• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

Better Enjoy This While I Can (ASOIAF, Stannis SI.)

Vale's National Sport?

• Cricket

Votes: 7 25.0%
  • Ultimate Frisbee

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • Soccer/Football

Votes: 5 17.9%
  • Basketball/the Mayan version

Votes: 10 35.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Game with hammers - cricket? or something else ? And what about Arryn? did Lysa get him,or not?
He's still alive, and will probably stay that way for the foreseeable future.

Though I'm surprised the S.I. didn't arrange Baelish to have an "accident". Then again, maybe since he now sees Jon as a friend, Petyr will end up falling down some stairs soon...

No, no, this is good.

Just imagine the absolute amounts of seethe and copium from the Reach when they find out big burly bearded barbarian northmen have the most graceful and beautiful sport there is. :V
It'll have to be done in the north's version of the games. With them hosting the Winter ones.

Ooh, a complete Reach/North rivalry based on elegance. I like that idea.

Game with hammers - cricket? or something else ? And what about Arryn? did Lysa get him,or not?
Croquet. You wack a ball through arches on the ground. that's all I really know about it.
Croquet.
OIP.74BWRJl2AZExxhSCfiavCAHaHa
You make a trail of rings and each player hits a colored ball through them (in the correct order) and then hit the post you place at the end. It was pretty much the only childrens game with a hammer I could think of and thought Robert would love that (thinking I invented a whole 2 sports in honour of him).
He's still alive, and will probably stay that way for the foreseeable future.

Though I'm surprised the S.I. didn't arrange Baelish to have an "accident". Then again, maybe since he now sees Jon as a friend, Petyr will end up falling down some stairs soon...
Correct, Jon is safe from Lysa for a while. She only paniced when he wanted to seperate her and Robin. Littlefinger is going to try and worm his way into coming/visiting somehow.

Baelish didn't have a personal stake in Stannis or anyone the SI cared about originally. Now he's starting to care for Robert and Renly, and has made a friend in Jon (really good catch by the way, I was expecting that to be an in hindsight people made the connection thing.) A baelish encounter is coming the chapter after next.

Chapter 6: Big Waves
Chapter 6: Big Waves
Renly

When the three of us find the throne room already empty, it's with frustration that I realize Stannis must have started without us. The Tarth girl has been nearly as silent as a statue since I picked her up at the docks and I'm getting desperate for the entertainment my drastically changed brother has promised.

"I hope you know what you're getting into," I caution Brienne as we head towards to garden Stannis claimed.

His idea about getting Robert to name his two bastards as our heirs was at first an insult. Slowly I've been picking up on his hints aimed towards myself and Loras and realized he's trying to do me a favour. Not the insults and condemnation I expected, but genuine love I haven't felt in years.

"Last month my brother would have loved this silent protector for Shireen." The buck toothed girl pauses and frowns in confusion as I explain. "Ignore whatever your father said about just staying out of trouble. This new Stannis will be far happier if you involve yourself in his strange new games." And maybe it will keep those love struck eyes of yours away from me.

"Father was just pleased someone saw reason to give me a chance," It's barely above a mumble when she finally does get her words out. "I'll do whatever is required of me to serve Lord Stannis and his family with honour."

With a child's impatience, Edric interrupts with what I'd almost call a whine. "Where is everybody? You said I was going to meet Gendry today."

"And you will Edric and we'll speak to Robert about making things official when the time is right." Loras and I had worried Stannis was making his own plays ahead of schedule. But it really seems like he's giving me all the good cards and keeping the Lannisters focused on him.

Echoing footsteps announce the arrival of a smirking Loras and Samwell. Kind of pudgy and looks like even a dark shadow would spook him. Glancing between the two heirs he requested with slowly dawning understanding, I start to think about Edric potentially being a match for Margaery instead of myself.

"About time you got here!" teases my always gorge's lover, his smile as hard to resist as it always is. "You aren't going to believe what your brother came up with for this feast of his. But let me just say..." He leers at me in a way that promises a good time tonight. "I love his sense of style."

"Well now I'm curious." Stannis has never been big on fashion, so if Loras is pleased it must be incredible.

We get lead out into the garden to the sound of laughter and cheering, punctuated by the occasional splash. Some of the children are smacking coloured balls through some rings with a mallet, while on the other side of the pool I notice some people wearing very little.

"See what I mean?" Whispers Loras low enough that Edric doesn't hear him. "He calls them swimming suits. Says the make you swim faster and Robert insisted the style was sticking around once the ladies came out wearing them."

He's right, I can actually see Robert ogling his won wife right now as she stands at the shallow end with her ladies in waiting. "He convinced Robert to wear so little?" How?

"Told the King that between the three brothers," Stannis heard me and stops before me with an amused grin that still seems out of place. "I'm the ugly brother and still have the stones to wear one." I sputter at how blunt Stannis says it and let my brother handle the introductions.

"It's good to see you again Eddie, you're really starting to look like a Baratheon." My brother watches me at that comment, with me barely nodding enough for him pick up on. "And you two must be Samwell and Brienne. It's so nice to finally meet you both, but we just need a few seconds to deal with some family business."

The two confused heirs watch as Stannis turns and yells out at Robert. My blubbery brother's belly is on full display from his place on top of the bouncing plank of wood and I only hope it doesn't snap in half.

"What is it?" Robert doesn't even sound that drunk and it's getting close to suppertime already.

"Renly is here with Edric and I know you hate wasting time with the boring meetings." Our eldest brother scowls at Stannis' words and agrees firmly.

"Damned straight. I already sit on that throne all day and I don't need to waste anymore time listening to people talk."

"Well then let me do you a favour and get this out of the way fast." Stannis actually winks at me and I'm left stunned for the rest of the conversation. "Me and Renly both need a male heir and we conveniently have two right here with us."

With a wrinkling brow, Robert glances at Edric and Gendry shaking hands. "Is that all you want? Because if so, consider it done." He barks instructions at Jon to make sure it's written down officially and then shrugs off the thought for later.

"You may have done some fancy flips, but let's see someone beat this!" Roars the boisterous Robert as he charges down the board and jumps.

