• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
Seems like we have one massive case of rejection of reality, followed by substitution of your own :p

Or the thread is simply being weird. Get some more activity in here, and we can find out

Bah, everything I say is perfectly in tune with a reality!

And you can't prove otherwise so nyeh!

Fusing Teen Titans and Young Justice is a pretty major shakeup I look forward to seeing where it goes.
Also Justice League: War was used for the original timeline of the JL's formation. So any foreknowledge the SI might have had is pretty well fucked. He can make some educated guesses and attempt to be prepared for things but the twisting of the timeline invalidates a lot of stuff.
The mental contamination/positive feedback loop of contempt has initial elements of being different, but it's too soon to really stand apart IMO.
That's never really going to not be an issue. It's worth noting that in its home dimension the Puce ring operates one of the furthest slots from middle; which are generally the ones with strongest mental contamination. Specifically it's the equivalent of the colour that normally makes its users go literally insane with endless blind fury.
TotalAbsolutism, you've done a good job making a character powered by what's basically hate into someone not completely flat. Huria puts good explanations to why he disagrees with people, and makes an effort to be, if not nice, fair to people. When he's an asshole, he suffers the consequences and recognizes his mistakes. He feels like just a normal Joe given crazy power, and has a genuine desire to do good.
Thank you kindly.
thinking about it i would bet that it is semi-caused by his contempt for irrationality.
It'd help a little bit. The Ring can't really defend against its own mental contamination though, as that's just a side effect of constant exposure to Puce light.

Puce is objectively the worst colour.

testing. testing. one two three?

edit: if anyone can hear me from outside the thread please respond.
Alright, this popped up, but only because you quoted me

And same with this

thinking about it i would bet that it is semi-caused by his contempt for irrationality.
This, however, didn't. Neither did anything, where i was not quoted, after it. So, yay, Vyor isn't special! He and-slash-or she is perfectly average!

Wait, is that cause for celebration?

Also Justice League: War was used for the original timeline of the JL's formation. So any foreknowledge the SI might have had is pretty well fucked. He can make some educated guesses and attempt to be prepared for things but the twisting of the timeline invalidates a lot of stuff.

That's never really going to not be an issue. It's worth noting that in its home dimension the Puce ring operates one of the furthest slots from middle; which are generally the ones with strongest mental contamination. Specifically it's the equivalent of the colour that normally makes its users go literally insane with endless blind fury.
I kinda picked up this was a pseudo-Red Ring.;)
As far as modifying the concept to make a (mostly) heroic Red Lantern, I approve of the modifications. Better than GLTAS did it IMO.
As our protagonist so often remarks.;)

"I hate not making sense."
"It shall be done."
Yeah, I can see that.:D
It'd help a little bit. The Ring can't really defend against its own mental contamination though, as that's just a side effect of constant exposure to Puce light.

nah. i don't even mean the emotional part. i just mean how he seems to abide by basic debate etiquette, or at least the intent behind said etiquette, when interacting with people.

it doesn't matter if the path you were on was the wrong one because trying to find the right one is itself the right path. or somehting like that. i hope someone who understands what i am trying to say can explane it better then i can.

I kinda picked up this was a pseudo-Red Ring.;)
As far as modifying the concept to make a (mostly) heroic Red Lantern, I approve of the modifications. Better than GLTAS did it IMO.
Well, there is a bit of nuance between Rage and Contempt.

The former is violent, uncontrollable and rather immediate in how it manifests. Keeping Rage after the fact is hard.

Contempt, meanwhile, lasts. It is the feeling that something has no value. An interesting part of the distinction is that you can feel Contempt for something that doesn't make you Angry, but the reverse is true far less often.

Well, there is a bit of nuance between Rage and Contempt.

The former is violent, uncontrollable and rather immediate in how it manifests. Keeping Rage after the fact is hard.

Contempt, meanwhile, lasts. It is the feeling that something has no value. An interesting part of the distinction is that you can feel Contempt for something that doesn't make you Angry, but the reverse is true far less often.
Rage is, categorically, what you feel outside of your reasoning while Contempt can only exist as a result of reasoning?

lost interest the second you took your ring off.

You think that taking in the world by sensing rather than intuition is causing this? As opposed to, say, interacting with the world by judging it?
Well they definitely weren't thinking about what they could say to make the situation better. That's rather why it was called "useless" criticism. Thinking about it, it's probably the same thing that caused you to not realise that "rather than" and "As opposed to" have the same literal meaning.

They have similar definitions, and are frequently used together for stylistic reasons, much the same way that you would talk about, say, "Dave & Bob are doing X, and Jane & Emma are doing Y."

N is the other thing somebody could have instead of S, making your assertion in essence "having S makes you more likely to do this than if you had N instead." Meanwhile, J/P is another category entirely, and the one that you should have been focusing on.

You see, we have these things called words that are used to construct full sentences and ideas, and if you were capable or interested in having a discussion about it, you probably would have responded to the point that this is a question of how people are interacting with the world.

TotalAbsolutism, I notice that you've mentioned what the other lantern emotions from Puce's home universe are; I'm curious, will you be noting those via colored highlight in updates as you have for the native colors? Seems like something that the ring would do since it could detect local emotions, and it might be interesting to see.

Could see Lantern Stewart noticing Puce's native emotional colors too, since he's currently the only lantern that's interacted with Puce and its presumed emotional spectrum database, though that'd of course be up to you.

Damn. :( I thought this was being continued.
I update randomly.
TotalAbsolutism, I notice that you've mentioned what the other lantern emotions from Puce's home universe are; I'm curious, will you be noting those via colored highlight in updates as you have for the native colors? Seems like something that the ring would do since it could detect local emotions, and it might be interesting to see.

Could see Lantern Stewart noticing Puce's native emotional colors too, since he's currently the only lantern that's interacted with Puce and its presumed emotional spectrum database, though that'd of course be up to you.
The reason it notes the local ones is because those are the ones with power. Its own spectrum doesn't exist; except for Contempt, which was dragged in and now has its own Central Power Battery.

Brief thought on shields: While contempt for the attack mages sense, so might contempt for bei attacked or wounded, thus coming from the other end about what to feel contempt for. Or even contempt for being unprotected (which should be fairly easy to produce when you're about to be hour for massive damage otherwise :p )

Brief thought on shields: While contempt for the attack mages sense, so might contempt for bei attacked or wounded, thus coming from the other end about what to feel contempt for. Or even contempt for being unprotected (which should be fairly easy to produce when you're about to be hour for massive damage otherwise :p )
What? You're missing a few words.
"A brief thought on the subject of shields: While the conceptual use of weaponized contempt on the attack itself is feasible, perhaps a more generalized contempt for being attacked, or injured at all, mayhaps even extending that general contempt to being left vulnerable, could lead to curious and novel applications. The contempt for inefficiency potentially benefits the SI more than a point contempt-defense."

I don't think the protagonist here has the right mindset for that. Remember his contempt for himself was strong enough to remake himself from the ground up.

Your idea would work better for a Gilgamesh type character. One with overwhelming pride in himself.

"A brief thought on the subject of shields: While the conceptual use of weaponized contempt on the attack itself is feasible, perhaps a more generalized contempt for being attacked, or injured at all, mayhaps even extending that general contempt to being left vulnerable, could lead to curious and novel applications. The contempt for inefficiency potentially benefits the SI more than a point contempt-defense."
Thank you, typing from mobile is a bitch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back