• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

Esquestria: The House of the Sun - A pony cultist experience

Edge didn't help us in the red church last time. It seeks silly to assume it will now. Unless bird said otherwise. And I missed it.

Assumptions are dangerous things...
You, uh… might want to check again.
And as you hear the guttural sound of something moving, you realize there is something else here with you.

[The Things That Lust, cd ???]

[Roll: 53 +12 (Intrigue) + 40 (Moth Level 4) = 105]

You have no intention of staying here to discover what made that noise.
Technically, yes, we used Moth, but Edge would have served just as well. And that was before we got into an actual fight. Which, you know, we did. I don't think anyone calc'ed exactly how much better that would have gone but it would definitely have helped.

Every part of the mansus is full of horrible monsters. They usually just want to be summoned more.

I don't think it's likely. To be completely blunt. I didn't think any amount of edge would have let us clown Marinette.

...have we done any edge rolls while climbing? I know we did when seeing the wolf divided. Maybe by the shattered staircase?

I would rather have Biedde be available when their is a dire need of him. Which could be at any moment.

Fun is fun, though. Also maybe Velvet will get to wear the cool hat...

Edit:
Getting edge up is a big deal however. Mm.

Last edited:
Well Biedde would be there if we have dire need of him in the Wake anyways, he is always Guarding in addition to whatever else he is doing.

Last edited:
I don't think it's likely. To be completely blunt. I didn't think any amount of edge would have let us clown Marinette.
Well no. But we wouldn't have taken nearly as much damage. Or lost half our Grail Influence, which IIRC cost us later in that turn.
...have we done any edge rolls while climbing? I know we did when seeing the wolf divided. Maybe by the shattered staircase?
…Okay, Zx, you clearly need to take some sort of memory booster if you're forgetting that the entire way past the Church used Edge. There were several rolls there, as well as understanding the Tribal Door. Meeting Biedde, getting up to the Peak of the Mansus…

Also I forgot to mention that the final roll in the Church just before Marinette also used could have used Edge. It's just true that it could have used most Lores.

Actually, realistically speaking, Edge would have been the single most useful Lore to boost in the first Church expedition.

Okay, Zx, you clearly need to take some sort of memory booster if you're forgetting that the entire way past the Church used Edge. There were several rolls there, as well as understanding the Tribal Door. Meeting Biedde, getting up to the Peak of the Mansus…
You know your not wrong. Honestly. My memory isn't what it used to be when it comes to details.

I am not against it if it does in fact get us to edge 4/4

Might even change my vote but it seems like there is no need?

WOOHOO CADANCE FRIENDSHIP AND CADANCE-LUNA INTERACTION AND BIEDDE!

I'm so happy we summoned him, I loved every scene with him! The start (What is wrong with the world??) as an imposing soldier, I need to reread that dialogue with Baldomare (and god NAME HOTEL IS SO MUCH FUN), and the perfect older grandfather figure for Silky (her in the hat sounds SO cute). Plus he is downright terrifying, glad Steppes did not have a heart attack.

And hey, free guarding interactions, I called it. @OurLadyOfWires I'm guessing you won't let us change up Mareinette/whoever's Guard action, would you? It feels… like if we could have summoned him pre turn we definitely would have done that differently?

Admittedly it sorta seems crazy to being an Influence that says:

A Resolution
"Who can avert the finality of battle?"

To the meeting with Comet.

But I trust @OurLadyOfWires when he says that an Influence won't never have a negative effect on an interaction.

And I do like it for the Mansus expedition we are blindly waking into (we do realize this is probably the expedition for the Grail Heirloom???? It's crazy how chill we were.)

His Sacrament seems solid! Especially if we can heal our scar.

Last edited:
I also kinda just want to see Comet and Biedde fight?

Mmm.

Comet Feet will certainly react to the fact that Velvet comes to him wearing the Colonels marking. If the influence wins.

Especially after the Scarred Mare ruined his ritual the last time.

I am sure Velvets everything is an exercise in upset and confusion for Comet.

Who is she to now offer him what she previously snatched away? For what cost? Nothing? Why? How even.