Like a swan he leaps into the air, his arms and legs spreading out like wings as he crashes down in the pool. Landing belly first and soaking anyone within ten feet of the pool, Robert emerges to a roaring of cheers from the gold cloaks.

Glancing back at the men off to the side, I find myself intrigued by the simple act of lifting weight. the barrels are connected by a single bar and seem to be filled with a variety of heavy things.

"That should keep the two safe enough for the foreseeable future." Mutters Stannis as he finally gives his invited guests his full attention.

"Now you're both probably wondering why I wanted you here." That's an understatement.

"Everyone does I'm pretty sure." I know Loras and I have discussed it a few times.

My 'ugly' brother just raises an eyebrow and glances at me. "Well why didn't you just ask?"

"Would you have told me?" The old Stannis never took me seriously as anything but an annoyance. But the man my brother's becoming is still a mystery.

"I told Shireen she was going to have some friends and I meant it." It's a simple statement and contrasts with this more elaborate Stannis. "So I had the spymaster look for people who could also use some."

"What's that supposed to mean?" Brienne finds her courage and actually has a bit of bite to her tone.

"Just that the two of you need this as much as Shireen and Gendry will." Admits Stannis with a quite voice as only Gendry leads Edric and Shireen away. "You two should talk get to know each other while you're staying with us." He vaguely implies with a wave of his hand.

"You don't have duties for us Lord Stannis?" Finally too confused to remain quiet, Samwell adds his won squeaky voice to the conversation. "I want you to help Gendry get up to speed with his lessons and I want Lady Brienne to protect Shireen."

With a startled gasp Brienne interrupts. "You do? Truly?"

"Varys is rarely wrong." Counters Stannis with a soft smile. "And he spoke highly of both of you, so I needed to snap you up before someone else saw your true value." Well... he's just gotten them both to be loyal for life.

The looks in both heirs' eyes is desperation mixed with devotion and I'm starting to get relieved Stannis and I will not be competing for the crown. He might have actually won.

"Now go have some fun and just try to stay out of Joffrey's path. He's promised me he'll be nice to Shireen and the boys..." Stannis gives our 'nephew' a sad look and shakes away whatever thought was filling his head. "But the rest of you are still fair game."

"Take heed of that warning you two." My own words slip out in support and I glance around for listeners when I remember where I am. "He's got a temper and you two are acceptable targets for his lesser cruelties."

"It's probably for the best if you stick to the games in the garden." Stannis points over to a pair of sandpits with a metal pole embedded in each one and clarifies. "Horseshoes is free right now or you can get in line for shuffleboard, it should be free in a few more throws."

Wonder how the MC plans to get/use the Dragonglass on Dragonstone now... Also wonder what he has planned with everything that will be happening... Varys setting people up and playing games... Petyr robbing the realm and cucking lords... The Targaryens, the Freys, the Boltons, Greyjoys, Dornish and the White Walkers...

Wonder how the MC plans to get/use the Dragonglass on Dragonstone now... Also wonder what he has planned with everything that will be happening... Varys setting people up and playing games... Petyr robbing the realm and cucking lords... The Targaryens, the Freys, the Boltons, Greyjoys, Dornish and the White Walkers...

Nothing,except living quite live and protecting those he could protect.Without Arryn dying,Ned would stay North ,face wildlings,would undarstandt that Others are coming,and let wildlings come.
All Stannis need is say that 700 foot tall Wall was not made to fight savages with bronze axes or maces,and that old books mentioned that dragonglass could kill Others.
Rest would be done by Ned&King,and Wall would hold.

At some point he must get rid of Baelish - maybe ask Lannisters to check his books.Kevan or Tyrion could find all proofs there,if they try.

Later - just wait for Dany come with her dragons,and swear fealty.She would made short work on any internal enemies.Problems could occure only if Blackfyres really are supported by Varys.Or not,if he marry Dany.

P.S Brienne in swimsuit...i must see it !!!!!!!!
Jokes aside - what kind of swimsuits they use? modern,or victorian era?
And why not introduce rugby,or football? some kind of game with ball was played in medieval Europe.

Last edited:
He still has a few months before the construction begins on Summerhall and will be able to take some obsidian. This party is more so he can leave and start arranging for the transfer of power to Joffrey.

Baelish and stannis encounter is next chapter. Varys is the one the SI has no idea how to handle (since he has no idea of Varys' real goal).

Freys are relatively easy to handle, just give them a rival like bracken/blackwood and easiest way is by branching the family with different parcels of land on the edge of the twins, so they have to work against themselves to get the biggest piece of Walders pie.

Dany I have a simple solution for. Aegon is a problem because the SI has no idea who he really is(Targ/Blackfyre/Drgonseed). Boltons I have a plan that will start unfolding in the next few chapters.

Dornish/Lannister/Lorch/Mountain situation will have a hopefully creative answer.

Whitewalkers are more of a "Send aid/supplies and let the people who handle it already, do so." Main thing is bribing smallfolk to head to the Gift/emptying the cells in Joffrey's presence and sending them North to the Wall. Spin it so Joffrey thinks I'm making them suffer more with a lifetime on the Wall, so he keeps doing it once he's in charge. Make some hunting arrows and show them to Joffrey, so he mass produces them himself as a resource (since Dragonstone has nothing else being utilized). Obsidian arrows will be better at going through flesh than anything and this will stock castle around Westeros with them.

Nothing,except living quite live and protecting those he could protect.Without Arryn dying,Ned would stay North ,face wildlings,would undarstandt that Others are coming,and let wildlings come.
All Stannis need is say that 700 foot tall Wall was not made to fight savages with bronze axes or maces,and that old books mentioned that dragonglass could kill Others.
Rest would be done by Ned&King,and Wall would hold.

At some point he must get rid of Baelish - maybe ask Lannisters to check his books.Kevan or Tyrion could find all proofs there,if they try.

Later - just wait for Dany come with her dragons,and swear fealty.She would made short work on any internal enemies.Problems could occure only if Blackfyres really are supported by Varys.Or not,if he marry Dany.

