• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

Iberian Feudal Quest

Current build: Mundane [2], Mystical [3], Order of Daughter [1], Mine [2], Library [0], Temple [1], Allies [0], Retainers [0], Military [0].

Mundane (stacks) [2]
Fluent in Darthaca; +1000 SP; Diplomacy, Intrigue and Cyphers @ 1 or +1

Mystical Background (stacks) [3]
Training aids to spells; 2 mystical traits; mystical powers from nonhuman maternal grandmother

Order of the Daughter [1]
Pro: a (small) seat at the table and the goodwill of the Temples near you.
Con: pledged (One Action) a year or 100sp

Mine: [2]
Silver Mine, constant source of revenue collected every three months

Library: [0]
Not worth much

Temples [1]:
Enough Divines (and funding) to accomplish such as education, running and orphanage and small hospital.

Allies: [0]
Luc's eleven year old sister

Retainers: [0]
Ser Meen Diaz, (5 SP/Turn; veteran knight); Martio (cunning scout)

Military Forces: [0]
None

...looks good to me as is.

Mundane (stacks) [2]
Order of the Daughter [0]
Mine: [3]
Temples: (stacks) [1]
Allies: (Stack) [0]
Retainers [0]

Honestly, not a big fan of church-routes. Plus, it can be easily gotten with an action in the first year, from what I remember. Mystical Background is important, in my opinion, since it's one of those things we can't really change. Similar with the mine. So, having both at 3 should help us out immensely. Plus, we should be able to use the wealth from the mine itself, along with the trade that'll come with it, for things such as expanding our library, hiring/raising military forces or retainers, and so on.

Mundane (stacks) [2]
Order of the Daughter [0]
Mine: [3]
Temples: (stacks) [1]
Allies: (Stack) [0]
Retainers [0]

With the turning of daylights savings time I'm closing the vote

Winning vote is

Mundane [2]
Mystical Background [3]
Order of Daughter [1]
Mine [2]
Library [0]
Temple [1]
Allies [0]
Retainers [0]
Military [0]

Overall turned out almost as I voted. Just Order 1 instead of Retainers 1 as the only difference.

I do find it curious that I was the only one interested in exploiting Retainers to get an exploitative level administration/engineering character to help us build up our fief though considering our own mind score is low at 2 and we have no administration at all.

Did people just expect the GM would punish such exploitative behavior perhaps?

Character Creation #4
Character Creation Round 4: Mystical Background

Gilbert du Perche, Luc's maternal grandfather, some forty years ago found himself washed up on a mysterious island in the archipelago's directly off the coast of Iberia after a torrential spring storm drove the galley he was on off course and wrecked itself. A young noble of Darthaca, this grandson of a Duc had been accompanying a much more experienced Darthacan noble on an embassy to the Roknari Princedoms on a matter of trade in spices.

While stripped of his baggage, all weaponry bare a simple knife that had an oilskin cover, and somewhat delirious of thirst after waking up in the blazing sun on a pristine white beach of sand Gilbert was not however stripped of his wit. Displaying a great deal of determination Gilbert hauled himself off the sand into the plentiful cover of the forest and quickly began foraging for survival, a task he accomplished adroitly after luck lead him to a small stream of crystal clear water.

Exploring the unknown island lead Gilbert to a fantastic garden, a place of trees with golden fruit and three beautiful maidens of inhuman beauty tending it. Overwhelmed by the visions of feminine beauty before him Gilbert was entranced, coming back day after day to simply watch the three Nymphs from afar as they went about their daily business for a few brief moments before his courage was overcome once more. Any thoughts of escaping the island fled from Gilbert, after seeing such visions of perfection how could he lay eyes on any other mortal woman. Instead Gilbert fished, created a more permanent shelter and in his many moments of spare time turned his quicksilver mind to composing verse after verse of poetry.

One fine fall day as Gilbert took in a few minutes of gazing from afar Aegle, one of the three sisters called out to him "Come stranger, share our hearth and be welcome".

With that siren's call Gilbert came forward and was welcomed by the Hesperides into their garden of delights and wonders.

In the five years that followed Aegle, much delighted by Gilbert's poetry gave him a pair of twins Louis and Louise. Eventually however Gilbert was returned to Darthaca laden with treasure a long lingering kiss and both children for the garden of the Hesperides was not a place a mortal could reside forever. Upon his return Gilbert du Perche was welcomed home by a family who had long thought him dead and gone never questioning the legitimacy of his twin children.