How has Velvet sunk so far into the ways of blood and violence without becoming a monster.

She must be a monster. Just one who can hide it.

His Sacrament seems solid! Especially if we can heal our scar.
It's actually probably one of the most chill Sacraments we've seen, especially for Names. I mean, it has the most chance of actually hurting Velvet, but on a narrative scale it's… fairly simple.

Baldomare: let's do some expeditions
DOA: Yo, jump into another world and run an errand for me
Marinette: Cannabilsm ahoy!
Biedde: eh, just give me a good spar I guess.

Like, everybody else wants Velvet to do shit for them and spend resources. All Biedde wants is for her to prove her skill in a fight.
Especially after the Scarred Mare ruined his ritual the last time.
…What ritual? The only ritual Velvet was around Comet for, she was helping him, and it succeeded to the highest degree.
How has Velvet sunk so far into the ways of blood and violence without becoming a monster.

She must be a monster. Just one who can hide it.
Nah, Comet's pretty well convinced that she's a monster, and she doesn't bother hiding it either. He's just a bigger monster. :V

Instead of having him call a 1 turn influence it might be better for him to Cast the Ritual to properly Call an Influence that Last 2 turns. It only 30 Bits, and he has decent odds of hitting the max

Or have Biddie Summon a Mare in the Light 55 bits with Lantern 0 Reagent, he's decent chance to summon them.

[Candle Dust]
-A small powdered crystal that can be used to detect changelings, with varying degrees of reliability. Widely available for your agents, and present in every one of your detectives' saddle-bags.
-In practice, a Lantern Level 0 Artifact of single use. Developed, produced and distributed to you by "Eclipse".

Last edited:
Or lost half our Grail Influence, which IIRC cost us later in that turn.
Indeed, that event on turn 15 caused our final roll for Twilight persuasion to fail on turn 16. An additional +20 from the full Grail influence would've been barely enough to take it to the next breakpoint, "An impossible suggestion," which I'm guessing might've been the chance to dangle Forge's Redemption in front of her.

…What ritual? The only ritual Velvet was around Comet for, she was helping him, and it succeeded to the highest degree.
I think they're talking about the time when we took Fluttershy to him in the Everfree Forest and he had almost completely given himself over to the Colonel or something like that, not too clear on what CS mechanic was going on there.

I think they're talking about the time when we took Fluttershy to him in the Everfree Forest and he had almost completely given himself over to the Colonel or something like that, not too clear on what CS mechanic was going on there.
Ah. Yeah, that wasn't a ritual, though I do concede that it was a fairly poor moment between them. Though really, the Colonel's influence being beaten was mostly on Fluttershy, we just helped her find the place. :V

You think there is a Pony, nearby, in the deep dark to which the oath retreated. You think he had his grip nearly closed around Comet Feet, like a coffin that was about to be nailed shut. You think he is shaking his head in disapproval, as his grip disappears like a faint mist.

Quaxotia had it.

And it has the hallmarks of a ritual to me. One to call to the Colonel. Or what remains.

I also wonder if Biedde is aware this happened.

Also, telling him to "extend his stay" is a free action of his, and... well, technically it CAN be picked at any time? Except for the long expedition one. But still, I'm more looking for what you want him to do, not a pick on his extension actions.
Still, vote for whatever you like. It's just that summoning him and immediately telling him to extend his stay was not something I had expected.
To be fair to them if as you say it can be picked at any time then it is a legitemate option, extending the stay indefinately with religious actions keeps Biedde in the Wake and unable to be summoned by anyone else, so if people decide that they don't have the bits for the monster hunts or don't really want him for anything but the automatic guard, they could just put him on religion every action and keep him out of opponents hands.

They just need to ignore Biedde taking time to whip the farmhands and servants into disciplined battle maids and peasant militias to fight the Changelings and other monsters or whatever religious duties for a Name of the Hour of Authority/Law would be.

Actually considering Changelings were cast from the Mansus and given Grail thirst due to being declaired Criminals if irc, would Biedde count Changeling hunting on our orders to be monster hunting?

