• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

Better Enjoy This While I Can (ASOIAF, Stannis SI.)

Vale's National Sport?

• Cricket

Votes: 7 25.0%
  • Ultimate Frisbee

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • Soccer/Football

Votes: 5 17.9%
  • Basketball/the Mayan version

Votes: 10 35.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Created at
Index progress
Hiatus
Watchers
Recent readers

Better Enjoy This While I Can

A Stannis SI, that embraces having a fully functional body and...
C1: Waking up on the right side of the wrong bed

Flightless Man

Versed in the lewd.
Better Enjoy This While I Can

A Stannis SI, that embraces having a fully functional body and ignores anything but having a good time and making sure Shireen smiles lots before he dies.

I have a lot of health issues and am basically allergic to every single food. With all the ideas for SI's that have come up, I overlooked the simple one of revelling in having a body that can eat anything, doesn't have nerve damage with constant pain, and isn't in the bathroom for as long as Tywin.

It's a comedy, but not quite crack levels of absurdity. I'm expecting about 10 chapters and just want something lighthearted to get me back into writing.

Waking Up On the Right Side Of The Wrong Bed.

When my eyes flicker open like I've trained myself to years ago, I carefully slide out of bed without disturbing my fiance. The cold stone floor shocks me into a clearer head and I flail awkwardly for where the light switch should be on the wall.

It's so early that the sun hasn't even started to rise yet and for the first time in years, I'm not in excruciating pain the moment I'm awake. The pain must still just be asleep, better get to the bathroom before it catches up to me.

Deftly avoiding the desk with the wobbly lamp, I instead bang my knee hard against a dresser I wasn't ready for. She must have been rearranged after I passed out last night... again.

The noise doesn't wake her up, but my hissed cursing gets her to mumble at me with a rather strange tone to her voice. She sounds kind of stuffed up, hope we aren't going to get sick.

"Don't worry darling." My reassuring words get my fiance to lay back down without only one more tired grunt. "I'm just going to do my usual business. no need for you to get up."

Finally giving up on finding the light in my grogginess, I shuffle carefully towards the crack of orange light peeking in from the gap between the door and floor. The linoleum looks so dirty it's almost a reddish brown. Going to need to do some cleaning after breakfast.

I freeze the moment my hand grabs an iron ring instead of the cheap brass doorknob on my bedroom. Did we spend the night at the party? My eyes squint and try to get any definition from the room I'm in. Because this definitely isn't my room.

Instead of staying in the dark on my situation, I muster up enough energy to pull on the surprisingly heavy door. Light pours into the room immediately and draws another groan from the bed so I slip out and use my body to block as much of the light as I can.

When I get the door closed again and turn to glare at the lamp, I'm shocked to find a torch. The stone wall isn't quite the right colour for a brick wall and I don't see any mortar between these massive blocks.

"Stannis?" An older man's voice cuts through my confusion and I glance over my shoulder to find a broad shouldered man giving me a strange look. His mouth is slightly ajar and I blink at how many teeth he's missing.

"Is something wrong?" The tone is cordial but lacks the warmth of true friendship. Did he say Stannis?

"I'm not sure," I admit after a few more seconds of examining the blue eyed man returning his own stare with the sharpness of a falcon. "I thought I needed to do some business, but I think it can wait for morning."

The man who still has some blonde hair mixed in with his silvery white strands gives me a relieved look ad nods. "That's good news, I only finished with the last of Robert's tasks and was dreading another sleepless night going over things with you."

As we talk in the castle corridor, memories begin to mix with my own. Lord Jon Arryn isn't wrong to call me Stannis and I can't blame him for the tense look. The two of us are planning to reveal Cersei's betrayal to Robert once we have secured the last of the evidence.

Even though I realize how dangerous things have suddenly become for me, I just can't find it in me to care. Stannis may have a stick up his ass, but at least he has a body not riddled with illness and injury.

I can even deal with being nearly bald if I can finally eat cheese again. I never expected to live a long life, so I'm just going to consider every day I get as if it was an extended last meal.

"We can talk later." Waving him off with an overwhelmed look of my own, the Lord of the Vale marches of for his tower before anyone else can try and get him to do more work. "Don't want you to keel over on me."

As soon as he's around the corner, my mind starts to race through Stannis' memories of the Red Keep's layout. He rarely goes to them, but he's well aware of where the kitchens are located.

With a growing smirk, I stride towards the rooms that should be getting ready for breakfast. The few servants I pass only get as far as a slight widening of their eyes before they force them to the floor. It's only when I pass an expertly polished set of armour and see my reflection, that I finally realize what all the looks are about.

Stannis probably doesn't walk the castle in his bed clothes very often. I nearly giggle at that idea and that sends a pair of maids scurrying away before I notice them.

Relishing the fact that I'm over six feet tall, decently muscled, and have working bowels, I decide not to waste the time to change and continue my predawn stroll. I can smell bread baking, I'm getting close!

"Prince Stannis!" A gasp comes from the head cook when I'm spotted watching from the door. "What can I do for you?"

"Some of that bread when it's cooled to start with." My words just make the pudgy redhead blink a few times in confusion. "Cheese and slices of meat would be nice, but don't prepare anything fresh for me. I'm fine with what the gold cloaks eat."

I end up adding at least one of every fruit and vegetable I can see on display in the kitchen and soon have a heaping pile of food. While my mouth waters, I ignore the mixed looks of disgust and amazement on the servants faces.

I manage to get all the food on a single silver tray but don't have any hands left for my three different kinds of fruit juice. Trying to eat in the kitchens is a failure, none of the servants can work properly while they think I'm judging their performance.

After my third attempt to get them to ignore my presence, I decide it's better if I shuffle off to my solar with my prize now claimed. I need a pair of the girls to bring my refreshments, but I do make sure to leave a tip for each of the kitchen staff before we leave.

That just brings me more confused glances and I awkwardly head back towards my families chambers with the maidens who are starting to worry I might decide to try some of my brother's other vices. To assuage that fear, I send them off the moment they set the pitchers down on my sturdy but unadorned desk.

"Tell the kitchens that I have a silver for each person working that day, if I'm brought a sample of any new dish." I prove the claim by pulling a pouch from my desk and counting out one for each person who helped get me fed.

After they scamper back to the kitchens, I start to try all the foods that used to make me physically ill. Tomatoes don't make my mouth bleed and the lobster doesn't give me puffy, tear filled eyes. When I finish the four different kinds of cheese on the platter, my stomach doesn't contort in pain like it has since I was ten.

Deciding the world's going to see a very different Stannis Baratheon for the few years before everything falls apart, I reach back into my desk for some fresh parchment. When I start to write in English, my eyes immediately recognize it as the common tongue of Westeros.

Well that's not going to do, can't have Varys taking credit for 'my' work. With the French I learned well enough in school to get B for all nine years, I use two whole candles before the sun is high enough to provide light.

I manage to get down nearly the entire Queen catalogue before my platter is empty and I hear a knock at my door. "Come in." My words are muffled as I wipe my face, forcing me to repeat myself before the door pushes inwards with a creak.

"Father?" The voice of Shireen slips into my ears and the desire to give this girl the best, is something Stanns and I can both agree on. "Are you feeling alright?"

"I'm feeling better than I ever have my sweet." Wasting no time, I spring to my feet and pull the startled girl into a tight hug. "Is their anything you've always wanted but have been to afraid to ask me for?"

She hesitates and I try hard to avoid glancing at her scaly cheek. "You wouldn't approve."

The world is only going to hurt this girl and she's one of the few spots of true undiluted goodness in the entire series as far as I'm concerned. I'm going to need to send a letter to Lord Tarth and see about getting Brienne's services secured. Even if I die, she'll keep Shireen safe with Davos.

Davos... He's going to need a proper reward and some real time off to spend with his family. "I woke up and realized just how lucky I really am." She frowns at the words, making me poke her right on the nose and beep. "You're amazing and so is you're mother." If I'm stuck with Selyse now, I may as well try making it more than bearable.

"I have and incredible right hand in Davos and my brother told the world I was his heir when he gave me Dragonstone." Maybe I can even avoid gruesome death if I play my cards right.

The death Robert is driving himself to all on his own is my new goal. My pondering end when Shireen finally musters up the courage to admit her request.

"I want to go to a tourney." Her voice is soft and hesitant, fully expecting me to squash the idea without a second thought.

"Wouldn't it be better," She doesn't even let me finish be her face drops in prepared disapointment. "If we threw one ourselves?"

That has her gasp in disbelief and look up with shimmering eyes. "Really?" Her doubt just makes me grin and nod firmly. "But you said it was a waste of money." She frowns as another concern rises. "And Dragonstone isn't large enough to have a proper one."

"Well..." My playful smile has her excited. "Robert gave me Dragonstone when I was his heir, but that's not my position anymore." Renly won't give up Storm's End, but I don't have Stannis' attachment for it either. "I'll need to speak with my brother and his wife first, but I think we can arrange to have a tourney by your next nameday."

Chapter 2: Is It Too Late To Start Over?
Chapter 2: Is It Too Late To Start Over?
Selyse Baratheon

When Shireen doesn't return with her father, I realize his strange mood must not have passed. He called me 'darling'.

Approaching his solar with a frustrated huff, I hear one of the most unexpected things. Are they... signing?

Shaking off the hesitation and knocking lightly on the door doesn't work. It's not until I'm nearly banging on the door with a fist, that my arrival is heard.

"Who is it?" The voice of Davos Seaworth is the one that finally speaks with barely concealed amusement.

"Is my lord husband inside with you?" I'm forced to grunt out through gritted teeth, despite knowing full well he hasn't left since the servants brought his feast.

Instead of the normal gruff tone Stannis has had since the day we met, he calls out my name with what almost sounds like joy. "Selyse!"

He hisses at someone to open the door while I try to wipe the look of concern from my face. Stannis will not be happy if I try to use emotions to get my way. With no desire to face days of stony silence again, I enter the moment the fool opens the door.

"I'm so glad you came," My husbands swift approach startles me and I nearly gasp when her pulls me into a hug. "We're just trying to decide on our family song and I could really use some support on the clearly superior choice." He gives the other three a stern look but that only makes Shireen giggle in response.

Patchface claps behind her and his bells jingle annoyingly. "Only a fool would think a song about riding a horse would be a good choice." The simpleton smirks at my husband who just rolls his eyes in frustration. "But I don't hear any grinding.

"It's not about riding a horse," Drawls my husband with more good humour than I've ever heard in his voice. "It's 'I want to ride my des-tri-er'." He sing's the last part with a shockingly good voice. "Shireen at least picked a good one. 'I want to break free' is a great song but would just give everyone the wrong idea."

Ser Seaworth interjects with an apologetic smile towards my daughter. "I must agree with your father Shireen. It would not be a good choice for a second son."

"What are the other options?" I manage to ask when I realize all eyes are expectantly waiting for me to say something.

That just makes me sure I'm still in bed asleep. I get what feels like an afternoon of song choices that leave me in a dazed state. The platter of food has been picked over by all present but I manage to grab a few pieces of cheese in my distraction.

Somehow I manage to avoid giving a solid answer but I don't miss hearing what my husband says to his right hand man. "I better not see you back here for a whole month Davos."

"You go spend some well earned time off with Marya and the kids." Did the man do something especially valuable lately? "I'll be fine for a few weeks. Just deliver the letters and teach your people how to play in time for the tourney."

"You're sure that all you need me to do is bring these to the maester?" The lowborn knight holds up three sealed letters and my curiosity grows.

"I hope I have time to get Tarly's son sent to squire for me." My look must have been noticed, because Stannis gives me what on what anyone else would be called a half smile. "I've... heard the boy is brilliant and I think it's about time Lord Randall gets credit for his victory."

Perking up at the mention of the letters, Shireen stops at the door and hesitantly asks her now clearly smiling father a question. "And Lady Brienne will come be my friend?"

"I want her to protect you most of all," Stannis corrects her before leaning down to press a soft kiss to her temple. "But I do intend to help you make some friends your own age."

Lord Arryn wishes for his son to foster with me, but I feel it would be better to invite his mother along with Robin." He turns to me now and my cheeks grow warm at the glance towards my chest. "I wouldn't ask Lady Lysa to leave her child with someone she doesn't trust. So I'm going to need you're help in showing her we only want the best for her son."

"Of course." Even if I wanted to argue, I couldn't. Stannis has never looked at me like this before and I would do anything to ensure he does it again.

"Thank you my darling." He repeats the phrase I thought was only a dream and know everyone must hear the hammering in my chest. "I knew I could count on you."

Realizing that only explains two letters, I risk asking about the last one. "And the third letter, who is it for?"

"The Starks." My husband answers with no hint of annoyance and seems eager to discuss it with someone new. "If Lord Eddard could keep my brother contained while they had been young men, maybe Shireen would be able to do the same with his more wild daughter."

"You intend to send her to the North?" That worries me greatly.

"I don't really intend anything yet." He counters without losing the grin, giving me the courage to continue arguing if he sticks with such a crazy idea. "But I learned about these things the Ibbense use to stave off the cold. The maester said these 'saunas' have left Ib with no recorded cases of greyscale in the last forty years."

"Father's sending Lord Stark the instructions to make them and he's even going to send them to the Iron Isles." Blurts out Shireen making Stannis nod slowly.

"It's a contagious disease and almost half of the cases in Westeros come from the isles. It's only sensible to limit new outbreaks from reaching the mainland." His words make sense, but I'm still shocked he would consider the health of Ironborn.

Realizing he still hasn't answered the question, I steer the conversation back to the Starks. "And what do you intend with Shireen?"

"Make sure she's happy." He answers simply and I'm left at a loss for words.

I don't notice when everyone else leaves, even with Shireen's very vocal goodbye. It takes a while to find the words but eventually decide to keep it simple.

"What's going on?"

Stannis just shrugs and takes my hand in his own. "I spoke to the maester a while ago..."

"And?" His pause is concerning but he's not normally one for such dramatics.

"I don't expect to live all that long." That shocks me into silence and I can feel my jaw hanging loose. "So I've decide it's time to stop griping about what I don't have and focus on how lucky I have been."

"Shireen will get the best and so will you." His stare bores into my head until I meet his blue eyes with my own. "You've been devoted and loyal, which I know is rare after our time in the capital."

"Oh." My cheeks are definitely pink now but he doesn't stop with his kind words.

"I haven't done my duty to you and I'm sorry." He gives my hand a squeeze and in this moment I know I would forgive him anything. "I promised to love you when we first wed but I have failed in that nearly every day since."

Is this what swooning feels like? "From now on that will change... for as long as I'm still alive at least." That splash of dread dampens the mood. "Before I go talk to Robert, would you be alright with living at Summerhall?"

"But that's just ruins." He nods and explains that Dragonstone is for the heir and that's not his position anymore.

"We need to bargain now while we still have a position of strength and brother on the throne." The grim look that replaces the smile makes me worry. "Once Robert is gone, Dragonstone will be given to Tommen."

"So you intend to trade what you know will be taken?" I realize why he appears to be making such a poor choice and start to nod along with him.

"And hopefully before Cersei realizes my offer is already her sons." Standing and stretching after his day behind a desk, I notice he's still in his be clothes. "How do you feel about Edric staying with us? I want to speak to Renly before he and his squire leave."

"The reason?" That will change how I feel by a wide margin.

"If he and Shireen like each other, I can press for him to be legitimized." The idea doesn't seem to be a goal only a consideration and so I don't get irritated at not being told before now. "If they don't... I'd rather raise Renly's heir with a Baratheon around and not leave it all to Ser Penrose."

With confidence only gained by noticing yet another glance at my chest, I grab my husbands arm. "You should change before you see them..." With a gulp I try to purr. "Maybe after we try again for an heir?"

Last edited:
Chapter 3: White Lies
Chapter 3: White Lies

The spring in my step as I approach the throne room is drawing almost as many eyes as my bed clothes had earlier. But it's really the smile that seems to be scaring people away from me. How could Stannis ignore a wife as wild as Selyse?

I spent my entire life knowing I was barely above average in the looks department, but I realized something very early on in life. Enthusiasm makes up for a lot and we both had more than enough to make us both tens.

It's well past midday by the time I'm ready to meet with King Robert,=. Who I really must start thinking of as my brother, if I want this to work.

"You're late!" Caws out the already flushed face of the eldest Baratheon, while Lord Arryn gives me an unreadable look from his place standing at my brother's right. "Has that ever happened before Jon?"

"Not that I can recall," Admits the one actually keeping the Kingdom running.

Renly may not be politically deft but he does know people, his eyes lighting up in amusement when he sees something in my expression. "It's also the first time I've ever seen him smile."

"Incredible midday sex will do that." My smile only grows as my reply gets gasps of shock from all four men. "We both tried a bunch of new things and I'm regretting treating it like a duty for so long."

"I spent my whole life being miserable," Admitting that is easy, the memories of Stannis really highlight his depression. "But my brothers always seemed to be able to smile and have a good time."

Those words shock my siblings into a silent stupor, with Robert's mouth hanging open wide enough to catch a hummingbird. Even Jon exchanges a look of disbelief with Ser Barristan, currently standing guard at Robert's left.

"... What?" Renly manages to get out a coherent reply first and I can only give him a shrug.

"Your perspective on things changes when you know your candle is burning low." I've decided the easiest way to stay off of the board is to make it appear as if the piece is already on it's way back into the box.

Jon realizes the deeper meaning and his eyes narrow on me in concern. "What are you trying to say?"

"My maester on Dragonstone gave me at most a decade, but more realistically..." I let the words hang as Renly and Robert's eyes both go grim with comprehension. "I'm looking at three to five years before I'm dead."

"Truly?" With a soft voice, Robert actually looks on me with concern that makes the remnant of Stannis smirk inside me.

