• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

Exalted 3E Discussion

So, your glorious overlord has created yet another grand artifact!

Child's Lament - Orichalcum Reaper Daiklaive

Evocations of Child's Lament
A Solar that attunes to Child's Lament and knows any non-Ritual Sorcery spell may commit an additional 3 motes to Child's Lament and automatically awaken its first two Evocations for free, Essence-Gathering Momentum and Sorcerous Powering Light.

Essence-Gathering Momentum
Cost: - Mins: Essence 1
Type: Reflexive
Keywords: Withering Only
Duration: Instant
Prerequisite Charms: None
When the wielder of Child's Lament makes a successful withering attack, they may convert the successes rolled for damage dice of the attack into sorcerous motes, storing them in Child's Lament's blade. These sorcerous motes remain in the blade for the duration of combat and fades away afterwards. Each round Child's Lament is not used to attack, the blade loses three sorcerous motes at the end of the round.

Sorcerous Powering Light
Type: Supplemental
Keywords: None
When the wielder of Child's Lament takes a Shape Sorcery action, they may draw any number of sorcerous motes held within the blade of Child's Lament to power their spell, up to the total necessary to cast the spell or the maximum held within the blade. However, any sorcerous motes not used to cast the spell fade away whether or not the spell is cast successfully, leaving the blade empty.

Reaffirming Imperial Majesty
Type: Permanent
Should the wielder of Child's Lament drop a non-trivial opponent to their Incapacitated Health level with either a spell or a decisive attack, the Solar gains one temporary Willpower. They may not go over their permanent Willpower, nor may they can gain more than one Willpower from each opponent.

Raiment of Glory
Cost: 15sm Mins: Essence 2
Type: Simple
Keywords: Perilous
Duration: One scene
Prerequisite Charms: Sorcerous Powering Light
The Solar can expend 15 sorcerous motes from Child's Lament to use Raiment of Glory, cloaking himself in protective Essence. This Evocation grants the Solar a soak bonus equal to (Stamina + Occult) and a hardness bonus equal to (Occult). This soak and hardness does not count as armor, and is not compatible with armor. It is compatible with soak and hardness granted by Resistance Charms. Should the Solar enter Initiative Crash, Raiment of Glory ends.

Essence-Leeching Blade
Cost: 2m Mins: Essence 3
Type: Supplemental
Keywords: Withering-only
Prerequisite Charms: Raiment of Glory
When the wielder of Child's Lament makes a withering attack, they may activate Essence-Leeching Blade. When Essence-Leeching Blade is used, Child's Lament leeches away a number of motes from the target's Essence pool if they have one(taking from Peripheral before Personal) equal to the successes from the rolled damage dice of the attack or (Intelligence + Occult), whichever is lower. Half of the motes taken, rounded down, are given to the wielder of Child's Lament, and storing the other half of the leeched motes in the blade of Child's Lament as sorcerous motes. The attack then does no Initiative damage, giving only the one Initiative for landing a withering attack. Should the target not have enough motes in their Essence pool, the remainder of the damage dice successes are treated as regular Initiative damage. If the target has no motes or does not have an Essence pool, the damage dice successes are resolved normally.

Essence-Unravelling Blow
Cost: - Mins: Essence 3
Type: Permanent
Duration: Permanent
Prerequisite Charms: Essence-Gathering Momentum
This Evocation upgrades its prerequisite. Essence-Gathering Momentum no longer converts successes into sorcerous motes, instead dealing both initiative damage and gathering motes equal to the successes rolled on the damage dice of the withering attack.

