• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

Gendered nouns, nonstandard and otherwise

Status
Not open for further replies.
vyor, if you're confused by a person's response, please consider that one or both of you might be communicating poorly before you start using phrases like "simply wrong" and "then you're an idiot."
I agree, this is after all a writing forum. In a debate or discussion you have to act or pretend to be more civilized then your opponent, if you going to disagree with a person's PoV of the subject at hand, then you must never act openly dismissive or hostile but be more subtle in calling the person a idiot.

So try to keep this classy, people and be subtle.

vyor, if you're confused by a person's response, please consider that one or both of you might be communicating poorly before you start using phrases like "simply wrong" and "then you're an idiot."

In this case, I strongly suspect that each of you was thinking of something different when using the word "biology," and assuming that the other was also using it in that way.

I am using it based on it's definition. If he/she isn't then there is something very wrong.

I agree, this is after all a writing forum. In a debate or discussion you have to act or pretend to be more civilized then your opponent, if you going to disagree with a person's PoV of the subject at hand, then you must never act openly dismissive or hostile but be more subtle in calling the person a idiot.

So try to keep this classy, people and be subtle.

I said then, I even bolded it! It was an if;then statement, no different than saying that if you think a computer is magic, you are an idiot.

That people would be intelligent when trying to debate? That people would use words how they are meant to?
That a word only has a single meaning, independent of context. For example, I doubt you meant that the academic study of life sciences influences someone's personality or controls people's brains.

You are calling the guy an idiot here, you do realize that right?
Nope! Unless you've got some other assumption feeding into that conclusion that I've missed or that you didn't state:

(1) Since Valette uses nonstandard gender pronouns, I'd hesitate to refer to zeir as a guy;
(2) see above regarding fluidity of meaning.

That a word only has a single meaning, independent of context. For example, I doubt you meant that the academic study of life sciences influences someone's personality or controls people's brains.

A word only has a single meaning depending on the context. After all, I doubt they were referring to that either.

Nope! Unless you've got some other assumption feeding into that conclusion that I've missed or that you didn't state:

You called me niave for assuming that someone would be using the proper definition of a word, ergo, they wouldn't use the proper definition of a word and are thus rather dumb.

(1) Since Valette uses nonstandard gender pronouns, I'd hesitate to refer to zeir them as a guy;

I, and others, use that word to refer to both genders. Also, FTFY. I don't care if you think that's a valid word, I fixed your god damned grammar!:mad:

(2) see above regarding fluidity of meaning.

I don't even know what the hell you mean here.

A word only has a single meaning depending on the context. After all, I doubt they were referring to that either.
And it's possible for different speakers to interpret the context in a discourse differently, leading to misunderstandings not based on idiocy or disregard for the meaning of a word. This is my basic point. [Edit: It seems like you're rejecting the concept of ambiguity in discourse. Are you?]

Surely you remember this sort of scenario playing out before. One person thinks you mean one thing when you actually meant another, and speaks; on the assumption that they understood your meaning properly the first time, you believe they mean something they didn't, and thus respond in a way that seems nonsensical to them. Rinse and repeat, and before long two perfectly reasonable people each think they're talking to an imbecile.

You called me naive for assuming that someone would be using the proper definition of a word, ergo, they wouldn't use the proper definition of a word and are thus rather dumb.
You misinterpreted my statement. (Does this count as ironic, given what we're discussing?) I meant that it was naive to assume that misunderstandings based on the usage of a word could only arise if "something [was] very wrong," - a vague phrase which I admit I made certain assumptions about. It seemed to imply that you believed that the meaning you intended for a word, including all of its implications, would always be clear to a reasonable person of at least average intellect debating in good faith. That's the viewpoint I meant to call out as naive.

I, and others, use that word to refer to both genders.
I feel that when referring to a specific person of known gender, most of the so-called gender neutral terms currently available in English lose their neutrality. I'd be fine with "Valette lost their train of thought" (but would avoid it because of Valette's well-known preference), but not "Valette's a great guy." In the case of a specific individual of known gender, 'guy' indicates a male to my ear.

And it's possible for different speakers to interpret the context in a discourse differently, leading to misunderstandings not based on idiocy or disregard for the meaning of a word. This is my basic point.

Surely you remember this sort of scenario playing out before. One person thinks you mean one thing when you actually meant another, and speaks; you think they mean something they didn't, and respond in a way that seems nonsensical to them. Rinse and repeat, and before long two perfectly reasonable people each think they're talking to an imbecile.

So... nothing to do with the discussion then? Good talk!

You misinterpreted my statement. (Does this count as ironic, given what we're discussing?) I meant that it was naive to assume that misunderstandings based on the usage of a word could only arise if "something [was] very wrong," - a vague phrase which I admit I made certain assumptions about. It seemed to imply that you believed that the meaning you intended for a word, including all of its implications, would always be clear to a reasonable person of at least average intellect debating in good faith. That's the viewpoint I meant to call out as naive.

The context was far to clear for that. "Biology does not affect gender." That was the statement, now, tell me what possible definition they could be using that doesn't refer to the human body and it's workings.

