• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

Esquestria: The House of the Sun - A pony cultist experience

Is there a reason people are considering a lesson over just having Marinette channel an Influence? It gives one more scrap so that on the off chance we pick up a heart scrap somewhere else it immediately rolls over to Four. Or was there something that people expect next turn that might actually need a Heart Influence and want to save it for then?

when we KNOW this summon will be contested (assuming Copper doesn't know about the Wrong Keys... and she probably doesn't, or she wouldn't have tried to EiB us I think), something like a 25% risk of failure is too much.

I'm starting to becoming a bit more paranoid about Biedde too, but that's because... we don't know if/when Copper will reach that high.

She needs to get through the Ruined Church, AND the sort-of-destroyed Concursum/Chamber of Ways, to reach Biedde at the edge of the Worm Museum.

That's not easy to do. Arguably she should not be able to do it at all, but if she tries hard enough and gets artifacts to help I can see her managing it eventually.

Problem is, we don't know if "eventually" is next turn, or in 5.

But at least we don't know FOR SURE the roll is contested, and arguably it's better to try this turn with 80% success chance then wait the turn after for a 90%, if we want to minimize the chance of Copper getting another Name.
I thought we knew for sure that the DoA summoning would not be contested though? It says so in the last update.

And I doubt that Copper would get past the Church this turn if she has not already. They have to learn how to navigate the plains of ash to reach the Mansus again first.

Doing wonderfully Bird. Wires? QM? You. Doing well either way.

As for planning...
AXE:

YES, obviously.

so Velvet starts at 4-1= 3 actions.

BUREAU

DETECTIVES: either changelings or foreign threats. Probably changelings

CONSTABLES: extra action. we need it too much

COMMISSIONER: I'm leaning Midday Dew, but I'm willing to go for something else.

FOLLOWERS

Rarity: Commission. we need the money, either now or next turn. Might as well get ahead.

Jade Whistle: Scrying, either for a lvl 5 book (from expedition, and we'll have either Luna or Mareinette do it next turn), or for our manifests if we want to destroy them.

Fluttershy: probably sacrifice for extra AP

Baldomare: Scry for Frangiclave. A MUST:

Mareinette: Either gain bits (potentially by helping Rarity be payed more, or just by GRAILING herself out, I don't care), or an heart lesson with the idea being we'll reach All-4 on turn 20 or 21 (depending on if we have to have her do an expedition next turn, or can afford the Heart Influence instead)

Velvet Axe: Canterlot expedition.

Selene: Training

Household servants: Sacrifice for extra AP with Fluttershy.

Agreed on Ax
Agreed on Bureau: But would prefer Foreign threats over changelings.
Agreed on Followers

Do note, if we take both training options with Selene, we need to pick which two we select. And given history and the potential of having them do summoning.... I would recommend Knock Lesson (especially as Ax will be summoned this turn for flavor) and General training for that extra +5 overall.

I am curious to find out what our Forge Sacrament will be, though. My guess it would be building some kind of mega-project? Like making the Dawnbreaker Core, but hopefully with considerably less nukes and blowing holes into the Histories?

Clearly it would be the Daybreaker Core!

Oh. Getting books in Ponyville could be the Servant action this turn. It is the place that gives Heart books the most, after all.

We do not have the money to spend on such smaller tomes, unfortunately.

Is there a reason people are considering a lesson over just having Marinette channel an Influence? It gives one more scrap so that on the off chance we pick up a heart scrap somewhere else it immediately rolls over to Four. Or was there something that people expect next turn that might actually need a Heart Influence and want to save it for then?

Well, Channeling an Influence on max blast is one of the few guaranteed ways to pump up a Lore at the higher levels, but not if you do it at the lower levels. It's a one-time thing for Scrap gain purposes. But given how rare Heart Scraps have been for us anyways I'm tempted.

I'm just tempted by money more. Work those markets, Mareinette!

@Pittauro Okay with a lot of it, but I really don't like not having any guarding going on…

Or we could just summon him next turn for considerably fewer bits (Edge 3 + Torn Risen)? Because, considering the current pattern of reagent-crafting costs so far, I would be 0% surprised if the cost to make a Level 4 reagent is 100+ bits.
A level 4 reagent costs 80 bits.
think that if we can get an at least 80% chance of summoning for Biedde NOW, AND it doesn't compromise the Frangiclave and Canterlot Expeditions, then we should go for it.
With an Edge 3 reagent and the Knock artefact, we're at 83% assuming we have Rerolls.

With just an Edge 4 reagent, we're at 87%, also using the knock artefact we're at 93%.

I want the insight into Mareinette that would come from her teaching us her other major Lore. Plus, it's not like any scraps we might get later would be wasted like they would if we got a SH scrap somewhere.

checking out odds with Axe and Biedde if we do it now.

Biedde

Summoning requirements: EDGE 100, KNOCK 80, MOTH 60.

Summoning cost: 100 bits.

Daughter-of-Axes

Summoning requirements: KNOCK 120, EDGE 60, WINTER 60.

For all of the above lores, Velvet has lvl 4. so she rolls 1d100 + 40 (lore) + 13 (magic) + ? (reagent bonus).

we currently have Wrong Keys (knock 3, -50 bits and priority to Axe summoning) and a Knock 2 Edge 1 Reagent

For Axe:

WINTER: at least 7, best of two.

EDGE: at least 7. one roll only. autosuccess with knock 2 edge 1 reagent.

KNOCK: need at least 67. Apply Key and existing reagent, we need a 17 (best of two)

If we wanted to be ABSOLUTELY SURE, I suppose we could study forge books, and then make a Knock 3 edge 1 reagent instead? THat improves our odds a bit, but it's probably overkill.

For Biedde

EDGE 100: need a 47. 37 with the edge 1 reagent. Probably want to make another Edge 3 reagent just for it.

KNOCK 80. need a 27. knock 2 edge 1 reagent is fine.

MOTH 60. need a 7, best of two. It doesn't really need a reagent

mh... If we want to do both Axe and Biedde, I think we'll want to take a "Make Reagents" action this turn, and make three reagents.

1 edge 3 reagents for Biedde. 1 reagent for Axe (Probably another knock 2 edge 1. or maybe Knock 3 edge 1?), and an SH 3 one (for calling an influence)

Normally I'd say that's spending too much money, BUT if we BOTH do Rarity Commission and Mareinette bits gathering now, and Rarity work next turn (and maybe even another Mareinette making money action IF we don't need her for an expedition or lessons/influence), we might just be able to make it?

I understand the want for Cadence to assist and how effective she would be to assist. Bits, royal authority, information, exposure, ect...
But.

If you all feel confident that Cadence will understand and accept hiding Luna as Selene, then I won't argue that. I doubt it will be as easy and smooth and clean as that, but if you feel they can accept that... I can see that stance.
But.

The page will turn eventually. There will come a time that all is revealed to Celestia. Where she figures out what happened, or Velvet end up telling her. Either way, there will be a time it is said.
And while I trust that Selene to do the right thing by her... Having Luna, her sister, Cadence, the one pony that has been uplifted, and Velvet, one of the few confidants she has... All of them being in on hiding Luna, at Luna's request yes, but they are in on it... It feels like a disaster waiting to happen.