P.S Brienne in swimsuit...i must see it !!!!!!!!
Jokes aside - what kind of swimsuits they use? modern,or victorian era?
And why not introduce rugby,or football? some kind of game with ball was played in medieval Europe.
The Lannisters also want to kill Jon Arryn, they just wanted to do it a couple years later. But even a year delay should keep Ned around for Mance's uprising.

Stannis is better of basically ignoring the Wall and helping supply it so it lasts longer and arrange it so Ned investigates on his own, telling Robert/Jon who will believe him immediatly.

Baelish gets an encounter next chapter.but he's only had about 3-5 years to work his magic. Baelish only made things worse when he arrived, but the hemorrhaging gold was already occuring. (Baelish doesn't become master of coin until between 293-295)

Dany really is the easiest part. "I let you and Viserys get away by delaying my arrival on Dragonstone as long as I could. I only blame myself that Rhaella didn't leave with the chance I gave her." Then mention how the royal fleet never pursued them and it was because of my orders.

Aegon and Varys are the serious concerns because the SI has no idea what is true about them. Stannis still needs to push Varys in the pool and see how well he swims.

Swimsuits are the 1920-1950's style. When they stopped being called bathing suits and started getting called swim suits.
Children/cheaper version:
6.jpg

Half modest version:
8.jpg

Men version(shirt optional):
9.jpg

Skimpy version (bikini was invented in WW2 because of fabric shortages) that Robert approved:
10.jpg

Gwendoline:
21759576-7751027-Sexy_Gwendoline_Christie_s_career_turned_in_an_exciting_new_dire-a-87_1575381112865.jpg

ON Rugby/Football. I played Rugby in Highschool and was going to have it be the Stormland regional sport. So good guess on what was coming next.

Chapter 7: Giving Him The Finger
Chapter 7: Giving Him The Finger
Stannis

"Lord Stannis, wait!" The smarmy voice of Petyr Baelish sends a chill down my spine as Tyrion and I are about to leave the Red Keep.

The last of my orders have been finished and it's time to start filling Tyrrion in on my plans for Summerhall. He seems happy with the idea of a seven star keep and my desire for the courtyard to almost entirely be devoted to socialization.

"What does he want?" Groans my companion just loud enough for me to hear.

"We have a few ways to find out." My voice has a hint of danger as I realize this man is trying to have my only friend killed. "But I prefer the direct approach little brother."

I say it casually and don't really think much of it, he is my goodbrother after all. But from the corner of my eye Tyrion's jaw is hanging low enough to catch cats.

"Sorry it so long to acknowledge you as such but I've been focused on my anger at Robert for a long time." That gets a snort from Tyrion and creates a gleam in the eye of the approaching Petyr. "I'll live longer if I let go of the stress and I realized we're both the ugly brother of our families. I should have offered a hand to you years ago in solidarity, so I hope it's not too late for a dying man to try this properly."

"I've heard that you're looking for performers." Chimes in Littlefinger as his eyes race with schemes I know will be beyond me discovering on my own. "And I believe the eunuch has had a hard time with the task." He knows because I needed a way to make him come to me outside the Red Keep.

"He keeps bringing me children when I need young men and women in good physical condition." I refuse to train children in something so intensive and anyone else will just hurt themselves in the process. "Actually..." Petyr perks up even as Tyrion's face scrunches up in frustration. "You own several brothels, do you not?"

Shock shines in the Master of Coin's eyes and I can see him decide to pounce on the opportunity before it slips away. "You want some of my girls? Or is it the boys you would prefer I show you?"

"Both actually." Tyrion was clearly expecting an outburst directed at Baelish's smug face and starts to choke in shock.

"What?" My goodbrother hisses at me loud enough to draw the guards' stares.

"It'll save time if I go with him now." My words have Petyr nearly dancing on his heels in excitement while I can feel Tyrion's eyes boring into my skull. "If I give you the list of shops, can you go pick everything up for me?"

With a sour expression that I can't really fault, Tyrion finally nods slowly. "I guess."

"Thanks." He scowls but does accept. "I'll meet you back with your father when I'm finished?"

Tyrion and my own guards march of with only a few confused glances being sent my way as Littlefinger and I head off towards the Street of Silk. The schemer doesn't waste time and starts to pry as soon as we're on the move.

"I never would have expected you to take me up on the offer, let alone be so public with your..." His hand gives a little twirl as he tries to avoid actually saying it. "Desires."

"I said I needed performers and I actually mean it." With a firm voice I make my point clearly. "I'm not looking to hire a few whores for a night or two. I'm offering them new jobs and I'll let you get in on my gambling plans early."

"Food, Whores, and now Gambling?" Amusement fills the Vale Lord's voice as he thinks he finally has me figured out. "What's next, drinking as much as the king?"

Grinning with him makes my stomach turn but I manage to play along decently well. "Not really for me as I've discovered. I keep myself satisfied with the hemp from down in Dorne." I knew they had entire town tied together with it and it was a great pleasure to find out the plant is widespread in Westeros.

Over the course of the afternoon, Littlefinger leads me through each of his brothels and lets me interview his trainees freely. By the end of the day I have two dozen young men and women in their teens, each one incredibly eager once the found out how much I intended to pay. Finding out about the change in profession probably helped with the number of applicants as well.

The Master of Coin never once stops in his pursuit of information, constantly peppering me with innocuous questions that I know are really ways to find out my plans. Eventually I can't take it anymore and nearly ruin everything.

Only biting my tongue hard enough to draw blood stops me from speaking several times. I'm actually ready to thank the Seven when I finally rejoin Tyrion and my men on the way back to the Red Keep.

"I thank you for the aid you gave me and the words we shared today." Petyr's chest puffs up in arrogance when I say goodbye and I can see him struggling to remain modest in public. "But I'm afraid that Tyrion and I have a meeting with Lord Lannister."

"And my father does not like to be kept waiting." Agrees Tyrion, even though he still has no idea why I asked him to arrange this surprise meeting upon Baelish's arrival earlier today. Tywin will probably be even angrier at having to be kept waiting for our return and I can only hope my words direct it away from me.

"We can speak tomorrow when I bring the 'performers'." I can hear the doubt in Baelish's voice and can tell he thinks I still intend to use them all carnally.

