• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

A Sapient Megadungeon is You (Generic D&Dish fantasy)

[X] Quest Spot: A repeatable quest occurs inside you. Adventurers will be sent to your location repeatedly even if you offer no treasure. Your reward reputation increases by 20% permanently (minimum +1). The details of the quest must be fixed and fairly simple, but can be used to trap adventurers and will upgrade with the dungeon.

[X] Character Sheets: Obtain more detailed information about each adventurer before they enter your trials.

Guys, why are you picking options more likely to deter adventurers? Especially that Betrayal thing, if that leaks we'll be getting very few, if any, people wanting to come.

No, better to have a quest available. It'll attract more adventurers.

And why the voice? Knowing more about our victims strengths and weaknesses is far more important then being able to talk to them.

I mean, our current reputation has us as being more dangerous then valuable. By raising our reward reputation, while striving to keep our danger reputation low, will mean we'll be getting a lot of adventurers coming. A few not coming back is unfortunate, but if risk/reward ratio is low, then people won't care.

In contrast, by making ourselves more dangerous, without making ourselves more valuable, will mean that people will be looking elsewhere, leaving only the dumb, desperate and skilled. And as they die, the situation will simply get worse.

Last edited by a moderator:
RE: Goddess of Betrayal

Several Reasons:

1. As sacrifices go Betrayal is easy. The power explicitly states they'll get a boon out of it, and adventurer's are loot crazy. Kill a friend, get a powerup? Heck, why not two!

2. Betrayal doesn't imply the strongest gets the boon. It implies the most morally compromised does. Not to mention this kind of thing may tear a party apart, and lead to even more deaths for us.

3. We're a three room dungeon. Stick the goddess room first and leave all the traps in the next two. They're already weakened, if not completely spent. We don't even have to DO anything if they decide the boon is enough and fuck off, we just get a free nom at no cost to self.

4. Look back up at 2 and 3. Party tears itself apart, survivors fuck off to tell tales. More adventurer's come looking for the dungeon because they know for a fact it hasn't been looted yet. Or it leads to number 5.

5. Religious types. Dark gods aren't terribly popular choices for neighbors. Having the ACTIVE influence of a goddess that probably doesn't get much reprieve is going to draw A) Cultists and B) Paladins. Good luck figuring out which is crazier, but both of would be focused on the goddess more than us. Someone or something is going to die, and its pretty likely that we aren't going to catch the flak if things go really bad.

-=-=-=-

I'd also like to note that this is why I'm against Voice. There's literally no reason to let people know we're sentient, that's just asking for trouble. Better to deflect and distract from our true nature so we can be a more effective killer.

Thing is, I don't think that's wise.

I think a better path would to be viewed as an "easy, but rewarding" dungeon, meaning we're going to be seeing a lot of "business". With the ability to see character sheets, we'll be able tell who are easy marks, and who are not. Once we get the right person or group coming in, our trap is sprung. They come in expecting an easy time with easily detected traps, and find a murderous trial awaits them, both going forward and back. They die, dungeon resets back to the easy configuration, and no one notices the statistical anomaly.

[X] Extreme Element
--[X] Dark
[X] Voiced

[X] the Cavern of Lewd Perversions.

Glados ? No... Poisonous Glados!

[X] Extreme Element
--[X] Dark
[X] Quest Spot: A repeatable quest occurs inside you. Adventurers will be sent to your location repeatedly even if you offer no treasure. Your reward reputation increases by 20% permanently (minimum +1). The details of the quest must be fixed and fairly simple, but can be used to trap adventurers and will upgrade with the dungeon.

[ ] Divine/Demonic Crucible
-[ ]The Archdevil of Justice- Adventurers must overcome a room's challenges while obeying some restriction. "No weapon may be drawn" or "No blood may be shed" are common examples. Your traps and monsters are bound by the same restrictions.

I believe that this option offers a great deal of versatility. Tailoring restrictions to the opposition should be fun.

[ ]Voiced: Grant yourself speech in the language of men. You may speak to adventurers, taunting them, tricking them and tempting them or simply engaging them in conversation. Prerequisite for Corrupter

Now, the obvious use for this ability is taunting, but that's a waste. Instead, encouraging is what we want to do~
Warn the adventurers that they will be tested, be friendly, fake empathy.
Perhaps pose as an imprisoned god? And maybe, in the last room, give the party a choice between taking the treasure or "Saving us".
Well, that would require some form of illusion magic, so maybe later.

