• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
witness from without
[Fuki]

"The hell is she doing now...?" Ami interrupts your quiet tea break to mumble, staring off to the side with a scowl.

You turn your head to look yourself, taking in the scene.

That adult Jounin from the other day blitzes past fast enough that there's a strong breeze left in his wake. Not unusual, except for three points. First, Jounin don't usually bother to travel at street level. Too many ordinary people getting in the way. Second, he's running on the tips of his index fingers, entire body ninety degrees to the ground. Third, he is trailing rainbows behind him like a flapping flag.

"Aaahahahaha!" his laughter booms, as Mio and another girl sitting in piggyback sprint up behind him. "If you want to get in close, you'll have to run a little faster than that!"

"I don't want to do this any mooore!" the unknown girl... Hyuuga, from a different class, you notice now that they've closed in.

"You didn't want to do this to begin with!" Mio cheerfully rebuffs, a declaration to the world about how little she cares, a savage sort of joy thrumming through every motion.

"And I still don't want tooo!"

A moment passes, and then you set your cup down with a quiet click.

Then you stand, lifting your training sword with a smooth motion as your stool clatters backwards.

"Fuki." Ami says.

"Running is healthy. Cardio." you say.

"No no no, don't get us involved-" Ami says, breaking out into a series of vulgar words as you move into a sprint.

It doesn't help. You run full out, at your top speed, for a solid fifteen minutes as your legs scream at you and sweat oozes out of your clothes, and Mio pulls further and further away. Then a leg gives out, sending you stumbling to the ground, and she disappears entirely.

You still hadn't even seen the Jounin, not since he first zipped past you. Ami comes to a huffing stop, squatting to gasp for breath. Sweat drips off your face and onto the ground.

Mio didn't even notice the two of your, as far as you can tell. And she outran you both while carrying the full weight of a second girl to slow her down.

Is she just that strong?

No. There are definitely stronger students than her. It's not that she's strong, but that you are weak.

The realization stabs into you like a knife, and it's a surprise that you're so surprised. After all, you train with a sword... if not religiously, then at least fairly regularly. Not... in any specific style, but in the basic strikes.

You're strong. Aren't you?

For a girl, and for your age. And leaving clan kinds and crazy-obsessive trainers out of the equation. Them aside, you're near the top of the class. Only if they are left aside from the scale, and ignored.

You're strong enough that you can go pick fights with older boys, and even win. ... Does that make you strong? No. It just means those boys are weaker. That's less of a surprise than it should be. They aren't trained at all, after all. They're all going into other jobs, or don't have a plan for their future at all.

You are stronger because you've had more training. Similarly, the clan kids, the genin... they are stronger than you because they've had more training.

Your hand closes into a fist, clawing sand out of the ground.

"What are we doing...?" you say aloud.

"Running after the exercise freaks like a pack of idiots while our tea gets cold." Ami sighs.

"No... We're being left behind. Because we can't keep up." You say, struggling to your feet. "We need to train more."

"Huh? Oh, come on Fuki, are you really going to... hey, that tea is the good stuff too, are you going to waste...? Aw man..." Ami complains, grumbling as you pick up your sword.

---

Your everything is sore, and you're flopped across a public bench as Gai gives a gratifying thumbs-up and tooth ping, then disappears.

You groan quietly for a few minutes, then heave yourself up to a sitting position.

"So. What have you got?" you ask Saki, pointedly.

She sighs, rubbing her forehead.

"A headache." she answers, stiffly.

"I meant that I can use." you clarify.

"I don't know, okay? That genjutsu is... ridiculous." she grumbles. "You know I shouldn't even see it? Passive effect of the Byakugan. And it's still sunsets and rainbows and flocks of doves and the open ocean whenever he feels like it."

You wave your hand for her to continue on, and she crosses her arms in a huff, forehead wrinkling in deep thought.

"... As far as I can tell, he wasn't doing anything, either." she admits. "... I think. Maybe? There was... one unusual thing."

"Yeah? Hit me." you say.

Saki decks you full in the face, sending you sprawling across the ground.

"Figuratively." you clarify, clawing your way back up again. "Inform me of what you noticed."

"Well... excess chakra vents out from the body and disperses into the environment." Saki says, scratching the back of her neck. "Civilians don't train their chakra, so it's a small but constant amount. Ninjas, though... we use a lot, and so it seldom really fills up all the way to where it starts spilling over. Usually. But Gai... I'm not sure, but I think he was deliberately venting, whenever I was close enough to see?"

She shakes her head, though.

"I don't know why, though. Maybe one more crazy training limitation, reducing the chakra he has available? Once it's been vented it isn't like it can still be used, after all."

Huh...

---

[ ] ??

[X] Can't it ? Putting aside that, as a Jounin, he may just have figured out a way how to do so, what are Suiton and Doton techniques but manipulating chakra you've 'vented' into an element, really ?

Mio notice your minions damnit, its ok when there is a miko among them Mio will notice.At least I hope so.

So she sould not see it thanks to op eyes white version but did and best theach was dumping chackra around when minon!hyugga got close enough to see. I thing this is a indication that it doesnt enter the enemy chackra system and makes "landscape henges".

Mio notice your minions damnit, its ok when there is a miko among them Mio will notice.At least I hope so.

So she sould not see it thanks to op eyes white version but did and best theach was dumping chackra around when minon!hyugga got close enough to see. I thing this is a indication that it doesnt enter the enemy chackra system and makes "landscape henges".
I'm thinking this is either a pure manifestation of Yin Chakra or a really funky Futon.