That, and the small matter that Cadence is now married to Shining. And Velvet has already gone through the gauntlet of hiding these things from your spouse and came out the other end not recommending it. What sort of wedding gift would it be to provide a secret to Cadence she would have to hide?

Or if she tells Shining, then there are yet more people who know, around Celestia. People who have to hold all these spinning plates. Something Velvet has gotten good at, but that is....

Pardon, I'm rambling.
In short, I know that while Selene does trust Velvet to tell who she feels she needs to, I feel telling Cadence now will introduce more risk than it's worth. Telling her is non-optional I understand. Just.... Maybe not right this moment.

I THINK Cadance wouldn't tell, if we present it the right way. but you're not contesting that, so let's go to your other points.

Luna and Velvet are ALREADY conspiring against Celestia, for Celestia's sake. I don't think adding or not adding Cadance makes a significant difference AFTER the fact.

IF we succeed, Celestia will understand, as she obviously understands Daybreaker's danger or she would have already given up to it.

If we fail, it doesn't matter.

as for Shining... I don't think he's actually "around Celestia", for the most part? I mean, he works for us, not for the royal guards anymore. And I think that between Velvet (his boss), Luna (his boss' boss) and HIS WIFE, he can be convinced of the importance of keeping this secret for now, if Cadance has to tell him.

Technically speaking telling Cadance is not mandatory. I think we'll HAVE to tell her at some point, but then again maybe Luna will get some idea beside our "somehow make the Elements work again", Maybe we can make an "Incision at a distance" ritual (working through the dreamreal, maybe a cross with Path to Nightmare?) and use that.

We don't know. But it's possible we might not need to go to Cadance and MIGHT solve this on our own. I believe Cadance would make things simpler and easier, and to be worth it... but I might be wrong.

As for the moment... for the most part I agree on not going right now, this very turn. I'm thinking to consider it on turn 20 or 21 at the earliest, once Luna has more fully recovered and has maybe decided on a way to approach the Celestia problem. Maybe SHE will suggest going to Cadance, for all we know, and will ask us for the viability of the idea.

Maybe the Memory of Light research will give us some clue on how to calm Celestia. Maybe Luna herself will decide to make a ritual, or we'll find out an "Harmony" ritual like the Rite of the Mother and Father, but for Celestia...

I'll go back to the last threadmark, answer all the pings from that point onward, and post the answers here.
well, I'll wait for those answers before arguing more for anything. THings might change after all.

24h moratorium and 48h voting sounds reasonable. This is a big vote after all.

If there's an actual bandwagon, maybe we can shorten it to 24h, assuming you're willing and able to write earlier. Mostly only because it's half of the plan, so we MIGHT come to an agreement faster than expected.

I can agree with all of this. For Mareinette i would prefer a Heart lesson of course. Jade to scry the manuscripts. As for Fluttershy... Phrasing man, this is cultist simulator. :VOne of the things I see people disagreeing with is the lack of a Guard action, though I'm willing to take the risk for this turn.
eh, I think we need bits so much (especially if we try for Biedde NOW, which is actually viable) that Mareinette bits is probably a better idea.

I'd expect her to get easily 100 bits on her own. I mean, she's a NAME, surely she can equal Rarity in this? Surely a Name can get us an above average monthly wage? (which is around 80 bits I think) from a full action?

Rarity is NOT earning 100 bits after all. That's just our share. She's probably making ten times that. After all from a quick check I'm finding Dolce&Gabbana clothes selling for 35k euros and more, and Rarity is arguably FAR above that tier.

oh, and I know about the Fluttershy phrasing. I just found it fun :V

and yeah, guard is a bit risky... but even if they're not dedicated we have Mareinette, Axe, Selene, Velvey and Baldomare (more for noticing than for combat) around, and potentially Biedde too. Surely at least ONE of them will happen to be around? Or is there zero chance they'll help @OurLadyOfWires

I think we should hold off on getting Biedde this turn. Also Velvet gets 5 actions. You took both the follower and Constable options.
right on the action numbers, I don't know about Biedde.

We can have him guard, we can have him teach us Edge, we can send him to assassinate Copper (HE'S EDGE MOTH! HE'S PERFECT FOR THAT!)...

Are we expecting to use Heart this turn? If not, I'd go scrap, and we can always get the Influence later.

I thought we knew for sure that the DoA summoning would not be contested though? It says so in the last update.

And I doubt that Copper would get past the Church this turn if she has not already. They have to learn how to navigate the plains of ash to reach the Mansus again first.
It's not contested because Wrong Key use means that, as long as we succeed, we have priority. But Copper doesn't know about Wrong Key, so she'll presumably still try.

and if we have Luna try, and she fails, THEN Copper gets a shot.

Doing wonderfully Bird. Wires? QM? You. Doing well either way.

You see, he is a man, pretending to be the universe, pretending to be a Bird, pretending to be Mareinette Our Lady of Wires.

there's multiple layers!

Do note, if we take both training options with Selene, we need to pick which two we select. And given history and the potential of having them do summoning.... I would recommend Knock Lesson (especially as Ax will be summoned this turn for flavor) and General training for that extra +5 overall.
I'm leaning Edge and Knock.

Next turn I'd try to go Winter, ALL 4, and general +5.

It doesn't matter TOO MUCH though, as long as we try to get those 5 actions all done in 2 turns (especially the all 4!)

We do not have the money to spend on such smaller tomes, unfortunately.
eh, we MIGHT be able to afford them in theory, but... first of all, we quite literally ONLY benefit from expedition books and Heart 3 books. Anything else would be pointless, and most followers can't find better books than those.

and... a lvl 3 book is 30 bits. a cheap expedition is potentially LESS than 35 bits (7 bits per day, 5 days, we can finish earlier) AND gives us more than one single book. and more expensive expeditions are likely also far more efficient.

@Pittauro Okay with a lot of it, but I really don't like not having any guarding going on…
there's a "simple" fix.

Summon Biedde, put him on guard.

Though I'm hoping all those Names calling our mansion their home might end up guarding by chance even without a dedicated action. I'm waiting to see if Bird comments on it.

With an Edge 3 reagent and the Knock artefact, we're at 83% assuming we have Rerolls.

With just an Edge 4 reagent, we're at 87%, also using the knock artefact we're at 93%.
I'm willing to try with edge 3 and knock artifact, honestly. 83% is nice. though admittedly that extra 10%...

I think that's because we are using a wrong key in the summoning, and if we didn't then the possibility exists. It has been a while since the relevant posts.

Ah, finally caught up. I saw something a few pages back about the risen, can we not summon the moth type anymore now that the wood is burned? If so, that's really unfortunate; with the 'cover your bases' an infinite risen mill would be actually useful

If a ping has not been addressed, it is either because it was already answered at some point, or because I quite simply did not notice it. If you feel your case is the later, kindly ping me again!

Actually a thought @OurLadyOfWires, if we put a general guard action into the follower phase plan, and it turns out the mechanically/narratively optimal way is still for it to end up with Fluttershy via her asking Comet Feet, will that happen even if we don't specify that in her exclusive actions?
The idea of general actions is that "anypony can do it, without any drawbacks, so QM will just pick the most suited".

Poking Comet Feet, however, comes at its own cost. That's why it's an exclusive action to begin with.