Final comment, great post as always, birb must have achived their forge sacrament to be able to create so quickly, 12k words in 6 hours jeez

Edit: wait i think my brain is just being dumb because re reading your statement i think you mean we can pick in advance how to refresh but its entirely seperate from actions, this is just reading comprehension at 3am whoops.

Last edited:
whatever religious duties for a Name of the Hour of Authority/Law would be.
Are we sure that having him continuously do religious actions will be in our best interests? He won't tell us what those actions are, and we interfered with the Colonel's plan for Comet Feet. On the other hand, we did betray the cult and the Master in favor of the Crown, so the Colonel may look upon that favorably. We are scarred, but are planning to fix that.

[X] [BIEDDE] Ask for an Influence of Edge.
[X] [BIEDDE] Send somepony to locate, or spy on, this opponent (Copper Secateur)
[X] [BIEDDE] Attack a Foe (Copper Secateur)

Last edited:
Are we sure that having him continuously do religious actions will be in our best interests? He won't tell us what those actions are, and we interfered with the Colonel's plan for Comet Feet. On the other hand, we did betray the cult and the Master in favor of the Crown, so the Colonel may look upon that favorably. We are scarred, but are planning to fix that.

Oh I don't think its a good idea at all not only is it a religion of always trust authority no matter what and sticking to the status quo, it is also probably a leak of Lore/Edge knowledge/philosophy into the Wake. Letting a character that is in an unbreakable service to a God of Conflict whom specifically can't be befriended have extra actions to do what they want with no knowledge on what they are doing is a good way to get blindsided by an avoidable development. Just because Biedde wasn't doing anything in between Era's does not mean that the Colonel and himeself do not have their own plans for the Wake because if they didn't why would they even bother to accept the summons considering they already have their duty, after all I think it was mentioned somewhere that the summons with Names are invitations and contracts not temporarily abducting and enslaving, if the Wake has nothing he wants or needs he wouldnt be here.

Tldr: don't think its a good idea, was just joking but also giving out more info on what someone seemed to be voting for and what the thought process behind it might have been.

Edit: also the Colonel would not look upon us favorably for the betrayal of the Master, we betrayed the Crown first by pledging loyalty to an enemy of it and for that we were guilty of treason, but then we betrayed the one whom we personally pledged loyalty to and for that we are a traitor twice over.
Also the vote to go against the Cult so long ago makes it clear that betraying the cult was an act that is more in line with the Lionsmith as despite it being in service to the government and its laws, we still betrayed our oaths and leader.
I think in order of importance on following authority the Colonel goes Personal Oaths of loyalty>Family Head>Laws by being a citizen(the government)>Rest of family/relationships but I may be wrong about that.

Edit 2: rereading Bieddes contract I noticed this line that I missed whilst skimming it earlier.
"I am forever bound to His service. So, once my initial contract is done, I will be willing to extend it in exchange for the chance to pursue His goals."
It straight up says he is pursuing the Colonels goals, not even his own. Allowing an Hour more influnce in the Wake in ways other than a culling of monster populations is very much a horrible idea, these are Great and Terrible beings not people, they follow their own natures to it's logical extremes and are no longer truely compatible with mortal beings, the Colonel is no longer a being who prizes Authority, The Colonel is Authority, his perfect world if he were the only Hour would be a world of discipline to the point where beings are incapable of the free will to go against the authority of the world that of course being him, when he was a mortal he might have been reasonable but once you become an Hour you become an incarnated principle of the world or in other words you embody a truth of the world which means that any part of the you from before that goes against whichever truth you embody is discarded. The Colonel is Order enforced by violence (Edge) and nothing else, so any being who serves him and pursues his intrests in the Wake must be made to pursue the intrests that do the least harm i.e monster hunting.

Last edited:
Actually, now that the hype has kinda worn off, looking at that Sacrament from Biedde is…

It's really weird, you know? It's explicitly "pick a fight with the Edge Name." And sure, you're not expected to win or anything, but it's still picking a fight with and Edge Name. More, it's actually managing to hurt that Edge Name. Someone who, at his most casual, swings a +80 to combat rolls. Even the quote is just wild.
"The price has always been blood. In this case, my blood. Draw a single drop of it, and I will permit you passage.
"Draw a single drop of my blood" is so fucking cool, you know? Especially with the way it's designed to be done with the Max Edge Influence.