"I'd like to enjoy life first and I know no one better to emulate in this than my brothers." Now I need to be careful in how I phrase this, because one wrong word could still set Robert off. "First I need to thank you Robert and then apologize for how ungrateful I have been all these years."

No one says anything in response to that and it gives me the chance to press on with my words. "I could only focus on what I had lost and not the honour you showed the world I had earned." Buttering him up should be easy with the whole dying thing. "You named me your heir when you gave me Dragonstone but that's not a position I can hold anymore."

"No..." My older brother shakes his very pale face. "I guess you can't."

"It should go to Joffrey until he is king." I ignore Jon's widening eyes. "And since I have no desire to steal from my younger brother, who I can finally admit I love." That gets Renly to nearly fall over in a complete shock. "I figured I should ask you both if I can have the Summerhall lands. I want to leave something for Shireen and the son we still hope to have before my end."

"But it's just rubble, why would you want it?" Renly isn't against the idea, but he at least has seen the ruins in the last few months.

"I want to be closer to you and have Shireen get to know her uncle and cousin Edric." That silences him with eyes nearly popping out of his sockets. "I'm not going to be able to protect her forever, so I need to make sure she's prepared to live in a world without me."

Grim silence fills the throne room at my last remark and I desperately think of a way to lift he mood again. "Besides, I can't really throw a tourney on such a small island."

"You want to throw one?" My little brother is leaning against a pillar for support.

A simple nod is all I give him in response before I turn back to Robert. "You're probably going to want to start looking for a new Master of Ships as well."

"Might I recommend a Manderly, if you want to start mending fences with your friend Lord Stark." I manage to say his name with none of Stannis' vitriol, getting raised eyebrows from both Jon and Robert. Or at least someone from Dorne or the Reach." Anything to keep things stable just a few months longer.

"What are you going to do?" Jon is fishing for information and probably thinks this is part of our plan to replace Joffrey. "A man can do a lot in three years." His mind must be racing to make connections that don't actually exist.

"I intend to spend as much of my remaining time with my family as I can." A look of sudden inspiration crosses my face and I smile at Lord Arryn. "My brother had great fun growing up with you and Lord Eddard in the Vale. I intended to ask Lord Stark to have one of his daughters ward with me until my demise." Robert is grinning like a loon at that idea.

"But what if I ask him to also send a son to spend time with Edric and if his lady wife brings them South..." Finally Jon sees my plan and begins nodding along with me. "Her sister and Nephew may like to join them for a time?"

Seeing the wine glass clutched absently in Robert's hand, I clap to disperse the sombre mood. "What vintage was that? If I'm going to start drinking, I may as well get advice from the best."

Standing with a face splitting smile on his face, Robert rushes forward and grabs me and Renly in a tight embrace. "It's about damned time!"

With the easy part out of the way, I stride towards Lord Tywin's solar as soon as I'm informed of the uueen's arrival. All I had to do was tell a few red cloaks that I needed to ask them for a favour and they insisted on informing me themselves.

When I'm allowed inside the far more resplendent room than my own, I take the simple and unadorned chair left available across from the smirking Lord Lannister. "And how can we be of assistance to you Lord Stannis?"

Good, no wasting time on pleasantries. "I want to give Joffrey Dragonstone for his nameday but I'm going to need some funds to rebuild Summerhall in it's place."

"..." I can hear the flies above the wine buzzing in the silence my comment creates.

"I'll help him get established with his future vassals and make sure he knows how I keep them inline." Keeping my face blank, I nearly break when a look of glee flashes across Cersei's admittedly beautiful face. "In exchange, I'm asking for enough funds to build a small keep on the cleared lands where Summerhall once stood."

"I believe that can be arranged." Silencing his eager daughter with only a glance, Tywin barely even allows his own lips to quirk upwards.

We shake hands over his red desk I believe is cherry. "Now on to Lord Arryn's investigation."

The bluntness of my words gets a gasp out of Cersei and I do feel my face twist into a wry grin. "What do you know?"

"He's looking into Robert's bastards in case Joffrey is deemed unsuitable." I quickly hold up a hand to stall her. But unlike her father, I get sputtering instead. "All three of us can privately acknowledge he has some concerning traits but he is the heir." That gets approving looks from both Lannisters.

"Lord Tywin," I speak to him directly and with just a hint of begging. "You are going to be needed to guide the prince now, before he is too old to be shaped any longer. Otherwise he will turn many houses against him in his first year as king." And you know how long it takes to rebuild a reputation.

"I'm going to keep Lord Arryn busy and collect the known bastards, tying them to equally low matches to ensure they can't be used against my nephew." I can't save them all and I only know the names of a handful, but I can try to keep those four alive.

"I'm already having the Tarly heir sent so he can make eyes at the Vale bastard once she arrives." It hurts me to say the words but I manage to say it with a straight face somehow. "And the beast of Tarth will be used to keep the Storm boy away from the public eye."

The devious looks I get in response are enough to chill my soul. But I'm not trying to save the world, just a few children. If I need to make a few deals with a pair of devils, I will.

Chapter 4: Watch and Learn
Chapter 4: Watch and Learn
Varys

Nestled in the secret rookery below Pycelle's own, I find nothing of use inside any of the letters sent by Lord Stannis. The one hailing the lord of Tarth is filled with simple greetings and a request for him to bring his daughter to Dragonstone. What he could want with the unfortunate girl I know not, but it is something to keep an eye on.

A similar message was sent to the Lord of Hornhill, asking for his son Samwell to come squire for Stannis. Though that one was filled with respectful acknowledgement of his past success in the rebellion, instead of the flowery praise he used on Lord Tarth.

"Who knew the grim faced Baratheon was so good with his words beneath such an acidic personality?" My chuckling gets the ravens agitated, with the biggest one even giving a few temperamental flaps to draw my attention back to him. "He's never shown this level of social grace before."

Good thing he's not long for the world or I may have had to arrange something. It seems Stannis could have actually tried his hand at playing king if Jon and he had their way.

Dropping a glob of the same wax from Lord Stannis' desk onto the letter, I carefully press it with a copy of his seal. With a frown at how mundane they all turned out to be, I realize I've only truly learned one thing. Stannis has been choosing to be difficult for all these years.

With a final hiss of frustration, I release the small flock back to their aerial delivery. Stannis surprised me with both the suddenness of his meeting with the Lannisters and it's brevity. I didn't have time to hear anything important.

If Stannis can't keep Cersei and her little terror occupied, it seems I'll need to remind Lord Arryn he has another brother to groom how he sees fit. Inspiration strikes me when I think back to the letters and I allow a smirk to flicker across my face faster than cracking glass.

Lord Stark may be sending some of his children South and if that happens... he might be convinced to take Stannis' position on the Small Council. That would keep Baelish focused on personal matters instead of messing with my plans.

Glancing at the single lit candle I brought, I scowl at how the groove I marked has nearly been reached by the flame. With my time nearly up, I'm forced to rush through my change into one of my least favourite disguises. Acting and appearing like an old woman from Crackclaw Point is easy and not something that bothers me in the slightest.

It's just the itchy burlap clothing that I should have never chosen in the first place that makes it nearly unbearable. Giving myself a proper once over in the grimy mirror I hauled in here years ago, everything wrinkle is up to my inspection. Would be embarrassing to mess up a disguise I've been using for the better part of two decades.

Barely climbing out of the sewer in time to see Stannis and his pair of guards turn off the Hook onto Muddy Way. Off to the Street of Steel, just like you let slip in the kitchens this morning. But is it the same shop that Lord Arryn always visits?

The trio stop for long enough that I nearly overtake them, even with my snail paced shuffling. The King's brother has a look of strange intensity as he watches a whore be haggled with for her services.

I know you don't approve of the profession, but surely you aren't going to cause a scene in the middle of the street. Stannis takes a few deep breathes and shakes his head to clear whatever thought struck him before continuing his trek towards the more expensive shops as we climb Visenya's Hill.

Taking note of each place he stops on the way, I'll need to send someone by later to find out exactly what he's placing all these orders for. I thought the Lannister loan was for keep, not these flights of fancy.

With my curiosity growing with each consecutive stop, I decide to follow them inside the woodcarver's shop to see what I can hear up close. Malegorn, the far less friendly of the two guards, sees me and nearly chases me out.

Before he can get more than a few harsh words out in my direction, Stannis intervenes. And with more kindness than I can ever remember him using inside the Red Keep.

"M'lord, wait!" Quickly holding up the pouch of coins I had managed to grab out of his desk earlier, an honest to the Seven smile fills his face. "You dropped this just outside."

"No I didn't." He shakes his head firmly and I start to get concerned when he checks with both guardsmen. "Is that either of yours'?"

Malegorn looks like he's about to claim it for himself, but thinks better of it when he gives his lord a second look. "Not mine Lord Stannis and I know Justin here doesn't have a purse that full."

"It's your lucky day," Shrugging with denial, the balding Lord pushes my hand away gently. "But you should probably keep that hidden on your way home and count it when you know it's safe."

"Are you sure?" I make sure to keep enough eagerness in my creaking voice to sell it and Stannis surprises me again with his reaction.

"You need it more than I do and proved you deserve it by this attempt to return the purse." He gives a smile wide enough that I can count all of his still mostly white teeth and reassures me. "Miss..."

When he realizes he doesn't know my name he doesn't shrug it off and instead asks with genuine interest in his eyes. My response has him mutter under his breath about having Varys make sure I got home safely and for Ser Justin to remind him if he forgets.

"It's not like I'll be able to find her again on my own and this matters to the new me I'm trying to be." Stannis explains to the confused Justin Massey before shooting a wry going back over his shoulder in my direction. "Well Miss Ruth from the Cobblers Square. I hope the rest of your day is as amazing as you've turned out to be."

It's harder than I expected to remain in character throughout the interaction, with each minute giving more proof that Stannis has a beating heart in his chest. Squeaking out what will pass for a goodbye, I wait for the door to slam shut before locking eyes with the shopkeeper.

"Our mutual friend wants to know the order and don't waste time, that man is a brisk walker and I'm not getting any younger." The biting tone gets a hesitant nod from Humfrey Waters, far preferring the 'public' persona of this disguise. "All he wants is a wooden hammer?" Why?

"A whole bunch of them and in a whole lot of different colours." He shows how the heads of the mallets are going to screw into the shaft and I still see no purpose for making a worse hammer. "He also want's a few planks made from flexible wood strong enough to bounce a person on a few times. No idea what for though."

"That's for our 'friend' to figure out, you've done your part." And I need to change into something different before they get to far away.

"Well hurry up and go finish yours." Humfrey shoes me off when he realizes he's lost sight of the trio. "He was heading for the smiths and had a far larger list. You should be able to keep him in sight with how single minded he seems to be." I also noticed that about Stannis' change in personality, but it's nice to have some independent confirmation.

Let's find out how well you react to your nephew. Is he going to be a surprise or the real reason I'm following you today?

By the time I force myself into a clay splattered potter's disguise, Stannis has drawn quite the crowd around Tobho Mott's shop. A surprise it would seem, but a good one.

Stannis has a shocked teen held in a firm bear hug, both of the Waters boy's feet lifted into the air as he stumbles for words. That problem isn't affecting Stannis though, as he begins peppering the paling boy with questions.

After declaring the boy his nephew for the whole street to hear, he gives his list to Tobho Mott and drags the overwhelmed Gendry along after him. Promises of letting him squire along with the Tarly boy are mildly concerning at first. But it's when I hear Stannis mention finding his nephew a nice girl like a Flowers or a Hill to settle down with that I start to realize Stannis isn't some hidden genius trying to claim power.

Chapter 5: Pool Party
Chapter 5: Pool Party
Stannis

Giving the springs one final test to make sure they will not move, Gendry gives me the signal to slide the treated board securely into place. The limestone tiled pool is ready to be filled and Devan Seaworth eagerly waits with his mallet in hand beside the wedge holding the stream at bay.

"Can I hit it now?" My squire insisted he couldn't go back home with his father and the seven year old has been working himself to exhaustion the last few weeks to prove his worth.

"Lord Stannis already said we have to wait for his brothers," The devoted Gendry insists with a side eyed glance towards me.

I'm pretty sure Devon's just worried I want to replace him with Gendry. And maybe Samwell too... whenever he arrives. But Devon has nothing to worry about, I can have multiple squires.

The only limiting factor is wealth and the Lannisters have provided quite the hefty sum to get me off of Dragonstone within the year. Three hundred and seventy five thousand gold now and another fifty thousand once I move out.

All I need to put up with is Tyrion checking my books while Summerhall is rebuilt. And convince him to let me put in the stadium for the games.

"They won't be much longer lads, the King is quite intrigued by his brother's project." Jon chimes in from the croquet course beside the pool and I see his whole face light up when Robin wins the round. "He's going to love the idea of a game that you play with hammers."

"Remember this is only the casual version, we still have Polo that you play from horseback." And on a way bigger field.

Randall wants to disinherit Samwell and Brienne will need a husband willing to let her fight. I'm hoping just having them around each other will be enough. But I guess I can always just explain my reasoning to the pair if they take too long.

Gendry might only be my squire now, but the only way Cersei is going to let me keep him near me is by asking Robert to name him my heir. If Shireen and Robin get along, I should have my own little block of neutrality I can lean on.

If they aren't a good match, I'm not going to force it. Bran and Arya will be coming South soon enough and Tommen is still an option.

"You really do have the eyes of a falcon," Groans my daughter with mostly good humour in her voice. "I haven't beaten you once."

With a chest puffing up in pride, Robin flashes a charming smile at her. "Thanks, but you just hit the ball too hard Shireen. You'll probably do better with the horse kind."

The look he gives his father is enough to let me know he was coached before being brought for the party. When Jon notices I've caught the exchange, he just gives me a wry look. Sharing a chuckle makes me revel in the fact that I actually have a friend of my own.

Lysa seems to be in a better mood than usual and I'm assuming Baelish has jumped on the chance to use her and Robin to spy on my family. While it makes sense Lysa is latching on to any alternative for what Jon originally told her.

Things are closer to the start of the series than I had first believed. Jon really did just go from fine health to dead in only a week.

"Well..." With a teasing grin I give the seven year old Devon permission to swing. "My brother's aren't the most patient men. It would probably be a better idea to have it at least mostly filled before they arrive."

He blows a raspberry at the older Gendry, drawing giggles from Shireen and Robin as the water starts to pour into the swimming pool. The shallow end is going to only be about three feet deep but near my attempt at a diving board, it's nearly as tall as two Sandors.

As soon as the wedge of wood is knocked away, a six inch stream of the Blackwater rush begins to splash down into the basin. Adopting a false frown that my facial muscles are naturally trained to rest in, I march with my arms crossed towards the pair of boys.

I knew everyone would want to have a hand in the process and prepared ahead of time with more than one blocked of part of the river. "Well this isn't going to work at all. Good thing I gave you all a mallet."

Shireen and Robin are almost bouncing on their heels when they rush over to find me standing beside three more pieces of wood holding back the water. "One for each of you still, but I'd hurry before Joffrey and his siblings get the honour."

It takes almost an entire hour for Robert and his family to arrive, With Cersei regarding Gendry's now lightly dusted dark grey hair with approval. It makes Gendry look just that little bit more like me instead of Robert in his prime and the Queen clearly makes the connection when her conniving smirk shoots my way.

"You've spent weeks digging a pool?" Robert is trying not to look to disappointed, but it seems like he was expecting something a little bit more impressive.

"I didn't dig the pool." I paid the workers to do it with Lannister gold. "I built the Barathaball course and this!"

The confusion of my strange name for croquet is dashed past as I walk over to the diving board and test it with my foot. "I like competition but I've been bored at every single tourney, because they have the same three events that have been done forever."

"You don't really need any fancier ways of beating on another man." Grumbles my older brother and I give him a careful no in response.

"And for a warrior of peak skill that's true." The butter is kept right beside my tongue when Robert is around and I'm being very generous with the serving at the moment. "But I want to leave a legacy beyond my bad attitude."

Even Shireen laughs at that and how light my tone is. "So I've come up with a two week celebration of the Baratheon legacy at it will hopefully be held each spring after I'm gone."

With that perfect segue, I wriggle the sesame seed around my gums and barely keep the wince from my face when I gouge myself deep. A storm of hacking coughs interrupt my speech and when I pull my sleeve away, it's speckled with bright red blood that gets Robert to lose his bluster.

Joffrey actually manages to restrain himself from making a crass comment and I nearly miss Cersei nodding at him with a smirk of her own. "Sorry about that. The more stressed out I allow my self to be, the worse the ulcers get."

I know it's just bacteria. But even in my first life it was only a recent discovery, so it's been a surprisingly effect condition to give myself.

"Sorry about that." When I treat it like something to be ignored, everyone else is quite eager to do the same. "Now, as I was saying." With a single fluid motion that I did not practice dozens of times, I peel of my tunic and grab at the prepared tear in my pants. Yes, I also invented tear away pants.

"I want many ways to witness tests of skill and strength." Climbing onto the stained wooden diving board, my grin becomes face splitting when it begins to bounce properly. "Something like this comes to mind."

Running for the end of the plank, I spring myself three times off the end before shooting over the filled pool. I tuck myself into a ball and manage two full flips before straightening out for my dive.

With almost no splash I slice into the clear water and emerge to the excited clapping of the children. Even Joffrey is so shocked he forgets his own arrogance for a moment.

"And now that I know it works, I want to put it even higher so the divers have more time to do tricks." If the way Loras reacted is any sign, all those summer knights will have a new way to stay entertained. "The children will show you what I think will become the Reach's new favourite pastime and then I can go over my plans for the racetracks." I have no idea why they aren't already racing dogs and horses, but I see no reason to avoid making money of my own.

