• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
Kissing up to people that could kill him in a heartbeat is something that, by necessity, he has become very good at.

Just look at his interactions with Caligula.

Speaking of which if I remember correctly Charlie got him to stay in a closet.

If this is true then is he still in there and Charlie just forgot about him?

Also has Serenity asked Jaguar Warrior if she has any other full body suits for her to wear so she doesn't poison anyone by accident?

Just look at his interactions with Caligula.

Speaking of which if I remember correctly Charlie got him to stay in a closet.

If this is true then is he still in there and Charlie just forgot about him?

Also has Serenity asked Jaguar Warrior if she has any other full body suits for her to wear so she doesn't poison anyone by accident?
He's still in there. According to eyewitness reports he's either tracked the snipes back to their home dimension and launched a glorious war of conquest, his mighty war machine oiled by the blood of the fallen, or he's just hallucinating reeeeeeeeaaallly hard. Probably the second one.

He's still in there. According to eyewitness reports he's either tracked the snipes back to their home dimension and launched a glorious war of conquest, his mighty war machine oiled by the blood of the fallen, or he's just hallucinating reeeeeeeeaaallly hard. Probably the second one.
It's Chaldea, I would say he ended tracking them to some pseudo-singularity and is making an Event out of it. Because, even of you are taking a more serious approach of the story, with more realistic characters, that is exactly the kind of bullshit that would happen there.

Probably the second one.

Though it would be funny if the first one is what really happened and Charlie somehow gets dragged into Caligulas campaign.

If he hasn't embraced alcoholism by now then he will after that.

Chapter 146
As I walk through the streets of Uruk, easily one of mankind's oldest cities, I can't help but note that the place seems more alive than I'd expected. One wouldn't expect a city engaged in a war against uncounted legions of monsters to be so… active.

But the city is alive, far more alive than it has any right to be. I see no sign of economic strain, and in truth, the sheer number of laughing children running through the streets almost seems to say that life is prospering.

When the Archer incarnation of Gilgamesh I encountered during the Grail Hunt told me that he would only rule over the greatest of peoples, I thought that he was full of shit. Now, though, it's starting to feel like he might've been onto something. If these people, laughing and prospering even during a war against their very existence, were the standard he set, then no wonder he thought modern humanity fell short of his standards.

Alright, then. Let's go and see the King.

---​

'Is everyone familiar with the plan?' I send over the mental link. 'Repeat it after me.'

'If Gilgamesh decides to kill us, I am to form the primary defensive bulwark,' Galahad repeats.

'I am to utilize Abyssus Draconis, and then cover Siegfried as he gets into melee range.' Georgios adds.

'I am to keep him busy, and trap him in melee, while Cu deals with his cronies,' Siegfried continues, rounding us off. 'Then, once his reinforcements are dealt with, we gang up on him and finish him off.'

'Good. Remember, this is only a contingency, just in case he decides to kill us out of hand. I hope it won't be necessary, but having met the man, I know that the possibility exists,' I sigh, then square my shoulders. 'Alright, let's go. Remember, let me do the talking.'

We start making our way up the steps, towards the gate of the Grand Ziggurat that serves as Gilgamesh's main headquarters. Considering the sizable line that ends a dozen or so steps ahead of us, it might be a while before we meet with him. But that's fine. I can wait.

---​

Waiting sucks. The sun is starting to set by the time we're allowed in, and I am an uncomfortable mixture of thirsty, hungry, and tired. My uniform is soaked with my sweat (and seriously, who thought white uniforms was a good idea? I can't even begin to count how many hours I've had to spend washing bloodstains out of this thing, a frankly terrifying number of which were my own,) I've had to talk Medea out of covertly murdering our way to the front of the line twice, and I have a blazing headache.

And it's then, and only then, that I get my first look at King Gilgamesh.

"Divide the resources equally between the two families," he orders, dismissing the tablet-bearing messenger. "And take a fifth of the combined total as a fine for their infighting in times of war."

