• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

Of Ice and Men (Young Justice. Icicle Junior SI.)

Location of Team's base.

• Missile Silo in Nebraska

Votes: 46 42.2%
  • Ski Lodge in Colarado

Votes: 23 21.1%
  • Lighthouse in Hawaii

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • Ranch in Texas

Votes: 19 17.4%
  • Summer Camp in Michigin

Votes: 12 11.0%
  • Junkyard in Washington

Votes: 17 15.6%
  • Rundown Hotel in North Carolina

Votes: 17 15.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Put Joker in a block of ice and have a chat with Ivy, if Glenn can convince her to go legit with a proper sponsor, say Bruce Wayne and actually rebuild the old growth forests of the world or even develop a formula to regrow trees from their stumps.
Can't reason with her until you can cure/complete her transformation.

Interlude 21: Step Right Up
Interlude 21: Step Right Up
Omaha, Nebraska
October 10, 7:48 PM MDT

Roy sees Zatanna and Megan out of the corner of his eye, as he strolls with Danette through the fair grounds. The two younger girls succeeding at their attempt to get Dick and Wally to compete at the games.

The frustration he started the day with is still brewing just under the surface. Why didn't she put the tracker in Glenn's bag?

The reports of this place having Intergang activity was more than enough for an observation mission to be called. But Roy's annoyance with his team continues to grow.

"You're still upset." Danette stops in the middle of the dirt road and tilts her head to one side.

"Of course I am!" His nostrils flare with each word. "We have no idea what the Shadows are sending Glenn after and Artemis refuses to do her job."

Doesn't help that Dick has given up on fixing the ship. All we got out of it is a bunch of shiny toys that we can't even use.

"She's not the only one uncomfortable with spying on a friend," The gynoid disguised so well she thinks herself a human retorts. Thankfully with no judgment in her voice, just the cold facts.

Nodding at the woman, Roy knows she's right. "Promise not to tell the others?"

"You are team leader. I would not betray your trust like that." Her response is immediate and that just reminds Roy of another one of his frustrations."

His growled response comes almost as fast as her own. "I thought I was finally being taken seriously by the League. But you and Captain Marvel are still babysitting us."

It's not that he blames the woman sixty years out of her own time. It's just hard to overlook who is really in charge.

"You do know why the League raised the minimum age, don't you?" Danette frowns at the only person her own 'age' among Young Justice. "It's so the world governments don't cause trouble for us."

"I know that intellectually..." Sighs the archer as he spots Kaldur keeping watch from a nearby roof.

"But you still feel like your efforts are thought of as lesser?" Understanding fills her face. "That is one thing I am still adjusting to. Not being forced into the role of secretary like I was with the Justice Society and actually being your left hand woman."

Now confused, Roy has no problem letting Danette know that fact. "Don't you mean Captain Marvel?"

"William is only ten. He needs your guidance as much as anyone in Young Justice." Firebrand leads him past a smirking Raquelle and Artemis who refuses to make eye contact. "You are the one we all look to and that is why the League wants you to remain in your role. They think you are doing such an excellent job, it would be nearly impossible to replace you at this time."

"Really?" The anger stops churning for the first time today and he looks at her with hope filled eyes.

She feels a strange sensation in her chest, but none og her system diagnostics come back with anything amiss. "I'm still learning what it means to be a human now that I know the truth. Adapting to the changes that feel so sudden, would not have been so easy without you and Greta living at the Silo."

"Oh..." Trailing off awkwardly, it seems like Roy understands more about the situation.

After telling him that he's supposed to be answering these kinds of questions, Danette feels no shame in asking her first one. "Why does my face get warmer when you smile? And does that have anything to do with my mouth stops producing enough saliva."

Roy is saved from answering, when Kaldur hisses through the mental link. <Plastique is here and heading towards the fun house. She has six friends with her, all armed.>

<Remember this is just observation. We aren't starting a fight with this many civilians around.> After sighing with relief, Roy fills in the his partner. "Kaldur spotted her, let's move."

They get on the ferris wheel and tip the operator enough to leave them at the top longer than normal. Danette spots the second group first and points them out, getting a grateful nod from Roy.

<Looks like the supplier is here. Greta and M'gann, you're up.>

Greta may not be able to 'hear' the psychic link, but she can follow the now camouflaged Martian into the house of mirrors. The mental image M'gann sends through the link, is all Kaldur needs to identify the man.

<That's Black Manta.> The Atlantean teen is just as confused about why he's so far from the sea though. <Why is he meeting with Plastique, here?>

<Something about keeping up the deception and arming the freaks,> Answers M'gann as she floats nearly invisible to the human eye. <Overthrowing a king and getting revenge for his stolen son I think. Or maybe he's the one who was stolen as a child.>

<Have they mentioned any names?> Intent on stopping on of his people's greatest foes, Kaldur'ahm is desperate for more information. <A target of any kind?>

She doesn't answer right away, very careful to only observe the surface thoughts on display. <The sharks are going to do the work for them. I'm not sure what that means though.>

<I do.> Kaldur shares his own memory of one of the shark-men of the Antarctic sea. <Tensions between our territory has been growing more stained as the temperatures of the waters rise. Food shortages are becoming an ever more common grievance with the decline of their krill population.>

<Blow up enough important places and make it look like it was an attack from the capital...> Wally's mind fills in the rest faster than even his mental words could have. The idea of a city seeking revenge and the oceans turning red enters the minds of his teammates.

<I must warn my people!> Kaldur's panic is well earned and no one begrudges him for it.

Deciding it's time to stop being petty, Artemis thinks something that finally settles Roy's nerves. <Just because I wasn't going to tag one of my friends for you, doesn't mean I feel the same way about my sister. I know she needs to be watched.>​

Chapter 36: The Birds And The Freeze
Chapter 36: The Birds And The Freeze
Brest, France
October 13, 11:19 AM CEST

Surprising Jade with the travellers french I know, I take charge as soon as we make it through customs. Tuppence told me where her brother had gotten a job and I'm eager to get him on a plane back to the States.

"Did you see the passenger kites when we landed?" I take just a little bit of pride at my involvement in Kiteman's new life.