So, Comet will only be called if you specifically ask for him. He won't appear if you ask for a general action guarding.

Right. @OurLadyOfWires a question I asked earlier—or at least it was a thought in contention—is Selene always "around" in case of household attacks? Being our kid and all. Or would we have to purposefully ask her to protect the household if we want her there to guard the rest of the family should they be under attack now that she's a Confidante and has her own stuff going on?
No, not always.

If you are attacked, you are only guaranteed to have Velvet involved, and other ponies who are purposefully guarding the house. Those are your only guarantees.

- - -

As a side note, and regarding this and future Selene questions. I find it funny that she is literally living the Magical Girl life now.

Schoolfilly by day, literal Magical Princess of the Moon by night. With her adoptive sister helping her keep her disguise and stuff like that.

Anyways, there is a term called "moonlighting" that refers to a person who works a second/night job, for whatever reason.

Selene will literally be moonlighting often.

There are plenty of windows your resident alicorn will be away.

- - -

I got out of bed because I remembered the malus must eventually be known.
@OurLadyOfWires This is, in a sense, the beginning of planning for Turn 19
What "gift" does Velvet's youngest son bring?
Soon. During Turn 19. You aren't losing anything by not knowing about it now, so don't worry.

Wooooo, Selune! @OurLadyOfWires , is Luna's "Diligent" self-training action in addition to her normal actions? If so that's great for Selene.
Yes, exactly that. "In addition" is the term that was eluding me while I was writing all those damn descriptions.

Selene will always train at least one option per turn. If you tell her to train with an action of hers, she will end up training a total of two in that turn. If you tell her to train with all her actions, she will end up training three options. That's exactly it.

@OurLadyOfWires i think you said that would come up really soon? Did you forget it, or have we just not reached the "soon" point yet?
We'll address the Mansus when Velvet goes to the Mansus. It is inevitable, so don't worry.

@OurLadyOfWires Yay/Nay on Pride's gifts reducing expedition costs and not angering Pride as long as DoA is leading it?
"Nay".

Using items from the gift baskets for rituals is fine. Using parts of the gift as alchemical components is stretching it a bit, but Velvet's Forge is focused on that kind of thing.

But somehow transforming it into items needed for an expedition is just too much. Can't turn a perfume into a climbing hook.

@OurLadyOfWires could their be a general action where a confidant just does things to get spare money.
Like I said somewhere else, actions to "just make me money" were never (literally never) picked so far in the quest. So those options were slowly phased out, until they were entirely gone from the voting options for simplicity's sake.

But, and I'll say this as many times as needed, if you WANT an action like that, suggest a write in.

And as an initial guidance point, don't tell me "how" you want it done. I'll take care of that. The only thing I (and Velvet) really want to know is "how illegal can it get".

So, this is not a joke. If you want to put that write in on your plan, do something like

[] Make me money (only legal)
[] Make me money (whatever it takes)

Obviously one of them will be a lot more effective than the other. And WHO does it also makes all the difference.

Just, uh, don't expect grand results? Rarity has a growing career and nets you around 50 bits a month. You are the highest police authority in the country and you make 160. So don't vote for this and expect a lavish windfall of 60ish bits.

No, I will not provide estimates of how much you can make. Try and find out, or go for a more tried and true option.

@OurLadyOfWires I have few questions in regards to new rules. During Velvet vote phase what happens with actions that give us additional actions like summoning and obtaining confidants? If Velvet summons Mares in Mirror or completes her social with Filthy Rich would we be able to use their actions same turn? or they need to be done in follower turn like with DoA summon?
DoA is an exception I am making because she is a known quantity, and the odds of summoning her are high enough.

But like it happened waaay earlier in the quest, if you acquire a summons/whatever that can perform actions, I'll just open a mini-vote on that turn to address that. Or, if they appear too close to the end of the turn, I'll handwaive it into a "they appear at the beginning of Turn 20 for all intents and purposes".

Actually, @OurLadyOfWires should you be including a thing for Risen actions like with the DoA possibility?
You have summoned too few Risens during the entire quest for me to want to bloat voting options with them. And you do not have any dead bodies at your immediate disposal.

So no need.

By all means, summon them if you like. It's part of your game and options. I just won't create a particular section with shiny arrows, like with DoA, because thread mood has largely ignored them.

Which is fine. Velvet not liking necromancy is a personality trait.

@OurLadyOfWires if we decided to go for Biedde now, how would you go about it? We obviously can't plan his action if we don't know his traits, so would you just let us pick his action mid-turn if the summon succeeds?
Wont include him in these voting phases. And I'll decide it depending how the turn goes.

If he can appear at the end of the turn, I'll consider his summoning as "starting on Turn 20" and you can command him from there. If not, we'll have a mid-turn vote.

Or is there zero chance they'll help @OurLadyOfWires
Non-zero chance other characters will help.

But the odds are bad. Don't count on it.

No, really, do not count on it. They are so bad I considered lying to you just so you never count on it.

But alas.

Aye, that seems to be it. I'll be here, so feel free to ask more things.

For now, I'll go prepare the temporary threadmark, and other things besides.

Good day to us all.

Ah, finally caught up. I saw something a few pages back about the risen, can we not summon the moth type anymore now that the wood is burned? If so, that's really unfortunate; with the 'cover your bases' an infinite risen mill would be actually useful
They've been marked out, so probably not.
You are unnaturally resistant to cold;
-Learn how to summon Flourishing Risen and Torn Risen from dead bodies;
Then again, there's also this:
WINTER: Physical discomforts no longer hinder you, thought they will still affect or harm you. You are unnaturally resistant to cold. You may now summon Flourishing Risen and Torn Risen from dead bodies (Level 3);
On the same post on the character sheet. Which… actually, something someone said earlier makes me think, so.

@OurLadyOfWires have Flourishing Risen been marked off completely and we're just left with the Shattered Risen option, or is there now a different Wolfy version of Flourishing Risen? You're probably going to need to remember when you port over the ritual information Since IIRC that's where you had the Risen stats before.

Always we might need those a little sooner since it's been talked about using one this turn.

eh, we MIGHT be able to afford them in theory, but... first of all, we quite literally ONLY benefit from expedition books and Heart 3 books. Anything else would be pointless, and most followers can't find better books than those.

and... a lvl 3 book is 30 bits. a cheap expedition is potentially LESS than 35 bits (7 bits per day, 5 days, we can finish earlier) AND gives us more than one single book. and more expensive expeditions are likely also far more efficient.
Not quite true. We could benefit by building our Library using them and not have to personally teach our followers any of the Lores. Especially as the new mechanic incentives us to build up our follower count.
--
Velvet looks over the dozens of people we've recruited to her following. "We are not a Cult. A Cabal. Maybe a Coven. Possibly even a Society. But definitely not a Cult. I'd have to arrest myself in that case."

[] Make me money (only legal)
[] Make me money (whatever it takes)
At this point I'm fine with Mareinette going

[] Make me money (moderate illegal is fine. no killing, no kidnapping, no ruining someone financially. Yes to scamming, stealing from someone who can afford the loss, Grailing someone, Grailing Rarity's clients to pay more...)

