• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

John Oliver on Donald Trump

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like Kasich, but he's got no chance. Cruz is a fool who distracted people from his voting record by doing the opposite of whatever Trump is doing. Sanders basically ignores the concept that you have to pay your bills and Hillary would tear up the Constitution.

I voted Trump for the nominee and I'll vote for him in the presidential election. I like the idea of building up our borders, I like the idea of pulling back businesses so that our money isn't hemorrhaging to other nations. I like the idea of making an America that works first for Americans. I'm sick of my country being whored out and then punished when it tries to hold some back for itself, I'm sick of criminals being allowed to run free at the expense of law-abiding citizens, I'm sick of watching my money swirl down the endless government drain to prop up people who have no intention of ever getting off welfare.

And a huge chunk of the country feels the same way I do. For years and years, both parties courted minority groups and fringe demographics and then yammered on about the silent majority. Well now the silent majority has someone who speaks to their concerns and everybody else is upset because they're being drowned out. You can't stump the Trump. Make America great again.
...Well, if you're just going to ignore everything, what the hell. Why not vote for a man who bankrupted every buisness he's ever been involved in, a man who advocates the murder of children, a man who thinks he'll be able to dictate what other countries do?

You clearly don't care about ethics or common sense.

...Well, if you're just going to ignore everything, what the hell. Why not vote for a man who bankrupted every buisness he's ever been involved in, a man who advocates the murder of children, a man who thinks he'll be able to dictate what other countries do?

You clearly don't care about ethics or common sense.
Because of course anyone who disagrees with your politics is Bad Wrong and voting for literally Hitler, and should be put into Thought Prison for committing the Though Crime of not holding your same values.

You guys do realize Trump is a pure showman, right?

I doubt he's said a single word he's actually meant the entire election cycle. He knows what the xenophobic morons that make up the Republican base want to hear (Watch Fox News. Repeat verbatim.) and he just says it in the most obnoxious way possible because it makes him seem "authentic" to their pea brains.

Honestly the man's pretty much running the perfect campaign.

You guys do realize Trump is a pure showman, right?

I doubt he's said a single word he's actually meant the entire election cycle. He knows what the xenophobic morons that make up the Republican base want to hear (Watch Fox News. Repeat verbatim.) and he just says it in the most obnoxious way possible because it makes him seem "authentic" to their pea brains.

Honestly the man's pretty much running the perfect campaign.
Don't try to make him look less dangerous. He's already inciting violence.

You remember when Trump said that all Muslims in America should wear visible identification at all times?
I mean, it's not a YELLOW STAR, but if you're gonna raise the comparison, I'll certainly take you up on it.
Do you even look at your sources?

Its a word-press blog masquerading as a newsite, and now lets look at the website they source that say is Fox...

Oh wait.

http://foxnews.com.hk/donald-trump-introduces-plan-requiring-all-muslims-refugees-to-wear-badges/
ywBRO1F.png

You are looking at the equivalent of The Onion.

Don't try to make him look less dangerous. He's already inciting violence.

I'm being a realist here. Trump does what Trump does because he knows the morons will respond favorably.

I wouldn't be surprised if he takes a very VERY sharp turn to the left once the primary is done. After all, he's guaranteed the republicans and the average American voter has an institutional attention span of about 15 minutes. By November 95% of the crazy shit he's said will be completely forgotten.

Do you even look at your sources?
Not as well as I should, I'll grant you that.
Still, it's funny. I'd have thought mister wants to get rid of the first amendment would have kicked up a fuss if he didn't like what they were saying about him.

Not sure why you care to argue this, though. You were all for mass murder the last time we spoke. Change of heart?

Last edited:
Still, it's funny. I'd have thought mister wants to get rid of the first amendment would have kicked up a fuss if he didn't like what they were saying about him.

Not sure why you care to argue this, though. You were all for mass murder the last time we spoke. Change of heart?
Are you defending a fake news site, that uses other fake news sites as sources? And your claim therein.

I am not attacking their right to say it. Just calling out blatantly false bullshit that you didn't even bother checking because it fits your preconceptions.

Not even.

I bet he's using the same fake news site as a source. :p
No. He is using a fake news site called 'NewsExaminer' - which is mimicking a legitimate news site called The News and Observer, which references a fake news site calling itself foxnews (seriously, it even uses a fucking hong kong URL) purporting to be Fox News.

Not even.