Maybe it's like the chakra version evaporation of water?

He exposes his chakra then he gathers it make into his body like plant?

[X] Can't it ? Putting aside that, as a Jounin, he may just have figured out a way how to do so, what are Suiton and Doton techniques but manipulating chakra you've 'vented' into an element, really ?

It's pretty clear that he was using more chakra when she got close to mask the fine details of how he shaped his technique's chakra before venting, at least.

Can the Byakugan ignore ALL genjutsu, or is there a divide between ones that affect an area and ones that affect the mind? That would explain why the genjutsu affected her through her eyes. And it's exactly the sort of vulnerability the Hyuuga wouldn't want outsiders to know.

Saki needs cuddles :D

Can the Byakugan ignore ALL genjutsu,

Tayuya's sound based genjutsu works on the sharingan so maybe one that enters with a diferent area that the eyes migth work in a hyugga.

What if it is not genjutsu? What if he is actually manipulating the air/light around him to produce those colors and make the scene?

What if it is not genjutsu? What if he is actually manipulating the air/light around him to produce those colors and make the scene?
Yeah, that's what I meant by "funky Futon". Like, he's using Futon to literally manipulate the air molecule into reflecting light in the way he wants it to. It's one possibility.

So ridiculously happy to see this again.

[X] Can't it? Putting aside that, as a Jounin, he may just have figured out a way how to do so, what are Suiton and Doton techniques but manipulating chakra you've 'vented' into an element, really?
-[X] Heck, what's Gentle Fist even, if not vented yet still controlled chakra? If anything this should be like, Saki's thing, right? Being all fuck-your-chakra-use-I-have-chakra-pokes and whatnot.

what the hell is that vote supposed to mean? http://naruto.wikia.com/wiki/Nature_Transformation is what makes elemental techniques.
...That's still chakra outside the user's body though when you're talking about produced techniques, isn't it?

Spat out fireballs/air spheres/water streams, formed earth or lightning armor...

I mean, it's not like it's purely bog standard mundane water or earth or fire, when it's taking the shape of a dragon or following a projectile path that doesn't really give a hoot about gravity/doesn't care about fuel source conventions or all that.

Or to use some technique-based examples; do you think that a pressurized block of air the size of a guy's mouth can, in real life, actually bust down distant trees as we see Great Breakthrough do?

Elemental chakra is still, after all, chakra.

[X] Can't it? Putting aside that, as a Jounin, he may just have figured out a way how to do so, what are Suiton and Doton techniques but manipulating chakra you've 'vented' into an element, really?
-[X] Heck, what's Gentle Fist even, if not vented yet still controlled chakra? If anything this should be like, Saki's thing, right? Being all fuck-your-chakra-use-I-have-chakra-pokes and whatnot.
-[X] Clearly it's doing *something*, though. He's a Jounin. If it were useless, he wouldn't be doing it. This calls for experimentation!

what the hell is that vote supposed to mean? http://naruto.wikia.com/wiki/Nature_Transformation is what makes elemental techniques.
And Tobirama was utterly famous for being able to compose high level suiton jutsus from nothing.
There's no mystical infinite reserve of elemental baggage - nature transformation produces chakra with qualities of the element, yes, but that's used to enhance and control the element more often to create it - that is, typically when the elements are material substances, at least.

If you're a doton user, you're using dirtlike chakra to control dirt. A suiton user controls water with watery chakra. A fuuton user controls air with vacuous chakra. Raiton users control electrons using polarized chakra, presumably. Katon is fucking weird, I don't pretend it can be readily explained by all of this.

That being said, any sort of technique where you're able to exert control over it after it leaves your body is one where you're controlling the chakra in it. - chakra you released already. Though a technique that maintains it's shape and course of action afterwards without being under your control would just be acting on the instructions in your mental energy.

...maybe Gai sends out spiritual energy feelers to connect to the vented chakra and continue giving it instructions.

If you're a doton user, you're using dirtlike chakra to control dirt. A suiton user controls water with watery chakra. A fuuton user controls air with vacuous chakra. Raiton users control electrons using polarized chakra, presumably. Katon is fucking weird, I don't pretend it can be readily explained by all of this.

My guess is that various forms of elemental chakra can and do turn into quantities of their element as part of techniques... so, for example, a wind bullet might involve sucking in a bunch of air, keeping it pressurized with air-aspected chakra, and firing it back out again, with the chakra releasing on impact, generating a pressure burst. On the flip side, it could involve spitting out a mass of vacuous chakra that turned into a much larger mass of air on impact, generating a pressure burst. Katon just generally uses a whole lot more of the "burn your chakra into light and heat in the right place at the right time" part and a lot less of the "control the light and heat that's already there" part than most of the other elements. Doton would be at the opposite end of the scale.

Actually, that might be how they do it. Dirtlike chakra is partway from chakra to dirt - so your chakra can control it with the chakra interfaces, and it can control the dirt with the dirt interfaces. To generate more of the stuff, you just push it the rest of the way.

Mio didn't even notice the two of your, as far as you can tell. And she outran you both while carrying the full weight of a second girl to slow her down.
This is hilarious to me.

I had thought that Mio was actually a pretty terrible academy student. But she's apparently ridiculously fit. Running faster than her minions while carrying someone on her back and still has better endurance.

We now know our true personal ninja style:
We will carry a ninja on our back to cast additional spells! Surely this will let us circumvent the four man party limit and carry additional firepower.

Though honestly it would be a highly amusing training regimen to carry Saki on our back everywhere.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back