Just, uh, don't expect grand results? Rarity has a growing career and nets you around 50 bits a month. You are the highest police authority in the country and you make 160. So don't vote for this and expect a lavish windfall of 60ish bits.
You're telling me Mareinette, A GRAIL NAME, can't scam someone out of the equivalent of one monthly wage?

REALLY?

And Rarity's 50 bits is presumably only a small part of what she actually makes, isn't it?

I mean, she's now the most famous fashionista in the country. I'd expect to make a LOT of money.

and if not... could we have Mareinette take an action to basically go and negotiate a better contract for her, acting as Velvet?

Non-zero chance other characters will help.

But the odds are bad. Don't count on it.

No, really, do not count on it. They are so bad I considered lying to you just so you never count on it.

ouch. I'll keep it in mind.

Not quite true. We could benefit by building our Library using them and not have to personally teach our followers any of the Lores. Especially as the new mechanic incentives us to build up our follower count.
--
Velvet looks over the dozens of people we've recruited to her following. "We are not a Cult. A Cabal. Maybe a Coven. Possibly even a Society. But definitely not a Cult. I'd have to arrest myself in that case."
We have very few REAL Followers, and it's just easier and cheaper to teach them the lvl 3s and 4s personally right now.

Later on, if/when the Bureau is introduced to the Lores, that would change things significantly.

The Lady's Grimoire New
YOUR GRIMOIRE AND RITUALS
"Lores, rituals, and the creatures that use them."

LORES

On the Lores, and their applications:
Lores can be applied in two ways, by Knowledge and by Application. Both apply in the Mansus and in the Wake.

KNOWLEDGE bonus is the measurement of how intimate you are with said Lore, how well you understand it, or how much of its power you carry.
-Your Knowledge bonus is always your Lore level times 10, OR the level of your strongest Aspect-related Artifact available (also times ten).
-Your Knowledge bonus is applied to surpass hurdles in the Mansus (something blocking your in the Mansus, a Mansus-borne curse, etc).
-Your Knowledge bonus is also applied when performing Rituals (but more on this up ahead).
-Yes, you may completely neglect leveling up an Aspect if you carry around an Artifact of sufficiently high level as a "focus", both for Mansus traversing and Ritual performing. But an Artifact is a physical object, and knowledge is not.

APPLICATION bonus is the measurement of how well you can apply your Lore knowledge in practical circumstances.
-It is the specific bonus that you gain with your current Lore level, which can be seen in your Character Sheet.
-These bonuses are applied to "broadly described" tests, and even in unexpected niche circumstances if the narrative allows it.
-Carrying an artifact, even if it is stronger than your personal Lore level, will NOT influence or boost your Application bonus.

Current known trend of the Application bonus:
-Level 0, an entry point: you gain +1 on specific tests.
-Level 1, a subtle hint: you gain +5 on specific tests.
-Level 2, a lesson learned: you gain further +5 on a specific test, and +1 on a status.
-Level 3, a realization: you gain further +5 on a specific test, and you undergo a subtle change of mind and body.
-Level 4, a confident certainty: you gain further +5 on a specific test, and one dice Re-Roll per month, for a test which involves said Lore.
-Level 5, a Sacrament: ???

But how do you improve your Lore level?
"Scraps" of Lore may be gained either by studying, or by going through certain experiences.

But even scraps of Lore come in different levels. And you are only affected by scraps that are of your current Lore level or greater. So, if you are Level 4 in a Lore, a Level 1 source of scraps will not teach you anything, and you will only learn from scraps of Level 4 or higher.

Furthermore, if the experience is not great enough, you might have to pass a CD to learn from the experience.

Studying from a book or an artifact also requires you passing a CD test. But the book/artifact itself will give you a bonus on that test, since you are studying from a place rather than trying to understand a past experience.

And finally, there are the Influences, which can be quickly explained.
An Influence is, basically, a "blessing" of a certain Aspect. It is something that covers you and accompanies you for a while.
Influences will give you both a Knowledge and Application bonus, that can be of +10, +20, +30 or +40. These bonus apply for every roll, EXCEPT for Ritual rolls. Influences will allow you to draw on the laws more easily when applying what you know, or they will shield you from the Hurdles of the Mansus or Mansus-borne Curses, but their effect are too overbearing for the delicate execution of rituals.
And also because Influences can be gained via rituals, so you will all just start a "vicious cycle" of self-buffing Influences if you are allowed to.

- - -

RITUALS

Rituals will, invariably, have several different CD, all of which you must pass in order to complete it. Each CD will be of a different Lore, depending on the effect of the ritual.
But you cannot be expected to be a master of every single Aspect. And even if you are, you cannot trust your knowledge alone to see you through, not when the stakes are dire and the needs are urgent.
So you can always "boost" your rituals... through a certain price, of course.
It is possible, depending on the complexity of the Ritual Circle, to offer it more incentives to bind the laws of the Mansus, through the correct use of sacrifices.

LIFE
Sacrifice the life of a sapient creature, and the passing of its essence shall boost the Ritual.
-Pony life: boosts every Lore by a factor of +10.
-Changeling life: KNOCK +20, GRAIL +30, MOTH +40
-Gryphon life: ???
-Dragon life: ???
-???
"Blood has always been the currency of the world. Any world."

ARTIFACT
Destroy an artifact, and its Level will be applied (with a factor of +10 per level) on the Ritual.
"This thing gently emanates the energy of an Aspect, but we need more than 'gentle' for this. Wring it for its every last drop."

REAGENT
Consume a reagent, and its Level will be applied (with a factor of +10 per level) on the Ritual.
"Ink for the pen and fuel to the flame, grease for the cogs and gifts to the Name!"

???

Single Aspect Ritual Circle

"This is the simplest configuration in which we may draw the attention of the laws of the Mansus, although its uses are extremely limited. It is not so much of a ritual circle as it is a magnifying lens, through which we may look more easily into the Mansus, or perhaps through which it may see us more easily."

This Ritual Circle has no need for sacrifices.

"The Attention of the Laws"
-CD: None, instant success.
-Cost: None.
-Duration: Lasts until the end of the turn when it is cast.
-Effect: You may pick a single Lore, and double its Application Bonus for a single action. Casting this more than once, on the same Lore, will not accumulate effect, but merely allow you to apply it in two different actions. Casting this on different Lores allows for the two "doubled Lores" to be applied on the same action.

"Rite of Childhood's End"
-Cost: A bundle of crocheted blankets, knitted with love. To be mercilessly torn and burnt by the lead ritualist.
-Duration: Instantaneous. Transformation ritual.
-Effect: There is nothing good about this ritual. It is a thing to be done in desperate times only, and its effect is akin to waking up on a cold morning, from a dream of happiness long lost. This will instantly wake Princess Luna, no matter how unprepared she is. And this will be the end of the dream called Selene. (Not a ranged Ritual. Selene must be present.)

"Rite of the Mother and the Father"
-Cost: A mother, a father, a daughter who is asleep. (Does not require a ritual circle. Does not cost an action. Velvet Covers will refuse to perform it with a pony who is not Stormchaser.)
-Duration: Instantaneous.
-Effects:
"It is time to wake up."

Two Aspect Ritual Circle

"Two concentric circles, the second more complex than the first, but not so much that they do not complement each other. Like a sun eclipsed by the moon, or like the dance of life and death, the centerpiece circle maintains its function as a "magnifying lens", but it is used instead to draw the laws of an Aspect for a lesser function, a "base" for the ritual. The outer circle, which allows for more complex application, uses that base for the intended purpose."

