• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

General chat thread

Dunno if it's just the coffee talking, but sometimes I wonder if maybe in a more just world, I'd have been killed at birth?

I know it sounds dramatic, and I have zero regrets about being alive (and hope to remain so for as long as possible), but there's just something about my life that makes me wonder if I've been a net negative to the world*. And whether maybe it's a cold equation.

*in whatever infinitesimal way I can affect it, of course. I am merely a speck
Real talk? There's honestly no way to know. I mean, how do you even judge if a person is a net negative or positive to the world at large without them doing some huge dramatic act that publicly and unequivocally demonstrates the case?

For instance, I made lunch for the residents as a volunteer at the Ronald McDonald House today, which is a good thing. Does that outweigh bad things I've done? If so, how many bad things?

Real talk? There's honestly no way to know. I mean, how do you even judge if a person is a net negative or positive to the world at large without them doing some huge dramatic act that publicly and unequivocally demonstrates the case?

For instance, I made lunch for the residents as a volunteer at the Ronald McDonald House today, which is a good thing. Does that outweigh bad things I've done? If so, how many bad things?
I think you also need to be mindful of other possible consequences. You could donate money to someone, a presumed positive, but that gets them mugged and stabbed to death because they had money and someone saw that, which is generally a negative.

Nobody knows the whole system except maybe God. And that sure doesn't help us finite beings to know that.

Weird how some people can watch hard-core sex scenes without raising an eyebrow but avert their eyes from a chaste kiss.

I have necromancy on the brain right now, so please don't judge me too harshly.
if I suddenly had the power to call the dead back to life, I wouldn't bother trying to take over the world, or make tons of money, or generally be an evil overlord. What I would do is call up the spirits of the long dead on both sides of historical issues, and do panel discussions with him. I want to see what historical figures think about their decisions, with the benefit of hindsight.
(I imagine there will be many uses of "I told you so. ")

The foreshadowing is getting really blatant at this point.
Well... this fulfills the sun turning black and, maybe the stars falling from the heavens with the comet but... we still need the sky rolling up like a scroll and the earthquake to end them all, along with the moon turning to blood. Once it all happens in succession, well... we can't let our inner Thomas get the better of us. Right?

The foreshadowing is getting really blatant at this point.
I know, right. It's my fetish and I'm getting tired of it.

the sky rolling up like a scroll
Elon, this one's yours.

the earthquake to end them all
C'mon, California, don't let us down!

the moon turning to blood
... Does it have to be human?

I'm thinking of completely moving to AO3. The constant need to update for the sake of engagement combined with my ADHD shitting out WIPs is giving too much pressure. Reading a lot from the FF subreddit, completing everything before you write and only having three WIPs is recommended but with the way forum culture works I've been told by others here that if I do that readers will think it's dead and or forget about it.

I'm thinking of completely moving to AO3. The constant need to update for the sake of engagement combined with my ADHD shitting out WIPs is giving too much pressure. Reading a lot from the FF subreddit, completing everything before you write and only having three WIPs is recommended but with the way forum culture works I've been told by others here that if I do that readers will think it's dead and or forget about it.

If you're making money from your fics -- patreon or whatever -- then engagement is important. In order to max out money, you should cater to the expectations of your readers in terms of schedule updates and so on.

If you're not making money from your fics, then fuck 'em. Update when you want.

...Really? Well, TIME TO GET THAT BAPTISMAL READY! TWO MORE WEEKS! IT ALL ENDS IN TWO MORE WEEKS!

Y'know. hardship is when people are dealing with serious illness or injury, sudden loss of job, fleeing domestic abuse, long term disability, shit like that. It's not "spent 1200.00$ on sports betting today and need to buy dinner".

The people I talk to at work can sometimes be very mentally taxing to both talk to and keep a professional face on for.

After thinking about it.

First well... I'll talk about it later.

Second Liko shot the previous narrator and took his job. Poor guy murdered by a gradeschooler. Or middleschooler. Whatever.

I just saw Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire. It's pretty good. Lots of kaiju fight scenes, lots of fan service. Despite the title, this is very much a Kong movie, not a Godzilla movie, although whenever Godzilla does show up, he tends to steal the scene.

There are a lot of fight scenes in this movie, more than any of the previous Monsterverse films had, and most of the fights involve Kong (he's involved in 7 different fight scenes). Godzilla does get a few fight scenes of his own, but the ones that don't involve Kong are rather short and consist of him killing his opponents almost immediately. The only fight scenes with Godzilla that aren't short curb stomps are the ones where Kong is also fighting.

I will complain that I hate Godzilla's new look. They overdid it with thinning him down, to the point that it looks like a huge chunk is missing from his torso. The elbow blades and thagomizer feel like someone was trying too hard to make his new form feel cool, which isn't helped by the fact that he never actually utilizes these new weapons. I'm not a fan of the pink coloring either, but that I can at least tolerate, especially since they had a good reason for it: to make him easier to differentiate in fight scenes from Shimo. But perhaps the biggest thing I dislike about Godzilla's evolved form is that it doesn't actually seem stronger than he was before. Oh, they add more special effects than they did before, especially when he's using his atomic breath, but said atomic breath does not actually seem more effective than it was before. Likewise, we don't see any feats of speed or strength that dramatically outperform what we already saw him doing. It rather feels like Evolved Godzilla was thrown in entirely because Kong got a (significantly more justified by the plot) power up.

The human characters are much better than they were in Godzilla vs. Kong, largely because they dropped the more obnoxious ones while keeping the ones that were well recieved. They do start pushing teenage drama with Jia, but it's significantly less obnoxious than what we got with Madison in the previous movie, and they drop it almost immediately as the plot starts. And regardless, the movie focuses more on Kong than them.

Overall, Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire is a very good action movie, even if it would have been more honest to title it "Kong: The New Empire."

Last edited:
QQ has almost as many members as SB now. 108.9K to 134K. In comparison, SV has just 56K.

Won't it be really funny if this forum ends up surpassing SB?

After thinking about it.

First well... I'll talk about it later.

Second Liko shot the previous narrator and took his job. Poor guy murdered by a gradeschooler. Or middleschooler. Whatever.
I've been following the subbed version (44 episodes so far), and it's certainly a different take on the franchise than Ash's adventure.

I do like that having experienced adults in the main cast means that the antagonists are allowed to be actual threats capable of cleaning the floor with the noob MCs.

Where should we discuss AI writing? I don't want to accidentally Necro another thread and the only one I could find in the CW index hasn't had a post in 2 years.

This one specifically.

I've been following the subbed version (44 episodes so far), and it's certainly a different take on the franchise than Ash's adventure.

I do like that having experienced adults in the main cast means that the antagonists are allowed to be actual threats capable of cleaning the floor with the noob MCs.

I'll explain what I feel about it later.

-leaves without actually explaining anything-

So there's a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd PoV. But... is there a Fourth Person?

So there's a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd PoV. But... is there a Fourth Person?
From what I know, that's the collective perspective, the "Us". Usually, in a narrative, that refers to multiple narrators telling the same story at the same time, while, if used in a grammar context, it is simply "We" as in "We do X" or "Y happened to Us".

But the actual definition is a bit wonky, as you might see sentences or dialogue in that perspective used as part of a larger narrative, but pretty much no full stories, for very obvious reasons, as that would be really weird.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back