• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

Dungeon Crawler Quest(Original Fantasy)

You squint through the Ash at their stat panes, as you would expect the only resistance they show is 100% fire(A), what does the A mean? Well and a 50% weakness to ice.

Does 50% weakness mean ice does +50% damage or that enemy defense against ice is 50% (IE: Ice damage is doubled) or that its defense value is 50% of the norm for Ice so damage-defense becomes damage-.5Xdefense?

yrsillar
My brain is itching to know about the above. :p

EDIT: Updated my vote with using the Fire Job Crystal, so that Alice can get the Fire Magic, but still giving the diminished Crystal back to Sera for Fusion purposes.

If we buy a wind crystal we won't have room for fire, right?

Aren't we able to swap out excess crystals in town without them being consumed/destroyed?
Yeah, but I can't think of a situation where ice/water/wind would fail to get around mob resistance. Maybe if we go Polar Adept or Blizzard Sage we'd have a spot open up? I admit I'm not quite sure how this all works.

Yeah, but I can't think of a situation where ice/water/wind would fail to get around mob resistance. Maybe if we go Polar Adept or Blizzard Sage we'd have a spot open up? I admit I'm not quite sure how this all works.
It's basically because there is no reason not to learn the fire spells unless you plan on selling the crystal, and because right now both Wind and Fire would be at E, except that we believe that the enemies are weak to Fire in Lost Graveyard, so why not use it for this one dungeon.

Also, well, we never know what kind of dungeon we will get- Wailing Cavern, for exemple, is Water/Wind (and Crystal Lake is Water/Ice)... It doesn't seem like it has Ice resistence, but maybe higher level do.

We should look up wind/fire fusions. We were planning to find water and ice, so we can have two fused jobs and consolidate our skills!

Well technically Alice doesn't know that.... but yeah, weakness to Ice 50% means enemies take damage equal to Damage x 1.5 from Ice. As for having extra skills, if you unequip a skill it goes into the as yet unused on your character sheet 'spare skills' pile.

So, picking up my Spade, It's interesting that this is the first time we get a number on XP granted by a bonus boss: 116*5-420= 160. Given that we only got 9JP, we can say that if the D-rank dungeon gives as much JP as the E-rank one (which is not true for Wailing Cavern, which we did with 5 people and got 12JP), the Bonus Boss gives us 9*5-12*3= 9JP.

yrsillar, are you sure about those maths? Seems a bit weird Ashen Grotto would not only not give more JP on D-rank (Total) than on E-rank, but would have a bonus boss that only gives 9JP....

If anything the 12 JP for wailing cavern E would be wrong without the bonus boss. Wailing Cavern E should only give... 4JP on a five man run if the Kraken doesn't activate.

Yeah, you guys have never hit the cavern and had the bonus NOT activate.

If anything the 12 JP for wailing cavern E would be wrong without the bonus boss. Wailing Cavern E should only give... 4JP on a five man run if the Kraken doesn't activate.
No, I am comparing it to a 5-man run of Wailing cavern D-rank.for the 12JP comparison, as it's the run i saw a very big difference between E and D rank (both with Bonus Boss, but the E rank with only 4 people).

I've rechecked the math, it's actually the E rank that's incorrect. Shouldn't have been twelve JP without the bonus, bit too late to go back and change without messing with things now. Should have been eight

Does taming skill work on boss monsters if there are beasts themselves?

Yep. That was my statement. Basically in game terms designated bosses and bonus bosses have a 'tag' that renders them untameable at E rank.

The same tag that gives them a flat boosted resistance to all status effects, because Fuck you Imma Boss

Last edited:
Yeah, but I can't think of a situation where ice/water/wind would fail to get around mob resistance.
Its not just about failing to get around resistance but hitting them where they are weak.
Undead are resistant to ice and our water spells are ineffective against them
wind might do 100% damage to them, but fire deals EXTRA damage to undead. If we know we are going into an undead dungeon, why not swap in a fire and then swap it back out afterwards?

You mean BAWS...

Its not just about failing to get around resistance but hitting them where they are weak.
Undead are resistant to ice and our water spells are ineffective against them
wind might do 100% damage to them, but fire deals EXTRA damage to undead. If we know we are going into an undead dungeon, why not swap in a fire and then swap it back out afterwards?
Eh, I don't remember about the Water is ineffective to undead. Unless you specifically meant the drowning effect, that does not come into play, since the Aqua Prison feels a bit too short to actually cause air loss. Even Alice didn't actually get HP damage from being caught in one before, I think. EDIT: Myth-BUSTED! Disproven by mrttao below.

I have been swayed to use Fire, but mostly it was because Alice's Magician's Blood improves all magic, and thus I am planning to try and get Alice all types of magic.