Biedde is literally challenging Velvet to a fucking anime fight against himself as the old master as a test to prove herself worthy. Doing it properly, it's basically gonna be Chrysalis vs. Celestia all over again, except this time we're the ones fighting.

Imagine literally anybody's face when they hear Velvet picked a fight with an Edge Name.
I will laugh if we heal our scar to better our chances against Biedde just to find out his Sacrament only benefits those with scars.
While possible, I will note that the flavor text kinda… really makes it sound like Biedde is just doing the personal sacrament except using his nature as a super Killy Edge Name to lessen the "kill your opponent" into "hurt your opponent."

Like… Blood is always the price, but if you look at it like a ritual—it's not exactly one, but rituals use blood for power after all—a normal Worthy Foe is a Level one reagent compared to Biedde being a Level five reagent or something. So you only need a small part of his reagent worth to pay the price.

Or maybe it's more like the difference between Velvet summoning Windigoes and the Cult. Velvet wouldn't actually have to kill people because she knows subtler ways to invoke the same amount of power.

Last edited:
Actually, now that the hype has kinda worn off, looking at that Sacrament from Biedde is…

It's really weird, you know? It's explicitly "pick a fight with the Edge Name." And sure, you're not expected to win or anything, but it's still picking a fight with and Edge Name. More, it's actually managing to hurt that Edge Name. Someone who, at his most casual, swings a +80 to combat rolls. Even the quote is just wild.

"Draw a single drop of my blood" is so fucking cool, you know? Especially with the way it's designed to be done with the Max Edge Influence.

Biedde is literally challenging Velvet to a fucking anime fight against himself as the old master as a test to prove herself worthy. Doing it properly, it's basically gonna be Chrysalis vs. Celestia all over again, except this time we're the ones fighting.

Imagine literally anybody's face when they hear Velvet picked a fight with an Edge Name.

While possible, I will note that the flavor text kinda… really makes it sound like Biedde is just doing the personal sacrament except using his nature as a super Killy Edge Name to lessen the "kill your opponent" into "hurt your opponent."

Like… Blood is always the price, but if you look at it like a ritual—it's not exactly one, but rituals use blood for power after all—a normal Worthy Foe is a Level one reagent compared to Biedde being a Level five reagent or something. So you only need a small part of his reagent worth to pay the price.

Or maybe it's more like the difference between Velvet summoning Windigoes and the Cult. Velvet wouldn't actually have to kill people because she knows subtler ways to invoke the same amount of power.
Its even weirder because its trying to draw blood from a Name of the Hour who made it so he couldn't be wounded by making himself invincible via scars, so his Names probs have some insane durabilty on the toughness of their skin (which I think is represented by the +5 bonus per wound) but still the challenge to draw blood from someone nigh invincible with whatever adventages you can get other than an ambush is probs on par or exceeding the challenge of kill someone whom is either equal or superior to you in a mostly fair fight with the caveat of their being no possibility of escape (as seen with how Shining Armour in his narration of ''I see you my enemy'' says he doesn't have a choice to accept Comet's challenge, the fight is enforced by the Lores until a victor is determined, no running).

I mean, yeah. Like, Comet wasn't even Influenced up, and he was rolling Shining right from the get go. There was nothing saying he couldn't have grabbed an Influence either. Bro could have had +99 versus +25 and equal health. Trying to get a hit on Biedde is… wildly more difficult, even with an Influence.

Okay, time for some Pittauro-posting. I want to digest the updates before I get into the mechanical weeds.

--------------------------------------------------
Hello! My name is CADANCE.
And my HUBBY works here.
--------------------------------------------------
God Cadence is so cute.
"So am I, but there wasn't much we could do about it. Fillies had school, and Stormy is still at work. And besides, I wouldn't be able to make the rounds and talk to everypony if they were here," she says, with a light shrug. "And also, I hope to be able to make more events like this in the future."
This was the line I thought… wait, this is weird. Nice clue it's a dream sequence!
You are halfway towards the desk, and the filly sitting behind it, when Selene suddenly raises a hoof.
So. This is a really epic moment in a lot of ways.

