• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
How will Taylor and Lisa meet? Taylor's "patrols" are infrequent and likely random beyond 'what patch of gang turf can I reach in about an hour,' plus she's immune to Lisa's power, so no improbable deduction to plan an intercept. Lisa doesn't go to school, so trying to meet Taylor there seems problematic (the Ward school is probably more security-conscious than most). The planned movie outing got re-booked to the on-base theatre, so no window there. Frankly, Taylor goes out so little that it's going to be hard for Lisa to meet up at all for a while.

Any ideas how Lisa is going to arrange an introduction?

How will Taylor and Lisa meet? Taylor's "patrols" are infrequent and likely random beyond 'what patch of gang turf can I reach in about an hour,' plus she's immune to Lisa's power, so no improbable deduction to plan an intercept. Lisa doesn't go to school, so trying to meet Taylor there seems problematic (the Ward school is probably more security-conscious than most). The planned movie outing got re-booked to the on-base theatre, so no window there. Frankly, Taylor goes out so little that it's going to be hard for Lisa to meet up at all for a while.

Probably indirect modeling, using her conspiracy wall. Even when humans try we rarely achieve true randomness. I did an omake where she eventually figured out some of her non-hero runs and managed to get a hit eventually.

Lisa bereft of her Thinker powers has to rely on her own wits to setup a meeting with Taylor, so naturally she inadvertently creates a meet cute between the two of them right in front of Lily no less.

Lily: Why? Why couldn't it have been me!

Still that is the grounds for a very unhealthy relationship between the two with Taylor reaching levels of checking her girlfriend's phone to make sure isn't talking to anyone she doesn't approve of because that is what it would probably take for Taylor to be convinced this isn't a long con of some kind.
My point was that it would be a very unhealthy relationship, although I was careful to refer to Lilly as a minion rather than girlfriend because that would be the primary relationship and any romantic or sexual relationship would develop from that rather than the other way around. i.e Taylor wouldn't escalate to checking her girlfriend's phone - by the time she'd be willing to accept any intimate relationship with Lilly she'd either be checking Lilly's phone on a regular basis or would not feel a need to do so.

Any who tell him that will be told to come up with a solution that lets him do that.
That depends on what they see their job as. If they seriously want to benefit the organization, or even just this branch, they'll tell Armstrong the truth because leaving Taylor as she is, is toxic to the group. Likewise if they see themselves as working to better the lives of their patients. It's only if they're just trying to coast along without caring much (or are incompetent) that they'd fail to tell Armstrong what he needs to hear, instead of only what he wants to hear.

Ok, this story hasn't been updated in seven months, why do I keep seeing this thread bumped to the top? I'm not for mods shutting down necromancy, but isn't this a bit ridiculous at this point? Is the debate just circling around or actually going somewhere?

Ok, this story hasn't been updated in seven months, why do I keep seeing this thread bumped to the top? I'm not for mods shutting down necromancy, but isn't this a bit ridiculous at this point? Is the debate just circling around or actually going somewhere?
Honestly, the phase between last and the previous one is even funnier*, with thread going from 15 to 39 pages between 5th July 2022 and 2nd April 2023 (with the update before that being on first page, 20th Dec 2021). QQ does have a rule against necromancy, but that applies from last comment, not last threadmark. Don't think any other thread manages to keep updated like this.

But more germane to your question would be that latest threadmarked omake was posted on Oct 27, four pages ago; in this fic omakes outnumber updates so if you haven't read any maybe try them out. That said, whether debate circles...Eh, most discussion in this thread is either anti-authoritian or about Taylor's issues, even when it finds a new thing to ponder.

* It's like god(of the word) has left for milk, but its people live, laugh, love on the idea.
That depends on what they see their job as. If they seriously want to benefit the organization, or even just this branch, they'll tell Armstrong the truth because leaving Taylor as she is, is toxic to the group. Likewise if they see themselves as working to better the lives of their patients. It's only if they're just trying to coast along without caring much (or are incompetent) that they'd fail to tell Armstrong what he needs to hear, instead of only what he wants to hear.
And if they do tell him, Taylor gets to feel betrayed by breaking of patient-therapist confidentiality!*

* May not actually work like this, but for Taylor's feelings it is Taylor whose opinion counts.

Anyway, they may also not tell the truth because they don't trust Armstrong to fire them over unpleasant news (even if he doesn't initially, then later to replace the therapist with someone who would get Taylor to work with wards).