The messenger hurries off, and his court scribe scribbles down her notes.

He's addressing every complaint in person? That's almost as impressive as it is massively inefficient. Has he never heard of the concept of delegating responsibility before?

"Alright, Siduri, what's next?" the king asks, sitting back in his throne.

"We have exhausted civil petitioners, and there are no further messages from the ADF," his secretary reports dutifully. "We do, however, have a group of foreign petitioners that requested an audience with you. They've been waiting for quite some time."

Finally.

"Hmph. I suppose they could be put off for tomorrow…"

Oh, you motherfucker, don't you fucking dare.

"But the king is generous. I will see them today."

Oh, thank God.

We're ushered into the throne room, to stand beneath the judging eyes of the King of Heroes. His secretary stands off to one side, and aside from that guy in the white cloak standing at Gilgamesh's side, she's the only other one in the throne room.

"My king, it is an honor to stand before one so elevated as yourself," I begin, my usual eloquence slightly diminished from the hours I've had to spend standing in the hot sun. "I am the Master of Chaldea, and I, alongside my comrades, have come to aid you-"

"Enough." He says it in a tone of absolute finality, and I comply. "You have quite some nerve, to claim that you are capable of aiding me. I possess Uruk, the foremost gem of Mesopotamia. I have summoned seven Servants to stand beside me. Who are you, to say that you can match these gifts?"

"We are Chaldea, the ones responsible for the resolution of countless Singularities. We seek only to secure the Holy Grail, and resolve the Singularity." Don't snap at him, Charlie. He's probably had a long day too, even if he's a massive prick. "This will be to the benefit of all of Uruk and will most likely end the crisis you are facing. We wish to aid you in the preservation of your people, and the destruction of your enemies."

"Ah. The Grail?" he snorts. "Do you perhaps mean… this?"

There it sits, shiny and golden in the palm of his hand. The cause of this whole damn mess. And if it is the cause of the Singularity, that would make its master our enemy.

Right. Will our previous strategy still work? I'd have to say yes. It's just the man in white and Gilgamesh's secretary in here with us. Cu can handle them. We'll have to be careful, just in case he tries pulling out Ea, but I know he's shit in hand-to-hand, and Siegfried's good at keeping up the pressure. We'll have to be quick, though.

'Cursed Arm, get into position.'

I smile at King Gilgamesh. "Sir, I must politely request, if that is indeed the Grail which has established this Singularity, that you hand it over to us, so that we may resolve this unfortunate affair with all due haste."

"And if I refuse?" he asks, amused.

"While I've been told that corpses can sometimes have quite an impressive grip strength, I'm sure that with seven legendary heroes, we'll manage just fine."

He laughs, and doesn't stop laughing for quite some time.

'Cursed Arm-'

"No, little man," he says, managing to quell his guffaws for long enough to speak. "This is not the Grail causing the Singularity."

"Ah. Very well then. May I assume that this enemy of yours, the Three Goddess Alliance, possesses it?" At his nod, I begin to strategize. "Very well. May I ask that you tell me what you know of them, so that we may coordinate our plans for their termination?"

And that sets the jackass off again. "And yet again you assume that you have anything to offer me!" He snorts, then turns to his secretary. "Siduri, take note! I believe we have ourselves a new court jester!"

As I silently fume in humiliation, I have to remind myself that we can't just kill him for being an asshole. "I see. Is that your final answer?"

"For now. Prove your worth to me, and perhaps I'll change my mind." He makes a shooing gesture with his hands, and I have to restrain the urge to kill him again. "Siduri, lead them to their quarters and introduce them to the other Servants, wouldn't you?"

"Yes, My King," the veiled woman says, guiding us away.

'Wow. Really knocked it out of the park there, Flynn.' Galahad sends.

'I- You heard the man!' I snap. 'Nothing I did could ever get past that overbearing pride of his.'

