• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

General chat thread

Hello Y'all. I'm new to QQ (and the quest scene in general).
I heard that SFW quests don't do well here (unless possible violence, gore & death is considered NSFW). Any possible way I can attract new viewers for my quest? Sorry if this is the wrong forum. I'm kinda lost :/
It's a kingdom-builder set in a medievalesque fantasy world. I've been working on the world-building and Chapter 1 (7.5k words) for the past 4 months. Pretty excited to see how it does here!
It generally helps if you post a link.
After that, I'm sure some people will at least check it out to see if it interests them.

It generally helps if you post a link.
After that, I'm sure some people will at least check it out to see if it interests them.

Good point. Thanks for the Tip.

https://forum.questionablequesting.com/threads/kalinland.17688/#post-5327379

Kalinland is a kingdom-building 'Quest' set in a medievalesque fantasy world.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You, Yorat of house Kalinvan, have ascended the throne in a time of uncertainty and crises.

To the north, migrating tribes of a strange species bring terror to the hearts of your people. And to the south, an emerging empire threatens the region's stability. But within, there is danger of another kind. A danger that lurks in the shadows and strikes when the iron is hot. A danger of intrigue and ambition. A danger that may very well be your unending.

How will you navigate through these troubling times? Will you be the stuff of stories or but a footnote in the annals of history?

What's that pose called where you pull your leg up above your head while standing on the other leg?

On a lark I watched the first episode of Arcane this weekend. Ended up binging the show nonstop. What a fuckin masterpiece, absolutely amazing. Holy shit was that a ride, there wasnt a single moment where I didn't care about what was happening.

It's a shame I couldn't give a shit about LoL outside of the show, and an even bigger one that season 2 won't be for a couple more years.

It's in the summary itself. First line.
*Reads the description*

How the actual fuck do you interpret 'Auron's life sucks, so here's a story where he hooks up with Rikku' as dark.

I mean, I can't claim I'm inspired to confidence about the writing quality based upon said description... but still... unless Rikku gets murdered in the middle of riding his dick, the only 'hard men making hard decisions' I'm seeing here is Auron deciding which hole to finish in.

And as problems to have go, it's one I doubt I'm alone in saying I want.

Last edited:
Honestly I really feel the description doesn't do it justice.

It was pretty much the standard I held every other thing I read for a good few years after I first read it, which I went and did again the moment I finished it.

Unfortunately it's unfinished and dead, just a bit after the Act/Part 1 which ended with the thing in Zanarkand Ruins. Also somewhat AU, expanding the lore and characters in interesting ways.

Still, it's been a good while since I last read it, so apply salt as you wish.
Though, I think I'll do a reread at some point soon...

Edit: Also, the first chapter is uh, not exactly indicative of the rest of the fic. It was written while the author was still planning on making just Auron focused fic with all the doom and gloom his existence is, but then he thought of making it an Auron/Rikku fic and the style started changing.

But yeah, I fully acknowledge not wanting to read more if you're not interested after/during the first chapter.
I've dropped fics before finishing the first chapter, so got no stones to throw :V

Last edited:
The summary puts me off. Hard Man in Hard world sounds like some edgelord nonsense.

*Reads the description*

How the actual fuck do you interpret 'Auron's life sucks, so here's a story where he hooks up with Rikku' as dark.

Im very confused. The description is literally:

"Auron is a hard man in a hard world. He has a job to do and he can't let anyone or anything get in his way. Can anyone bring light back into his dark world?"

Without having read any of the story, I'm gonna be honest and say the line "Auron is a hard man in a hard world" does seem kinda edgy.

Real question is, where the hell did you get dark from?

"Auron is a hard man in a hard world. He has a job to do and he can't let anyone or anything get in his way. Can anyone bring light back into his dark world?"

I like how you clearly chose to be a disingenuous little liar by leaving out the rest of the description.

The whole thing reads as follows:

"Auron is a hard man in a hard world. He has a job to do and he can't let anyone or anything get in his way. Can anyone bring light back into his dark world? Now aurikku. Follows the game, but pretty AU now."