As soon as he's out of sight my face goes grim as I think of the chaos Littlefinger will unleash given the chance. I can live with what I'm about to set in motion.

By the time Tyrion and I reach the solar of his father, my mood is reminiscent of Robert in his most rage filled moments. Tyrion seems a little bit intimidated even, but he deflects by telling rapid fire bald jokes that are pretty hard to not laugh at.

In his gold trimmed seat that resembles a throne, Tywin raises a tense eyebrow when we enter. "You better have a good reason for keeping me waiting."

"Baelish is trying to kill Lord Arryn and pin it on your family." The blunt truth makes Tywin's stern face start blinking wildly as he processes the information.

"He's already got Lorch working for him and 'your' foolish bannerman thinks it's only you and Ser Gregor who Baelish plans to sell out to Dorne in the chaos." And just a little dash of a lie to really hammer the final nail into Petyr's coffin.

"Lorch broke months ago and squealed on everything. Baelish thinks he has you bent over a barrel right now..." A rumbling growl rises in both Lannister chests.

"And why are you telling me this?" That's what Tywin is focusing on right now?

"I'm no idiot and know his plans include Robert's death. Littlefinger left out any mention of my older brother in any of his plans for the future and the absence told me all I needed to know..." Tywin is eager for my response and leans forward ever so slightly. "We're family in the eyes of everyone else and any plots will be against both Lannisters and Baratheons."

A half smile finally graces the face of Tywin, even though his eyes seem to be locked in a perpetual sneer. "Thank you for coming to me with this." He looks about to say more, but I quickly snap my fingers and interrupt.

"And get Tyrion to go over the funds since he took over as Master of Coin. I know Robert is terrible with gold, but the problem with the treasury somehow became desperate in only a few years." They both make sounds of agreement at that comment. "I know how long a loan from you used to last and how many more we need each year."

Last edited:
"Your bannerman betrayed you and Littlefinger is planning on murdering you and fucking with your family"

*[RainsOfCastamere].jpg.gif.png intensifies*

This was a good chapter with japes and plans abond, and while I possess an excess of elation over the fact that this has surfaced in my alert box, my attention remains divided over the fact Charles Dance read a snippet of 50 Shades of Grey, and my mind ponders...

Hah, Big Fat Quiz. I love that show.

They've got a bunch of 'Charles Dance Reads' where he reads from something like that. Usually THOT autobiograpies and such. They're great.

This was a good chapter with japes and plans abond, and while I possess an excess of elation over the fact that this has surfaced in my alert box, my attention remains divided over the fact Charles Dance read a snippet of 50 Shades of Grey, and my mind ponders...

Charles is so much like who I was in highschool. I love the videos of him dancing in a dress (You can probably find videos of me on youtube doing my highschool play version of Rocky Horror, I was Dr Frankenfurter.).
I see SI Stannis plans are coming together.
He really just needs to have his keep constructed and find out if/which Stark wards are coming.

"Your bannerman betrayed you and Littlefinger is planning on murdering you and fucking with your family"

*[RainsOfCastamere].jpg.gif.png intensifies*
Finger Poppin Time, Fingers to the Bone, Fingers in the Fire, or One Finger Snap, are the songs I'm trying to decide "writting" for Tywin.

With Baelish gone,only problem remain is Varys.We still do not knew for whom he is working.Maybe kill him by Lannisters,too ?
Maybe try to convict Ned to led wildlings come - problem is - how?
Now,SI could only wait for Others caming.He did what could be done in his position without superpowers.

Chapter 8: Salsa
Chapter 8: Salsa
Jaime

The last three months have been like strange dream. With nearly no effort on my families behalf, our problems have been taken care of one after the other.

A few weeks with Stannis as they toured the Dragonstone vassals was enough to install at least some form of public mask. Telling Joffrey exactly why people love the fat slob Robert and let him get away with so much actually worked.

My oldest is actually making an effort to conceal his worst behaviours now and with the revelation of Baelish's plotting, Father has started to restore his order on the King's finances. Tyrion is even being recommended to take the position as Master of Coin, by Stannis himself no less. Though if it's just to get my brother to stop looking over his own coin, I'm not sure.

Stannis' goodbye feast is an even bigger event than his other parties have been, with gold and silver rings hanging from the ceiling. Each pair of hoops is held by a fit and flexible person with each one wearing little more than the new swimming suits.

"The aerial dancing is really something special." Tyrion pipes up from his seat, his neck craned up almost since we arrived. "And what did Stannis call it?"

"Gymnastics I believe." It's an incredible feat and I'm wondering how long I could just hold my self on a pair. "How's the salsa?" The bowls of spicy red sauce are eaten with baked triangles of corn flour and have gone over even better than the attractive acrobats.

"Excellent and I have no idea where Stan is coming up with all these new dishes." Between the two of us, we have half a dozen plates of all new kinds of food Stannis taught the cooks how to make. "The yogurt parfaits are amazing!"

Clouds of smoke fill the room as the herb Stannis provided is picking up it's fans but my eyes dart to the man of honour the second he calls for the crowds attention. "Thank you all for coming to my farewell feast and I hope you all treat my replacement with just as much respect!"

The smug face of Pastor Redwynne eagerly allows Stannis to lift both of their hands above their heads and soak in the rowdy crowds cheer. With one of the King's brothers married to a Florent and the other in bed with the Tyrells, it was Tyrion's idea to split the power in the Reach with the Redwynne's betting the position.

And with the boring pleasantries out of the way..." He drawls out and offers his now free hand to his blushing wife. "It is time to dance!"

A strange rhythm starts to play and I can vaguely recognize it as something from the Summer Isles. They way it stirs my hips is all the proof I need. Stannis and Selyse waste no time though and start an incredibly sensual dance, both leading with the hips.

For the first minute or so they keep the beat easy enough for the more ambitious nobles to try copying. But once the crowd has joined in, the duo proceed into a practised performance that looks practically like sex with clothes on.

"This dance will probably take off if the Dornish ever hear about it," Chuckles my little brother as a cloud of smoke engulfs my head and I'm forced to bat it away.