Chapter 6: Big Waves
Chapter 6: Big Waves
Renly

When the three of us find the throne room already empty, it's with frustration that I realize Stannis must have started without us. The Tarth girl has been nearly as silent as a statue since I picked her up at the docks and I'm getting desperate for the entertainment my drastically changed brother has promised.

"I hope you know what you're getting into," I caution Brienne as we head towards to garden Stannis claimed.

His idea about getting Robert to name his two bastards as our heirs was at first an insult. Slowly I've been picking up on his hints aimed towards myself and Loras and realized he's trying to do me a favour. Not the insults and condemnation I expected, but genuine love I haven't felt in years.

"Last month my brother would have loved this silent protector for Shireen." The buck toothed girl pauses and frowns in confusion as I explain. "Ignore whatever your father said about just staying out of trouble. This new Stannis will be far happier if you involve yourself in his strange new games." And maybe it will keep those love struck eyes of yours away from me.

"Father was just pleased someone saw reason to give me a chance," It's barely above a mumble when she finally does get her words out. "I'll do whatever is required of me to serve Lord Stannis and his family with honour."

With a child's impatience, Edric interrupts with what I'd almost call a whine. "Where is everybody? You said I was going to meet Gendry today."

"And you will Edric and we'll speak to Robert about making things official when the time is right." Loras and I had worried Stannis was making his own plays ahead of schedule. But it really seems like he's giving me all the good cards and keeping the Lannisters focused on him.

Echoing footsteps announce the arrival of a smirking Loras and Samwell. Kind of pudgy and looks like even a dark shadow would spook him. Glancing between the two heirs he requested with slowly dawning understanding, I start to think about Edric potentially being a match for Margaery instead of myself.

"About time you got here!" teases my always gorge's lover, his smile as hard to resist as it always is. "You aren't going to believe what your brother came up with for this feast of his. But let me just say..." He leers at me in a way that promises a good time tonight. "I love his sense of style."

"Well now I'm curious." Stannis has never been big on fashion, so if Loras is pleased it must be incredible.

We get lead out into the garden to the sound of laughter and cheering, punctuated by the occasional splash. Some of the children are smacking coloured balls through some rings with a mallet, while on the other side of the pool I notice some people wearing very little.

"See what I mean?" Whispers Loras low enough that Edric doesn't hear him. "He calls them swimming suits. Says the make you swim faster and Robert insisted the style was sticking around once the ladies came out wearing them."

He's right, I can actually see Robert ogling his won wife right now as she stands at the shallow end with her ladies in waiting. "He convinced Robert to wear so little?" How?

"Told the King that between the three brothers," Stannis heard me and stops before me with an amused grin that still seems out of place. "I'm the ugly brother and still have the stones to wear one." I sputter at how blunt Stannis says it and let my brother handle the introductions.

"It's good to see you again Eddie, you're really starting to look like a Baratheon." My brother watches me at that comment, with me barely nodding enough for him pick up on. "And you two must be Samwell and Brienne. It's so nice to finally meet you both, but we just need a few seconds to deal with some family business."

The two confused heirs watch as Stannis turns and yells out at Robert. My blubbery brother's belly is on full display from his place on top of the bouncing plank of wood and I only hope it doesn't snap in half.

"What is it?" Robert doesn't even sound that drunk and it's getting close to suppertime already.

"Renly is here with Edric and I know you hate wasting time with the boring meetings." Our eldest brother scowls at Stannis' words and agrees firmly.

"Damned straight. I already sit on that throne all day and I don't need to waste anymore time listening to people talk."

"Well then let me do you a favour and get this out of the way fast." Stannis actually winks at me and I'm left stunned for the rest of the conversation. "Me and Renly both need a male heir and we conveniently have two right here with us."

With a wrinkling brow, Robert glances at Edric and Gendry shaking hands. "Is that all you want? Because if so, consider it done." He barks instructions at Jon to make sure it's written down officially and then shrugs off the thought for later.

"You may have done some fancy flips, but let's see someone beat this!" Roars the boisterous Robert as he charges down the board and jumps.

Like a swan he leaps into the air, his arms and legs spreading out like wings as he crashes down in the pool. Landing belly first and soaking anyone within ten feet of the pool, Robert emerges to a roaring of cheers from the gold cloaks.

Glancing back at the men off to the side, I find myself intrigued by the simple act of lifting weight. the barrels are connected by a single bar and seem to be filled with a variety of heavy things.

"That should keep the two safe enough for the foreseeable future." Mutters Stannis as he finally gives his invited guests his full attention.

"Now you're both probably wondering why I wanted you here." That's an understatement.

"Everyone does I'm pretty sure." I know Loras and I have discussed it a few times.

My 'ugly' brother just raises an eyebrow and glances at me. "Well why didn't you just ask?"

"Would you have told me?" The old Stannis never took me seriously as anything but an annoyance. But the man my brother's becoming is still a mystery.

"I told Shireen she was going to have some friends and I meant it." It's a simple statement and contrasts with this more elaborate Stannis. "So I had the spymaster look for people who could also use some."

"What's that supposed to mean?" Brienne finds her courage and actually has a bit of bite to her tone.

"Just that the two of you need this as much as Shireen and Gendry will." Admits Stannis with a quite voice as only Gendry leads Edric and Shireen away. "You two should talk get to know each other while you're staying with us." He vaguely implies with a wave of his hand.

"You don't have duties for us Lord Stannis?" Finally too confused to remain quiet, Samwell adds his won squeaky voice to the conversation. "I want you to help Gendry get up to speed with his lessons and I want Lady Brienne to protect Shireen."

With a startled gasp Brienne interrupts. "You do? Truly?"

"Varys is rarely wrong." Counters Stannis with a soft smile. "And he spoke highly of both of you, so I needed to snap you up before someone else saw your true value." Well... he's just gotten them both to be loyal for life.

The looks in both heirs' eyes is desperation mixed with devotion and I'm starting to get relieved Stannis and I will not be competing for the crown. He might have actually won.

"Now go have some fun and just try to stay out of Joffrey's path. He's promised me he'll be nice to Shireen and the boys..." Stannis gives our 'nephew' a sad look and shakes away whatever thought was filling his head. "But the rest of you are still fair game."

"Take heed of that warning you two." My own words slip out in support and I glance around for listeners when I remember where I am. "He's got a temper and you two are acceptable targets for his lesser cruelties."

"It's probably for the best if you stick to the games in the garden." Stannis points over to a pair of sandpits with a metal pole embedded in each one and clarifies. "Horseshoes is free right now or you can get in line for shuffleboard, it should be free in a few more throws."

Chapter 7: Giving Him The Finger
Chapter 7: Giving Him The Finger
Stannis

"Lord Stannis, wait!" The smarmy voice of Petyr Baelish sends a chill down my spine as Tyrion and I are about to leave the Red Keep.

The last of my orders have been finished and it's time to start filling Tyrrion in on my plans for Summerhall. He seems happy with the idea of a seven star keep and my desire for the courtyard to almost entirely be devoted to socialization.

"What does he want?" Groans my companion just loud enough for me to hear.

"We have a few ways to find out." My voice has a hint of danger as I realize this man is trying to have my only friend killed. "But I prefer the direct approach little brother."

I say it casually and don't really think much of it, he is my goodbrother after all. But from the corner of my eye Tyrion's jaw is hanging low enough to catch cats.

"Sorry it so long to acknowledge you as such but I've been focused on my anger at Robert for a long time." That gets a snort from Tyrion and creates a gleam in the eye of the approaching Petyr. "I'll live longer if I let go of the stress and I realized we're both the ugly brother of our families. I should have offered a hand to you years ago in solidarity, so I hope it's not too late for a dying man to try this properly."

"I've heard that you're looking for performers." Chimes in Littlefinger as his eyes race with schemes I know will be beyond me discovering on my own. "And I believe the eunuch has had a hard time with the task." He knows because I needed a way to make him come to me outside the Red Keep.

"He keeps bringing me children when I need young men and women in good physical condition." I refuse to train children in something so intensive and anyone else will just hurt themselves in the process. "Actually..." Petyr perks up even as Tyrion's face scrunches up in frustration. "You own several brothels, do you not?"

Shock shines in the Master of Coin's eyes and I can see him decide to pounce on the opportunity before it slips away. "You want some of my girls? Or is it the boys you would prefer I show you?"

"Both actually." Tyrion was clearly expecting an outburst directed at Baelish's smug face and starts to choke in shock.

"What?" My goodbrother hisses at me loud enough to draw the guards' stares.

"It'll save time if I go with him now." My words have Petyr nearly dancing on his heels in excitement while I can feel Tyrion's eyes boring into my skull. "If I give you the list of shops, can you go pick everything up for me?"

With a sour expression that I can't really fault, Tyrion finally nods slowly. "I guess."

"Thanks." He scowls but does accept. "I'll meet you back with your father when I'm finished?"

Tyrion and my own guards march of with only a few confused glances being sent my way as Littlefinger and I head off towards the Street of Silk. The schemer doesn't waste time and starts to pry as soon as we're on the move.

"I never would have expected you to take me up on the offer, let alone be so public with your..." His hand gives a little twirl as he tries to avoid actually saying it. "Desires."

"I said I needed performers and I actually mean it." With a firm voice I make my point clearly. "I'm not looking to hire a few whores for a night or two. I'm offering them new jobs and I'll let you get in on my gambling plans early."

"Food, Whores, and now Gambling?" Amusement fills the Vale Lord's voice as he thinks he finally has me figured out. "What's next, drinking as much as the king?"

Grinning with him makes my stomach turn but I manage to play along decently well. "Not really for me as I've discovered. I keep myself satisfied with the hemp from down in Dorne." I knew they had entire town tied together with it and it was a great pleasure to find out the plant is widespread in Westeros.

Over the course of the afternoon, Littlefinger leads me through each of his brothels and lets me interview his trainees freely. By the end of the day I have two dozen young men and women in their teens, each one incredibly eager once the found out how much I intended to pay. Finding out about the change in profession probably helped with the number of applicants as well.

The Master of Coin never once stops in his pursuit of information, constantly peppering me with innocuous questions that I know are really ways to find out my plans. Eventually I can't take it anymore and nearly ruin everything.

Only biting my tongue hard enough to draw blood stops me from speaking several times. I'm actually ready to thank the Seven when I finally rejoin Tyrion and my men on the way back to the Red Keep.

"I thank you for the aid you gave me and the words we shared today." Petyr's chest puffs up in arrogance when I say goodbye and I can see him struggling to remain modest in public. "But I'm afraid that Tyrion and I have a meeting with Lord Lannister."

"And my father does not like to be kept waiting." Agrees Tyrion, even though he still has no idea why I asked him to arrange this surprise meeting upon Baelish's arrival earlier today. Tywin will probably be even angrier at having to be kept waiting for our return and I can only hope my words direct it away from me.

"We can speak tomorrow when I bring the 'performers'." I can hear the doubt in Baelish's voice and can tell he thinks I still intend to use them all carnally.

As soon as he's out of sight my face goes grim as I think of the chaos Littlefinger will unleash given the chance. I can live with what I'm about to set in motion.

By the time Tyrion and I reach the solar of his father, my mood is reminiscent of Robert in his most rage filled moments. Tyrion seems a little bit intimidated even, but he deflects by telling rapid fire bald jokes that are pretty hard to not laugh at.

In his gold trimmed seat that resembles a throne, Tywin raises a tense eyebrow when we enter. "You better have a good reason for keeping me waiting."

"Baelish is trying to kill Lord Arryn and pin it on your family." The blunt truth makes Tywin's stern face start blinking wildly as he processes the information.

"He's already got Lorch working for him and 'your' foolish bannerman thinks it's only you and Ser Gregor who Baelish plans to sell out to Dorne in the chaos." And just a little dash of a lie to really hammer the final nail into Petyr's coffin.

"Lorch broke months ago and squealed on everything. Baelish thinks he has you bent over a barrel right now..." A rumbling growl rises in both Lannister chests.

"And why are you telling me this?" That's what Tywin is focusing on right now?

"I'm no idiot and know his plans include Robert's death. Littlefinger left out any mention of my older brother in any of his plans for the future and the absence told me all I needed to know..." Tywin is eager for my response and leans forward ever so slightly. "We're family in the eyes of everyone else and any plots will be against both Lannisters and Baratheons."

A half smile finally graces the face of Tywin, even though his eyes seem to be locked in a perpetual sneer. "Thank you for coming to me with this." He looks about to say more, but I quickly snap my fingers and interrupt.

"And get Tyrion to go over the funds since he took over as Master of Coin. I know Robert is terrible with gold, but the problem with the treasury somehow became desperate in only a few years." They both make sounds of agreement at that comment. "I know how long a loan from you used to last and how many more we need each year."

Last edited:
Chapter 8: Salsa
Chapter 8: Salsa
Jaime

The last three months have been like strange dream. With nearly no effort on my families behalf, our problems have been taken care of one after the other.

A few weeks with Stannis as they toured the Dragonstone vassals was enough to install at least some form of public mask. Telling Joffrey exactly why people love the fat slob Robert and let him get away with so much actually worked.

My oldest is actually making an effort to conceal his worst behaviours now and with the revelation of Baelish's plotting, Father has started to restore his order on the King's finances. Tyrion is even being recommended to take the position as Master of Coin, by Stannis himself no less. Though if it's just to get my brother to stop looking over his own coin, I'm not sure.

Stannis' goodbye feast is an even bigger event than his other parties have been, with gold and silver rings hanging from the ceiling. Each pair of hoops is held by a fit and flexible person with each one wearing little more than the new swimming suits.

"The aerial dancing is really something special." Tyrion pipes up from his seat, his neck craned up almost since we arrived. "And what did Stannis call it?"

"Gymnastics I believe." It's an incredible feat and I'm wondering how long I could just hold my self on a pair. "How's the salsa?" The bowls of spicy red sauce are eaten with baked triangles of corn flour and have gone over even better than the attractive acrobats.

"Excellent and I have no idea where Stan is coming up with all these new dishes." Between the two of us, we have half a dozen plates of all new kinds of food Stannis taught the cooks how to make. "The yogurt parfaits are amazing!"

Clouds of smoke fill the room as the herb Stannis provided is picking up it's fans but my eyes dart to the man of honour the second he calls for the crowds attention. "Thank you all for coming to my farewell feast and I hope you all treat my replacement with just as much respect!"

The smug face of Pastor Redwynne eagerly allows Stannis to lift both of their hands above their heads and soak in the rowdy crowds cheer. With one of the King's brothers married to a Florent and the other in bed with the Tyrells, it was Tyrion's idea to split the power in the Reach with the Redwynne's betting the position.

And with the boring pleasantries out of the way..." He drawls out and offers his now free hand to his blushing wife. "It is time to dance!"

A strange rhythm starts to play and I can vaguely recognize it as something from the Summer Isles. They way it stirs my hips is all the proof I need. Stannis and Selyse waste no time though and start an incredibly sensual dance, both leading with the hips.

For the first minute or so they keep the beat easy enough for the more ambitious nobles to try copying. But once the crowd has joined in, the duo proceed into a practised performance that looks practically like sex with clothes on.

"This dance will probably take off if the Dornish ever hear about it," Chuckles my little brother as a cloud of smoke engulfs my head and I'm forced to bat it away.

"He plans to invent a bunch more of these 'sports'..." Tyrion nods at my words and waves for me to continue. "He let the Reach learn the rules of one early and I know the Stormlanders are already training in this 'rugby'. But does he have any plans to give the Westerlands an edge with anything?"

"He let me decide what sport each Kingdom is being sent instructions on early." It really is nice to see my brother carefree and I'll overlook many of Stannis' oddities in grateful exchange. "I thought Baseball sounded perfect for our family."

I'm really only interested in how many different forms of combat Stannis seems intent to showcase and find the dancing a waste of his surprising talents. "As interesting as the last few months have been, I'm looking forward to things returning to normal."

"I've heard you've started training earlier." Tyrion peers at me with curious eyes that almost always get me to break. "Worried the young men might unhorse you again?"

Jousting has never been my best skill and I don't intend to waste my time on it this year. "No. Stannis is having a swordsman only competition." Along with nearly every kind of weapon.
"And I'll still be able to dominate the general melee and duels like always."

"What does our dear sister think of my idea?"

"She's not raging over the idea of Tommen and Shireen anymore." Just that you came up with it.

Turning my eyes back to dancing when the music slows back down to a pace beginners can follow, a glassy eyed Stannis is almost in front of us. "Jaime, I really am sorry for how long it took me to pull my head out of my own ass."

Speechless at such a blunt introduction, I'm forced to pass Tyrion my ale when he starts to choke. The Baratheon gives us the time to recover and it's the smarter Lannister who speaks first.

"In general or is this an apology for something specific?"

Stannis laughs back takes no offence, proving he really has changed from that bitter person he used to be. "The feast is the general apology but this one is specifically for your brother's heroism." My eyes snap to the bald man with a predator's intensity as my heart starts to beat faster.

"What are you talking about?" My mouth is dry as we lock eyes and I somehow know what Stannis is about to say.

"You saved the city from fiery death and never got rewarded for it." He doesn't shout the words, but his statement echoes through the suddenly quiet hall. "I don't know why the pieces never got put together but it really wasn't hard to do at all once I started looking into things."

"What is the last thing the Mad Aerys said to you?" He turns away from me and stares right into the King's confused blue eyes as I'm forced to answer.

"Burn them all." Gasps of horror surround me as the realization starts to hit people.

. "For someone who burned people alive daily, why was no wildfire used against the Lannister, or allied forces?" I can see that even the dimwitted oaf is starting to understand and I really don't like the looks of respect coming my way. Father is going to use this to take me back to the Rock and I can't do anything to stop it.

