• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

Cosmos Quest (Naruto/Lupin III)

FurikoMaru said:
Could be worse. Compare the colours for the first princess on the list to his. 8)

Fuck if I can deduce that accurately. Orochimaru in a female body I guess?

Not necessarily. I mean, what do you do with a clan full of pyromaniac yandere and yangire on the weekends? Sit around and play rummoli? Hell no, you inflict them on the nearest convenient target so they don't get bored and start setting fire to each other. 's just common sense in a Warring Clan Era.

Fair point.

And now that hunter has pointed out how Ino interprets the supernatural by listening....yeah, okay, I'll bite. If Ino's got an affinity for audio interpretation like that, let's see where this goes. I assume Koto is to inspire us to play better, sage tale has some story that Ami will probably love and Mom wants to share with us, and Listener is another Ino-centric choice.

[X] Washi the Listener

Last edited by a moderator:
[X] An adaptation of a sage tale that Mom remembers loving as a child

EDIT: We should perform some experiments with our sensing ability. Mainly to determine the speed of chakra waves we hear.

Good luck with that one Yog, cause it ain't happening with any degree of usefulness. Ino's range is incredibly narrow right now, and she essentially pick up on these chakra waves via her brain. So her brain is essentially trying to process and interpret a sixth sense through a one of the pre-existing sixth senses. Seeing as the range we have is a matter of feet, there is pretty much no way Ino could even click a stopwatch fast enough for any useful data to be gathered. Especially since it seems close to instantaneous from Ino's perspective.

Approaching this from a scientific perspective, we'd probably need to be talking about miles of range before we could get anything useful. Also, it would mean coordinating a team of people stepping into our range, synchronized clocks of time keeping systems accurate to an extremely precise amount, et cetera.

Also, while I do appreciate approaching problems logically, I have no particular desire to fuck around in this Quest trying to define metaphysics. I've done it for my own stories and it can be a cast iron bitch to keep the story consistent to sufficient satisfaction and rigor while keeping a good story going. Giving how this is a 'For fun,' Quest, I'd rather we not try to break the setting and instead enjoy stuff as it comes. Take it easy, so Furiko doesn't have to work to fit everything together.

Or worse, adhere to what the players come up with in an attempt to break the setting and achieve ultimate POWAH. No thanks, not in the mood myself.

So, so unrelated side note, sorry. but is SB down for everyone else too?

Oh and [X] Washi the Listener

Hymn of Ragnarok said:
Good luck with that one Yog, cause it ain't happening with any degree of usefulness. Ino's range is incredibly narrow right now, and she essentially pick up on these chakra waves via her brain. So her brain is essentially trying to process and interpret a sixth sense through a one of the pre-existing sixth senses. Seeing as the range we have is a matter of feet, there is pretty much no way Ino could even click a stopwatch fast enough for any useful data to be gathered. Especially since it seems close to instantaneous from Ino's perspective.

Approaching this from a scientific perspective, we'd probably need to be talking about miles of range before we could get anything useful. Also, it would mean coordinating a team of people stepping into our range, synchronized clocks of time keeping systems accurate to an extremely precise amount, et cetera.

Also, while I do appreciate approaching problems logically, I have no particular desire to fuck around in this Quest trying to define metaphysics. I've done it for my own stories and it can be a cast iron bitch to keep the story consistent to sufficient satisfaction and rigor while keeping a good story going. Giving how this is a 'For fun,' Quest, I'd rather we not try to break the setting and instead enjoy stuff as it comes. Take it easy, so Furiko doesn't have to work to fit everything together.

Or worse, adhere to what the players come up with in an attempt to break the setting and achieve ultimate POWAH. No thanks, not in the mood myself.
Long distances? no one actually measures wave speeds with long distances! Here (http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_can_you_measure_the_speed_of_sound), look at how it is done.

