• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

The City of Pern (D&D 3.5)

ooc:
Aw crap, when I edited my post to attach my sheet it tripped the anti-tampering thing for the dice...

Dunno if anyone saw my post before but I can reroll if everyone wants.

By the way did we have a marching order in mind? so far as I can tell its Ras followed by Adah followed by Sukk.

L'wren looks around trying to see into the dark corners up ahead. It's dark and moist. The echoing footsteps make it hard to concentrate. After all, she did not want to be ambushed down here, especially in such a small amount of space. Rats could be heard squeaking somewhere in the distance.

[blockquote]Rolled 1d20+2 : 4 + 2, total 6[/blockquote]

ooc: if anyone has any suggestions for L'wren, I'd be grateful. She'll be getting a better weapon soon.

***Hey guys just noticed that if you try to edit your post after you've rolled it'll say its been tampered with...(I originally rolled a 6, so thats what I'll stick with if no one has any objections)***

ooc:

The first thing that comes to mind is your equipment; you are proficient in both heavy armour and the greatsword yet carry neither, is there an in character reason for this?
Secondly is the choice of feats; toughness and die-hard are generally considered pretty substandard though as a cleric you can do pretty good with just your spells.
What books do you have available? Knowing what you have to hand will help greatly in offering advice.

ooc:

With a dex of 12, I would recommend full plate mail. As a cleric, you have access to create food and water, so I have to agree with Maelgrim that those feats aren't necessary. I would suggest replacing them with feats that will put you towards a prestige class you would like to aim for. If this was in character I would 'suggest' pointing you in the direction of Dracolyte or Dragonkith (most likely Dragonkith) *grin*.

If you're not sure what direction you want to take your character in (or don't want to prestige), you might want to look at turning and metamagic feats.

Did you put down what two domains you chose? Those give you an extra ability each as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
The lead party members spot something... Glistening just before it drops from the ceiling with a loud splat, scattering the party but failing to land on anyone. It makes a loud ruckus as hidden objects within it strike the stone floor and clank and jingle.

Hide Check - Failed

Attack of Opportunity (AOO for future reference) - Failed

Initiative
dice_warn.gif
This dice roll has been tampered with!
Rolled 1d20-5 : 16 - 5, total 11

The monster pulls itself together, forming into a thick blob. It sits nearly three feet high and almost four feet around, though its shape is not uniform. Small objects embedded just below the inky black surface reflect the light of the lanterns, like snowflakes in a globe or stars on a clear night.

OOC: Notice, this is not a standard monster covered in the monster manual. However for stat purposes it's identical to the ochre jelly. Also, draw your weapons and roll initiative everyone. Once that's done I'll post our turn order. Assume at the moment you're just outside of melee range surrounding the monster.

IC: Erikur barely manages to scramble out of the way when he notices his draconic friend doing the same. Instinctively he puts one hand on his sword and draws, using both hands once it's partway out of its binding across his back.

Initiative
dice_warn.gif
Rolled 1d20+2 : 11 + 2, total 13
Knowledge devotion boost [Dungeoneering 0]
dice_warn.gif
Rolled 1d20 : 15, total 15
Null- No dungeoneering ranks.

OOC2: My "Tampering" was just adding the words Null- No dungeoneering ranks, meaning I don't get the bonuses from knowledge devotion for this encounter.

Initiative:
[blockquote]Rolled 1d20+3 : 9 + 3, total 12[/blockquote]

Adah already has his hammer out so that'll save time.

"Hey, I'm the only one allowed to stick to ceilings! I wonder if that's tasty."

Initiative: [blockquote]Rolled 1d20+2 : 2 + 2, total 4[/blockquote]

And, so to save myself a post and give the party a heads up, as my first action I'm going to try my slow breath on it. 15 ft. cone DC 14 vs Fortitude to resist Slow effect.

Turns until can reuse breath: [blockquote]Rolled 1d4 : 4, total 4[/blockquote]

Afterwards, I'll move up the wall.

Initiative

[blockquote]Rolled 1d20+2 : 3 + 2, total 5[/blockquote]

drawing flail, is this tunnel 5ft wide or wider?