I feel that when referring to a specific person of known gender, most of the so-called gender neutral terms currently available in English lose their neutrality. I'd be fine with "Valette lost their train of thought" (but would avoid it because of Valette's well-known preference), but not "Valette's a great guy." In the case of a specific individual of known gender, 'guy' indicates a male to my ear.

You are the first person I have ever heard of with this problem.

So... nothing to do with the discussion then? Good talk!
I assume you're coming to this conclusion because you believe the context in this case was only interpretable in a single fashion? If so, this is part of what I see as a naive approach to discussion and ambiguity. If not, I apologize and confess myself confused.

The context was far to clear for that. "Biology does not affect gender." That was the statement, now, tell me what possible definition they could be using that doesn't refer to the human body and it's workings.
This is where I'd prefer to let Valette clarify, rather than try to put words in zeir mouth. By the way, I also suspect that "affect" is being used differently than you're understanding it.

And this is the part where I walk from this dissuasion then, if you can't acted civilized in a discussion or debate then you're nothing more but a neo-savage debater.

That is a mere dime a dozen before they are banned, But that would be a compliment by today's standards or possibly yours...... I'll be generous and call you a dirty penny.
He didn't call you an idiot, though, unless you believe that a computer is magic, or that someone's personality isn't based solely on their brain.

C'mon, the guy's being more than a little bit of a douche, but you guys are going out of your way to be obtuse and focus on what is so very obviously not the point he was making.

It's a tactic that hurts your position a lot more than it hurts his.

I think I may have actually completely lost the thread of conversation now. There's something about biology, and gender, and brains...

Last edited by a moderator:
Just out of curiosity, what do you suppose my position to be?
Officially, you seem to insist that you don't have one. But behaviorally? You have clear favoritism, based upon use of more hostile language toward certain posters than others, and a tendency to defend certain posters but not others based upon no notable virtue other than you seeming to like them better.

It's a pretty clear bias. I can go archive dive to find examples, but I'm editing and posting chapter and then going to bed (after refreshing 800 times to see what early comments I get) so it'll have to wait until tomorrow. Unless someone else shows examples first.

Officially, you seem to insist that you don't have one. But behaviorally? You have clear favoritism, based upon use of more hostile languages toward certain posters than others, and a tendency to defend certain posters but not others based upon no notable virtue.
You haven't actually answered my question, and I asked because I feel like you think I'm arguing a point when I do things like point out what one of my favorite ambiguous sentences is. That post had nothing to do with any argument that may be going on; I just like ambiguous sentences.

I repeat myself: I will go archive diving later to give you proper examples. Am busy now. Be patient.

Was I out of place with vyor and did he actually call me a idiot that i felt no choice but to rebuke his seemingly Neo-Savage actions that is so common today?

One of my favorites is "I shot the man with the gun."
"I will clip these two tickets."

Am I going to cut paper off of the tickets with scissors, or am I going to attach them to each other with a paperclip?
"He ran outside to chase after the cat with a broomstick in his underwear" is my personal favorite ambiguous sentence.

Context is a wonderful thing isn't it? Oh, and I highly doubt that a cat has underwear, or can carry a broomstick. Not ambiguous.

This is where I'd prefer to let Valette clarify, rather than try to put words in zeir mouth. By the way, I also suspect that "affect" is being used differently than you're understanding it.

So... you can't actually do it? You're just going to completely ignore my argument? God damn you are an ass.

Was I out of place with vyor and did he actually call me a idiot that i felt no choice but to rebuke his seemingly Neo-Savage actions that is so common today?

Where the fuck did I call you an idiot?

Can I just say that the only part of this page I can even understand at all is peperjack's explanation of ambiguity?

So... you can't actually do it? You're just going to completely ignore my argument? God damn you are an ass.

He is an ass for not trying to read another poster's mind?

I repeat myself: I will go archive diving later to give you proper examples. Am busy now. Be patient.
But favoring posters isn't a position, its just a bias. Those are different things aren't they?

That would be me :)

And that is misrepresenting what I said. What I said was either the people who use them are trying to seek attention and make themselves appear as something special (most of what we see on tumblr, basically, with this these folks) or the people who sincerely believe this shit have a mental illness of some sort, given their brains by all accounts are abnormal and don't function the way they should that they feel the need to refer to themselves with special-snowflake pronouns.

Eh, thats really insulting. Like really really insulting. People can have different brains with out it being an illness.

I mean you could use the same argument to say that anyone who posts to a web forum is mental ill.

Also, I can't read this as describing anything other than a string of actions performed by the same individual. If you misread the thread and thought this all came from the same poster, it's fine to admit it. If not, I suppose you just expressed yourself very poorly.
Nah, doesn't read like that to me, I think he expressed him self just fine. Referring to multiple people's actions collectively is not that unusual a thing.

Ah. So you were accidentally being a jackass, instead of intentionally?
Conversations drift..that isn't really being a jackass to me. This isn't a formal debate.

Last edited:
Sorry about that. I try to edit, but forgot this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back