And if they do tell him, Taylor gets to feel betrayed by breaking of patient-therapist confidentiality!*

* May not actually work like this, but for Taylor's feelings it is Taylor whose opinion counts.

Anyway, they may also not tell the truth because they don't trust Armstrong to fire them over unpleasant news (even if he doesn't initially, then later to replace the therapist with someone who would get Taylor to work with wards).

Only if Armstrong uses the shrinks Taylor talks to. If OTOH he uses someone outside that profiling her based on non-confidential sources? He's more in the clear.

What I'm interested in, did Taylor ever meet her handler, "Miss Not Appearing Yet in this Fic"? I mean this PRT agent is her guardian of record, did she even talk to Taylor outside of perhaps a quick meet and greet on Taylor's first day of tying the system into knots? Or is that also something requiring a full identity and locked behind the power testing wall?

Last edited:
What I'm interested in, did Taylor ever meet her handler, "Miss not appearing in this fic"? I mean this PRT agent is her guardian of record, did she even talk to Taylor outside of perhaps a quick meet and greet on Taylor's first day of tying the system into knots? Or is that also something requiring a full identity and locked behind the power testing wall?
Pretty sure Taylor only met her the one time when her dad was dropping her off in Boston, probably had to be there for the paper work after all.

And here is the quote:
— technically, Agent Janet Watkins, who I had only met once — was a PRT
So there is nothing stopping Taylor's guardian from contacting her in fact Weld of all people has had more interaction with Taylor's guardian than Taylor herself.
"I even tried her handler — Agent Watkins, before you ask — and they all just wanted to talk about 'opportunities for socialization' and 'team integration.' I think they honestly expected Phase to see the rest of us being friends and thus give into their requests."

I wonder what parent-teacher night is going to be like? Or does a half-dozen "parents" in identical, government-issue cars, with builds, clothing, and posture that just screams "fed" pose too much of a security risk?

Also, what might the teachers have to say? "If I didn't know she is already a Ward of the state, I would be calling CPS for suspicion of abuse."

half-dozen "parents" in identical, government-issue cars, with builds, clothing, and posture that just screams "fed" pose too much of a security risk?
I don't think all of the Wards are wards of the state like Taylor, Lily, Weld, and Hunch so they probably have actual parents in Boston.

However I do think there are exceptions made for those in the Wards program when it comes the parent teacher meetings. Like how there are rules regarding Wards being called in during school hours in the case of emergencies like what happen at the bank in canon. Though things like that are probably used less frequently in Boston than Brockton on account of actually competent leadership.
Also, what might the teachers have to say? "If I didn't know she is already a Ward of the state, I would be calling CPS for suspicion of abuse."
They do have her old records from Winslow including the bullying allegations, at most they will bring up her painful lack of socialization with anyone.

in this fic omakes outnumber updates so if you haven't read any maybe try them out.
The problem is, none of them are marked canon or not, so default assumption is that they aren't relevant to the actual story, and thus ignorable. I've read most of them, and I'm pretty sure some of them incompatible with each other as a single continuity. It's real hard to care when another omake gets a threadmark in this thread. I've just accepted that the author went out for milk and cigs months ago and we just need to move on. This thread is just another interesting concept of a story that unfortunately didn't have any legs.

The problem is, none of them are marked canon or not, so default assumption is that they aren't relevant to the actual story, and thus ignorable. I've read most of them, and I'm pretty sure some of them incompatible with each other as a single continuity. It's real hard to care when another omake gets a threadmark in this thread. I've just accepted that the author went out for milk and cigs months ago and we just need to move on. This thread is just another interesting concept of a story that unfortunately didn't have any legs.

I would not be at all surprised if the reason for no new content is difficulty in maintaining motivation. The comments in this thread feel like they are for a different story with how little they address the actual events of the story in favor of circle jerking themselves into a frenzy over things that didn't actually happen. Real hard to keep an interest in writing when it feels like the readers aren't actually reading what you wrote.

So, Lily is kinda thirsty for Taylor. How long until she pops the question, and how will it go? Laughter? Accusations of a set-up? Comparisons to prostitution? Blushing and flustered stammering?

So, Lily is kinda thirsty for Taylor. How long until she pops the question, and how will it go? Laughter? Accusations of a set-up? Comparisons to prostitution? Blushing and flustered stammering?
Taylor probably wouldn't take it well due to both the bullying destroying her self-esteem and self image, to point where she just assumes no one can find her attractive, and her belief that the PRT is out to manipulate her.

So yeah it would probably be accusations of it being a set-up, as well as Taylor internally comparing it prostitution and losing respect for Lily for going through with it.