Solar Destruction Burst
Cost: 10m, 2wp Mins: Essence 5
Type: Simple
Keywords: Decisive-Only
Prerequisite Charms: Essence-Leeching Blade, Essence-Unravelling Blow, Reaffirming Imperial Majesty
The greatest power of Child's Lament, and the reason for its name. Holding the sword aloft, the Essence contained within expoldes outward in countless searing rays of intense Solar Essence. Solar Destruction Burst is a decisive attack that uses (Intelligence + Occult) as its dice pool. The Solar rolls once, and compares the result to the Defense of every opponent within medium range, except for those he has a positive Tie towards. The damage pool of Solar Destruction Burst is not the Solar's initiative, it is the sorcerous motes stored within Child's Lament. The total motes held within Child's Lament is rolled against each opponent, and does Lethal damage or Aggravated damage against Creatures of Darkness.

Once Solar Destruction Burst has been used in a battle, it cannot be used again during that battle, and the Evocation Essence-Gathering Momentum ceases to function for a day.

It's not got a dot rating, as you can see. I'm curious as to what people will think its rating should be.

Interesting, and powerful if circumstantial thus why I would give it 4 dot rating in the artefact scale.

Care to elaborate on your reasoning for a 4 dot rating? I've shown it in other places, and gotten ratings of 5 dot and one particularly insistent person arguing for N/A.

Care to elaborate on your reasoning for a 4 dot rating? I've shown it in other places, and gotten ratings of 5 dot and one particularly insistent person arguing for N/A.
Simply. It's very handy for a sorcererer and a daiklave too. But only works when you have beings to slice up on hand. Without Daiklave promoting it it would be a handy 3 dot magic tool.

People rating it 5+ dots are quite silly and suffer from D&D syndrome of "Wizards are omnipotent!".

One! It only works when slicing live things on site. Needs prepared ahead stuff.
Two! It can serve as daiklave or as sorcery-boost, but not both at once.
Three! It is also having requirements of not having any other sorcery-boosting charms/merits taken.

Simply. It's very handy for a sorcererer and a daiklave too. But only works when you have beings to slice up on hand. Without Daiklave promoting it it would be a handy 3 dot magic tool.

People rating it 5+ dots are quite silly and suffer from D&D syndrome of "Wizards are omnipotent!".

The people I've seen rating it at 5+ point out that a large hit or two can allow you to immediately cast a decisive spell the next turn, which can do a lot of damage to a lot of people. Which is kind of the point of this sword, given the capstone.

One! It only works when slicing live things on site. Needs prepared ahead stuff.

I don't understand the 'prepared ahead of time' part of this. It doesn't need anything prepared ahead of time.

Two! It can serve as daiklave or as sorcery-boost, but not both at once.
Well, it does serve the function of beating people down, but it's your gain that is curtailed by converting the gains into sorcerous motes.

Three! It is also having requirements of not having any other sorcery-boosting charms/merits taken.

Again, I don't understand this part. It doesn't interfere with anything else, that I know of.

Also, I've been working on the sword, taken advice from others on word choice and such. http://pastebin.com/PCvifL0s wall always be the latest version of the sword.

The people I've seen rating it at 5+ point out that a large hit or two can allow you to immediately cast a decisive spell the next turn, which can do a lot of damage to a lot of people. Which is kind of the point of this sword, given the capstone.
Casting spells when in combat, at least as far as I understand Exalted combat engine, is asking to be shanked as smallest disturbance can end up with disrupted spell. Benefit, in my opinion, balances nicely with risks taken and the necessary things place it neatly in "nearly world shaking wonder" category.

I don't understand the 'prepared ahead of time' part of this. It doesn't need anything prepared ahead of time.
Let's compare it to sacrificial dagger. To have oomph you need sacrifices.

Well, it does serve the function of beating people down, but it's your gain that is curtailed by converting the gains into sorcerous motes.
Best wizard wand to cast FIST!;)

Again, I don't understand this part. It doesn't interfere with anything else, that I know of.
The version of Child's Lament that i read ... few hours ago, implied that it teaches the firs two Evocations free if sorcerer is: Solar, doesn't have another +sorcery motes Merit/Charm. I read it wrong?

Also, I've been working on the sword, taken advice from others on word choice and such. http://pastebin.com/PCvifL0s wall always be the latest version of the sword.
Ok, I used the version wich was apparently out-dated to do my small review.