This Ritual Circle allows for ONE sacrifice.

"The Forge's Redemption"
-CD: GRAIL 60, FORGE 100
-Cost: 20 bits on simple materials.
-Duration: Permanent.
-Effect: Permanently removes a "Lasting Wound" or other body-affecting malus.
-Failing this ritual risks you suffering a Wound.

"The Incision of the Heart"
-CD: EDGE 60, HEART 100
-Cost: 20 bits on simple materials.
-Duration: Permanent.
-Effect: Permanently removes a "Lasting Mental Debuff" or any other mind-affecting malus.
-Failing this Ritual risks a non-permanent Mental Malus.

"The Path Through Nightmares"
-CD: KNOCK 60, MOTH variable
-Cost: 50 bits on materials.
-Duration: Instantaneous. Offensive Ritual.
-Effect: Sends your target into a nightmare, with escape CD set to your MOTH roll. Every failed attempt at escape causes a psychological wound (one Dread, Fascination, or something else) and gives the target a +10 bonus for the next attempt. In average, mortal ponies will die if they spend too long with three or more psychological wounds. May be "dosed" to stop at a certain point, as in "before target goes insane" or "as soon as target is sufficiently frightened/intimidated".
-Failing this Ritual yields no maluses, bar frustration.

"The End is Beautiful"
-CD: LANTERN 60, WINTER variable
-Cost: 45 bits on materials. (Originally 50)
-Duration: Instantaneous. Offensive Ritual.
-Effect: Target rolls against your WINTER CD. Divide the difference between your roll by 17, rounded DOWN. Target takes that number as Wounds.
-Failing this Ritual is... impossible. Somepony, somewhere, will die.
-It is extremely unadvised to cast this Ritual more than once per month.

"The calling of Influence"
-CD: Any aspect, as follows:
Desired Effect+10+20+30+40
CD6080110150
-Cost: 30 bits on simple materials.
-Duration: Until the end of the NEXT turn after it is cast, lasting a total of two turns.
-Effect: The "Desired Effect" bonus will apply to ANY Roll that involves said aspect, except on rolls related to Rituals.
-Failing this Ritual yields no maluses, bar frustration.
-This ritual may only affect the pony casting it (a pony may not cast this ritual to give an Influence to another pony)
-You may only have one Ritual-called Influence at a time. Attempting to summon a new one will cause the previous one to be dismissed.

"The Reflection of the Tapestry"
-CD: SECRET HISTORIES 60, LANTERN variable
-Cost: 30 bits on materials. (Originally 35)
-Duration: Instantaneous/Permanent.
-Effect: Choose a "Subject" or "Location" to learn about. LANTERN roll provides information based on its value, subtracted by any defenses (mundane or otherwise) that the target might possess. Information given is incrementally better at every +20 rolled over the target's basic "resistance". Undefended targets have a basic resistance of "0".
-Failing this RItual yields no maluses, bar frustration.
-Information given can always be trusted to be true, even if frustratingly hard to interpret.
-It is possible to search for an "Item" (artifact of specified level) in order to reveal where it might be found. It is possible to target a known dungeon to scout it. Application of ritual is open and vague.

Three Aspect Ritual Circle

"Despite the great size of the Third Configuration, very few parts of it are fixed and common to all rituals. Those that are unavoidably draw the lines of Knock, and other things that are required for passages to be formed. The rest of the area that is left must be used to specify exactly who, or what, you are summoning. And once you realize just how wrong things can go, the space that is left feels small."

The Three Aspect Circle allows for TWO sacrifices

Base rules for summoned creatures
-As a rule, all creatures have a "General bonus". Unless stated otherwise, that bonus will apply to all tests that creature performs.
-As a rule, all creatures last THREE MONTHS.
-IF a creature has a bonus that applies to a specific circumstance, it will be noted. If that is the case (like a specific bonus for combat) than that bonus will apply instead of said "General Bonus"
-Any other details or particularities will be noted on a per-creature basis

The following is the information you currently know about creatures you are capable of summoning:

Mansus creatures:
THIS CREATURE CAN NO LONGER BE SUMMONED

"It is surprisingly silent, as it moves. And even though its eyes are dead and rotting, one can tell that there is a certain cunning to them. Soon, although not terribly soon, the Wood-boughs that have flourished on its insides will take root, and it will stop moving forever. But until that happens... it will obey."

Flourishing Risen

Summoning details:
-Summoning a single Risen of either kind is a FREE ACTION. (Summoning additional Risen costs 1 action per two extra dead bodies. 1 Action for a total of 3, 2 for a total of 5, etc.)
-Summoning a Flourishing Risen requires the use of a dead body.
-Summoning a Flourishing Risen does NOT require a Ritual Circle.
-They exceptionally last only TWO months.

Health: 1/1
General bonus: +5
Aspects: MOTH 2, WINTER 2
[MONSTROUS APPEARANCE]: Cannot be used for Social Actions.
[UNINTELLIGENT]: Will perform badly at Actions that require academic knowledge. (This creature is still cunning, and will not walk into traps or act foolishly)

"Whenever it moves, its bones creak like broken glass. Sharp bone fragments protrude from its dead skin, and you have no doubt that the creature is quite able at using them to cut up flesh. But there is no feeling in it, no lingering malice or any other need inside the vessel. It will follow, and it will obey, until its bones can hold it together no longer."

Torn Risen

Summoning details:
-Summoning a single Risen of either kind is a FREE ACTION. (Summoning additional Risen costs 1 action per two extra dead bodies.1 Action for a total of 3, 2 for a total of 5, etc.)
-Summoning a Torn Risen requires the use of a dead body.
-Summoning a Torn Risen does NOT require a Ritual Circle.
-They exceptionally last only TWO months.

Health: 1/1
General bonus: +5
Aspects: EDGE 2, WINTER 2
[UNINTELLIGENT]: Will perform badly at Actions that require academic knowledge. (This creature is still cunning, and will not walk into traps or act foolishly)

"A self-perpetuating manifestation of hate, this thing is not much of a creature as it is a force of nature. Controlling it is easy, but not simple, for this is a creature that may only spread its malice, and destroy everything around it. It is especially vicious towards ponies, and its mere presence is enough to bring forth a small snowstorm."

Windigo

Summoning requirements: WINTER 90, KNOCK 60, EDGE 70.

Summoning cost: 60 bits.

Summoning details:
-This creature affects its surroundings in an unsubtle manner, and it must be given an active and violent order every turn, or else it must be unsummoned;
-For an additional 15 bits on summoning costs, a Windigo may be summoned inside a sealed vessel. It may be kept indefinitely inside its vessel (its "summoning period" will not count down) for an additional 20 bits per turn to maintain the binding.
-An unbound Windigo may not be re-bound (or at least, not without efforts that would be greater than to simply banish it and summon a new one)

Health: 3
General bonus: +20
Actions that will harm ponies: +30
Aspects: EDGE 5, WINTER 5
[Malice and Pain]: Windigos operating together provide a bonus to each other, scaling with the number of Windigos.
[Incorporeal]: If a Windigo survives a battle, it will heal back to full health.