'Yeah, I don't think that was ever going to be anything other than a disaster,' Galahad concedes with a shrug. 'Some people just don't want to let you help them, Flynn.'

---​

Apparently, some of the local Servants swung by in an attempt at a welcoming party while I was out ensuring that the gold we Rayshifted over in the Temple of Ishtar arrived smoothly. I missed the entire party, of course, mostly because I got back a bit late, and went straight to bed without acknowledging them in the slightest.

I do feel a bit guilty about that, it's not their fault that their current boss is an arrogant prick with all the diplomacy and tact of a fucking crocodile, but after the day I had, I'm not in the mood for any more bullshit.

The next morning, Siduri arrives with our first work order. The first of the tasks which will prove to Gilgamesh that we're truly reliable allies who might be able to aid him in his war for Uruk's survival.

In all honesty, I'm actually curious as to what task Gilgamesh will have set for me. What deeds would be required in order to earn the respect of humanity's first hero.

Siduri clears her throat and reads off the tablet. "One of our wealthier farmers has placed a complaint that, with all manpower being directed to the ADF, he has no one to shear his sheep for him. As such, and since you are at our king's disposal, he has decided that you are to fulfill the farmer's request, in order to ensure the continued prosperity of Uruk's textile industry."

The room is completely silent, as we stare at her. I'm not the only one glaring at her. Cu looks like he's one more sentence away from shooting the messenger. Hell, even Siegfried and Georgios are glaring at her.

Sheep. He has a fighting force composed of humanity's best and brightest willing to offer him our support, and he's sending us… to shear sheep.

I think I feel something snap in me as I stare at Siduri, who's beginning to look a touch nervous. "Is this… truly how King Gilgamesh wishes us to apply our talents?"

"Well, um, yes," she stammers out, looking between the Servants uncomfortably. "I understand that you might feel it's a bit beneath your rank, but, well, the sheep are very fluffy."

"My word," I say in mock astonishment. "Very fluffy, you say? Why that definitely makes up for your jumped-up thug with a crown insulting both me and Chaldea by sending a team of humanity's greatest heroes to go and do farm work in the middle of a WAR! But they're very fluffy, so that's all okay, now isn't it?" I advance on her, getting up in her face. "You can tell your blaspheming, raping, hypocritical idiot of a king to GO FUCK HIMSELF, because WE! ARE! LEAVING!"

"I, wait, please don't-" she tries to grab my uniform coat, but I've already stormed out, my Servants following behind me.

'So, boss,' Cu says over the mental link, sounding oddly satisfied. 'Where are we going?'

'Ishtar. She's a strong ally, she knows the lay of the land, and, perhaps most importantly, she can be bribed. She's also confirmed to us that she's not really Uruk's enemy, so she can be swayed over to our side.'

We make it out through the gates before word gets out that we insulted the king.

And then we're back on the road.

Oh, yes, it was Gil's pride that shot down negations. Totally him. Once again, Flynn's inability to analyze the situation before jumping into action is making things harder then it needs to be. I mean, taking on a three goddess alliance with a demi-god, a team of servants, and an army? That's for chumps. Fighting the three goddess alliance with one, total genius move right there.

Does Charlie not have a good idea of how strong a Goddess is? Did Ishtar's display of firepower not give him good enough of an idea? Because he would be fighting that times three.

...Also it just occurred to me that Charlie in now way can get Ereshkigal's assistance, since he won't bother sympathizing with her, and would move to straight up try to kill her at the first opportunity.

Also, how come Merlin didn't talk to either Charlie or Galahad yet?

Oh, yes, it was Gil's pride that shot down negations. Totally him. Once again, Flynn's inability to analyze the situation before jumping into action is making things harder then it needs to be. I mean, taking on a three goddess alliance with a demi-god, a team of servants, and an army? That's for chumps. Fighting the three goddess alliance with one, total genius move right there.
It's honestly more a matter of Gilgamesh being too autocratic to ever explain why someone should do something beyond "I said so."