The version of Child's Lament that i read ... few hours ago, implied that it teaches the firs two Evocations free if sorcerer is: Solar, doesn't have another +sorcery motes Merit/Charm. I read it wrong?

The first Evocation is awoken for free if the Solar commits extra motes and knows one non-Ritual Sorcery spell. They don't need any other Merits or Charms.

Doublepost!

http://pastebin.com/PCvifL0s

Development has continued. Powers have been edited, some are gone, some are new. Child's Lament is now a wrackstaff instead of a daiklaive. The staff's theme has grown tighter, and it's more balanced.

Give it a read, and tell me what you think now. :)

I totes approve of Irongut Vixen on principle. Foxes are justice!:)

As a kid, she was a bit rough. But as an adult, she seemed to be fairly refined, or at least not wild. Vixen is still wild.
Um, as far as I understand she was sweet only to her hubby. Everyone else went out of their way to appease her horrible temper. She was feared more for being Kushina Uzumaki than for being vessel of Big Scary Fox.

Um, as far as I understand she was sweet only to her hubby. Everyone else went out of their way to appease her horrible temper. She was feared more for being Kushina Uzumaki than for being vessel of Big Scary Fox.

When she was a kid, yes. I don't recall that ever being a thing when she was an adult, and I've read every chapter of Naruto.

When she was a kid, yes. I don't recall that ever being a thing when she was an adult, and I've read every chapter of Naruto.
Hard to say anything definitively since we don't see much of her in the manga, but it seems like even as an adult she has outbursts of temper, though she's more calm and sweet the rest of the time. See her punching Naruto when he mistakes her for the Kyuubi in ch. 498, page 2.

Punching-Naruto.jpg

Though I haven't seen it, her personality is apparently also like that in the Road to Ninja movie.

Hard to say anything definitively since we don't see much of her in the manga, but it seems like even as an adult she has outbursts of temper, though she's more calm and sweet the rest of the time. See her punching Naruto when he mistakes her for the Kyuubi in ch. 498, page 2.

True, but it's not her default state. She has to be worked into it. And, I imagine being confused for the Kyuubi is a special sore spot for her, given how jinchuuriki are commonly seen AND getting it from her own son, another junchuuriki who should know better.

Vixen is always that tempermental.

Though I haven't seen it, her personality is apparently also like that in the Road to Ninja movie.

Me neither. I quit watching the anime around the time Konoha was levelled by Pein.

True, but it's not her default state. She has to be worked into it. And, I imagine being confused for the Kyuubi is a special sore spot for her, given how jinchuuriki are commonly seen AND getting it from her own son, another junchuuriki who should know better.
Well, actually, confusing her for the Kyuubi made her laugh, what really set her off was Naruto saying in response "What an uncouth laugh! You think you can fool me by disguising yourself as a woman?" So...
And she will hit you with a frying pan if you dare imply otherwise.
What he said :D

In the first place, I didn't mean to imply that adult Kushina was as wild as Vixen, I was saying that she's still not exactly what I'd call refined. Relatively speaking Kushina is more refined than Vixen. She's actually a great cook, for example.

Bah. Vixen is, if she wants, better cook than Kushina. SFY for you.

Though I admit that my initial impression of Kushina is darkened by her endless torture of Kurama, the Kyuubi. Take note that it was BEFORE the whole Kyuubi attack on Leaf Village. Wich, in hindsight, was kind of self-fulfilling prophecy.
Kushina tortured Kyuubi for "reasons" and the fox turned stupid enough from all that to buy into Madara's Sharingan Hypnosis easily.

On the other hand, Biju are fucking immortal and kind of re-assemble when destroyed. What were that woman thinking by torturing one of these critters into insanity and hate-boner against her village?

Lastly Vixen is a fox, and Kushina is an woman who tortured a fox innocently. *Shakes newspaper at Kushina*

Relatively speaking Kushina is more refined than Vixen. She's actually a great cook, for example.

