• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

Elder Tale: American Server {Quest}

[X] Check your inventory for healing items.

[X]Open Item Menu pull out Potion or Healing Item. Assuming you don't know healing magic Of Course.

[X] Check your inventory for healing items. Assuming you don't have heal spells.

[X] Check your inventory for healing items. Assuming you don't have healing spells.

[X] Check your inventory for healing items. Assuming you don't have healing spells.

[X] potion time, make him chug like its a drinking game!

also, aren't we in a city? why are there monsters in the city?

or is only half the city actually in the safezone, and the rest of it is a different zone? (ruins, ect)

Well, it's saturday again.

Which means Log Horizon 7 came out. Go and watch it. It's a good episode. I promise.

Your first reaction is panic.

Monsters? Different worlds? Body alteration on a scale that fucking terrifies you if you dwell on it too long?

At least those are abstract. And not immediately life threatening.

This is a person. An old man bleeding out.

And you have no idea how to treat it.

Naturally that damned menu has to clutter up your field of view so you can't get a proper look at it anymore too, with your potion tab just-

Oh.

Maybe...

A few taps conjures a clear bottle filled with a dark red fluid. Bloodroot, Crimleafs, and some Hemospice. The sample you're holding is mid-tier. Good for 2000 HP. You have no real idea what that translates to, but hopefully...

The first sip the man drinks, he nearly coughs back up. The second goes as much down his chin as down his throat. The third still spills, but at least he's drinking it properly.

Finally, the bottle has been drained. And stained as much of his shirt as the blood.

Carefully, you peel away his layers. New pink skin, damp with sweat, meets your eyes.

Well, that's one crisis averted.

The old man mumbles a quiet thank you.

And then passes out.

You panic for a second, but this time you think to check his pulse.

Just unconscious. Thank God.

Except, you can't just leave him here.

The wind howls again, this time sounding less like a monster's cry, and more like the whistle of air rushing between buildings.

With his wet clothes, on top of being about twice your current size, he'd be really heavy. And in this weather, those wet clothes will let the cold get to him like a knife. And with the sky darkening...

You might not reach the actual town part of Duluth before nightfall. And those clouds do not look friendly.

[ ] Shelter in the 'city' with the old man. (Roll Required)
- [ ] Describe what you're looking for in your shelter location, for a bonus.

[ ] Throw him over your shoulder and make a break for the safe zone. (Roll Required)

As an aside note, think of Elder Tale Duluth as a sort of big bowl. At the bottom of the bowl, is the city harbor, and the Safe Zone where the actual town is. The rest of the city is an abandoned, monster infested ruin. There's a few roads that go in and out of the city that are relatively safe.

You are nowhere near any of them.

[X] Shelter in the 'city' with the old man. (Roll Required)
we are in the ruins of a city? or just an abandoned one?

-[X]look for a mostly standing building, four walls would be best, three will do in a pinch, so long as its not missing the windfacing wall, a roof, (or some cover) to keep the snow out, and no monsters inside.

basically, the more enclosed, the better, second story if it looks stable, first if not, try and get a small fire going if you think it won't spread and burn your shelter down.

Am i totally misunderstanding where we are? i don't see why this would require a write-in. "something enclosed enough to keep the wind/snow out" is common sense, right?

Quick, do we have spare armor/loot in our inventory?

If we can, we should get the old man covered up in something warm and protective.

If nothing else, vendor trash like 'Wolf Pelts' suddenly became way more functional.

iamnuff said:
[X] Shelter in the 'city' with the old man. (Roll Required)
we are in the ruins of a city? or just an abandoned one?

Most of the city is an abandoned ruin. The only inhabited bit is down on the waterfront.

Am i totally misunderstanding where we are? i don't see why this would require a write-in. "something enclosed enough to keep the wind/snow out" is common sense, right?

Because I want to encourage critical thinking.

