• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

Cosmos Quest (Naruto/Lupin III)

nightblade said:
To not be totally useless against high class opponents. Like Itachi. I would shoot for minato's skill set to be honest. Or yin-yang release. Probably both considering that Yin-yang release can permakill edo tensi zombies.
Dude, we AREN'T useless against S-class nin.
Ino can already use A-class genjutsu.
Sharingan-blocking A-class genjutsu at that, which puts her way beyond everyone in her age group that doesn't have a tailed beast.

She's faster than Asuma(who is Elite jounin!), she can make use of combat fuinjutsu, she's a sensor, and she has at least one branch of the Yamanaka mind arts on lock.
AND a Summoning contract.
She has yet to even touch her Ranton affinity, achieve her full physical growth, or even dip into Shintenshin proper.
Or poisons.

Look at her stat block on the first page.
Then remember she has been genin for less than six months.
She's a scary, scary monster, with the skillset to kill anything and anyone she puts her mind to, given a little prep.

The fact that she can't beat jinchuuriki at 12 just means she's Kakashi, not Hashirama.

Honestly, given our value is an infiltrator and spy? I agree with Guile. Killing and fighting people is a grievous misuse of our abilities. With our potential genjutsu haxx and ability to sneak around, plus sense emotional states and Yamanaka dickery? Man are put to so much better use to sneaking into everywhere with impunity, planting false info, and stealing real info.

With characters like this, I tend to view, "So you're fighting XXX" as a sign of failure. People like us should be good enough to avoid things that requires fights in the first place.

If we never got into a fight after the chunin exam and spent everything running around, talking the talk, stealing swag, all that non-combat stuff?

Job well done. Go us, get other people to do combat while we do what we do best.

Last edited by a moderator:
uju32 said:
Dude, we AREN'T useless against S-class nin.
Ino can already use A-class genjutsu.
Sharingan-blocking A-class genjutsu at that, which puts her way beyond everyone in her age group that doesn't have a tailed beast.

She's faster than Asuma(who is Elite jounin!), she can make use of combat fuinjutsu, she's a sensor, and she has at least one branch of the Yamanaka mind arts on lock.
AND a Summoning contract.
She has yet to even touch her Ranton affinity, achieve her full physical growth, or even dip into Shintenshin proper.
Or poisons.

Look at her stat block on the first page.
Then remember she has been genin for less than six months.
She's a scary, scary monster, with the skillset to kill anything and anyone she puts her mind to, given a little prep.

The fact that she can't beat jinchuuriki at 12 just means she's Kakashi, not Hashirama.
We even haven't gone into our affinities or sealing. There's a chance we could rival Tobimaru* or Minato. Plus I wouldn't mind picking up flying thunder god. With our ability to mark people with our hands alone we could pull a minato and permanently mark our enemies with it.

*Am I the only one who blames him for everything that happened in Naruto canon?

Hymn of Ragnarok said:
Honestly, given our value is an infiltrator and spy? I agree with Guile. Killing and fighting people is a grievous misuse of our abilities. With our potential genjutsu haxx and ability to sneak around, plus sense emotional states and Yamanaka dickery? Man are put to so much better use to sneaking into everywhere with impunity, planting false info, and stealing real info.

With characters like this, I tend to view, "So you're fighting XXX" as a sign of failure. People like us should be good enough to avoid things that requires fights in the first place.

If we never got into a fight after the chunin exam and spent everything running around, talking the talk, stealing swag, all that non-combat stuff?

Job well done. Go us, get other people to do combat while we do what we do best.
That's good and all but I would rather the ability to fight on the level of an S-class shinobi for when we do need it. Like if someone decides to pull a pain and level Konoha. It would be an honest waste not to pick up some heavy combat abilities. I mean we don't have to go looking for fights or not use our brains. I think what has happened this exam is amazing and impressive. Like the fact we didn't fight at all in the forest and skipped it.

nightblade said:
We even haven't gone into our affinities or sealing. There's a chance we could rival Tobimaru* or Minato. Plus I wouldn't mind picking up flying thunder god. With our ability to mark people with our hands alone we could pull a minato and permanently mark our enemies with it.
I don't think anyone would mind picking up Hiraishin. It's not much less useful for an infiltrator build, since it would allow us to semi-permanently bypass the external security of anywhere that we could ever get temporary access to. Unfortunately, Hiraishin is not something we necessarily have the option of picking up.

nightblade said:
That's good and all but I would rather the ability to fight on the level of an S-class shinobi for when we do need them.

