• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

General chat thread

Not a JJK fan, but I just learned the main villain (a bodyjumper) spent years living as the MCs mom (and seemingly birthed him) because his dad's dick game was too good.

I just thought that was fucking hilarious.

So I'm debating on whether to continue a fic of mine due to canon having twists that hurt one of the central emotional points of the fic. I've asked people on the on the FanFiction subreddit and on this site what to do and they say I should keep chugging along and ignore canon. However, one individual on this site says what I've previously said and that I should scrap it and make a reboot of it that fits with current canon.

I just……..don't know what to do anymore? :confused:

Can't You just simply have your MC change canon?

I mean that's what most fanfics are about isn't it?

Changing things from canon to have a better happy ending, save characters who died, make sure the ship You want actually take place, things like that...

Daytripper
Is it your story or is it not? You've got to direct it the way you think fits what you want to tell.

This is something that happens regularly to professionals too. Why are there so many continuities in Marvel and DC? Think about Star Wars too, some stories are only vaguely canon because of contradictions. It's not the end of the world.

More generally, most adaptations take liberties. Spielberg's Jurassic Park has some big changes from Michael Crichton's book. I wouldn't say it's a necessary evil, because it's not evil at all if the author adapting the works know what they're doing.

That's why I ask, do you have a strong vision of what you want to tell? Listen to it.

Daytripper
Is it your story or is it not? You've got to direct it the way you think fits what you want to tell.

This is something that happens regularly to professionals too. Why are there so many continuities in Marvel and DC? Think about Star Wars too, some stories are only vaguely canon because of contradictions. It's not the end of the world.

More generally, most adaptations take liberties. Spielberg's Jurassic Park has some big changes from Michael Crichton's book. I wouldn't say it's a necessary evil, because it's not evil at all if the author adapting the works know what they're doing.

That's why I ask, do you have a strong vision of what you want to tell? Listen to it.
I'm just worried about conflicting with lore.

Hi, I am new to QQ. How can I see tags of a story?

In AO3, we can see and filter the tags. Is there a similar way here

Near the top, you can click the 'tag cloud' thing. That opens up a search option as well as convenient view of the most popular tags.

And if you click a story, you can see what tags it has at the top, should the writer opt to use them.

I don't know of any more robust system on this site, but I could be wrong.

Last edited:

In AO3, we can see and filter the tags. Is there a similar way here
if a story uses tags they're found inside the story thread near the top of the page, under the title of the thread. might be different on some styles, but I couldn't say since I've only used Flexile Dark for so long.
XoEJGfBp.png
as far as I know there's no way to filter tags

Sometimes you think because you know, everyone knows. Then you get reminded that they don't.

So remember this:

A peppermint in your mouth will keep your eyes from stinging so much while cutting onions.

Learned that at my first job (Sonic) while cutting onion rings. First time was torture- we usually cut something like 100 onions at a time to fill up a huge trash-can full of rings before... someone else battered them so they were ready to fry. I never did that part, but I got sent to cut pretty frequently. But someone told me about the peppermint trick and they had a big bin full they gave away free to customers and didn't mind if we snitched a few.

Funny conversation I had with the boss one day:

"Hey Scygnus, do you wanna go cut some onion rings?"

"Nah, not really."

He turned to me with the most confused expression, like he couldn't process what I'd just said at all. I just smiled at him until he got it and smiled back.

"Go cut some onion rings."

"Yessir."

Sometimes you think because you know, everyone knows. Then you get reminded that they don't.

So remember this:

A peppermint in your mouth will keep your eyes from stinging so much while cutting onions.

Learned that at my first job (Sonic) while cutting onion rings. First time was torture- we usually cut something like 100 onions at a time to fill up a huge trash-can full of rings before... someone else battered them so they were ready to fry. I never did that part, but I got sent to cut pretty frequently. But someone told me about the peppermint trick and they had a big bin full they gave away free to customers and didn't mind if we snitched a few.

How the hell does that work? My understanding is that the sting is caused by the conversion of the fumes given off by the onion into acid on contact with water (like on your eyes) which then irritates the sensitive membranes around the eye. How are mints fucking with the nerve receptors around your eyes to prevent that?

How the hell does that work? My understanding is that the sting is caused by the conversion of the fumes given off by the onion into acid on contact with water (like on your eyes) which then irritates the sensitive membranes around the eye. How are mints fucking with the nerve receptors around your eyes to prevent that?

Haven't the foggiest, I just know it worked.

If I had a single dollar for every time that I ran into a solution which "just worked" to some random problem, I could retire today to a life of luxury.

Dammit Jim, I'm (was) a fry cook, not a doctor.

If you can figure out why, more power to you, but I have neither the skills nor the inclination to figure it out.

I mean, I can theorize all day. Could be the released gas from the peppermint somehow blocking what's coming from the onion, either from your nose, mouth, or even within your sinus passages somehow.

