• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

General chat thread

You're new to horror movies, then?
No. It's just that the college people in the movie, unlike the victims in most movies, really hit a chord that pissed me off. Most of the time I don't care, but this time I really wanted to see these guys die. It's kinda too bad most of the nastiest shit happened offscreen, but it wasn't that kind of movie.

How to delete everything in an SSD without breaking it? When it's more than 3TB worth
Delete the partition table.
It's what accidentally happened to my original HDD when degradation hit it and only some really hardcore data recovery could help it.

That or just a quick format. Unless you're planning to hand it off to somebody you won't have to literally reset the bit patterns.

Not entirely sure this is the right thread (though i cant find a more fitting thread when i looked) but what does following a user on here actually do? it certainly doesnt notify me when they post a new story, which is what i figure following them would do (or at least one of the things). Other thing i can think of is if they make a profile post, but not entirely sure about that. considering how rare it seems for authors (or at least those who's stories im reading) to make a profile post on their own profile (that isnt them just replying to someone asking something via a profile post)

Not entirely sure this is the right thread (though i cant find a more fitting thread when i looked) but what does following a user on here actually do? it certainly doesnt notify me when they post a new story, which is what i figure following them would do (or at least one of the things). Other thing i can think of is if they make a profile post, but not entirely sure about that. considering how rare it seems for authors (or at least those who's stories im reading) to make a profile post on their own profile (that isnt them just replying to someone asking something via a profile post)
I think following someone is just a way to be notified about profile posts, but yes, most people on this site, even among prolific authors, don't use their profile much.

To get notifications about a given story/quest/thread, you need to instead follow a specific thread.

And as to new things by a given author? If they don't mention them in a general thread, you would just have to go on their profile, go to the "Find" option, and select "Find All Threads", which by default will show you all story, quest, or other threads an author has made, in chronological order of when they were created, with the newest first.

Or use the website search function for "Search titles and first posts only" and a given author's website name (and nothing in the main search bar) that exists here.

I keep expecting not to get interaction on my posts and get a shot of fear/dopamine whenever a notification pops up, IDK why. It's probably the fact that I was a magnet for extremely blockable people for some reason.

I think following someone is just a way to be notified about profile posts, but yes, most people on this site, even among prolific authors, don't use their profile much.

To get notifications about a given story/quest/thread, you need to instead follow a specific thread.

And as to new things by a given author? If they don't mention them in a general thread, you would just have to go on their profile, go to the "Find" option, and select "Find All Threads", which by default will show you all story, quest, or other threads an author has made, in chronological order of when they were created, with the newest first.

Or use the website search function for "Search titles and first posts only" and a given author's website name (and nothing in the main search bar) that exists here.

thanks, the later parts i know about finding their stuff and how to follow threads/what following threads does, its just a MASSIVE hassle to do so (to do the "find threads by this author" option for each author i want an update for) considering im probably following at least 50 stories from many different authors so it'd be a big pain to go to each and every author who has a story or 2 im following and check them for new stories

Last edited:

If you click on your username at the top of the page, along with the links to account settings and such, there's one labeled "news feed". Checking that should give you some information about the people you follow (I don't know the details as I haven't actually followed anybody)

For idea requests, collabs, or assistance to get over writer's block, does that already have a thread or do I need to make one?

I'm thinking about just stop writing or updating stories on this site.

Need some advice

I try learning a skill, but I feel like I am learning too slow, I am not sure for one if I should focus on faces for drawing for so long for example

Much less on a realistic style first over my main goal anime

I try to multitask and I am not sure if it's a good idea to practice on the same face/body again and again....how do I know if it will transfer to drawing other faces and body parts?

Don't know if this is the right place but what happens when you follow someone? Do you get updates in your alerts when they write a new story? Or is it only collected in the following tab on your account? Any answers with quotes would be appreciated.

Don't know if this is the right place but what happens when you follow someone? Do you get updates in your alerts when they write a new story? Or is it only collected in the following tab on your account? Any answers with quotes would be appreciated.
I... don't actually know.