I could have just written 'Hole Up', but then people would have just voted 'Hole Up'.

Maybe some thought, maybe some debating.

At least this way, you're thinking and discussing more.

If nothing else, vendor trash like 'Wolf Pelts' suddenly became way more functional.

And this is what I'm talking about. I want to see sparks firing in brains, and people going 'OK, we're in a post apocalyptic Duluth, in winter. Maybe we can find find a historic building and break in'.

'Can we set up a fire indoors?'

'What about the smoke?'

Thinking and discussion. It's what I want to see.

[X] Check your inventory for something to wrap the old man in. Vendor trash, crafting materials, crappy armor drops- It doesn't really matter, so long as it's not soaked in rapidly cooling blood and molten snow.
-->[X] Take off the old man's sodden clothing and wrap him up in your impromptu 'Blankets'. Carry him to some shelter- Preferrably, an intact but relatively small house.
-->[X] Is there someplace to start a fire? A stove, firepit, whatever. More importantly, do you have something available to burn- Busted furniture, intact furniture, deadfall, vendor trash? And finally, can you use your pyromancy to light a flame?
-->[X] Try to avoid burning your shelter down if at all possible. You've heard that setting a man on fire will leave him warm for the rest of his life, but that's not exactly a good thing.

[X] Check your inventory for something to wrap the old man in. Vendor trash, crafting materials, crappy armor drops- It doesn't really matter, so long as it's not soaked in rapidly cooling blood and molten snow.
-->[X] Take off the old man's sodden clothing and wrap him up in your impromptu 'Blankets'. Carry him to some shelter- Preferrably, an intact but relatively small house.
-->[X] Is there someplace to start a fire? A stove, firepit, whatever. More importantly, do you have something available to burn- Busted furniture, intact furniture, deadfall, vendor trash? And finally, can you use your pyromancy to light a flame?
-->[X] Try to avoid burning your shelter down if at all possible. You've heard that setting a man on fire will leave him warm for the rest of his life, but that's not exactly a good thing.

Vindictus said:
Check your inventory for something to wrap the old man in. Vendor trash, crafting materials, crappy armor drops- It doesn't really matter, so long as it's not soaked in rapidly cooling blood and molten snow.
Take off the old man's sodden clothing and wrap him up in your impromptu 'Blankets'. Carry him to some shelter- Preferrably, an intact but relatively small house.
Is there someplace to start a fire? A stove, firepit, whatever. More importantly, do you have something available to burn- Busted furniture, intact furniture, deadfall, vendor trash? And finally, can you use your pyromancy to light a flame?
Try to avoid burning your shelter down if at all possible. You've heard that setting a man on fire will leave him warm for the rest of his life, but that's not exactly a good thing.

wait, you want to strip the dude BEFORE we get out of the snowstorm?

really?

throw a cloak over him if we have one, then drag him to a mostly standing building, everything else can wait until we arrive.

iamnuff said:
wait, you want to strip the dude BEFORE we get out of the snowstorm?

really?

throw a cloak over him if we have one, then drag him to a mostly standing building, everything else can wait until we arrive.

You want to leave a man soaked to the bone during a snowstorm?

Your assumption that we'll be able to get to shelter before he dies from exposure is not necessarily correct- And the minute or two it takes to strip someone and wrap them in something dry is better then the at least five minutes to shift him to a house that's relatively nearby, even- ESPECIALLY!- as once we get him there, we're going to have to strip the sodden, freezing clothes from what will probably be his dead body at that point anyway.

Getting him in something DRY and WARM is the first step. It's snow, not rain, so unless he randomly starts bleeding out of wounds he no longer has, the fresh cloth/furs/whatever will stay dry.

Now, if this was a rainstorm, or sleet? That'd be a whole different story. But it's not.

Vindictus said:
You want to leave a man soaked to the bone during a snowstorm?