But I'm not a doctor, so I have no way to find out unless Google somehow has the answer somewhere. I haven't looked.

According to this article, two of the methods listed (chewing gum or a piece of bread) work by forcing you to breathe with your mouth open which causes you to breathe in the irritants from the onion before it reaches your eyes

The Navy had an expression for that situation: "If it's stupid, and it works, then it's not stupid."
I've heard a slightly more nuanced take on that, which more clarifies the point.

"If it's stupid and it works once, you got lucky. If it's stupid and it works consistently, it isn't stupid."

I refuse to read any forum post longer than five lines unless either the topic really interests me, or the poster does.

I refuse to read any forum post longer than five lines unless either the topic really interests me, or the poster does.
Aka "I got called out for pushing lies, so I go to the chat thread to whine!". If you peddle unsubstantiated BS about a very real ethnicity and historical nation-state, don't act surprised when someone presents you with the actual truth.

For those not in the know, in the "General isekai discussion/brainstorming/whatever thread" Treble claimed the Mongol Empire was basically a horde of savages that constantly killed their own family and countrymen, even going so far as say they were "legendary" for patricide, and couldn't get a stable state together even if they tried, when, in reality, kinslaying was really damn rare when compared to royals in the European and Arabic spheres while inter-tribal rivalries were basically a thing of the past under the Empire, and the various Khanates stuck around for over a century at the minimum (Main Mongol Empire/Yuan Dynasty ) to even over four centuries (Chagatai Khanate).

Aka "I got called out for pushing lies, so I go to the chat thread to whine!". If you peddle unsubstantiated BS about a very real ethnicity and historical nation-state, don't act surprised when someone presents you with the actual truth.

For those not in the know, in the "General isekai discussion/brainstorming/whatever thread" Treble claimed the Mongol Empire was basically a horde of savages that constantly killed their own family and countrymen, even going so far as say they were "legendary" for patricide, and couldn't get a stable state together even if they tried, when, in reality, kinslaying was really damn rare when compared to royals in the European and Arabic spheres while inter-tribal rivalries were basically a thing of the past under the Empire, and the various Khanates stuck around for over a century at the minimum (Main Mongol Empire/Yuan Dynasty ) to even over four centuries (Chagatai Khanate).
Good Lord, are you still on about that?

Watching the 5th episode of Solo Leveling re-ignite my burning hatred for "ranking system"... in isekai/medieval/fantasy fictions anyway.

It sometimes feels like I'm having to redo large swaths of worldbuilding because the changes I made last time just weren't generic enough to be reusable. All those small tweaks slowly accumulate in the back of my mind until suddenly I have enough original concepts to make a few new projects out of. Some of which end up being so divergent from their source material that I decide to fully develop them into original works.
The effort I've put into laundering my fanworks seems to be developing into its own skillset; I find myself reflexively breaking up big sprawling IPs into modular units and filing off the serial numbers. A few months ago, I added a [Generic-Knockoffs] section to my project folder, and it got me wondering if that was a common thing to have; does anyone else have one of those? Is there a thread for this kind of stuff?

It sometimes feels like I'm having to redo large swaths of worldbuilding because the changes I made last time just weren't generic enough to be reusable. All those small tweaks slowly accumulate in the back of my mind until suddenly I have enough original concepts to make a few new projects out of. Some of which end up being so divergent from their source material that I decide to fully develop them into original works.
The effort I've put into laundering my fanworks seems to be developing into its own skillset; I find myself reflexively breaking up big sprawling IPs into modular units and filing off the serial numbers. A few months ago, I added a [Generic-Knockoffs] section to my project folder, and it got me wondering if that was a common thing to have.
Does anyone else have one of those? Is their a thread for this stuff?
I think that would be what you get when you search by genre around here. I know there is a thread dedicated to "Isekai in general" on this website somewhere, as one example. If your semi-original ideas can be fit in a genre, even if only broadly, start there.

I think that would be what you get when you search by genre around here. I know there is a thread dedicated to "Isekai in general" on this website somewhere, as one example. If your semi-original ideas can be fit in a genre, even if only broadly, start there.
Their mostly world building projects rather then stories, I was thinking about something more like the [General CYOA] thread but I'm mostly just curious about how common this type of thing is.

The effort I've put into laundering my fanworks seems to be developing into its own skillset; I find myself reflexively breaking up big sprawling IPs into modular units and filing off the serial numbers. A few months ago, I added a [Generic-Knockoffs] section to my project folder, and it got me wondering if that was a common thing to have; does anyone else have one of those? Is there a thread for this kind of stuff?

I'd participate.

The main difficulty may be finding the right level of abstraction for communication.

E.g. if you're worldbuilding for an RPG, then the game system is going to impose itself on the discussion and frame your mechanics for you, but for fiction it's not clear what is a block nor where the scope should be limited.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back