Gilbert's poetry quickly found itself immensely popular throughout Darthaca, and his tremendous gift with languages soon found him conversing with ambassadors from far and wide. Eventually Gilbert whose was greatly trusted by Darthaca's King, in part due to his sheer disinterest in material wealth, was appointed as an ambassador to Brajar and brought with him his daughter Louis. Shortly after her marriage to March Fera dy Targus Gilbert handed over all his remaining property to his son Louis hired a ship and vanished from the world.

Voting

Valid votes will be in the format of [X], with Two votes per person

Mystical Traits

Gained: Traits Luc dy Tamega has gained naturally

~ Longevity: Once Luc hits his full adult growth he will retain his youthful vitality, death will still take him but it won't be as a frail and infirm old man.
~ Mercurial Tongue: Luc finds it very easy to learn languages picking them up with ease

Vote: Choose 2

[ ] Arete: The distilled essence of skill allows one to beyond the limitations of the mortal frame.
In game effects this means pursuing Skills beyond one's abilities, for example Swordmanship 4 with Luc's Body 2, encounters no additional difficulty and faces no upkeep.

[ ] Bridge between worlds: Luc's mystical heritage is obvious and instantly recognizable by supernatural beings. More importantly those capable of rational thought will recognize and deal with Luc as having supernatural status and rank instead of being just another haughty mortal lord.

[ ] Fleet Run: Fully capable of running a marathon over broken terrain in roughly 6 hours or even faster over road ways, Luc can cover ground farther and faster than any normal human can. Luc is able to move freely and easily over all terrain, going over mountains, swamps, bogs, sand or even broken or hilly ground doesn't impede his ability to move in either combat or out of it. Open roads and flat grass lands let Luc go even faster when running for distance.

In water Luc is able to tirelessly swim for twelve hours, cutting through water like a fish.

[ ] Second Sight: Capable of perceiving the world in its spiritual format all manners of ghosts, spirits, elementals and even hints of the Quintet reaching through the world can be seen. While not capable of piercing deceptions, Luc will have a chance to actually notice them

[ ] Star Sight: Grandson of the Hesperides darkness holds no secrets for Luc, he can see almost as well as in the daylight. More importantly Star Sight ensures Luc is never unable to navigate where he came from and where he wants to generally go thanks to an entirely instinctive knowledge of the stars.

[ ] Write In: Subject to GM approval

[] Nymphs Share: Lovers will find sharing Luc less objectionable

[] Dazzling Light: Light always seems to catch an opponents eye in just the wrong way when they are about to attack you. Effectively like the opponent is dealing with the sun being behind you.
This one is because Aegle means "Dazzling Light" and the Hesperides are nymphs of the sunset and so it seemed fitting.

[] Garden Guardian: When amongst plants you're always treated as alert for approaching enemies, even when asleep.

Last edited:
[X] Bridge between worlds: Luc's mystical heritage is obvious and instantly recognizable by supernatural beings. More importantly those capable of rational thought will recognize and deal with Luc as having supernatural status and rank instead of being just another haughty mortal lord.

[X] Second Sight: Capable of perceiving the world in its spiritual format all manners of ghosts, spirits, elementals and even hints of the Quintet reaching through the world can be seen. While not capable of piercing deceptions, Luc will have a chance to actually notice them

[X] Arete: The distilled essence of skill allows one to beyond the limitations of the mortal frame.
In game effects this means pursuing Skills beyond one's abilities, for example Swordmanship 4 with Luc's Body 2, encounters no additional difficulty and faces no upkeep.

[X] Bridge between worlds: Luc's mystical heritage is obvious and instantly recognizable by supernatural beings. More importantly those capable of rational thought will recognize and deal with Luc as having supernatural status and rank instead of being just another haughty mortal lord.

~ Longevity: Once Luc hits his full adult growth he will retain his youthful vitality, death will still take him but it won't be as a frail and infirm old man.
Was this meant to mean that he could still die from anything besides aging, or does this mean that he still lives precisely as long as he would otherwise, it's just that he doesn't show any aging right up until age kills him?

Like he still looks 25 when he's 75 but then he just dies of old age like normal anyways? I mean granted that is kind of longevity, a lot of people would kill for that in real life, but it's kind of not what fiction usually has and it's kind of weird way for it to work.

[ ] Arete: The distilled essence of skill allows one to beyond the limitations of the mortal frame.
I think it was mentioned at times that 5 is the mortal skill limit except for particularly epic adventurers, would this allow skill beyond that?