Your assumption that we'll be able to get to shelter before he dies from exposure is not necessarily correct- And the minute or two it takes to strip someone and wrap them in something dry is better then the at least five minutes to shift him to a house that's relatively nearby, even- ESPECIALLY!- as once we get him there, we're going to have to strip the sodden, freezing clothes from what will probably be his dead body at that point anyway.

Getting him in something DRY and WARM is the first step. It's snow, not rain, so unless he randomly starts bleeding out of wounds he no longer has, the fresh cloth/furs/whatever will stay dry.

Now, if this was a rainstorm, or sleet? That'd be a whole different story. But it's not.

You really think that taking his clothes off and fully exposing him to the elements is going to make him freeze to death slower than being in damp clothes?

listen, damp clothes are bad in a snowstorm, because the water freezes on you, and you end up with bits of ice touching your skin.

what do you think will happen if we strip his shirt off in the middle of the blizzard? do you think the snow will magically avoid him because of nudity powers?

don't get me wrong, being dry is great, but not having your bare torso covered in ice and snow is better.

In the end it comes down to which is more likely to kill him, ice in his shirt, or ice on his skin.

iamnuff said:
You really think that taking his clothes off and fully exposing him to the elements is going to make him freeze to death slower than being in damp clothes?

listen, damp clothes are bad in a snowstorm, because the water freezes on you, and you end up with bits of ice touching your skin.

what do you think will happen if we strip his shirt off in the middle of the blizzard? do you think the snow will magically avoid him because of nudity powers?

don't get me wrong, being dry is great, but not having your bare torso covered in ice and snow is better.

In the end it comes down to which is more likely to kill him, ice in his shirt, or ice on his skin.
Except that it's not snowing, so he's not going to be wet anymore after we strip him.

Also, the issue is not ice in your cloths or on your skin, but that water is a far more heat conductive than air.
Standing naked in the cold is better than wearing wet cloths, because you lose far more heat to the wet cloths than you do to the air.

Pipeman said:
Except that it's not snowing, so he's not going to be wet anymore after we strip him.

Also, the issue is not ice in your cloths or on your skin, but that water is a far more heat conductive than air.
Standing naked in the cold is better than wearing wet cloths, because you lose far more heat to the wet cloths than you do to the air.

really? because I've stood in the snow in wet clothes (ugh, fell in the only non-frozen puddle in 5 miles), and I'd still say its better than being shirtless. wet clothes sap your heat, but so does cold wind on your bare skin

that said, I thought we were in the middle of a snowstorm? how is it not snowing? did it stop, or was it never snowing to begin with?

if its just "snow on the ground" then this is a hell of a lot less dangerous than I assumed it was.

still think we should get to shelter before we try and convince this NPC guy to get naked though.

iamnuff said:
really? because I've stood in the snow in wet clothes (ugh, fell in the only non-frozen puddle in 5 miles), and I'd still say its better than being shirtless. wet clothes sap your heat, but so does cold wind on your bare skin

that said, I thought we were in the middle of a snowstorm? how is it not snowing? did it stop, or was it never snowing to begin with?

if its just "snow on the ground" then this is a hell of a lot less dangerous than I assumed it was.

still think we should get to shelter before we try and convince this NPC guy to get naked though.
Don't really know about how either feels, but it's fact that you are better off naked than in wet clothes.
Says so in pretty much every surival guide and matches what physics suggests.
It of course also says that the most preferable is to get people into clothes that are not wet or, if actual clothes are unavailable, at least somehow covered.
Luckily that's what we're planning to do anyways.

Regarding the weather, I don't think any update ever said it was snowing or storming, only that there was snow around.
Personally, I've taken that to mean that it is currently not snowing, since not mentioning it's snowing in a place like this is in my mind equivalent to not mentioning it's raining somewhere else and therefor only to be done when it's not actually happening.

