• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

The Arcana Beat (Abandoned, sadly)

Re: The Arcana Beat (QQ Version) (PLAYERS CHOSEN, CHECK OP)

Liam-don said:
Patch-up Brand Healing Salve x3

I'd go for the first aid kit, but the description makes me think its effectiveness is roll based. ???

Can I cast Sight on someone else?

Are you going to be the healer/support. I'll see if I can get a couple of support as well to help out as well. I'm mainly going to go for defense with some ranged offense I think though.

Also I really hope you can cast sight on others cause it would definitely help out with my ranged attack and getting a good view of the battle to make a plan... and weak points maybe.

Edit: Double-checked. Libra is mixed air not just supportive. My bad.

Last edited by a moderator:

(Yup. Sight can be cast on others. And the first aid kit and salves both are roll based, it's just that the first aid kit has more tools and is more complex. Therefore, you're more likely to end up fucking something up because there's a difference between a bandage that's been applied properly and a bandage that's cut off blood flow. At least 25% of the department's hospital bills are because of Rookies getting too gungho in their healing methods. That's why it's not standard kit.)

ShadowAngelBeta said:
Are you going to be the healer/support. I'll see if I can get a couple of support as well to help out as well. I'm mainly going to go for defense with some ranged offense I think though.

No specific role in mind. I'm not thinking farther than keeping our troops out of the hospital for as long as possible.P

Liam-don said:
No specific role in mind. I'm not thinking farther than keeping our troops out of the hospital for as long as possible.P

*Snort :) My exact thinking with wanting to learn some variation of Earth Wall or Stalagmite a.s.a.p.

I am wondering if we should not pool our resources here and instead of the 3 salves we share the cost for the Rookie Healthcare Plan Brand First-Aid Kit- as they are already included there.

Scia said:
I am wondering if we should not pool our resources here and instead of the 3 salves we share the cost for the Rookie Healthcare Plan Brand First-Aid Kit- as they are already included there.

I'm good either way, but if the other two want to get it I'll chip in fifty. I think the salves will cover our early battles as long as we play this smart though.

Scia said:
First aid kit is more likely to make things worse, so I'd rather not.

Francine wanders back around and snatches the papers directly from each of your hands. She then motions for the lot of you to gather around. With care and precision she hands each of you your requested equipment, calmly and neatly making little marks on bits of paper that she then files away. Then, with this done, she turns to look at all of you and speaks.

"Alright, that's everything sorted." Francine sniffs and looks like she's about to say something else. Just as it looks like she's about to do or say something else, the giant of an officer from earlier comes downstairs and more or less pushes all of you out to the parking lot, then shoves you into a van before heading to the driver's seat.

It's going to be a bit of time before you get to the scene of the incident. Maybe you should make small talk?

"...so, any other pyromancers present? Or do I have to do all the fire lighting?"

"Well my only way to deal with a perp is hitting him with a large stick or using a gun as my magic is mainly about supporting you and making sure that they are not hurting us."

"I shoot rocks." *Shrug* "Hoping to learn some kind of Earth Wall or Stalagmite type spell soon for defense soon though."

"So may I ask how many of you where already part of the police force before you landed here?" I stretch myself and stash the gear on my body while I am checking all of my equipment.

"Was planning on it but ended up here first." *Shrug* "Way the winds blow I guess" I respond while getting myself familiar with the various tools on my new Field Knife.

One of the other rookies speaks up and mumbles out something to the man shaped wall of muscle of an officer from before. He then glances around at all of you before fixing the poor unfortunate soul with a stare. And then you hear the sound of a volcano erupting, or so you think until you realize its the man's voice. On the plus side, you no longer have to use the bathroom.

"All other cities are doing fine. All is well. Now be prepared. For we are here."

And with that the doors fling open and you, along with the other rookies, are dragged unceremoniously through to witness a rather large and rapidly spinning beast that seems to be trying its level best to destroy the surrounding area. Its already wrecked a car.

You see the burly officer just standing out in the open some distance away, obviously expecting you to do something.

So what do you do against a giant eye with tendrils that's spinning fast enough to just tear through things?

Giant Eye Beast Thing
???? Arcana Type
Health: ??

Hey are there any spots left for me to join?

*Raises an eyebrow* 'Well that's a thing' I think while getting an idea of what the terrain looks like and looking for any other weakspots besides the giant eye screaming 'Hit Me!'

I curse for a moment and then move behind another car while I try to create a puddle under the fiend, and then cool it down to ice.

Monster has an eye? Shoot fire at the eye. Logic says it's the weakpoint.

I stare at the mono-eyed shredder in front of me, and then at my standard issue stick. "Right, I have a feeling I know why so many people ended up in the hospital. If I survive this, I'm making a cost benefit analysis of properly equipping our force versus paying for many many months of hospital bills."

"There'll be charts. Lots of charts," I swear under my breath.

"Anyway," I say louder, to the entire team. "I vote for softening it up from afar before trying to close in." A beat. "Anyone has an idea as to how to do that?"

OOC: Sorry for the late post. Real life and all that.

