• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

The City of Pern (D&D 3.5)

Rasvimrach's eyes almost sparkle at the sight of the jewelry and coins, even though the equipment is likely worth more.

"If no one cares, I'd like the rings and maybe the coins. I gotta build my hoard." A dragon has to have standards, you know.

"Do we want to make sure there's nothing else down here?"

Last edited by a moderator:
"Claws away from the rings Drake, such things are seldom what they seem and until they are valued and checked for fell magics then they shall remain under the geas of this group and not your bedding."
Adah crouches next to the bones and nudges one with his hammer.
"What would a clothier or a thieves guild be doing with field plate? why are their enough lanterns for six, enough arms and armour for two and enough bones for three? methinks that there is more to this 'draining pipe' than we first thought."

"Good question." Erikur says as he pulls the pouch off of his belt and sticks his hand into it. Using his makeshift glove he picked up the rings, rolled the pouch back off of his fist and containing the rings in it.

"We'll get these checked out later, Rav. If any of them are cursed, we can just trade 'em to a shmuck later." The bag jingled as it was reattached to his belt.

"The fella who hired us mentioned they'd hired some guild folks to clean this place out, but if they were this well equipped, how'd they lose? I'd assume crippling stupidity, and since I'm not communing with the gods I'll never know. What I do want to know, however, is where is the rest of Jim here." He kicked the skull of one of the half-complete skeletons.

L'wren looked around...

"Well there's a skull and torso...not much else...I mean I didn't do too much during battle so I got a good look around and as far as I could see no one else but us was down here."

She focused on her hearing for a few seconds. She couldn't hear any distant footsteps buuttt......

"Yeah, that was pretty easy. Any one of us could have probably done as much ourselves. Ah well, pay's pay."

Sukk takes a brief look around before his eyes settle on the loot.

"They probably got ambushed or something like that, things can be hard to see after all. Anyways, pass me the rings. I'm going to check if any are magic."

Cast detect magic, focus for 3 turns on the loot.

A diamond ring and a sapphire ring show a faint aura.

"So what do we want to do now? return for our money or search the area?"

ooc: Not fussed either way, Adah is going to want to take a day or two to learn a new mythos but other than that I've got nothing planned.

I attempt to determine the type of magic on the rings (spellcraft)

[blockquote]Rolled 1d20+2 : 10 + 2, total 12[/blockquote]
[blockquote]Rolled 1d20+2 : 14 + 2, total 16[/blockquote]

Also what is their strength.

" Might as well head back, they pay for one monster we kill one monster. Don't think we'll find much else challenging either."

"I'm for going further. Something about this sounds like there might be more down here. It's not like we have any other jobs currently. And there are all kinds of stories about heroes finding things after looking a little deeper."

The school of both rings is abjuration, and the aura shown is weak.

However, something seems off with the aura of the Diamond Ring.

ooc: could we have a little more info on the area we're currently in? is there anywhere for us to go from here or is this just a dead end? All I know is that we're in a passage way of indeterminate length and level of light.

Assuming this doesn't go anywhere does anyone else have any plans? Could always go back to the Tavern and engage in the old adventurer standby of a drinking contest for some extra cash (bar brawl optional)
Ideally Adah would like to find an expert in cross-planar travel; his homeland doesn't appear on any maps he's seen in this land and he's quite interested in getting back.

The section of pipe you're in could be considered something of a sub-basement, if you don't mind things getting rusty and mildew.

Along the walls are several channels or doorways from which filth either flows out or in, in from the east, out to the west. Most of those, especially the doorways north/south have iron bars across them preventing anything but a small creature from easily passing through.

The accessways leading west are mostly the same except for showing accelerated signs of rusting, one in the southwest corner has seemingly dissolved into small knots of rust in the walls. Most of the accessways coming in from the east show the same signs of decay.

OOC: I have plans for this later on, a quest against a huge and powerful ooze that's getting large enough to engulf the city, but that's a ways down the road. For now we may as well head back and use our newfound funds on a bar-crawl.

The little man gladly hands over the agreed upon amount of gold to the party and rushes you out the door.

Quest Complete!
500 Gold apiece
1000 Experience

Bonus
5 Gold apiece

Alright everyone, interact and go do stuff. If nobody else wants to run at a chance to DM the next quest, I'll try to figure out something a little more entertaining than a smash and grab like we just did.

ooc: Sorry for the lack of activity, haven't had a computer to use since my laptop's power supply exploded.

Dunno what everyone else wants to do but Adah is going to train up so new mythos with the extra exp we got.

"Well, shall we split the difference on identifying the rings?"

Also, at whatever magic item place is available, I wish to inquire about a decanter of endless booze.

"Yes, I'll chip in for the rings." Ras grumbles. "If either is cursed, I want it though."

ooc
Are we planning to base around this town? If so, are there unclaimed mountains in the area nearby I could stake for a lair?

(I could help with ideas should you wish, I just suck at actual DMing).

A few miles to the south-east of the city, through a thick and dying wood begins a mountain chain heading east.

OOC: My first plan was to build the city, and then worldbuild beyond that as needed. Ideas certainly wouldn't hurt. I suppose just give me an idea at what you want to do, and I'll try to build something off of it.

ooc: Does someone have and is willing to use a sending/message spell? If so, I think my character will go check out that mountain range while the rest of the group is barhopping. If another job shows up tonight somehow, he will fly back. Otherwise he'll find the inn the group is staying at when it gets late.

Unless someone has an objection.

The party minus one are bottle deep in the drink when a rather shady individual sits down at their table.

He motions to the bartender, apparently a regular, and a fresh bottle of whiskey is promptly delivered.

It's the good stuff.

As the party tries to shrug off some of the drunken haze they get a better look at the man. He's a tall half-elf, blond of hair and fair of face.

"I heard you did a good turn at the tool and die factory."

He's dressed well. More than a rung or two up the social ladder to be seen in a dive bar like this. There's a circular scar next to the man's eye, going into his hairline.

"We'll skip the pleasantries. I need to hire some mercenaries to reacquire a few things lost outside the city walls." That last part was just a turn of phrase. The city is ever-expanding. It doesn't have walls.

"In the woods outside of town are some goblins. They've taken our latest shipment of goods. Two carts full of boxes with EI stamped on them. Leave any intact boxes you find with the city watch and there will be some gold in it for you."

A second bottle was place on the table. More of the same as before. Abruptly the man got up to leave.

"Don't worry about contacting me. I'll find you."

And as quickly as he came, the man was gone.

Has everyone forgotten this?

Well, in any case, do I stumble across anything in my search of the mountains?

"Well, free booze and a fight, can't ask much more from a guy. May as well head out. Not like we have much else to do besides getting those rings identified"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back