Wiser or not, Gilgamesh is still Gilgamesh, and still believes, on a fundamental level, that people should follow him because he's king. Any matter of competence or knowing what to do is secondary to his status as king.

Thus, while he's a commanding, charismatic leader, he's absolutely shit as a diplomat. He's just flat-out incapable of grasping that people need a reason to go with what he says, and consequently, frequently fucks up when his natural charisma can't do the work for him.

This is seen in how Gil managed to quite thoroughly piss off both Flynn and his Servants, by insulting their abilities and accomplishments, and then managed to go further and give them the impression that he's utterly incompetent when he sent humanity's finest to work on a farm. If Siduri wasn't a woman, Cu would have killed her on the spot for insulting his prowess as a warrior like that.

Gilgamesh really only got away with not explaining his orders in canon because the Master of Chaldea was Ritsuka Fujimura, the most singularly reactive guy in all of Chaldea, who treats the Grand Order like one big adventure because if he didn't, and he actually took things seriously, he'd break. And the only Servant on the ground that they acknowledged was Mash "Purer Than F*cking Galahad" Kyrielight, who's about as proactive or prideful in her capabilities as Ritsuka is.

Does Charlie not have a good idea of how strong a Goddess is? Did Ishtar's display of firepower not give him good enough of an idea? Because he would be fighting that times three.

...Also it just occurred to me that Charlie in now way can get Ereshkigal's assistance, since he won't bother sympathizing with her, and would move to straight up try to kill her at the first opportunity.

He does in fact know how strong goddesses are, that's why he's heading to recruit one first.

Don't write off Ereshkigal so early.

And Merlin was in fact about to approach Flynn and Galahad. Then he saw that they lost the Cath Palug, and promptly freaked the fuck out. He was to busy having a massive panic attack to intervene.

Merlin is planning (read: Desperate Xanatos Speedchess to prevent Beast IV from wrecking things).

He does in fact know how strong goddesses are, that's why he's heading to recruit one first.

And Merlin was in fact about to approach Flynn and Galahad. Then he saw that they lost the Cath Palug, and promptly freaked the fuck out. He was to busy having a massive panic attack to intervene.
Ah, so Merlin is panicking, instead.

Well now. That was not what I expected. I was expecting Gil to viscerally tear Charles a new one over his character...perhaps I'm not as familiar with CasGil as I should be.

I liked the "pride of heroes". Though I admit I expect George and Siegfried to be willing...it seems they're caught up in the importance of the mission same as Charles. Maybe not smart or "heroic" but it's unique.

See, this is why he failed so damn hard in the Arthurian legends. He doesn't have backup plans...despite having Clairvoyance.

Maybe spend less time trolling people with fake bitch bots.

He's addressing every complaint in person? That's almost as impressive as it is massively inefficient. Has he never heard of the concept of delegating responsibility before?

The man likes to work.

To the death.

More like Anu, given that they're in ancient Mesopotamia.

Yeah, I don't think that was ever going to be anything other than a disaster,'

In fairness this was a cake walk compared to what would have happened if they dealt with his Archer self.

'Some people just don't want to let you help them, Flynn.'

Like that woman that may be carrying Cu's kid.

Granted the fact that he poisoned people may have played a part in that so she has some good reasons.

Sheep. He has a fighting force composed of humanity's best and brightest willing to offer him our support, and he's sending us… to shear sheep.

Hey Mr Miyagi managed to teach Daniel karate by having him do mundane tasks so maybe Gil is doing something similar.

I mean it's probably not that, but it could be.

Flynn can summon many powerful Servants to aid him in his task.

Plus he also has several demi gods on his side, the Chul kids being a prime example.

Also while Charlie did react a bit hastily, remember that he and his Servants were essentially told to do things that didn't benefit the war in any significant way.