"He plans to invent a bunch more of these 'sports'..." Tyrion nods at my words and waves for me to continue. "He let the Reach learn the rules of one early and I know the Stormlanders are already training in this 'rugby'. But does he have any plans to give the Westerlands an edge with anything?"

"He let me decide what sport each Kingdom is being sent instructions on early." It really is nice to see my brother carefree and I'll overlook many of Stannis' oddities in grateful exchange. "I thought Baseball sounded perfect for our family."

I'm really only interested in how many different forms of combat Stannis seems intent to showcase and find the dancing a waste of his surprising talents. "As interesting as the last few months have been, I'm looking forward to things returning to normal."

"I've heard you've started training earlier." Tyrion peers at me with curious eyes that almost always get me to break. "Worried the young men might unhorse you again?"

Jousting has never been my best skill and I don't intend to waste my time on it this year. "No. Stannis is having a swordsman only competition." Along with nearly every kind of weapon.
"And I'll still be able to dominate the general melee and duels like always."

"What does our dear sister think of my idea?"

"She's not raging over the idea of Tommen and Shireen anymore." Just that you came up with it.

Turning my eyes back to dancing when the music slows back down to a pace beginners can follow, a glassy eyed Stannis is almost in front of us. "Jaime, I really am sorry for how long it took me to pull my head out of my own ass."

Speechless at such a blunt introduction, I'm forced to pass Tyrion my ale when he starts to choke. The Baratheon gives us the time to recover and it's the smarter Lannister who speaks first.

"In general or is this an apology for something specific?"

Stannis laughs back takes no offence, proving he really has changed from that bitter person he used to be. "The feast is the general apology but this one is specifically for your brother's heroism." My eyes snap to the bald man with a predator's intensity as my heart starts to beat faster.

"What are you talking about?" My mouth is dry as we lock eyes and I somehow know what Stannis is about to say.

"You saved the city from fiery death and never got rewarded for it." He doesn't shout the words, but his statement echoes through the suddenly quiet hall. "I don't know why the pieces never got put together but it really wasn't hard to do at all once I started looking into things."

"What is the last thing the Mad Aerys said to you?" He turns away from me and stares right into the King's confused blue eyes as I'm forced to answer.

"Burn them all." Gasps of horror surround me as the realization starts to hit people.

. "For someone who burned people alive daily, why was no wildfire used against the Lannister, or allied forces?" I can see that even the dimwitted oaf is starting to understand and I really don't like the looks of respect coming my way. Father is going to use this to take me back to the Rock and I can't do anything to stop it.

"The day Ser Jaime slew the Mad King, he also slew the pyromancers and prevented the caches in the sewers from igniting the entire city!" Stannis winks at a stunned Tyrion and shakes hands with me before I can think of a response. "So let the rest of this feast be in your belated honour!"

By the time I start to form words, it's to the sight of Stannis marching from the hall with his wife. Cheers drown out the hammering in my ears as Father's calculating eyes take in the response.

"Father's going to need to double the funds he's giving Stannis after that," Grunts Tyrion as the crowd rushes to surround me. "This might actually get you off the Kingsguard if Father pushes."

The bodies of Lorch and the Mountain are already on the way to Dorne with a letter penned by Tyrion that will hopefully ease tensions. Admitting what Lorch and Clegane did was a gamble for sure. But saying Tywin only took credit to make it seem like he was in control after the savages went off script... might just be enough to calm Doran down from whatever Baelish was stirring up.

It was Stannis' idea to give Joffrey credit for 'finally admitting fault' and have him give the Hound permission to plan the ambush on his brother. If Sandor recovers from his wounds, he'll probably end up with my cloak.

With Baelish gone,only problem remain is Varys.We still do not knew for whom he is working.Maybe kill him by Lannisters,too ?
Maybe try to convict Ned to led wildlings come - problem is - how?
Now,SI could only wait for Others caming.He did what could be done in his position without superpowers.
I have 4 different ideas for how to handle Varys and I'm putting off deciding between comedic, diplomatic, violence, avoidance.

The Wildlings idea is about 3-5 chapters away.

I agree. Stannis has done pretty much everything he can and now it's just about getting the Stark/Baratheon kids and goiing back to Summerhall.

Additional Scenes 1: Ain’t No Mountain High Enough
Additional Scenes 1: Ain't No Mountain High Enough
Sandor

When Joffrey gave me permission to go form a band and bring in my brother's body, I thought it was just some cruel jape. It took Lord Tywin's firm stare and the following nod to really let the news sink in.

"Just make sure he's recognizable and you can do it anyway you wish." Years of serving Joffrey have finally paid off and for this permission I'll serve him as long as he requires.

Tywin just held the promise over my head and deep down I know he wasn't ever going to let me take my revenge. But the cruel little prince wants to start making a name for himself it would seem and he's going to start by trying to make amends with Dorne.

The dozen men I gathered at Casterly Rock will have to be enough for my ambush. Anymore armoured men tromping through his lands and I would have tipped of even Gregor.

Crouched in the bushes on each side of the creek, I wait impatiently for my brother to cross the rickety wooden bridge. Even before our sabotage, the decade old bridge groaned when more than two of our horses crossed at a time.

"Payne better not have squealed on us." The growl that emerges from the bean pole beside me just makes me level a harsh snarl on him for silence. "His uncle might be silent, but Podrick will sing forsure if he get's questioned about anything."

"Then why in the damned hells did you let the bastard come with you?" My words get Benedict Broom to flinch away from my raw anger.

"Not like we had many volunteers on such short notice." Interrupts the far braver Lydden knight, drawing my ire away from Casterly Rock's useless master of arms. "And you wouldn't let us go down and check in Lannisport either."

That would have had someone running to Gregor before I could get everything ready for him. "As long as the squire can deliver the summons, Gregor will be coming down this road."

I silence the nervous knights and wave for them to all get down. The thunder of massive hooves signals it's time for action and we all tense with weapons in hand.

For the last two days the lot of us have been sawing into the support beams of the bridge and halfway through the bottom of every other board. It was definitely overkill because when the first board of the bridge collapses beneath the horse, it sends both the horse and Gregor tumbling the entire nine feet.