"The brochure says he already has a hundred tour guides and is going to be expanding into Spain next year." Jade holds up one such pamphlet from the cab's centre console. "You should give Kiteman a call, would save us a lot of time hiking up the Alps."

The idea nearly makes me gag in fear, something I hope I managed to keep off my face. "... Not really into the whole heights thing."

"Says the guy who jumped off the Grand Canyon." Jade's retort gets a gasp of shock from the driver, who nearly crashes as he peers over his shoulder at me.

"The ice I make is more like really cold clothes or maybe even fingernails." I have a connection to it for quite a while after it's creation and can still shape it with some effort. "It's not really a part of me, I know that. But it's close enough to fool my brain."

"You are one strange man." Shaking her head as we pull to a stop a few blocks from our destination, Jade pays with the wallet taken out of my back pocket.

I had that when we got in the cab.. How did she pull that off when I was sitting on it the whole time?

"I'm a celebrity now. It's kind of expected for me to be eccentric." Exiting onto the packed street is a breath of fresh air after the driver's spicy body spray.

At first nothing seems that unusual about the area. But Jade directs my attention towards a line of rats exiting the sewer.

Each one has a little yellow hard hat on and what looks like rubber gloves on each paw. A thick electrical cable is on their backs and disappears below the road.

"They're everywhere." Her eyes start darting around wildly, with dozens of similar scenes taking place.

Some are picking up the odd bits of trash on the ground, while others are emerging from the sewer with lost trinkets. Both cops that I see have a rodent partner, with one tucked into the sergeants breast pocket very comfortably.

"It is France you know." I cock an eyebrow at the assassin only a couple years my elder and smirk. "French people do live here."

"You know what I mean," Her hiss of frustration just makes my grin grow. "The rats."

How hard is it for my handler to keep track of my very few contacts? "Ratcatcher didn't limit himself to just one of my ideas I guess. Seems like he had more than enough help to try them all at once."

We get to the beach and Jade waits for me to chicken out. "You probably shouldn't go swimming. Someone will call in a dead body as soon as they see that skin."

"You can always leave and meet me back at the hotel tonight." Striding past the nude beach sign, I start to disrobe to Jade's shock. "I worked hard for this body and I'm going to show it off."

She joins me with no hesitation on her part, even more proud of the body she spent years sculpting. I give her one quick look over to remove the temptation and give her a thumbs up.

"The Shadows could start an exercise program if they all have bodies that good." Jade waits for my eyes to dip back down again and she seems impressed when I resist.

"Just don't tell my sister about this." The words make me think about the overreaction and I quickly nod in agreement.

"Or Roy." I don't want him hunting me down again.

Snorting at the archer's name, Jade rolls her eyes with very obvious frustration. "Not sure who he'd be more jealous about."

The sand should be hot against my feet and I know I'll end up with black soles by the end of the day. Just like Jade warned, hundreds of eyes follow me. And I do mean me, Jade's shapely behind doesn't even bat an eyelash out here.

"Told you I was a celebrity now." Ignoring the whispers about a potential skin disease, I strut right towards the lifeguards chair.

"Boss..." The muscular blonde hops down to the sand, his silver whistle the only thing he has on. "Is that really you?"

"Huh. You really want to just go back to being some regular stooge?" Jade elbows me in the ribs/

Before I get out a response, Tommy lifts me in a nearly bone crushing hug. "Saw you on the news in Denver. Was so worried the Justice League was going to leave you to handle it by yourself." Worried about offending me, he holds up both hands to placate me. "Not that I don't think ya couldn't have."

"I was about four seconds from being crushed ice." I'm probably being too generous with how much time I really had. "Troia saved my life."

"Is that you?" Tommy turns to Jade with grateful eyes.

"Jade was following my instructions on the other side of the city." I gave her the choice, not going to let Tommy blame her because I was cocky. "She made sure nothing hurt my baby."

That was the wrong thing to say judging by the shock on Tommy's face. "You're a pa?"

That's thankfully easy to clear up and so is getting Tommy to accept the care aid job. "I promise ya Boss, I ain't gonna let anything mess with yer ma." He beats his chest like Tarzan. "I'd swim all the way back if ya asked me to."

"How the hell did he get you wrapped around his finger?" Jade pokes the taller blonde right in the sternum, forcing him back a half step with each jab.

"Let me keep all the loot." Frowning as if she's the crazy one, Tommy's loyalty warms my heart.​

Chapter 37: Froze Your Eyes
Chapter 37: Froze Your Eyes
Auvergne-Rhone-Alpes, France
October 14, 2:27 PM CEST

A few thousand feet above the ground, I steadfastly refuse to even peak at the French landscape. Nothing Chuck promises will make me believe this is actually safe.

Tommy's excited cheers let me know he's still alive. But Jade is taking great pleasure in taunting me with her silence.

"You know that you can catch yourself even if you did fall, right?" Kiteman's laughter isn't mocking and that's the only reason I keep my snark PG-13.

"If I open my eyes, someone down below is ending up with a free lunch." That remark has his laughter take on a hint of uncertainty.

His advice makes sense and it actually gets me to smile for a half second. "Don't tilt your head. The updraft will cover us in it."

"Common sense or experience?" My curiosity keeps me talking.

"... Experience." The embarrassment in his voice makes me feel a little less like a coward. "And can you maybe not tell the other guys that part?"

"Well if we're trading blackmail materiel, I woke up in a dumpster once. Sometimes I think I can still smell the sweet and sour pork in my hair." But at least that's one bit of revenge I already took care of.

We angle to the right and I snap my jaws shut. "You looking for anything special?" Thankfully Chuck takes over the conversation and lets me breathe.

"After last time, I honestly have no idea what to expect." Jade had mentioned some legends about an escaped demon back in the eighth century and some kind of Bigfoot creature for even longer than that.

"Well I guess you're about to find out," He warns me of our arrival and I finally pry my eyelids open.

My stomach drops instantly and I lock my eyes on the rising summit. "If you don't hear from us in a week..."

"You're all probably dead?" We exchange looks of gratitude and he gives me the signal. "Well good luck!"

He shouts after me as I plummet towards the mountain, a tube of spiralling ice the only reason I don't end up splattered on the rocks. Tommy and Jade are released thirty seconds apart, just like I instructed the guides.