"The day Ser Jaime slew the Mad King, he also slew the pyromancers and prevented the caches in the sewers from igniting the entire city!" Stannis winks at a stunned Tyrion and shakes hands with me before I can think of a response. "So let the rest of this feast be in your belated honour!"

By the time I start to form words, it's to the sight of Stannis marching from the hall with his wife. Cheers drown out the hammering in my ears as Father's calculating eyes take in the response.

"Father's going to need to double the funds he's giving Stannis after that," Grunts Tyrion as the crowd rushes to surround me. "This might actually get you off the Kingsguard if Father pushes."

The bodies of Lorch and the Mountain are already on the way to Dorne with a letter penned by Tyrion that will hopefully ease tensions. Admitting what Lorch and Clegane did was a gamble for sure. But saying Tywin only took credit to make it seem like he was in control after the savages went off script... might just be enough to calm Doran down from whatever Baelish was stirring up.

It was Stannis' idea to give Joffrey credit for 'finally admitting fault' and have him give the Hound permission to plan the ambush on his brother. If Sandor recovers from his wounds, he'll probably end up with my cloak.

Additional Scenes 1: Ain’t No Mountain High Enough
Additional Scenes 1: Ain't No Mountain High Enough
Sandor

When Joffrey gave me permission to go form a band and bring in my brother's body, I thought it was just some cruel jape. It took Lord Tywin's firm stare and the following nod to really let the news sink in.

"Just make sure he's recognizable and you can do it anyway you wish." Years of serving Joffrey have finally paid off and for this permission I'll serve him as long as he requires.

Tywin just held the promise over my head and deep down I know he wasn't ever going to let me take my revenge. But the cruel little prince wants to start making a name for himself it would seem and he's going to start by trying to make amends with Dorne.

The dozen men I gathered at Casterly Rock will have to be enough for my ambush. Anymore armoured men tromping through his lands and I would have tipped of even Gregor.

Crouched in the bushes on each side of the creek, I wait impatiently for my brother to cross the rickety wooden bridge. Even before our sabotage, the decade old bridge groaned when more than two of our horses crossed at a time.

"Payne better not have squealed on us." The growl that emerges from the bean pole beside me just makes me level a harsh snarl on him for silence. "His uncle might be silent, but Podrick will sing forsure if he get's questioned about anything."

"Then why in the damned hells did you let the bastard come with you?" My words get Benedict Broom to flinch away from my raw anger.

"Not like we had many volunteers on such short notice." Interrupts the far braver Lydden knight, drawing my ire away from Casterly Rock's useless master of arms. "And you wouldn't let us go down and check in Lannisport either."

That would have had someone running to Gregor before I could get everything ready for him. "As long as the squire can deliver the summons, Gregor will be coming down this road."

I silence the nervous knights and wave for them to all get down. The thunder of massive hooves signals it's time for action and we all tense with weapons in hand.

For the last two days the lot of us have been sawing into the support beams of the bridge and halfway through the bottom of every other board. It was definitely overkill because when the first board of the bridge collapses beneath the horse, it sends both the horse and Gregor tumbling the entire nine feet.

Not wasting anytime to return the Payne boy's cry of success, I march towards the groaning form of my tormentor. The bridge's debris isn't enough to pin my brother, already he's starting to clamber to his feet.

The horse took the brunt of the fall and is braying weakly on the ground as I come to a stop. "I'd give you some fancy words about revenge, but I don't think your cunt brain could understand them."

Gregor snarls as his eyes lock onto me. "This was you!" Instead of going for his sword and leaving himself open to my blade, Gregor grabs one of the bridge legs and swings it for head.

I easily get my arm up in time to block the awkward swing, barely even feeling the half rotten wood smash to pieces against it. None of the men I brought join the fight, instead doing as I commanded and holding the rest of my brother's men at sword point.

Countering with a downwards slash of my own, it's incredibly satisfying when he's forced to use even more debris as a shield. Podrick tries to shout something to me but I ignore the squire in my desire to finally get my revenge.

Pain floods my leg as the not quit dead yet horse kicks back at me, snapping my knee backwards with a sickening crunch. I drop into the shallow creek and watch the crimson mix with the muddy brown water beneath me.

I only manage to get to my knees before Gregor has his sword in hand and he towers above me with a manic grin. He starts to say something mocking, but I don't hear a single word. My vision goes red and all I hear is my own heavy panting.

The wetness on my face is warm and runs down my chin in sticky rivulets that I'm having a hard time wiping out of my eyes. "What the fuck happened?"

"Uh..." Payne mumbles the rest under his breath and settles for pointing down the ledge he's still at the top of.

Once the blood is wiped away enough that I can mostly see, I follow his shaking finger towards a heartwarming sight. The rock Podrick had dropped was more than enough to kill Gregor, helm and all.

As I let the scene soak into my brain, I start to laugh at the horse doing more damage than Gregor did. "We're telling everybody that my brother broke my leg." The chuckles from the men isn't satisfying and so I repeat myself more firmly. "Understood?"

Chapter 9: Country Roads, Take Me Home
Chapter 9: Country Roads, Take Me Home
Stannis

The speed at which Shireen has picked up French is astounding, especially since she's only been able to practice during our singing lessons in the morning. But as the whole lot of us parade into the Riverlands, she's already started to teach Devon and Robin some basic phrases.

Lysa wants the Lannisters dead now more than she ever did Jon and I'm just grateful my name was left out of Baelish's arrest. Keeping her away from the capital is going to be necessary for at least a few years, otherwise someone will pin whatever actions taken on the Hand.

When our convoy reaches the fork towards Riverrun, we bid a temporary farewell. Gendry, Brienne, and Samwell will be coming with me to Stoney Sept, while Davos and Selyse bring the rest to enjoy Hoster's hospitality.

Devon wanted to come at first and I had to tell him that we'd be spending the ride discussing betrothals. That was enough for the boy to be quite happy with his job 'protecting' Shireen. In truth, I just don't want the children or Lysa to have any misconceptions about Bella Baratheon.

She accepted my offer and a signed letter in my saddle bags will give her our family name. But the Peaches is a brothel and children don't really understand nuance... or tact. It's better if they only know the town she comes from and the rest is left vague.

Once the four of us are finally left alone with our thoughts and fewer childish antics, I decide it's time to finally speak to the teens about my plans. "I can trust you all with a secret, can't I?" I know I can, that's one of the benefits of living with people I've read stories about.

"Of course you can Uncle Stannis!" Gendry is first to assure me, with the other two quick to offer their own moments later. "You can trust me with anything."

The promise is heartfelt, but I really don't want him thinking he owes me more than familiar affection. Well... and he needs to look after Shireen for me if something actually does kill me.

"We both swore to serve you faithfully." Adds Brienne with a firm stare of uncomfortable devotion.

Samwell's words are less inspiring but equally loyal. "If I squeal like the piggy everyone calls me, Father won't even give me the chance to go to the Wall. Not after shaming the King's brother."

"Good." My eyes dart between the curious trio and I let a smirk grow. "Your sister Bella grew up kind of like you, only if you had been raised with silk instead of steel."

Gendry understands right away and his mouth clamps tight in a good imitation of the old Stannis' grinding. "Oh."

"Exactly." I take a moment to promise Bella will be cared for with my eyes, while Sam explains what I mean to Brienne in hushed whispers. "Now on the topic of love...." Gendry blinks at the sudden shift. "I've thought about your future and have a few suggestions for you to think over."

"What?" He's still not used to being asked for his opinion and I've having the hardest time getting him to actually speak his mind.

"Well..." Desperate for answers, Gendry leans towards my voice. "One of our guests will be a Stark girl about your age, either Sansa or her younger sister Arya. But the Tyrells also have a daughter and I'm sure you could charm her in no time at all."

He doesn't answer and so I hold up a third finger and keep going. "The Greyjoy's have a girl a few years older than you and Jeyne Westerling is available." Even if the North and West go to war, that would avoid the whole broken vows and keep the Lannisters from focusing on us at Summerhall. "The Manderly girls and Alys Karstark are good matches, and of course you can always hook a Frey."

"And I have to decide now?" Sheer panic is draining the colour from Gendry's face. "Without knowing anything about them?"

"Hells no!" I try hard not to laugh in his face and keep my expression neutral. "I'm telling you now so you have time to do your own research with Sam and decide all on your own."

"Why am I here for this?" Interrupts a confused Brienne.

That's easy to answer, so I flash her a charming smile that even Renly would consider adequate. "Bella will need some female companionship and I want to ask if you and Samwell have given any thought to my first conversation with you?"

"We have." She doesn't sound pleased with the focus now being on her love life, trailing off with a heavy blush growing on each cheek.

"And?"

She glances away when my stare get's unbearable. "Samwell is a friend and it would benefit us both..."

"But?" I can guess that she's just not that into him.

Brienne does seem to have a type considering both Renly and Jaime. She at least needs the appearance of a warrior to be attracted to a man.

"We'd both rather pursue other options first." Samwell is shockingly the one who answers with a hesitant tone. "But aren't against it if you insist." I can see his own cheeks are growing pink before shadows from an overhead tree shade his face.

"We are both aware of how much we owe you." Agrees a Brienne with a flat voice and I have to groan at the misunderstanding.

"All of three of us are." Adds my nephew and now heir.

I'm forced to roll my eyes at how easily I could have avoided this. Just going for a ride with the trio outside the city walls at any time the last couple months would have been long enough to clear things up.

"Well first off, I really don't care who you end up with." That comment gets wide eyed stares from all three of them. "I told you two to talk and you did. So now Sam and Gendry can both go over the names I listed together or even get creative with choices. But it's something you all need to start thinking about now."

"Do you have any ideas about who I should approach?" With a hesitant voice that shows how self conscious she really is, Brienne lowers her eyes to the dirt.

"I have a few ideas and luckily a few might meet us at Riverrun." I still don't know which Starks are coming home with me, but it sounds like Catelyn brought nearly the whole gaggle down with her. Only Ned and maybe Jon should still be at Winterfell.

"As long as Mya decides to come stay with us, then her escort might be a lad you find worthy of a closer look." Domeric Bolton is a good man supposedly and this will give me a chance to find out. He was soon to return to the North, so it was a simple matter to request he bring my niece with him.

Just being able to breath in fresh country air has me in a better mood and I'm having a harder time faking the occasional winces of pain as the day goes on. Realizing how quiet the teens have gotten as the conversation has gone on, I roll my eyes in amusement.

"Fine, we can talk about something else." Relieved sounds come from each teen and I manage to keep my chuckles fairly quiet. "Have you considered trying out for any of the events?"

"Rowing." Gendry says it with such conviction I have to force myself to not laugh right in his face.

"Good choice." My lips tremble dangerously. "Can't let the Ironborn win."

Chapter 10: Other People Have Plans Too
Chapter 10: Other People Have Plans Too
Ned

The request from Robert's younger brother has weighed heavily on my mind for months now and I'm still not quite sure if I made the right choice. I had Luwin send my acceptance of the request at Cat's urging, but still had not made up my mind on who to send South when the time finally came.

Only a general agreement that we would meet him at Riverrun was put in the letter and I'm already regretting it. Scowling in my solar well into the night, I find no sudden inspiration on whether it would be better for Arya or Sansa to go.

"Ned?" At some point Cat entered and when she finally got tired of watching my facial expressions, announced her presence. "Is something wrong? Or is supper just not sitting well again?"

The pinched look she gives me is because of Stannis and the ulcers killing him, which has given her all the arrows she needs in her quiver, to get me to spend at least one hour each night relaxing in the sauna with the family. She's even let Jon join us every other night since her sister's raven arrived.

Her childhood friend Lord Petyr Baelish, the one my brother nearly killed in a duel over her, was arrested and executed. Jon Arryn's own letter explained the suddenness of the trial, with the new Master of Coin finding nearly two million gold dragons unaccounted for.

I want to say it's the Lannisters just pushing for more power, but the revelations over what the Kingslayer really did have left me uncertain of even more things. If Ser Jaime has been true this whole time, why should I doubt his brother Tyrion? The man did Robert a great service and is already working out how to recover as much of the missing gold as possible.

"Just thinking about the warding." It's pointless to try and hide anything now, I have no idea how long she stood watching me stew. "Sansa would love to go South, we both know this." The laugh we share at the obvious statement chases away my turmoil and so I decide to trust in a woman's intuition. "But Arya is closer in age to both Shireen and her cousin Robin."

"I'm glad you haven't decided anything yet actually." That's odd, Cat normally hates when I put off business with the South. "Because I'm worried about Lysa."

"So am I." Jon's letter explained she isn't to return to King's Landing for a few years.

With a relieved sigh, she finally slides into her chair across from me. "My sister says that Stannis has been collecting the King's bastards that has me concerned about Bran going."

"I already said I would send a son and daughter to Riverrun and Lord Stannis sent the men and supplies that he promised to the Wall." I remind her that it's too late to back out. "Besides, it's only for a few years."

"Not if Bran becomes his squire." Her voice is flat but her eyes churn with concern.

"So what would you have me do, send little Rickon instead?" He's little more than a babe and I can't help but stare at my Lady Wife as if she's gone mad.

Cat shakes her head and appears to swallow something bitter. "Send Jon instead." My eyes widen in shock as she continues with the kindest tone I've ever heard her use when discussing the boy. "It satisfies the bargain and even though we have our issues, I know he will protect Arya at least." She is his well known favourite.

"What do you really want?" She's avoiding direct eye contact and that's what tips me off.

"..." Sighing at getting found out, Cat tells me her real reason for coming to my solar tonight. "Lysa is just as concerned as I am about the company her son would be keeping at Summerhall. I want to bring her back to Winterfell when I deliver Arya and Jon."

She manages to only have a slight tremble in her lip this time and she presses on when I don't stop her. "While Bran and Robin stay with our father and Edmure instead." With more acceptable friends you mean.

"You know that if Jon goes South to squire for Lord Stannis, he will be free to do as he chooses with his life."

"But it will be with his own name and not ours." And in your mind, that will finally be enough to keep our children 'safe'? "I can welcome him back for a visit once a year, once I no longer have to call him Snow."

It's better than I ever dared hope and I quickly agree. "Alright. I'll tell the boys on the way tomorrow." The Watch deserter still needs to be executed and I need Bran to learn this lesson before I allow him to go anywhere. "But that means you need to break the news to Sansa and Arya."

"You are a cruel Lord." Cat's purr is enough to stir me from my funk. "But fair." She gives me a look that I last saw the night Rickon was conceived.

"Not as fair as you my dear," Letting out a little growl as I rise, I smirk as my lady wife's face flushes. "And now I believe, it's time for this cruel lord to take you to bed." With that said, I peer into the hall before throwing her over my shoulder.

"Don't forget the switch," She hisses when I nearly forget our favourite... tool, in my desk.

Oberyn

The fact that Doran is allowing a pair of Lannisters to dock at Sunspear was almost enough for me to start a riot. But when I was oh so rudely told what was being delivered, I decided I could wait until dinner to cause a scene. Or maybe it was Ellaria who convinced me to calm down enough to listen to the rest of my brother's words?

"You're telling me that the 'Great' Tywin Lannister..." I draw out his name and roll my tongue for emphasis. "Is admitting that his dogs got off his leash?"

"The letter from Prince Joffrey makes it seem like he was the one to push for the apology." Another one of them I have to forgive, what is the world coming to? "And the letter from Varys has made it clear that it's really Stannis and the Lannisters on that ship, who convinced Tywin to sign his name."

"Does this change anything?" I know he's been working with Varys in secret for years now, to keep informed on the Targaryens' progress.​

"It's gotten me intrigued in the dying Baratheon." Doran admits with wry grin directed at the redwood ship, the gold coated figured head too garish even for me. "And I would like it if you went to thank him for me."

That sounds like a really bad idea, even if one that I would love to jump into head first. "You want me to go to the capital?"

"To Summerhall." Corrects my brother as the ramp is lowered. "Stannis has decided to rebuild it and spend his remaining time with his family. Varys says he's even taken in some of his bastard nephews, with the intention to snag a couple nieces next."

"Well that is interesting," I'm forced to admit with a bitter chuckle. "Maybe I should bring the girls with me? You said he wants to spend time with family and one of my girls has to be the same age as his."

The Imp and the Kingslayer almost swagger down the gangway towards us, introducing themselves and strangely the boy squire named Podrick Payne. "I know we aren't your favourite family and that will not change in our lifetimes. But I hope this delivery is a step away from vengeance."

"Just cut to the chase Tyrion," Jaime cuts it with a groan. "You don't spout poetry when the listener wants to gut us."

Giving his brother a a scowl, the cock eyed Tyrion finally reveals why we had to meet his squire. "Podrick here is the one who killed the Mountain. Dropped a rock right on his noggin."

"... I thought it was fitting M'lords." The boy tears his eyes away from the line of girls behind Doran and myself and jerks when he's called on. "I mean M'princes!" His panic scrunches his face up in a way that will be adorable once he grows into it.

"Well I don't think our boring talks will need this brave warrior's presence." Arianne steps forward with my own daughters and takes a shaking Podrick by the hand. "How about we take him to the water gardens, while you handle the lions?"

Chapter 11: Take Me To The Rivers
Chapter 11: Take Me To The Rivers
Stannis

"Now I don't want to embarrass any of you. So I'm going to be highlighting a flaw in each of us that we are all going to work on together." That gets nervous glances to start being exchanged between the trio of teens.

"I am not going to be able to shelter you from the world forever and it's best if we spend the time we do have..." I make eye contact with each of them for a solid five seconds before continuing. "Preparing you all."

"In what ways?" Brienne isn't frightened by the challenge and is intent on earning my respect.

