• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

Naruto Est Imperare Orbi Universo (Dio Quest)

FurikoMaru said:
Clarify, please. Precision: B is nothing to sneeze at; the stat covers both one's movements and perception, and the Stand and the user are one.
Even on an ideally completely spherical Earth, doing it on that scale means reliably measuring angular differences less than a millionth of degree. Assuming your sticks have heights either known or match each other also to ridiculous precision. Assuming they are balanced with verticality perfect to similar level of precision. I don't see Dio doing all that, but even he's that super-sensitive, it's still worthless because at that level he can't eliminate the noise, such as vibration or atmospheric distortion of the light rays (if you've ever seen air above a hot road, you know what's going on). Not to mention this exercise still assumes perfect sphericity of the Earth, while in practice variation of topography are going to mess you up even if hypothetically you could deal with all of that.

FurikoMaru said:
What would be within his means? Because there's no way he wouldn't try something to figure out whether the library is completely full of shit. I just went for the simplest thing I could think of.
The difference in sunset times across a known height is one method I've mention above. He's going to need to do some further optics to compensate for horizontal refraction and know his latitude; otherwise, the method is rather unreliable and so would not be very conclusive (unless this planet's size is very off from Earth's). The latitude he can find through some methods, e.g., fairly simply through a Foucault pendulum, although he'll probably not be able to hide one big enough to be reliable (meh, it's not ruinous to his reputation anyway). The former he's just going to have to do some optics for, and you can assume he's smart enough to do it.

Except of course, if he simply performs this method without such compensation anyway, through simply being unaware of confounding factors that he should be compensating for. That's both simple and IC. He doesn't have to be logically perfect here, after all. Edit: erratum: he'd still have to figure out the latitude somehow, actually. It's the further optics that he could ignore.

[X] Cripple the man for capture and questioning and wait for his screams to bring Owl and Bat running.

Vorpal said:
Even on an ideally completely spherical Earth, doing it on that scale means reliably measuring angular differences less than a millionth of degree. Assuming your sticks have heights either known or match each other also to ridiculous precision. Assuming they are balanced with verticality perfect to similar level of precision. I don't see Dio doing all that, but even he's that super-sensitive, it's still worthless because at that level he can't eliminate the noise, such as vibration or atmospheric distortion of the light rays (if you've ever seen air above a hot road, you know what's going on). Not to mention this exercise still assumes perfect sphericity of the Earth, while in practice variation of topography are going to mess you up even if hypothetically you could deal with all of that.
Okay. Neat. That does sound outside the parameters of B-rank Precision. I won't make that mistake again.

Vorpal said:
The difference in sunset times across a known height is one method I've mention above. He's going to need to do some further optics to compensate for horizontal refraction and know his latitude; otherwise, the method is rather unreliable and so would not be very conclusive (unless this planet's size is very off from Earth's).
How off can it get before that starts to be a problem? Disregarding the inherent bullshit nature of the Naruto setting and all sorts of handwaves you can throw at such problems, I mean.

Vorpal said:
The latter he can find through some methods, e.g., fairly simply through a Foucault pendulum, although he'll probably not be able to hide one big enough to be reliable (meh, it's not ruinous to his reputation anyway).
How big are we talking? Can he make one?

Vorpal said:
Except of course, if he simply performs this method without such compensation anyway, through simply being unaware of confounding factors that he should be compensating for. That's both simple and IC. He doesn't have to be logically perfect here, after all.
Yes he does. It's Jojo's Bizarre Adventure; random science shit that characters employ is always accurate to the internal nature of the universe. And Dio is an autodidact - granted, he's more of a humanities guy, but he's ludicrously well-read and a perfectionist. I can see him realizing halfway through employing a specific method that he should probably compensate for the fluff that he hadn't considered before, but I didn't give him 5/5 Intelligence for the good of my health. He's not just going to be unaware that those confounding factors exist.

FurikoMaru said:
How big are we talking? Can he make one?
Yeah, he can make one. The trouble with pendulums is imprecision in setting them makes them precess, completely overwhelming the effects of the precession due to Earth's rotation that you want to measure. So in practice Foucault pendulums are "fuckhuge", basically at least a large room (most more like a several-story building tall).

Now, here Dio's score can come to the rescue and one can assume that he's precise enough that to set a small pendulum swinging without any appreciable elliptical motion. In which case the project may be quite small, maybe small enough to fit under a table if he also takes step to insure that it's not disturbed and not affected by large vibrations.

I don't think it's reasonable for his to hide it from his minders, considering he's going to have to have it swinging for a day (longer if he wants more data), but a few bits and bops around and it'll look like a kid playing with mechanics rather than any specific purpose (to that end Newton's cradles are neat though useless, btw).

FurikoMaru said:
Yes he does. It's Jojo's Bizarre Adventure; random science shit that characters employ is always accurate to the internal nature of the universe. And Dio is an autodidact - granted, he's more of a humanities guy, but he's ludicrously well-read and a perfectionist.
Yeah, ok. To get started, he's going to need to know latitude, which he can get from the amount a Foucault pendulum precesses, and the Sun's declination, which he can measure whenever it's at its highest point of the day. Then he can time the difference in sunset times across some height (in principle sitting down vs standing up eye level would do, though higher is better, but he's going to want to go somewhere where the horizon looks the most level, which is probably up on the that mountain around Konoha). Then with all that and some geometry, he can figure out the planet's radius probably to within ~15% or so.