If there are no materials that would reflect chakra pulses (possible, though very unlikely, as at least Earth seems to be non-transparent for chakra sight), you could at least estimate the speed by using doppler effect. Basically, have someone shunshin away from you (having measured the speed of shunshin previously) and note the change in the sound. If there is any change in the underlying (tenketsu) sound, you can use that to calculate the speed of chakra.

EDIT:
MrGazzer said:
So, so unrelated side note, sorry. but is SB down for everyone else too?

I am not alone! At least now I know that the problem isn't on my side.

Yog said:
Long distances? no one actually measures wave speeds with long distances! Here (http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_can_you_measure_the_speed_of_sound), look at how it is done.

If there are no materials that would reflect chakra pulses (possible, though very unlikely, as at least Earth seems to be non-transparent for chakra sight), you could at least estimate the speed by using doppler effect. Basically, have someone shunshin away from you (having measured the speed of shunshin previously) and note the change in the sound. If there is any change in the underlying (tenketsu) sound, you can use that to calculate the speed of chakra.

*rubs eyes*

Yog, don't. No seriously, just fucking don't. Because even if you get an answer to this experiment, then it raises the question of how it works for the Hyuuga. How does someone like, say, Hinata, manage to see something coming from several kilometers away with degrees of accuracy if chakra moves so slowly that differences can be noted with one of the most basic ninja techniques. Or how chakra can function as a string to manipulate physical objects, so on and so forth.

It's not an internally consistent physical world, and applying the results from one experiment means having to apply them everywhere else. Having to come up with an explanation. And then making the entire story and development process so down just to accommodate it.

I used to enjoy picking apart physics of a story too. Then I started writing my own. And you pretty much need to design the setting from the ground up to be internally consistent to an appreciable degree, and if you're writing fanfiction? Be prepared to choose between adhering to the original setting or go to considerable effort and headaches trying to revamp it.

So just skip all the deconstruction, call it magic or a plot device, and work suspend disbelief. Let the story move along instead of dragging it down. Because we both know you're not going to stop at this one experiment. You want to take the results and use them, and probably end up breaking the setting or finding ways your 'findings' don't mesh with other aspects.

The story isn't real. It's an illusion. A play. Push it too far, and it falls apart. If you can suspend disbelief on human bodies going to absurd speeds without ripping themselves apart, having magic/psychic powers, making constructs inside a mind, making lightning, and having conversations at super-sonic speeds that are still perfectly coherent even when the Doppler effect should distort it into something impossible to understand, then you can suspend disbelief on this.

[X] One that she says concerns the ancestor who founded the Akegami school of koto-playing; she's probably hoping it'll get you more interested in practising.

Because This may give us hints on what we can do with this skill if we improve it further

I don't mind hammering out details, I just don't think the process is interesting to read about. Hell, if you've been paying attention you'll notice I've basically ruled that the Narutoverse is set in an alternate 1950s that somehow has television and crappy busses, but no machine guns; if I were going to make this the kind of story where you could figure a whole whack of shit out, I wouldn't have done that.

In all honesty, I really like to pick things apart and understand how they work, I just seem to have some weird sort of perception-block when it comes to physics and math and time and dates and chemistry (you'll notice I never actually listed what any of the ingredients of the mask formula are) that means I barely know what the fuck I'm looking at half the time. If dyscalculia is the kind of thing you can self-diagnose, I'm pretty sure I have it; it's like the opposite of a notice-me-not charm, so instead of not seeing The Leaky Cauldron or Inuki from X, I can't see normal things like numbers or coopted-letters for what they are unless I concentrate really really hard. It's so difficult that sometimes I prefer to do things by hand, because if I use a calculator I can't remember which steps I've already completed.

The result of that is I can't intelligently or interestingly write about physics or chemistry.

Although, the more you find out Narutoverse natural laws and such, the more facets of Unique Perspective you discover and the closer you get to the BAD(ASS) END, so if you wanna write snippets about Lupino huffing in frustration and saying that everything here is way goofier than she 'remembers', go right ahead, I might even declare some of them canon. Just recall that you'll have to hold in mind the fucked-up physics of both series in order to do it.