None of them are really adept at the social skills, but they each have another area in dire need of improvement. "All of you need to get better at interactions with your peers." Each of them is heir of a respected house, with Samwell not being disinherited yet because of my intervention.

"I myself have learned how much... easier things are when you can take charge of a crowd." Robert and Renly are naturals at it, but I have to rely on years of drama class to do it even half as good. "Don't hide from yourselves because that will only make everyone else ignore you as a person of value."

"Samwell." The softest of the three gazes up at me with worry filling his face. "You can stay at Summerhall as one of my families household knights as long as you wish. But you need to earn your spurs yourself."

"How?" His eyes roam over his body with grim reality.

"He'll die without proper preparation and I'd like to have his services for years to come. "It's pointless to just shove a weapon in your hand, so we need to get you in better shape first."

Before my sentence is finished, Samwell is already shaking his head in denial. "I'll never be good enough."

"Well if that's how you feel, you really only have a few choices left." I'm not going to force him into anything, I just wanted to give him a chance that his father never did. "If knighthood's off the table, you better start learning some poetry."

"What ever for?" Interupts a very confused Gendry.

"If he can't stir a woman's loins with his body and skill in battle, Samwell needs to stir her heart with other talents." That shuts up my now blushing nephew. "Learning an instrument will help and learning how to dance is a must."

"That's it?" Samwell is in disbelief.

I almost laugh right in his face, but somehow manage to reign it in at the last second. "Oh heavens no Sam. You still need to care about your appearance and that means we're going to start running each morning." I think two miles a day will be a good start for the first week. "And you're going to be lifting weights with Gendry.

"... Oh." The groan from Samwell sounds exactly like me in high school and that does get an amused snort to escape.

"Sorry, but I feel the exact same way." I hate running nowhere, but Samwell isn't ready for much else. "You're also going to doing fifty push-ups and a hundred sit-ups each day. Those can be done at your own pace though."

"That doesn't sound too horrible." Admits the Tarly boy as nothing I listed is anywhere near as extreme as what his father insisted upon.

That makes me smirk like an evil older brother. "Good, because you also need find a house with a distinct lack of male heirs." His eyes widen and I have to silence him before he devolves into sputtering.

"Hush boy. You need to hear the truth about this." He can do what he wants, but he needs to be clear of the consequences each choice will bring. "You can't go back to Hornhill and you don't want to be a knight." Slowly Samwell nods at my blunt words. "So you need to seduce and marry a woman in a situation similar to Brienne here."

The girl with aspirations of knighthood jerks at my mention of her. "And you Lady Brienne..." I emphasize her actual title. "Need a husband who will let you fight. Not many of those and even fewer you would like."

"I know that Lord Stannis." She faces my stare with a firm expression of defiance. "Your best bet is an acknowledged bastard or a risen knight with a lack of land." And preferably someone with a desire to handle the more managerial side of running Tarth.

"You're also going to need to learn how to dance." She starts to protest and I bring out my trump card. "Just think of how much it will improve your footwork and stamina in a fight, while you ignore how silly you feel wearing a dress." I know it produces tangible results in athletes and I'm going to prove it works the same with a warrior.

"We shall have a little duel when before we leave the Peach. When I defeat you while I am wearing a dress and you your armour, you will not be allowed to train in plate until you return the favour." If Syrio Forel can kill a man with a wooden sword, Brienne can kill one while wearing a dress.

With a sigh my nephew reveals he is ready for his turn. "And what about me?"

"You have Houses to memorize, laws to learn, your letters need dire help, and you need to choose a weapon to start training with." It needs to look like I'm training you to replace me after all. "Oh, and then you need make friends with our neighbours while you start looking for a wife." You will have the easiest time of it, all things considered.

"Is that everything?" Gendry almost groans.

The teens are looking overwhelmed and far too gloomy to meet with Bella. "Yeah... I guess."

The next half an hour is spent in near silence and it's only when we can hear bells in the distance, that the teens start to perk up. Gendry straightens in his saddle and tries his best to flatten his hair before we arrive.

"Bella's a year older than Gendry?" Samwell draws my attention while Brienne helps my nephew look presentable.

"Correct." I hum in agreement. "And Mya is a couple years older than her."

"Are you going to make them learn all the stuff I need to?" Grunts Gendry, his eyes revealing how eager he is to share his torment.

"Bella will need to join you and Cressen for sure, but Mya might be more at Shireen's level." I'm not actually sure how educated my oldest niece really is.

Samwell interrupts with a confused voice to accompany his hand pointing forward. "Are those Lannister banners in front of Stoney Sept?"

Following his finger reveals the truth of his statement. I can count at least half a dozen men in red and gold armour waiting for someone and I have a suspicious feeling it's me.

"You lot stay a dozen feet behind me and get ready to ride straight for Riverrun." If Tywin is getting rid of me, I'm making sure Shireen survives. "If this goes bad, take my family to Winterfell."

Ignoring any arguments I kick my dark grey steed ahead of them and snarl back when the trio tries to catch up. They eventually follow my order and remain a safe distance away as I near the Lannister captain.

"Good afternoon to you. Might I ask what Lannister men are doing so far from home?" The man examines me and I vaguely recognize him as one of the red cloaks who serves in King's Landing.

"Lord Tyrion asked sent us to retrieve his niece." Explains the man I believe is from House Serret, the peacock on his shield only confirming it when he turns to face me. "He told me that you asked for her to join her cousins at Summerhall."

That clever little lion, using my own plan against me. "Of course Joy is welcome with us. But I don't think it wise to bring her to my destination here in Stoney Sept." A brothel is no place for a child and I Intend to offer all the ones at the Peach a different life.

Chapter 12: Ask Your Father
Chapter 12: Ask Your Father
Bella

"Lord Baratheon," As soon as the well dressed man in my father's colours introduces himself, I drop to my knees with the rest of the women. "We are honoured to receive you." The matron is quick to grab my wrist and pull me before the balding Lord Stannis.

The resemblance is easy to see between us and I'm quite surprised by the three people with him. I thought he had a daughter, that's what his letter said.

"And I am thankful for how well you've been looking after my niece." My uncle's eyes lock onto mine and his wide toothy smile eases my nerves. "They have been treating you well?"

"The best they can," I defend the women who raised me with as much fierceness as I dare show. "I've never gone hungry or anything."

"Perfect." Claps Lord Stannis with relief shining in his clear blue eyes. "So I don't have to feel bad about offering everyone here a chance to move to Summerhall with us."

The boy who I know shares my blood looks shocked and interrupts. "You're going to have a brothel?"

I'm not sure why he's so shocked. Lords like whores.

"I need more performers and I think the women here would be excellent as the first dancers in a cabaret." The word means nothing to me and judging on the faces of the three teens, they are just as lost. "The girls who want a complete change of career... I can always use painters willing to make hundreds of the same little images."

"What for?" The pudgier boy tears his scorn filled eyes away from me. "You never talked about needing artist before Lord Stannis."

"Because I just thought of the idea Samwell," Admits my Lord Uncle with a mocking grin. "And to start with, I'll have them all start painting letters with Gendry, on small squares of wood."

His eyes are filled with wild ideas and it seems as if my uncle has forgotten all about us. "And once some of you can do that at a decent level, I'll start having them ink creatures onto playing cards."

He talks about a game where you make words from the jumbled letters and how the painted cards will be used in a strange form of magic. I had no idea my uncle was openly a wizard. Maybe he will teach me, If I serve him dutifully first.

"You must be my half sister, I'm Gendry." With an extended hand, the raven haired boy smiles at me nervously. "I'm glad I'm not the only one who decided to come live with our Uncle Stan."

"Are you a bastard too?" No point being sensitive, he's seen where I live.

He blushes and shakes his head back and forth. "I was a Waters until our uncle had me declared his heir."

"And now he and Edric are both Baratheons. As you will also be, once we leave here today Bella." The words echo in my head as I still can't really believe what's happening.

I used to dream my father would come bring me to the capital and declare me a princess to the world. But now that something so close is actually happening... I can't help but dread the bad luck that will follow. Good things don't happen to people like me.

"I am Brienne of Tarth and it's an honour to meet you Bella." The straw haired girl is nearly as big as my brother and I realize is wearing armour.

"Your just happy to finally not be the only girl in the group," My uncle snorts even as Lady Brienne ducks her head. "Not that I can really blame you. I did invite you with the promise of friends and Shireen is still a few years away from being your equal."

Samwell tries his own introduction, only to frown when he remembers his name was already given. "Uh... I'm Samwell Tarly and it's a pleasure to meet yo M'lady."

No one has ever called me that except in jest. But Samwells eyes shine with nothing but honesty, making my cheeks heat up against my will.

"I'm not a lady. I'm just Bella."

"Not once you walk out the door and I can just pretend we met outside instead." His offer has no hint of mocking, so I find it easier to just nod back at him softly in response.

Being given a chance at a fresh start is more than I've dared hope for in years. "That would be nice."

Jon Snow
Wearing new clothes that are nicer than anything I've ever owned, I wait in line with the rest of the Starks and Tullys. Though at the very end of the line of course. Lord Tully hasn't acknowledged my presence once, but neither has he done anything to make my stay at Riverrun horrible.

Learning that it was Lady Catelyn who asked my father for me to be given this honour was a shock. Though it made more sense when it was explained that Bran would be staying with his Uncle Edmure." It's better to keep bastards away from the true born and she finally had an excuse that my lord father would accept.

As Lord Baratheon and his escort file into the courtyard, I start to get lightheaded when I realize I cannot hide behind my status anymore. Arya and I are the reason he came. I'm going to judged in front of everyone.

"Greetings and welcome to my home Lord Stannis," Calls out Lord Tully from his place at the head of the line. "Please accept this offer of salt and bread, so we can discuss things inside like civilized people."

The bread I was given upon arrival was fresh but nothing special. The loaf prepared for today is something special. It looks like one of the fruitcakes that Lady Catelyn has prepared during the winter and now I finally know where the cooks learned the recipe.

"Look at her Jon!" Arya pulls on my arm as soon as she catches sight of a blonde woman in armour. "I thought Maester Luwin said that women couldn't be knights." She hisses in betrayal, seething beside me as the riders begin to dismount.

"I thank you for the offer of hospitality Lord Hoster," Lord Stannis calls over his shoulder as he makes a dash towards the carriage, pulling open the door for the ladies inside. "I present you daughter Lysa and grandson Robin in return."

The rest of the introductions pass by in a blur, until suddenly Lord Stannis is standing in front of me with a warm smile. "Nice to meet you Jon. I hope you aren't to upset at me for keeping you away from the Watch." Of course Father told him what my plans had been.

"I'm nothing but grateful M'lord." I never thought I could have a better life than the Wall, much less with Lady Catelyn encouraging me to take it.

"I hope you will be up for a round of golf in the morning Lord Stannis," Calls out Edmure Tully with a cocky smirk. "I'd like you to make sure we're playing correctly, before you give the instructions to the other kingdoms."

"Of course," Agrees the visiting Lord easily. "But do you have a squire, or do you need to borrow one of mine?"

That confuses Edmure and he's not afraid to reveal the fact. "What?"

"Your squire is an essential part of the game," Explains Lord Stannis as if it's obvious. "They decide which club you use for each shot."

"Oh." The Tully lord flushes in embarrassment. "I didn't think that part was important and haven't been using them when we train."

"That will get you disqualified from the Summerhall Games." My new Lord shakes his head in frustration. "I'll let you borrow Samwell this time. It'll let me and Jon here have a chance to bond with some friendly competition."

"I don't know how to play though Lord Stannis." I don't want to let my new Lord down so soon, but the truth now is better than embarrassment tomorrow.

The King's brother just chuckles and points a thumb at the boy who doesn't look related to him. "Neither does Sam. It's no big deal and we can go over the rules together once supper is over."

"Will you let me be your squire too?" Arya interrupts and I nearly groan in embarrassment.

Though to my surprise, Lord Stannis just smiles instead of getting mad. "I expect everyone of my wards to learn how to defend themselves. But I'm a little full on squires right now and I don't think you want to send your brother home, just to take his place."

"Could I be her squire instead?" Arya is nothing if not persistent, quickly pointing at the armoured woman instead.

"Lady Brienne is not a knight and she is armed because her Lord Father allows it." Corrects Lord Stannis with a calm voice. "Get permission from yours and you can train just as she does. And if either of you earn it, I'll knight you myself." He's careful to keep his voice low enough that neither Lady Catelyn or her father hear the offer.

Remembering one last thing that might change his mind, I sigh heavily. "Lord Stannis?"

"Yes Jon?"

"We have a couple wolves to bring with us." Ghost, Nymeria, and Summer are all in the kennels right now but I worry about how big they will get.

"You do mean dire wolves, correct?" He doesn't seem shocked or even slightly concerned.

"How did you know?" And why don't you care?

"Rumours are faster than horseback and I think every kid should have a pet." I didn't realize I said the last part out loud and feel my ears heat up with embarrassment.​

Chapter 13: Gentlemen Only, Ladies Forbidden
Chapter 13: Gentlemen Only, Ladies Forbidden
Stannis

I watch Jon Snow pick himself up off the gently sloping hill and hesitate before the clubs. "What do we need to win this?"

It's been a tougher round than I expected, Edmure really does have an impressive long game. Knowing where the water traps are is also a plus, I'm down six strokes because of them.

Jon eventually hands me a two iron with a nervous expression. "I'm pretty sure this is the one you want Lord Stannis."

"Thanks Jon." I accept the club with a grateful nod and line up my final shot.

The ball sails through the air and vanishes through the trees, hopefully landing near the flag. "If you keep this up, we might even be able to compete in the games." It's not like I'm going to give Jon a choice in it, I need to take part in at least one event if I'm hosting.

I can tell Edmure has been trying to work up the nerve to say something all morning and I sigh in relief when he finally opens up. "I don't want to offend you in anyway Lord Stannis. But my sisters are very important to me and though they are concerned about your plans for Jon here..." The youngest Tully gives my new squire an apologetic look before shifting his eyes back to me. "They aren't going to press for answers."

"Lord Varys is excellent at his job." It's true, just not how I know what I do. "He let me know that it would only make things easier for everyone, if Jon doesn't come back to Winterfell-"

"What!" Roars the betrayed Jon, the hurt in his voice pulling on my heartstrings.

"...Until he has a new name and land of his own in the South." I return the furious stare with a calm one of my own, only letting a single eyebrow raise for emphasis. "To ensure Lady Catelyn no longer sees Jon as a threat to her children."

"...Uh." Guilt fills Edmure's voice as he avoids looking me in the eye for a while. "Yeah."

"So we're making an agreement as men." I place a hand on Jon's shoulder and turn him back around to face me. "The faster Jon earns his knighthood, the faster Catelyn can finally relax."

Edmure nods in agreement and awkwardly calls for Bran to get him a club. "Jon's a nice lad and everything, it's just..."

"I'm always going to be an insult." Growls the shame filled teen.

"That's true," I agree easily, seeing no reason to lie about the obvious. "But no matter how much you love your family, bastards all throughout history have been used to usurp families."

Jon starts to defend himself again, his face puffy and red with tears waiting to fall. "I'd never do that!"

"And I believe you, or I wouldn't have taken you as my squire." I return his gaze with an understanding one of my own. "But the rest of the world doesn't know that."

The boy bows his head and nods in acceptance of that, letting me continue with the embarrassing talk that could very well get me killed if Edmure so chooses. "I'm the King's trueborn brother and I've had those thoughts myself. So all this means is that you're in denial of desires that everyone has, or you're a better man than I am."

"I'm not better than you!" Jon is quick to deny what he thinks is a trap.

"Well it would seem we only have a few years to change that." Shaking my head in mock disapointment, I wink at Edmure to let him in on the game. "If I'm trusting you to serve my family long after I'm dead, I expect you to try to surpass me in as many ways as you can."

When he doesn't look anymore convinced, I shrug and admit what he's going to learn soon enough. "Samwell is already smarter than I am and Gendry takes after his father in the looks department."

Robin and Bran start to squabble once again over which club Edmure needs next and I try hard to contain my laughter. If the two would just stop trying to outdo each other, Edmure would have beaten me three holes ago.

"Why don't you care about us being bastards?" I can tell how hard it was for Jon to work up the nerve to ask and manage to avoid my normal flippant response.

"You should thank the Seaworths for that." I finally answer with a heavy sigh. "Ser Davos is the one who showed me it's not who you are born as that matters. It's the man you die as that the world will remember."

"But I don't even know who I was born as." The response is so pitiful, it nearly sounds like a whine.

"Well..." I trail off and watch Jon perk. "Lord Varys has a few theories about that. Would you like to hear them?"

He nods like a bobble head and I have to grab him before it rolls off. "If Ned Stark is your father, it's either by way of Ashara Dayne, the wet Nurse Wylla, or an unnamed woman from the Sisters."

"If?" Edmure notices that part, just like I had hoped he would.

"Samwell, take the boys and go find the balls." since I can't trust the two youngest to reveal the information in a way I want, I get them to clear out for the sensitive discussion. "We'll catch up in a moment!"

Once they're out of earshot, I turn back to Edmure and Jon with a blank face. "The Lannisters are already getting to take over once my brother's lifestyle ends in the obvious. What I'm about to say could end up with Houses Stark, Tully, and Baratheon, all in danger if revealed to anyone."

Lord Stark might not be your father..." Jon starts to panic when I speak, forcing me to squeeze his shoulder hard enough to get silence. "Even if you do share his blood."

"Brandon!" Gasps Edmure as he starts putting pieces together on his own. "... And Lady Ashara?"

"That's the preferable outcome." MY hard stare gets Edmure to think harder and his mouth forms an O when he finally does.

