• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

Hyrule Rising (Zelda/Modern)

[x] yes
[x] drawing

If we pick every option, 7 or 8 skills will get bonuses. If we focus votes on 3 skills, 1/2 will get bonuses. Look at the mechanics on the post before this. Are they the same?
Correct.

However, you've got a 50/50 chance of getting all 15 if they all gain the same number of votes. I use the bot on irc to choose between rounding up and rounding down when there's an odd number, like I did this last vote.

So the optimal amount is 22/23 votes with half on two and half on one vote?

Current Votes for people to check on easily.

Home Ec., Computer Science, Biology, Dance, History, Physics (2), Drawing, Spanish

So currently we get Physics and a random 3 of the other seven choices listed.

22/23 is roughly indistinguishable from all 15.

Round up would give us all 15 with an even vote or nothing so it averages out to the same value over a few votes.

Actually the optimal might be something like 5 in first place and ten in second, or about 20 votes. We'd be sure of the best options and have a 50% chance of getting everything else.

We'd have a 50% chance to gain 10 vs a certainty of 2/3.

Last edited:
[x] Yes
[x] History

Do you request more books?
[X] Yes

Pick one subject from the list. The top half of the options with votes will be studied in more depth in the following year, while you will gain no additional proficiency with the others.
[X] Physics

[X] Yes
Mmm, yes more books.
[X] Physics
Physics seems useful, especially after an apocalypse, no?

Vote changed.

Last edited:
Heh, people not reading the discussion and ruining the plans of mice and men.

So we're doing physics, it's on four votes now so stop voting on it please people. History being another confirmed choice is perfectly fine but avoid voting for it as well anymore. The things it would most help us to vote for are Algebra, Geometry, French, English, Poetry, Ettiquette, and Piano. Please vote for one of those as they will definitely help us but multiple votes for the same thing does not.

[x] yes
[x] Geometry

Here's what would happen if the current vote won. Now when I look at this, I see that there's one 3, two 2s, and six 1s. Those options with only one vote are all, effectively, the same rank. Therefore I have to randomly choose which of them I pick to be the "lowest". This continues until I either run out of options with the same number of votes or I hit the middle, and have to decide whether that middle vote goes up or down. In this case, the bot chose to round up.

3 Physics: (StackedDeck, abyssmal_kismet, Biigoh)
2 History: (Grosstoad, Wootius)
2 Biology: (Ct613hulu, Xicree)
1 Drawing: (theBSDude)

1 Geometry: (Bailey Matutine)
1 Home Ec.: (Darkened)

1 Dance: (redaeth)
1 Computer Science: (Xilph)
1 Language (Spanish): (CptTagon)

13 Yes: (StackedDeck, Ct613hulu, Darkened, Grosstoad, Xicree, Wootius, theBSDude, abyssmal_kismet, Biigoh, Xilph, CptTagon, redaeth, Bailey Matutine)
0 No

Does this make sense, and is it helpful?

So, half of all voted categories are chopped off, rounding up is rounding up on the progressing side? I don't understand the talk about putting things on different weights then, unless the amount being negated comes from half of the lowest tier of votes, or you're specifically saying that if all the values are equal there's a 50/50 we'll get every vote. The examples seem to contradict all the other discussion, at least.

EDIT: Specifically, I'm getting that half of some of the votes are getting cut off, that's what the rounding is for, but examples seem to say 'half of all votes, vote density is order of cut', discussion 'half of the lowest vote tier, tiering votes saves some'

Suppose the general point is clear enough.

[X] No
They have to give us books if we start running out, anyways. Seems like 'in character' we don't want to stick out too much.

[X] Poetry
Also a good way to just get used to cryptic phrasing, general linguistic flexibility, which could be handy if riddles are fantasy-world common geographic pieces.

Last edited:
Heh, people not reading the discussion and ruining the plans of mice and men.

Rather, people trying to ignoring the most blatant meta abuse planning ever.

I'm not going to vote to hug a Stalfos or try to diplotalk a Wolfos, but damned if I'm going to vote to a mathematical model.

Fair enough for me gibbousmoons!

Last edited:
[X] Computer Science.

[X] Yes.

So, half of all voted categories are chopped off, rounding up is rounding up on the progressing side? I don't understand the talk about putting things on different weights then, unless the amount being negated comes from half of the lowest tier of votes, or you're specifically saying that if all the values are equal there's a 50/50 we'll get every vote. The examples seem to contradict all the other discussion, at least.

EDIT: Specifically, I'm getting that half of some of the votes are getting cut off, that's what the rounding is for, but examples seem to say 'half of all votes, vote density is order of cut', discussion 'half of the lowest vote tier, tiering votes saves some'

Suppose the general point is clear enough.

[X] No
They have to give us books if we start running out, anyways. Seems like 'in character' we don't want to stick out too much.

[X] Poetry
Also a good way to just get used to cryptic phrasing, general linguistic flexibility, which could be handy if riddles are fantasy-world common geographic pieces.
I was asked on irc what would happen if all of the options got the exact same number of votes, and I decided that, if you managed to pull that off, I'd go all or nothing with the options.

Now when I looked at the votes at the time I saw the following distribution.
3 - Physics
2 - History, Biology
1- Drawing, Geometry, Home Ec., Dance, Computer Science, Language (Spanish)

There was no good way to decide where the bottom was, but at the same time I didn't want to 'reward' you by going all or nothing with six options. That meant that I had to randomly determine which option was going to be on the 'bottom'. So long as their's no clear next lowest or highest vote, I have to keep randomly determining it. This way I get a clear "top half" and "bottom half" of the options voted for.

I think what's going on with the 'tiers' in the discussion is that somebody figured that the optimal vote would be to have two tiers. The top tier would receive two votes, and would be the options that you want to win. The bottom tier would only get throwaway votes, and would exist to inflate the number of winning options. If there are only two tiers of vote density (2 and 1), then the most options will be saved.

Does that make sense?

That's 4 for Computer science, now. Somebody should either confirm one of the other 1-vote options, or choose a new subject to push the half-point.

votes said:
[X] 3 Computer Science: (Cassiemouse, Xilph, Ephemeral_Dreamer)
[X] 3 History: (Grosstoad, Arrakeen, Wootius)
[X] 2 Biology: (Ct613hulu, Xicree)
[X] 2 Dance: (BenignBrokenBoundaries, redaeth)
[X] 2 Physics: (abyssmal_kismet, Biigoh)

[X] 1 Computer Science.: (BFldyq)
[X] 1 Drawing: (theBSDude)
[X] 1 Geometry: (Bailey Matutine)
[X] 1 Home Ec.: (Darkened)
[X] 1 Language (Spanish): (CptTagon)
[X] 1 Lauguage (English): (StackedDeck)
[X] 1 Poetry: (VictoriousCoyote)

These are the current skill votes. I'm likely to call the vote in a few hours.

Right now, between five and six of the uncolored votes will be in the lower half, and between one and two of them will be in the blue votes for added gains.

2lvfdxs.jpg
25tkzl5.jpg

[X] Yes
[X] Geometry

New vote

Users who are viewing this thread

Back