I'm pretty sure they get alerts when you update threads you yourself started. I have no hard evidence, but I did recently get an influx of new followers and it's coincided with my thread activity buzzing more than usual with my updates.

Wikipedia and Google aren't being helpful.

Does anyone know if there's a specific word for the 'rollers' you attach a scroll to? The things you wind it around, one on each end? I found one that specifically for the Torah, but that seems like a specific religious thing than general.

Wikipedia and Google aren't being helpful.

Does anyone know if there's a specific word for the 'rollers' you attach a scroll to? The things you wind it around, one on each end? I found one that specifically for the Torah, but that seems like a specific religious thing than general.

I just had a really frustrating dream.

There was probably more to it than I remember, but I was running around some broken-down place shooting at zombies with some kind of shotgun that seemed to work more like a rifle. Been playing Mothergunship: Forge which has weird weapon combos, probably its fault. Wasn't that scary, bit jumpscary from that limited peripheral vision I usually experience in dreams and always suspecting one of them was creeping up from the side. After I thought the room was clear, I went to jump over some crap in the back, a little cubby of an area I thought might have some loot- and a cardboard box wiggled. I've also been playing Kill it with Fire, so I thought there was something in the box, so I opened it. Nothing. Then the box jumped at me. It was a mimic. Next thing I know, all sorts of random crap is flying at me, all mimics, and my shotgun's taking two to three shots to take each one down, annoying due to the slow fire rate.

And then came the frustrating part.

Half a dozen Succubi dancing around the... propane-tank like structure I was using for cover, running in circles around. Half or fully naked, shaking their asses and generally being sexy and tempting. And I can't do shit even if I wanted to because I have to deal with the fucking mimics.

And then I woke up.

I want to post something for RP purposes, but I keep getting nervous over actually making a thread for it because it's only going to be 1 on 1 and the idea feels like it would be rejected.

I need motivation to hammer that button.

Which media has the lowest barrier of entry for creators? Not including fanfiction.

Which media has the lowest barrier of entry for creators? Not including fanfiction.
Honestly either Blogging or podcasting.
Podcasting needs a microphone. And previous acting or vocal experience or a naturally nice voice helps but isn't essential if you are funny.
YouTube would need that as well as either a camera or the ability to animate in most cases.

Blogging means setting up your own website or using a blog service. Which does have a learning curve and ongoing cost.
But doesn't really take space.

If you like writing an decent alternative to blogging with less upfront costs is making an email newsletter. So long as it has a clear value proposition.
Those are both usually non-fiction writing based in terms of domain. Although, I guess you could have a creative writing newsletter?

You could try non-fanfiction writing on royalroad or something? But that seems fairly similar in some ways. that isn't super hard to monetize although it is hard to live off of.
Youtube is similar but has more costs. (But more discoverability.)

Streaming is an option, It is less intense equipment wise than youtube overall.
However it does mean you need a nicer computer so if you don't already have a decent graphics card then it is very meh.

If you already have a creative skill there are synergies there.

In terms of monetary cost, Making your own music with a DAW on a computer is probably the lowest cost barrier. But that either takes a lot of time, or music skills to get anywhere.
You can use something like LMMS and get started pretty well even with a garbage computer that is like 10+ years old.
If you watch some youtube videos and such you can probably make some stuff that is kind of okay. Particularly if you learn a little music theory.
You don't actually have to be able to play an instrument to make music but it helps.
If you can/want to sing or write lyrics that is hard and more of a later thing that requires a mic, But you can get pretty far without lyrics.

If you didn't have a computer and just a phone or something art would be competitive for time and cost. But that is more directly competing with AI. It's not computer dependent but requires more physical materials and such. (Or maybe an art tablet, Which is on the low end on par with a meh mic.)

Just realized that, instead of opening a new tab, I reached for a different computer (which also had the same site loaded) so I could keep my place in the story I'm reading on the other laptop's screen.

I guess it's another version of opening your phone to check the same mail that's on the computer in front of you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back