Also, considering that we have no idea where to find shelter and that it will likely be pretty crappy, chances really are that he will die before we find anything, which means we kind of need to do something first.
Upon some consideration, we may want to consider trying to create a fire and sustaining it with pure mana while we change his clothes.

Pipeman said:
Don't really know about how either feels, but it's fact that you are better off naked than in wet clothes.
Says so in pretty much every surival guide and matches what physics suggests.
It of course also says that the most preferable is to get people into clothes that are not wet or, if actual clothes are unavailable, at least somehow covered.
Luckily that's what we're planning to do anyways.

Regarding the weather, I don't think any update ever said it was snowing or storming, only that there was snow around.
Personally, I've taken that to mean that it is currently not snowing, since not mentioning it's snowing in a place like this is in my mind equivalent to not mentioning it's raining somewhere else and therefor only to be done when it's not actually happening.

Also, considering that we have no idea where to find shelter and that it will likely be pretty crappy, chances really are that he will die before we find anything, which means we kind of need to do something first.
Upon some consideration, we may want to consider trying to create a fire and sustaining it with pure mana while we change his clothes.

ok seriously, you want to start a fire to try and warm him up, but you don't want to find shelter first?

we are in an abandoned city, finding something with a couple of walls still standing to keep the wind off is going to take about a minute, tops.

THEN we change clothes/start fire.

theres no point starting a fire out here in the open, thats not going to do jack shit, assuming we can even light a fire with magic alone, and keep it from going out in the snow, the heat is going to be totally wasted in such an open area.

first shelter, then dry clothes (assuming we even have any in our inventory, we don't want to strip the poor guy then find out we have nothing but beaver spleens or something) then fire to warm him (and us) up.

you can talk about survival guides as much as you like, but Rule number 1, is find shelter.

that's ALWAYS rule one, whether you are in the middle of Antarctica, the jungle, or the bloody Sahara desert.

get out of the wind/cold/sun/ect before it kills you, then deal with everything else.

now, you DO have a point, if we fished him out of the lake or something, sure, getting rid of the soaked clothes would be a massive deal, literally a do or die decision, but at the moment, he's got (warm, but quickly cooling) blood, and spilt potion on his shirt.

that's not anywhere near enough to warrant removing his shirt in a below freezing environment.

It's that time of week again.

When the new Log Horizon episode comes out, and I'm feeling pretty inspired.

1d100+30=122

Also, you guys got a really good roll.

As you heave the man over your shoulder, you're surprised by how light he is more than anything else.

You've had to heave your brother's heavy ass around before when-

You push the thought away.

For now, you need to get out of this storm.

How fortunate that the mob created a door using your body.

After you pick your way through the rubble, you come to a door. In the game, it'd just be a painted on texture. Something to see if someone looked in the window. Here, the knob turns, and there's entire room on the other side.

Everything's covered in dust. There's some old papers written in the game's script, but you don't focus on those. You lock onto the fireplace in the wall, complete with an iron potbelly stove with a sort of glee. Heat and smoke containment. Excellent.

But first, you need to take care of this guy.

It's more than a little awkward, to say the least. There's lots of strange loops and belts, which do nothing to assist with keeping the clothes on, but seem to catch on other enough to make taking them off a limp body annoying. Once the deed is done, you have a half dressed old man. Who looks surprisingly fit, actually.

White bristles make up a pointed beard, while the rest of his hair is just as pale.

Of course, given how white his skin looks, you should do something quick before he freezes to death.

Flicking through your inventory, you find a stack of White Wolf Pelts.

White Wolves are pretty easy to solo at your level, so while you were traveling here, you picked up a bunch of the drops and then never got around to selling them. Bad for your wallet, good for this guy.

A tap deposits a lump of fur the size of a couch in front of you.

... Alright, you only meant to call out one or two, but this is fine too.

Using a couple, you wipe off the sweat, blood, and various other liquids you won't think too hard about on the old man's body.