Not wasting anytime to return the Payne boy's cry of success, I march towards the groaning form of my tormentor. The bridge's debris isn't enough to pin my brother, already he's starting to clamber to his feet.

The horse took the brunt of the fall and is braying weakly on the ground as I come to a stop. "I'd give you some fancy words about revenge, but I don't think your cunt brain could understand them."

Gregor snarls as his eyes lock onto me. "This was you!" Instead of going for his sword and leaving himself open to my blade, Gregor grabs one of the bridge legs and swings it for head.

I easily get my arm up in time to block the awkward swing, barely even feeling the half rotten wood smash to pieces against it. None of the men I brought join the fight, instead doing as I commanded and holding the rest of my brother's men at sword point.

Countering with a downwards slash of my own, it's incredibly satisfying when he's forced to use even more debris as a shield. Podrick tries to shout something to me but I ignore the squire in my desire to finally get my revenge.

Pain floods my leg as the not quit dead yet horse kicks back at me, snapping my knee backwards with a sickening crunch. I drop into the shallow creek and watch the crimson mix with the muddy brown water beneath me.

I only manage to get to my knees before Gregor has his sword in hand and he towers above me with a manic grin. He starts to say something mocking, but I don't hear a single word. My vision goes red and all I hear is my own heavy panting.

The wetness on my face is warm and runs down my chin in sticky rivulets that I'm having a hard time wiping out of my eyes. "What the fuck happened?"

"Uh..." Payne mumbles the rest under his breath and settles for pointing down the ledge he's still at the top of.

Once the blood is wiped away enough that I can mostly see, I follow his shaking finger towards a heartwarming sight. The rock Podrick had dropped was more than enough to kill Gregor, helm and all.

As I let the scene soak into my brain, I start to laugh at the horse doing more damage than Gregor did. "We're telling everybody that my brother broke my leg." The chuckles from the men isn't satisfying and so I repeat myself more firmly. "Understood?"

Goliath and Payne.Maybe made boy king,like Dawid ?
Jokes aside - all SI need now is invent new things.For military,too - blackpowder would be useful against Others.And new furnace for making better steel - problem is,with Westeros technology they could made 18th,maybe early 19th stuff - not modern one.And i doubt,if SI knew much about technology from 19th century.

P.S did he invented icecreams arleady? what about austrian chocolate cake? shwarward,or something like that?

Last edited:
Chapter 9: Country Roads, Take Me Home
Chapter 9: Country Roads, Take Me Home
Stannis

The speed at which Shireen has picked up French is astounding, especially since she's only been able to practice during our singing lessons in the morning. But as the whole lot of us parade into the Riverlands, she's already started to teach Devon and Robin some basic phrases.

Lysa wants the Lannisters dead now more than she ever did Jon and I'm just grateful my name was left out of Baelish's arrest. Keeping her away from the capital is going to be necessary for at least a few years, otherwise someone will pin whatever actions taken on the Hand.

When our convoy reaches the fork towards Riverrun, we bid a temporary farewell. Gendry, Brienne, and Samwell will be coming with me to Stoney Sept, while Davos and Selyse bring the rest to enjoy Hoster's hospitality.

Devon wanted to come at first and I had to tell him that we'd be spending the ride discussing betrothals. That was enough for the boy to be quite happy with his job 'protecting' Shireen. In truth, I just don't want the children or Lysa to have any misconceptions about Bella Baratheon.

She accepted my offer and a signed letter in my saddle bags will give her our family name. But the Peaches is a brothel and children don't really understand nuance... or tact. It's better if they only know the town she comes from and the rest is left vague.

Once the four of us are finally left alone with our thoughts and fewer childish antics, I decide it's time to finally speak to the teens about my plans. "I can trust you all with a secret, can't I?" I know I can, that's one of the benefits of living with people I've read stories about.

"Of course you can Uncle Stannis!" Gendry is first to assure me, with the other two quick to offer their own moments later. "You can trust me with anything."

The promise is heartfelt, but I really don't want him thinking he owes me more than familiar affection. Well... and he needs to look after Shireen for me if something actually does kill me.

"We both swore to serve you faithfully." Adds Brienne with a firm stare of uncomfortable devotion.

Samwell's words are less inspiring but equally loyal. "If I squeal like the piggy everyone calls me, Father won't even give me the chance to go to the Wall. Not after shaming the King's brother."

"Good." My eyes dart between the curious trio and I let a smirk grow. "Your sister Bella grew up kind of like you, only if you had been raised with silk instead of steel."

Gendry understands right away and his mouth clamps tight in a good imitation of the old Stannis' grinding. "Oh."

"Exactly." I take a moment to promise Bella will be cared for with my eyes, while Sam explains what I mean to Brienne in hushed whispers. "Now on the topic of love...." Gendry blinks at the sudden shift. "I've thought about your future and have a few suggestions for you to think over."

"What?" He's still not used to being asked for his opinion and I've having the hardest time getting him to actually speak his mind.

"Well..." Desperate for answers, Gendry leans towards my voice. "One of our guests will be a Stark girl about your age, either Sansa or her younger sister Arya. But the Tyrells also have a daughter and I'm sure you could charm her in no time at all."

He doesn't answer and so I hold up a third finger and keep going. "The Greyjoy's have a girl a few years older than you and Jeyne Westerling is available." Even if the North and West go to war, that would avoid the whole broken vows and keep the Lannisters from focusing on us at Summerhall. "The Manderly girls and Alys Karstark are good matches, and of course you can always hook a Frey."

"And I have to decide now?" Sheer panic is draining the colour from Gendry's face. "Without knowing anything about them?"

"Hells no!" I try hard not to laugh in his face and keep my expression neutral. "I'm telling you now so you have time to do your own research with Sam and decide all on your own."

"Why am I here for this?" Interrupts a confused Brienne.

That's easy to answer, so I flash her a charming smile that even Renly would consider adequate. "Bella will need some female companionship and I want to ask if you and Samwell have given any thought to my first conversation with you?"

"We have." She doesn't sound pleased with the focus now being on her love life, trailing off with a heavy blush growing on each cheek.