That's what I meant. Refined in comparison. Vixen is a horrible cook, if it wasn't spelled out. The first part of her name comes from the fact that she's the only one that can eat her cooking, and a lot of other questionable things too.

Also, her kids knew very well what getting smacked upside the head felt like, like Kushina did to Naruto. Vixen just wasn't Superwoman at the time, so her kids just grumbled about it very quietly.

Though I admit that my initial impression of Kushina is darkened by her endless torture of Kurama, the Kyuubi.

Er, what? I don't remember any of this.

Er, what? I don't remember any of this.
I remember reading about how Kushina "improved" the Jinchuriki Seal on herself. Wich included, for the Biju, being impaled by all arms and legs to a piece of rock. Add chains. In the imaginary space where Naruto was meeting his prisoner.

Posted this on 4chan and I'd thought I'd post it here as well. It's just a mad ramble about 3e Infernals that I thought about while driving today.

I really like Infernals so here's my thoughts about what I want out of 3e Infernals. The biggest with what I want out of 3e Infernals is that they would have to be the core Exalted in which everything is based around. Plus the massive amounts of charms.

I got introduced to Exalted back in I think 2013. When the Kickstarter was already going on. I got introduced to Exalted through fanfiction. Starting with EarthScorpion's A Green Sun Illuminates the Void and then other crossovers mostly involving character getting Infernal Exaltations. I read about all the cool things they could do like their green acid like fire.

So basically I got introduced to Exalted through Infernals when 2e was finished. Going over the material and stuff I've come to the conclusion I don't think I would have liked them If I had been playing since 2e began and my introduction was solely through their core book. I say this because what I like most about Infernals comes from The Broken Winged Crane and all of the fan written charms for the other Yozi. I admit that I don't particularly like the Caste Yozi though I admit that I really like a lot of SWLIHN's charms. Hegra, Elloge, Oramus, Metagaos, and the others all have really cool charms and themes that I love way more than those that belong to the five core Caste Yozi. Though I admit I also like how much of a backstabbing dick the Ebon Dragon can be.

Then there's two more things that I really love about Infernals that come from The Broken Winged Crane. One is the concept of Heretical Charms. The idea of taking parts of concepts belonging to different Yozi then fusing them and making an entirely new charm that only Infernals can use is awesome. Then the second thing I love from Broken Winged Crane is of course Devil-Tigers. Transcending your humanity and becoming your Primordial that unlike the Yozi is not bound, crippled, or inflexible as they are. Seriously, Devil-Tigers are awesome.

So moving on to Infernals in 3e. I both like and dislike the idea of the Infernals being ability based. On one hand it makes things so much similar and easier. But at the same time I'm worried about losing access to Yozi charms. But I suppose it could work. The preview charms look okay. Ideally they'll have charms calling on the abilities of Yozi other than just Malfeas, Cecelyne, SWLIHN, Adorjan, and the Ebon Dragon. Though it's probably not going to happen considering the massive charm bloat that would cause plus all the overlapping. I just really want to harness the power of the Yozi.

I did float the idea of instead of having access to Solar Circle sorcery they have an alternate Yozi themed sorcery circle or something.

Maybe if anyone is still playing Exalted when Infernals come out 50 years from now they'll write a bunch of charms reflecting all the cool Yozi like Hegra, Elloge, Oramus, and Metagaos.

I just really want 3e Infernals to have the ability to become Devil-Tiger or something like it. That was my favorite part of Infernals and what really drew me to them. It reminded me of becoming a Daemon Prince in Warhammer but better. Maybe

The new Shintai stuff looks really cool. Maybe it's the answer to my desire for Devil-Tigers. Somehow it will eventually let you become something like one. Even if it doesn't the new Shintai stuff is interesting.

Of course the main issue with a lot of this stuff is not to make them way more powerful than Solars which are of course the main Exalted type.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back