I bet he's using the same fake news site as a source. :p
No. He is using a fake news site called 'NewsExaminer' - which is mimicking a legitimate news site called The News and Observer, which references a fake news site calling itself foxnews (seriously, it even uses a fucking hong kong URL) purporting to be Fox News.
No a defence, and not a he. I'll admit that I should have checked my source more closely, and I'll point out that you're quoting my admission.

But, well, you don't actually care. And I don't care what you think, really.

Why not vote for a man who bankrupted every buisness he's ever been involved in, a man who advocates the murder of children, a man who thinks he'll be able to dictate what other countries do?
Because he didn't, I support his position and he'll be able to.

Trump's businesses are pretty darn successful, I'd say. I'm not gonna go dig up ten years' of financial records but we can see that he's wealthy enough to bankroll his own candidacy.

Terrorists are never going to respond to "civil" treatment. Even if we gave in to their every demand, they'd invent new reasons to hate and kill us. To stop them, we have to wipe them out, which includes their support bases, which may include their families. They murder families all the time; why should they be exempt? The hearts and minds approach has completely failed and will continue to fail. The high ground approach has not brought about understanding or open arms. It's time to put away high-minded notions and get to the gritty business of protecting our people.

America has historically been the leader of nations thanks to its economic and military power. The President is called the "leader of the free world" for good reason. When the world needs armed intervention, they turn to the United States to lead it. Whoever the president is, they'll have a phenomenal amount of international power and leverage over other nations. Having Mexico help build a border wall is hardly unbelievable.

Trump's businesses are pretty darn successful, I'd say. I'm not gonna go dig up ten years' of financial records but we can see that he's wealthy enough to bankroll his own candidacy.

Terrorists are never going to respond to "civil" treatment. Even if we gave in to their every demand, they'd invent new reasons to hate and kill us. To stop them, we have to wipe them out, which includes their support bases, which may include their families. They murder families all the time; why should they be exempt? The hearts and minds approach has completely failed and will continue to fail. The high ground approach has not brought about understanding or open arms. It's time to put away high-minded notions and get to the gritty business of protecting our people.

America has historically been the leader of nations thanks to its economic and military power. The President is called the "leader of the free world" for good reason. When the world needs armed intervention, they turn to the United States to lead it. Whoever the president is, they'll have a phenomenal amount of international power and leverage over other nations. Having Mexico help build a border wall is hardly unbelievable.

I'll be honest. I can't stand the man but...

4 years of Trump > 8 Years of Hillary

Though if the FBI actually gets off its ass and does its fucking job... I'll be voting Sanders.

He's wealthy because he spends other people's money while safeguarding his own.
TL: DR Edition: You're interested in becoming a terrorist. Well done, pat yourself on the back for coming up with a plan that leads to losing moral high ground over indiscriminate murderers while strengthening their recruitment efforts.
America has historically been the leader of nations thanks to its economic and military power. The President is called the "leader of the free world" for good reason. When the world needs armed intervention, they turn to the United States to lead it.
No, that's actually not true.
Whoever the president is, they'll have a phenomenal amount of international power and leverage over other nations. Having Mexico help build a border wall is hardly unbelievable.
The man's plan isn't "help". It's "Have Mexico pay the entire cost of a wall that extends along the entire border, without asking if they want the wall".

That's not going to happen.

TL: DR Edition: You're interested in becoming a terrorist. Well done, pat yourself on the back for coming up with a plan that leads to losing moral high ground over indiscriminate murderers while strengthening their recruitment efforts.
We're not losing anything, moral high-ground doesn't exist in war. The best thing to do is to get it over with as quickly and as permanently as possible. Holding back out of misguided notions of morality will just lead to a lengthy conflict that leaves the area ripe for future battles. And their recruitment efforts never took a hit, ISIS is a rapidly growing movement that started as a tiny group and is now threatening the entire middle-east, because they represent what the people over there want. They want to be militant, to be religiously extreme, to be violent and kill the Great Satan. We can't reason with these people, they won't be impressed with our goodness because they ignore it. The only thing to do is to end the threat.

No, that's actually not true.
Yes, it actually is. The US led or contributed to nearly every military coalition, plus it supplies and advises many others. When Obama initially declined to lead the recent coalition against ISIL, all Europe was surprised and dismayed. America has the largest economy of any single nation and sends out the most foreign aid (which doesn't seem to get much gratitude) despite its own economic struggles.

That's not going to happen.
Even if it doesn't and the US has to pay some or all of the cost, I support a wall entirely.