[X] Arete: The distilled essence of skill allows one to beyond the limitations of the mortal frame.

Fleet Run and Star Sight in their current state seem quite a bit inferior to the others. I mean being able to run fast doesn't help much in this sort of game, since it doesn't make the rest of your party any faster, nor let your army keep up with you. Plus it's likely not any better than a good horse from its description. Night Vision doesn't seem like it would help all that much either unless you intend to do a lot of solo scouting maybe, but its uses are very limited compared to the others.

Training is also affected by attributes - an attribute that's much higher than the skill you're training may speed up training time significantly.
Could I get a description of how this works? And I kind of want a write in power that boosts attribute levels for the purposes of training only by +1. Like an Arete 2.

Last edited:
What exactly does "supernatural status and rank" mean/entail?

In a nut shell: Magical beings will go "Oh he's a Noble" in their frame of reference.

Using Luc's brother Jose as an example

A river spirit would never consider acknowledging Jose as being different from every other mortal out there. Jose status as a March means nothing beyond the fact that Jose actually has money.

The same river spirit would greet Luc as a visiting guest of status, hear him out politely, and generally accord respect.

Without the Trait Luc's going to be treated as a bit of a country knight, he's got skill, weapons and no money. He's supernatural enough to get acknowledged but not enough to be bumped to the head of the line.

Was this meant to mean that he could still die from anything besides aging, or does this mean that he still lives precisely as long as he would otherwise, it's just that he doesn't show any aging right up until age kills him?

Like he still looks 25 when he's 75 but then he just dies of old age like normal anyways? I mean granted that is kind of longevity, a lot of people would kill for that in real life, but it's kind of not what fiction usually has and it's kind of weird way for it to work.

You've got a point on it being a bit weird. Luc can still die from any number of things including old age but he's going out with a head full of hair, none of the weakness's of old age or its little infirmities. At 75 he'll still be able to fight, frolic with the ladies and be every bit as cunning as he is today, his hands won't shake with palsy and his features will still be distinguished. A way of putting would be "75 year old Sean Connery via magic of Hollywood is still capable of kicking your ass"

I think it was mentioned at times that 5 is the mortal skill limit except for particularly epic adventurers, would this allow skill beyond that?
Yes it will.

Fleet Run and Star Sight in their current state seem quite a bit inferior to the others. I mean being able to run fast doesn't help much in this sort of game, since it doesn't make the rest of your party any faster, nor let your army keep up with you. Plus it's likely not any better than a good horse from its description. Night Vision doesn't seem like it would help all that much either unless you intend to do a lot of solo scouting maybe, but its uses are very limited compared to the others.

A fair point, I'll edit in a bit for Fleet Run & Star Sight.

Fleet Run: Luc is able to move freely and easily over all terrain, going over mountains, swamps, bogs, sand or even broken or hilly ground doesn't impede his ability to move in either combat or out of it. Open roads and flat grass lands let Luc go even faster when running for distance.

Star Sight: More importantly Star Sight ensures Luc is never unable to navigate where he came from and where he wants to generally go thanks to an entirely instinctive knowledge of the stars.

Could I get a description of how this works? And I kind of want a write in power that boosts attribute levels for the purposes of training only by +1. Like an Arete 2.

For attributes that are greater by a margin of 2 by the skill training is speed up or supplemented. To use an in game example for Luc Soul is massively above Force or Water, training in either would grant an additional spell.
Or if Luc decides to train up Poetry (Charm) from zero he'd hit Poetry 1 (1/4) for one action, then Poetry 1 (3/4) for another, and finally 2 (1/9) for a third action.

I'm not going to allow a write in of : Arete 2, attributes are +1 for purposes of training

For attributes that are greater by a margin of 2 by the skill training is speed up or supplemented. To use an in game example for Luc Soul is massively above Force or Water, training in either would grant an additional spell.
Or if Luc decides to train up Poetry (Charm) from zero he'd hit Poetry 1 (1/4) for one action, then Poetry 1 (3/4) for another, and finally 2 (1/9) for a third action.

I'm not going to allow a write in of : Arete 2, attributes are +1 for purposes of training
Hmm significantly less beneficial than I figured anyways.

I had for some reason thought it was something like (Attribute - Skill) as a divisor of training times. I.e. ranking up Water would be 5-2 = 3 dividing training time.

I'm still trying to come up with good write in options since I don't really like the second one besides Arete.