"No!" His eyes are glued to Jon now and I nod my head grimly. "If it's true, it's been kept secret for a very good reason."

Jon's not satisfied being the only one without a clue and he actually growls at me. "What are you talking about?"

"Who's the only other Stark who was in the South during the rebellion?" I snort back at the frustrated teen, waiting for him to connect the blatant clues. "And why is it a good idea, if we don't ever talk about this again?"

"... Oh." He finally understands and his entire face sinks with the weight of such an idea.

"Exactly." I watch Edmure's eyes soften as they lock onto Jon, but I'm forced to keep talking. "Your 'Father' had a good reason for the lie, if it really is one." I remind them neither Varys, nor myself has proof either way. "But if it is a lie, that would also make you my kin." Distantly I admit.

"I'm trying to put off a civil war. The easiest way I could think of, was setting up a power block in preparation." It worked against Aerys and I can only hope this will work against Cersei when it's required. "Your Father saw the sense in it once before and I hope you can convince him to again."

"How can you just let them kill your brother!" Jon is aghast when I admit why I've left the capital.

If that was the case, I'd be charging at Tywin with sword drawn. "Robert's killing himself with a life of excess and that's sadly every man's right."

I've already gotten word of Melisandre arriving on Dragonstone, with Joffrey quite eager to receive her as his servant. All I can do now is hope the lions and dragons tire themselves out before realizing I'm still alive.

I've gathered as many innocents as I dare and when winter comes, I'll just stick them on a ship with Davos. He'll make sure my family survives. If I can give everyone a fun time before I go, all the better.

Chapter 14: Miniature Mischief
Chapter 14: Miniature Mischief
Shireen

This year has been the most fun I've ever had and it's only going to get better once our new home is finished. It is sometimes hard to remember that I need to look sad sometimes. But Father explained why he's pretending he's dying and I can't let anyone else find out.

Only Mother, Davos, and Gendry know and I will not be the one to ruin the fun. Father and the Tullys need to discuss something very serious, so he's left it to Gendry and I to Mya until he's finished.

"And we only need to use the putters?" Asks the incredibly kind Samwell as he holds up the single club.

Father's new squire Jon, chimes in with a frown of his own. "That doesn't sound very challenging."

"Uncle Edmure made sure it will be," Corrects his brother Bran and I try hard not to blush when he hands me the next one. "He said one hole is inside a castle and another has a bunch of bridges we need to go around."

"If we only have one club, why do we need a... caddie?" My cousin Mya tries out the new word while Domeric Bolton covers his laugh with one hand.

"Because it will take forever for fourteen people to all play." And Mother said this would be a good way for us to make new friends. "That's why we need to team up. It's more fair if we go big and little for each team, so choose a partner you don't live with already."

To make sure Mya knows how excited I am to finally meet her, I grab her hand before anyone else reacts. Arya is only a second slower in choosing Brienne for herself, with Bran darting past me for the freshly knighted Domeric.

Gendry and Edric pair up next, taking advantage of the fact the brothers live in separate castles. Joy and Bella realize they are the only girls left and decide to team up as well. Robin is quite to choose Samwell, still believing his mother's words about worthy friends.

Seeing that everyone else has gotten a partner, Jon offers Devon Seaworth his hand with a warm grin. Father really did find me so many nice friends, just like he promised.

When Arya revealed that she intends to make her brother fall in love with Lady Brienne, I promised to help her from the other end. Though I don't think we need to do very much else.

Getting Ser Brynden to agree to train them in both in the morning was the easy part. Making sure both Jon and Brienne think it's a private lesson, that was the hard part.

If Arya is right, seeing Brienne in action will be all it takes for her brother to fall in love. I'm not so sure he's that easy to lead about, but she does know him best.

She was worried Bella might get in the way, since Arya says that my cousin is pretty like Sansa. But after Samwell's very obvious attempts to woo her, my new friend was able to relax. Since it looks like my other cousin is already just as taken with her own northern knight, Arya should be free to plot with no more surprises.

As I watch Gendry take the first shot, I hope he doesn't have to be alone for too long. Father wants him to find someone and I can't tell him to keep girls away from Summerhall just for Arya.

He hits the little white cork ball way too hard it sails right over the course the Tullys built for Bran and Robin. Friendly laughter follows from all of us and Gendry doesn't get mad like Joffrey would have. He just bows with a wide smile splitting his face and joins in.

"Well this is definitely going to be harder than I thought." He grabs a fresh yellow ball and explains once we stop giggling. "These balls go way farther than the ones we used on the full size course."

"Good to know," Arya struts up next and plops down her own white ball. "Thanks for testing it out for us."

Her hit actually has some control and it rolls into the long hollow tube. It curves the ball down to the little windmill, it's slowly spinning arms managing to knock away the ball.

"Argh!" The Stark girl hisses in frustration and gets out of the way. "Stupid wind."

Pretty soon I realize the game is a lot like Barathaball, with Mya responding well when I try to give her advice. She and Bella are going to be more like sisters than cousins, at least that was how Father explained.

Tyrion
It was a tension filled talk with Doran and his brother. But thankfully the still seething hatred of Oberyn Martell was soon directed away from my own head soon enough.

I'm not sure what he hopes to achieve by bringing his children to Summerhall, unless he just wants more chances to kill my squire. Whatever the boy did to the Sand Snakes, was more than enough to get the one called Tyene to inform me that Podrick was her man now.

The look in the young woman's eyes along with the very visible knives, was almost enough for me to agree with her. With a snort at the antics of the vicious Dornish teens, I realize that I know exactly what Arianne Martell wants out of the trip. Gendry Baratheon.

My own hope is for Edric to take a shine to Joy, so I can't even blame the Martells. So far our plans do not seem incompatible and I wonder if we might find a way to work together.

It's clear that Stannis is trying to ensure his family is part of a power block once he dies and as long as he doesn't intend to start anything... I will straddle both sides of my family for as long as it remains possible.

Getting Princess Arianne and Gendry paired off should be enough to get me some sway on my own plans for Joy. If that isn't, revealing how much of the missing gold has been found should hopefully tip the scales.

The waves rock the ship as we near Weeping Town, the largest Stormlands' port along the Sea of Dorne. As the storm increases in it's rage, I'm forced to hunker down and cling to the railing. If I try and go for the cabins below deck, I'll be blown right over board!

"Stannis better damn well appreciate this!" I roar into the wind and nearly jump out of my skin when I hear a response from right behind me.

"I thought you came on behest of your nephew?" Oberyn's Dornish accent is grating and I peer back with a frown. "Not the Lord Baratheon?"

"He's the reason I'm sailing into this gale!" I roar back with a very believable reason and hope he doesn't press any harder. "And not on my way back to King's Landing right now!" I might actually let something slip if he does, I'm having a hard enough time holding on for my life, let alone some secrets.

"Why haven't you called out for someone?" He asks with a shake of his head, right before he reaches out to grab my arm.

"I thought everyone was already down below," I admit with a growl. "Wasn't sure anyone could even hear me."

Oberyn is quick to snort, dismissing that idea immediately. "Podrick turned back around the moment we realize you hadn't made it and he's already halfway up the crow's nest looking for you."

I peer towards the mast and nearly scream in worry at the sight of Podrick slowly pulling himself up the rope ladder. I try to rush forward but the prince's hand holds me back.

"After seeing this..." He sounds contrite and I never expected to hear that tone from him. "I think I'll stop giving Tyene such a hard time. She and you both saw something I missed."

I only stop struggling when I see a pair of sailors start to ascend after my suicidal squire. "Thanks for coming for us."

"Your visit was enough to show me it's not the Lannisters as a whole who must die." He snarls and it's somehow even fiercer than the storm. "But I will kill your father and it will be justice." I can't actually deny that, not after my involvement in getting Father's signature.

If Oberyn will actually leave the rest of us be... I think I might just let him try.​

Chapter 15: We Are The Champions
Chapter 15: We Are The Champions
Stannis

Edmure was quick to speak with both Hoster and Catelyn once we finished the game yesterday and I was just as soon asked to speak with them both. Explaining my desperate need to keep things stable until the time is right was easier without Lysa's presence. If she had joined us, I would have had to curb my tongue when explaining Littlefinger's plotting.

Hoster's own illness helped in gaining sympathy for my plans to give my daughter a secure future. It's the reason he wanted to continue the talks today, with the rest of his family present for input. And I need to remember to be careful about how I speak of Baelish.

"Edmure only really has a few acceptable choices." Catelyn agrees with me as we take our lunch near the river and the children playing around the bend. "Lord Stannis is correct. If my we wish Edmure to bring in a useful ally, it's either Arianne Martell, Margaery Tyrell, or Asha Greyjoy." I try to keep a straight face at how clearly she dislikes the last choice.

"He could try marrying into one of the more influential Westerland houses." My face wrinkles in thought as I try and avoid steering the entire conversation. "Maybe try and split some of the houses in favour of you, if it comes to that?"

Excited laughter gets louder and it's clear the children have finally finished the game. The parade is still out of easy listening range, but we agree to put the talks on hold anyway.

"Who won?" Eager to avoid talks of his own betrothal, Edmure is fast at turning everyone towards the golfers.

"The girls did Lord Stannis," Admits an only slightly embarrassed Jon. "They took first, second, and third place."

"And why didn't I hear any singing?" I adopt a mock scowl as I gaze down at Shireen.

She sees right through it and rolls her eyes. "I didn't think you really meant it."

"Well I do." Selyse adds with barely concealed glee. "So you better tell your friends the words and fast."

With a huff of embarrassment, Shireen does so and brings the other girls to the side for a huddle. But Davos worries it's going to be like when he got caught by his wife, singing 'Fat Bottom Girls'.

"M'lord, are you sure this is wise?" He gives the beaten boys a worried look.

"Don't worry Davos, these young men are all honourable like a true knight." The seven boys perk up proudly at my claim. "They aren't going to let a little bit of harmless japing sour the good mood." I turn my gaze just a little bit harder as I peer into each boy's eyes one after the other. "Right?"

The bobbing heads are enough to satisfy me and I soften my face back to a half smile. "Good. Now just enjoy the song, I did write it myself after all." In French and everything, even if I am definitely not the one who created the masterpiece.

"You're becoming quite the entertainer." Chuckles the Tully heir as a cloud of flies try to get at his wine. "You should ask the King to name you his Master of Games."

"I'm trying to spend more time with my family, not less." I remind him tersely before looking at the now ready girls. "You teach them the words already?"

"The first verse and the chorus," Shireen agrees with a rapidly reddening face.

"Whenever you're ready." I start to whistle the tune for them and grin at how excited Arya seems to be.

My blushing daughter swallows her nerves and starts to lead the song. But half a beat too soon, Arya turns a teasing smirk towards her brothers and screams the next line early.

"And those guys are losers!" That only lights a fire in Bran's eyes and I know the boys are not going to let this defeat stand.

"No we aren't!" Wails a distraught Robin. "Gendry and Edric had the lowest score."

Hissing in frustration, Edric is quick to lay the blame at his half brother's feet. "Gendry's the one who kept losing his balls!" The younger Baratheon turns his glaring blue eyes onto his elder. "He kept whacking them so hard, one of them even burst apart!"

"I believe we're going to be seeing a lot of each other over the next few years." Snorts Edmure as his squires start talking about practising for next time.

"We have more important matters to discuss right now I'm afraid." Changing the subject with a stern motherly tone, Catelyn holds up the bowl mixed with strawberries and peers at me. "My eldest daughter Sansa, she would love this yogourt you brought. What will it take for you to give our cooks the recipe?"

Watching Bran chase my laughing daughter around with a frog, I point at them with my nose. "Just let your Lord Husband know that the match has my approval." Keeping his eyes on South of the Neck, should might even keep him walking around for years to come. "I intend to have her betrothal secured well before I face my end. And I haven't met many lads, that I would rather my little girl end up with."

"I will be sure to discuss it with him." She appears intrigued and so I ease off for now.

"What does your Ned intend to do about the increase in Wildling raids?" Her uncle cuts in gruffly. "The He hasn't been able to push the news from his mind, not once in the three days since he was told.

"Ned's going to the Wall once I return." The proud woman clearly doesn't want me to think my help wasted and is being careful with her words. "My husband needs to speak with the Lord Commander himself, before he decides on anything rash."

"Maybe I should go with you." Brynden strokes his chin in consideration, even as Hoster's eyes simmer with anger. "I'm not needed around here for a while." He doesn't need to be Lysa's tether to her childhood anymore and Robin has a new uncle to fawn over.

"Only three days and you already want to leave again?" The growl from Lord Tully contains more rage than I knew he could still muster. "Is my hospitality that terrible?"

"I thought hearing how Stannis here was able to put aside his own pride and apologize would have inspired you." Brynden looks away from his brother and sighs harshly. "But I should have known better. Just like a trout can't choose it's stream, us Tullys can't choose who we resent."

"Ain't that the truth." Jon mutters under his breath quietly enough, that I believe no other adult heard.

"Is that all you want, an apology?" Hoster shocks us all by taking a moment to calm himself. "Because if that's the price to have my brother back, I'll gladly pay it a thousand times."

He stands up and waits for Brynden to do the same, only speaking again once they share nearly a minute of silence. "I'm sorry Brynden."

"Do you really mean that Hoster?" The Blackfish sounds a little choked up and it's even easier to see his hands shaking at his sides.

"I was scared the rebellion was far from over and thought marrying you off was necessary to our survival." He shrugs at that comment and even chuckles a little bit. "Seems I was quite wrong about that. We did just fine."

Chapter 16: That’s Not Very Friendly
Chapter 16: That's Not Very Friendly
Robert

"If you do that," Jon warns me off from my spur of the moment idea, the second I utter it aloud. "Ned will never forgive you for sticking his daughter with Joffrey and you know it."

He's right, not even Dragonstone has been enough to force responsibility upon him. As soon as Stannis sailed away, my son started ruling the way he always dreamed of.

"But Stannis already has the other daughter with him at Summerhall." "But I've already agreed to send Tommen to the Rock with Jaime."

"You could still send Myrcella to Winterfell or use some of your brother's good will with Tywin." That might work.

I could see if Tommen can stay at Summerhall until Stannis croaks and give him a chance to make Arya weak in the knees. Varys has confirmed that my brother is getting worse and probably isn't even going to last until these games of his.

I might even just bring Tommen to the Rock and have an extended visit with my dying brother first. "Why not both?" Varys can root around Cressen's study and see if he's missed anything that might help my brother.

"Because you know it's a waste to tie both of them to a single family." My foster father reminds me and I realize I've been overlooking a very simple solution.

"Why am I thinking so hard over this?" My sudden guffaw only gets Jon to roll his eyes at me. "You have a son and he's not turning out to be feeble like I feared. I bring Tommen to the Rock and we can give our children the good news on the way."

"What of Myrcella?" Once again Jon has to slow me down and hammer out the details. "Do you still intend to send her to Winterfell?"

"The Greyjoy heir is still at Winterfell isn't he? Ned can let me know if the lad is still a rotten squid or if he's been turned into a real man. "And Ned has had nearly a decade to shape him the same way you did for us."

Jon strokes his chin and considers it for a few moments before answering. "You would need to see what kind of progress Ned has made first. You should bring Myrcella with us and we can stop at Riverrun on the way."

Can't blame him for wanting a chance with his wife. Seeing her in a swimming suit was more than enough for Jon to get some envious looks. And now I know why he keeps humming Stannis' song about fat bottoms.

Tywin was quick to make Jaime's reinstatement as his heir official and has already sent him home. He's also searching for a suitable bride for him and I dread Cersei's reaction once it's been done.

"The dragon is dead and Varys' spy says the bitch remains barren." I'm really starting to get excited about the trip and decide I'll even use it to do some official work. "The Watch keeps sending ravens about the savages massing. Us and Ned can go see if it has any merit while we're at Winterfell."

"But who would run the city?" Cautions Jon with a crinkle in his brow growing into a scowl.

That's the easy part. "My wife is the Queen. She can have her jollies for a few months and her father can actually keep things running."

"He has been helpful in recovering the missing gold." Jon's scowl softens a tad. "And Tywin will be pretty busy keeping the crown prince under control."

"Ain't that the truth." The boy's already taking after me and has a beautiful Volantene woman following him around like a puppy.

"Of course if young Theon isn't suitable, I have seen the way she looks at your brother Renly's squire." Of course Jon has a back up plan and of course it involves those damned Tyrells.

Loras
"I'm impressed with the design." I admit when I get my first look at Summerhall. "But more impressed that the keep is nearly finished."

"The Faith will be ecstatic once they see the place," Agrees my darling with that dazzling smile he saves for me alone. "Even happier than you after Stannis unveiled the speedos."

"Impossible." I deny the claim and my body shakes with laughter. "Though they will love how the walls are being made to look like a seven pointed star."

And it will probably be incredibly difficult to take in a siege. The gates are all funnelled into a path only wide enough for a score of men to ride abreast.

"And you're truly alright with this change of plan?" Renly's face doesn't hide any pain at my words and I sigh in relief as my sister finally catches up.

Grandmother was once quite eager to bind Margaery to Renly, but that was when Stannis was a dour grump. The new Stannis has ensured many Stormland lords will side with Gendry instead and Grandmother has seen the need to adapt.

"I only had the idea in my head for a few weeks before Stannis revealed he had a personality." He admits easily. "My brother has done an excellent job making me love him the last few months and I don't feel that burning desire to upstage him anymore."

"I'm just glad this Baratheon will look at me the way you do Loras." Margaery adds, letting a few giggles escape when I glare at her. "Oh don't be like that. Any woman would be lucky to have even a tenth of the love you two hold between you."

"Still can't believe my brother approves of us." Renly finally grunts, his cheeks dusted heavily with pink. "Even seems to like you." Stannis was the one to invite us and he was very clear about including me.