Seriously they are some of the best warriors in history and they're being told to do farm work, during a war no less.

Probably the second one.

Though it would be funny if the first one is what really happened and Charlie somehow gets dragged into Caligulas campaign.

If he hasn't embraced alcoholism by now then he will after that.

I just remembered this:

Maybe Charlie can become the king of some far away land after he kills a lot of snipes.

That is assuming Caligula is actually doing these things and Charlie goes with him, or more likely Caligula succeeds in kidnapping him.

We wish to aid you in the preservation of your people, and the destruction of your enemies.

I think Gilgamesh was only testing Flynn's words, in the quote above, the Mc states that the team was sent to 'preserve the people' first, and to fight the enemy second.

On the beggining of the chp, is cleary stated

But the city is alive, far more alive than it has any right to be. I see no sign of economic strain, and in truth, the sheer number of laughing children running through the streets almost seems to say that life is prospering.

If the economy is not straining, and the people seem happy, despite the siege, then King's plan isn't to end the trheat first, but to maintain the moralle of the city up.

Additionally, the wool collected from the sheep would be used to keep the inhabitants of the city warm on night. It may not be a heroic thing to do, but it is necessary.

[English is not my first language, if the meaning is not clear, please warn me, if the grammer of the text is wrong, please warn me]

Last edited:
I think Gilgamesh was only testing Flynn's words, in the quote above, the Mc states that the team was sent to 'preserve the people' first, and to fight the enemy second.

If the economy is not straining, and the people seem happy, despite the siege, then King's plan isn't to end the trheat first, but to maintain the moralle of the city up.

Additionally, the wool collected from the sheeps would be used to keep the inhabitants of the city warm on night. It may not be a heroic thing to do, but it is necessary.

[English is not my first language, if the meaning is not clear, please warn me, if the grammer of the text is wrong, please warn me]

It's still kinda stupid to have the Servants Charlie brought spend their time shearing sheep instead of fighting.

I'm pretty sure there are people who are not superpowerful beings that could be doing that.

I am waiting for the rant incoming due to the lostbelts. Basically MC bypassed all the side quests. Now if he needs to be broken, then he will fail to recruit Ishtar, although in a way Caster Gilgamesh is weaker than Archer Gilgamesh.

Additionally, the wool collected from the sheeps would be used to keep the inhabitants of the city warm on night. It may not be a heroic thing to do, but it is necessary.

You are right, but MC is showing signs of snapping any day now. So basically side quests in these circumstances is something very very bad in his view. Plus his servants agree, which make it even more hilarious. As for grammer, "sheep" is plural.

Charles Flynn, each and every time, MC has destroyed a fundamental part of the enemies' plan, it would be funny, because of sooner decisive actions of Flynn there is a lesser number of Lahmu's. And Path Calug was supposed to be handled by giving Mash a new body, but here this is not happening, did his clairvoyance did not catch Flynn?

This reminded me of this:

Truly I think Flynn would consider Crowley to be pure evil.

Maybe laugh together.

It's still kinda stupid to have the Servants Charlie brought spend their time shearing sheep instead of fighting.

I'm pretty sure there are people who are not superpowerful beings that could be doing that.

I mean, maybe, but o think in a plan made by two seers, the introductioin of an uncontrolled force that thinks it knows better would have bad consequences.

And while other people may do the shearing, keeping the Chaldea contingent busy would be better then leaving then to plan something without direct supervision from the King

Indeed. Of course, if Gilgamesh had managed to explain that, or had Siduri and Merlin run damage control, Flynn might have accepted his reasoning.

The great divide between Flynn and Gilgamesh is that they come from entirely separate time periods, and have different ideas of what leadership means. Flynn believes that a leader should be leader because they are just and skillful, while Gilgamesh believes that a leader is just and skillful because they are the leader.

