• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

Make a Contract With Me! [Lag Backup Thread]

Malcolmo said:
So does anyone have any ideas what we want to do if we go with the extensive recon option? I'm assuming we're going to use the hell out of our scope in order to check for any other magicians or magical girls but beyond that what do you guys think would be a good idea for us to do.
We'd probably also scout out his non-magical resources and defenses, find out how quickly he can get support, figure his schedule and how it affects his defenses, and then we'll probably be spending a lot of time figuring out ways to bypass all of those things.

You know it's times like these I'm glad for our scope's ability to see through solid objects which should make investigating his non-magical resources a lot easier.
Also we should eventually try to pick up lip reading since it'd help make any other investigations like this a lot easier since we won't have to be in hearing range of people in order to guess what they're saying.

Awesome, also almost done with my next reactions post, I'll probably post it here.

No, discussion posts in this thread that normally wouldn't have been worth XP are worth XP. Reaction posts that would have been worth XP anyway are worth the same amount of XP.

Rihaku said:
No, discussion posts in this thread that normally wouldn't have been worth XP are worth XP. Reaction posts that would have been worth XP anyway are worth the same amount of XP.

Awww :(

Anyway, took a peek at the current status of what the mods are doing. Apparently one contributing factor to the ridiculous lag is that SB is running three updates behind the actual software it's using, and a lot of major issues got fixes over the last few updates.

Last edited by a moderator:
The problem with doing any discussion here is that not everyone bothered to come here and you can't be sure that your arguments are even going to be read by anyone other then the few people that actually come here.
It also doesn't help that the last few updates haven't even been posted here yet.

It should be possible to view the (one-page only) story-only thread just by googling "make a contract with me story only thread." Then you only have to wait 3-5 minutes for the laggy server to produce the thread, and can keep it open at your leisure. If you have Firefox, it's even easier.

It doesn't matter if other people read the arguments; for purposes of the update, it only matters that I do.

Got my next one up over at SB. That took a while.

Also, I can barely believe your writing speed and stamina, I've only written a bit over 3k words in a day and I'm tired out for now....

I may or may not continue doing these long reaction/rambling posts as needed while I have the time off the next couple days.

Heh, practice makes perfect. Writing stamina does go up considerably with repeated effort. When I started (as you can see in Dawn of Wizardry), quality and quantity were both quite a bit lower.

My quality and quantity of writing tends to vary, depending on stuff.

Like, I haven't done much of anything since THIS LAG. As opposed to 3 updates a day on Howling Fang at one point.

With 65k, we can also aim for scope 4 and 2 stat upgrades. Speed 3, Stability 2 sounds nice.

Serous said:
With 65k, we can also aim for scope 4 and 2 stat upgrades. Speed 3, Stability 2 sounds nice.
We could, yes, but I think a level 5 weapon magic technique (could be Scope 5 if it ends up being applicable to murder instead of Silver Bullet 5) would be a better use of it.

Silver bullet has lower speed and power than the rest of our bullets, and would be much easier to dodge or deflect. While it is indeed very good if it hits, against a Magician, our attack power is already sufficient. I rather increase our base stats to make it easier for us to connect with our attack.

Serous said:
Silver bullet has lower speed and power than the rest of our bullets, and would be much easier to dodge or deflect. While it is indeed very good if it hits, against a Magician, our attack power is already sufficient. I rather increase our base stats to make it easier for us to connect with our attack.

Actually, there's pretty fucking good odds that Tetsu will wind up going Lich before we can kill him. In which case, we're probably fucked without Silver Bullet.

Alectai said:
Actually, there's pretty fucking good odds that Tetsu will wind up going Lich before we can kill him. In which case, we're probably fucked without Silver Bullet.

Possibly, if we don't shoot his head off from far enough away his Lich would likely be too fast for us as we were, but with Scope 4, we're a lot better off. We use Scope to shoot Tetsu's head off and use the awareness granted to be able to hit the Lich with a Silver Bullet before it can get too close to us.

Scope 5 would have to be pretty hax to make it worth passing up Silver Bullet; Tetsu is most definitely not a squishy wizard. Odds are good it's necessary to put him down for good.

Silver Bullet 5 and Scope 4 is really the best of both worlds, even beyond the fact that it would be a compromise that would stop the arguments, please everyone and make no one unhappy.