"And?"

She glances away when my stare get's unbearable. "Samwell is a friend and it would benefit us both..."

"But?" I can guess that she's just not that into him.

Brienne does seem to have a type considering both Renly and Jaime. She at least needs the appearance of a warrior to be attracted to a man.

"We'd both rather pursue other options first." Samwell is shockingly the one who answers with a hesitant tone. "But aren't against it if you insist." I can see his own cheeks are growing pink before shadows from an overhead tree shade his face.

"We are both aware of how much we owe you." Agrees a Brienne with a flat voice and I have to groan at the misunderstanding.

"All of three of us are." Adds my nephew and now heir.

I'm forced to roll my eyes at how easily I could have avoided this. Just going for a ride with the trio outside the city walls at any time the last couple months would have been long enough to clear things up.

"Well first off, I really don't care who you end up with." That comment gets wide eyed stares from all three of them. "I told you two to talk and you did. So now Sam and Gendry can both go over the names I listed together or even get creative with choices. But it's something you all need to start thinking about now."

"Do you have any ideas about who I should approach?" With a hesitant voice that shows how self conscious she really is, Brienne lowers her eyes to the dirt.

"I have a few ideas and luckily a few might meet us at Riverrun." I still don't know which Starks are coming home with me, but it sounds like Catelyn brought nearly the whole gaggle down with her. Only Ned and maybe Jon should still be at Winterfell.

"As long as Mya decides to come stay with us, then her escort might be a lad you find worthy of a closer look." Domeric Bolton is a good man supposedly and this will give me a chance to find out. He was soon to return to the North, so it was a simple matter to request he bring my niece with him.

Just being able to breath in fresh country air has me in a better mood and I'm having a harder time faking the occasional winces of pain as the day goes on. Realizing how quiet the teens have gotten as the conversation has gone on, I roll my eyes in amusement.

"Fine, we can talk about something else." Relieved sounds come from each teen and I manage to keep my chuckles fairly quiet. "Have you considered trying out for any of the events?"

"Rowing." Gendry says it with such conviction I have to force myself to not laugh right in his face.

"Good choice." My lips tremble dangerously. "Can't let the Ironborn win."

Outstanding work once again!! I keep wondering what kind of scheme he has for Daenerys?
Thank you, I'm really having fun with this one. Dany's scheme will start unfolding/be revealed in story at Riverrun (2-3 chapters away)
And now I have to wait for more
Love the story btw
Thank you. I love the feedback and it's the reason I post as often as I do. everday burns me out after 3 months or so, so I'm trying a slower pace of a chapter every 2-3 days.

Goliath and Payne.Maybe made boy king,like Dawid ?
Jokes aside - all SI need now is invent new things.For military,too - blackpowder would be useful against Others.And new furnace for making better steel - problem is,with Westeros technology they could made 18th,maybe early 19th stuff - not modern one.And i doubt,if SI knew much about technology from 19th century.

P.S did he invented icecreams arleady? what about austrian chocolate cake? shwarward,or something like that?
Oh, that would have been a chapter name reference. I'll do a Pod delivering the bodies additional scene.

I'll be inventing fun things pretty consistantly, but avoiding anything that makes Stannis and family a target for the players. Totally going to make a waterslide (carved waterfall, many natural ones in use on Earth already, I just make it better.) And since everyone makes the printing press, I'm going even more archaic and making Papyrus.

I've made Salsa and Tortilla chips. More fun foods will be sprinkled in. Haven't made ICecream and I'm avoiding Sandwiches/Pizza/Chocolate/Coffee, since I've seen all 4 used extensively in at least 1 fic/discussed heavily in a forum.

Gendry - Starks and Roses would be too dangerous politically - better chooce smaller house.Jeyne Westerling would do,or Manderly girl.Not other northern houses,they are not seven worshippers.Maybe Asha.
Sam - if not Brienne....the same,as Gendry.Asha would eat him alive,so no.
Brienne - if not Sam - Bronze Yohn had 3 sons,one of them who do not inherit would do.

If your SI do not made icecream yet,do that now.All you need is good milk and right technology.

Gendry - Starks and Roses would be too dangerous politically - better chooce smaller house.Jeyne Westerling would do,or Manderly girl.Not other northern houses,they are not seven worshippers.Maybe Asha.
Sam - if not Brienne....the same,as Gendry.Asha would eat him alive,so no.
Brienne - if not Sam - Bronze Yohn had 3 sons,one of them who do not inherit would do.

If your SI do not made icecream yet,do that now.All you need is good milk and right technology.
Gendry I have plans for.
Brienne has had her pairing hinted at 3 or 4 times. The Royces won't work based on the interactions when both had been members of Renly's rainbow guard.
Samwell is the one I'm unsure of. I have 4 different ideas for him and 2 are more amusing matches that will give Stannis a headache, the other 2 are more sensible choices.

I don't want to do ICecream because of how popular the one forum post on it is. But the post did inspire with a different easy to make dairy food (yogurt).

Gendry I have plans for.
Brienne has had her pairing hinted at 3 or 4 times. The Royces won't work based on the interactions when both had been members of Renly's rainbow guard.
Samwell is the one I'm unsure of. I have 4 different ideas for him and 2 are more amusing matches that will give Stannis a headache, the other 2 are more sensible choices.

I don't want to do ICecream because of how popular the one forum post on it is. But the post did inspire with a different easy to make dairy food (yogurt).

Then what about sorbet? even better then icecream,in my humble opinion,if made from good fruits.
P.S Brienne want warrior,but Renly and Jaime are not possible.
What about Hoster son? he was bad general,but good knight.

Chapter 10: Other People Have Plans Too
Chapter 10: Other People Have Plans Too
Ned

The request from Robert's younger brother has weighed heavily on my mind for months now and I'm still not quite sure if I made the right choice. I had Luwin send my acceptance of the request at Cat's urging, but still had not made up my mind on who to send South when the time finally came.

Only a general agreement that we would meet him at Riverrun was put in the letter and I'm already regretting it. Scowling in my solar well into the night, I find no sudden inspiration on whether it would be better for Arya or Sansa to go.