He cackles with glee the whole way down, the echoes only ending when finally reach the ground. The momentum has me roll almost a hundred feet, only stopping when gravity takes back over.

"That was awesome!" Roars Tommy as he tumbles to a stop beside me, Jade the only one of us to emerge gracefully. "When can we do that again?"

"Never." My muttered response isn't heard, the shrieking wind covering anything but full on shouting.

"The last hiker to report the mountain man was on that peak." Jade points up the slope and to the jagged summit that makes our own look like a mere foothill. "So stay alert and keep up." The last part is meant for Tommy and I roll my eyes at Jade's need to establish a pecking order.

"Should we really be looking for a demon?" The knighted blonde grumbles back. "That don't really sound very safe."

Growling at Tommy, the raven haired assassin reminds him that he chose to come. "You could have been flying back to the States right now. So stop whining and get climbing."

"It's probably just some alien tech that the Shadows want," I reassure him with calm words. "But even if it is something magical, Jade can keep us safe with her new 'claws'."

The snow gets deeper as we climb and before long it's falling from the sky in droves. By the time the sun starts to drop, we can barely see ten feet in front of us.

Bellows and roaring can be made out as we push on, confirming that something is in the blizzard with us. Knowing that we're sitting ducks in the storm, I take charge with a hopefully understood shout.

"Head towards the caves!" We need to see if that thing's going to attack and I start creating walls behind us. "It's getting closer!"

Tommy starts hurling anything in our path back down the mountain, giving Jade a chance to reach the mouth of the cave. Only seconds after her, Tommy and I slide into the strangely warm tunnel. A beam of blue sealing us inside for now.

"Stay and fight or see if we can find another way out?" The voice outside sounded human enough that even I'm starting to get worried about possession.

"I'd prefer a more defensible position before we set up an ambush." Jade sneers at the narrow tunnel that bores deeper into the mountain.

"And I'd prefer we forget this whole thing. I've seen enough horror movies to know this is a terrible idea." Resolute in his warning, Tommy peers into the darkness with wary eyes.

"So that's two votes for going deeper." I give Tommy one final chance to escape down the mountain.

Instead of taking the opportunity he so clearly wants to, Tommy squares his shoulders. "Alright Boss. I trust you to get us out of here, haven't let me down yet." And I really hope that's not about to change today.

Jade's eyes narrow at the interaction and I can't quite decipher the emotion behind them. One by one we twist on our head lamps and start the deceptively long hike.

The tunnel twists and turns so many times that I'm only mostly sure we're still going down. As we descend, the temperature rises every few hundred feet.

"This mountain isn't supposed to have any geothermal activity," Jade mutters under her breath, the smooth granite walls bouncing the sound back to me. "The Great One had the whole area surveyed, so why is it warm?"

"Hell is hot," Retorts a nervous Tommy, as he pulls off his winter jacket. "Sure this isn't an entrance?"

Well if it is, get ready for a shit ton of miracles." Because I'll make it the coldest day on record and freeze the whole place over.

Jade doesn't respond, though she does allow me to take the lead. She glares at my knowing smirk and I press on despite my own terror.

Moss and lichen start covering the rocks, only not any kind I've seen before. The lichen glows a sickly green, almost like a glowstick was spilled over it. That seems to be enough for the moss to thrive.

Any bare patch of rock is covered in glowing cave paintings that grow more primitive as we descend. The images are made with more than one bio luminescent shade and soon we get an explanation.

The tunnel emerges into a cavern more than a few football fields across, with several varieties of glowing mushrooms towering as tall as trees. Bats dive after bugs that are approaching prehistoric size and our eyes have a hard time focusing through the glare.

The bubbling of a small waterfall somewhere in this strange place isn't the only noise. A constant hum fills our ears, that makes me let out one of the largest yawns in my life.​

Chapter 38: Completely Piste Off
Chapter 38: Completely Piste Off
Womb of the Earth, France
October 15, 1:34 AM CEST

As soon as I feel a powerful presence trying to exhaust me, I hastily reach into my pack. By the time I get my helmet on, my limbs are moving like slugs.

It takes a few moments for the pressure on my skull to abate enough to stand and I frown at my snoring companions. Bones of past hikers litter the undergrowth and I realize how lucky I was for Ted to drop drop by before my flight.

The humming has gotten louder and now comes with a pulsing silver light on the far side of the cavern. Hot and humid air makes me sticky, causing swarms of fireflies to land on me.

Hopping across the stream, I find a rather large footprint in the mud. When I compare my own against it, it ends up being almost double the size. At least I know it's a who and not a what that's hunting us down.

The glow leads me to the largest diamond I have ever seen. Nearby is a nest of moss and an overturned mushroom cap, the indent big enough to be from whoever left the tracks.

Broken bits of crystal blanket the area and oddly I notice none are diamond. Some ruby pieces and chipped topaz, that might even be sapphire if I know my rocks.

A large and unnaturally smooth sphere of multi coloured obsidian lays cracked in half. When I step closer and find it hollow inside, I realize it could have very easily contained someone.

A guttural snarl from behind me is my only warning, with me ducking under a mass of savage muscle and hair. The man ho lands in the knee deep stream with a mighty splash, is at least eight feet tall. And looks like even Tommy would have a challenge wrestling him.

The rock under him cracked right down the middle and I'm very glad it wasn't my spine. He waits long another for the humming to intensify before grunting a response.

"This is your home? Sorry for breaking in here Dude." I hold my hands up in an attempt to appear non threatening, though the cave man doesn't seem to care in the slightest. "Let me grab my friends and I'll leave. I promise to never tell anyone what I found here."

"Gnaark!" He doesn't understand or believe me and grabs a rock big enough to crush every single one of my bones.

"Sorry about this!" I blast the guy with a full power beam of blue energy, encasing the primitive man in just as the boulder leaves his fingers.

With him immobile, I'm finally able to get a good look at the caveman. Right above his heart, a shard of crystal is embedded between two ribs.

It pulses with white light each time the massive diamond does. "What would Ra's do with you?" I can't think of anything humane and my frown intensifies.

Stepping closer to the cracked stone shell, I find a desiccated woman muttering in her sleep. Pale blue skin and long wispy white hair are on a head larger than the rest of the body.