You have some good points there, even if I don't wholly agree. It's a shame omakes don't work for you, but fwiw they're generally quick snippets that only relate to the main story in all fics I've read, and are non-canon unless marked otherwise in any story (some users put omakes under sidestory tab) -

...Though well, ultimately all words are ignorable, & Wildbow stopped updating Worm over a decade ago. Then again, it is true indeed some want more writers to move on from worm n.n' ; anyway point being that primary fiction being finished is no reason to move on.

- also, worth mentioning just in case (though you probably already know) about the Implacable (43k) rec ITT for different take on the concept.
I would not be at all surprised if the reason for no new content is difficulty in maintaining motivation. The comments in this thread feel like they are for a different story with how little they address the actual events of the story in favor of circle jerking themselves into a frenzy over things that didn't actually happen. Real hard to keep an interest in writing when it feels like the readers aren't actually reading what you wrote.
Eh, who do you think threadmarks the omakes?

Anyway, you can be the change you want to see. (That is to say, while you've contributed to thread several times with addressing doomy comments, you haven't actually reviewed the latest chapter yet.)

{Well, if you want to. Quite understandable to lack interest or find everything you'd say has already been said and then some(, especially in this context :> ) }

The thing is, zero of those omakes are marked canon, yet discussion around them acts like they are. Largely due to the actual story updates stopped months ago and the omakes are all that there is to go off of anymore.

Taylor probably wouldn't take it well due to both the bullying destroying her self-esteem and self image, to point where she just assumes no one can find her attractive, and her belief that the PRT is out to manipulate her.

So yeah it would probably be accusations of it being a set-up, as well as Taylor internally comparing it prostitution and losing respect for Lily for going through with it.
If Taylor happens to mention that, or imply it strongly enough that Lily realizes what she's thinking, that's going to have Flechette pretty pissed at her bosses. Mind you, if Taylor knows just the right (or wrong) things about Lily's home life, she may jump to the conclusion that Lily doesn't feel like she has a choice about complying.

On another note, if Taylor still trusts her Youth Guard rep at that point, she's likely to report (her version of) this to him, which could lead to some interesting conversations.

Last edited:
The thing is, zero of those omakes are marked canon, yet discussion around them acts like they are. Largely due to the actual story updates stopped months ago and the omakes are all that there is to go off of anymore.
The thing is, those omakes are on topic, this argument is not.
If you don't like the omakes? Don't read, but stop derailing the thread.

EDIT:
On another note, if Taylor still trusts her Youth Guard rep at that point, she's likely to report (her version of) this to him, which could lead to some interesting conversations.
That would be pretty amusing.

If Taylor happens to mention that, or imply it strongly enough that Lily realizes what she's thinking, that's going to have Flechette pretty pissed at her bosses. Mind you, if Taylor knows just the right (or wrong) things about Lily's home life, she may jump to the conclusion that Lily doesn't feel like she has a choice about complying.

Frankly, I wouldn't blame Taylor for assuming Lily was being used as a honeypot to try to seduce Taylor into getting with the program.
In the actual story Taylor already said something to that effect with overtures of friendship from the other Wards.
I'd have probably come to the same conclusion in Taylor's place.

Frankly, I wouldn't blame Taylor for assuming Lily was being used as a honeypot to try to seduce Taylor into getting with the program.
In the actual story Taylor already said something to that effect with overtures of friendship from the other Wards.
I'd have probably come to the same conclusion in Taylor's place.

Yeah, Taylor's ability to trust will take time, probably years, to rebuild. Even with dedicated help.

Notice how the school isn't pressuring Taylor to 'make friends', 'be more open', or "join a club, it will do you good!"?

Because they've quickly recognized just getting Taylor through the door is a huge lift for her. And this is a process that can not be rushed.

Because they've quickly recognized just getting Taylor through the door is a huge lift for her. And this is a process that can not be rushed.
That part is the thing that Armstrong, or at least the people pressuring him, are ignoring, or refusing to acknowledge. It's also a pretty important part, that is screwing over their attempts as much or more than the other factors.

Yeah, Taylor's ability to trust will take time, probably years, to rebuild. Even with dedicated help.

Notice how the school isn't pressuring Taylor to 'make friends', 'be more open', or "join a club, it will do you good!"?