A fair bit larger than that, yeah.
When it comes to the underground architecture, assume there were dwarves involved.

Adah, knowing about Ras' penchant for cursing his foes with his breath hangs back until he's sure that the diminutive Dragon has had his shot (delaying action) then charges the blob with Colveslki held high shouting "For Vo Khadar!"

1 attack roll subtracting 3 from BAB for power attack: [blockquote]Rolled 1d20+6 : 8 + 6, total 14[/blockquote]

And damage to save time [blockquote]Rolled 1d8+10 : 5 + 10, total 15[/blockquote]

ooc; Fire and STones method means I count as using my warhammer two-handed for the purposes of power attack even though i'm only using one hand

[blockquote]Rolled 1d20+1 : 7 + 1, total 8[/blockquote]

L'wren draws the morning star and starts to think of several spells that might come in handy. The sickening blob seems to have devoured everything that's ever touched it.

Ooc: I eventually am going to get an adamantine great sword, as for books I have the players manual, the core books, the libris mortis, the magic item compendium, and the complete arcane

DM: The turn order is as follows
Sikle
Maelgrim
Ooze (Oilslick)
Phoenix
Highmongrel
Garahs

Ooze failed to resist the slow effect.
Ooze takes 15 points of damage.

I'm going to assume that people who were properly prepared have already performed their own counter-attacks of opportunity, and I'm going to start this out following the above order.

IC: Erikur takes a deep breath and intones the spell touch of fatigue while gesticulating with one hand before fully grasping his greatsword and channeling the spell through it and swinging.
To hit - [blockquote]Rolled 1d20+5 : 15 + 5, total 20[/blockquote]
If it hit - [blockquote]Rolled 2d6+1 : 3, 2 + 1, total 6[/blockquote]
Saving throw against Touch of Fatigue from the duskblade is 14

Oozes saving throw is [blockquote]Rolled 1d20+8 : 13 + 8, total 21[/blockquote]

If its my go again then I hit it with my hammer with the same penalty as before

[blockquote]Rolled 1d20+6 : 8 + 6, total 14[/blockquote]

Damage: [blockquote]Rolled 1d8+10 : 6 + 10, total 16[/blockquote]

The Ooze moves to retaliate against Adah.

It attempts a body slam!

[blockquote]Rolled 1d20+5 : 13 + 5, total 18[/blockquote]

If it landed then it caused

[blockquote]Rolled 2d4+3 : 2, 1 + 3, total 6[/blockquote] and an additional [blockquote]Rolled 1d4 : 4, total 4[/blockquote] acid damage!

Should it land the hit, it attempts a grapple as a free action.

[blockquote]Rolled 1d20+5 : 9 + 5, total 14[/blockquote] to succeed.

You know slime, if this were another time... Hahahaha no I'm gonna enjoy making you go splat. Pretty cathartic even if it's not overly challanging.

OOC: Move to flank, combat expertise 2

Roll to hit:
[blockquote]Rolled 1d20+11 : 5 + 11, total 16[/blockquote]
Roll damage:
[blockquote]Rolled 1d6+7 : 2 + 7, total 9[/blockquote]

L'wren moves to hit with her morning star:
[blockquote]Rolled 1d20+6 : 20 + 6, total 26[/blockquote]

if I hit then >

[blockquote]Rolled 1d6+2 : 3 + 2, total 5[/blockquote]

"Ewww....its all slimy and jiggley and oozy"

OOC: Sorry for a double post but it looks like I ht critical :p

[blockquote]Rolled 1d20+6 : 11 + 6, total 17[/blockquote]

If I hit> damage x2

[blockquote]Rolled 1d6+2 : 2 + 2, total 4[/blockquote]

"DIE OOZE!! No more turtle soup for you!!"

ooc: Just to make sure, no one's waiting on me, right? Since I put my action when I rolled my init...

Though I forgot to roll for slow duration.
[blockquote]Rolled 1d6+1 : 4 + 1, total 5[/blockquote]

OOC: It's an ooze, so its AC was abysmal to start. Add in the slow effect robbing a point from its already poor armor class and, well...
I honestly thought this was going to be more of a challenge for us. As such I'm altering my plans accordingly.