Even in canon Babylonia, Gilgamesh's response to Ritsuka offering to help him was basically, "I don't need it, now go jump through hoops to prove that you're worthy of helping me." Flynn is just responding as any rational human being would to being told to go do fetch quests in order to prove yourself worthy of helping the quest giver, by telling Gilgamesh to go fuck himself.

I mean, maybe, but o think in a plan made by two seers, the introductioin of an uncontrolled force that thinks it knows better would have bad consequences.

And while other people may do the shearing, keeping the Chaldea contingent busy would be better then leaving then to plan something without direct supervision from the King
If they're not going to tell him their plan, why the hell would they expect him to follow it?

I am waiting for the rant incoming due to the lostbelts. Basically MC bypassed all the side quests. Now if he needs to be broken, then he will fail to recruit Ishtar, although in a way Caster Gilgamesh is weaker than Archer Gilgamesh.

You are right, but MC is showing signs of snapping any day now. So basically side quests in these circumstances is something very very bad in his view. Plus his servants agree, which make it even more hilarious. As for grammer, "sheep" is plural.

Charles Flynn, each and every time, MC has destroyed a fundamental part of the enemies' plan, it would be funny, because of sooner decisive actions of Flynn there is a lesser number of Lahmu's. And Path Calug was supposed to be handled by giving Mash a new body, but here this is not happening, did his clairvoyance did not catch Flynn?

Maybe laugh together.
Trust me, Flynn, unlike Ritsuka, is not someone that tends to go along with people's plans, at least not if they don't have the common courtesy to explain said plans first. Chaldea was always something Gilgamesh couldn't predict the results of. He was just willing to gamble that they'd improve the results, since the baseline was so terrible.

If they're not going to tell him their plan, why the hell would they expect him to follow it?

I'm betting it's because they're so used to people following their plans, either because they respect them or fear them, that when someone refuses to do that they may find it difficult to adapt and are surprised at what's happening.

Flynn is just responding as any rational human being would to being told to go do fetch quests in order to prove yourself worthy of helping the quest giver, by telling Gilgamesh to go fuck himself.
But Flynn wasn't rational. He didn't ask 'Why is he asking us to shear sheep?' or ask for any explanation, he just got angry and blew up at someone who had no say in it then left to recruit the goddess who he can manipulate.

Because Gil is a King, and thus, right.

Excellent characterization (b'v')b
I mean, it kind of is. If the city is prospering during a monster siege, he must be doing something right.

Honestly would be interesting if they have Kid Gil acting as translator for older Gil.

"Oh that Ass sorry he seems to be testing you while that is actually a issue he does have as it's messing with the ecomoics."

"A kingdom should not have a single point of failure no matter how strong."

But Flynn wasn't rational. He didn't ask 'Why is he asking us to shear sheep?' or ask for any explanation, he just got angry and blew up at someone who had no say in it then left to recruit the goddess who he can manipulate.

I mean, it kind of is. If the city is prospering during a monster siege, he must be doing something right.

Gil did kind of dismiss them and laughed when they offered to help.

Gil in the myths was essentially a serial killer/rapist, so Charlie already has some reason to dislike him.

Charlie may have thought trying to ally with Gil was an exercise in futility and decided to actually do something productive rather than stay and waste his time.

Honestly would be interesting if they have Kid Gil acting as translator for older Gil.

"Oh that Ass sorry he seems to be testing you while that is actually a issue he does have as it's messing with the ecomoics."

"A kingdom should not have a single point of failure no matter how strong."

This would be hillarious!

And usefull, but i don't see Flynn having that ideia, maybe Mash ? (not galahad, Mash)

Trust me, Flynn, unlike Ritsuka, is not someone that tends to go along with people's plans, at least not if they don't have the common courtesy to explain said plans first. Chaldea was always something Gilgamesh couldn't predict the results of. He was just willing to gamble that they'd improve the results, since the baseline was so terrible.
What about Cath Palug, I asked in the quoted post

Users who are viewing this thread

Back