[In Service To Our Father]: If a certain quantity of Windigos is present, they will immediately break free from their bindings.

[VIOLENT]: Must be ordered to perform a violent action, or be unsummoned/banished.

"They are always mares, their coats are always bleached-white, and they always look oh so real. But upon closer scrutiny, one begins to see the more disturbing details. Like how their expressions always mimics your own, or how they almost don't leave hoofprints on the floor as if they were light. But they look normal enough. And when in the presence of other ponies, perhaps because they can mirror them, they feel even more natural."

Mare-in-the-Light [INCOMPLETE INFORMATION, you must successfully summon one for a complete status file]

Summoning requirements: LANTERN 80, KNOCK 60, EDGE 60.

Summoning cost: 55 bits. (Originally 60)

Summoning details:
-[CURRENTLY UNKNOWN]

Health: [CURRENTLY UNKNOWN]
General bonus: [CURRENTLY UNKNOWN]
"Specialty" bonus: [CURRENTLY UNKNOWN]
Aspects: LANTERN 5, EDGE 3
[LIGHT SNATCHER]: May be sacrificed to reduce one level of Fascination from one character.

[Other traits negative, unknown]

Names:
"Pleasant to talk to, and with a face that is surprisingly young for the voice she speaks with. There is a light in her eyes, although the ignorant will simply think that to be a piercing and observant gaze, and she doesn't seem to have a shadow. It is also curious how nopony can ever remember if she is a pegasus, unicorn or an earth pony. You think she can choose."

Baldomare

Summoning requirements: LANTERN 100, KNOCK 80, SECRET HISTORIES 60.

Summoning cost: 95 bits. (Originally 100)

Summoning details:
-Baldomare is willing to extend (reset) her summoning period if you gift her an UNREAD book of Level 5 or higher. "Of course it has to be unread, dear. What use do I have to a book that has already been read?"
-Baldomare is capable of CHANNELING the highest intensity of Influence in her Lores, and gifting it to you for a full month.
-Baldomare is considered to be a Minion, and does not mind being sacrificed for Rituals.

Health: 2/2
General bonus: +30
"Search actions" bonus: +50
Aspects: LANTERN 6, SECRET HISTORIES 6
[NAME]: There is, or was, a hierarchy within the Mansus. She has reached high within its ranks.
[RITUALIST]: Unlike most Names, she is willing to perform any Ritual, even if they do not involve one of her preferred Lores.
[ONE WHO IS VERY GREAT]: Baldomare is willing to offer you Sacrament in the Lores of Lantern and Secret Histories, should you fulfill her requirements.
[WEIGHT OF PRESENCE]: Baldomare grants a full level up to the Secret Library for her preferred Lores.

[NONCOMBATANT]: Baldomare refuses to engage in any sort of fighting, and has adjusted her health to reflect that. "I barely ever wear a body! So why would I want to feel pain on the rare occasions I do?"
[UNIQUE]: Baldomare is a unique creature. She may refuse summons at will, and will refuse re-summons for three full months should she be unsummoned for any reason (including if she is killed).

"She claims that she was the Daughter of 'another', before, but that she had to bind herself to a new patron once her Mother 'did what she did'. Always wearing a cloak upon her body, and a scowl upon her face, you have slowly come to realize that, perhaps, her problem is that she simply isn't good with words. Or with ponies. Most likely with both, to tell the truth. You are also pretty sure that she has scales underneath that cloak, instead of fur, but you will definitely not pry. Especially given how she seems to hide that great horn-topped axe so easily underneath that cloak. And considering her Lore nature, you wouldn't be surprised at all if the inside of her cloak is a lot larger than it appears."

Daughter-of-Axes

Summoning requirements: KNOCK 120, EDGE 60, WINTER 60.

Summoning details:
-The Daughter-of-Axes is capable of crafting THREE "Wrong Keys" to you, in a single turn. however, she is only willing to do that ONCE per summoning period.
-The Daughter-of-Axes is capable of CHANNELING the highest intensity of Influence in her Lore, and gifting it to you for a full month. She is also capable of CHANNELING a lower-intensity Influence of her secondary Lore, although both of you consider that to be a waste of her time.
-The Daughter-of-Axes is considered to be a Minion, and does not mind being sacrificed for Rituals.

Health: 5
General bonus: +30
"Expedition actions" bonus: +50 (applies to any expedition roll that is NOT combat [or social] related)
Aspects: KNOCK 6, EDGE 3
[NAME]: There is, or was, a hierarchy within the Mansus. She has reached high within its ranks.
[ONE WHO IS VERY GREAT]: The Daughter-of-Axes is willing to offer you Sacrament in the Lore of Knock, should you fulfill her requirements.
[WEIGHT OF PRESENCE]: The Daughter-of-Axes grants a full level up to the Secret Library for her preferred Lore.
[CRAFTER]: Is capable of producing "Wrong Keys" (three in a single action, but only once per summon).

[PROUD]: Will refuse to cast any rituals that do not involve Knock.
[UNIQUE]: The Daughter-of-Axes is a unique creature. She may refuse summons at will, and will refuse re-summons for three ONE full month should she be unsummoned for any reason (including if she is killed).
[UNINTERESTED]: Will refuse any gifts to stay in the Wake (however, her cooldown for re-summoning is a single full month)
[ANTISOCIAL]: All her bonus, regardless of circumstance or situation, fall down to a flat "+10" if she attempts to engage in any social action (even her usual +50 expedition bonus, if the hurdle being faced is social in nature).

"WRONG KEY" (Wrong Keys are explained here, since they are curios, but any Wrong Key you hold will be listed in together with your other "temporary items" and summons)

Consumable Item

-Can be used as a "Knock 3" reagent
-Single use (breaks when used)
-Can be used reactively to completely deny an enemy offensive ritual aimed at you or at ponies near your immediate physical vicinity.
-Can be used to instantly inflict a single wound to a summoned creature if used in combat.
-Breaks at the end of its fifth month of existence.
-Using a Wrong Key as a sacrifice to summon the Daughter-of-Axes will decrease the ritual cost by 50 bits, and will give you one level of [Priority] over any opposing rituals.
-([Priority] meaning that, if an opposing party attempts to summon her as well, you will not "compete" for the summoning and will always "win", as long as you successfully roll the minimum required for her summoning and have a [Priority] level greater than your foes).

"An old and battered uniform, worn proudly. A small knife and a blowpipe, used to lethal effect. A sagged and wrinkled face, hiding eyes that are hard and cold. Everything about this stallion is old. And yet, he wears all those characteristics as if they are medals. He moves slowly, and carefully, like a mindful grandfather. But no action he performs, from lighting his pipe to crushing a pony's bone, may be denied."

Biedde [INCOMPLETE INFORMATION, you must successfully summon him at least once for a complete status file]

Summoning requirements: EDGE 100, KNOCK 80, MOTH 60.