"Ned?" At some point Cat entered and when she finally got tired of watching my facial expressions, announced her presence. "Is something wrong? Or is supper just not sitting well again?"

The pinched look she gives me is because of Stannis and the ulcers killing him, which has given her all the arrows she needs in her quiver, to get me to spend at least one hour each night relaxing in the sauna with the family. She's even let Jon join us every other night since her sister's raven arrived.

Her childhood friend Lord Petyr Baelish, the one my brother nearly killed in a duel over her, was arrested and executed. Jon Arryn's own letter explained the suddenness of the trial, with the new Master of Coin finding nearly two million gold dragons unaccounted for.

I want to say it's the Lannisters just pushing for more power, but the revelations over what the Kingslayer really did have left me uncertain of even more things. If Ser Jaime has been true this whole time, why should I doubt his brother Tyrion? The man did Robert a great service and is already working out how to recover as much of the missing gold as possible.

"Just thinking about the warding." It's pointless to try and hide anything now, I have no idea how long she stood watching me stew. "Sansa would love to go South, we both know this." The laugh we share at the obvious statement chases away my turmoil and so I decide to trust in a woman's intuition. "But Arya is closer in age to both Shireen and her cousin Robin."

"I'm glad you haven't decided anything yet actually." That's odd, Cat normally hates when I put off business with the South. "Because I'm worried about Lysa."

"So am I." Jon's letter explained she isn't to return to King's Landing for a few years.

With a relieved sigh, she finally slides into her chair across from me. "My sister says that Stannis has been collecting the King's bastards that has me concerned about Bran going."

"I already said I would send a son and daughter to Riverrun and Lord Stannis sent the men and supplies that he promised to the Wall." I remind her that it's too late to back out. "Besides, it's only for a few years."

"Not if Bran becomes his squire." Her voice is flat but her eyes churn with concern.

"So what would you have me do, send little Rickon instead?" He's little more than a babe and I can't help but stare at my Lady Wife as if she's gone mad.

Cat shakes her head and appears to swallow something bitter. "Send Jon instead." My eyes widen in shock as she continues with the kindest tone I've ever heard her use when discussing the boy. "It satisfies the bargain and even though we have our issues, I know he will protect Arya at least." She is his well known favourite.

"What do you really want?" She's avoiding direct eye contact and that's what tips me off.

"..." Sighing at getting found out, Cat tells me her real reason for coming to my solar tonight. "Lysa is just as concerned as I am about the company her son would be keeping at Summerhall. I want to bring her back to Winterfell when I deliver Arya and Jon."

She manages to only have a slight tremble in her lip this time and she presses on when I don't stop her. "While Bran and Robin stay with our father and Edmure instead." With more acceptable friends you mean.

"You know that if Jon goes South to squire for Lord Stannis, he will be free to do as he chooses with his life."

"But it will be with his own name and not ours." And in your mind, that will finally be enough to keep our children 'safe'? "I can welcome him back for a visit once a year, once I no longer have to call him Snow."

It's better than I ever dared hope and I quickly agree. "Alright. I'll tell the boys on the way tomorrow." The Watch deserter still needs to be executed and I need Bran to learn this lesson before I allow him to go anywhere. "But that means you need to break the news to Sansa and Arya."

"You are a cruel Lord." Cat's purr is enough to stir me from my funk. "But fair." She gives me a look that I last saw the night Rickon was conceived.

"Not as fair as you my dear," Letting out a little growl as I rise, I smirk as my lady wife's face flushes. "And now I believe, it's time for this cruel lord to take you to bed." With that said, I peer into the hall before throwing her over my shoulder.

"Don't forget the switch," She hisses when I nearly forget our favourite... tool, in my desk.

Oberyn

The fact that Doran is allowing a pair of Lannisters to dock at Sunspear was almost enough for me to start a riot. But when I was oh so rudely told what was being delivered, I decided I could wait until dinner to cause a scene. Or maybe it was Ellaria who convinced me to calm down enough to listen to the rest of my brother's words?

"You're telling me that the 'Great' Tywin Lannister..." I draw out his name and roll my tongue for emphasis. "Is admitting that his dogs got off his leash?"

"The letter from Prince Joffrey makes it seem like he was the one to push for the apology." Another one of them I have to forgive, what is the world coming to? "And the letter from Varys has made it clear that it's really Stannis and the Lannisters on that ship, who convinced Tywin to sign his name."

"Does this change anything?" I know he's been working with Varys in secret for years now, to keep informed on the Targaryens' progress.​

"It's gotten me intrigued in the dying Baratheon." Doran admits with wry grin directed at the redwood ship, the gold coated figured head too garish even for me. "And I would like it if you went to thank him for me."

That sounds like a really bad idea, even if one that I would love to jump into head first. "You want me to go to the capital?"

"To Summerhall." Corrects my brother as the ramp is lowered. "Stannis has decided to rebuild it and spend his remaining time with his family. Varys says he's even taken in some of his bastard nephews, with the intention to snag a couple nieces next."

"Well that is interesting," I'm forced to admit with a bitter chuckle. "Maybe I should bring the girls with me? You said he wants to spend time with family and one of my girls has to be the same age as his."

The Imp and the Kingslayer almost swagger down the gangway towards us, introducing themselves and strangely the boy squire named Podrick Payne. "I know we aren't your favourite family and that will not change in our lifetimes. But I hope this delivery is a step away from vengeance."

"Just cut to the chase Tyrion," Jaime cuts it with a groan. "You don't spout poetry when the listener wants to gut us."

Giving his brother a a scowl, the cock eyed Tyrion finally reveals why we had to meet his squire. "Podrick here is the one who killed the Mountain. Dropped a rock right on his noggin."

"... I thought it was fitting M'lords." The boy tears his eyes away from the line of girls behind Doran and myself and jerks when he's called on. "I mean M'princes!" His panic scrunches his face up in a way that will be adorable once he grows into it.

"Well I don't think our boring talks will need this brave warrior's presence." Arianne steps forward with my own daughters and takes a shaking Podrick by the hand. "How about we take him to the water gardens, while you handle the lions?"

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back