To be honest it's sentiments like that that make me want to avoid taking that stuff entirely, because when we have it, we're gonna want to use it. That leads to doing things like stop being the sneaky ninja to go play battlemage.

But Furiko's making her wishes rather clear, so I suppose we better get with the program.

Hymn of Ragnarok said:
To be honest it's sentiments like that that make me want to avoid taking that stuff entirely, because when we have it, we're gonna want to use it. That leads to doing things like stop being the sneaky ninja to go play battlemage.

But Furiko's making her wishes rather clear, so I suppose we better get with the program.
I think it would be better that we have it but we are so good we don't need to use it unless we have no other option. Much more impressive.

nightblade said:
I think it would be better that we have it but we are so good we don't need to use it unless we have no other option. Much more impressive.

Once again: if we have it, we're going to want to use it.

Is there anyone here that would deny that we tend towards impulse control problems?

Torgamous said:
I don't think anyone would mind picking up Hiraishin. It's not much less useful for an infiltrator build, since it would allow us to semi-permanently bypass the external security of anywhere that we could ever get temporary access to. Unfortunately, Hiraishin is not something we necessarily have the option of picking up.
Its a form of the Shunshin that uses seals.

Hymn of Ragnarok said:
Once again: if we have it, we're going to want to use it.

Is there anyone here that would deny that we tend towards impulse control problems?
Eh if its against someone that being a sneaky ninja won't work on then yeah I could see us using it. But we have yet to run anyone like that besides Gaante and Itachi. The really scary people are the army killers that are smart and sneaky enough that they don't have to fight unless they have no choice.

nightblade said:
Eh if its against someone that being a sneaky ninja won't work on then yeah I could see us using it. But we have yet to run anyone like that besides Gaante and Itachi.

Suigetsu. Going by the sentiment directed his way with Ami, we'd have used it on him in the ring out of spite.

Honestly, us being pants at combat to balance us being so awesome off of it would be a fair trade. Yes, there will likely be some people who just straight up overpower us.

Well, we ultimately tower over people in a lot of other fields, so fair's fair. Lupino does not have to be awesome to super-duper-awesome at everything. Our general weakness in a number of areas has actually been offsetting our hypercompetency rather nicely, as far as narrative satisfaction goes.

No, we shouldn't be so weak even chunin or standard jounin utterly chump us, but us hitting below our expected weight class compared to other S-Ranks, especially the combat monsters, would be fine.

Frankly if it weren't for the fact that the gun market is not ours to corner, that alone would be a pretty fine ace, and for everything else just reverse engineer something from our past life to even the odds. Be the Batman in the Justice League.

But everyone else seems to be powered up to the point where that's a fruitless endeavor. Which is kind of disappointing.

Hymn of Ragnarok said:
As far as I'm concerned?
I want it all.
Jiraiya can do it, I don't intend to accept any less from us.
This is a universe where anyone great at their job is a combat monster as well; Orochimaru is a combat scientist, Tsunade is a combat medic, and Jiraiya is a combat womaniser
:p

And I will point out that we have drawn the attention of at least one S-class combat monster, and will undoubtedly trip over several more.
The ability to kick their teeth in is something we do need to acquire.
Especially given that Ino has displayed a penchant for showiness, not discretion.
nightblade said:
*Am I the only one who blames him for everything that happened in Naruto canon?
Danzo is the Root of all evil.

Hymn of Ragnarok said:
Ninja don't get to specialize; we may have a preference, but needs must.
And we are talented enough to take any of those roles, as will be clear by the time we finish this exam.

And frankly, I LIKE playing battlemage, else I wouldn't be in a Naruto Quest.

Not that there's a choice there; I mean Ino is the girl who chose to display her infiltration skill to the whole of an exam room when she could have slipped away with noone the wiser.
If you don't expect her to get into major knockdown dragout fights, I have a bridge to sell you.

Danzo gets his mind set from him. So nope still his fault. I also think we should avoid fighting if we don't need to.

Hymn of Ragnarok said:
Suigetsu. Going by the sentiment directed his way with Ami, we'd have used it on him in the ring out of spite.