Amazed at life still being in the being's body, I try to place the red and white robes. I know the species from somewhere and know it would really help explain things. But I can't quite put my finger on it.

The humming turns into an anguished ringing when I reach out a hand and I don't feel the sensation of peaceful sleep anymore. Now I can only sense rage being directed at me and the promise of pain.

The diamond shifts and reforms itself into the shape of a young human girl. It's hard to make out any specific features with her body being made of diamond. But I can tell when she decides to attack.

Her face shifts to an expression of sorrow and I feel the entire cavern rumble. Time to get the hell out of here!

Unleashing another blast of freezing blue, I pant in relief when the crystal inside finally stops moving. The relief is rather short lived though, when the massive block of ice starts to crack.

"Stay put!" Roaring with just a hint of fear creeping into my voice, I bury the area in ice and snow.

"And now it's time for some damn answers." Snarling to no one, I turn back to the blue senior the size of a child.

I realize awkwardly I still don't have any idea on how to wake to woman up. With the humming gone, it seems to have solved the problem for me.

Her eyes flicker open slowly and I crouch beside her. "... Don't let him wake."

"Who?" The voice is weak and I strain to hear her words that definitely aren't English. But somehow I understand exactly what she means.

"Or your world will burn too..." The words crumble away like dust in the wind and I realize the woman isn't breathing anymore. The once emerald eyes, now dimming to a dull green as her essence passes on.

Her words ring in my ears and it's hard to comprehend such a warning. "That's both ominous and incredibly vague."

One the eyes stop glowing, I can finally notice the very faint shimmer of green in the dirt. Brushing away the centuries old dirt, I'm amazed at finding something I actually recognize.

The Green Lantern ring doesn't react at all when I pick it up, not even when I send every single one of my stubborn thoughts toward it. Sliding it on my finger does nothing and I figure out it must have been drained completely after so long here. Otherwise it would have flown off and chosen someone by now.

"Well I'm not letting Ra's have you." I said I was keeping ten percent as my cut. "Not letting him find any of this."

Mind made up, I march with purpose back towards Tommy and Jade. Bring down a few tunnels and I can tell Jade whatever I want.

This is bigger than a bit of shiny loot and I'm not giving the Shadows this kind of weapon. Ra's might not be happy when Jade tells him. But I'm only doing this shit to get him off my back so I can live my own life.

If he wants to make an issue out of this. I have think I finally have enough friends that I could ask for help.

Grabbing an ankle in each hand, I start dragging the two sleepers back through the tunnel. They start waking up a little faster than I would like and I'm forced to bring down a section of the ceiling to conceal the cavern.

I remember only after the tunnel is blocked by a dozen feet of rubble, that I left Jade's bag and the map it contained behind. "At least going down the mountain is a pretty easy direction to follow."​

Okay. Weird. So we have:

1. A guardian of the universe from Oa,
  2. A diamond-girl who was previously a transportation vessel or cage,
  3. A multicolored obsidian transportation vessel or cage,
  4. Gemstones,
  5. A "man ho" with some crystal in his chest,
  6. A drowsiness aura of psychic or magic origin (not biological or chemical)

France, France, France… Yeah I have no idea why this is here.

Ah, Gnarrk (according to his guttural vocalization) and Kole, with some influence from the teen Titan cartoon, the comics, and some original stuff (namely the guardian, but also Gnarrk's hairy form). I guess Gnarrk is an alien instead of a cro-magnon here? And Kole seems to be sapient, but she might not have been intended as a "person" if the guardians made her to be a jailer for Gnarrk. A mystery is at hand. What has happened with all of those disappearances?

Okay. Weird. So we have:

1. A guardian of the universe from Oa,
  2. A diamond-girl who was previously a transportation vessel or cage,
  3. A multicolored obsidian transportation vessel or cage,
  4. Gemstones,
  5. A "man ho" with some crystal in his chest,
  6. A drowsiness aura of psychic or magic origin (not biological or chemical)

France, France, France… Yeah I have no idea why this is here.

Ah, Gnarrk (according to his guttural vocalization) and Kole, with some influence from the teen Titan cartoon, the comics, and some original stuff (namely the guardian, but also Gnarrk's hairy form). I guess Gnarrk is an alien instead of a cro-magnon here? And Kole seems to be sapient, but she might not have been intended as a "person" if the guardians made her to be a jailer for Gnarrk. A mystery is at hand. What has happened with all of those disappearances?
I'm combining 3 different things for my own unique spin on putting them in Young Justice.

We'll find out more when Young Justice investigates. But what I can clarify out of the 6 points:
2/3/4: Part of, there was debris from other coloured crystals but only the Diamond remained.
5: The first traveller to find the place.
6: Willpower origin.

France was close enough to all 3 things I wanted to use(none had explicit canon locations), that I was able nudge them all into a single spot. It also let me bring Tommy back into the story a little earlier.
Gnarrk and Kole yes. Very heavily inspired by Teen Titans cartoon for 1/3rd of what is going on. The Guardian and Him are tied to another 1/3rd. The last 1/3rd is why I specifically chose France and is tied into Gnarrk's aggresive reaction. Gnarrk is a cro magnon and one of the few "humans" older than Vandal Savage. Kole is sentient but that is indeed a by product of the original purpose.

"Or your world will burn too..." The words crumble away like dust in the wind and I realize the woman isn't breathing anymore. The once emerald eyes, now dimming to a dull green as her essence passes on.

Her words ring in my ears and it's hard to comprehend such a warning. "That's both ominous and incredibly vague."
So... Burning Martian then...

Interlude 22: Alpine Spelunking
Interlude 22: Alpine Spelunking
Auvergne-Rhone-Alpes, France
October 17, 5:51 AM CEST

As soon as Glenn called the Crock residence to let them know he was staying in Paris a few more days, Artemis let the rest of her team know. Only a few hours later, the cloaked bioship was waiting above her house.

The glacier they find, buries the surrounding mountains beneath nearly a mile of ice. With his eyebrows rising into his hairline, Superboy confirms the depth for everyone.

"It's almost twice as thick as the other ones we passed on the way here." His eyes strain as he focuses on the core of the mountain. "But this mountain is warm on the inside and I don't mean hot like lava."