Summoning details:
-[CURRENTLY UNKNOWN]

Health: ??
General bonus: ??
"Specific" bonus: ??
Aspects: EDGE 6, MOTH 3
[NAME]: There is, or was, a hierarchy within the Mansus. He has reached high within its ranks.
[ONE WHO IS VERY GREAT]: Biedde is willing to offer you Sacrament in the Lore of Edge, should you fulfill his requirements.
[WEIGHT OF PRESENCE]: Biedde grants a full level up to the Secret Library for his preferred Lore.
[OTHER POSITIVE PERKS, UNKNOWN]

[UNIQUE]
: Biedde is a unique creature. He may refuse summons at will, and will refuse re-summons for three full months should he be unsummoned for any reason (including if he is killed).
[OTHER NEGATIVE PERKS, UNKNOWN]

Other Rituals:

"Do not invite her to drink. Do not leave her alone with foals. Under no circumstances try to look at the hoofs of her hindlegs. She is large, larger than a pony could ever possibly be. If her horse-shaped silhouette can even be trusted, that is. She wears a dark-red and regal cloak, and she reeks of old blood. Her bony visage clacks whenever she speaks, and at times you swear she is nothing but a puppeteer's trick. And yet, for some maddening reason, you cannot point out a single thing that is wrong with her, and you cannot explain to yourself why you shouldn't treat her as anything but an honored guest."

Mareinette, Our Lady of Wires

Summoning requirements: Grail 100, KNOCK 100, HEART 100. (This ritual may never be cast again)

Summoning cost: 100 bits, to procure a black boar to be sacrificed, as well as other items besides. (This ritual may never be cast again)

Summoning details:
-Upon successful completion of the ritual, Mareinette will be PERMANENTLY and COMPLETELY summoned into the Wake. She will no longer reside within the Mansus.
-Upon successful completion of the ritual, Mareinette will be bound and obedient like a regular summon.
-However, her bindings will only last for three whole turns. It will be necessary to rebind her, somehow, once that time is up.
-Mareinette may be voluntarily rebinded by either a suitable gift, or the acquiescing of a request. She will usually offer a choice on the eve of her unbinding.

Health: ??/??
General bonus: +40 ("Old and Terrible")
"Social action" bonus: +60
Aspects: GRAIL 6, HEART 6
[ONE WHO IS VERY GREAT]: Mareinette is willing to offer you Sacraments in the Lores of Grail and Heart, should you fulfill her requirements.
[OUR LADY OF WIRES]: Mareinette is immune to the effects of "Monstrous Appearance".
[HONORED GUEST]: Mareinette can "step in" on Velvet's horseshoes, and perform social actions in her stead even if only Velvet should have been able to perform them. (HOWEVER, see "Old Intelligence")
[WEIGHT OF PRESENCE]: Mareinette grants a full level up to the Secret Library for her preferred Lores.

[OLD INTELLIGENCE]: If Mareinette is alone while performing a social action, and a vote is offered, she will instead pick the vote based on what she thinks is best. (This will be based on her personal knowledge of you, as well as her loyalty. This trait can be either positive or negative, depending on interpretation)

[MONSTROUS APPEARANCE]: Cannot be used for Social Actions. (Immune)
[PROUD]: Will refuse to cast any rituals that do not involve Grail or Heart.
[THE SECOND BIRTH]: Mareinette may choose to sacrifice a tremendous amount of health to immediately break her summoner's bindings.
[NEVER ASK A LADY HER AGE]: Mareinette may elect to hide some of her characteristics from you. (She certainly is hiding her health, and she may be hiding other negative traits or skills)
[Other traits negative, unknown]

Oh yeah, @OurLadyOfWires were you going to update the info on Ash only when Velvet's actions came around, or is it at all relevant for the followers vote?
Not relevant to follower's vote. Don't worry.

Thank you very much for reminding me of this, of course. But this particular plate is spinning properly.

Do remind me if you feel like I am forgetting something else, though.

Oh, and I fixed the Flourishing Risen thing. They are all gone. Thank you for the catch on the character file!

Velvet not liking necromancy, @OurLadyOfWires ? Preposterous! We used necromancy for a prank, for Glory's sake! No, our problem was the heat we were getting for stealing dead bodies. And then the problem was that we suddenly didn't have mooks that were willing to bring us said bodies. If we still had Cultists of little skill I would be hitting up that graveyard way more often.

On a related note, can we use our Winter Realization mid-combat? Would have been useful back when we raided for Twilight, but Fearful crippled us into inaction. Now that Fearful is gone though... would it be possible to?

Voting will open TWENTY-FOUR HOURS from the posting of this threadmark. If you can read this, then voting is OPEN

After that, voting will remain open for FORTY-EIGHT HOURS, although latitude will be given if you all believe we need more or less voting time.

Votes will only be counted from this threadmark onwards. Refer to the previous threadmark for the voting options.

Finally, a few important things have been changed/updated in the voting options:
-Axe's summoning now has a special option allowing Luna to perform it. She has a sufficiently good chance to do it, and will immediately give the bindings to Velvet if she succeeds.
-Mareinette may perform the "Confront Comet" fleeting opportunity. That option has been included in her "exclusive actions" section.
-During the next turn, Velvet will also decide she must find a way to extract an Outsider's blood, otherwise simply finding it will not be of much use. You will be warned that a Mansus action for that search will be available next turn. (This is NOT a Fleeting Opportunity, and is in practice a simple Mansus Exploration action)
-There are no incoming offensive rituals this turn, but you cannot predict physical attacks.
-A small informational that Rarity gifted you 55 bits has been added.
-EDIT TO ADD: A "generic" action to search Canterlot for an Outsider has also been added. Since any character can do it, but Baldomare will most likely be the most effective at it.

Ask QM if you have any questions!

Last edited:
Hmm. Anyways, so we probably should make sure someone is on guard, since Luna won't automatically do that. A Shattered Risen could actually help with that, even if we're not aiming to summon Biedde immediately. They last long enough to be a reagent next turn too, though I don't know who we would want to get it. On the other hand, I actually wouldn't mind just asking Selene to help guard her own family. She would probably want to do it anyways.

Though on a different not, for people wanting to scry manuscripts or Copper's Cult or whatever with Jade, I would point out that sending Selene to investigate with dream walking actually probably would just be a better action, and we could then divert Jade to covering our bases or Memory research or… whatever.

Also, @OurLadyOfWires because there was some confusion. Can you clarify whether DoA is actually uncontested, or whether you're just assuming the Wrong Key makes Copper's attempts moot? Because that does kind of matter when deciding whether to risk Selene failing.

Last edited:
Also, @OurLadyOfWires because there was some confusion. Can you clarify whether DoA is actually uncontested, or whether you're just assuming the Wrong Key makes Copper's attempts moot? Because that does kind of matter when deciding whether to risk Selene failing.
Wrong Keys give the summoner "priority". So even if someone else tries to summon, and get better results, you will still win. So, this summoning is effectively non-contested, because other contestants will only win if you fail entirely.

Also, Selene can't (mechanically) use dream shenanigans to harass interact with your opponents yet. She will be able to, eventually, but this is not a thing right now.

Wrong Keys give the summoner "priority". So even if someone else tries to summon, and get better results, you will still win. So, this summoning is effectively non-contested, because other contestants will only win if you fail entirely.

Also, Selene can't (mechanically) use dream shenanigans to harass interact with your opponents yet. She will be able to, eventually, but this is not a thing right now.
Fair on the latter part, but, ah… you seem to be misunderstanding the former. People are worrying that Selene will fail entirely. Or at least, that she's more likely than Velvet to do so. So unless you can give a guarantee that "good enough chances" means it's going to definitely succeed, they have to ask themselves if they're okay running that higher chance of Copper getting DoA.