IC: "Burn" Erikur said, tightening his grip on his greatsword. "Burn, burn, Burn!" He thrust one hand forward, flames flinging from his open palm.

Spellcast: Burning Hands
Effect: Cone of flame
Damage: 1d4 Fire damage per caster level, maximum of five.

[blockquote]Rolled 4d4 : 1, 2, 4, 4, total 11[/blockquote]
Reflex save halves damage. Needs to roll a 15

DM: Ochre jelly reflex save is [blockquote]Rolled 1d20-3 : 9 - 3, total 6[/blockquote]

OOC: don't worry too much about making things too easy for a new group. Better that then making things too difficult and accidentally the whole party without deus ex machina. Oh the stories of my early DMing.

OOC: Oh yeah I had terrible trouble with killing my entire party, they'd always find some inventive way of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.
Finest example was when they were fighting a group of Tritons on land in a fight 2 below their CR when the Wizard dropped a deeper darkness on the battle for some reason (despite KNOWING that these Tritons had blindsight) and the party was shortly butchered due to being unable to hit anything.

I'll just hit it with my Hammer again.

Attack: [blockquote]Rolled 1d20+6 : 9 + 6, total 15[/blockquote]

Damage: [blockquote]Rolled 1d8+10 : 5 + 10, total 15[/blockquote]

The screech of metal across metal assaults the parties ears as the creature suffers what could best be described as a seizure, the sound eerily reminiscent of a scream.

The aberration is flailing wildly, smoke pouring off of it in thick, choking gouts. The taste of burning oil fills the air. It flings itself bodily at the source of the flames.

[blockquote]Rolled 1d20+4 : 14 + 4, total 18[/blockquote] to hit

[blockquote]Rolled 2d4+3 : 3, 1 + 3, total 7[/blockquote] as well as [blockquote]Rolled 1d4 : 4, total 4[/blockquote] acid damage.

DM: Erikur takes 11 damage. Whoever his player is was too stupid to have him wear any armor. Or even to cast his mage armor spell...

Oh... Wait a second.

L'wren swings againat the seizing jelly...

[blockquote]Rolled 1d20+6 : 6 + 6, total 12[/blockquote]

and if she hits:

[blockquote]Rolled 1d6+2 : 2 + 2, total 4[/blockquote]

She backs away waiting for the jelly to make its next move.

Assuming it's still alive on my turn. combat exp 4

Hit
[blockquote]Rolled 1d20+9 : 6 + 9, total 15[/blockquote]
Damage
[blockquote]Rolled 1d6+7 : 1 + 7, total 8[/blockquote]

Rasvimrach swoops down with great fervor to determine if this thing is tasty to eat, making a flyby bite attack and heading to the opposite wall.

Attack: [blockquote]Rolled 1d20+6 : 3 + 6, total 9[/blockquote]

Damage: [blockquote]Rolled 1d4-1 : 4 - 1, total 3[/blockquote] (min 1 dmg)

The ooze releases one final sound, a trilling, wet warble that echoes hauntingly off the stones before falling flat. Black flecks are slowly removed by the thin, ever present stream of moving water down the center of the pipe.

As the oozes corpse dissolves, objects can be seen gleaming from the muck.

Loot!

1 Steel Long Sword (Masterwork)
1 Steel Greatsword (Masterwork)
1 Steel Shield (Large)
1 Suit of Platemail
1 Suit of Banded Mail
8 Rings (2 Diamond, 2 Ruby, 4 sapphire)
6 Hooded Lanterns (Empty(
3 Platinum, 40 Gold, 70 Silver, 32 Copper

The party receives 450 XP

There are countless small bones, and three partial human skeletons, though the bones are pockmarked and strangely flexible.

L'wren loooks around and silently picks up the Steel Great sword.

"Finally something more suited to my abilities"

Then looks at the suit of banded mail.

"This is all I'll be taking if no one else minds, strange though, for how big it was you'd think there would have been more *smirk* "

She looks around the rest of the tunnel making sure there isn't anyone else.... *rolls a spot check*

[blockquote]Rolled 1d20+2 : 9 + 2, total 11[/blockquote]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back