - Do you guys want it here?

So all the respect will be changed into Like?

The respect/upvote thing is gone. All of them are wiped out, forever. It's a sad sad thing (I was almost up to equalling my post count!). So we all have to start again. So, um, like farming is go~

EDIT: Ninja'd~

You're not. The current issue is the board is performing a bunch of one-time operation which are hogging resources such as distributing trophies, people mass-deleting remnant PMs from the SMS board that carried over incorrectly, etc.

Once that is over, we should be broadly fine, and if not then @tehelgee has already stated that upgrading the server size from Personal to Business class is in the cards. But in the meantime we are waiting to see what happens after everything comes down.
Yeah, it's already much faster.

Yeah, I intend to leave it locked for a while while the server redirects to the xenforo installation. That does mean this forum won't be accessible.
That's not what I meant.

I meant leaving a way to view the old forum, especially our old profiles and lists of watched threads. ("Notifications")

That's not what I meant.

I meant leaving a way to view the old forum, especially our old profiles and lists of watched threads. ("Notifications")

That was the original idea. It, unfortunately, won't be practical anymore due to the server switch. DNS will change to point to this site, and the other won't have a domain name anymore. You'd have to go to it by IP.

The IP address appears to be 100.42.55.2, but that doesn't actually lead to the site. Is there some other way we can access it?

(questionablequesting.com/index.php?action=profile;area=notification;u=####; seems to lead to it at the moment, but I can't view my profile to get the information I want because it requires "administration login", which I obviously don't have.)

On a different note: the text editor shows way more spacing between lines than there actually is:
screenshot.png

Is there a reason why the normal site address does not work, instead having to use the ip address?

Is there a reason why the normal site address does not work, instead having to use the ip address?
It's been exchanged because it will take a while for the DNS servers to successfully connect the new server with the URL address. Once that gets fixed in a day or so, we will have everything where it should be. Same thing happened to SV the day or so after it was set up, I believe IIRC.

Just wanted to say that I much prefer this forum software over what we were using. Glad for the move. I think I'm going to look into donations to help support it.

Don't see any other thread for this, so I'd just like to say I really preferred the old site and I wish i'd seen this before the change so I could have argued against it.

Agreed, didn't say anything because I didn't expect it to happen in, well, days after polling a tiny fraction of QQ's userbase. I'm grateful to the people who donated to make this a better site and to Elgee for putting in work and I get that this is, really, a labor of love. But...

But honestly so far the results of the move that I've actually been able to notice in order of how visible they were.

1. Lost QQ's pretty nice skins in favor of well, shit and a half-decent thing Vanathor put together.
2. Lost all likes/respect except what seems to be in a few random places.
3. Most threads now have fucked up formatting via tags that got mutated in the transition and that non-breaking space thing. Some things rendered entirely unreadable because of this and it's now on individual QM's to go fix the stuff many already probably put a lot of time making look decent on the old forums, ignoring that dead projects will probably never get fixed making a lot of archives (And on a fiction forum archives are significant) now shit to read.
4. All threads now have borked internal links. Again, this makes many things like archives potentially very difficult to use.
5. The front page is shorter making threads that aren't quite as active more invisible (Old QQ had pretty much every active quest on the front page by default), the recent posts thing at the bottom makes scrolling down and back up a slight annoyance and is a lot bigger and more obtrusive.
5. Some formatting things I used on qq (invisible or near invisible links mostly) no longer work at all. (I'll freely admit that this is mostly me, but even if there is some tricky way to do this, it's nowhere near as simple as it was to type in on QQ.)
6. I'd forgotten how much I loathed Xenforo's rich-text editor and the way if often fucks up formatting royally in certain situations. QQ's was comparably, easy to use if lacking in a few features. Again, mostly me.

Sure, most of these are fixable or personal (aside from formatting errors in longer quests, finished quests or abandoned quests that people might read) but, well, none of those things are positive. I'd love to be happy about the upgrade, but, well, what about this was actually an upgrade?

What has improved or is going to improve about the user experience here?

I mean, better alerts? Great, but the forum was never actually active enough that a thread would fall off the front page. (Except that that's smaller now) so I can't honestly ever remember needing or wanting alerts.