Red Arrow drops his hand as the Kryptonian clone answers the question on the tip of his tongue. "The last active tracker is inside. So we need to find the tunnel they buried."

"I'm on it!" Excited at taking part in another secret mission, the aptly named Secret dives through the floor of the ship.

She phases right through the ice and starts her search. Floating down until she finds an opening in the rock, the rest of Young Justice prepares for the weather.

Stark white versions of each costume to help hide them in the storm, only make the teens stand out all the more in such cramped quarters. As the ship lands on the fresh powder, the heroes disembark with all senses strained.

"Think Sub-Zero was trying to warn us?" Rocket points at one of many towering sculptures.

Each one of the icy creations is a uniquely crafted demonic horror. At least eight are within visual range and none make the teens feel invited to the summit.

"He has no idea we're here," Reminds a shivering Red Arrow. "Otherwise he would have left something to screw with us."

"If Jade knew, we'd be finding traps meant to maim." Artemis scans the horizon, her high tech goggles let her see a couple hundred feet through the storm.

Greta's blonde head pokes through the snow with a wide grin. "This way Danette. Follow me."

A flash of flame pushes away the cold, Firebrand diving into the ice like a comet. A spiral tunnel gets melted downwards, with Superboy's thermal vision the only eyes able to follow the entire way.

"Sure we don't need someone to stay with the ship?" Hex Girl mutters under her breath, as they all warily descend into the darkness.

"Glenn and Jade made it back down," With a charming grin hidden by the shadows, Robin tries to ease the magician's nerves. "We can handle this. We already saved the world, didn't we?"

"Thanks. And I guess we're going to find out if Wally's right..." She glares back at the cocky speedster who claims she just doesn't understand her own powers.

Sighing at the comment, Wally actually apologizes to Zatanna. "The Flash talked to me about that and I was wrong to talk to my friends like that. I'm sorry for not respecting your beliefs."

"But you still don't believe yourself." Robin points out the specific phrasing.

"Doesn't matter if I do or not, how I talked to Zatanna and Kaldur was completely out of line." Hanging his head at the recent memory of his uncle's disappointment, Sonic admits his failure with a red face. "If God is all powerful, no one can ever prove or disprove they exist. Unless I can prove the science, I should respect peoples' beliefs."

"How long did it take him to hammer that lesson home?" Snorts Red Arrow in relief, glad the team has one less bit of friction to worry about.

The speedster doesn't answer immediately, growling back at his fellow redhead when he finally does. "Five hours..." He sighs when M'gann sends him a mental nudge. "Over three patrols."

"You aren't going to be a jerk about it anymore?" Zatanna waits for his answer before making up her mind on whether or not to forgive him.

"Nowhere but in my own head and Ameganzing is the only one ho has to put up with that." The Sega brand hero shoots his girlfriend a look of adoration.

Huntress however shoots the Martian girl a look of amazement. "How have you not got lost in all that insanity?"

The ice tunnel is replaced by stone, Secret and Firebrand waiting at the mouth of a cave. The warmth of the rock is apparent immediately and most of the teens start sweating.

"We only needed you to melt the ice, we didn't need a recreation of Red Volcano." Complains Sonic, which has the gynoid's eyes widen in alarm.

Huntress catches the expression and snarls at the speedster's careless words. "What did we say about bringing up the criminal family members of the team?"

"... Stop doing it unless I want to find out what the bottom of my feet taste like." Wally's eyes glance to Firebrand and he's forced to utter another 'sorry'.

"It's all pretty much the exact same temperature. I can't make anything specific out." Reverting to his normal vision, Kirk sighs in annoyance.

He ends up working through his frustration when they find part of the tunnel collapsed. The water pooled around everyone's feet, is more than enough evidence for who was the cause.

"I don't think my cousin wanted anyone coming back down here." Even Danette starts to feel something powerful is waiting for them. "Are you positive we should enter?" She gives Red Arrow the final say, her eyes only narrowed in concern.

Captain Marvel can also feel a presence beyond the rubble. But he really wants to find out what it is and says nothing.

"If it's actually that dangerous, we need to find out exactly what's in here." Scowling at the idea of something horrible being inside, Roy tries not to think about Balrogs.

"Alright." Superboy lifts the last boulder blocking the way and crushes it to rubble against his knee. "Who wants to go in first?"

"Does anyone mind if I go first?" Captain Marvel is too excited to notice the others are more nervous than eager.

Roy waves him on with a grateful smile. "Knock yourself out Captain. Just shout if something kills you."

The mystical champion ducks through the opening and is first to emerge inside the lush cavern. "Whoa... It's like a jungle in here."

The rest file in behind him, eyes widening at the surreal sight. Robin is first to tear his eyes away from the fauna and see the fluorescent cave paintings.

"It looks like a meteor fell from the sky and a tribe searched for it." The acrobatic boy points to a series of images. "They found it..." He traces the glowing paint and frowns at the nest design. "But a single man killed all but one of them."

"So do you think he's the lone survivor?" Raquelle Irving jerks her chin towards a melting block of ice and the hairy behemoth inside. "Or the savage slayer?"​

Local Children Superhero Team ruins everything for everyone, especially for World Renown Millionaire Superhero Philanthropist Glenn "Sub-zero" Fries.
When approached for comment, young Fries stated "I'd assume they knew better. DAMN YOU HINDSIGHT!!"

More news, at eleven.

Last edited:
Local Children Superhero Team ruins everything for everyone, especially World Renown Millionaire Superhero Philanthropist Glenn "Sub-zero" Fries.
When approached for comment, young Fries stated "I'd assume they knew better. DAMN YOU HINDSIGHT!!"

More news, at eleven.
Glenn's only correction would be that he's not a superhero. He's a concerned citizen who volunteers his time in a crisis.

A Vandal Savage perhaps?
I thought it would be interesting to see a survivor of the Cro-magnon's that Vandal killed when he got got his immortality. Pretty much the only way I could get a human older than Vandal into the story.

So... when a purposly frozen over cave enter your sight after i left your first reponse is ' let's melt that down to see what's inside?' Not 'let's ask WHY he did that so we don't unlease the 5th apocalypse this week'?

When you put it like that it makes us sound really stupid

Did you, or did you not melt enough ice to prevent whatever was inside from coming out for ATLEAST a thousand years?