Taylor might be more inclined to make friends with somebody NOT one of the Wards, but she deliberately did not find out who their civilian identities are so that they couldn't use that knowledge as an excuse to keep a hold on her.
That part is the thing that Armstrong, or at least the people pressuring him, are ignoring, or refusing to acknowledge. It's also a pretty important part, that is screwing over their attempts as much or more than the other factors.
It's also sadly normal when dealing with teens. "No, you can't leave the program. Accept it and move on. Get over yourself and get with the program, stop fighting us every step of the way."

Taylor might be more inclined to make friends with somebody NOT one of the Wards, but she deliberately did not find out who their civilian identities are so that they couldn't use that knowledge as an excuse to keep a hold on her.
Taylor does know their civilian identities. She knows who she wants to avoid. The issue is she doesn't think she can have any non-Ward friends for long wothout outing herself as a Ward. She can't exactly invite any friends over to her place, after all.

Taylor does know their civilian identities. She knows who she wants to avoid. The issue is she doesn't think she can have any non-Ward friends for long wothout outing herself as a Ward. She can't exactly invite any friends over to her place, after all.

That and Taylor doesn't have Trust Issues now. She's decided it is cheaper just to buy out the Publishing House. So she is not going to open up easily, to anyone.

That and Taylor doesn't have Trust Issues now. She's decided it is cheaper just to buy out the Publishing House. So she is not going to open up easily, to anyone.
Well that isn't fair Taylor trusted her dad until he failed to recover from her mom's death, she trusted Emma until she stabbed her in the back, she trusted the school administrators until they failed to do anything about the bullying, and she trusted Miss Militia and the PRT until they revealed they weren't gonna do anything about Emma or Sophia. So you see Taylor doesn't have trust issues it is everyone else that simply can't help themselves but let her down.

Well that isn't fair Taylor trusted her dad until he failed to recover from her mom's death, she trusted Emma until she stabbed her in the back, she trusted the school administrators until they failed to do anything about the bullying, and she trusted Miss Militia and the PRT until they revealed they weren't gonna do anything about Emma or Sophia. So you see Taylor doesn't have trust issues it is everyone else that simply can't help themselves but let her down.
Yeah, Taylor's trust issues are very much a legitimately learned behavior.

And the greater irony is that at this point she got a precog power that theoretically should warm her of potential betrayals, a wealth of blackmailing information that makes the PRT/Protectorate using a honeypot strategy too risky to try, and the ability to leave the building without anyone short of Eidolon having the slightest chance of slowing her down so she could try to have friends with minimal risk, but as said before she has been burned so many times by quite literally everyone she interacted with after her mother's death that she will never take the risk.

12 Days of Malicious Christmas
Omake: Twelve Days of Malicious Compliance

On the first day of joining
My department did receive
A very angry teen

On the second day of joining
Two cover ups
And a very angry teen

On the third day of joining
Three blocked numbers
Two cover ups
And a very angry teen

On the fourth day of joining
Four loopholes
Three blocked numbers
Two cover ups
And a very angry teen

On the fifth day of joining
Five written warnings
Four loopholes
Three blocked numbers
Two cover ups
And a very angry teen

On the sixth day of joining
Six fucking audits
Five written warnings
Four loopholes
Three blocked numbers
Two cover ups
And a very angry teen

On the seventh day of joining
Seven Wards a-whining
Six fucking audits
Five written warnings
Four loopholes
Three blocked numbers
Two cover ups
And a very angry teen

On the eighth day of joining
Eight Youth Guard a-braying
Seven Wards a-whining
Six fucking auidts
Five written warnings
Four loopholes
Three blocked numbers
Two cover ups
And a very angry teen

On the ninth day of joining
Nine Thinkers screaming
Seven Wards a-whining
Six fucking audits
Five written warnings
Four loopholes
Three blocked numbers
Two cover ups
And a very angry teen

On the tenth day of joining
Ten secret outings
Nine Thinkers screaming
Seven Wards a-whining
Six fucking audits
Five written warnings
Four loopholes
Three blocked numbers
Two cover ups
And a very angry teen

On the eleventh day of joining
Eleven PR failures
Ten secret outings
Nine Thinkers screaming
Seven Wards a-whining
Six fucking audits
Five written warnings
Four loopholes
Three blocked numbers
Two cover ups
And a very angry teen

On the twelfth day of joining
Twelve vulpine grins
Eleven PR failures
Ten secret outings
Nine Thinkers screaming
Seven Wards a-whining
Six fucking audits
Five written warnings
Four loopholes
Three blocked numbers
Two cover ups
And a very angry teen

A.N: I did a thing and merry early Christmas to you all.

Also FirstSelector

Users who are viewing this thread

Back