Well, Scia and OccularOctorok's actions are definitely the sort of thing I'm hoping for, but can their characters even do that? ???

Liam-don said:
I stare at the mono-eyed shredder in front of me, and then at my standard issue stick. "Right, I have a feeling I know why so many people ended up in the hospital. If I survive this, I'm making a cost benefit analysis of properly equipping our force versus paying for many many months of hospital bills."

"There'll be charts. Lots of charts," I swear under my breath.

"Anyway," I say louder, to the entire team. "I vote for softening it up from afar before trying to close in." A beat. "Anyone has an idea as to how to do that?"

OOC: Sorry for the late post. Real life and all that.

Well, Scia and OccularOctorok's actions are definitely the sort of thing I'm hoping for, but can their characters even do that? ???

"If Nele is doing what I think he is then I might be able to rapid-fire some rocks into its eye. Small ones that will punch right through it hopefully... either that or I run for my life cause I pissed the thing off," *shrug* "but in that case Mr. Burn-it-with-Fire should be able to get to it and do... something. Although I have no idea why Nele is hiding behind a car, that things tentacles look like they could crush one pretty easily and hiding back there you wouldn't be able to see it coming either."

As Artemas goes to punch fire into the beast's presumed weakspot, another rookie runs up chanting something under their breath. As the chant finishes there's a glow that suddenly envelops the both of them, though the glow around the unknown rookie fades shortly after. And so it was that Artemas ended up setting the eye on fire. There is a noise that sounds as though nails on glass. That's the only warning anyone gets before the creature drops to the ground and starts spinning ever more rapidly, the tendrils smacking and smashing Artemas in multiple locations. The robes padding helps to absorb some of the force but not much. It then, mid spin, launches itself at him!

Or rather, tries to shortly before it ends up absolutely drenched with that spell. Absolutely livid, the giant eye thing starts smashing at anything and everything nearby, desperately attempting to make contact with something. It scatters a few cars, badly denting the doors and smashing the glass, along with smashing Artemas and the unknown rookie a few times more. A few of its tendrils even catch a few rocks, which get flown in every direction, smashing windows and hitting people not hiding behind things. A particularly sizable rock flings near the burly officer before he catches it without flinching.

It seems to calm ever so slightly and in the aftermath of its first attack there's been a drastic change in where things are. Namely, that car pile wasn't there before and there's a lot of broken glass everywhere.

I get up pushing the rock that had hit me away and brushing off the dust "Okay. That hurt. Let's try my part now." Staying light on my feet so I can hopefully dodge the next thing that tries to hit me or run away like a rabbit on crack if all I do is piss this thing off, I pull up my only magi spell and attempt to both sharpen the projectiles and fire them as quickly as possible even if it sacrifices some of the size. 'I really hope this fucking works... or at least hurts the damn thing.'

Did I die?

Hm was the problem with my idea that I was simply not strong enough or was it something else?

OccularOctorok said:

OoC: I don't think so. Though you are probably out of the battle with quite a few broken or cracked bones unless you find a healer

Scia said:
Hm was the problem with my idea that I was simply not strong enough or was it something else?

If I had to guess I would say its cause we're noobs and these tings seem strong enough that it might take three or four working in synch to stop the thing. You slowed it down though which I'm pretty sure is what saved Octo and is giving me my shot, unless I jumped the gun and I'm actually seriously injured or something. But he didn't post anything like that so I think we're good still... well except Octo anyway.

(Not dead, no broken bones, but definitely bruised pretty badly. And magic works like spell casting IE A spell that says it freezes things will freeze things not dump water on a thing. You're not elementbenders, you're mages.)

Moronis said:
(Not dead, no broken bones, but definitely bruised pretty badly. And magic works like spell casting IE A spell that says it freezes things will freeze things not dump water on a thing. You're not elementbenders, you're mages.)
Well I was thinking that I was not strong enough to freeze the whole thing yet as cold/ice is after all no element. Thus I wanted to first create water so that I got something to freeze and then freeze the water so that it looses frictions and falls over.

Moronis said:

Okay. But I also remember you saying that we have some wiggle room in terms of things like the size of the clods I end up shooting. I don't know if that comment was aimed at me but I was going for a rapid-fire casting of smaller but hopefully sharper, either by just forming them more sharply or having the ends chipped off, if possible, when they were forming for the spell. I kind of assumed here a bit but with the wiggle room you gave us, the insta-casting, and what is essentially infinite MP I thought something like this may be possible... although I can see how making the clods sharper might be outside my abilities.

(There is some wiggle room, yeah. It's just not to a really huge extent. This is my bad, I'll admit it, should've better described the exact nature of the spells. I'll go and fix that right now in fact.)

Moronis said:
(There is some wiggle room, yeah. It's just not to a really huge extent. This is my bad, I'll admit it, should've better described the exact nature of the spells. I'll go and fix that right now in fact.)

Alright that helps a bit more. And it looks like my action will still work?

Also Liam/Cain, please cast Sight on everyone a.s.a.p. ... I have to wonder if it would have allowed Hot-head to avoid a couple more tentacles if he had had it cast on him. Oh well, live and learn.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back