Afterward, he's not necessarily clean, but at least he's dry. After piling a few dozen pelts on the floor, your roll the man onto the makeshift bed and cover him up with more.

Your attention turns back to the stove.

The dull black metal does nothing in response, being entirely incapable of gleaming in the limited light you have.

... How are you seeing, anyway?

A question for another time.

Paging through your inventory again, you find some Petrified Oak Branches, from some tree mobs further south. God, getting up here was fun. Now, you're not a survivalist or anything, but your know how to make a fire. These'll make some fine tinder, and you have a few logs to serve as fuel.

Carefully, you arrange them in the stove, until all that's left is to light them.

Mentally, you work through your spells.

Most of them could start a fire.

A lot of them could burn down the building you were in.

There was a lot of overlap between those two categories.

Eventually, you settle for 'Lava Drop'. Basically, Baby's First Fireball.

You reach forward, settling your fingers where you want the flames to start, prepare to go to the menu and then-

A familiar heat dances on the tip of your finger.

You've never felt it before, but it's like settling into an old groove on a well worn couch.

Then the fire starts, and you pull your hand out of the stove before it'll get burned.

What the hell.

That was magic.

Without the menu or anything.

And it was so easy, like snapping your fingers.

You call the flame again, and again the fire dances on your finger tips.

Wow.

Just... Wow.

Eventually, the old man's face stops looking like a ghost, but he won't be awake for awhile.

Plus, that snowstorm's rolled in, just like you thought it would. While you could still survive outside if it was just the weather, you remember what blizzards meant in game. Lots of high level monsters, lowered visibility, and a DoT for just going outside if you didn't have a Heat buff.

So, for now you're snowed in.

What to do ...

[?]

Last edited by a moderator:
[X] Prepare some stew for when he wakes up and settle in to pass the time by examing our magic, carefully.

[X] Give self a heat buff [We are a FIRE mage]
-->[X] Hunt down a monster
-->[X] Make monster stew

Tastes like victory.

[X] Prepare some stew for when he wakes up and settle in to pass the time by examing our magic, carefully.

Vindictus said:
[X] Give self a heat buff [We are a FIRE mage]
-->[X] Hunt down a monster
-->[X] Make monster stew

Tastes like victory.
We should have at least some food in our inventory and hunting for mosnters before the guy is awakeor we have a handle on our magic seems like a bad idea.

Leaving him alone might be a bad idea.

> There's some old papers written in the game's script

Maybe we should check if we can read them. That is probably just my habit, but reading whatever you can get you hands on normally is a good idea.

I am also slightly paranoid about experimenting with magic inside of that house, and experimenting in general when there is a very real possibility of something taking notice of us and deciding what that fluffy tail tastes like chicken. Just examing is fine, but nothing more - and even that should be done carefully, since we just accidentaly magic without a menu.

Some food would be a good idea, too. Oh, and we probably need to get in touch with people in our friendlist. If we have those. :p

Zasnul said:
Leaving him alone might be a bad idea.

> There's some old papers written in the game's script

Maybe we should check if we can read them. That is probably just my habit, but reading whatever you can get you hands on normally is a good idea.

I am also slightly paranoid about experimenting with magic inside of that house, and experimenting in general when there is a very real possibility of something taking notice of us and deciding what that fluffy tail tastes like chicken. Just examing is fine, but nothing more - and even that should be done carefully, since we just accidentaly magic without a menu.

Some food would be a good idea, too. Oh, and we probably need to get in touch with people in our friendlist. If we have those. :p

[X] cook food if we have any, also, read through the spell-list, pay attention to fluff descriptions as well as mechanics. things might not work exactly like they did in the game.

[X] cook food if we have any, also, read through the spell-list, pay attention to fluff descriptions as well as mechanics. things might not work exactly like they did in the game.

[X] cook food if we have any, also, read through the spell-list, pay attention to fluff descriptions as well as mechanics. things might not work exactly like they did in the game. check if you can read the old papers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back