So I guess the blue gnome disintegrated? Or is it still under the rubble to the side, while Kirk basically only removed enough for a path? They didn't find Jade's stuff either.
The Guardian was a little bit farther in. Jade's bag has been moved from near the entrance of the cavern, by someone/thing.

Looks like Glenn will be going out there again
Good call. He just has a little Parisian task first.

I hope Glenn goes of on the young heroes for not trusting him
It's about time. I wanted his little outburst and fight with Jade, to show he's only going to tolerate so much. This is probably too much from his friends and he's going to let them know.

So... when a purposly frozen over cave enter your sight after i left your first reponse is ' let's melt that down to see what's inside?' Not 'let's ask WHY he did that so we don't unlease the 5th apocalypse this week'?

When you put it like that it makes us sound really stupid

Did you, or did you not melt enough ice to prevent whatever was inside from coming out for ATLEAST a thousand years?

"But the Shadows told you to go, we had too make sure!"

"You know I have Blue Beetle's phone number. I can just skip you and call in the big Leagues whenever I need to."

Last edited:
Chapter 39: It Takes One To Snow One
Chapter 39: It Takes One To Snow One
Paris, France
October 17, 7:38 AM CEST

"You just brought the whole place down?" Ratcatcher's eyes widen as he accepts his coffee from a very flirty server.

Been a while since I've been so overlooked. I watch the mousy brunette write her number on the back of the buck toothed man's hand. Kind of nice to see the world doesn't revolve around me, no matter how much Roy seems to disagree.

"The presence dropped Jade and Tommy in less than a minute. Wasn't taking any chances after the cave itself starting attacking me." It's only twisting the truth a bit, but it seems to be enough to make Jade lose interest.

"So I really did call the right guy." Reaching into his jacket, Ratcatcher pulls out a very thick envelope. "You think I could ask for a favour?"

I accept it and frown as soon as I open it. "How much money is in here?" Sighing, I remember to ask about it's origin. "And please tell me it's not stolen, I just got my record wiped clean."

"Two hundred grand and it's all clean. After a month in Brest to prove it was effective, Paris brought me in to clean up the place." He lifts his hand and shows off the eight gaudy rings. "The catacombs under the city have centuries worth of treasure to find and they just want me to map it all out."

"So why are you giving me this?" It still doesn't explain handing me an envelope full of cash.

"Tommy said you let him keep almost all his loot. So this is your cut for setting me up with the job." The beady eyed man explains as if it's obvious. "I couldn't quite figure out what gas money would work out to. Just decided ten percent of whatever I find is easier to divide."

"Told you the Boss looked after us," Tommy crows in celebration, reaching up to slap hands with an equally gleeful Ratcatcher. "Just remember to keep it on the down low. Boss might get in trouble if the Justice League finds out why he timed his break out for right before the end the world."

The wink Tommy gives me at that comment, sends my head spinning with confusion. Does he think I knew about the Red Robots and planned the whole thing out like some kind of Machiavellian mastermind?

"My friends that enter a specific section of the catacombs..." Ratcatcher wrings his hands anxiously. "They just never come back and none of the rats are willing to find out why."

"So you want me to what?" Crawl around in a dark tunnel and look for rats?

Across the street, I catch a glimpse of a pale girl watching us. A long black sundress and waist length blonde hair ignore the windy morning, remaining perfectly still despite the strong breeze.

Almost as if she's just a daydream, when I turn my head for a better look the girl is gone without a trace. This again?

"Greta, you better not be haunting me again." My words startle Ratcatcher, who starts frantically scanning the nearby area. "We're friends now."

"Who are you talking to?" After deciphering some squeaks from Pinkie and the Brain, Ratcatcher asks the question for the rodents resting on his shoulder.

"One second," I growl back in response and start searching though my bag for my rarely used phone. "I need to make sure I don't have a Secret watcher."

I get no answer when I try Artemis and it's the exact same thing when I try Roy. It's not until I call Paula that I finally hear a voice.

"She said they had a mission that might take most of the weekend?" The mother's explanation is enough for me to relax. "Alright... Thanks Paula."

"Your stalker still following you?" Snorts Jade, her smirk strangely tight.

In the end, we decide to take the rodent tamer up on his request. He has almost a mile already mapped out in perfect detail and it's only the oldest sections that really pose a danger now.

"I'm just really worried about Martin. He's not a warrior, no matter what he tells the other rats." The scrawny man leads the way beneath the city and I get well and truly lost before the hour is out.

I swear we've doubled back on ourselves at least three times. But the ground is still covered in a fresh layer of dust, with only the tracks of critters pressed into it.

"What do you think we're looking for?" I'd rather not face danger blind and try to get some more information out of our guide.

"... I'm trying to find the Philosopher's Stone." He hangs his head after a few seconds of internal debate. "I found a few decoy laboratories already and think Martin finally found the real one. But something bad happened to him."

He sniffles for another few hundred feet, only stopping when we find a door of stone blocking the corridor. "This is as far as the rats will go. Whatever the cause is, it's behind this door."

"Alright." I'm not risking all of us and give Tommy and Jade clear instructions to wait here. "If I'm not back in three hours, go get the Justice League. Ted Kord's number is in my phone and he can get you in touch with the heroes."

"But-" Tommy tries to insist on coming, only to get silenced with a firm no.

"I need you to look after Nora. Not die a mile under Paris because I was careless." I cross my arms and cock an eyebrow at Jade. "You better go with him. This is a private contract, Shadows not invited."

That just pisses the assassin off and she makes that clear with her snarl. "So why the hell did you bring us all the way down here?"

"So someone knew where to look." Ratcatcher has millions of friends mapping the place out and he's not even a quarter done yet. "I'd kind of like to be found..." I express as much discomfort for the cramped tunnel as I can with just a single expression. "Preferably before I starve to death."

I freeze the hallway between us, confident it will last the time I allotted. "And if Paris collapses, it means something really bad was down here."

"What could bring the whole city down?" Gasps Ratcatcher as I push the stone door open, the ancient rock screeches like a banshee until I finish.

"Me." If it comes down to it, I'll do what I have to.

"Please tell me hat's the backup plan?" He stutters back with raw fear in his voice.