Last edited:
Eh, I don't remember about the Water is ineffective to undead. Unless you specifically meant the drowning effect, that does not come into play, since the Aqua Prison feels a bit too short to actually cause air loss. Even Alice didn't actually get HP damage from being caught in one before, I think.
I did mean drowning, also the knockback and stun effects of wave crush. Our 3rd and last water spell is acid arrow which probably deals normal damage to undead (which isn't as good as extra damage)
And IIRC alice DID take HP damage from "drowning" when she was held in an aqua prison. it was ongoin HP damage that our cleric healed

EDIT: Found it. drowning deals HP damage
Then you are engulfed in a sphere of water, and crap, you can't breath. You struggle, trying to swim your way out, but the currents in the orb force you back to the center, even as your health begins to tick down. Well what do you know, looks like branded can still drown.

You feel of flash of heat as Sera tries to sear the prison away, and while it shrinks, that doesn't do the trick. Anshelm is still fighting as best he can, and Maya is carving bloody chunks from both flesh and health bar. Sera for her part is yelling something, and continues to try and free you. You feel Shimah's healing wash over you, so at least you won't die… but you do get to enjoy the feeling of drowning for longer… great.

PS. also of note (from same post) is that water and fire cancel each other out. So stacking double fire would be good too

I did mean drowning, also the knockback and stun effects of wave crush. Our 3rd and last water spell is acid arrow which probably deals normal damage to undead (which isn't as good as extra damage)
And IIRC alice DID take HP damage from "drowning" when she was held in an aqua prison. it was ongoin HP damage that our cleric healed

EDIT: Found it. drowning deals HP damage

PS. also of note (from same post) is that water and fire cancel each other out. So stacking double fire would be good too
Huh, that actually happened. Aqua Prison just got awesome-r for me. :D

+coughs+
Anyway, I guess the effect of the Drown status (if it is considered a Status effect) would not affect a number of enemy types, mostly those that have no need to breathe or can actually breathe in water.

On the other hand, you have to also consider the possible bonuses to Water Magic from Undine Race Mod (it has penalty to Fire), Magician's Blood Skill (this actually benefit Fire as well), Water Elementalist Job (if equipped), Gear bonuses (Bawws' Stick, Shawl of Naiad, Crystal Lord's Robes).

Regarding Aqua Prison bursting earlier from damage by Fire, Freeze and Burn also cancel each other, but Sera and Alice can make do so far.

Note, not disparaging Fire, but one should also notice that our current load-out for Alice gives alot of bonuses for Water.

On the other hand, you have to also consider the possible bonuses to Water Magic from Undine Race Mod (it has penalty to Fire), Magician's Blood Skill (this actually benefit Fire as well), Water Elementalist Job (if equipped), Gear bonuses (Bawws' Stick, Shawl of Naiad, Crystal Lord's Robes).
You are right, furthermore fire magic starts out without an AoE... so acid arrow might actually work better on undead for us than fire magic at the moment due to the heavily specialization we got in water from race and items and the penalties to fire.

Regarding Aqua Prison bursting earlier from damage by Fire
I actually mean that aqua prison protects the person inside from fire. remember sera blasted us with fire and it just reduced the prison without burning us.

Freeze and Burn also cancel each other, but Sera and Alice can make do so far
I agree that we were able to handle it thus far, (although it has been a problem vs bosses), just thinking of a way to optimize
Then again, shima wants to get shaman which includes an ability to make your curse make opposing status effects stack, so we would actually be able to both water/ice and fire the bosses simultanously when she gets that

Ah, we're not going to be hurt by our allies' attack, I think.

It was shown in the first fight by how Alice remarked that Anshelm is unharmed even when he was in the way of her Frost Spray.

Just a detail, but Less undine gives bonus to Power too, so it cancels out.

Of course, if you are talking about Water/vs Fire against the enemies, it come down to Waterbeing a Control/Damage element so far, while Fire is a Damage/DoT element, so I expect the latter to be better for those kind of things.

Ehh... not very many votes, but I guess that makes sense given the sorta locked events. So... looks like gross toads vote wins 2v1.

I'll vote if more participants makes you feel better

[X] Grosstoad

Ah damn, seems like things will be a much harder sell tomorrow. Oh well, better prepare a post then.

Since yrsiller is worrying about reader participation I suppose I should say I actually enjoy this more then Dreamer. Not sure exactly why. It seems... cleaner? The cuteness factor between the characters helps as well.

The downside is that often the votes are pretty clear cut. We do this dungeon then that dungeon. Then go home and sleep. Because we set our path as 'Mage' at the start there is also less noise over our growth. We're going to be a cold based mage because that is what we picked. Or we could branch out... but Sera is already there so why bother?

And thus the lurkers are content to lurk and simply enjoy the quest.

Edited in a line regarding sounding out Maya on attempting Lost Graveyard tomorrow, as per request of Arkeus.

TdYlqx2.jpg

Oh, alright. I'll vote.

[X] Grosstoad

Users who are viewing this thread

Back