• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

Nameless [ZnT/?] Quest.

Did... did Louise just use a Genma move?!?!

[x]I repeat weights off. Weird dream. You feel awesome and the binding clears up affinities. Maybe the forcible cycling knocked something back into place or a malicious binding loose. Try casting something small.\
\

Indeed she did.

Last edited by a moderator:
Like a smooth criminal.

[X] Okay. Calm down. Deep breaths. Look closely at runes.

[X] You... you are not flustered...
- - [X] Study the runes, you are said to be an EXCELLENT student in terms of theory, yes?
- - [X] Change your clothes and go see your teacher, Colbert...
- - [X] Show him the runes on your hand and explain what happened....

[X] Er. Okay... See if you can still cast... er... cause explosions.

[X] Okay, that may have been- no, let's be honest with ourself. That was stupid. Let's go talk to Colbert. Maybe he can make sense of this.

[X] The Gil Throw Yen Toss gold coin distraction trick, while epic, gets expensive fast. Just take to wearing some of those thin, comfortable ladies' gloves. Satin or whatever.
[X] To the library! There is studying to be done.

Out of curiosity, could we have actually summoned anything, if indeed we haven't?

- - [X] Study the runes, you are said to be an EXCELLENT student in terms of theory, yes?
- - [X] To the library! There is studying to be done.

Let's not go for Colbert, neh? Even in canon it's shown that he had to look through the library for a night to figure out what the runes were.

FUCK YES

OH FUUUUUCCCKKKK YEEESSS

ahhahahahahahahahHAHAHAHAHAHHASHAHUSUADVUJRFIGVJRTDF0GVJ90CUOSDJHV CIEFKD

>////< my write in actually did somehting holyshit it worked gfciedfh holyCRAAAAAAPHOLYMOTHEROFMADOKAMI!
- - [X] Change your clothes and go see your teacher, Colbert...
- - [X] Show him the runes on your hand and explain what happened....

=>> Important News.

Colbert looks a little sad when he first sees you, though he covers it quickly.

Then he looks horrified when you take off the riding glove and he sees the runes, and you have to talk very quickly to explain that, no, they're real and you haven't burned marks into your hand, it doesn't hurt a bit, before he stops trying to drag you off to the healers.

He still doesn't seem to quite believe it, but after taking drawings notes that the runes do look familiar, but not something that he knows instantly, like the common markings.

The talk continues in the library, with breakfast ignored. Colbert doesn't have lessons today until the afternoon, and he's a skilled enough teacher to teach them on memory rather than preparing in advance as he normally does.

"... of course, you understand, there are still concerns that will be raised." He admits, as he flips rapidly through a historical tome, while you paw up a codex of runic brandings. "To begin, well... even if it is legitimate, the fact will be noted that you have bound a mage as familiar."

You come to a quiet stop, perfectly still.

That's true.

On the one hand, there will be disbelief that the Zero could manage a proper familiar binding at all when you so utterly failed at the summoning. On the other, even if it's yourself, you have inflicted binding marks of property on a mage. That will not go unremarked upon.

Like a pair of doors, with a dragon behind the left and a manticore on the right. Either you're a failure or potentially a criminal.

"I don't suppose you've noticed anything different?" Colbert notes, nose buried so thoroughly in a book that he doesn't seem to recognize your sudden trepidation. "Familiar runes are generally for show, a side effect of the binding, simply displaying the world that 'this is a familiar'. Rarer ones, however, often include special qualities... it is debated upon whether these qualities are imbued by the runes themselves, or if the runes appear to display that this a familiar which can display these special qualities. Since we've been at work for... my, nearly an hour now, and not found any historical references, it's possible that there might be something of interest there. If nothing else, it may allow us to work things out from a different direction."

.... No, you don't really feel.... that different. You think?

There's that crazy dream, and the feeling when you just woke up, but that's already faded to the point where you hardly notice unless you're looking for it...

Actually, you don't know where you should begin looking to figure this out. Colbert is going through a litany of strange things... magical fiery breath, enhanced sight, increased potency of ven-you don't have any venom to begin with.

---

[ ] ??

Are you sure you don't have any venom? I mean, have you ever checked? Really, really checked? I think not.

[X] Are you sure you dont' have any venom? It's not like you've ever checked, you know...

[X] Bah, that's not important. Tell him what you know, however little that may be.

Edit- Beardman, thou art a ninja.

[X] Ask if there was ever a case of human or sapient beings being made a familiar since he mentioned binding a mage as a familiar. Probably best to start from there.

While we are most likely the Gandalfr, I noticed that there is no mention on which hand was branded.

[x]Think about what you are as human. The runes typically enhances natural traits to make best use. Also remember the weight. And the dream. Try things. Casting, writing, running, tool use, magic tool use, orders. Things humans use that can be made magical.

[X] "Things that are different? Well, there are those funny voices in my head... some of them keep telling me to throw away my pride for some reason..."

[X] Note that technically it is your hand that is branded and of course your body is your own property.

[X] Note that technically it is your hand that is branded and of course your body is your own property.

[X]Think about what you are as human. The runes typically enhances natural traits to make best use. Also remember the weight. And the dream. Try things. Casting, writing, running, tool use, magic tool use, orders. Things humans use that can be made magical.

[X] Ask if there was ever a case of human or sapient beings being made a familiar since he mentioned binding a mage as a familiar. Probably best to start from there.