Edit; Also, I shall change my vote for a name.
(I'm not sure if there will be any, and this is not in NSFW, but I like the name.)
(And I shall live in hope)

I think Dark and Voiced would work well together. Voices in the dark leading them into impossible to see traps, imitating the voice of their friends to shout false warnings, whisper directly behind their shoulder to make them think there's some monster they can't see because of the dark etc.

[X] Divine/Demonic Crucible
-[X]The Purveyor of Wisdom: Adventurers must successfully answer three riddles of your choosing to advance.
[X] Voiced

The riddles Sound good because we can decide on them ourselves. Make them hard, but still interesting. We can also act like we try to help them with the riddles while at the same time pointing them in the wrong direction. Can we Change the riddles between dungeon walks, or do we have to Chose 3 from the beginning which remain the same?

[X]Crucible: Betrayal
[X]Quest Spot
I'm intending to have the Quest Spot's benefit attract adventurers in spite of the negative reputation effects of the Betrayal boon thing.

[X]Our name shall change as we do.

Going to toss my name vote in for

[X] Gold Depths

We don't have any lewd perversions, so that is a stupid name. Maybe we can change if we do end up getting something like that, but until then it doesn't fit us at all.

[X] Divine/Demonic Crucible:
-[X]The Eternal Gambler: Adventurers must win a fair game of chance to proceed. The precise terms can be established with each trial.
[X] Champion

Because eventually, we will be known as the Gamblers den. A place filled with riches, where those who worship Luck itself can go to face a game of chance to earn the God of Fortunes favor.

And besides, I like the thought of having, at the end of our Dungeon, a Gambling Champion. Effectively, our Champion is the dealer, and we have her play some game or another. Maybe a game of cards, or even Dice? Possibly something else. Something that is easy to cheat. Because those who would Cheat at such a game, would be cursed horrifically. And our Champion could rise up to commit horrific slaughter against whoever insults the great game of Chance that the Eternal Gambler offered them in our dungeon.

Quest is in the normal area mates, as amusing as pervert dungeon would be...

I'm not really sure why the sapient megadungeon would be interested in sex, really. I mean, maybe as a lure, but perverted cave-drawings meant to entice seem kind of useless for that purpose.

I suppose our spawnable minions allow for bestiality, but what benefit does sex have for the dungeon?

-[X]The Archdevil of Justice- Adventurers must overcome a room's challenges while obeying some restriction. "No weapon may be drawn" or "No blood may be shed" are common examples. Your traps and monsters are bound by the same restrictions.

[X]Voiced: Grant yourself speech in the language of men. You may speak to adventurers, taunting them, tricking them and tempting them or simply engaging them in conversation. Prerequisite for Corrupter

[X] Voiced
[X] Quest Spot

We are literally drawing up material from the earth so we could be a fetch quest to gather mythral or oricalcum or whatever. Basically rare smithing materials. Now with voiced we have the option of coming up with riddles where in you get it right you get some materal you get it wrong you get squished for those dumb fighters that show up. And then if its a more cerebral type that shows up we can switch back to to the animals and blood and gore and such... or have both at the same time? Yeah that fits. Fight your way to the wall and only then can you do the riddle to earn some rare smithing materials for your weapons and armor.

[X]Quest Spot: A repeatable quest occurs inside you. Adventurers will be sent to your location repeatedly even if you offer no treasure. Your reward reputation increases by 20% permanently (minimum +1). The details of the quest must be fixed and fairly simple, but can be used to trap adventurers and will upgrade with the dungeon.

More adventurers with less effort? Yes please~!

[X] Character Sheets: Obtain more detailed information about each adventurer before they enter your trials.

Lets us pick and choose which adventurers to kill off quickly.

Fellgar said:
We are literally drawing up material from the earth so we could be a fetch quest to gather mythral or oricalcum or whatever. Basically rare smithing materials. Now with voiced we have the option of coming up with riddles where in you get it right you get some materal you get it wrong you get squished for those dumb fighters that show up.
Magical materials like that are probably Treasure 4+ if we can make them at all.

