• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

Naruto Est Imperare Orbi Universo (Dio Quest)

Seriously torn about the fox and Academy. Yoshino has a much less effective poker face than ANBU, and it gets Shikamaru informed. Sorta. On the other hand, they may keep us from answering Shikamaru's question and Utako is probably gonna be dead before we can goad her into trying to kill us first.

And letting Sarutobi know about the fox after the murder attempt is also a pretty brutal time to drop a bombshell and make Sarutobi think, "I am an utter failure to let this happen."

Rargh. Oh well. Let the chips fall where they may.

Last edited by a moderator:
[X] "I don't think they'll let me into the Academy. People in the village already don't like me, I don't think they'd trust me to be a good shinobi."

Yoshino grimaces imperceptibly.

"Trust is important," Shikamaru says seriously. He lowers his chopsticks and ponders for a moment, a comically solemn look on his face.

"Shika, eat your lunch before it gets cold."

The boy shrugs, and returns to his noodles. "I think you'd be good at it, anyway."

You smile. "Thank you, Shikamaru."

Owl's knock on the door is perfectly timed with the conclusion of your meal.

=

The old man visits you three days later.

You greet him in your usual manner:

[X] With cheerful intimacy. "Ah, grandfather! Good evening."

[X] Formally. "Good evening, Hokage-sama."

-->[X] As you do so, reflect on how much cooler this old man was than, well, your old man. Aside from isolating you and secrecy, the Hokage is a pretty decent guy. You think you may even feel a little bad if you poison him for the hat- No, wait, that's just gas.

-->[X] As you do so, reflect on how much cooler this old man was than, well, your old man. Aside from isolating you and secrecy, the Hokage is a pretty decent guy. You think you may even feel a little bad if you poison him for the hat- No, wait, that's just gas.

-->[X] Suspect the reason for his visit is your recent adventure.

Hymn of Ragnarok said:

The hat is overrated anyway.

Why should we reply formally? I would have thought that we were on good terms with the Hokage

overmind said:
Why should we reply formally? I would have thought that we were on good terms with the Hokage
o_O You think formality is reserved for people you're on neutral or bad terms with? It's a story set in not-Japan.

Isn't calling him 'Grandfather' rather formal?
Better than the moniker 'Old Man' he was called canonically.

TheOtherSandman said:
Old Man is a looser translation of an informal Gramps/Grandpa word. Grandfather is the more formal, more in-character for Dio, but still warm 'ojii-sama'.

It's the distinction between the typical American daddy's girl who actually calls her dad 'daddy', and the young lady in a Victorian melodrama who cries 'Father!' when the old fella has a fit of epilepsy.

TheOtherSandman said:

... You realize that 'Old Man' and 'Grandfather' are pretty much the exact same thing?

'Ojiji' 'Jii-san' 'Ojii-san' etc.

Ehhhh. Considering we were building up a sense of isolation about us and loneliness, formal just seems a lot better at driving it home.

I mean we were not striking me as a cheery person. We seemed fairly withdrawn. Sullen....honestly doesn't seem the wrong way to describe us, at least from a distance. Even if Shikamaru we were more solemn. Guess I just don't really like the tone, seeing as at this point we're Naruto In Name Only. Doesn't really resonate with me.

That, or I just feel like being contrary.

Alternatively we are grasping at every bit of socialization we can get. *shrugs* That is what my limited child psycology schooling tells me at least.

Actually, a good question to ask Furiko is this: are we on good terms with the Hokage no matter what? Like in a, "Oh you scamp why do you always insist on calling me Hokage-sama kind of way?" So in the sense of he likes us, we just aren't that kind of expressive child.

Hymn of Ragnarok said:
Actually, a good question to ask Furiko is this: are we on good terms with the Hokage no matter what? Like in a, "Oh you scamp why do you always insist on calling me Hokage-sama kind of way?" So in the sense of he likes us, we just aren't that kind of expressive child.
Yep, guilt, a fondness for children, the fact that you're a pretty well-behaved kid and your natural charisma mean he's gonna like ya regardless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back