Confirming that only eases his fears a slight bit. But the sight of golden rats littering the floor, has his terror shooting through the roof.

"Martin..." Ratcatcher reaches down and grabs a solid gold rat that to my eyes, looks identical to the rest.

I give him as long as I can to grieve. But when he starts saying goodbye to each rat individually, I have to put my foot down. "You want to stop this from happening to anymore of your friends, or not?"

"Sorry." He wipes his eyes and carefully places the rats he befriended in his satchel. "I'm ready."

He follows a half pace behind me as I enter a room that I first think is made from sandstone. No... That's just what centuries of blood stains look like.

I try not to spend to long staring at the implements I assume had been used for torture. Instead I allow my gaze to focus on the faint pulses of crimson light.

A ruby a little bigger than the diamond I found yesterday, is carved with the same perfection. It doesn't hum a lullaby like the crystal girl though. It trills with an agony and only my helmet saves me from the wave of force.

Ratcatcher's face contorts in pain as a bubble of scarlet energy expands rapidly. It washes over him effortlessly, he and his clothes turned into even more of the precious metal in less time than it takes me to open my mouth.

The energy doesn't stop and I flinch in preparation for my sudden end. Except even though I feel it crackle against my skin, something about Thanagarian metal saves my life.

My helmet crackles with energy and emits a pulse of it's own. The instant it does, the wave of crimson energy fades away from my body harmlessly.

"I'm really glad you came prepared." The girl from the cafe is back, this time speaking with a voice that sounds like it has experienced endless lifetimes. "I heard about your dream and thought it was a very interesting one. I didn't even have to nudge your path very much, you just jump right in with both feet."

"... Huh?" That rocks my thoughts and I find it hard to formulate a response more complex than grunting.

"Chaos might have it's claws wrapped around you. But just like the luck you seem connected to on a spiritual level, it's not just good or bad." She shrugs at my confused face and asks me to help her disciple out of the wizards cage. "Your friends could really use some help and I've needed someone to bring Kole's family back for a very long time."

She makes no visual gesture and yet I know she's the reason a silver cloud of sand rises into a spinning disc. It settles into a black and white movie of Young Justice. Almost the entire team is sound asleep in the cavern I just buried and I can only grind my teeth in frustration.​

Man, after this any trust he had for Artemis and company will be in the dumps.

If they disregarded his efforts to warn people away--and deny The Shadows what fuckery is there--what else have they screwed with during his trip?
Oh yeah. It's going to be a very stormy relationship for a while.

Interlude 23: Safety Fails
Interlude 23: Safety Fails
Womb of the Earth, France
October 17, 7:52 AM CEST

"He's alive!" Gasps M'gann as she picks up sheer terror from the caveman. "And scared."

"I don't blame him." With a pang of sympathy, Huntress remembers exactly what that sensation was like. "Was probably the worst day of my entire life."

Taking a long pause to consider how stupid it is, Red Arrow gives the order to start melting the ice. "Miss Martian. Can you make contact with him while we wait for the ice to melt?"

He eyes glow white and a hand is pressed against the ice. "... He's scared we're going to take her away too."

"Can't really blame him, his friend must be worth millions." Roy scowls at the diamond girl also entombed in a block of ice.

"You think all this was just to find the worlds most expensive statue?" Shaking his head, Robin goes back to the cave paintings in hopes of finding his own clues. "Something else has to be here."

Spraying the ice with short jets of flame, Danette tries to get the caveman out without injuring him. "Be ready to restrain hi-"

The ice around the diamond girl shatters into fine pieces, with the now freed figure tilting her head at the new arrivals. Coming to a decision, the diamond girl starts to hum.

The music is more than just noise, it reaches right into the mind and whispers goodnight. One by one, those with beating hearts collapse in a snoring heap.

The spirit of Greta Hayes and the gynoid Firebrand are unaffected, watching friends snore on the glowing moss. Left alone with the equally strange pair now freed from the ice, only Captain Marvel seems to still be in a state to help.

"Firebrand, you have to get us out of here." The ten year old in disguise barely manages to yawn, his heavy eyes watching M'gann try to lift herself from the cave floor.

The largest of them makes a few deep grunts and roars the only word he seems to know. "Gnarrk!"

"I know we must have really freaked you out and I'm sorry Gnarrk." His divine gifts allow him to understand what the cavemen meant. "You can call me Captain Marvel and I just want to help."

The crystal girl emits three long chimes, warning the strangers of the true danger. Her plea is enough to convince Billy Batson, not hearing a shred of deceit in the voice.

"Knights came and took the rest of your family?" His faces morphs into sorrow. "And you couldn't keep them both asleep by yourself anymore?"

Gnarrk and Kole are relieved at finally being able to communicate with outsiders and soon Captain Marvel is narrowing his eyes. "What do you mean it's too late? He can't quite get an exact match for the caveman's mumbling. "The sky demon is awake?"

A voice shrieks from every direction at once and nowhere at the same time. No words are coherent aside from the barest promise of agony. Hatred for anything sentient, drips with each sound that echoes though the cavern.

<Where is she?> The voice drowns every organic mind present under the weight of it's psychic power. <How long have I slept?>

The words aren't English or even human. But the basic message gets across perfectly fine and it rocks all who experience it.

M'gann somehow finds the strength to climb to her feet, only to have her entire world be torn apart. Every bit of moss ignites and sends the Martian girl cowering back in terror.

The fire moves as fast as Wally, engulfing her friends in searing heat as it races towards her. <No!>

<Burn!> The monster slaughtering her friends cackles in her mind. <All shall burn!> Sheer glee at her torment, crushes M'gann beneath it's vile grip.

Firebrand tries to combat the flames, using her own mastery to extinguish them before it's too late. But the second she leaves herself open, a bone white demon tears her in half with flaming claws.

Captain Marvel doesn't even have time to do more than raise his arms, the primordial Martian phasing a hand right through his heart. <Die for me!>

The blood that splatters across M'gann's face is hot and sticky, making the horrified girl cry out in horror. We're all going to die and no one even knows where to look for our bodies.

"Gnarrk!" The caveman's roar cuts right through her grief, just long enough for M'gann to watch the diamond girl smash into the monster.