BUT ALSO IS THIS NOT JUST THE FUNNIEST IMAGE. An earth pony filly, sitting in a chair way too big for her, looking absurdly serious and with her hoof raised?

So funny. (And then she goes Luna, and it's just badass).

And before you realize it, a smile is slowly appearing on your face.

More than just that, a wave of something rushes through you. Coming from inside your chest and flowing through every part of your body.

Like a garden receiving the first rain of spring. Like a home being warmed by the first rays of dawn. Like the single greatest piece of good news you have received in a long, long time, surpassed only by the day Shining Armor proposed to you. You can feel that this thing coursing through you is…

Hope.
Man, I love when a characters emotions so perfectly dovetail with a reader's. Because it was hard to tread that passage and not also feel hope, and like a bright dawn is coming after a lot of struggle.

And sure, the cul-de-sac itself is shaped like an almost-perfect circle, breaking only where the street leads back to Ponyville at large. And the size is just right to what a summoning circle should be. In fact, you think the farthest edges of the circle will end precisely where the circular sidewalk begins.

On top of that, Baldomare's notes assure you that "nopony will look, as long as you don't yell", and that "the storm scheduled for the coming morning will wash all evidence away".
Hahahaha this is such a bizarre place for a ritual, especially for a Pony who has been so consistently paranoid about suspicion. It's fun having Baldomare around!
Knock Roll: 41 + 13 (Magic) + 40 (KNOCK, Level 4) + 20 (KNOCK reagent) = 83]
@OurLadyOfWires Math is off here, though it's nbd.
They are all respectfully placed on top of perfectly square pieces of cloth. But not silk, or linen, or anything fancy or expensive. Instead, the pieces of cloth are made out of cut uniforms, from maids and workers and ponies who knew toil and a rigorous routine, so that the knives know their purpose here is to serve.

The method used to decide the winner still eludes you, or perhaps it was an agreement the contestants themselves had to reach before beginning. However, for the purpose of this ritual, it is enough that you "merely" hit all the seven knives within the three-pointed sigil.

While blindfolded.

With your back turned to it.

And without any way to see how well, or how badly, you are doing between throws.
What a sick ritual. I think one of the coolest we've seen. Love how it speaks to the Colonel in so many ways, and is totally believable as an ancient practice.
Like an old pony who is all too happy with just letting the days pass him by, after a life well lived, offering advice to whatever youngster cares to ask for it.
I expected Grandpa Biedde.

… I didn't expect SUPER FRIENDLY Biedde??
"… all the knives you threw… even this one, when I dropped it for the first time, they were all crooked. None of them were properly upright… So, can please tell me, why is it that the world is bent?"
Man this is so weird. One of those mysteries I don't know how we explore but like, The World Is Out Of Shape. What the hell has happened this past Era?

"Well then, young lady, do you think you are disturbing me? Or that instead this old pony's day would be a little better with a young filly to listen to his stories?"
@OurLadyOfWires …Was my Apocrypha's depiction of Biedde wrong BECAUSE HE WAS TOO SCARY?? Not friendly ENOUGH with Silky?

I guess it's time to make a version where he's a total story-telling pushover!

Hahahaha I was imagining the total opposite, if anything. Like he was too serious he wouldn't even occupy the living room when he could be guarding. Wow I'm so happy we summoned him.
Hm? What does Baldomare profess, but not follow?
"Quite disturbing how warped the world is, isn't it? Makes it harder to keep watch."

"I can't help but agree. The light gets ugly when it is bent like this. But still, this place has its charm, now."
Another reminder of things being bent.

…did Discord do something?
Adorable or not, we both know what wearing your cap means. And we both know it wasn't a favor. There is only one other creature who would care about that mark, and he would see right through your intent in an instant."

"Would he now? He is not above harming the young, as we both know."
Dyad clues! Though not much.
But every single one of you, from your lowliest cleaner to your personal accountant, know that it would be very rude to not be on your station once it happened. And that, even though every single one of you will die today, that it would somehow be worse if you tried to escape.