I imagine all of the Level 5s are pretty crazy--shit on par with Tiro Finale I imagine.

The downside is that they are Really fucking expensive

Alectai said:
I imagine all of the Level 5s are pretty crazy--shit on par with Tiro Finale I imagine.

The downside is that they are Really fucking expensive
Well, it would be less of a problem if it wasn't for the lag that stops us from writing and posting all the reactions to the updates that we want to do.

True, it especially sucks that we lost most of the weekend bonus due to the lag taking the site down most of it >_<

Anyway, Silver Bullet is done, Scope is basically done, and if we take Tetsu down, the big push towards Discreet is probably resolved, especially since our guy isn't the sort to actively hunt down other Magi, Tetsu being the notable exception to bring justice to our family.

Until we break into the "Epic Magi" territories, we're probably going to be focusing mostly on refinement from here on out, and hopefully unlocking our Ultimate soon, if only to see what all the fuss is about :p

I mean, seriously, our guy's been at this just under a month, and he's already getting close to the pinnacle of what a "Magi" is usually capable of, and we can explicitly go above 5 when the right circumstances come along--I only hope those circumstances aren't "When this becomes Lich Quest" :(

Alectai said:
True, it especially sucks that we lost most of the weekend bonus due to the lag taking the site down most of it >_<
Hopefully we'll get another bonus during this weekend. Or get a lot of XP for finally killing Tetsu and ending this particular arc.

Do we know if either Arsenal or Discret won?

Deadly Snark said:
Hopefully we'll get another bonus during this weekend. Or get a lot of XP for finally killing Tetsu and ending this particular arc.

Discreet :p

No idea, Rihaku hasn't ruled on it yet, and I imagine going back and weighing the arguments is a bit hard with the whole "12 hour lag daily" periods we've gotten on a daily basis.

Seriously though, the last time it was this bad, SB actually Broke for a week. I really suggest we start thinking of having a full backup ready if things go to hell.

Deadly Snark said:

Rihaku hasn't said, so he's presumably either still going over the arguments or messing with us by keeping it locked.

Deadly Snark said:

Neither, Rihaku shot it down for later, everyone was getting too heated over it and not actually discussing, going in circles and the like.

We're at Scope 3 Coordination 4 and Speed 2 instead.

For this spending it's between Scope 4 + Stats or Scope 4 and Silver Bullet.

I'm for Silver Bullet, if only so people will Shut the fuck up over it so we can start focusing on foundational stuff in the future.

That said, it is pretty potent, and would all but trivialize all but the craftiest and most terrible Witches--I still suspect a Lich is going to be a legitimately intelligent foe though. Incubators don't usually indulge in vanities, and Witch is techncially a gender-neutral title.

Plus, on the sorting-algorithim of Evil--a Witch is usually a low-level horror, while a Lich is something stories revolve around fighting.

Alectai said:
I'm for Silver Bullet, if only so people will Shut the fuck up over it so we can start focusing on foundational stuff in the future.

That said, it is pretty potent, and would all but trivialize all but the craftiest and most terrible Witches--I still suspect a Lich is going to be a legitimately intelligent foe though. Incubators don't usually indulge in vanities, and Witch is techncially a gender-neutral title.

Plus, on the sorting-algorithim of Evil--a Witch is usually a low-level horror, while a Lich is something stories revolve around fighting.
Which makes me wonder. Are litches really created through despair like the Witches, or are they like the tales, where they are magicians who willingly went into the dark side for power in exchange of the last vestiges of their humanity?

Possibly, it might be how you get trans-5 stats. Or a "Fuck the World" button you can push when you die.

Alectai said:
Possibly, it might be how you get trans-5 stats. Or a "Fuck the World" button you can push when you die.
I'm pretty sure Rihaku mentioned that stats above five are unlocked after you get an ultimate.

Orm Embar said:
I'm pretty sure Rihaku mentioned that stats above five are unlocked after you get an ultimate.

Not just an Ultimate, but an Ultimate at level 3, which is a 90K investment in and of itself.

I really wonder how many Magi Actually have an Ultimate though? Especially since Tiro Finale seems to fit more as a pinnacle of the "Attachment of Life as used to Sever It" tree, and she's hit a brick wall with complexity because she can't cross the rank 5 gap yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back