So it would be worth knowing whether the situation is "she's trying, but it doesn't matter if you don't fail" or "it doesn't matter even if you fail" in regards to the danger of Copper getting DoA.

Oh, right, right.

The Cult knew how and when DoA was summoned, so somepony will definitely try to nab her as well.

Apologies, I should have said it more clearly. Somepony will always try to nab Names whenever possible.

Oh, right, right.

The Cult knew how and when DoA was summoned, so somepony will definitely try to nab her as well.

Apologies, I should have said it more clearly. Somepony will always try to nab Names whenever possible.
It should be obvious, I agree, but… well. Even when a QM isn't trying to be mysterious or subtle, there's still plenty of people to whom it isn't, especially when exact words like "effectively uncontested" are used.

Part of it is just things going over your head, part of it is paranoia born of prior experience, and part of it is just the incessant urge to quibble over stupid details just because you can. :V

YOUR GRIMOIRE AND RITUALS
"Lores, rituals, and the creatures that use them."
is this in any way different from what's in SV?

well, not counting the crossed out selene rituals.

If we still had Cultists of little skill I would be hitting up that graveyard way more often.
Maybe Comet can tell us where he hid the corpses from the Catastrophe! :V

-Axe's summoning now has a special option allowing Luna to perform it. She has a sufficiently good chance to do it, and will immediately give the bindings to Velvet if she succeeds.
not quite good enough, sadly. If this was next turn, she'd have potentially All-4 and I'd feel much better about it.

-During the next turn, Velvet will also decide she must find a way to extract an Outsider's blood, otherwise simply finding it will not be of much use. You will be warned that a Mansus action for that search will be available next turn. (This is NOT a Fleeting Opportunity, and is in practice a simple Mansus Exploration action)
That can wait until we're closer to finding that outsider, or at least the turn in which we're searching for him for real.

-A small informational that Rarity gifted you 55 bits has been added.
nice!

But I'll ask again, because I just find it so weird, Bird.

Is Mareinette really unable to outdo Rarity's gift? She's a name! I'd expect she'd be able to make far more money than Rarity's gifts.

Just... I don't know, meet a few nobles and scam them of their money. Seduce one and get expensive gifts. It feels weird that you're saying we should not expect her to be able to make 60 bits, when 60 bits is an "average" wage.

So, I'm leaning towards getting both Biedde and Axe this turn. But Biedde is something for the next Vote to concern ourselves about.

RIght now I think we agree on, like, 80 to 90% of the plan.

What I think we can ALL agree about:

AXE: yes

BUREAU:

Constables: +1 AP

FOLLOWERS

Fluttershy and Servants: Covers you Bases, +1 AP

Rarity: Commission

Baldomare: Scry for Frangiclave

Velvet Axe: Canterlot Expedition

The above is, I think, uncontroversial.

WHAT MIGHT CHANGE:

BUREAU:

DETECTIVES: Changeling, foreign worries (Also expedition site) or general crime
COMMISSIONER: bureau loyalty, Midday Dew, or Shining Armor

FOLLOWERS:

Mareinette: Bits, or Heart Lesson, or Velvet Social (Filthy Rich? Comet?). Or, just a thought, we could send her to Canterlot in place of Axe, and instead have Axe teach us Knock or give us Wrong Keys...

Jade: Scrying for lvl 5 book, OR for Manuscripts, OR Memory of Light

Selene: Near certainly 2 training actions, but we COULD have her stay guard if we're worried? She's better than the Bureau's guards even as is.

I tried to include basically all potentially worthwhile actions.

but can she do "dream shenanigans" on cultists? You mentioned that Velvet no longer dreamed after learning the lores I think. Or was that only after getting Knock 3?

Just realized I forgot to add the generic "Scour Canterlot" action there, since anypony can do it. One moment while I add it.

Is Mareinette really unable to outdo Rarity's gift? She's a name! I'd expect she'd be able to make far more money than Rarity's gifts.

Just... I don't know, meet a few nobles and scam them of their money. Seduce one and get expensive gifts. It feels weird that you're saying we should not expect her to be able to make 60 bits, when 60 bits is an "average" wage.
That is why I want you all to specify the level of legality you want to adhere to.

And again, no comment on how much you might/might not get.

but can she do "dream shenanigans" on cultists? You mentioned that Velvet no longer dreamed after learning the lores I think. Or was that only after getting Knock 3?
Narratively? She can do dream stuff. Mechanically, not yet. Let's dip our toes into what Selene can do one hoof at a time.

Last edited:
I believe it was when we basically got the forced Mansus search. Learning the Lores locked off Heartsongs, IIRC.
not quite good enough, sadly. If this was next turn, she'd have potentially All-4 and I'd feel much better about it.
I keep seeing this but actually, no. Her lessons take effect at the end of the turn, and we can't do the All-4 lesson until after her lessons are done. So the soonest would be turn 21 if that last action resolves differently, or Turn 22 if not.

I keep seeing this but actually, no. Her lessons take effect at the end of the turn, and we can't do the All-4 lesson until after her lessons are done. So the soonest would be turn 21 if that last action resolves differently, or Turn 22 if not.
Turn 19: we do two lores. HOPEFULLY her third training action goes to either +5 or the third lore.

TURN 20: If she has done the last lore on her own, we can do All-4 with the first action, and then she can use that all-4 with the second action. If not, we need to use both actions for Realization + All-4, which means she can't do anything else (except the third training of her choice) until turn 21.

Basically USABLE all-4 is the best case scenario of turn 20 for her second action, IF she trains the last lore on her own.

Turn 19: we do two lores. HOPEFULLY her third training action goes to either +5 or the third lore.

TURN 20: If she has done the last lore on her own, we can do All-4 with the first action, and then she can use that all-4 with the second action. If not, we need to use both actions for Realization + All-4, which means she can't do anything else (except the third training of her choice) until turn 21.

Basically USABLE all-4 is the best case scenario of turn 20 for her second action, IF she trains the last lore on her own.
…Ah. I'm seeing the mistake you're making. You're assuming she just needs the Lores. This is incorrect.
Once Selene completes her training, she will be able to reach Level 4 in all of her Lores at the same time. That lesson will require an action from Velvet Covers, who must have the requisite Lore knowledge, and will grant Selene a further +1 total health and +5 to her General Bonus. As well, of course, as the upgrade in her personal Lore levels.
All 5 have to be done.

Either way, I will reiterate, the lessons do not resolve until the end of the turn. That should mean that whatever turn we give the All-4 on, it still shouldn't be usable until the turn after.

Also, I'll admit, I've been assuming the All-4 lesson doesn't actually use a Selene action, just a Velvet one.

Hmmm, a thought i just had. I wonder what someone could do with the Blood of the Wolf. There is only a small oceans worth of the stuff pouring into the remains of the Woods. Ritually this would be more pertinent if we were someone like Windy. A caustic blood grenade? Only a small chance of possession. May cause bouts of paranoia or suicidal ideations.

Imagine if there was a site underneath all that blood. You'd have to invent some kind of fully contained diving suit or a bell sphere just to get there. In a lake that actively hates you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back