Today, you will all be judged.

And given the occupation you have chosen in your lives, it is only natural that you will all be found guilty.
Man. Doing this to Copper's cult would be wild!

And besides, your grandniece spoke well of you. Her company has earned you a stay from execution."
Silky is so friendly with the names. Absolutely love to see it. Man, Silky!Quest is wild.
The "mark" was just a little thing that stuck to Silky's head, after she wore his cap, like a splotch of ink or a speck of dirt. Nothing Velvet would ever notice, and nothing to be worried about.

Still, it was something that those with eyes could see, and a reminder that Velvet can't see everything that happens in the Wake.
Hmmmmm. Side effects of the Name hotel.

And definitely makes me a little worried about those religious activities of his.

One turn with both Bidde and Axe on guard duty due to a matter of happenstance.

I pity the fool...
Biedde and Marinette. DoA should be doing the Expedition. Which is fine, because Marinette is honestly probably scarier in a fight if only due to sheer health pool.

Seriously, imagine running into those two at the same time. And then an Influenced Velvet just for funsies.

Would we be able to afford a Forge reagent and and doing the Forges Redemption next turn? Now that we're at lvl 4 Forge and with a level 4 Forge reagent we should only need a 7 on both rolls to succeed the Ritual.

I am quite curious to find out Velvets history.

I mean, we don't even really need Mares. We could send DoA and either of our other two Names. It doesn't cost their actions after all. It's pretty much just a question of having the scraps and a free Baldomare action.
Or we can send, like, Comet. Or Fluttershy. Or a Leashed Cherrilee after a single social (I don't mean this one.)

Or hell, even a Risen would do?
Well that saves a bit of time, assuming it lasts until next turn so we can apply it to summoning those Mares)
Influences don't apply to rituals!
He is what is left.
What's left after a knife is honed down to a clean edge.
What's left after all the impurities in a metal have been worked away.
What is left after everything that does not matter is stripped away.
Man I love the way you describe things. It's beautiful and poetic and perfect.
If we knew where Copper was I would say end her. But. Ehm.
We are able to attack Copper!

Bird has explained this: we can send a Name to a location and they will spend some days identifying where she is before actually attacking. So it'll take some extra time (bits), but we're not just up a creek with no options.

Instead of having him call a 1 turn influence it might be better for him to Cast the Ritual to properly Call an Influence that Last 2 turns. It only 30 Bits, and he has decent odds of hitting the max

Or have Biddie Summon a Mare in the Light 55 bits with Lantern 0 Reagent, he's decent chance to summon them.
I thought there was something about you can only call influence on yourself? To avoid this sorta thing? But even then he only rolls +90 on a DC 150 for max bonus iirc? It's not trivial.

(MitL are tough too — that Lantern DC is high, he doesn't have great odds.)
Draw a single drop of my blood" is so fucking cool, you know? Especially with the way it's designed to be done with the Max Edge Influence.
Love the way you depicted this and totally agree.

I wonder too if he wants to be cut because a cut can scar, and each scar is another lesson.

Oh Bird, you're spoiling us with abundance of chapters!

So let me get my thoughts in order.
Because you can immediately tell from her tone of voice… the same part of your mind that learned you can trust her is also whispering to you that…

So does this mean that she trusts us? Or that Harmony trusts us? Or that Harmony powers lead her to conclusion that she can trust us?

"… all the knives you threw… even this one, when I dropped it for the first time, they were all crooked. None of them were properly upright… So, can please tell me, why is it that the world is bent?"

The world is bent. That is the first time we are learning this, I think. Our knock Sacrament would probably have us learn about this.

Edit: I thought wrong.

You are Velvet Steppes.

And today is the day you die.

Poor Steppes. And then he gets letter from us asking what ponies think about us.

The "mark" was just a little thing that stuck to Silky's head, after she wore his cap, like a splotch of ink or a speck of dirt. Nothing Velvet would ever notice, and nothing to be worried about.

Hmm. Nothing to worry about because we really can't do anything about this even if Velvet knew. Oh well, when we ascend to Glory I'm sure Velvet can wipe the splotch away.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back