Honestly, us being pants at combat to balance us being so awesome off of it would be a fair trade. Yes, there will likely be some people who just straight up overpower us.

Well, we ultimately tower over people in a lot of other fields, so fair's fair. Lupino does not have to be awesome to super-duper-awesome at everything. Our general weakness in a number of areas has actually been offsetting our hypercompetency rather nicely, as far as narrative satisfaction goes.

No, we shouldn't be so weak even chunin or standard jounin utterly chump us, but us hitting below our expected weight class compared to other S-Ranks, especially the combat monsters, would be fine.

Frankly if it weren't for the fact that the gun market is not ours to corner, that alone would be a pretty fine ace, and for everything else just reverse engineer something from our past life to even the odds. Be the Batman in the Justice League.

But everyone else seems to be powered up to the point where that's a fruitless endeavor. Which is kind of disappointing.
Were pants at fighting using ninjutsu and taijutsu cause we really haven't focused on it.

FurikoMaru said:
The difference there is, Tobirama was good at it.
Everything with Madara is his fault beyond Hashirama not letting him kill him. He also killed Izuna. The Uchiha situation was also his fault as well. The only thing I can't really pin on him is the wars. So no he was not. He was also a massive bigot. Truth be told I plain don't like him.

And speaking of weakness, we are honestly a better character for it right now. We've had to be innovative to grow around our limitations and triumph via guile instead of overpowering force. Like that custom chakra scroll.

I very much doubt we'd have hit on that if we hadn't needed to think of a way to overcome our limitations.

Plus our general sneaky tactics with Tenten. And soon enough, Yamanaka jutsu. Subtlety.

That's a lot more fun to play as. Necessity is the mother of invention and it'd be a lot more fun to repurpose what we have instead of start grinding combat jutsu.

uju32 said:
As far as I'm concerned?
I want it all.
Jiraiya can do it, I don't intend to accept any less from us.
This is a universe where anyone great at their job is a combat monster as well; Orochimaru is a combat scientist, Tsunade is a combat medic, and Jiraiya is a combat womaniser

Our flaws are pretty much the only thing keeping us from being a straight up Mary Sue y'know.

And I will point out that we have drawn the attention of at least one S-class combat monster, and will undoubtedly trip over several more.
The ability to kick their teeth in is something we do need to acquire.

Or the ingenuity to do it with cleverness instead of combat prowess, or get someone else to do it for her.

Ninja don't get to specialize; we may have a preference, but needs must.

Ino's idol is a kunoichi that spent pretty much her entire career undercover.

And we are talented enough to take any of those roles, as will be clear by the time we finish this exam.

And frankly, I LIKE playing battlemage, else I wouldn't be in a Naruto Quest.

Not that there's a choice there; I mean Ino is the girl who chose to display her infiltration skill to the whole of an exam room when she could have slipped away with noone the wiser.

If you don't expect her to get into major knockdown dragout fights, I have a bridge to sell you.

Again, get someone else to do it, or find clever ways to win or just avoid fights to begin with.

Have you counted the number of legit fights in this story? It's vanishingly small for something that came from shounen, and is explicitly pretty much seinin now.

Conflict avoidance seems pretty damn viable. If we're clever, yeah, we probably could get by pretty good. Or again, get other people to do this shit for us while focus on other stuff.

If our only recourse is a straight fight, we have done something terribly wrong.

And this world is actually NICE! Hell the Rain trio actually won here, we haven't gotten a hint of any of the usual villains!

And I will point out that infiltrator does not preclude combat duty.

Mu, the Second Tsuchikage, was famous for two techniques: Dust Release and Hiding With Camoflage, which was so good even sensors couldn't find him.
Rinnegan users are fantastic at interrogation.
So are Mangy Eye using Uchiha.
Zetsu could infiltrate his way into major encampments and kill people, or could impersonate them so well you wouldn't know the difference; his infiltration skill was good enough that S-class nin would overlook him.
Kisame could vanish into his sword and thus spy on anyone else carrying it.
Sage Naruto is a sensor, as is his Kyuubi Chakra Mode.

Very few ninja of note are one trick ponies.

FurikoMaru said:
I think Madara is Madara's fault, personally. :p
Actually Madara was doing fine until he heard Tobimaru talking to Hashirama about how he was going to win the election. Madara also called it on what was going to happen once Tobimaru become hokage.