Nicer PMs? Maybe, haven't really used any since the move anyway.

Last edited:
One good thing is that we can watch threads and the "Unread Watched Threads" feature. I like that.

Edit: And browsing QQ is much easier on my phone now.

Positives of XF, as I understood it:

1. Watched threads (it wasn't ever prohibitive to just watch the whole-forum new-posts feed, as it would be on a forum as large as SB, but it was annoying)
2. Alerts
3. PMs in conversations, rather than the rather clunky and technically fraught version from before
4. Better mobile support
5. Compatibility with SB and SV for syntax, useful for those who cross-post SFW stuff here

The formatting issues and the broken links are hopefully to be fixed within the next few days. (This was probably a poor time to do the move, since right now I and several others of the people behind it have family obligations over Thanksgiving, and so can't devote huge amounts of time to troubleshooting.)

Frankly, I don't see any way that this change was necessary. Plus, we have to re-start many things all over again.

By the way, is it mandatory to pay , or is voluntary?

Otherwise, they'd have revoked the posting rights until people paid.

Is there a way to get the old font and size back? The new style is terrible. I can only see a fraction of the amount of text that was visible before the change and I just don't like the serif font.

Is there a way to get the old font and size back? The new style is terrible. I can only see a fraction of the amount of text that was visible before the change and I just don't like the serif font.
We can do something about this in a bit. Just need to get off work before I can access the cpanel to change the style.

Agreed, didn't say anything because I didn't expect it to happen in, well, days after polling a tiny fraction of QQ's userbase. I'm grateful to the people who donated to make this a better site and to Elgee for putting in work and I get that this is, really, a labor of love. But...

But honestly so far the results of the move that I've actually been able to notice in order of how visible they were.

1. Lost QQ's pretty nice skins in favor of well, shit and a half-decent thing Vanathor put together.
2. Lost all likes/respect except what seems to be in a few random places.
3. Most threads now have fucked up formatting via tags that got mutated in the transition and that non-breaking space thing. Some things rendered entirely unreadable because of this and it's now on individual QM's to go fix the stuff many already probably put a lot of time making look decent on the old forums, ignoring that dead projects will probably never get fixed making a lot of archives (And on a fiction forum archives are significant) now shit to read.
4. All threads now have borked internal links. Again, this makes many things like archives potentially very difficult to use.
5. The front page is shorter making threads that aren't quite as active more invisible (Old QQ had pretty much every active quest on the front page by default), the recent posts thing at the bottom makes scrolling down and back up a slight annoyance and is a lot bigger and more obtrusive.
5. Some formatting things I used on qq (invisible or near invisible links mostly) no longer work at all. (I'll freely admit that this is mostly me, but even if there is some tricky way to do this, it's nowhere near as simple as it was to type in on QQ.)
6. I'd forgotten how much I loathed Xenforo's rich-text editor and the way if often fucks up formatting royally in certain situations. QQ's was comparably, easy to use if lacking in a few features. Again, mostly me.

Sure, most of these are fixable or personal (aside from formatting errors in longer quests, finished quests or abandoned quests that people might read) but, well, none of those things are positive. I'd love to be happy about the upgrade, but, well, what about this was actually an upgrade?

What has improved or is going to improve about the user experience here?

I mean, better alerts? Great, but the forum was never actually active enough that a thread would fall off the front page. (Except that that's smaller now) so I can't honestly ever remember needing or wanting alerts.

Nicer PMs? Maybe, haven't really used any since the move anyway.
You forgot the fact that the new software is apparently sufficiently more resource-intensive that we required newer, more expensive hosting.
Frankly, I'm pissed about the whole mess. The first I heard of the idea was the PM telling me to log off for the changeover! Why the fuck was a decision like this made without any sort of announcement drawing people's attention to the debate?

I miss tables.

For the rich-text editor, under preferences->options, you can uncheck using it.

For threads per page, you can vote on it right Here

I don't like the current Dice roller, hopefully it won't take to long before we get a better one. But using the IRC or invisible castle as a stop-gap till then could work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back