[X] Think about what you are as human. The runes typically enhances natural traits to make best use. Also remember the weight. And the dream. Try things. Casting, writing, running, tool use, magic tool use, orders. Things humans use that can be made magical.

[X] Think about what you are as human. The runes typically enhances natural traits to make best use. Also remember the weight. And the dream. Try things. Casting, writing, running, tool use, magic tool use, orders. Things humans use that can be made magical.

[X] pick up a sword-wand?

Biigoh said:
[X] pick up a sword-wand?
We should be able to find one or two of those lying around the library, right?

Bobs Beard said:
Are you sure you don't have any venom? I mean, have you ever checked? Really, really checked? I think not.
[X] We should go find Malicorn or Guiche and unleash our venomous tongue, just to check.

=>> What you Are.

As a human.

No, as a noble. More than anything else, there is one thing.

You have magic. You are a mage. This is what you are, what defines you, even if you are flawed and imperfect.

"... I have to test my casting." You mutter.

Colbert flinches, then quickly turns a page to disguise the reaction.

Today is mostly a day off, to become familiar, aha, with the summoned creature. So while there are some people about, none really interfere when you draw wand and blast a large rock in a relaxation courtyard.

As expected, explosion.

Not as expected, you can feel how your magic is working, with your attention drawn to the.... parasite settled upon it. You'd never realized it before. But you aren't just drawing your willpower through yourself and casting. There is an additional stage.

This... extra thing. Your willpower is drawn, filtered, through that. Twisted beyond recognition, turned from what-is-yours to something... other.

And it draws just a little bit of you back inside of it, feeling heavier.

No. No good. You mustn't let it...!

You grit your teeth and sink claws into your own willpower, drawing not as you are accustomed to, but away from the parasite, dragging a bit free just as it tries to pull back. A screaming and horrible emptiness, taking your willpower and giving back useless trash that you can't use....

The edges of the world go a little grey as you raise your wand again.

The simple gout of flame very nearly drives you to your knees. It does leave you gasping for breath in the face of the sheer bloody-minded effort that has to go into keeping that thing away from your magic.

You've never even heard of something like this sort of a parasite, before. Can't even begin to imagine how it went un-noticed.

.... Except that you can. Mother is harsh, and demanding, but also kind in her own way. Many other nobles, when faced with a defective child, particularly in the wake of two children which were successful in learning magic would have simply.... one way, or another, arranged for the problem to go away.

A defective mage is such a disappointment, after all.

.... you won't disappoint-!

You gather yourself and try again.

The second spell is honestly painful to cast, willpower already significantly drained from forcing a successful casting. But the gout of water is a merciful relief.

The third, just twisting a bit of dirt into a crude shape, you were never much of a sculptor, drains you to levels that would certainly have an experienced combat mage turning into full retreat, just enough to keep themself alive until out of the battle, a nurse would advise resting to recover....

And the fourth. A gust of wind, blowing the dirt apart. You do slump to your knees, gasping for breath, in the face of the fourth spell, a combination of exhaustion and awed disbelief.

It was wonderful, feeling the movement of air answering your call. It came easier than any other, a refreshing breeze...

Air. You're... You're an air mage. Somehow, you had always imagined fire to be where you would one day find success, with repeated, stubborn fireballs.

But you are not arguing with having finally made headway, and discovered proof, even if nobody would ever believe you, who had ever heard of an invisible parasite feeding on magic, that the failure was not your fault, was never your fault. There really was, from the very beginning, an outside influence preventing your success-!

Your good mood almost cannot be put off by the sight of that Germanian sauntering towards you, spring in her step.

"I heard an explosion~" She says. "So of course, I knew it was you~<3"

---

[ ] ??

[X] Smile at her. You're tired now, but you know. You know. That you are not a Zero. You'll show her.
-[X] Later though. You need to report this to Professor Colbert first. Perhaps he has discovered something. Or maybe the discovery of the... parasite will aid his research. Either way, he should know.

Ah Louise, derail canon. Derail it hard!

With her pure stubbornness and through sheer willpower, I fully expect her to become a full-blown mage despite the agony of spellcasting. Go shounen hero Louise!

Chibi-Reaper said:
"So of course, I knew it was you~<3"
'♡'?
I don't think I have ever seen that in a Chibi-quest, before.

[x] Give her a genuine, content, angelic smile.
-[x] Back to research with Colbert.

[X] "I know something you don't~"
-[X] Leave quickly and give her no time to respond

minuseven said:
[X
With her pure stubbornness and through sheer willpower, I fully expect her to become a full-blown mage despite the agony of spellcasting. Go shounen hero Louise!

With Gandalfr this is totally possible. :D
though if she does then her pain threshold will be off the charts! screw rule of steel, it isn't strong enough, Rule of Gravity.

also

[X] Smile at her. You're tired now, but you know. You know. That you are not a Zero. You'll show her.
-[X] Later though. You need to report this to Professor Colbert first. Perhaps he has discovered something. Or maybe the discovery of the... parasite will aid his research. Either way, he should know.

We will be the Avatar of FoZ-verse!

Jiven said:
We will be the Avatar of FoZ-verse!

That...
Chibi-Reaper said:
Willpower: Massive
Effective Willpower: Miniscule

Pentacle Elemental Magic: Minor, Dot Air.
Fire: Weak.
Earth: Pathetic.
Water: Weak.
Air: Well Below Average.
Pentacle Non-Elemental Magic: Weak.
...might take a while.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back