Hymn of Ragnarok said:
I assume Koto is to inspire us to play better, sage tale has some story that Ami will probably love and Mom wants to share with us, and Listener is another Ino-centric choice.

You assume incorrectly on two out of three. ;)

What is Washi the Listener anyway? Am I missing a reference?

Yeah, but no worries, no one else has noticed, I don't think.

Well then! At least I'm not alone out in the cold.

Still, koto meh. And adaptations of classics always seem doomed to suck so...

[X] Washi the Listener

Hymn of Ragnarok said:
*rubs eyes*

Yog, don't. No seriously, just fucking don't. Because even if you get an answer to this experiment, then it raises the question of how it works for the Hyuuga. How does someone like, say, Hinata, manage to see something coming from several kilometers away with degrees of accuracy if chakra moves so slowly that differences can be noted with one of the most basic ninja techniques. Or how chakra can function as a string to manipulate physical objects, so on and so forth.
Respectfully, this is very wrong.

First of all, what does shunshin being "basic" (which it isn't) have to do with it? It is fast. Fast enough that fastest ninjas alive may be able to see someone moving in it, but aren't anywhere fast enough to replicate the speed. So let's say that shunshin is about ten times faster than the fastest shinobi alive. I would actually argue that it is about a hundred times faster, but ten times will do as well.

Human ear can differentiate between 440 Hertz and 441 Hertz ( http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/sound/earsens.html )

Now, we have a doppler effect ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doppler_effect )

So f/f0=c/(c+v_s)

f0/f=1+v_s/c

c=v_s/(1-f0/f)

I would say that top level shinobi are comfortably super-sonic. Let's say 500 meters per second as their top speed. Shunshin would than be 5 kilometers per second. Or around that much.

f0/f=440/441

c=441*v_s = 2.205*10^6 meters per second =0.007 speed of light

This is the highest speed that can be accurately measured using this method, which requires nothing but one fast shinobi capable of using shunshin (our father) and a sensor who can hear chakra (us).

Assuming slightly better sensitivity (3.6 hertz pitch resolution in 1 kHz to 2 kHz range http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychoacoustics#Limits_of_perception) we can go as high as 1% speed of light.

So no, being able to measure something doesn't mean it is slow.

I'll also note that the actual frequencies chakra waves have don't matter, only how much they change (relative to each other).

And if we can't measure the speed, then it is higher than 1%c, at which point we can say that they are instantaneous for all intents and purposes on the scale we are likely to operate.

Yog said:
I would say that top level shinobi are comfortably super-sonic.

Why? I see people say this and I never see any compelling reasons given for it. I mean, what purpose does it serve to have them be supersonic? They're just as hugely impressive by real-world standards if they're merely as fast as a jetliner, so why the extra inflation?

[X] A tale of vengeance

... Mom almost certainly didn't know how violent this show was going to be when she purchased these tickets. She hates seeing people use gore for entertainment, and by the intermission there's so much blood on the stage they already have a couple of guys with mops waiting in the wings. She tries to leave, but you and Ami plead with her to let you see how it ends; Ami because she thinks the fight scenes are awesome, you because you sympathize with the hero (even if he's more bloodthirsty than you'd like).

The play concerns the life of Shirasu Washi, the fictional son of a prominent merchant family of Hikari-kyo in the Warring Clan Era, whose father and brothers are framed for treason by a rival house and executed. But all is not as it seems; as Washi quickly discovers when he seeks refuge for himself and his mother and sister with his uncle, his father and elder brother were actually members of a long-standing alliance of shinobi sworn to stand against corruption. They were executed to better facilitate an assassination attempt on the consul of the city, a man who you know from history will later become the first daimyo of Fire Country.