If he figures out that he needs to account for horizontal refraction of the Sun's light, he can do a lot better. That's more complicated; I suppose the simplest way to deal with it to have just him remember the relevant figure for Earth. Using that could at least provide strong evidence that he's not on Earth, which is what he's interested in anyway, although with more uncertainty in this planet's actual radius.

[X] Cripple both of them for capture and questioning.

If we do capture them, we have to either kill them when we're finished, or risk the authorities find out about The World. Afterwards, we should use The World to make it look like they each killed eachother, or something.

If anyone asks how we were able to survive, well we have been training with our bodyguard for awhile.

[X] Kill the man and go back to bed like nothing happened. Let Raccoon reassess her loyalties in peace.

This sounds kind of hilarious.

Possible idea...

[X] Go back to where you 'where', before asking them...
-[X] "May I inquire as to the nature of this visit?", while being on guard on their reactions
--[X] If they strike back, consider via ZA WARUDO crippling them, or outright killing if need be.

Possible Assassin attempt aside; it's best to be weary. The Old Man with the Sword might be Danzo. But if we play our cards right...

We can either develop a 'bond' with gaining more power/tools in future, or we have to 'clean up.' The important thing though, is to try and keep the 'innocent angel' appearance, while being sharp on what offers we can get.

[X] Cripple the man for capture and questioning and wait for his screams to bring Owl and Bat running.

Master Basher said:
Possible idea...

[X] Go back to where you 'where', before asking them...
-[X] "May I inquire as to the nature of this visit?", while being on guard on their reactions
--[X] If they strike back, consider via ZA WARUDO crippling them, or outright killing if need be.

Possible Assassin attempt aside; it's best to be weary. The Old Man with the Sword might be Danzo. But if we play our cards right...

We can either develop a 'bond' with gaining more power/tools in future, or we have to 'clean up.' The important thing though, is to try and keep the 'innocent angel' appearance, while being sharp on what offers we can get.
Uhh where does it say that the man was old? When I read it I seems like he was just a man we didn't know, I don't think it specified the age.

Wouldn't crippling them break cover? Also do we know for a fact that Raccoon is betraying us?

[X] Let this play out. Only resort to using The World to fight if our life is in immediate peril.

The situation is a little unclear. Or possibly very clear.

We're in a room with one of our assigned bodyguards and a man we don't know.

It is a bad sign that Raccoon hasn't alerted the household, but as long as she isn't actively ignoring the intruder to focus on us I really can't see the situation as definitely being 'both of them are here to kill us' just yet.

If Raccoon's job was to kill or capture a talented four-year-old who hasn't shown any sign of time stop powers, then she's already overkill for the task. Bringing in another person isn't needed.

Is Raccoon positioned to fight the unknown? Or assist him?

Either way, as long as we aren't killed here we're fine. Being kidnapped could be an amusing diversion. It's not like they can hold us if we set our mind to escape, even at this age.

If Raccoon is killed defending us, well, having a mother figure die in front of us is a good background to gain sympathy from isn't it?

[X] Kill the man and go back to bed like nothing happened. Let Raccoon reassess her loyalties in peace.

[X] Let this play out. Only resort to using The World to fight if our life is in immediate peril.

[2] Kill the man and leave Raccoon unharmed. The two of you are going to be even better friends, now...

[3] Kill the man and go back to bed like nothing happened. Let Raccoon reassess her loyalties in peace.

[3] Cripple the man for capture and questioning and wait for his screams to bring Owl and Bat running.

[2] Cripple both of them for capture and questioning.

[2] Let this play out. Only use The World to fight if our life is in immediate peril.

[1] Plan MasterBasher

Tie breaker?

[X] Let this play out. Only use The World to fight if our life is in immediate peril.
Why bother to fight ourselves if we can get them to kill eachother.
Besides we could do with a little light entertainment.

[X] Let this play out. Only use The World to fight if our life is in immediate peril.

FurikoMaru said:
[3] Kill the man and go back to bed like nothing happened. Let Raccoon reassess her loyalties in peace.

[3] Cripple the man for capture and questioning and wait for his screams to bring Owl and Bat running.

[2] Cripple both of them for capture and questioning.

[2] Let this play out. Only use The World to fight if our life is in immediate peril.

[1] Plan MasterBasher

Tie breaker?
Doesn't really matter with the way the vote stands, but I voted to kill the man and interrogate Raccoon.

Guile said:
Doesn't really matter with the way the vote stands, but I voted to kill the man and interrogate Raccoon.
Oh, crap, I was gonna count that as a vote to kill him and then have a nice talk about friendship with Raccoon. Hold on.

There.

Lemme just say, from the body language they're pretty obviously here together to accomplish something.

[X] Kill the man. Interrogate Raccoon.

Ah, well in that case, I'm with Guile then.

This is a vote change from 'Let this play out' by the way.

Err, no, you were after a tie breaker weren't you?

useless101 said:
[X] Kill the man. Interrogate Raccoon.

Ah, well in that case, I'm with Guile then.

This is a vote change from 'Let this play out' by the way.

Err, no, you were after a tie breaker weren't you?
See, the only problem is that if we do that, she's going to go running to her boss, and tell them how a little kid managed to kill a fully trained assassin, and then the akward questions begin.

[X] Kill the man and leave Raccoon unharmed. The two of you are going to be even better friends, now...

[X] Kill the man and leave Raccoon unharmed. The two of you are going to be even better friends, now...

[X] let this play out for a bit.

if swords are actually Drawn, then everything changes, but this...

for all we know they are here to protect us from something, not hostile.

also, which one is Raccoon again, (bat is the trainer, is Raccon the motherly one, or...)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back