It also seems like Bridge Between Worlds and Second Sight are required to go together to get much use. I mean if it takes Second Sight to perceive them then Bridge is mostly useless without it. There's significantly less benefit from them favoring us if we can't hear or see them to even know they're there and bargain with them.

Fleet Run: Luc is able to move freely and easily over all terrain, going over mountains, swamps, bogs, sand or even broken or hilly ground doesn't impede his ability to move in either combat or out of it. Open roads and flat grass lands let Luc go even faster when running for distance.
Not sure if this even makes a difference. I was more hoping for something along the lines of Wind at your Heels, your entire parties' movement speed is increased out of combat.

Okay ideas for other write-ins.

[] Nymphs Share: Lovers will find sharing Luc less objectionable

Since honestly would have been nice for some of the routes people thought about in the original Feudal. Blatant grab for the harem route!

[] Dazzling Light: Light always seems to catch an opponents eye in just the wrong way when they are about to attack you. Effectively like the opponent is dealing with the sun being behind you.

This one is because Aegle means "Dazzling Light" and the Hesperides are nymphs of the sunset and so it seemed fitting.

[] Garden Guardian: When amongst plants you're always treated as alert for approaching enemies, even when asleep.

This is another one based on the mythos, since the Hesperides were supposed to guard the golden apple trees. Though ability to grow magical plants would also fit with that possibly.

It also seems like Bridge Between Worlds and Second Sight are required to go together to get much use. I mean if it takes Second Sight to perceive them then Bridge is mostly useless without it. There's significantly less benefit from them favoring us if we can't hear or see them to even know they're there and bargain with them.
How does Bridge Between Worlds work if we don't take Second Sight?

Right now kind of inclined to go with:
[X] Nymphs Share: Lovers will find sharing Luc less objectionable

Though Arete might not be so crazy valuable as my initial estimation because our Skills are so low that training them all up beyond our attributes would take a long long time anyways. Plus getting to inhuman skill ranks like 6+ would be extra ridiculous since it takes 25 training slots to get a rank 5 skill, and it would take 36 to get a rank 6 skill so we'd really need to tunnel on training for quite a while and I don't expect the GM to let us tunnel exclusively on training for prolonged periods anyways. Would really need some way to improve training times to get the best out of it.

The second one is just personal inclination since there were just so many interesting women in the first Feudal that didn't end up going a polygamy route as ShaperV indicated was possible.

Otherwise I'd go Bridge, but I've a little negativity on its value considering running into magical beings just isn't that common. It's powerful in its niche, but the niche is small.

Bit underpowered, in my opinion.
Perhaps, I was kind of reaching since I hadn't thought my idea for Arete 2 overpowered, particularly given how minor the bonus to learning speed from high stats is so I might have undershot.

Maybe something along the lines of greater sexual endurance and satisfaction in lovers might fit. So you never have trouble satisfying them all.

[x] Nymphs Share: Lovers will find sharing Luc less objectionable
[x] Second Sight: Capable of perceiving the world in its spiritual format all manners of ghosts, spirits, elementals and even hints of the Quintet reaching through the world can be seen. While not capable of piercing deceptions, Luc will have a chance to actually notice them

[X] Bridge between worlds

Current situation:

Vote tally:
##### 1.1.1
No. of votes: 2
hunter09
BFldyq
[X] Bridge between worlds
No. of votes: 1
Walkir

[X] Second Sight: Capable of perceiving the world in its spiritual format all manners of ghosts, spirits, elementals and even hints of the Quintet reaching through the world can be seen. While not capable of piercing deceptions, Luc will have a chance to actually notice them
No. of votes: 2
hunter09
Kelenas

No. of votes: 4
BFldyq
inverted_helix
Marthis
nairit

No. of votes: 5
inverted_helix
Kelenas
Marthis
Walkir
nairit

Well Nymph's Share and Arete are in the lead.

Will be closing the vote roughly around 1 am Wednesday MST.

Did you see the proposed "bring up to scratch" version of Nymph's Share?
It seems likely that given it's already in the lead he probably doesn't think it needs any more. Though it really surprises me so many people voted for such a poorly worded bonus. It occurred to me a number of ways I should have originally stated it to be less ambiguous. As it is there's a lot of "literal genie" issues with the wording.
Will be closing the vote roughly around 1 am Wednesday MST.
Is that Malaysia standard time or Mountain standard time? (+8 or -7)

mountain time.

and feel free to suggest improved versions s of it inverted helix

Because there's no freaking way QQ isn't about to make Luc a womanizer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back