Which, following the game means it's... as dark as the game... which, granted, X wasn't exactly sunshine and kittens, but it was solidly in the 'good guys stand victorious in the end and don't have to do anything particularly horrible to get there' camp.

And 'aurikku' means its a freakin Auron/Rikku slashfic.

I anticipate it to be a hurt/comfort fic.

Real question is, where the hell did you get dark from?
The 'hard men making hard decisions' is one of many genre conventions that fall under the 'dark' umbrella.

I like how you clearly chose to be a disingenuous little liar by leaving out the rest of the description.

The whole thing reads as follows:

"Auron is a hard man in a hard world. He has a job to do and he can't let anyone or anything get in his way. Can anyone bring light back into his dark world? Now aurikku. Follows the game, but pretty AU now."

Sorry, I didn't know what an aurikku was because I don't care about final fantasy. I thought that part of the description was just a "hey I'm reposting this" piece. Didn't mean to come across as a "disingenuous little liar".

Dickwad.

Doing even the most basic of research makes you far less likely to say dumb shit.

I'lol be sure to use scholar.google next time and cite my sources so I don't make a fool of myself on the internet. Holy fucking Christ, how could I portray myself as such an idiot by not googling a ship name? My reputation is ruined.

If we're done cherry picking the retarded shit in our replies, the main message I meant to say was, "Yes, the phrase 'hard man in a hard world' does indeed sound kind of edgy." Sorry to irritate you.

Hi very confused, I'm TheMidnightRook

:p

Lmao

Holy fucking Christ, how could I portray myself as such an idiot by not googling a ship name?
Ah, again with being disingenuous, this time ignoring the sentence right before the one you focus on. And this time you have zilch excuse.

If the description wasn't enough, it's also in the tags.

Dear God, dude. At least pretend to try.

If we're done cherry picking the retarded shit in our replies
If you stop cherry-picking in general, you'd look less retarded.

the main message I meant to say was, "Yes, the phrase 'hard man in a hard world' does indeed sound kind of edgy.
It does, until you read the rest of the description. And then it sounds like Generic Hurt/Comfort Fic #8 digits long.

Auron is a hard man in a hard world. He has a job to do and he can't let anyone or anything get in his way.
Long experience has me thinking that this means "Auron is an extremely evil and hypocritically self righteous engine of war crimes and brutality massacring and torturing cartoonishly evil cardboard cutouts that fold like napkins as soon as he opposes them"
Can anyone bring light back into his dark world?
With this part meaning "Can he get sum fuk from a barely sapient woman shaped bundle of good housewife tropes?"

Now, I know nothing about the specific franchises involved, so I might be wrong, but experience tells me that nothing with a summary like that is worth spending any time on.

Now, I know nothing about the specific franchises involved, so I might be wrong, but experience tells me that nothing with a summary like that is worth spending any time on.
Well, the characters in the actual game are basically nothing like your assumption... Auron's a stoic alcoholic monk... that ends up taking a fatherly role with the rest of the party. What with being multiple decades older than most of the rest of the cast and having been friends with the core MCs' fathers.

And while he does indeed slaughter his way through countless enemies... they're mostly just random monsters like all Final Fantasy games.

I think he only ever participates in the killing of one living sapient being... and that was all sorts of self defense.

cartoonishly evil cardboard cutouts
Which, well, it is a Final Fantasy game. They have a quota on nihilistic psychos in that series.

With this part meaning "Can he get sum fuk
Yeah, pretty much...

barely sapient woman shaped bundle of good housewife tropes?"
The game version of Rikku is the 'hyperactive gearhead/thief' tropes. Her special ability is mixing chemicals together to make IEDs. She's also, like, sixteen or something. Maybe younger. Certainly acts younger.

experience tells me that nothing with a summary like that is worth spending any time on.
No, I'm about 180% sure you're right. Considering the massive amount of OOC you'd have to shove into that pair to make them romantically compatible... yeah... no. Just. No.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back