Washi swears revenge against the forces that conspired to wipe out the Shirasu clan, and after undergoing a hilariously brief bit of training under his uncle sets about killing his way across the Elemental Countries.

Finally, after many adventures, he comes face to face with the first daimyo of Lightning, who in the world of the play is not only a ninja but the ultimate architect of all Washi's suffering since the story began, a cruel tyrant on a quest to become ruler of the world, who possesses two artefacts of the Time Before The Sage that could give him dominion over all human life.

... and Washi decides that now's the time to show mercy. When he's faced with the one guy who inarguably deserves to die.

-_- This better be a sequel hook.

One thing about the play catches your eye above all else.

[X] The spring-loaded wrist-mounted knife Washi wears. Unlike practically everything else he does, it's discreet and stylish as hell.

[X] So help you god, if it takes you the rest of your life, you will find a way to steal people's weapons from them while they're trying to use them on you.

[X] The set design! The costuming! Aw, that stylistic decision where all the bad guys are dressed in red or gold to represent what sensing is like for people who don't have it? Awesome!

[X] The special effects! Sure, there was a lot more ninjutsu and kenjutsu thrown around than you think was strictly necessary for a character who's supposed to be from an infiltration-focused clan, but who cares? It looked great!

You decide to

[X] Research this stuff when you get home

[X] Get backstage and talk to the craftsmen who worked on the play; surely they'll have some insight!

----------

If you had chosen either of the other plays, you would have gotten a very helpful heads-up. As it is, you get a shiny. Knowing you guys, that's breaking even.

FurikoMaru said:
Why? I see people say this and I never see any compelling reasons given for it. I mean, what purpose does it serve to have them be supersonic? They're just as hugely impressive by real-world standards if they're merely as fast as a jetliner, so why the extra inflation?
This was the general impression I got from the manga. I could be wrong of course.

[X] So help you god, if it takes you the rest of your life, you will find a way to steal people's weapons from them while they're trying to use them on you.
[X] Get backstage and talk to the craftsmen who worked on the play; surely they'll have some insight!

WOO! COMBAT SWIPE! =3c

Also awwww. =( Paydata lost for cool tricks? That's not a good trade at all....

[X] Research this stuff when you get home

[X] The set design! The costuming! Aw, that stylistic decision where all the bad guys are dressed in red or gold to represent what sensing is like for people who don't have it? Awesome!

There is really only one thing those guys backstage are guaranteed to have any real clue about, and it's not the practical stuff.

Assassin's Creed's plot wasn't so unique that it's difficult to believe the story was invented in the elemental countries without outside influence.

If possible:
[X] The spring-loaded wrist-mounted knife Washi wears. Unlike practically everything else he does, it's discreet and stylish as hell.
-[X] So help you god, if it takes you the rest of your life, you will find a way to steal people's weapons from them while they're trying to use them on you.

If not:

Might as well get what we went with this option for (though the special effect stuff might be useful as well)

X] So help you god, if it takes you the rest of your life, you will find a way to steal people's weapons from them while they're trying to use them on you.

One thing about the play catches your eye above all else.

[1] The spring-loaded wrist-mounted knife Washi wears. Unlike practically everything else he does, it's discreet and stylish as hell.

[5] So help you god, if it takes you the rest of your life, you will find a way to steal people's weapons from them while they're trying to use them on you. +1 if hidden blade is losing.

[2] The set design! The costuming! Aw, that stylistic decision where all the bad guys are dressed in red or gold to represent what sensing is like for people who don't have it? Awesome!

[Null] The special effects! Sure, there was a lot more ninjutsu and kenjutsu thrown around than you think was strictly necessary for a character who's supposed to be from an infiltration-focused clan, but who cares? It looked great!

You decide to

[1] Research this stuff when you get home

[Everyone else] Get backstage and talk to the craftsmen who worked on the play; surely they'll have some insight!

Hee. Everyone's so excited about Thief of Honour. :3

Users who are viewing this thread

Back