The caveman doesn't let up his furious assault and delivers crushing attacks against the monster with all of his might. "Gnarrk!"

Savage blow after bone shattering strike, Gnarrk lays into the flaming foe. All of his rage at his stolen family, is delivered against the shrieking monster.

A beam of azure light, emerges from a suddenly present disc of silver mist. "What in the damn hell is wrong with all of you?"

Sub-Zero emerges from the portal, a blonde girl watching him with a sadistic smirk. The ice manipulator has a glowing red ruby clutched to his chest with one arm as he stomps forward. Writhing on the ground in agony, the inhumane creature is at his mercy.

He slams the gem against the monster and to M'gann's astonishment, everything is over in a flash of gold light. She blinks in shock at the sight of a golden replica of the monster.

"Oh that was pretty. You're way more fun than the stupid knights who found this place first." The odd child claps excitedly. "They lost almost all of the fragments. But you still figured out a way to make it work."

She floats up and pats Glenn on the head like a dog. "I'm keeping you. So don't go and do something stupid like bore me."

"The Dreamstone was supposed to keep that stupid Guardian's breeding pair, asleep the whole way back to Oa." The inhumanly knowledgeable being rolls her eyes, seemingly unconcerned by the Earth shattering information being revealed. "Klarion gave them a little push and had his fun for the last fifty thousand years. Now it's my turn."

"The guy who worked with Psimon?" Wally groans as he rubs his temples vigorously.

"He's as much a guy, as I am a child." The smirking blonde offers but her expression is quickly losing interest in the topic. "Kole and the other fragments might have the ability to teak reality on their own. But together, they could probably even put things back how you remember them."

The way Glenn reacts to the words implies a deeper meaning, though M'gann can't even pick up his surface thoughts to find out. It doesn't look like anyone really knows how to react to his sudden rescue, with all the teens trading looks of guilt.

Gnarrk remembers who froze him though and bellows a warning to his new allies. He only stops when the diamond girl loops her arm though his and trills soothing words.

"Don't worry Dude, I'll be gone as soon as I finish yelling at my 'friends'." Giving the now calm caveman a look of apology, Glenn turns his harshest glare on the entirety of Young Justice.

"I'm sorry..." Artemis is the first to utter an apology, the shame nearly choking her.

"I thought I could trust you," Retorts a chillingly cold Glenn, his eyes boring right into his childhood friend. "But now I know why the League doesn't let you handle the big stuff. They don't trust you either."

He snorts at the realization and really hammers the point home. "You want to stop being treated like sidekicks. Start acting like heroes."

Roy tries to respond and Glenn just growls right over him. He's so mad, no actual words come out for a full five seconds.

"I helped you save the world last month and yet you think I need a babysitter?" He snarls at the red faced teens, not holding any of his pent up fury back this time. "The League trusted me to protect an entire city by myself and they gave you two!"

"Ouch..." Rocket winces at the brutal words, confused at why no one is really defending themselves.

"Don't call me unless the world is ending." Glenn stalks towards the silver disc that reveals a laboratory with a few more gold statues visible from M'gann's angle. "I need some space and this damn well better have earned it."

The girl that is definitely not human, coughs just as Glenn is about to step through the portal. "As much as I like you, you aren't the sharpest person I've ever met." She giggles when her frosty companion freezes in place and growls.

"What are you trying to say?" He very visibly restrains himself from yelling again.

"If you want to be able to use that thing to do more than a one to one transmutation..." The girl's eyes shine with mischief at the same time her hands snatch the ruby from Glenn. "You really need someone with more computing power to make the wish. Unless you want the Ratcatcher guy to get turned into all skin, when you inevitably fail to visual all of his atoms at the same time."

Glenn closes his eyes and counts out loud all the way to thirty. "Danette. I need your help and I'm willing to forgive you, if you come with us." He turns to Red Arrow with his eyes shimmering with betrayal. "I'll be done in a few hours. Pick her up in Paris when you're finished unleashing some more monsters I buried."​

Last edited:
Huh. That's a weird stopping point with a weird gap.

It's not even hidden text... How Bizzare.

things-that-make-you-go-hmmm-batman.gif

So what M'gann experienced was a psychic horror-vision, with some real fire elements? Firebrand and Billy did not die to the Martian, that was in her head?​

To be honest it feels like this part of the story is missing a chapter. Part of a chapter. Now the fact that this section is not from Glenn's point of view skews things a bit; it is clear Glenn passed whatever test he needed to in order to grab that red gem. And we saw his girl companion whip up a livestream of the Young Justice team sleeping and in danger so him getting wormholed into the cave makes sense.

Things other than that were very confusing. I understand a bit of why Glenn is mad- he redeemed himself, but instead of TALKING to him out of sight of Jade about his actions, Young Justice screwed up his hard work. Recklessly. And displayed that they don't trust him. He literally tried to call Roy, Artemis, and successfully did call Artemis's mom to talk to them. I'd like to note that it was after he got the idea that Secret was stalking him again, but it works as an example that he was not going to hide this.

What two cities is Glenn talking about, what two cities did YJ "get" to protect? Happy Harbor he shouldn't know about, is he talking about something YJ did during the poison ivy/joker fiasco? What was with the byplay between Sub-Zero and Gnarrk? Yeah, one froze the latter, but it was only due to the "blue gnome said the world was at risk" factor? Basically "it wasn't personal?"

I strongly doubt Gnarrk and Kole(?) are going to join YJ now. They have a LOT to learn about modern society and behavior; Gnarrk is basically Hulk right now. However if a new team of "heroes" show up and these two have no reason to suspect them… Perhaps the G-gnomes will get these two sorted.

So! Just so everyone is clear. Gnarrk is a Cro-Magnon who lived near the fallen meteorite that gave Vandal Savage immortality. Gnarrk got a fragment of that meteorite in his chest, which gave him enhanced strength and some mental enhancement(s) which let him think while frozen in stasis. In the past Savage had to fight a Burning Martian, a progenitor of modern martians, which were devolved by the Guardians of the Universe. A burning Martian in a stasis pod landed here. In this story, a guardian came to Earth with/after the burning Martian and made(?) Cole to keep it in slumber. Gnarrk helped beat it whenever it got rowdy until the psychic singing could take effect again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back