"Still not going to have my team take it easy on him." My defiant growl only gets a warm smile from my love. "Need to make an impression the first time people see Polo played and I'm going to show the Seven Kingdoms who's the best."

My sister snorts at my enthusiasm but I don't let it dampen my good mood. "The same way Renly and the Stormlands will do with Rugby?" She reminds us that Stannis unfairly gave each kingdom a head start on a different sport. "And like how he gave everyone else one to master?"

"Stupid fair play." I'm not above stacking the odds in my favour, my favourite trick is using a mare in heat when I joust after all.

"It's why I've had my best swimmers practice every day and had others train at any of the strange games Stannis invents." Brags Renly, his chest puffed out in pride. "Wasn't going to only have one event the Stormlands dominated in."

"So you gave Loras the idea?" The smirk Margaery levels at me is enough to peel off a layer of my own bravado. "That makes a whole lot more sense. He's really not known for his bright ideas and that one surprised us all."

Renly is about to lie until I cough. If my secret is out, his will be too. "Fine Loras, I'll tell her the truth." His sigh is mostly for show but I know my lips will be paying for my attitude once we're alone. "Edric was the one who let it slip what kind of training Stannis was having his own men take part in. And... I may have just improved on his routine for my own knights."

"And I assume that Lord Stannis' sense of honour will make sure he gives the Lannisters, Tullys, Arryns, and Starks the same information?" With a look of understanding in her eyes, my sister starts to nod slowly. "Probably even had Lord Tyrion bring the list of events to the Dornish."

"What's wrong with Stannis?" Growls Renly with frustration thick in his voice. "Where's his Stromland pride?"​

Chapter 17: A Kilt Is Close Enough
Chapter 17: A Kilt Is Close Enough
Stannis

"Just remember I'm dying, it's up to you how hard you try." Keeping a straight face somehow, I make sure my black and yellow kilt is securely fastened. "I know I said I would wear a dress, but I just don't have the chest to pull it off. I trust this is good enough?"

Brienne is frowning at the five feet of chain connecting a pair of iron rods in my hands and my distinct lack of any armour. "Are you sure this is necessary Lord Stannis?"

"Tell you what. Since you're clearly intimidated by my mannisness, I'll alter the terms of our bet." Glancing around the entrance hall to the newly constructed Summerhold, I smirk at the iron panels lining both the floor and wall. "Instead of fighting for the right to wear armour, you are instead fighting to decide if the girls take lessons in the training yard with you..."

"Are you serious?" Arya nearly deafens me with her shriek of excitement from her place with the rest of my wards.

"... or dance classes." My smirk grows when Arya's face pales in fright.

"Kick his keister Brienne!" She really likes the way the word rolls off her tongue and the fact that her mother never learned what it really means.

The iron panels alternate between yellow and black paint, with several iron gongs and bells hanging from the ceiling. "Shireen, hand out the supplies please. It's time to start the show."

"To yield or when Jon here calls out a victor." Arya might have hidden her plotting from her targets, but it's been quite easy for someone experienced to notice. This will give Jon a chance to see Brienne in action up close.

Swallowing her dread, Brienne draws her blunted sword with a frown. "If you insist."

"But I've been practising for months, even got a private tutor to help me with my footwork." Syrio Forel was well worth the coin I spent on his services. "I don't want all that work to go to waste. This might be the only chance Shireen ever gets to see me fight." That should make sure Brienne doesn't kick my ass in the first five seconds.

Shireen hands out balls of beeswax soaked cotton to everyone and grins in anticipation. With the children following her instructions to stick them inside their ears with confused faces.

"Selyse, I still need the favour of the most incredible woman in the world." My words get a blush from my wife as she hands me the pale blue handkerchief. "And now my other arm is bare." I hold up my left arm to Shireen and her cousins. "Could I beg the three fairest maidens for favours as well?"

Mya snorts at the comment and shakes her head. "Sorry uncle Stanlee, but mines already been given."

"I guess I'll just have to settle with two out of three." I accept the black silk from a blushing Bella and a yellow one from a very pleased Shireen. "But It's your fault if I lose."

"Ready on three?" Calls out Jon before I get too distracted.

Brienne sighs at the words but does give the Snow boy a confident smile. "If I must."

"You might have heard of the Braavosi Waterdance or even the Dornish Sanddance." I start to strike the ends of my segmented staff against the iron panels, creating a loud boom with each hit. "Now get ready for the Storm Dance!"

As I pick up momentum, the sound grows nearly deafening when I start to slam into the gongs and bells. It's so loud, it feels like waves of sound are crashing into us while I leap away from her unsteady swings.

Every step I take comes with as much force as I can muster, adding even more echoes to the cacophony. As I count the strikes with my chained staff carefully, I grin in triumph when the chains start to get stiff.

Really wasn't sure if this would do anything but annoy her. Glad I'm not going to look like a complete idiot. Though I''m not sure if it's because of the science working out or something to do with the magic of Planetos.

Sparks crackle with each strike of my iron staff and I can see Brienne realize I'm ready to act. She tries to strike aat me first, using her shield to block a counter attack as she throws herself forward. Sadly for a warrior of her skill, I'm not playing fair.

I throw my staff and have to hold back a cheer when it wraps around her. The two iron bars have been magnetized and lock Brienne in place. Her momentum sending her crashing into the floor, with my weapon now holding her firmly against it.

"I think you can call it Jon." I try and get my squire's attention but he just gives me a blank look in response.

"What?" Probably should have given him some of the wax.

"Did I win?" I speak slowly enough that he can read my lips.

"I think so!" Jon roars back, clearly having a hard time with his sudden deafness.

Letting out a breath of relief, I turn back to the audience. "So it's settled. You girls are going to be taking dance classes with-"

"That's not fair!" Arya whines, even while Jon and Gendry start to help Brienne get free from the chain. "She would have beaten you in a fair fight."

"Of course she would have." I easily agree with the claim, getting only a 'huh' in response. "That's why no fight should ever be fair when lives are on the line." My eyes are firm as I make sure the children all have the words hammered home. "If you lose one of those fights, people you love will die... or worse."

"How did you do that?" Samwell blurts out as he tries to pull the iron staff off the panelled floor. "Can you teach me magic?"

"The Storm Dance requires a lot of preparation, unlike the Sand and Water variations." I pretend to consider it, even though my mind is already made up. "I think it's better if I let Syrio teach you all the Braavosi style instead."

Arya's face changes into a bright smile as she suddenly realizes what I've been trying to say. "But isn't that just what they call sword fighting?"

"In Braavos it is." My nod finally gets the last of the betrayal out of Arya's eyes and she throws her arms around my waist in a tight hug.

"Thank you. Thank you. Thank you!" She squeals almost as loud as the bells and I know I'm not the only one to wince.

"You're welcome, you little rapscallion." Arya preens at my comment, eager to add another new word to her arsenal. "Now didn't I said after the show it was bed time for most of you?"

Joy and Arya sigh in near unison, though Shireen looks as excited as she was before the fight. "Are you going to tell us a bedtime story?"

That gets a chuckle from the Stark girl and she peers up at me. "Like the ones Old Nan tells?"

"Are hers true or make believe?" I already know the answer but need to pretend ignorance.

"She claims they are tales of the past." Finally getting some of his hearing back, Jon joins the conversation.

"While mine are all made up and are just meant to make you have good dreams."

Shireen is already wondering what kind I'm going to tell tonight and realizes a problem with my plan. "You can't go any farther in the Narnia story though. Edric's not here!"

"I guess that means it's going to be something new." My smile grows enough to reveal nearly all my teeth. "I was thinking it's about time to share the story of Themyscira and it's warrior women."

"Warrior women?" Arya is already hooked.

"The Amazons lead Queen Shirippolyta and her cousins Benna Troy and Myssie Stonesmark." I can see Shireen puff out her chest at that connection. "As well as the guardian they sculpted from clay to act as champion against man's ignorance. Brianna the Wonder Woman."

"Brianna travelled man's world on the orders of her Queen, searching far and wide for any girls in need of either freedom or safety." I point at Joy and Arya, winking once they realize I'm about to include the two of them. "But I guess if you're too old to hear bedtime stories..."

"We aren't too old!" I'm pretty sure even Brienne's voice was part of that cry and I pretend to concede.

"Alright fine, go wash up and get into bed. I'll be up soon to start the story." Everyone dashes of except for the oldest teens and I have to roll my eyes at how hard they are trying to resist. "You lot too. We just spent the whole day on the rode and all of us stink worse than King's Landing."

Chapter 18: Meeting The Neighbours
Chapter 18: Meeting The Neighbours
Gendry

With how much my life has changed already in only half a year, having two older sisters isn't anything I even bat an eye at now. It might have taken me a few days to decide how to handle Ser Domeric, but that's just because he already had Mya's favour before I met them. It's not really fair of me to intimidate someone she met first.

But the Bolton heir seemed to understand my conflict and actually offered to help me train privately. I'm not going to be besting Jon anytime soon, but I finally feel like it's a possibility. Since Uncle Stan likes him, I'll just focus on making sure Bran and Samwell are up to snuff instead.

"Milk." Bella interrupts my thoughts by putting down her painted tiles and poking Sam in the shoulder. "How many points is that?"

"Don't even think about helping my sister!" I snap at my friend just a little bit too harshly. "You know Maester Cressen said you're not aloud to help us anymore."

His eyes dart back and forth between us as my scowl only deepens. "Sorry Bella. You have to add it up yourself this time."

"Fine." Rolling her eyes at me, Bella starts tto hold up fingers as she counts. "One, two, three..." She starts cocky but gets unsure at the sight of a little five in the corner of the K tile. "Six?"

Sam shakes his head and holds up one hand with three fingers and another with all five sticking out. "How many is this?"

"Eight!" I blurt out when I realize I've figured it out first and blush at the cough Sam lets out.

"What happened to not helping?" He isn't mad and seems more relieved that I'm not getting mad at his own assistance.

Hanging my head I can't do anything but sigh in embarrassment. "Sorry... I got a little excited." It's nice to find out that even if it will take forever to learn my letters, the number part at least comes easily to me.

Bella has been promised the entire troupe of cabaret performers once our uncle finishes training them and will even teach her his code along with Shireen. He's keeping his promises and making sure all of us have a future, even if he's been lying to everyone about his condition.

My oldest sister is set to go North after the games as long as the talks with Lord Bolton continue go well. It's horrible, but it seems the Wildlings raided the village of Domeric's bastard brother. The raven was reason enough to excuse Mya and her suitor from any duties today.

My Father was already going North to investigate the growing horde, but now he's bringing twenty thousand blades with him. At least that is what a strangely excited Uncle Stannis told me when he said the games are now set to become a celebration of victory.

"I think that's enough for today," The voice of Maester Cressen makes me glance over at him and whatever has caught his attention outside. "It would seem Lord Stannis has guests and some of you will be needed to keep them separated." What does he mean by that?

"What's wrong?" Shireen knows him the best and catches something in his voice that I clearly missed.

"Your Father just expected your Uncle Renly's party and the Dornish one to arrive a few days apart. Not marching towards our gates from both directions and racing to be the first." The elderly man lets out a snort of laughter as he gets us all moving out the door.

The last thing I hear as the door slams behind me, gets a grin of my own to grow. "Never thought I'd live to see the day Stannis was so sought after."

"Father will be forced to meet with the Tyrells first, since Uncle Renly had to go get them himself." Shireen explains with a confident look in her eyes, even though I can feel my armpits soaking my tunic. "So you and Mother will need to speak with the Dornish party. What do you remember about Dorne?"

Her expression is a perfect imitation of her father's expectant stare and I struggle to find my voice before it. "It's hot, they grow the hemp that Uncle Stannis keeps buying, and woman are equal to men?"

"... Let my mother do most of the talking." She shakes her head in frustration. "Hopefully they take it as a sign of respect that Mother greets them as Father's equal." And not the insult everyone else would? "Samwell, just make sure Bella doesn't say anything to... colourful."

When we all finally get in line beside Lord Stannis and Lady Selyse, it's barely in time to watch Uncle Renly's party. Edric gives a wave when he makes eye contact with me and I wink back as they begin dismounting.

The golden haired Loras offers a hand to someone so similar they have be related. When has her feet on solid ground, she turns her face on the rest of us. I better start helping Shireen and Arya, or I'll have to get a whole lot better in the yard. I'm not losing this vision of beauty to that pretty boy Jon.

Renly clasps arms with his brother and doesn't resist when Stannis pulls him into a one armed hug. "It's good to see you, we really missed Edric around here."

My brother was only gone for a few weeks but I agree with Uncle Stannis completely. I like it better when my family is around... now that I know who they are.

"And what about me?" In mock hurt, Renly steps back and gasps. "You didn't miss your dear brother at all?"

"I have a life time of memories with you, but less than a year with the children." Not falling into the trap, Stannis accepts the Tyrell beauties hand. "And I think the lovely Margaery would agree that Edric is by far the cutest Baratheon man here."

"... I don't know about that Lord Stannis." Margaery counters with a giggle that sounds like honey as my uncle presses a kiss to the back of her perfect hand. "His brother is giving him a run for his gold."

My face heats up so fast I start to worry my hair is aflame, but realize it's just embarrassment when I begin to sputter. "I... You..." Holding in a groan, I try one more time. "Me Gendry."

"He might be the pretty brother," Edric interrupts with a smirk. "But I'm the smart one."

Shireen shares an unreadable look with her father before she exhales loudly through her nose. "I guess you can show Lady Margaery around while I help with entertain our Dornish guests." I might officially be the heir, but this only proves it was a sham to get me a name.

"Who are all these lads and lasses?" Stannis' voice cuts through my thoughts and my eyes finally move to the couple dozen teens with the Tyrells.

"You told me to check any brothels for workers young enough for a different line of work and these are the ones I found." Answers Renly with a look of smug pride. "Even found you a Flowers at one of them. You do still want them don't you?" The smugness starts to fade into concern.

"OF course I do. This is enough people to start rehearsing for 'The Wizard of Oz'." Clapping his hands eagerly, Uncle Stannis pushes Bella forward. "I believe you're the one who is in charge of that."

Bella can understand what the performers have gone through, which will only make it easier for them to feel safe here. I know it took me weeks to really believe my life had gotten better.

Chapter 19: Curtain Call
Chapter 19: Curtain Call
Stannis

"Are you ready Tommen?" I whisper to my nephew, as we huddle with Renly stage left. "Bella's friends are almost done with the play, you remember all the words?."

He doesn't dare peer out from behind the thick velvet curtains and lets the laughter from the audience calm him down. "I think so."

I tried to get something Shakespearean ready in time, but Robert bumped up the schedule with his surprise visit. The only thing I could remember nearly in full was 'Sweeney Todd'. It sounds like most people like it at least.

"Of course he does," Barks out my younger brother as he puts a comforting hand on Tommen's shoulder. "We're the Princes of Westeros after all."

"Right!" The boy stomps his foot in agreement and his face starts to relax.

The three of us take the stage once the stage is cleared of all the pigs blood and see many familiar faces watching. Robert has Myrcella on his left and Mya on his right, with a very pale Domeric taking the next seat.

Dom seems to be lacking all of his usual wit today. I just hope Robert hasn't been too harsh on the kid while I've been rehearsing.

Arya and my daughter are working on their 'devious' plotting, with Jon and Brienne sandwiched between the two girls. Seeing Myrcella seated beside Robin still makes me blink when I notice them. Is this my doing, or might this have happened anyway, if Jon had lived.

It's even more shocking to hear Arianne Martell let out a genuine bead of laughter in response to whatever Loras said. It seems she and her uncle will be staying for a while... even though I don't actually remember inviting them.

I haven't really seen Varys much since Robert's party arrived either... So it would seem this is it.

As the three of us take a bow, Tommen gets by far the most cheers. His father lifting him over head and showing off his talented son to the crowd, gets Renly to share a laugh with me as he rejoins Loras.

"Only a few more songs from me tonight and then I'll bring the girls back out for something more energetic." My warning gets a groan from my guards who have already heard me practice for weeks and just want me to get on with it. "

So to thank the man who made sure Renly and I lived through the rebellion..." I start to hum the moment musicians begin to play 'Best Friend' and grin when Davos buries his face in his hands.

The chill on my spine spreads when I never actually find Varys in the crowd, making a lump of dread in my throat beginning to grow along with it. Tyrion and Gendry have my plans for the Games and Shireen will be well cared for now.

I'm already caught in the Spider's web. No point in struggling now... I'll just get people I care about tangled up with me.

The band changes tempo and I start my final song, seeing wet eyes forming in the faces of those who care about me. Whatever is left of Stannis inside of me, fades away with a final echo of thanks in my head.

"Who wants to live forever?" By the time I'm on the final chorus, Shireen is sobbing in her mother's arms. Be strong darlings, I know you'll be okay with Bran and Gendry.

"Forever is our today!" The Tyrells are working with Renly to court my heir and Jon Arryn gives Shireen and Bran allies in the Vale. "Who waits forever anyway?"

Robert is the first one to pull me into a hug when I walk off stage on a pair of trembling legs. "Tell our parents I wont be more than a decade myself." His voice is choked with emotion as he whispers in my ear. "And tell them how sorry I am... for not being their for you and Renly when they died."

I know he's also trying to apologize to me but just doesn't know how. "It' s alright Robert, I forgave you years ago. I'm just sorry that I never told you that."

"Just make sure to train your players well, Jon and his Hipball team can't have the complete run of the court." My big brother frowns at first, but he does finally nod back at me.

"Fine..." His eyes go past me and when I turn back to follow his gaze, it's to the sight of Samwell and Bella blushing near some flowers. "If the Tarly boy a decent sort?"