We're not losing anything, moral high-ground doesn't exist in war. The best thing to do is to get it over with as quickly and as permanently as possible. Holding back out of misguided notions of morality will just lead to a lengthy conflict that leaves the area ripe for future battles. And their recruitment efforts never took a hit, ISIS is a rapidly growing movement that started as a tiny group and is now threatening the entire middle-east, because they represent what the people over there want. They want to be militant, to be religiously extreme, to be violent and kill the Great Satan. We can't reason with these people, they won't be impressed with our goodness because they ignore it. The only thing to do is to end the threat.
And onto ignore you go.

lol

and you're actually unironically saying that the people trying to actively curtail the rights of the average American citizen aren't on the Democratic side.

that's silly

you're silly

I like Kasich, but he's got no chance. Cruz is a fool who distracted people from his voting record by doing the opposite of whatever Trump is doing. Sanders basically ignores the concept that you have to pay your bills and Hillary would tear up the Constitution.

I voted Trump for the nominee and I'll vote for him in the presidential election. I like the idea of building up our borders, I like the idea of pulling back businesses so that our money isn't hemorrhaging to other nations. I like the idea of making an America that works first for Americans. I'm sick of my country being whored out and then punished when it tries to hold some back for itself, I'm sick of criminals being allowed to run free at the expense of law-abiding citizens, I'm sick of watching my money swirl down the endless government drain to prop up people who have no intention of ever getting off welfare.

And a huge chunk of the country feels the same way I do. For years and years, both parties courted minority groups and fringe demographics and then yammered on about the silent majority. Well now the silent majority has someone who speaks to their concerns and everybody else is upset because they're being drowned out. You can't stump the Trump. Make America great again.
HIGH ENERGY

You know, I see a lot of misinformation on COIN operations here. There is a reason modern COIN has a mjor focus on "hearts and minds"--violent pacification of a region requires troop ratios of like 1 soldier for every 25 civilians, an absurdly impractical number. The British shut down the Malay Emergency by giving Malaysian Chinese a better alternative to supporting the communists, the Wehrmacht increased the number of partisan bands operating against them in Ukraine by an order of magnitude by attempting genocide. These are the sort of opinions held by people who don't realise that the Rhodesians lost the Bush War because of their tunnelvisionesque focus on a military solution. This is how the USA lost Vietnam and the USSR lost Afghanistan--the amount of brutality required to actually wipe out an issue is logistically impractical.

The solution to Islamic extremism is to provide a viable alternative to it. The Muslim Brotherhood, for example, is a potent political force because the acts of Middle Eastern tinpot dictators drove resistance into the mosques. Daesh has success recruiting Sunni tribesmen in Iraq because they perceive the.selves as being disenfranchised by the government in Baghdad (actually, that's primarily a failure of Malik's government to follow American advice when he purged Sunnis from his government--the Iraqis were in a perfect position to take advantage of the Anbar Awakening but they cocked it up with sectarian politics).

The whole issue was the west committed too much to not create hostility but not enough to counteract that hostility in my opinion.

The solution to Islamic extremism is to provide a viable alternative to it.
That's been tried, notably when we deposed Saddam Hussein and installed a democratic government. Remember when everyone was so happy to be voting and showing off their purple-dyed fingers? And now its all going down the drain because the extremists are motivated and the moderates aren't. I've read plenty of testimonies from soldiers describing how the native armies we trained drop their weapons and hide when the Taliban or ISIS attacks.

The whole issue was the west committed too much to not create hostility but not enough to counteract that hostility in my opinion.
I agree with this: Either commit entirely or stay out; half-measures just breed a new generation of enemies. But the political and economic willpower isn't there. IMO we should have never involved ourselves, playing World Police is more trouble than its worth.

Well, part of the reason seemed to be that, I think al-Maliki's government, had a little too much in the way of fingers in the sectarian pie. The US managed to implement a fairly pluralist government over time, which is why the Anbar Awakening happened in part, when large numbers of Sunni tribesmen in Anbar Provonce basically turned on Al-Qaeda. Then al-Maliki purged a bunch of Sunnis from his government and reduced the money flowing into Sunni areas in favour of his Shia power base and Anbar lost a lot of public services and work, leaving a bunch of unemployed youth with little in the way of public support. This was somewhat inevitable with a state with such poorly integrated ethnic groups, and I can kind of blame that on Sykes Picot and all the tinpot dictators who followed that exploited those ethnic and religious divisions to get power.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back