A tally, for everyone to analyse:
by plan said:
DeAnno, WyldCard4, Jiven, another advent: total 4
[X] Extreme Element
--[X] Dark
[X] Voiced: Grant yourself speech in the language of men. You may speak to adventurers, taunting them, tricking them and tempting them or simply engaging them in conversation. Prerequisite for Corrupter

BFldyq, Happery, Vindictus: total 3
[X] Quest Spot:
[X] Character Sheets:

Robotninja, silversun17, Fellgar: total 3
[X] Voiced- Who doesn't want to be Glados?
[X] Quest spot

mc2rpg, Drakebane: total 2
[X] Extreme Element
--[X] Dark
[X] Quest Spot

Jans, Eler0: total 2
-[X] The Goddess of Betrayal- To proceed, a party must sacrifice at least one member. The precise form required of the sacrifice is variable
[X] Extreme Element
-[X] Dark

Valette-Serafina, megrisvernin: total 2
-[X]The Archdevil of Justice
[X]Voiced

imposter36: total 1
-[X] The Goddess of Betrayal- To proceed, a party must sacrifice at least one member. The precise form required of the sacrifice is variable
[X]Voiced: Grant yourself speech in the language of men. You may speak to adventurers, taunting them, tricking them and tempting them or simply engaging them in conversation. Prerequisite for Corrupter

Emral282: total 1
[X] Extreme Element. Your body has a strong association with a single element. Only one such option may be chosen.
-[X] Dark: Your dungeon is exceptionally dark. Nonmagical lamps go out quickly and those without dark vision are surely doomed. Light elemental monsters are weakened.

Bloodshifter: total 1
-[X]The Guardian of all Secrets: To pass, the adventurers must discover a dark secret of one of their own.
[X] Voiced: Grant yourself speech in the language of men. You may speak to adventurers, taunting them, tricking them and tempting them or simply engaging them in conversation. Prerequisite for Corrupter

Heaven Canceler: total 1
-[X]The Purveyor of Wisdom: Adventurers must successfully answer three riddles of your choosing to advance.
[X] Voiced

Winged One: total 1
-[X] The Goddess of Betrayal
[X]Quest spot

Darik29: total 1
-[X]The Eternal Gambler: Adventurers must win a fair game of chance to proceed. The precise terms can be established with each trial.
[X] Extreme Element
--[X] Dark

by option said:
imposter36, Robotninja, silversun17, Fellgar, DeAnno, WyldCard4, Jiven, another advent, Bloodshifter, Valette-Serafina, megrisvernin, Heaven Canceller: total 12
[X] Voiced

mc2rpg, Drakebane, Emral282, DeAnno, WyldCard4, Jiven, another advent, Jans, Elero0, Darik29: total 10
[X] Extreme Element
--[X] Dark

mc2rpg, Drakebane, BFldyq, Happery, Vindictus, Robotninja, silversun17, Fellgar, Winged One: total 9
[X] Quest Spot

imposter36, Jans, Elero0, Winged One: total 4
-[X] The Goddess of Betrayal

BFldyq, Happery, Vindictus, Emral282: total 4
[X] Character Sheets

Valette-Serafina, megrisvernin: total 2
-[X]The Archdevil of Justice

Bloodshifter: total 1
-[X]The Guardian of all Secrets

Heaven Canceler: total 1
-[X]The Purveyor of Wisdom:

Darike29: total 1
-[X]The Eternal Gambler

Common people, darkness+hard to detect traps=almost impossible to detect traps
And all the quest spot gives us is a modifier we could compensate for with buying more treasure while Darkness is something unique.

Eler0 said:
And all the quest spot gives us is a modifier we could compensate for with buying more treasure while Darkness is something unique.

Absolutely true. Quest post in really too minor for our purpose.

Sssss. Fine. Switch my Champion vote to

[X] Element
-[X] Darkness.

Quest keeps the adventurers coming in no matter how big a pack of assholes we are, though.

Eler0 said:
Assuming, you know, the difficulty doesn't drive people away.

Come on people. Do you not want to have any enter our dungeon at all when they find it far to hard? Quest spot ensures we get a steady supply of adventurers at least, killing them comes later.

BFldyq said:
A tally, for everyone to analyse:

Thanks.

There are also two votes from IRC.

a2znut: [X]Actual Dungeons Actually Included [X] Voiced
And
Kinglugia: [X]Actual Dungeons Actually Included [X] Voiced

Which brings the leading votes to be 14- [X] Voiced 10- [X] Darkness if my count is right.

Going to lock votes then and start on the update.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back