"It pisses the Tyrells off and finally acknowledges the only victory against you." It's one of the few grudges you never really settled yourself.

Robert finally chuckles lightly and shrugs his shoulders. "You're the one who cared about my kids enough to find them. I'll approve any pairings you put forward."

"You seem quite happy to find a more mature Robin." I smirk as Robert doesn't even try to deny it.

"Of course I am, you beat me to the Starks." He grumbles back at me with a slight scowl creasing his brow. "So I had to make sure you didn't take the Arryn's from me too."

Renly has been close enough to overhear the entire conversation and points over towards Arya. While shows off her wolf to the very intrigued Sandsnakes, Edric is frantically trying to decide between two different bouquet.

"Looks like you're actually going to snag both families for yourself." No bitterness fills our younger brother's voice and I sigh in relief.

"It was either this or the Greyjoy hostage." Grumbles a shockingly sober Robert. "Robin and Myrcella will actually let me sleep soundly at night."

I'll see you two at the feast, I need to take care of a few things out here first." I make my secretly final farewell with my brothers and move on to the rest of my wards in quick succession.

When I make it to Shireen and my wife, it's starting to get hard to commit to the choice to go quietly. Varys wouldn't be striking if the Targaryen invasion wasn't going to be soon. I need to do what I can to smooth things over and that means not causing a scene.

"I love you both, more than you will ever know." Something in Selyse's eyes starts to catch on, but I dart backstage and head towards my dressing room briskly.

When the door opens and I catch sight of the bald head in my chair, I hiss out a quick request. "Just let me get the door shut first, I don't want to frighten the children if they find me."

It's barely noticeable in the candle's light, but Varys seems to grow his respect for me. "I can appreciate that. You really have become quite competent Lord Stannis and I'm afraid that's why I'm here now."

"Don't incriminate yourself and make things harder on the Targaryens." My warning finally gets a look of pure shock to appear on Varys' face for the first time since I personally met him. "I already got something painless prepared."

I give the name of a relatively painless poison and pull the vial out of my desk. Just please tell Daenaerys how sorry I am about the circumstances of her birth."

Varys blinks a few times and waits for me to continue my 'confession'. I waited as long as I could to take Dragonstone... but Queen Rhaella just wouldn't leave until it was too late."

"... You never actually sent a single ship after Viserys." The spymaster realizes what I;m trying to insinuate.

"Of course not." The firm declaration gets a shameful expression to grow on Varys' face, even as my own throat starts to constrict. "I'm not a kinslayer."

"It's rare that I make such a gross miscalculation." The guilty admission from Varys makes me smile even as my vision begins to fade.

"Just ask Daenerys and Aegon to spare the children I got clear of King's Landing." I wheeze out and can only hope Varys heard me.

His fleeing footsteps are surprisingly accompanied by cries for Maester Cressen. "Someone get Maester Cressen!" He's really good at faking that tone of innocence. "Help! Lord Stannis won't get up!"

Notes: I had plans for 2 more chapters, but family stuff has come up and I'm just in a completely different headspace. This chapter will probably feel a little off, but the longer I delay the worse it will get because of my mood.

Chapter 20: Epilogue 1
Chapter 20: Epilogue 1
1 Month Later: Davos

Being forced to keep the true cause of Lord Stannis' ailment to myself, is the first time one of my promises to him has been tested. Almost everyone believes he was just good at hiding how serious his illness really was. But Lady Selyse and I both know better and this is the first time one of my promises to Lord Stannis has been tested so.

The Master of Whispers' quick discovery of him, is the only reason my lord even has a chance at life. And the reason he is no longer just called a lord as courtesy. The land once claimed by the Baelish family is supposed to be miserable, so I'm not sure why Lord Varys had a face splitting grin.

It has been tense here at Summerhold these last few weeks. The King delayed his trip as long as possible, in hopes his brother would awaken for some final words. Eventually though, the King's fury drove him North with the army. Seven have mercy for the Wildlings, because the King will not.

Lord Stannis has done nothing but mumble and moan the entire time, with the servants barely managing to get any broth down his throat each day. Maester Cressen is firm in his promise that our lord will recover and that's the only reason we've been able to go forward with his plans.

Though as I pass by a stiff backed Gendry and the lovely Lady Margaery, I wonder how long it will be until her father sends an offer. The pair are trailed by a blushing Samwell and Bella, with the boy refusing to meet my gaze.

The lad may be a slower learner with a blade than even myself, but he's a natural with the harp. He's left the other boys in his dust already and I expect Bella will convince him to play on stage soon enough. Though I'm not sure why Lord Stannis paled when Jon considered learning the harp for himself.

"How are the lessons going?" My voice somehow manages to keep out the amusement as I address Gendry.

"They don't give me headaches anymore." He mutters back and gives Samwell a brotherly scowl. "But I'm never going to be the warrior of words, that Sammie here is." The Tarly heir tries to deny it, only for Bella to let out a string of giggles at her brother's expense.

Trying not to embarrass either lad more than I already have, I glance over at the Baratheon girl instead. "And what about the dance lessons?"

The stories the four rush to blurt out first bring a smile to my face and it remains the entire walk. It only grows bigger when I see Shireen laughing with her friends outside the room claimed by Syrio.

"Davos!" Her voice calls out the moment she catches sight of me. "Did you get a new story out of the pile?"

"Of course I did." Holding up the sheets that her father had written in the strange language he seems to have invented, I watch her eyes shine with glee. "I wouldn't miss story time for anything, we're so close to finding out if Ser Skywalker can redeem his father."

"But why did your father make Jaime kiss his sister?" Arya blurts out and pretends to gag. "I'd never kiss Jon. That's just gross!"

"If you ever want to release the story, I'd suggest changing Ser Skywalker's name to something less famous." No reason to get the Lannisters mad, not when they're one of the top contenders for the assassin.

When we arrive at Lord Stannis' room, we're let in almost immediately. The sight of my Lord sitting up and struggling to drink water makes me lose my voice in shock. Though Shireen manages to avoid that fate.

"Father!" She barely manages to stop herself from leaping onto the bed, restraining herself to a slightly too tight hug. "You're alive." Sobs Shireen, while her Father's arms slowly wrap around her.

"I am." His voice is lacking the charisma I had started to grow used to this last year, but it's not quite back to the old gruffness either. "And it feels like I've been living a dream for months. But I'm finally awake now and feeling like myself again."

"... Is that a good thing?" Leave it to Shireen to jump right to heart of the matter.

My lord closes his eyes and really considers the question deeply. It's almost a whole ten seconds before his eyes open again and I can see them shimmering with guilt.

"Are you happier here, than back on Dragonstone?" He responds to his daughter with a question of his own, his voice heavy with years of turmoil.

"The happiest I've ever been father," Shireen promises without a shred of doubt.

"That means it's a good thing." He pulls her back in for a hug and waves for Bella and Gendry to join them. "I just wish I knew how much easier things are, when you can say sorry and mean it."

Notes: Was going to just release all 5 parts of the epilogue in a single chunk, but I don't want to leave it on such a sad cliffhanger. So this can tide you all over for the next week or so.

Chapter 21: Epilogue 2
Chapter 21: Epilogue 2
6 Months Later: Robb Stark

"Keep going!" My snarl drives the others to follow the already fading trail.

Domeric just wanted to see his brother's grave and no one could fault him for that. So while our fathers and their lords discussed plans in the Dreadfort, we decided to go for a ride. Stupid of us!

The Wildlings had already raided this far South. why did we think it would be safe now just because the army was gathering?

Mya accompined her betrothed, with Sansa and I of course joining them to the remains of the village. Which of course got Theon to invite himself and then Father insisted we bring the Reeds with us.

I thought we would have been fine with two dire wolves keeping watch. But the pair just sat quietly while the Wildlings crept up on the girls.

Theon took a knife in the shoulder when he managed to catch up to the one with Meera, forcing me to leave the two behind. The savages are fierce and swift on foot which only angers me further.

Only one has any idea how to ride a horse and of course that's the one with my sister. When the Wildlings start to split up, I roar back at Domeric to go after Mya.

Lady and Greywind are gaining ground on our own target, now with only a single companion to get in my way. In my seething rage, I don't realize how long the chase goes on. Nor do I notice when we leave Bolton lands and the relative safety the army provided.

A grin threatens to replace my grimace at the sight of Greywind snapping at slower Wildling's leg. And a dark grunt of amusement escapes when he's bucked off the panicking mare, not moving after his skull strikes the ground.

Sansa lets out a shriek when I throw myself at them, sending all three of us tumbling into the snow. Before I even have a chance to react, both wolves are on the Wildling. His screams are surprisingly high pitched and it takes me a few moments to realize who my captive really is.

"You're a girl!" My shock is increased when I realize that neither wolf is tearing out the blonde's throat.

"And you're a madman!" She wheezes back as I approach with my own knife in hand. "You could have killed all three of us with that stunt."

"Why did you, take my sister?" I know the Wildling men would want such a healthy young lady, but not why this beauty would.

"My sister's husband said to grab the king's daughter." Defiance flashes in the Wildling's eyes and I start to wonder why our women are hunted at all. The ones they have are more than desirable to the eyes.

She tries reaching for her own knife and I barely step on her hand in time. "None of that now." My comment only gets a noncommittal grunt and I make sure too watch her closely. "Why does he want Mya?"

"All our dreamers started saying the same thing." Her eyes dart behind me at the same time I hear the crunching of snow. "We're only getting South of the Wall with a marriage." The guarded look calms me and I turn to see Jojen and Meera have caught up. "So Mance said a royal one would be best."

"The King Beyond the Wall?" That would make her a Wildling princess. "That Mance?"

She finally sits up when my shock gives her an opening. "Aye. The one and the same."

"And who are you?" Snarls Meera, still not over her own attempted abduction. "Why shouldn't I kill you?"

I'm forced to step in and lower the spear with my own hand. "She's a princess, we can't just kill her."

"But they tried to steal us!" Sansa hisses at me, enraged at the idea I might forgive her for being pretty.

"And failed." I finally make up my mind and grab the blonde's wrist. "So I'll take her hostage and bring her back with us." That should hopefully give us a way to end these raids even faster.

"So you're stealing me?" She twists her face into an amused smirk and doesn't struggle when I bind her wrists. "I guess this still accomplishes what Mance sent us out for."

"What does she mean?" Jojen is the only one laughing at that comment and I try not to snarl at him.

Last edited:
Chapter 22: Epilogue 3
Chapter 22: Epilogue 3
2 Years Later: Daenerys

Marching through the Red Keep, I can't help but take everything in silence. When Drogo had finally admitted he had no plans to cross the Narrow Sea, I was surprisingly okay with that choice. I was already Khaleesi and happy with my life.

But the Usurper couldn't leave my family be and had his agent make his move. Jorah killed my husband and fled with our son.

I never thought to see him again and only pressed on through a newfound desire for vengeance. But my nephew Aegon and the Golden Company found them in Meereen.

They kept my son safe while I travelled to Vaes Dothrak and gained an army of my own. The dragons that hatched in the pyre of Khals, proved Aegon was who he claimed. And I was finally no longer alone in the world.

Once Aegon has his throne, Varys will need to fill us in on where the missing army is. The Usurper is a warrior and our army faced counted barely a thousand soldiers in the city. I'm worried his army will pour out of the Kingswood in the middle of the night and try to retake the city.

While my Dothrakki patrol the outskirts to prevent that, the more disciplined soldiers keep the peace inside the walls. And three dragons circle the city until I call them off... that should stop anyone from doing something stupid.

"Lord Varys." Our Dornish companion calls into the shadows, his voice a barely contained storm of rage. "Where is Arianne?"

Prince Oberyn and his Dornish spears met us in the Stepstones, with rage at this Prince Joffrey for holding his niece hostage. She thought his attempt to mend the family feud was proof he could be controlled... but was very quickly proven wrong when he locked her in the maiden vault.

"She's safe," An overweight man with a polished head emerges with a pleased smile. "Thanks to some shocking assistance from one of Joffrey's white cloaks. Sandor has kept your niece calm while awaited your arrival."

"Any news from the North?" Oberyn hisses back while we near the throne room. "How much longer until Robert has finished with the savages?"

Our spy's face shifts into a glowing smile. "I have some wonderful news on that front." He appears to hold in some laughter before he straightens himself again. "It seems he and this Mance Rayder, both died in the same battle before the wall."

The relief floods into me as I focus on his eyes for any sign of deceit. "Truly?"

"Many of my birds sing the same song," Varys confirms swiftly. "Though they don't quite agree on the details."

"And so this Joffrey..." Interrupts Aegon with a glare at a pair of fallen guards, both white cloaks stained pink. "Is now the one wearing my crown?"

"Joffrey was advised poorly by his Red Priestess." Adds Varys with a conniving smirk. "Melisandre lost interest in him, the moment she saw the dragons on the horizon. She found it quite easy to convince Joffrey, that his Grandfather's sacrifice was needed."

Not willing to remain silent any longer, I make my own voice heard. "And the pretender? What of this King Joffrey?"

"I showed him one of the secret passageways out of the Red Keep." Varys explains, his expression strangely smug. "It's a shame that it lead right to where Princess Arianne and Sandor are hiding. Doubly so, once Sandor informs Ser Barristan of the Prince's orders. These last few weeks."

The spymaster explains how Ser Barristan has been searching the city since the day we took Dragonstone. "He wanted to burn his half siblings..." Varys chuckles for a moment and preens with well earned pride. "Shame how I'd already smuggled the five here, out to the safety of Summerhall."

"The ruins?" I frown at the sight of a dead woman seated on the Iron Throne. Her golden hair and red dress mark her as Cersei Lannister in life, with the spilled goblet of wine showing her cowardice.

"Not since your cousin, Lord Stannis..." Varys has been very firm on laying all the blame at the feet of the eldest Baratheon and was quick to share how I truly managed to escape to Essos. "Decided to have it rebuilt." It seems I have even more to thank my cousin for.

"He even swindled the Lannisters into paying for it." Oberyn's approval only cements my choice to leave Stannis be. As long as this Ser Davos keeps any raven from reaching Lord Stannis, he can be kept from choosing between family.

Chapter 23: Epilogue 4
Chapter 23: Epilogue 4
5 Years Later: Brienne

The trenches around Winterfell are filled to overflowing with bodies, a few already set ablaze by the dragons. It's hard not to choke on the smell filling the courtyard, but Jon is insistent on finding his family.

Lord Stark survived the Wall's fall, but he hasn't walked a single step since that day. He and the other noncombatants sheltered in crypts and my heart clenches at the sight of the broken open door.

"Jon?" He was going to stay in they South, until Arya pointed out he only needed a new name. Something that I could provide my friend with just a simple marriage.

"No..." He denies what his eyes are confronted with and forces his way inside the crypts with a frantic desperation. "Father!" The call is answered at once, by a massive shadow blocking our path.

"I held the door Ser Jon." The burly man who Jon claimed was once called Hodor, stands bloody with a dozen broken wights at his feet. "I didn't let any of them get past me." He wheezes in pain and slides down the stone wall. "But is it okay if I take a rest now?"

"Don't even think about it!" The gruff voice of Lyanna Mormont barks at him as she starts clearing the doorway. "Not until the Maester looks at that head wound."

As she emerges from the darkness with a swagger I still wish I could find, Jon rushes towards his revealed family. Sansa the betrothed of our new King Aegon, pushes her father's wheeled chair with relief filling her eyes.

On either side of her is little Rickon and his mother Lady Stark. The newborn Annalee, squirming in her mother's arms. She'll never believe what we had to face and that's enough to make me chuckle.

"It's finally over." The sound surprises everyone and I just can't seem to stop.

It having been days since anyone had heard genuine laughter at Winterfell. And for Brienne the Brick to be the one to start it off... was just enough for everyone to share the moment.

Lady Catelyn recovers first and I feel Jon tense beside me when he notices her gaze. It darts between my husband and his uncle.

Jon did some investigating and was able to cross a few names off his list of possibilities. But I was as shocked as Gendry and Samwell, when my husband greeted Daenerys as his aunt. It made our victory possible, having three ridden dragons to scorch the dead.

"What about Aegon? And Robb." Sansa blurts out when she notices the absences. "Where are they?"

"Fine last time I saw them," Lord Jaime enters through the nearly cleared doorway. He clutches the lion pommelled Longclaw with one hand, even as his face tries to appear relaxed.

Stannis told the late Lord Tywin of who had a sword and a very desperate need for gold and men alike. And after tripling the number of men in the Watch and a million gold offer, the Lannisters finally had the precious blade. Though after seeing Lords Robb and Jaime wield their Valyrian steel swords so expertly... I can think of few who would have used them better.

"Robb had a good plan with the bones." I can see the relief warring with bitterness in Lord Stark's eyes. "They started to rattle around, which really started to worry me. but separating them even a few inches... stopped them from being an actual threat."

As we leave the crypts and rejoin the survivors outside, my mind starts to drift towards a far happier future than I had ever dreamed of. With Princess Daenerys and Renly moving to Dragonstone, Lord Stannis has been offered his families seat and position as Lord Paramount.

Which means not much will truly change for Jon and I. Most of our friends will remain near us in the Stormlands and we still answer to Lord Stannis. Though the way he eyed Jon and I last... makes me worry he's already plotting out how to betroth any daughter we have, to his own newborn son.

Notes: Well, this is the end. Family stuff got worse and I just can't get the 5th​ one out with a happy mindset. This one was almost impossible after my uncle had a stroke and died. I was getting prepared for bad news from grandma and this took me by complete surprise.

I know the epilogues are a little off tonally, but I'm not going to be able to right anything happy for months. Sorry for not landing the epilogue as well as I handled the whole story.

Back