Also Hymn if we have to have others fight for cause we can't then were going to be the weak link and that is going to get us killed.

uju32 said:
Very few ninja of note are one trick ponies.

That's also canon where combat is the main selling point. Shounen and all.

We honestly haven't seen much combat here. Yeah, sure, we should be able to fight, but we shouldn't be hitting in the levels like Gaante or the other absurd jinks Furiko has mentioned.

So we can't match them in combat ability. Fine. Do other things we're good at. It's not like combat is the bread and butter of this Quest. I can think of five fights we had off the top of my head. Sasuke as a kid, Sorato, wedding crashers (and we didn't even need to make choices for that beyond POV), Tenten. Everything else has been roleplaying and interacting.

Not the end of the world.

nightblade said:
Also Hymn if we have to have others fight for cause we can't then were going to be the weak link and that is going to get us killed.

Does not =/ cannot run away.

We're an escape savant. We'd be fine. We can find way to contribute besides direct combat. Support genjutsu, for instance.

nightblade said:
Actually Madara was doing fine until he heard Tobimaru talking to Hashirama about how he was going to win the election. Madara also called it on what was going to happen once he Tobimaru become hokage.
I don't know how you've failed to notice this, but the Uchiha are a bunch of assholes. Every single cameo or long-running role an Uchiha has had in the story has been about how emotionally maladjusted they are. Sympathetic assholes? Absolutely, to a greater or lesser extent. Probably confined simply to the ones with the higher-end emotion-based superpowers? Probably. But assholes. Above and beyond standard shounen this-guy-is-a-dick-but-he's-apparently-a-'good'-guy-now-thanks-Toriyama crap.

And that's how I like 'em; love those fucked up little clanderes.

Tobirama tried to seinen-hack a shounen series, which, considering the content of this quest, you can probably guess how I feel about.

FurikoMaru said:
I don't know how you've failed to notice this, but the Uchiha are a bunch of assholes. Every single cameo or long-running role an Uchiha has had in the story has been about how emotionally maladjusted they are. Sympathetic assholes? Absolutely, to a greater or lesser extent. Probably confined simply to the ones with the higher-end emotion-based superpowers? Probably. But assholes. Above and beyond standard shounen this-guy-is-a-dick-but-he's-apparently-a-'good'-guy-now-thanks-Toriyama crap.

And that's how I like 'em; love those fucked up little clanderes.

Tobirama tried to seinen-hack a shounen series, which, considering the content of this quest, you can probably guess how I feel about.
Still doesn't change it that the whole Uchiha situation is still his fault cause he pretty much made them outcasts. The uchiha may have been dicks but that still doesn't justify him treating them the way he did. The guy was a major bigot.

Hymn of Ragnarok said:
That's also canon where combat is the main selling point. Shounen and all.

We honestly haven't seen much combat here. Yeah, sure, we should be able to fight, but we shouldn't be hitting in the levels like Gaante or the other absurd jinks Furiko has mentioned.

So we can't match them in combat ability. Fine. Do other things we're good at. It's not like combat is the bread and butter of this Quest. I can think of five fights we had off the top of my head. Sasuke as a kid, Sorato, wedding crashers (and we didn't even need to make choices for that beyond POV), Tenten. Everything else has been roleplaying and interacting.

Not the end of the world.

Does not =/ cannot run away.

We're an escape savant. We'd be fine. We can find way to contribute besides direct combat. Support genjutsu, for instance.
I'm going to have disagree with you.

nightblade said:
Still doesn't change it that the whole Uchiha situation is still his fault cause he pretty much made them outcasts. The uchiha may have been dicks but that still justify him treating them the way he did. The guy was a major bigot.
He's a ninja! Not everyone has the luxury of being Naruto, dude.

FurikoMaru said:
He's a ninja! Not everyone has the luxury of being Naruto, dude.
He did it on purpose hoping that someone like Madara would pop up so he could crush them. Very few ninja in Naruto would do that. Heck he even knew that the Uchiha loved to much and still hoped for that to happen.

nightblade said:
He did it on purpose hoping that someone like Madara would pop up so he could crush them. Very few ninja in Naruto would do that. Heck he even knew that the Uchiha loved to much and still hoped for that to happen.
Everything you say about him just makes me like him more. :)) 's like all the hate TTGL fans pour on Rossiu.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back